Type keyword(s) to search

Former Hosts: PERSONAL Life After The View

• Start Topic

Except putting it out there is the way she found Chelsea.  I didn't read any of the tabs or the hate but I know that RO got a lot of love and support on her own site from people who want her to know how much joy and inspiration she has brought to their lives.  Sometimes it's not enough to shake your head at the hate; sometimes you need to actually counter it.  Yes, "shining beacon of light and goodness" is extreme but so is the hateful stuff. 

I'm referring to the info about the man that Chelsea found on Tinder.  I think she did the right thing going public to find Chelsea.

• Love 2

I think she did the right thing going public that Chelsea was missing, but tweeting details of the man's private life, drug addictions, and criminal past was going way too far. She should have asked for privacy after Chelsea was found and kept things offline. Generally I'm a Rosie apologist, I like her a lot, but that immediately was weird to me and inappropriate.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 1

I'm referring to the info about the man that Chelsea found on Tinder.  I think she did the right thing going public to find Chelsea.

I think she did the right thing going public that Chelsea was missing, but tweeting details of the man's private life, drug addictions, and criminal past was going way too far. She should have asked for privacy after Chelsea was found and kept things offline. Generally I'm a Rosie apologist, I like her a lot, but that immediately was weird to me and inappropriate.

Why should he get any privacy?   I would do the same exact thing if I knew of someone that was dangerous to kids and this guy fits that description!  Actually I think he sounds dangerous to anyone but especially to vulnerable teenage girls who think they are all grown up.   In fact I can't even imagine what I would do to that guy if it was my daughter and I had the kind of social media reach that RO does.  He would be lucky if all I did was put his public record out there.

• Love 4

Rosie lashing out at the guy was clearly pure parental rage.  Not always the best choice, but also understandable in this case.  There may be details that are not public and it's really messing with Rosie's heart/mind.  I don't really read her social media, so not on top of what she's saying.  I'll bet there is more venting to come….

Why should he get any privacy?   I would do the same exact thing if I knew of someone that was dangerous to kids and this guy fits that description!  Actually I think he sounds dangerous to anyone but especially to vulnerable teenage girls who think they are all grown up.   In fact I can't even imagine what I would do to that guy if it was my daughter and I had the kind of social media reach that RO does.  He would be lucky if all I did was put his public record out there.

Amen.  If she was my daughter, things would go from zero to INSANE fast.

• Love 4

Sherri does have a financial responsibility to the baby and it sounds like she's meeting it so I'm not sure why Sal feels the need to keep this story in the public eye.

The gist I get from Sal's twitter is that Sherri is paying big bucks in her continued fight to be released from financial responsibility

@SalfromtheD so much for her claims of fraud.... Why pursue the appeal then?  At a cost of $70,000.  It's crazy!

Edited by springtime
  • Love 3

Sherri is what I call "the stubbornness of the stupid".

I originally used a kinder word to describe the person because I know someone like that who is a very decent human being, but god almighty, once an idea is implanted not even a bomb (much less facts) can dislodge it.

That said, I think Sherri concocts her vision of reality and will pursue it to the nth degree - because she is right.  Her memories tell her so.  If she rewrites history a bit, that's ok.

At this point, what I see is a person who completely believes whatever story she is telling the court about the surrogate decision and birth.  I think she honestly believes she was duped and has no connection to the baby because she has no genetic connection.......thus the stubbornness of the stupid.....because, seriously, no one can deny that Sherri is stupid.

• Love 10

The gist I get from Sal's twitter is that Sherri is paying big bucks in her continued fight to be released from financial responsibility

They both need to take their childish asses off Twitter with the personal shit.

• Love 8

From the article posted by CathinAZ:

[uPDATE: Steven Sheerer, who was ultimately convicted of drug offenses in connection with the 2012 arrest reported here, was found with Rosie O’Donnell’s daughter after she went missing Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2015.

So, it appears that this is a re-hash of a 3-year-old incident and arrest, and is not concurrent with Chelsea's disappearance.

• Love 1

Just for the sake of clarity, you cut out part of that Twitter thread. Sal did not tweet out the link to the People Magazine piece. Someone else tweeted It out and added his @ so that he would see it in his mentions. He responded to that person with "@SalfromtheD: Whatever is said I look to this bundle of joy and thank God he is in my life," and he included the link to the video celebrating LJ's first year.

Someone else responded to that with "so much for her claims of fraud." He responded further. As far as I can tell, he has rarely if ever initiated anything negative about Sherri on Twitter. He has, however, occasionally responded to other people tweeting to him about Sherri, as was the case here. Not sure it makes any difference in terms of context here. I just thought I'd clarify.

@Newzjunkie_: #SherriShepherd opens up about surrogate drama http://t.co/0LFdgDDD2X (via@people) @SalfromtheD

@SalfromtheD: Whatever is said I look to this bundle of joy and thank God he is in my life.

https://t.co/l1bbcObv0W https://t.co/rSTY1mjINV

@dogmom27 to @SalfromtheD: so much for her claims of fraud.

SalfromtheD to dogmom27: Why pursue the appeal then? At a cost of $70,000. It's crazy!

• Love 3

From the article posted by CathinAZ:

So, it appears that this is a re-hash of a 3-year-old incident and arrest, and is not concurrent with Chelsea's disappearance.

I don't think so although he was  previously charged with child endangerment in 2012, as well as heroin possession.  But these new charges are about Chelsea O'Donnell.  

According to this site, he was arrested Friday, August 20 night for third degree endangering the welfare of a child [Chelsea] and third degree distribution of obscenity to a minor  [Chelsea] and is currently being held in the Orange County jail on $40K bail.   

Steven Sheerer, the man found with Rosie O’Donnell’s daughter Chelsea, has been arrested for endangering the welfare of a minor.

As Gossip Cop reported, 17-year-old Chelsea was missing for more than a week when police discovered her at a New Jersey residence with Sheerer, a convicted drug offender. It wasn’t immediately known how Chelsea came to be with Sheerer, and there was no indication of foul play. But since the teen’s recovery, O’Donnell gave police permission to search the cell phone Chelsea had been using.

Cops discovered “evidence of inappropriate communications over the last several weeks between Sheerer and the minor,” leading to his arrest on Friday night for third degree endangering the welfare of a child and third degree distribution of obscenity to a minor. It’s unclear what exactly the messages contained.

Sheerer is being held in an Orange County jail on $40,000 bail, and could face up to 10 years in prison if convicted on both charges. He was previously charged with child endangerment in 2012, as well as heroin possession. O’Donnell ranted on Twitter earlier this week about Sheerer’s criminal history and alleged inappropriate behavior with Chelsea.

Source:: http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/rosie-odonnell-daughter-steven-sheerer-arrested-for-endangering-her-welfare/ar-BBlZWLQ?li=BBgzzfc

And while I can see a tabloid website getting it wrong, NBC News is reporting the same thing but better details.  In fact, it looks like the Gossip Cop article I linked is taken directly from the NBC News story, which has more details,  below.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NJ-Rosie-ODonnell-Missing-Chelsea-Daughter-Steven-Sheerer-Arrest-Endangerment-Charges--322588391.html

• Love 3

I don't think so although he was  previously charged with child endangerment in 2012, as well as heroin possession.  But these new charges are about Chelsea O'Donnell.

CosmoCrush:  To clarify, while I understand that the new charges are about Chelsea, I was responding to CathinAZ's post in which she seemed to be implying that his 2012 situation was current.  Notice she is saying:

The guy not only involved himself with Chelsea, but IS living with a woman, and her 2 lucky toddlers, in a house with heroin and other drugs. Police involvement not only got Chelsea out but got the 2 toddlers into child protection system away from their sad situation.

They are two separate incidents, three years apart.  The toddlers being removed had nothing to do with Chelsea's situation.

• Love 2

CosmoCrush:  To clarify, while I understand that the new charges are about Chelsea, I was responding to CathinAZ's post in which she seemed to be implying that his 2012 situation was current.  Notice she is saying:

They are two separate incidents, three years apart.  The toddlers being removed had nothing to do with Chelsea's situation.

Okay, thanks Tunia.  I misunderstood your original post completely and was horrified to think this guy wasn't arrested over this  so I looked it up and linked it.  

• Love 3

Tunia is right.....the date on the story link I posted is recent and I read the article quickly and thought the arrest of him and the other lady ( mom of the toddlers) was also recent. My bad. Even in rereading the article, it is confusing to me. Regardless, he does seem like a really fabulous fellow.

• Love 2

Breaks my heart, with Chelsea turning 18, Rosie has an awful mess on her hands and it may be difficult to get Chelsea to comply with the help that she needs all the while keeping her safe from outside bad influences (see: money grubbing birth mother).

• Love 1

I think the police should be handling the guy who was hiding Chelsea. It's their job to be protecting other potential victims, not Rosie's job to do it on Twitter. It's a family matter, and I think it's in Chelsea's best interest that the public knows as few details as possible. I'm sensitive to the power of social media.

• Love 3

I just have to add that having an almost 21 year old daughter that has mental health issues, I hold my breath every time I send her back across the country to her very sheltered lovely liberal arts all women's college environment.  When I first sent her off, I though it was sink or swim, either she would bloom like a beautiful rose or she would completely fall apart and I was ready for either outcome.  I've been blessed in so many ways, that she's thrived both intellectually and artistically.  I would want this for any young woman but understand that it might take a few missteps to get there.  We as mothers must never give up the fight to assist our daughters (children) to be the best that they can be.

• Love 10

I just have to add that having an almost 21 year old daughter that has mental health issues, I hold my breath every time I send her back across the country to her very sheltered lovely liberal arts all women's college environment.  When I first sent her off, I though it was sink or swim, either she would bloom like a beautiful rose or she would completely fall apart and I was ready for either outcome.  I've been blessed in so many ways, that she's thrived both intellectually and artistically.  I would want this for any young woman but understand that it might take a few missteps to get there.  We as mothers must never give up the fight to assist our daughters (children) to be the best that they can be.

That was really brave of you!!  I'll bet your throat ached every time she left for school, but good for you!!!

• Love 2

I think the police should be handling the guy who was hiding Chelsea. It's their job to be protecting other potential victims, not Rosie's job to do it on Twitter. It's a family matter, and I think it's in Chelsea's best interest that the public knows as few details as possible. I'm sensitive to the power of social media

I think Ro wanted to bring as much attention as possible to the guy Chelsea was with. It was so scary I doubt she thought she had much of a choice. Believe she is now 18, Ro won't be able to bring her back if she does something like this again and she wanted to leave no stone unturned, while she could.

Just read that Ro's dad died. She didn't have much of a relationship with him but how much more can Ro take?

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 5

I doubt the death of a parent is ever a non-event, but, if she didn't have a day-to-day relationship with her father, she may feel his loss less acutely. Or, she could have guilt for not having much of a relationship with him. Who knows? Everyone handles death differently.

• Love 6

I wish Rosie the best but there must be something weird and possibly warping when strangers call "your entire life...a shining beacon of light and goodness." Good grief, she's just a human being, and a celebrity at that; she's not working in a leper colony.

Yes to that. Even Mother Teresa had feet of clay despite her work with the dying. She accepted a million dollar gift from Charles Keating, Jr. and when it was exposed that he had cheated many, MANY people out of their life savings in the savings and loan fraud he was found guilty of and went to jail for, Mother Teresa did not return that money to the US to help any of the elderly who were facing homelessness after losing everything. Having known an elderly couple in Arizona who were victims of Keating, it always colors my thoughts when someone raves on and on about Mother Teresa. So, you're absolutely correct about lavish and unlimited praise. Rosie is human like the rest of us imperfect souls.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

She should have asked for privacy after Chelsea was found and kept things offline. Generally I'm a Rosie apologist, I like her a lot, but that immediately was weird to me and inappropriate.

I don't read Rosie's postings so I didn't know that she had gone after the guy after Chelsea was found.

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I would like to say that if everyone ever put into these sort of situations could sit down with Elizabeth Smart's parents and talk to them but more importantly LISTEN to them as to how and why they chose to handle Elizabeth's horrific ordeal, I think that it would be a really good thing to do. What their daughter went through was a gazillion times worse than what has happened with Chelsea. But boy oh boy did Elizabeth's family gather her within a very protective circle and essentially removed her from public view and scrutiny and pretty much closed down the conversation. They allowed the police and the courts to do their jobs.

And from all appearances, Elizabeth was not "duggar'd" in that she came out of it with real conviction and a clear and concise and frank voice when as an adult she has spoken about her ordeal. She has gone up against some of the restrictive and judgmental methods of teaching sexuality and how women are sometimes characterized in those lessons. There is a blowhard hardcore abstinence "motivational" speaker by the name of Stenzel who proclaims that girls who put out are like chewed up pieces of gum to be spat out. Elizabeth Smart said that during her torturous kidnapping, she often thought of that lesson she was taught in school and that she was now becoming a chewed up piece of gum. And she said NO ONE should ever say that to young people. Considering that Elizabeth lived in Utah and is a practicing Mormon, that was a very brave and truthful thing to say.

So yes, I do believe that the less that Rosie says, the better regarding her daughter. But then again, being as Irish as Rosie is, I might overstep my own boundaries if this happened to me what happened to Rosie. Getting our Irish up is a dangerous thing that can come back and bite us in the butt.

Sometimes it IS better to be quiet than to be right. Especially when it involves your child who has to live through it again through her mom's rage.

• Love 3

I doubt the death of a parent is ever a non-event, but, if she didn't have a day-to-day relationship with her father, she may feel his loss less acutely. Or, she could have guilt for not having much of a relationship with him. Who knows? Everyone handles death differently.

You are absolutely right and "non-event" was probably not the best words to describe what I was trying to say.  And, true too, guilt could play into her emotions, especially if she always hoped she would eventually have a reconciliation with her father, and it never happened.

I had a couple years of stuff happening one after the other, but not as bad as Rosie has, and certainly not events that would make the news.  But it was very hard dealing with at the time, so I have an inkling of how Rosie must be feeling, and therefore my heart goes out to her.

• Love 3

Elizabeth Smart did an interview with Katie Couric. I doubt Rosie would ever allow that to happen.

I think that Elizabeth Smart did that interview with Katie after she had reached the age of 21. I don't think she did it immediately after the ordeal. As far as Rosie allowing it, when Chelsea reaches the age of majority she will do what she wants regardless of what Rosie would or would not allow. That's why I think that backing off the twitter comments and dealing with what has happened in a private way would be much better for her daughter. That way her daughter might come out of all of this in better shape and then be able to talk openly about her journey and her experience.

• Love 1

The Elizabeth Smart interview was in 2003. According to Wikipedia, she was born in 1987. That puts her at 15-16 when she did the interview.

I only make these points because I don't think there's any "right" way to deal with this situation and what worked for the Smart family might not work for the O'Donnells. I also harbor my doubts about what really happened with the Smart family and frankly don't really like them.

• Love 1

The Elizabeth Smart interview was in 2003. According to Wikipedia, she was born in 1987. That puts her at 15-16 when she did the interview.

I only make these points because I don't think there's any "right" way to deal with this situation and what worked for the Smart family might not work for the O'Donnells. I also harbor my doubts about what really happened with the Smart family and frankly don't really like them.

Elizabeth Smart also did a live interview with Nancy Grace.  I watched it, but cannot remember how long after her return it happened.  It was so gross….Nancy Grace---in her crazy-lady slow-talk---kept trying pry details about being sexually assaulted on a daily basis and Elizabeth was just on stun and very firmly told her she was not there to discuss such things.  Totally made Nancy look inappropriate and creepy.  There's no way Rosie or Chelsea could want any more invasion of privacy about this.  And as a footnote, can't stand the Smart family either.  All hyper-religious, hyper-judmental people such as them ( or Duggers) actually make my flesh crawl.  It is never as it appears.

• Love 7

Per TMZ Rosie's daughter has left to live with her birth mother who drove from Wisconsin to NY to get her on Monday, Chelsea's 18th birthday. Rosie allegedly advised her not to go and held on to Chelsea's birth certificate and social security card, and cut her off financially.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/08/26/rosie-odonnell-daughter-chelsea-birth-mother/

I guess it is better than living with the strange guy she met online. Poor Rosie, though.  :(

edit: (the comments on TMZ are horrible, as usual)

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 1

Per TMZ Rosie's daughter has left to live with her birth mother who drove from Wisconsin to NY to get her on Monday, Chelsea's 18th birthday. Rosie allegedly advised her not to go and held on to Chelsea's birth certificate and social security card, and cut her off financially.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/08/26/rosie-odonnell-daughter-chelsea-birth-mother/

I guess it is better than living with the strange guy she met online. Poor Rosie, though.  :(

edit: (the comments on TMZ are horrible, as usual)

Wow.  Can't imagine what is going on with all of this.  A million questions.  

• Love 2

Ugh...for some reason I see a lawsuit headed by Chelsea and her mother against Rosie in the near future with outrageous claim after outrageous claim.  This is going to get messy real fast.  Poor Rosie O.

• Love 4

I agree w/ Rosie cutting off Chelsea financially.  I'm sure Rosie has trusts set up for each of her children but i'm guessing they don't kick in until 21 or older.  I wonder if the bio-mom thought it would play out this way; in my mind she was probably hoping that Rosie would continue to support Chelsea financially even w/ her daughter living away from Rosie. I don't know the situation mind you but I hope Rosie holds out and doesn't let the bio-mom win, which let's face it she was probably hoping to get a huge payday.  This usually ends with the bio-mom accepting a payout and showing her true colors to Chelsea, that she wants money and not a relationship w/ her daughter.

• Love 5

To quote Whoopi, we don't know, we weren't there. Nothing is more mysterious than someone else's family. I do recall Rosie mentioning that there was some tension involving Chelsea back when Rosie was doing the show in Chicago? I think Chelsea had some adjustment issues about this arrangement - she might have been attending boarding school? Point being, all this tension may have been at work for a while.

In retrospect, what a shitshow that Chicago TV show was. Sounds like Rosie had been sold a bag of goods she had not bargained for (she wanted a show in NYC, Oprah wanted to keep her old show crew employed.) Plus the show itself was a mess, and it could have not been easy for the family to deal with the geographic distance.

• Love 3

Yup, just as I predicted a few days ago, she went to live with the bio mom. And I read in an article that her bio mom said that Chelsea complained that Rosie got "too close" to her. It can only get worse unless her bio mom gets past the honeymoon period and decides Chelsea is too big of a handful and tosses her out.

• Love 2

It looks to me like her birth mother is taking advantage of a situtition.... Id say Rosie did the right thing cutting her off financially.

I feel so bad for Rosie. Chelsa has not even met the bio mom and now she is living with her in Wisconsin?

It can only get worse unless her bio mom gets past the honeymoon period and decides Chelsea is too big of a handful and tosses her out.

Yep, and when Chelsea doesn't have the life of luxury that she is use to how long will she stay around?

Wonder where Kelli is during all of this? Also seemed like Ro was the only parent.

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 2
The Rosie "got too close" to Chelsea has shades of the Paula Poundstone story to it.

This doesn't shock me at all, a teenager says something to someone else who misconstrues it to fit whatever nefarious plan they want.  Just putting that out there already will make people think the worst b/c she's gay.  I'm guessing the actual truth of the "got too close" was Rosie got in Chelsea's face in an argument...screamed at her, but the bio-mom wants people to think that she did inappropriate things.  

• Love 6

This doesn't shock me at all, a teenager says something to someone else who misconstrues it to fit whatever nefarious plan they want.  Just putting that out there already will make people think the worst b/c she's gay.  I'm guessing the actual truth of the "got too close" was Rosie got in Chelsea's face in an argument...screamed at her, but the bio-mom wants people to think that she did inappropriate things.

I totally agree. I'm just saying Paula Poundstone's career was almost destroyed by the stuff that was put out there by a disgruntled child. Chelsea's birth mother, IMO, is after money and it's almost surely going to get as dirty as the PP situation did.
  • Love 4

So in the past year, Rosie

• rejoined a former employer;
  • left for health reasons stemming from a hostile work environment;
  • separated from her wife;
  • is going through an extremely nasty and public divorce;
  • was called out by a presidential candidate as being ugly, disgusting and fat;
  • had a child run away to live with a heroin addict, who possibly molested her;
  • got the child back after a well-publicized nationwide search;
  • had her father die;
  • had her child leave her for her "real" mother, a former heroin addict;
  • disinherited said child; and
  • is trying to raise another three teenagers and a toddler at the same time.

Honest to God, I hope she survives this.  She's such a sensitive person, not only to her own life and relatives, but to the world around her. I really hope she's able to handle this ongoing clusterfuck. (I don't often use profanity when I post, but that's the only word I can come up with to describe the tsunami of stress that's been thrown at her all at the same time.)  My heart aches for her.

• Love 15

So in the past year, Rosie

• rejoined a former employer;
  • left for health reasons stemming from a hostile work environment;
  • separated from her wife;
  • is going through an extremely nasty and public divorce;
  • was called out by a presidential candidate as being ugly, disgusting and fat;
  • had a child run away to live with a heroin addict, who possibly molested her;
  • got the child back after a well-publicized nationwide search;
  • had her father die;
  • had her child leave her for her "real" mother, a former heroin addict;
  • disinherited said child; and
  • is trying to raise another three teenagers and a toddler at the same time.

Honest to God, I hope she survives this. She's such a sensitive person, not only to her own life and relatives, but to the world around her. I really hope she's able to handle this ongoing clusterfuck. (I don't often use profanity when I post, but that's the only word I can come up with to describe the tsunami of stress that's been thrown at her all at the same time.) My heart aches for her.

The hits just keep on hitting. My heart aches for Rosie and for Kelli. This can't be easy on anyone in the family. As I recall, Rosie and Kelli have always had shared custody of their four kids, but Chelsea is 18 now and is free to make her own decisions and go as she pleases no matter how self-destructive and ill advised. I think it's pretty clear that this situation has been a long time coming and is far more about a vulnerable troubled kid and a birthmother with ulterior motives than it is about Rosie and/or Kelli.

Ultimately, this may turn out to be a good thing in that Chelsea will once and for all get a picture of who her birth mother really is, even if it's a disappointment. Right now I'm guessing she has a fantasy image of her birth mother in her troubled little head that she has been building for a long time. A little dose of reality may be just what the situation needs even if it turns out to be a very hard lesson to learn. :(

• Love 7

This definitely looks like a teenage rebellious phase gone the worst possible way. If I had to guess, Rosie O would be the type of mother worst-made for this situation. Not because she's in any way a bad mother--everything I've seen of her implies someone who cares very strongly about her family--but what she probably means as attempts to keep in check and control of the creepy situation with the birth mother would probably cause a clearly already acting-out teenager to jump over the cliff. Just guesswork though, since we know nothing.

I suppose it pays to give the benefit of the doubt, but the bio-mom sounds sleazy. What with the first thing heard of her was her seeking media attention after Rosie's daughter decided to look for her bio-mom (with Rosie's help). Hard to read that as anything but a greedy bloodsucker.

• Love 2

And then there is her freaking money grubbing birth mother.  It all just breaks my heart.

Six days since I posted that.  What an unbelievable mess.  Gosh, Chelsea looks so much like her birth mother I don't remember if I noted that when the tabloids came out with this.

I suppose that birth-mom won't be interested in making sure that Chelsea stays on meds and gets therapy, this is going to be a disaster of epic proportions and it's all going to play out with hate filled screeds against Rosie's "lifestyle" and political leanings.  And at Chelsea's age, this disrupts her education in a big way.

Heartbreaking.  Poor Rosie and Kelli and all the kids.

• Love 6

It made me feel concerned when it was reported that Rosie kept her birth certificate and social security card. It sounded so sad like she was grasping at straws to exert control. Chelsea is 18 now and the control issues like that are effective and only breed more contempt in her daughter because her daughter is now able to get them herself.