Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Don't Look Now

(edited)

I just realized something:

If Charles isn't in that grave, are we going to be submitted to another round of the "Who's in the hole" game? It could be any male (or Maya) who has "died" or "disappeared". First I thought that anybody from the past few seasons would give the weeds enough time to grow but then I remembered that most of them have only been dead for like 4 months according to this timeline. I definitely don't think Charles is dead.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 1

I don't post much anymore but last night I really noticed how much Sara resembles Cece post-haircut. I have no idea if that even means anything. If I think too hard about PLL I get a headache.

If smoking a doobie will help Spencer sleep, she should do it.

I am bummed about Hanna and Caleb, they were each other's rock (and my rock) on this show. Sad face.

• Love 3

I agree with most of your points, but addiction isn't really something you get over. She's not addicted "again;" she's still addicted, and she's going back to drugs because she thinks they'll help her cope with the trauma she suffered. This is one plot line that makes perfect sense.

But this is Rosewood and more importantly ABC Family so no instance of drug use can exist without providing a cautionary tale about the dangers of drugs.  By the end of the season Spencer will probably have to detox off pot, even though that's not really a thing (from what I have heard the worst that happens is you feel a little down for a week or two while your brain comes back to normal and that is if you smoke everyday for an extend period of time).  But seriously I am not really looking forward to substance abuse story line number four.  We have seen it before and the timeline on this show is so compressed that it really doesn't make a lot of sense when one of the girls goes through all the phases of addiction and recovery in the course of like eight episodes.  Even with Spencer, her recovery alone should have taken a few weeks if not longer, which is like a season and a half on this show, not a couple of episodes.

Yes, this is what I meant by "Spencer is magically once again addicted to drugs to the point she’s going dumpster diving."  It's probably the fault of the writers, but there's just no build-up, progression when Spencer is dealing with substance abuse issues. It's like one moment she's normal or detoxed and then the next episode she's desperate for drugs. Yes, full blown addicts craving a fix have erratic behavior but Spencer did not seem to be at that point till she raided the Montgomery's trash. Thus the whole thing comes off as a plot device brought up when it's convenient for cheesy drama rather than a well-developed addiction storyliine arc.

The Dilaurentises were living in Georgia until after Jason was born.

So if Charles tried to kill Ali when she was 11 months old, and he was sent to Radley after that and the DLs came back to live in Rosewood, it would make the respective ages of the kids: 9 (Charles), 8 (Jason), Ali (11 months)

The video at the Campbell farm couldn't have been on their last day together as a family, because both kids look younger than 7 and 8. Also, I know we didn't see baby Ali but I was under the impression that she was a new born.

Or is it just a continuity error and we're supposed to roll along with this?

So did Mr. Hastings make a little trip to GA to visit baby Charles and while there impregnate Mrs. D with baby Jason? Or did Mrs. D return to Rosewood and hook up with Spencer's dad while someone else babysat?  This is the problem I have with the whole Charles as the eldest DiLaurenis kid--how would Spencer's parents not know he exists?  And as smart as Spencer is, why would she not seek them out for info/answers.

Hell at this point I don't understand why the Liars are still running around secretly sleuthing. The police are finally on their side; they could tell everything they know and maybe finally catch A.  The only threat he's given is the one against Sarah and they could put her in protective custody if necessarily. It really doesn't seem like A holds quite as much over them as he did when the show began or even a couple seasons ago. The tables have turned but Marlene King and the writers are still writing this as a story of silly, scared bullied girls who can't confide in anyone but themselves. If this is the case then all the girls need some serious therapy for a multitude of reasons. Otherwise it's time to see some character development.

• Love 1

A PLL gets locked in a room ... again.  Geez, how many times are they going to go to that well ?

I'm genuinely surprised about the lack of followup once the PLLs were found -- are the cops even still looking for A ?  He/she did kidnap 5 girls and assaulted two police officers while abducting the PLLs -- I'm pretty sure those are still crimes.

"Don't be silly, Dad, I'm just going to the darkroom! What could possibly happen in a DARK ROOM?"

"Oh hey, since Andrew's not A and that means a person who kidnapped and tortured kids for years is on the loose and probably still after you guys, the cops have a few more questions so I went ahead and told them to just wait a few days while you guys go about your normal lives before you go to talk to them again to help with their investigation. NO URGENCY!"

"Sure, A is omnipotent and super-human and can control space and weather and time, but it's not like he could make a gravestone look like it's been there a while! That's just silly!"

• Love 3
(edited)

These girls have serious coping problems.

So am I supposed to think that the girls were implanted with chips or something?

When they was nekkid.

Spencer's addiction issues is the one thing that makes sense. She has always run 0 to 60 with nothing in between. Ok I also love Emily and her being clingy to a girl she doesn't know. Another coping mechanism that makes sense and fits a character.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

I find it interesting that in this episode we specifically learned that Charles was fifteen months older than Jason and Charles tried to drown/scaled Ali when she was eleven months old. Normally the show is deliberately sketchy about dates and ages. Was it ever established how much older Jason is than Ali? He graduated the same year as Melissa and Ian? I seem to recall one of the girls looking through an old yearbook a few seasons ago. Hey and Jason fell down the elevator shaft last year in show time. Wasn't that like three seasons ago? (ETA: I checked and the NAT Club was in the 2003 yearbook which would make Jason 8-9 years older than Ali which obviously doesn't line up with the old home movie we saw of Jason, Charlie, and Ali).

If Charles was at Radley until he was sixteen, then he knew Bethany. Was Aunt Carol the one who visited Bethany and gave her gifts?

Was Emily wearing a plaid shirt tied around her waist over plaid shorts? Normally Aria is the one whose outfits I notice (and not for good reasons). And Ezra is still wearing his weird shirts with really short sleeves buttoned all the way to the neck.

It's nice to see Alison and Jason acting like non-fighting siblings for once. I wonder how long this will last. Poor Jason though. All this time he thought he had an imaginary friend because his parents lied to him. No wonder he feels betrayed. I don't know why Ali got so upset when her dad told her why they sent Charles away. What was this "let him rest in peace" crap she said? You just found out that you had a secret brother who was institutionalized and allegedly committed suicide. Wouldn't you want to know as much about him as possible?

Was it explicitly said that Jason graduated the same year as Melissa and Ian? Charles’s creepy dollhouse prom was based off of Melissa and Ian’s prom from 7 years prior so it can be assumed he’s their age and was holding the prom he missed out on, which would make Jason about a year younger than Melissa and Ian. So Charles would be 7 years older than Ali and Jason would be 6 years older. The boys in the video with Jessica and infant Ali did not look 6 and 7 though. They looked a couple of years younger but whatever, it’s hard to cast kids.

Maybe Bethany was Charles' first Ali stand-in? Before he kidnapped Sara and dressed Mona in a horrible blonde wig, maybe he and Bethany played pretend Ali in Radley? 

This show seriously overdoes the plaid on Emily. We know she's gay. She doesn't need to carry around a plaid shirt at all times to prove it. It's like whoever is dressing her thinks all lesbians wear is plaid. And yeah, I've noticed Ezra's penchant for weird short sleeve button up shirts too. What the hell is up with that? Thought maybe it was just my disgust with him clouding my judgment but these shirts make him look even creepier than usual.

I liked seeing Ali and Jason working together too. Although if I was Ali I might be holding onto some resentment towards him since he helped get her locked up for a crime she didn’t commit and believed she was capable of murder. But it’s not like Ali has a lot of people on her side so guess she doesn’t have the luxury of holding onto grudges, plus she probably understands the need for forgiveness more than most.

I kind of understood Ali not wanting to hear all the gruesome details about the time her older brother tried to kill her. It’s got to be upsetting to hear your own sibling wanted you dead.

• Love 1

I liked seeing Ali and Jason working together too. Although if I was Ali I might be holding onto some resentment towards him since he helped get her locked up for a crime she didn’t commit and believed she was capable of murder. But it’s not like Ali has a lot of people on her side so guess she doesn’t have the luxury of holding onto grudges, plus she probably understands the need for forgiveness more than most.

If I remember correctly, Jason did make amends on the witness stand. Unfortunately the DA knew about his affair with Ashley and used that as some sort of conflict of interest - I'm fuzzy on the details now. But in the end Jason did try to save Ali. It's Mona that I'm STILL waiting for Ali to confront. I noticed that she said last night that A/Charles framed her for Mona's murder, so maybe that's being swept under the rug - it was Mona's plan, A just stepped in and kidnapped Mona afterwards.

I had forgotten what a poster mentioned upthread, about Sara being the mean girl of her own PLL group, and now she's reformed her mean-girl ways after her trauma. So, essentially Emily is being paired with an Ali-knockoff. I wish we could skip that and get back to the actual Emison, but everything on this show has to be dragged out.

No tears for Caleb whatsoever. He should have told Hanna that he wanted to put a tracker on her car, and it's a major violation of her privacy that he put the tracker on without her knowledge or consent. That's not cool. I don't care if his motives were "good," because then he could've just told her what he wanted to do. That's some A-level shit there, and it was disturbing that he seemed oblivious until Hanna got mad at him. I've felt before that he just might be part of the A-team.

• Love 2

Aria: "I just want to focus on something other than myself."

Me: "That's a first."

Spencer becoming a pot head is my new favorite storyline. Also, did Spencer switch a big ugly brown sweater for a big ugly brown coat?

Sarah's haircut really does suit her. Gotta wonder how deeply affected she is and if still connected to A.

Clark: "Hello, I'm Clark."

Me: "Maybe all the girls will get new black boyfriends this season."

The group finding a Charles grave surprised me. Whether it's truely Charles I doubt, but I could see it going either way. This episode may have had more answers than any other, I enjoyed seeing so many puzzle pieces being put in place at once. Nice to continue to see the parents in their limited capacities. Haven't lost interest in the girls' PTSD and where Sullivan plays into the story. Ezra's a goober. And maybe a pedophile. Nice eye candy as always.

I thought it was a pretty great episode but I'm going to need to see Queen Mona soon.

• Love 1

Hey do we know for sure if Ian graduated with Melissa?

When the girls were in the dollhouse Spencer said "it's the prom Melissa took Ian to"

I don't know where I'm going with this.. Just wondering

I'm adding a rule to the PLL drinking game: Every time a patient confidentiality rule is violated, take a shot. Seriously, have these writers never heard of HIPPA? First of all, that those Radley files would be in unlocked boxes is totally preposterous. Plus, Spencer trying to get medical records over the phone. That's probably the most infuriating thing about the show for me.

Speaking of Spencer, I fully support her quest to get high. However, I do fear that she would end up being a super paranoid stoner. 

The number of ways the writers find to get these girls locked in different kinds of rooms is hilarious to me. Old ice cream factories, room-sized kilns, and now dark rooms. Why do any of these girls go anywhere that has a lockable door?

I understood Hanna being upset that Caleb put a tracker on her car. However, speaking as someone who has had a significant other go missing (even though mine was only for a day), I absolutely would have put a tracker on his car if he was being as shady as Hanna. Hell, my s.o. had to text me every hour for a few weeks or I threatened to call the cops to send out a search party. Hanna was traumatized, but Caleb also suffered from the trauma of not knowing where she was. 

The picture of Ali and Jason was absolutely hilarious. It didn't even look anything like Jason. For a second, I thought it might be Charles.

The fact that any of these people think having a grave means a dead person is in it is absolutely hilarious to me. How many empty or misnamed graves have we seen on this show now?

At this point, Sara better be evil because there's no other reason I should care about her at all.

• Love 1
(edited)

So how old was Jason when Charles supposedly went to Radley? 7 or so, right? Pretty hard to believe his parents convinced him his brother was actually his imaginary friend. The whole story is quite idiotic. Especially given that Alison was supposed to behave been murdered early on in the show yet all the attention from the police and the media on the DiLaurentis never lead to this story becoming public and they somehow kept it a secret from everyone.

Why is everyone pretending Mona doesn't exist anymore?

Edited by David Selig
  • Love 1
(edited)

Everything about Charles is so silly. from the way he was introduced (an anagram, really?!) to his retcon-smelling backstory, to his complete and utter lack of motive for giving a shit about the Liars or even Alison. I mean, they did mention the possibility of somebody just using Charles's name to mess with them but you know that in this show Charles being, well, Charles is a possibility. So he was a murderous psychopath ever since he was born... such great character depth, right?

I don't know, the characterization seems better this season than in seasons 3B-5 (not that this is much of a benchmark, mind you) but the plot is still over the place. Hanna and Caleb are going over the exact same plot they had in 3A, Emily and Sara is seriously starting to make me think Emily/Alison wouldn't have been quite as bad in comparison and Spencer's drug storyline should never have been introduced in the show in the first place. And now I see that the next episode is about Leslie and her sister?! Who gives a damn about Leslie or her sister?

So bad it's good moment of the episode - Spencer needing Ezra (!) to direct her where to find some weed.

"Sure, A is omnipotent and super-human and can control space and weather and time, but it's not like he could make a gravestone look like it's been there a while! That's just silly!"

Maybe they wanted to get out of there ASAP because everyone knows that Hanna and Spencer near a shovel is a disaster waiting to happen. But yes, that was really stupid. Even if the gravestone was old doesn't mean there was a body in the grave or that it was Charles. Not that the girls could have run a DNA test on any remains they might have found, mind you, so the whole thing was a bit of fool's errand. Same with looking for Charles's Radley record - like A wouldn't have destroyed or changed any really incriminating info in it.

Oh, and since this needs to be repeated as much as possible - why not ask Alison some questions about her time on the run, girls? She seems to have magically grown a conscience, ask her!

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 4

The boys in that video looked like toddlers so based on that alone, I thought they were maybe three or four years old. But 5-8 years older than Ali seems a stretch unless we are supposed to believe that they were both seriously off the bottom of the height/weight chart for their ages. I know the footage was brief but they acted like toddlers too, not kids already in first, second, or third grade.

Sarah's haircut really does suit her.

I agree but only because now she totally reminds me of Jennifer Jason Leigh in SWF. Well, that and I'm glad we don't have to see that terrible long wig on her. I keep waiting for her friends to show up in Rosewood for a reunion gone sour where one of them blurts out that it was a relief when she was gone (of course Sara will cry and turn to Emily).
  • Love 1

I'm adding a rule to the PLL drinking game: Every time a patient confidentiality rule is violated, take a shot. Seriously, have these writers never heard of HIPPA? First of all, that those Radley files would be in unlocked boxes is totally preposterous. Plus, Spencer trying to get medical records over the phone. That's probably the most infuriating thing about the show for me.

Speaking of Spencer, I fully support her quest to get high. However, I do fear that she would end up being a super paranoid stoner. 

The number of ways the writers find to get these girls locked in different kinds of rooms is hilarious to me. Old ice cream factories, room-sized kilns, and now dark rooms. Why do any of these girls go anywhere that has a lockable door?

I understood Hanna being upset that Caleb put a tracker on her car. However, speaking as someone who has had a significant other go missing (even though mine was only for a day), I absolutely would have put a tracker on his car if he was being as shady as Hanna. Hell, my s.o. had to text me every hour for a few weeks or I threatened to call the cops to send out a search party. Hanna was traumatized, but Caleb also suffered from the trauma of not knowing where she was. 

The picture of Ali and Jason was absolutely hilarious. It didn't even look anything like Jason. For a second, I thought it might be Charles.

The fact that any of these people think having a grave means a dead person is in it is absolutely hilarious to me. How many empty or misnamed graves have we seen on this show now?

At this point, Sara better be evil because there's no other reason I should care about her at all.

THERE'S A PLL DRINKING GAME?

Why do I not know this?

Does it involve a bottoms up drink every time Emily makes her shocked face?

Spencer on pot is just not gonna work. Pot opens up your mind, she needs to shut it off. I'm calling it now, she's gonna remember killing someone on The Night of Many Yellow Tops.

I thought Caleb did well by putting a GPS on Hanna's car. I don't see why she's lying to him at this point. She said it herself when Emily asked her to lie to keep Sara safe... "WE BARELY KNOW HER"

My biggest problem with this episode was how the girls just chose to lie AGAIN. Have they learned nothing?

I expected everyone would bring their A game by now. I understand they're not exactly in the clearest state of mind, but aside from Hanna they're all acting stupider than usual. It seems like we'll be getting bits and bits until the finale, probably because if they give more we'll figure it out in a second.

I just hope Tanner busts in on all of them (including Mona and Sarah and Andrew and Ezra and all the parents) and forces them to talk. We keep making fun of the RPD but honestly Tanner hasn't been given a chance to work properly because no one tells her anything but acts super shady all the time. 

God help me I'm actually enjoying Aria this season. The hair makeover is nothing in compared to waking up covered in blood that isn't yours, but Lucy Hale is totally killing it.

And Sara is definitely evil. If the Stockholm Syndrome didn't already exist, she would've invented it.

I've missed the risen mitten so much. This show isn't the same without the A tags.

• Love 1

So how old was Jason when Charles supposedly went to Radley? 7 or so, right? Pretty hard to believe his parents convinced him his brother was actually his imaginary friend.

You can brainwash almost anyone to believe almost anything, provided that you have the access, time, and will. A 7 year old is going to be particularly vulnerable to their parents just constantly gaslighting him and punishing him every time he doesn't go along with their version of the story..

And I don't doubt that they'd have been willing to resort to using drugs to alter Jason's mental state, which would actually explain a lot of Jason's issues with drugs and memory throughout the series.

• Love 6

Where the hell is Mona? I'm not someone who particularly notices or cares about character absences on this show since I know they probably have budget issues and I'm mostly watching for Emily and Hanna anyway, but...have we even seen Mona since the premiere?

• Love 1

I can't believe Hanna just picked up a shovel and started digging. That's like 10 felonies in Rosewood.

When a hospital or any doctor's office closes, the records have to be sent to another medical provider. They don't just get destroyed. Under Pennsylvania law, hospitals must keep records for seven years after last treatment and for minors, seven years after reaching the age of majority. So if Charles died at 16, his records could (and probably would) be destroyed when he would have been 23. But if he was not dead and was discharged, or left on his own, they would be destroyed on his 25th birthday. Also, if Charles committed suicide, there would be a Coroner's report; that would be on file with the county indefinitely. Of course, you now know more about PA medical records retention law than the writers do.

If A is Charles, I think the motive is pretty clear and makes sense. He tried to kill Ali, got locked up in a mental hospital for it, and has continued his obsession and resentment ever since. Surprisingly consistent. The "how" makes no sense, though.

The Emily-Sara storyline is my least favorite ever. I hate it even more than Ezria. For God's sake, she is not a stray puppy that you get to take home and keep. She is a traumatized teen, possibly a psychopath, who needs professional help. If mom won't take her (and that's a big if--I can't believe Pam hasn't talked to her personally) than she should be in foster care.

• Love 5

Dull episode.

It's was like watching Scooby Doo with no pay off for the viewer. At least Spencer got her some scooby snacks! They are just going round and round in circles. Stealing files, digging graves, deaths and resurrection. Enough!

No Toby was good. Ezra was creepy and suspicious. Aria's Dad come out of nowhere. Where has he been? Was waiting for her to cry and explain that Charles ruined her hair. But I will agree that I like Aria a lot more lately than I used to.

I half expected Jason to utter, "so you're the rain man!"  The DiLaurentisessss are all so blank and dull. Everything seems in slo mo when they are on screen.

So I guess National Geographic guy is a creeper too?

Sara was really irritating. I almost want to FF. I supposed she's going to become obsessed with Emily and isolate her from her friends etc.  I do like that Emily's mother is around for once.  Emily wasn't much better than Sara, "Don't worry, we're together. Nothing will happen." And she risked herself by going to that shrink. Ask your mother for another one Emily. Didn't 'A' record all their other sessions?

• Love 2

Because she also found that picture in the button jar last week just as fast! XD

PS: OMG Spencer Hastings, you beat me to the punch! XD

Great minds!

But seriously, she did nothing for 6 seasons and now she's finding everything. During the Summer of Answers.

• Love 3

You can brainwash almost anyone to believe almost anything, provided that you have the access, time, and will. A 7 year old is going to be particularly vulnerable to their parents just constantly gaslighting him and punishing him every time he doesn't go along with their version of the story..

I already mentioned My Sweet Audrina in reference to not believing that a grave is necessarily someone's grave just because there's a headstone, and now I have to mention it with regards to brainwashing a 7 year old. In My Sweet Audrina, the main character's family brainwashed her into believing that she had an older sister with the same name who died on her ninth birthday. They told her that they named the main character after her older sister so that she would inherit all of her older sister's good qualities. In actuality, there was no older sister. When her father finally confessed what they did to her (years later when she was in her 20s), she asked how they were able to do it and he said it was easy because she was a child and they just told her things to make her believe. Her mom would have "weekly" tea twice a week to make her believe that time was going faster. When she woke up from a nap, they would tell her a few days had passed instead of a few hours. They put a fake headstone in the ground with her name on it and made her visit it. Although they succeeded in convincing a 9 year old that she had a dead older sister, they also ended up making her feel like she was crazy. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I can only imagine how confusing it must have been for Jason as a child and even when he got older. Like he said, his parents made him doubt himself.

Where the hell is Mona? I'm not someone who particularly notices or cares about character absences on this show since I know they probably have budget issues and I'm mostly watching for Emily and Hanna anyway, but...have we even seen Mona since the premiere?

We haven't seen her since they escaped the dollhouse. When the girls were at the hospital in the second episode, one of the girls said Mona was down the hall and then in the third episode, they said that her mom took her Out of Town.

When a hospital or any doctor's office closes, the records have to be sent to another medical provider. They don't just get destroyed.

Unfortunately, companies and institutions do not always follow the law. When Edgewater Hospital in Chicago closed, the entire place was abandoned. There are rooms full of old medical equipment as well as patient records. People broke in frequently to take pictures of the creepy hospital and many of them said there were records with people's social security numbers, addresses, etc. just lying around. They were not stored securely and they were not destroyed. It was pretty common knowledge but still no one did anything about it. If I still lived in the area, I would have just brought a shredder inside and started shredding everything in sight. The former owner of the hospital is finally being charged (for obstruction of justice and perjury, not the actual healthcare fraud that caused the hospital to close or failing to properly store/destroy thousands of people's medical records) over a decade later.

(edited)

The boys in that video looked like toddlers so based on that alone, I thought they were maybe three or four years old. But 5-8 years older than Ali seems a stretch unless we are supposed to believe that they were both seriously off the bottom of the height/weight chart for their ages. I know the footage was brief but they acted like toddlers too, not kids already in first, second, or third grade.

I agree. My own daughter is not quite 5 and they appeared (both in physical appearance and behavior) a little younger than her.  

Also, wasn't it indicated that Melissa/Jason/Ian etc were about 4 years older than the Liars in the early seasons when Ian was around. I seem to recall that Spencer was around 14 when Ian/Melissa were seniors making them around 18. 

It also seems far too unbelievable that a boy of 7 or 8 could be convinced that his brother was only an imaginary friend. A 3 year old years later, maybe due to memory at that age, but by the time the boys started school it would be hard for Jason, let alone other classmates, to not know Charles existed. 

As far as the medical records go, what was Spencer's line about not being able to pick up her own unless she went through her doctor's office? I'm not sure about minors, but if Spenc is 18 there is no reason she can't get her own records. They're your records for pete sake! 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 1

Every time Sara is on screen, I`m yelling "take her to a professional, she is wacked out! Have you seen that hair?!" 

But seriously, Sara is most likely evil, or just very screwed up, and the sooner Emily figures out the audience knew in about 15 minutes, the better. Like, a girl who was held underground for years needs to be in therapy! All the girls need to be in therapy, but Sara is Most Likely to be Evil. 

Hannah and Caleb better not take a long break from each other. They're the only couple on this show that makes any sense!

• Love 1

The thing is at that time the Ds were living in Georgia not Rosewood. They moved to rosewood after Charles was admitted to Radley

Except in the video they are at the Campbell Farm which is in Rosewood.  So clearly Charles has spent time pre-Radley in Rosewood. Makes you wonder if the writers even know what they are writing at this point....or if they care as long as it gets them renewed for another season. 

• Love 3

Someone up thread mentioned Clark was suspicious but I thought maybe it was Mr M who locked Aria in the dark room. He was super worried when she disappeared and wasn't at Hollis the day before. Would be interesting if he wasn't worried about Aria being hurt but hurting someone else. Pure speculation and it's probably actually Mona, Toby, Sara, Lucas, Wren, Cece, Ezra, or Charles who locked her in there but I have always enjoyed the AriA theory.

I don't blame Spencer for tracking down some pot. I think it's ridiculous that her mom wouldn't let her take something for sleep. Her problem was with "study aid", presumably a stimulant. Anti-anxiety or sleep meds monitored by a physician would be perfectly reasonable. But to give her nothing and then ignore her like normal? At least give the girl a Tylenol PM.

Ali was dressed much better this episode. Obviously they've taken our notes on that.

Sara needs to die or be revealed as evil ASAP. Emily has the worst taste in relationships (and that's saying something considering Ezria and Spoby).

• Love 3
(edited)
I don't blame Spencer for tracking down some pot. I think it's ridiculous that her mom wouldn't let her take something for sleep. Her problem was with "study aid", presumably a stimulant. Anti-anxiety or sleep meds monitored by a physician would be perfectly reasonable. But to give her nothing and then ignore her like normal? At least give the girl a Tylenol PM.

Agreed. Still, Veronica's reaction was one of the most realistic things I've ever seen on the show. She panicked, went: NO MORE DRUGS, thinking that kind of thinking would solve everything, that she knows best and shouldn't bother educating herself. I doubt there are many parents that would have reacted differently. In real life, it would probably have take Spencer educating herself and then passing on that information to her mother, ideally with the help of a physician at some point. I never had a drug problems or a serious mental health problems but I know controlling mothers. 

Which is probably why I'm on Hanna's side when it comes  to the Haleb argument, even though both articulated their POVs exceptionally well. But when you feel suffocated, you first instint is to push back, HARD, doing everything to gain back some breathing room, even if it means lying to your boyfriend, while knowing it's wrong, and push him away. Boy, do I know about that too!

Okay, therapy time over!

Someone up thread mentioned Clark was suspicious but I thought maybe it was Mr M who locked Aria in the dark room. (...)Would be interesting if he wasn't worried about Aria being hurt but hurting someone else.

I love this theory, especially because I'm all but convinced we're getting AriA in some fashion or another. Girl has a split personality. 

but Sara is Most Likely to be Evil.

That summarises the vibe she projects to a T. I get she's obviously Emily's unhealthy coping mechanism, much like drugs is for Spencer. Still, I think smoking a little pot is much safer than living with Sara and I'm probably not supposed to think that. But I just want her gone, mother of God, I'm almost missing Paige at this point. Speaking with Paige, that scenes on the pool must have been a smack on the face to Paily shippers.

And Emily looked embarrassingly thirsty.

Lately, I can't seem to take her seriously. She jumps from one girl to the next.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1

Agree. Still, Veronica's reaction was one of the most realistic things I've ever seen on the show. She panicked, went: NO MORE DRUGS, thinking that kind of thinking would solve everything, that she knows best and shouldn't bother educating herself. I doubt there are many parents that would have reacted differently. In real life, it would probably have take Spencer educating herself and then passing on that information to her mother, ideally with the help of a physician at some point. I never had a drug problems or a serious mental health problems but I know controlling mothers. 

I agree that not letting Spencer take a sleep aid was a bit extreme since her addiction was to the exact opposite type of drug.  Surely a physician at the hospital could have advised her on the best course of action if Mrs. H would have consulted one. Heck, her other daughter is dating a doctor--she could have called Wren for advise.  Mrs. Hastings has been characterized as a professional, educated woman so it seems odd that she didn't take the issue more seriously in terms of the effects of Spencer not being able to sleep and thus becoming sleep deprived again.  What I don't get is why all the parents aren't taking therapy for all the girls more seriously. They were kidnapped and tortured. You don't just adapt back to regular life after that. Sure it took Emily taking her dad's gun for her mom to decide it was time, but wasn't it time as soon as they were rescued and before they went back to school?   

• Love 3
(edited)

I think it's important to remember that the girls have been out of the dollhouse for 3 or 4 days.

It's understandable that the parents are trying to not push them too hard. Even with Sara, the situation is just awkward and if she says she doesn't wanna talk to her mom, then Pam is no position to say anything. She did share her concerns with Emily which makes sense. I think it echoed our feelings about Sara as well.

I'm hoping things will pick up around episode 6 or 7... I'm enjoying the girls struggle with the dollhouse aftermath but I also don't see how every question can be answered within 6 episodes at this rate.

Edited by raytch
  • Love 2

Because she also found that picture in the button jar last week just as fast! XD

PS: OMG Spencer Hastings, you beat me to the punch! XD

Haha you just reminded me of something I wanted to comment on.  Did anyone else catch the #OMGSpencer during the scene when Spencer was going through the trash looking for drugs?

Personally, I thought it seemed a little wrong.  Isn't the phrase OMG used in less serious situations?  You know phrases like "OMG what is Aria wearing?" or "OMG I can't believe she just kissed him."  instead of "OMG you relapsed on drugs and you've been forced to going through people's trash to get high."  I know the hashtags normally suck on this show but this one felt particularly bad.

I agree that not letting Spencer take a sleep aid was a bit extreme since her addiction was to the exact opposite type of drug.  

I keep seeing this rationalization about Spencer and drugs but it really doesn't matter what type of drug her initial problem was. She's an addict and it basically boils down to this: whatever substance gives her the desired effect she wants, she's going to go for it and she's going to overdo it. It's what they do.

• Love 2

I keep seeing this rationalization about Spencer and drugs but it really doesn't matter what type of drug her initial problem was. She's an addict and it basically boils down to this: whatever substance gives her the desired effect she wants, she's going to go for it and she's going to overdo it. It's what they do.

I feel like my quote was taken a little bit out of context. What I went on to say was that her mother should have consulted medical advice about Spencer having a sleep aid rather than denying her the medication. Yes, she had a prior addiction that made her situation different from the other girls but that doesn't mean that she'd automatically become addicted to it if given in a controlled environment under medical care in a temporary time frame.  If Spencer was badly injured and required pain medication would they deny her that because of her previous addiction to stimulants? In most instances, the patient would just be monitored more closely or perhaps given lower doses.  Also, there is the psychological element to Spencer's addiction--what drove her there in the first place--the need to stay awake. That's not the same in this situation. In fact, it seems that the girls not getting proper treatment/counseling is what's driving Spencer back to drugs.  It just seems like Mrs. Hastings was hasty (no pun intended) in her decision to deny Spencer a sleep aid immediately following their rescue without considering the implications of not relaxing/sleeping/stressing. 

• Love 4

I feel like my quote was taken a little bit out of context.

I wasn't meaning to call you out, specifically. Yes, Spencer should be able to take a prescription for all those reasons you mentioned above if she's monitored properly. I was just having issues with several comments along the lines of: "Spencer was addicted to speed, so she won't have a problem with Xanax." And now that she's going in search of drugs unsupervised, she's gonna have a problem.

• Love 1

It is always ill-advised to take prescription drugs without being monitored by a physician which is why one needs a prescription in the first place. My problem is with Mrs. H's attitude that an addiction to stimulants should preclude Spencer from taking any prescription drugs ever. Perhaps she needs more monitoring than Aria (now that I think about it AriA theorists might wonder if she sent Spencer dumpster diving on purpose) but it's understandable that Spencer feels driven to find relief on her own given the Hastings' black and white rules and parental neglect. I'm really not looking forward to another Spencer spiral that will then be "fixed" in two episodes.

• Love 2

When Hanna pointed out that Caleb's constant monitoring was making her feel like she was back in the dollhouse, I really expected him to get a "oh crap" look on his face and apologize.  I don't think they broke up or anything, but hopefully he'll apologize next episode and they'll be back to normal.

I do wish someone would have pointed out to Hanna that digging up Charles' grave would be futile.  Spencer: "Even if you found a body, how would we know who it is? We've been down this road before [glares intensely at Ali]"

I'm suspicious that Sarah is working for A.  I'm REALLY suspicious that she's Cousin Nate 2.0, and will be another filler side-quest for Emily that is completely irrelevant to the plot.

Spencer's drug addiction rehash (npi) is tiresome, but I loved her conversation with Ezra.  Her delivery of "I can't sleep" was unnerving.

End-of-Season-1/beginning-of-season-two:  Samara.  Remember her?  No?  Probably why Em doesn't get anymore normal gals.

She turned out to be a 1000 year old original vampire, so not all that normal after all. :)

• Love 2
(edited)

She turned out to be a 1000 year old original vampire, so not all that normal after all. :)

Now she's a rookie cop in Los Angeles circa 1967 (see NBC's Aquarius) being mentored by Fox Mulder.  Anyhoo.

I am not so concerned about Haleb.  Hanna was totally in the right to ask for some space since Caleb was suffocating her, even though his intentions were good.  I loved Hanna in this ep - she's the liar who's not putting up with anyone's BS.

I also laughed when Aria said she wanted to focus on something other than herself b/c we know how self-involved she is.  

I want to see what pot does to Spencer, will it mellow her out or make her paranoid?  I like that we're learning the mind games Charles/A was playing during the three weeks.  So he made Spencer think she'd murdered someone, but cut Aria's hair and made her color it with red streaks? OK then.  I want to know what he did to Hanna and Emily.  Did he make Emily wear plaid underwear? Put Hanna in a fat suit?

Edited by apgold
  • Love 1