Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

My odd unpopular opinion is that I'm sadder about Grace Brady's death than Will's death. Even though Grace was a baby, I actually liked her and her potential for storylines a lot more than Will. I loved that Gabi named Ari after Grace, and I hope Grace is mentioned when Chad discovers he is the father of Abby's baby.

I've always been indifferent to Will, at best, or flat out hating his character - I hated Chandler's Will and felt that Guy's Will just had no direction. I don't think the show will be hurt at all by Will's death because I don't feel the show did a good job of making Will his own character as opposed to being an extension of Sami.

Which brings me to my next unpopular opinions. One, I don't need, "the next Sami," on Days. Ken Corday said that Will will be the "Next Sami" and that Theresa will be the "Next Sami." I'd rather they just be their own characters. I understand he meant the Sami archetype, but there was a lot of work put into making Sami who she is. You can't just decide someone else will be the "next Sami" without first putting in the appropriate storytelling. That's what hurt Will, in my opinion. Instead of developing him naturally based on what we've seen on screen, the show just randomly decided to make him the next Sami without any of the foundational work that made Sami. Love Sami or hate her, we can at least explain or even understand a lot of her actions because of Alan, Carrie, Marlena, Roman and John, her eating disorder, the Alan trial, etc. She didn't just become "Sami," but that was her natural progression.

My second unpopular opinion is that while Sami became the "face" of Days, much like her mother before her, I think Sami's popularity was detrimental to the characters of Will, E.J. and Lucas. I say this because all three characters, imo, became extensions of Sami instead of being developed naturally. For me, this is why Lucas doesn't seem to get much screen time, why almost all E.J.'s storylines centered around Sami and why Will was killed off after Sami's departure. The show focused so much on who they were in Sami's life that it forgot to inform the audience as to who these men were individually.

• Love 12

My odd unpopular opinion is that I'm sadder about Grace Brady's death than Will's death. Even though Grace was a baby, I actually liked her and her potential for storylines a lot more than Will. I loved that Gabi named Ari after Grace, and I hope Grace is mentioned when Chad discovers he is the father of Abby's baby.

I've always been indifferent to Will, at best, or flat out hating his character - I hated Chandler's Will and felt that Guy's Will just had no direction. I don't think the show will be hurt at all by Will's death because I don't feel the show did a good job of making Will his own character as opposed to being an extension of Sami.

Which brings me to my next unpopular opinions. One, I don't need, "the next Sami," on Days. Ken Corday said that Will will be the "Next Sami" and that Theresa will be the "Next Sami." I'd rather they just be their own characters. I understand he meant the Sami archetype, but there was a lot of work put into making Sami who she is. You can't just decide someone else will be the "next Sami" without first putting in the appropriate storytelling. That's what hurt Will, in my opinion. Instead of developing him naturally based on what we've seen on screen, the show just randomly decided to make him the next Sami without any of the foundational work that made Sami. Love Sami or hate her, we can at least explain or even understand a lot of her actions because of Alan, Carrie, Marlena, Roman and John, her eating disorder, the Alan trial, etc. She didn't just become "Sami," but that was her natural progression.

My second unpopular opinion is that while Sami became the "face" of Days, much like her mother before her, I think Sami's popularity was detrimental to the characters of Will, E.J. and Lucas. I say this because all three characters, imo, became extensions of Sami instead of being developed naturally. For me, this is why Lucas doesn't seem to get much screen time, why almost all E.J.'s storylines centered around Sami and why Will was killed off after Sami's departure. The show focused so much on who they were in Sami's life that it forgot to inform the audience as to who these men were individually.

I loved Will, but I agree with your post...Well said....I also think that is why alot of the legacy children are not developed well..I like Shawn-Douglas, but at times he seemed like an extension of Bo...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

My UO is that I haven't missed Sami AT ALL. I'm not impressed with her return, can't wait until she leaves and she can stay gone! The more I read about her return the more annoyed I get. Grieve and go please!

Couldn't have said it better myself!! The sooner she go and find EJ, the better!!!

• Love 2

I don't mind Sami's return because I know it's just temporary. Pre- EJ, I loved Sami. I just didn't buy the transition from perennial runner up teen/20-something Sami to three men vying for her attention, and AS's acting weaknesses became really apparent in those stories. I did like her in mom-mode, and there's little chance of squeezing in an episodes-dominating romance for her while she's in town, so I guess that's why I'm tolerating her so far. Depending on what happens in Chad's hospital room, that is. 

I'm trying to remember a time when a character went *up* so much in my estimation after a recast. I had absolutely no use for original Chad, but this Chad has become one of my favorite characters. So, seriously, Sami...put the pillow down.

• Love 1
I'm trying to remember a time when a character went *up* so much in my estimation after a recast. I had absolutely no use for original Chad, but this Chad has become one of my favorite characters.
While I love Casey Deidrick I did not like his portrayal of Chad. AT ALL. He was a California surfer dude not a Dimera. 
Billy Flynn is killing this role (in a good way). He's sultry and smooth and adult.
  • Love 8

Seeing Freddie Smith back on screen this week reminded me of how bizarre it was that he won the Emmy. Did people vote for him as a farewell present? Because that's the only explanation that I can find for his win. Not saying that he's a bad actor, because he's not, but nor is he outstanding. How does a passable performance merit an award? I know the Younger Actor category suffers a lack of candidates but when superb young actors like Casey Moss are not even nominated, I guess there was no one else to hand the prize to.

• Love 2

Seeing Freddie Smith back on screen this week reminded me of how bizarre it was that he won the Emmy. Did people vote for him as a farewell present? Because that's the only explanation that I can find for his win. Not saying that he's a bad actor, because he's not, but nor is he outstanding. How does a passable performance merit an award? 

I co-sign this. I don't think his performances are that good.

Yesterday is an exception in that it was good (not great).

Am I reading this correctly, you guys are actually bashing Freddie Smith on here....I am truly shock..I have never heard anybody bash him..Chandler, Guy and even Sean have gotten criticized, but never Freddie...

I'm not "bashing" him. He's a decent actor. I just don't think he is super talented..especially compared to the other noms from last year. I saw his reel and it's wasn't as good IMO as the others'. 

• Love 1

I was not criticizing you, I was just amazed by your remarks because Freddie Smith is a sacred cow around here...I think the kid from General Hospital should  have won the Emmy and not Freddie...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

I was not criticizing you, I was just amazed by your remarks because Freddie Smith is a sacred cow around here...I think the kid from General Hospital should  have won the Emmy and not Freddie...

You mean Bryan Craig/Morgan Corinthos? Yeah, he's really grown since he first came to Port Charles. I like him He stands a chance this year, too b/c of storylines and the fact that Chad Duel (MMM and mega talented) is in the supporting category now. 

[Don't get me started on my "Michael Corinthos Quartermain is the straight version of Will Horton" thoughts]

I wonder if Freddie can submit these Will death scenes in supporting now (he's not 25 under) b/c of him not being a regular when it's airing. Or will he have to submit the earlier stuff from when he was a regular. Don't know the rules.

That's TJ? I haven't really seen his work but cool. I agree it's General Mobster now and I hate Sonny and Carly (not the actors). 

Topic...uh, I don't see Christopher Sean's "it." Nor do I see Paul's "it." I mean Horita sex was hot but as a character and an actor? Not seeing it.

• Love 3

Paul is beautiful to look at and I will always despise him for getting in the way of Wilson. Will was sacrificed so that Paul would be a better option for Sonny. Now he is dead. They did the same thing with Jack in favor of Daniel....Jack is also dead..There is a pattern on this show....

• Love 1

I don't mind Rafe nor Dena's writing propping him up. It's nice not seeing him be an idiot.

*goes into hiding*

I agree. She's made him wiser, smarter, more clued in. He's easier on the eyes than Chad who's on screen equally as much. I don't mind him. If only Dena would fine tune most of the rest of the cast. 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 2

I don't mind Rafe suddenly being useful to the show after seemingly years of standing on the sidelines doing nothing, but I deeply resent him suddenly being in the middle of four storylines - the murders, his father returning, falling for Hope, being connected to Eve - and getting large amounts of screen time when so many other fan favorite characters are making brief returns or having interesting material written for them for the first time in a long time.

He doesn't need to be everywhere all of a sudden.

I agree though that Sonny isn't as compelling as I seemingly convinced myself he was. I guess as one of the few good guys on the show I was rooting for him, but Freddie keeps turning in these really weird performances where he gives goo goo eyes to Paul and doesn't seem to get really angry or really sad. He's very sedate isn't he? This week's crying aside, that is. I guess he just isn't as raw as AS.

I'm loving her now more than ever and hoping she doesn't leave even though I know she will. Her work this week has been some of her best. The EJ stuff is stupid but I understand they have to try and wrap up what they previously left dangling. I'm just hoping Sami learns the truth about Clyde's involvement and eventually comes back around to the fact that EJ was scum.

• Love 4

I don't mind Rafe suddenly being useful to the show after seemingly years of standing on the sidelines doing nothing, but I deeply resent him suddenly being in the middle of four storylines - the murders, his father returning, falling for Hope, being connected to Eve - and getting large amounts of screen time when so many other fan favorite characters are making brief returns or having interesting material written for them for the first time in a long time.

He doesn't need to be everywhere all of a sudden.

I agree though that Sonny isn't as compelling as I seemingly convinced myself he was. I guess as one of the few good guys on the show I was rooting for him, but Freddie keeps turning in these really weird performances where he gives goo goo eyes to Paul and doesn't seem to get really angry or really sad. He's very sedate isn't he? This week's crying aside, that is. I guess he just isn't as raw as AS.

I'm loving her now more than ever and hoping she doesn't leave even though I know she will. Her work this week has been some of her best. The EJ stuff is stupid but I understand they have to try and wrap up what they previously left dangling. I'm just hoping Sami learns the truth about Clyde's involvement and eventually comes back around to the fact that EJ was scum

Yes EJ is just that but so is Sami.  Sami has commited almost all of the criminal acts that EJ has.  The reason I think they are the perfect pair.

Imo lucas and rafe are too goody two shoes for her.

Edited by bobcat1946

Lucas was never a goody two shoes..I think Lucas got tired of Sami not growing up and maturing.He wanted her to grow up and brought out the best in her..EJ brought out her worst traits...I liked EJamie at first, but I liked EJ as a Wells over a Dimera..

• Love 3

I didn't miss that we didn't see Roman's reaction to Kill Will.  Although he can sympathize with Sami with the best of them, I expected he'd be mush mouthed and useless.  But it was worse.  I rewound a few times to make sure Roman really said he's in a better place now.  How effing insulting.  I get it they're all supposed to be Religous but it wasn't like Will was ill and suffering.  So he's in a better place not being with Sami and Sonny and his daughter?  Then I had to laugh when she turned away from him and fell into Kate's arms with genuine expressions on their faces.  Meanwhile RoboMar looked clinically on.  Sure, her scenes are great when she's shrinking someone because she only gasps emotively for Jawn. 

I'm sooooo happy to see Creepy go.  Unfortunately we don't get to see his punishment.  I expect it had to do with (yet another) shift in writing.  But lately when I feel we are missing some important scenes I think back on the weeks of Moaning Eve we had to endure.  An entire episode should have been given to Will's funeral instead.

My understanding of how the show is taped is that they schedule certain actors to come in on certain days so it's not like the entire cast is there.  Then they record many many scenes.  I think that's why people aren't seen changing clothes for days like they used to.  And sometimes I catch hair being longer or someone looking very different as if they had a few weeks off between tapings. 

I've said before I've spent more time at St Luke's than I've ever spent in a real church since I grew up.  He should have had a huge funeral and they eulogies were mostly bad propping but I don't think that opinion is unpopular here. Also, Sonny sitting second row and wondering if he should talk.  Um, is show not taking their marriage seriously?

While I was very glad to see Joe there, did Jenn really have to sit between him and JJ?  That's weird although they seem to have placed her so she'd show up in shots between the front row.  Why.

Also, I've always liked Gabi.  But I wonder how Rafe can keep affording her wardrobe.  And I want Trollop to miscarry.  At the same time I think she's only conveniently ill.  She should be past the fainting and morning sickness by now, and toxemia normally shows up at the end. 

• Love 4

This is a very UO

Think I would like Teresa and Abigail as friends.

Watching Hope and Kayla interact has been so refreshing. I'd love to see more female friendships on the show. The majority of the men (at least those not named Dimera) get along well, it would be nice if the women were allowed to do so.

• Love 3

My unpopular opinion is that I always hated EJ (& am not sad that he's gone) & especially hated EJ & Sami together (still hate they ruined Lucas & Sami to stick her with EJ) - the only time I actually liked him was when he was with Taylor (Natalia's version) - which is odd since I always hated Natalia on GH.

• Love 6

My unpopular opinion is that I always hated EJ (& am not sad that he's gone) & especially hated EJ & Sami together (still hate they ruined Lucas & Sami to stick her with EJ) - the only time I actually liked him was when he was with Taylor (Natalia's version) - which is odd since I always hated Natalia on GH.

The only time I ever liked EJ was when he had scenes with Lexie.

• Love 3

My unpopular opinion is that Chad should have been the bad guy since he is a dimera and Ben should have been the good guy.

I think the show depends too much already on defining characters, when it bothers to do so at all, by their families' histories. "Evil because Dimera" doesn't seem any less out of the blue for Chad than it does for Battery-Operated BOllie to become a a homicidally jealous maniac.

• Love 3

My unpopulst opinion is I liked Chad until he became abigail's lapdog like he is now.

I don't him see him being her lapdog. Just because she chose to be with someone else doesn't mean he stopped caring about her. He was trying to move on until this SK stuff happen. Circumstances just brought them back into each others orbits.

The only time EJ was useful to me was when he committed crimes on behalf of Sami. 

• Love 3

I don't him see him being her lapdog. Just because she chose to be with someone else doesn't mean he stopped caring about her. He was trying to move on until this SK stuff happen. Circumstances just brought them back into each others orbits.

Just me he did not appear to be moving on  when he humped her all night and that was before the killing started.  In fact her cheating started the killing.  JMo.

/

• Love 1

My unpopular opinion is that I actually liked the Chad who was around when Kristin first returned. The one who worked at the coffee shop and refused to become entangled in Stefano's bizarro family dynamics. I like the Chad we currently have, but that guy seemed to have a certain integrity to him. I guess I'm tired of everybody discovering they are related to Stefano and immediately getting wrapped up in his games and being labeled as a villain.

• Love 5

This is a very UO

Think I would like Teresa and Abigail as friends.

Theresa would call her out on her shit, make fun of her gaping mouth, and Trollop would learn she's not nearly as cool as she thinks. Sounds like fun.

I think an Abby/Theresa friendship would be kind of awesome and add in Gabi and we'd have some genuinely interesting scenes.  The show needs these young women interacting and supporting each other instead of being bitchy to each other over men.  I think Theresa's designing Abby's wedding dress is a step in the right direction.

• Love 2

The only time EJ was useful to me was when he committed crimes on behalf of Sami. 

I also super liked his blackmail plot with Will (and vice versa). Their relationship with the internship started out badly but in the end EJ was there for Will (and vice versa). I liked the relationship they developed.

• Love 7
Sami has commited almost all of the criminal acts that EJ has.  The reason I think they are the perfect pair.

See, I agree with that, I agree they're well-suited to each other...but that's a tragedy, not a happy story. Why does the show prop them up like some great love affair instead of the really unhealthy warped thing their relationship actually was?

I think it's SAD that Sami can't seem to be with someone who would be decent with her, like Lucas...or whoever else she's been with who has been normal by Salem standards (lost track). We shouldn't be celebrating her passionate devotion to this guy who clearly dragged her down to a dark place. I'm amazed Marlena has been so lax in getting Sami actual therapy over the years, given everything that's happened.

Thaao Penghlis is a big bore; I've never liked him. It was a stupid idea to bring André back as Back-Up Stefano.

...yup. I hate to say it because I've got nothing against the guy at all...but an accent does not an interesting character make. They literally broke Andre's character history to force him back into the show, and I think they could have brought back any number of vets to be the new Big Bad who had less complicated history and more story potential.

Heck, I HATE Clyde, but the actor was doing great work and there was still a lot of story there to play out and wrap up. I would rather see them write interesting new villains and bring them into the fold that keep going to that (dry) DiMerra well. It's just silly now.

• Love 3

It is question for the ages.  Why is it that Nicole and Chloe did not want to be with a nice guy like Lucas too.  Would have mentioned Carrie too but she already was with a nice guy, Austin who she cheated on.  In the long run too Adrienne would rather be with a psycho Justin than nice guy Lucas.

Edited by bobcat1946
  • Love 3

Ken Corday and the writers are sexist, misogynistic, idiots who only see women as spineless backstabbers who will fight with each other all day long, but will let worthless jerks walk all over them while they ignore good guys who really love them.  They also completely ignore character history.  I've said it before, and I will say it again, Sami NEVER would have cheated on or risked losing Rafe or Lucas because of EJ.  Since Ken Corday hated Ejami so much, he should have let Sami be happy, but a little bit crazy with Rafe or Lucas, and let EJ and Nicole be bad together.  Instead Sami and Nicole went from being the bad girls of Salem to Dimera doormats.  Even Kate got somewhat defanged by Stefano.  That was so wrong.

Speaking of so wrong, Sami to EJ about Nick, Gabi, and the river toss, "Nick was trying to rape Gabi, and I know how that feels."  Crickets chirp, and there is no acknowledgement that Sami was raped by Alan, EJ, and EJ had Fake Rafe rape Sami.  Epic failure on the writers part especially when EJ gets to remind Sami that she drugged and raped Austin, and EJ gets to laugh about Kristen drugging and raping Eric.

• Love 9