Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

My unpopular opinion is that I always thought that DH should have remained Roman. Even though WN is the better actor, DH had the better family dynamic with the Brady siblings, and as the spilt of Roman and Marlena when WN was playing him proved, the DHers had the better chemistry. When WN returned, he could have been revealed to be a brainwashed pawn, just as DH's Roman was when he first came on canvass. WN true identity could have ushered in some non-blood relation characters and he could still be on canvass. Think of the horrors we could have been spared:

1) Sami's illogical hatred of John, who literally raised her her entire life prior to the reveal. Hell, Marlena wasn't even in the picture for most of her childhood. Sami and Eric were toddlers were WN's Roman "died" so she had no memories of him. That storyline never made sense and really had me questioning Sammi's sanity and basic sense.

2) We could have been spared all those awful "Whose John This Month" story lines we were subjected to. We certainly would never have had that horrible, John is a Dimera storyline that threw off everything that we knew to be true only to yield no results.

3) Josh Tayler and his plastic, tan, Chris Kosichek face would not be Roman, thereby ruining every Roman family dynamic, every scene with JT and MBE still gives me a case of the icks. If Corday wanted his buddy back on the show, he could have come back as Chris, bringing non-related to everyone kids with him, or JT play another non-Horton/Brady/Dimera/Kiriakis character. JT could have even been involved with Kate and not have had their relationship impacted by the Sammi/Lucas, Bo/Billie merry-go-round.

4) We would not have the inane and boring Brady and Theresa relationship as they would be cousins. Hell they are practically cousins now what with Shawn, Caroline, Kimberly and Kayla still considering John family.

5) We may never have been subjected to the creation of Paul, cause I just can't with him.

6) We wouldn't have had that bizarre storyline where WN came back as Marelena's previously unknown and abusive husband who for some reason looked like original recipe Roman.

And these are just the things we could have avoided off the top of my head. If the show had to deRomafy John, I thought the identity they were toying with at one point where it appeared that Shawn Brady and Daphne Dimera would be revealed to be the parents, thus explaining Stefano's hatred for the Brady's in a much better way should have been played out.

I also thought they should have made Roman's nemesis Orpheus Strfano's nephew since they make Stefano responsible for damn near everything that happens to the Brady Family. After all, Stefano is the seventh son of a seventh son, yet it appears from the show's decision to keep giving Stefano never before mentioned biological and adopted children, that non of his six older brothers reproduced.

• Love 5

Brava Happytobehere..I love your ideas..I heard that Wayne was brought back to the show at the request of Deidre..That was her request for coming back to the show...I loved original recipe Roman and Marlena..There was something so beautiful  about that couple....I never really understood Sami's irrational hatred of John..I have always theorized that she loved John and was acting out because she felt abandoned by him, the only real parent that she ever knew; when he left her and Eric to go be with Isabella and had Brady..I remember John as Roman was a great dad to Eric, Sami and Carrie...I remembered that sweet scene where John had the twins meet Marlena after she came back from the dead....It was so touching...

• Love 1

I realize Drake Hogestyn's "acting" is pretty sad now, but I agree he really brought the charisma as Roman Brady and did have a great rapport with the rest of the actors playing members of the Brady family.

And I think it is kind of icky that Brady and Theresa are involved since, as was said, John is still considered family to Kim, Kayla, Bo, etc. (After all, he even gave Shawn and Caroline their pub!)

But my UO, to be on topic? I cannot stand Marlena. I never saw her in her heyday in the '70s/early '80s but didn't understand the hype upon her '91 return. So I was ecstatic that John decided to stay with Isabella (even if their ending broke my RoJohn/Izzy B. loving heart). And a UO within a UO: I think Drake Hogestyn held his own in the storyline of Isabella's cancer and death. What happened to him, I don't know, unless he just got bored. Not an excuse, I know, but I can also understand it, too.

• Love 3

I just have say that this rabid/intense hate for Daniel is quite extreme. I understand why some of you dislike the character, but it's not the actor's fault. He's doing the best he can with what the writers give him. (Yes, I like Dan, which is my unpopular opinion) For example, I can't stand Guy's portrayal of Will, but I'm not wishing & hoping everyday that his character should be murdered or maimed within an inch of his life. I wouldn't mind if Guy left Days and/or they brought in another actor, but to wish a character (who IMO is rather harmless) dead on a daily basis seems a bit radical.

Edited by MsTree
  • Love 1

1) Sami's illogical hatred of John, who literally raised her her entire life prior to the reveal. Hell, Marlena wasn't even in the picture for most of her childhood. Sami and Eric were toddlers were WN's Roman "died" so she had no memories of him. That storyline never made sense and really had me questioning Sammi's sanity and basic sense.

Actually, this does make sense to me. Sami and Eric were still only toddlers when Marlena and WN's Roman returned. It's easy to blur things together because a little less than two years later, Sami was SORAS'd into a teenager, but that's how it was. I clearly remember the scene where Marlena, Roman and John explained to the twins, and the twins were still so small that when John asked to take them up to bed, he was able to pick them up one in each arm. And the dialogue the adults used was age-appropriate for very young children. Given their ages, Sami and Eric would not have many memories of the time when John raised them. I always thought that was one thing the show got right, Carrie's and Sami's differing attitudes about which of the men were their "true" fathers. For Carrie, who was in her very late teens when WN's Roman returned, it was John; for Sami, it was Roman.

• Love 2
Actually, this does make sense to me. Sami and Eric were still only toddlers when Marlena and WN's Roman returned.

They were still kids but they were older than toddlers. If I recall, the twins were initially aging "normally". They were born in 1984, which means they were approximately 7 when WN's Roman and Marlena came back. Young enough to be hella confused about the Roman/John issue, but old enough to remember John in their lives. So, to me, Sami hating John also made no sense (even taking the SORAS into account).

Actually, I think - as hard as it would have been - the whole Roman/John issue could have been great had the more emotional beats been played. In real life, it likely would never occur, but I would have been interested had John fought to retain custody of the twins. Carrie could have been torn as could the Bradys, etc.

I know Real Roman didn't deserve what happened nor did Marlena, I guess, but neither did John, who just seemed to be expected to step aside. (At least he had Isabella.)

My UO is I do think John, for all of his many issues now, was the better parent to those kids, even after Roman and Marlena returned. (And I know it was due to the SORAS, but M/R come back after YEARS AWAY from their kids and...ship 'em to Grandma in Colorado?)

But I think that would have been more emotionally compelling instead of "fake" Stefano in Mexico, etc., even if the Mexico remote was gorgeous.

• Love 2

I have to do a couple of backflips to get my fanwank of why Sami hates John to work.  It goes something like this.  John/Roman was the only parent Sami and Eric had for years.  They liked Isabella, and were happy John/Roman was with her.  Marlena and Roman return from the dead, and Sami's world is turned up side down.  John leaves to go be with Isabella and Brady.  Roman and Marlena send Sami and Eric to Colorado.  Sami returns to Salem, and the happy family she thought she was going to have with Roman, Marlena, and Carrie is ruined when Sami sees Marlena cheating on Roman with John.  Where I think the writers went completely wrong was after having Sami resolve things with Marlena and John in 2007, and making peace with Carrie in 2010, they hit the reset button in 2011, and it all started again.  Dumb idea.

• Love 5

I could be wrong Tigerlynx, I think Isabella came into John's life after the real Roman had come back along with Marlena..John/Roman had a long relationship with Diana Colville..I remember a funny scene where Sami recounted the different women that she remembered that John had been with while he was raising her.So she had good memories of John.The twins were always pro Roman, whereas Carrie always had a strong bond with John, it never diminished the love that she had for Roman...After the initial shock of John and Marlena's affair, Carrie came around to accepting John and rooted for John and Marlena to be together...I don't really remember Eric being anti-John, but he was very pro-Roman like Sami..A few weeks ago, John visited Eric after almost dying with Nicole, and he referenced their past as Father/son...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

John/Roman and Isabella were dating when Marlena returned from the dead.  Then the real Roman returned from the dead.  It was actually a great SL.  Sami was also very close to John until she saw Marlena cheating on Roman with John.  Unfortunately, the writers didn't know when enough was enough, and they just had to try and dredge everything up all over again in 2011.

• Love 1

I thought it was very sweet that Sami named her second son John Roman, after her two dads, to me it was a start of maturity for Sami..No, they just had to make her hate John and Carrie again...Breaking up Lumi was the worst thing for Sami and Lucas..From what I hear the plan for was Lumi to be together while EJ was a thorn on the side...I will never understand the mind of Ken Corday..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3

Since Ken Corday hated Ejami, and had no intention of ever putting them together, I don't understand why Lumi was trashed after everything they had been through.  The only reason Sami/EJ became a couple was because the network demanded it.  After it was all over did anyone get what they wanted out of the SLs for Lucas, Sami, EJ, Rafe, Brady, Nicole?  There were some good moments in the SLs, but they were almost always ruined by what the writers did next.

• Love 4

I remember when WN came back well, because I hated the way it was handled.  Marlena came back while Roman was very serious with Isabella.  Marlena moved into their then house, but slept in a different room from "Roman".  There was no romance between them.  Then the three of them went to Mexico (I think Bo and Carly went too) and found WN Roman.  Without much conflict at all, things were resolved.  Marlena and Roman moved back into their house, John moved in with Isabella and she found out she was carrying Brady.  Carrie was the only child I remember having trouble with it - she was a teen and went to John as her dad and was shocked to find out he was having a baby with Isabella.  Then they retconned it as Marlena and John had unresolved feelings - but they never showed me that.

• Love 1

The biggest retconn, which served to justify Sammi's hatred was her seeing John and Marlena together being what started her on the path of evil. However, what really started the wicked era of Samantha Gene was when Lucas told her Austin would never choose her over over Carrie because she was too fat. Seeing John and Marlena served as the thing that Sammi used to absolve her of any culpability .

I also agree with TigerLynx, John was the only one of the J/M/R trio who was a parent in the sense of actually raising the kids was John, or as I like to call him, RomaJohn. I like that Eric could connect with his bio dad while still caring for the father who helped raise him. I also really like his closeness to Brady, as that rings true. They shared parents and they share a sister (Belle) and they treat each other as such.

Speaking of Brady: Equally puzzling in the I hate my surrogate parent for no good reason sweepstakes was Brady. The show never even bothered to try to give the viewers a truly understandable or compelling reason for him to hate Marlena, other than she wasn't his birth mother. However, Isabella died when Brady was basically a baby, and there was no back from the dead, your not my real mommy issue going on. John and Marlena reunited when he was relatively young and she was his only mother, she was good to whim, even during the period of hate. It was like the show wanted to create the drama, but they couldn't even find a reason that made sense other than Brady was a teenager.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 2

I hated that storyline with Brady and Marlena...Marlena is his only mother period..He was an infant when his mother Isabella died...Sami whining incessantly about John got old pretty fast.Carrie should have had a harder time adjusting. I remember one scene where Marlena told her that Eric and Carrie had the same childhood as her and did not have such a hard time...Eric always seemed so level headed..I always thought it was a mistake to not bring in Eric into town when Sami came back as a teen..I would have liked to have seen his reaction to the Roman/Marlena/John affair..I have to see that the original Eric looked so much like Diedre...The casting of the show is so good at casting actors as relatives..For example: Marlena's descendants look alike, at  the Wilson wedding, Sami, Marlena, Will and even baby Ari looked like family...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1
Speaking of Brady: Equally puzzling in the I hate my surrogate parent for no good reason sweepstakes was Brady. The show never even bothered to try to give the viewers a truly understandable or compelling reason for him to hate Marlena, other than she wasn't his birth mother. However, Isabella died when Brady was basically a baby

In theory, I do agree, even with my dislike for Marlena aside. But, as was pointed out somewhere, if SORAS changed Sami's history with John, wouldn't the same hold true for Brady? If he was SORASed, perhaps the false notion that he had time with and remembered his own mother would apply.

Just a theory, right or wrong.

In theory, I do agree, even with my dislike for Marlena aside. But, as was pointed out somewhere, if SORAS changed Sami's history with John, wouldn't the same hold true for Brady? If he was SORASed, perhaps the false notion that he had time with and remembered his own mother would apply.

Just a theory, right or wrong.

This could work but I remember the numerous conversations about Brady having no real memories of Isabella. When her ghost came to him, Brady recognized her from pictures, not memories of her, so unless they retconned it along the way, they kept Isabella's death the same despite the aging.

This is how SOARASing messes things up. We see it all the time. I was just watching some Steve returns in preparation for Friday, and Stephanie either should have been no more than 17, or she should have memories of her father who's death they kept in 1990. Just like Joey being a teen would mean that Stephanie would have to be at least 40, but I'm sure if we see her again, that won't be the case. This will naturally further mess up the Steve came back from the dead timeline.

Steve will be back to tomorrow for his sweetness

If I have to hear him call her that, I'm going to projectile vomit all over my living room.

The only time I've ever liked SN was when Patch came back with amnesia a few years back, and he and Jack were bonding over having come back from the dead.

• Love 2

If I have to hear him call her that, I'm going to projectile vomit all over my living room.

The only time I've ever liked SN was when Patch came back with amnesia a few years back, and he and Jack were bonding over having come back from the dead.

I'm not the only one!  It's not the character I dislike, it really is the actor.  I didn't like him on GH and he was painful to watch on Y&R.

I'm happy for everyone who is happy, but I'll save mine for Bo.  And here it's the opposite.  Bo annoys the hell outta me, and I really wish Hope was getting to keep Aiden.  But PR I find charming.  

• Love 2

Be warned that the preview for this week has him saying it.

• Love 2

I'm SO glad someone else doesn't like him!!! 

• Love 3
I'm not the only one!  It's not the character I dislike, it really is the actor.  I didn't like him on GH and he was painful to watch on Y&R.

I'm happy for everyone who is happy, but I'll save mine for Bo.  And here it's the opposite.  Bo annoys the hell outta me, and I really wish Hope was getting to keep Aiden.  But PR I find charming.

Didn't see SN on Y&R, but I found him excruciating on GH.  (I did find him amusing when Patch came back with amnesia, because he was sarcastic and disbelieving of all the weird soap opera stuff in everyone's lives.)

I really don't know how I feel about Bo, but I'm with you on liking PR.  I do wish Hope was getting to keep Aiden, if only to keep her away from Rafe the Giant Muppet Man.

Be warned that the preview for this week has him saying it.

I love you for warning me.  Thank you. 

• Love 2

I'm feeling really bad about paige. I would love for her to stay alive ya know and be with jj. I do like them, I've noticed not many people do but with the characters we have now I don't have many to choose from. And I really really want Brady to hate Theresa forever!

• Love 1

I like Paige too.  And despite everything that's happened, yesterday's kiss showed she still has feeling for JJ.  Wish the writers had taken Eve's hatrid for Jennifer a different way and let the Paige and JJ be a sweet young couple for a while.

• Love 2

As a HUGE #WilSon fan, it pains me to say it... I've never thought Freddie Smith was attractive ... on the show.

Ever.

Now...I've seen him all facial hair and scruffy in real life and thought, "damn, man. Wish DooL would let you look like that on screen."

• Love 2

Here's one:  I hate the new writers.  I'm so bored. I just can't with days and days of Marlena and Jawn whining about their past and slobbering on each other.  The whole show seems like a hideously written romance novel to me.  Blech.

• Love 2

I agree I don't have to see every couple having pillow talk every day.  I hope we're done with the Jarlena romance for a while now that they're Provisionally Married.  I really hoped Jawn was leaving and that's why we had to sit through all that.  It's all good, but enough. I am happy to see more smiling.

There are new stories now that I find interesting.  Did you like the old writers better? 

• Love 2

Hope should be a more important character on the show.  She should interact with more people in Salem.

Paige should just have gone to Stanford instead of ..........

Kayla is so pretty & smart.  Don't understand why she could not get a date.

Rafe reminds me an ex-boyfriend from high school so I might have a soft spot for him

Jennifer is an important character and seems like she is being groomed to be the next Alice (JMHO).  It makes sense to me that writers are trying to make Abigail the star of the show in a way.  I think I could root for her character it's just sometimes I don't like the way she looks down on some people.  I especially didn't like they way she talked to Ben about his job.

I miss Jordan and wish she was the one to take down Clyde.  It was so upsetting seeing how alone she was.

Chad makes everyone he works with better .

This all of course are JMHO.  Not sure they are unpopular just don't know where else to post them since they are not about current plot.

• Love 1

Rafe reminds me an ex-boyfriend from high school so I might have a soft spot for him.

I have really been enjoying Rafe lately, he seems to have a purpose now.

Chad makes everyone he works with better .

BF is a great find. I didn't care for the other version of Chad, but Billy has made the role his own. I really love his chemistry with KM.

Edited by Sidney

Kayla is so pretty & smart. Don't understand why she could not get a date.

I have always been bothered by the fact that Kayla, played by the beautiful MBE, is smart, capable, devoted and kind, and yes, extremely easy on the eyes, yet in thirtyish years of being off and on the show, the only men who seem to have been drawn to her were the Johnson Brothers. Even if the show wanted to go for Kayla only being drawn to Steve, we still should have seen men flirting with and asking Kayla out, and her rejecting their overtures. Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 4

BF is a great find. I didn't care for the other version of Chad, but Billy has made the role his own. I really love his chemistry with KM.

While Casey Deidrick is hot, I was never a fan of his version of Chad. It was like a surfer frat party up in the Dimera Mansion. No. Not sure how popular/unpopular that opinion is.

Billy Flynn is awesome as Chad. 

• Love 3

I only know the current version of Chad, and until these recent scenes with his missing memory from the night of Serena's murder, I wasn't that impressed with him.  But he's been doing a great job lately in both his solo scenes, as well as the ones with Stefano. 

This is probably a UO, but I liked Jordan, and liked her with Chad, and liked her more than Abigail. 

Since we're obviously stuck with Abilgail, I'm hoping the writers and actress can do something to make the character more likeable. She is, afterall, Jennifer's daughter and a Horton.  Aren't we, therefore, supposed to like her.

• Love 4

Since we're obviously stuck with Abilgail, I'm hoping the writers and actress can do something to make the character more likeable. She is, afterall, Jennifer's daughter and a Horton.  Aren't we, therefore, supposed to like her.

No. I love Kim/Shane and Marlena, but I could care less about  Sami and Theresa.

I have always been bothered by the fact that Kayla, played by the beautiful MBE, is smart, capable, devoted and kind, and yes, extremely easy on the eyes, yet in thirtyish years of being off and on the show, the only men who seem to have been drawn to her were the Johnson Brothers. Even if the show wanted to go for Kayla only being drawn to Steve, we still should have seen men flirting with and asking Kayla out, and her rejecting their overtures.

Seriously, seriously.   It would make so much more sense if we learned that she'd been sabotaging her dating experiences because she didn't want to settle for somebody other than Steve, rather than men just weren't that into her.  She's a catch!

Steve's friend Marcus had a pretty big crush on her even before Steve died.   

• Love 2

Teresa has really done some crappy things especially to Brady and his family.   The actor who plays Teresa is good at making her look very vulnerable.  It's understandable why she is alone.  I think I like the actress more than they character.  Sometimes I feel badly for her when Brady is yelling at her.   Then I wonder if it's their sizes.  Teresa looks so tiny next to him.

• Love 3

Replying about something discussed in other thread.  I totally don't like Clyde.  think they way he treated Jordan was disgusting.  I liked Jordan but even if I didn't I still would find Clyde's actions awful.  He is so creepy.  I hope little JJ takes him down.

• Love 3

I must have a lot of UO *g

Will and Sonny

I did not see there love story.  When I started watching the show they seemed like roommates.  Sometimes Sonny seemed like Will's parent.  

Will was totally wrong for cheating.  Sonny was not a perfect husband as the show seems to want us to think.   Sonny put down Will's work, emptied their bank account & never IMHO treated Will like an equal.

• Love 1