Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

According to youtube, the woman in the video is someone named Andra Day, who I've never heard of, but she's a singer. She seems to be pretty new to the music scene, since she's only got one album out.

Ah, ok thanks.  There was something rather annoying about her singing, like she was trying too hard.

• Love 2

I just saw the Snoop pistachio commercial and the VO goes "Snoop does it ...habitually.  Shouldn't that have been ...chronically?

I think they're referring to his drug habit. Which isn't funny. I stopped buying those pistachios after that commercial came out.

• Love 1

Thanks, Riley!

When TSS came out, it really scared me off tampons, too! 

Kinda funny story about another one of my brothers.  He was 5 or 6, maybe.  Digging around in my purse, and said "Why do you have so many toothbrushes?"

So, forevermore, they were called toothbrushes.

I remember an ep of The Young Ones in which pRick (the "p" is silent) grabbed a girl's purse at a party, pulled out a tampon, and thought it was a little mouse puppet and started making it kiss people.

ETA:

Found it!

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 2

Speaking of grody things, there's this ad for Mucinex in which their snot-mascot is pestering a woman on a plane that ends with the stewardess grabbing him and shoving him into the overhead compartment. Eww! Why the hell did she grab him bare-handed?

• Love 3

There's a new Old Navy ad with a couple who were apparently banished to the "children's table" and ignored because of what they wore. After an annoying smart-ass child tells them to get some cheap decent-looking clothes from the sponsor so they will be allowed to join the adults, they run off for some quick shopping.

Isn't it too late at this point?

• Love 4

I think they're referring to his drug habit. Which isn't funny. I stopped buying those pistachios after that commercial came out.

They are obviously talking about his love for the herb, but it's legal here so I don't think it's any different than a beer or wine commercial.  *shrug*

• Love 5

I Can Haz Cheeseburger is actually a pet peeve (see what I did there...) of mine because cats would NEVER talk like that! Cats have perfect grammar and judge you if you don't. They all have vaguely British accents, too. Have these imbeciles with the website never seen Dodsworth? Do they not know of the god Morris? Ignorant savages!

• Love 15

I Can Haz Cheeseburger is actually a pet peeve (see what I did there...) of mine because cats would NEVER talk like that! Cats have perfect grammar and judge you if you don't. They all have vaguely British accents, too. Have these imbeciles with the website never seen Dodsworth? Do they not know of the god Morris? Ignorant savages!

Well, I wouldn't go *that* far - Brit accents & all - but they are definitely not illiterate.  My cat has a "Facebook" account where he tells everyone I'm his typist.  He had a "friend" that spoke in that baby-talk shit & Bosco called him out on it.  We understand - cats do not have the physical equipment to speak properly, but, by gum, when they've got their Yumans typing for them, they can post in proper English.  Sid, the baby-talking cat, immediately unfriended Bosco.  Some Yumans are just SO touchy.  And we never posted a word about how freaky a nekkid cat looks.  (Sid's a Sphynx.)

Apparently, those chezburger folks never watched a Henri, the Existentialist Cat video, either.  Henri would sniff in disdain at them.

• Love 4

Years and years ago, my parents went out to dinner with a guy my dad worked with, and they brought me and my sister along as a treat. Medium-priced place, with tablecloths and such, so we were supposed to be on our best behavior. Halfway through the meal, my sister left the table to go to the restroom, and when she returned she asked our mom if she could have a dime so she could "get a napkin from the machine on the wall". This was back in the late seventies or early eighties, so she couldn't have been much more than seven or eight, but man. I'm laughing just thinking about it.

My mom called them mouse beds.

Estée Lauder Modern Muse commercial. Kendall Jenner walking down the street to the tune of "Lady Marmalade."

Do people forget the song is about a prostitute?

And....? Do publicity whores count? They could have a family sing along.

Edited by crowsworks
  • Love 8

I just saw the Snoop pistachio commercial and the VO goes "Snoop does it ...habitually.  Shouldn't that have been ...chronically?

I would not be surprised if they shot it both ways (or planned to) and the latter got censored or something. I mean, it's the same pun but it's funny what sometimes gets a No, word choice wise.
  • Love 3

Heh. I was thinking "medicinally" would fit in with them being in pill bottles, but I dislike that pothead so it doesn't matter much to me.

• Love 1

We understand - cats do not have the physical equipment to speak properly, but, by gum, when they've got their Yumans typing for them, they can post in proper English.

Who says it isn't the cats who are speaking properly? Researchers have been able to teach cats to understand  hundreds of words of English; what's the most cat-speak any human has been able to manage? Although, to be fair, what cat has ever been interested in teaching a human more than a few basics?

• Love 6

One wonders what the people at Chili's (or whatever eatery chain it is) were thinking when they picked "Danger! High Voltage" as the music for their latest commercial. I've seen the video of the song, so it doesn't make me think of food. It makes me think of a moose wearing a flashing codpiece.

• Love 1

One wonders what the people at Chili's (or whatever eatery chain it is) were thinking when they picked "Danger! High Voltage" as the music for their latest commercial. I've seen the video of the song, so it doesn't make me think of food. It makes me think of a moose wearing a flashing codpiece.

I haven't seen that ad, but is it the same song as from the JK Simmons ad for Farmer's where he says, "You think you're paying for this, but you're really paying for THIS." and there's the stereotypical Guido fixing his hair outside a yellow Lamborghini?

What is the woman saying in the ad for the wireless doorbell webcam when the guy caught trying to case her place and weakly offers a tree-trimming service? I swear she says "Sorry, I'm dating my children right now", maybe "Sorry, I'm beating my children right now", but I just cannot tell.

• Love 2

What is the woman saying in the ad for the wireless doorbell webcam when the guy caught trying to case her place and weakly offers a tree-trimming service? I swear she says "Sorry, I'm dating my children right now", maybe "Sorry, I'm beating my children right now", but I just cannot tell.

Haven't seen it in a while but first thought (and sort of jives with your mishears) was "bathing". That's a hazy memory though. I am not confident in this guess.
  • Love 3

I saw a commercial for perfume last night that featured Julia Roberts in a long white gown slinking through a party where everyone else was wearing black. Except that when I first saw it, I thought it was Caitlyn Jenner, since she seems to favor gowns like that, and I wondered when Caitlyn had started doing commercials.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2

A correction to my previous post:

Turns out that it's not for a restaurant; it's one of those "got milk?" commercials. That makes it even worse. Any commercial that makes me associate white fluid with moose codpieces is not taking me anywhere that I want to go.

There's a new Old Navy ad with a couple who were apparently banished to the "children's table" and ignored because of what they wore. After an annoying smart-ass child tells them to get some cheap decent-looking clothes from the sponsor so they will be allowed to join the adults, they run off for some quick shopping.

It took me a watch or two to realize they were Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen. Not that it makes much difference to the amount of sense the scenario makes on its own in the commercial, but I can see the two of them doing something like that on Portlandia. Except that Portlandia characters would probably *mock* Old Navy... so... there's that.

• Love 2

I feel like I'm missing something in the Campbell's ad where the little kid wants R2D2 soup and he asks the clerk for it, and then the mother repeats it, and then there's a beat, the clerk gives a weird look, and then he takes them to soup.

What's the issue? Is it that R2D2 soup isn't really a thing, and he wasn't very specific about what he wanted, and it took the clerk a sec to figure out what it was? I'm confused.

• Love 1

What's the issue? Is it that R2D2 soup isn't really a thing, and he wasn't very specific about what he wanted, and it took the clerk a sec to figure out what it was? I'm confused.

I think it's that the child is very young and his R2D2 doesn't immediately sound like the cute 'droid from Star Wars at first. The first time I saw the ad, I wasn't sure what he was asking for the first time. It's a cute ad, though.

Finally saw this - he's got a hoodie, she's in a Friday-casual blazer; they're not matching each other in style-levels, fine. But the next guy to come in is wearing a flannel shirt, which ranks with hoodies to me. So not getting it.

(Also, nobody's forcing them to *stay* seated at the kid's table while everyone else is mingling.)

• Love 2

I just saw a Walmart ad where a young African American woman is hosting Christmas dinner for her family. She gets all the food ready, then says: "And then comes the best part. Honoring those who are racist."

Well, according to closed captioning she said "honoring those who raised us," but that's sure not what it sounded like!

• Love 2

I hate those ads for oranges with pyschotic children, but isn't the little girl who leaves the head of her toy horse on her father's pillow doing it wrong? I thought in the Godfather, the horse head was a prized race horse of the victim. Shouldn't there be something he likes on that pillow?

• Love 3