Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Are pizzas getting run over in the parking lot such an epidemic that Domino’s needs to offer insurance?

We’ve had a LOT of pizza in our time and not once has it been ruined either when we take it out or during delivery.

• Love 7
On 11/23/2017 at 10:00 PM, InDueTime said:

I realize he's Joe Montana, but I'm not understanding how hearing the word "pass" would compel him to pick up a vase and hurl it at the wall. Every time I see this, I'm like, "Huh?" 

I think it's a weird ad because Joe Montana looks like an individual with PTSD and no impulse control. Which, given the very real issues of concussions in the NFL, is not funny.

• Love 10
On 11/23/2017 at 7:00 PM, InDueTime said:

I realize he's Joe Montana, but I'm not understanding how hearing the word "pass" would compel him to pick up a vase and hurl it at the wall. Every time I see this, I'm like, "Huh?" 

In this age of Harvey Weinstein I feel particularly bad about saying this, but my first thought was that I wish he had hurled it at Kat Dennings instead.  She's so annoyingly arrogant.  No need to book my place in hell, I have a long standing reservation.

• Love 2

The Alexa commercial about kids birthday parties.. The can falls onto the birthday CAKE and he asks Alexa where the nearest PIZZA place is? Why the "F" doesn't he just get an always available and ready store bought birthday cake at any grocery or even convenience store?

Edited by tiredofwork
  • Love 6

kids would rather have pizza instead of cake? not in my experience, they want both. Pizza first, then cake.

etrades, I've seen the ad for a while, but I just caught what it was for. It starts with a small boat in the ocean that gets run over by a big cruise ship or yacht with some nerd like guy bouncing around to music that to my untrained ears (untrained in anything more current than The Eagles and Barry Manilow - I'm old, I'm allowed) sounds like a cross between Caribbean/Reggae and Rap. I take the message is use etrade, get rich, don't give a damn about the little people, the people you have to run over to get rich. Because the no one on the yacht seems to give a damn about the people in the little boat, they're too busy bopping around and partying. Sad commentary on today.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I take the message is use etrade, get rich, don't give a damn about the little people, the people you have to run over to get rich. Because the no one on the yacht seems to give a damn about the people in the little boat, they're too busy bopping around and partying. Sad commentary on today.

Sounds like somebody at the ad agency let their political views get in the way of the intended message. Past ads have not suggested being callous or running over anyone; just that being rich lets you cruise through rough times.

• Love 2

I wonder if the Orbit gum people realize that the bank robber in their ad who announces "Ladies and gentlemen, this is a robbery" sounds exactly like Jesse Jackson.

On 11/24/2017 at 0:47 PM, mojoween said:

Are pizzas getting run over in the parking lot such an epidemic that Domino’s needs to offer insurance?

We’ve had a LOT of pizza in our time and not once has it been ruined either when we take it out or during delivery.

If it's Domino's, running over the pizza might make it better.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Sounds like somebody at the ad agency let their political views get in the way of the intended message. Past ads have not suggested being callous or running over anyone; just that being rich lets you cruise through rough times.

The message I get (because the ad features a line about the stupidest guy from your high school just bought a yacht) is that if you use E*Trade, you can get even with assholes like this guy.  Which is kind of funny, considering the idiot dives off the back of the yacht which we've been told is going 50 knots - so he's going to get left behind by his fancy yacht full of models and cocaine.  Okay, the cocaine is just in my imagination.  Oh, and I think the people are windsurfing.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5

E*Trade has a series of these "Don't get mad, get even" flavored ads all meant to stoke resentment of anyone who has more stuff than you.

Stock trading, even using E*Trade, is a labor-intensive activity. You have to constantly monitor what's going on and make decisions and adjustments. There's probably some short-term gain for E*Trade in getting people to sign up knowing that a large number of investors will find it to be too much work. Sort of like a gym membership right after New Year's. Anyway, I tend to be suspicious of anyone trying to use envy and spite to sell me something. Sorry, guys -- rile up someone else. 

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 7

I don't get the relatively new Progressive ad with Jamie, two female Progressive employees, and the handsome new employee. It makes me feel sorry for Jamie that he supposedly thinks he's as good-looking as the new guy, so much so that they could be twins? And the two female employees who are all but mocking him for thinking that?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

I don't get the relatively new Progressive ad with Jamie, two female Progressive employees, and the handsome new employee. It makes me feel sorry for Jamie that he supposedly thinks he's as good-looking as the new guy, so much so that they could be twins? And the two female employees who are all but mocking him for thinking that?

Especially since he says he's good at comparing, and then compares Progressive to other insurances.  If he's so bad at comparing himself to the good looking guy, doesn't that mean he's bad at comparing insurance companies?

• Love 2
On 11/30/2017 at 9:56 PM, Silver Raven said:

Especially since he says he's good at comparing, and then compares Progressive to other insurances.  If he's so bad at comparing himself to the good looking guy, doesn't that mean he's bad at comparing insurance companies?

Yeah, they're basically saying that Progressive makes bad comparisons.

• Love 1

There's an ad I see now and then that makes me scratch my head. It's for one of those EBay knock off sites. One woman says she's won over 500 auctions this month! Is she buying all that s**t for resale as a business or does she have a serious shop-aholic problem? I am not sure I buy 500 items in most months and that includes groceries, maybe if you count every candy bar in the bag and every carrot in the bag, I shop for myself only. Good grief, I'm not sure that winning that many auctions is something to brag about. 

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

There's an ad I see now and then that makes me scratch my head. It's for one of those EBay knock off sites. One woman says she's won over 500 auctions this month! Is she buying all that s**t for resale as a business or does she have a serious shop-aholic problem? I am not sure I buy 500 items in most months and that includes groceries, maybe if you count every candy bar in the bag and every carrot in the bag, I shop for myself only. Good grief, I'm not sure that winning that many auctions is something to brag about. 

She's a hoarder.

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

There's an ad I see now and then that makes me scratch my head. It's for one of those EBay knock off sites. One woman says she's won over 500 auctions this month

Is that the auctions, or that "rebates" site? There's one who brags about getting "$500 dollars this month!" and I'm like "yeah, and you spent how much to get that 2% back?"

• Love 7

I've mentioned this before, but it was a long time ago. I use ebates, and the most I've ever gotten is $35ish. It pays quarterly. There were several bonuses ($5, a 20% day) that allowed me to get that much, but yeah, the average site pays back 2-3%. If someone's getting back $1000, they are spending a shitload of money!

I usually only get a payout maybe twice a year, because it won't pay until the total reaches $5 or more, and I don't have enough per quarter to get the payout. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't belong to the program, or I'd get more money!

• Love 7

the ad came back on a few minutes ago, it's Deal Dash and she said she won over 500 or 504 auctions last month. I read an article about how it works and it's still too shady and yes, she probably is a hoarder or a shopaholic.

Mea culpa, it's 4 months and 104 auctions, which is still a lot, but I guess she has more money than sense. When I had an income, I used to buy on EBay a lot, I have a lot of stars, which only represents less than half of the auctions I've won, because while sellers want buyers to give them stars and reviews, most can't be bother to do the same for buyers. 

Edited by friendperidot
listened carefully to the ad
  • Love 7
On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:40 PM, xaxat said:

Uhh, leaving on your lights kind of defeats the purpose of your trip.

I didn't even notice that.  I really liked this commercial, but now I'm gonna think about this every time I see it.

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I've mentioned this before, but it was a long time ago. I use ebates, and the most I've ever gotten is $35ish. It pays quarterly. There were several bonuses ($5, a 20% day) that allowed me to get that much, but yeah, the average site pays back 2-3%. If someone's getting back $1000, they are spending a shitload of money!

I usually only get a payout maybe twice a year, because it won't pay until the total reaches $5 or more, and I don't have enough per quarter to get the payout. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't belong to the program, or I'd get more money!

Plus, it's not anything you buy on any site you visit, there are specific categories on specific sites each month.  Or it worked that way when I tried it, at least.  And I never got my $10 gift card.

13 hours ago, Haleth said:

Not to mention his dead battery out in the middle of nowhere.

Some cars will automatically shut off its lights a few minutes after you shut off the ignition, if you haven't already done so. The idea is to temporarily have light to get into your house, but some drivers are lazy and let the car do it even when they don't need the temporary light (e.g. parking lots).

Some cars will automatically shut off its lights a few minutes after you shut off the ignition, if you haven't already done so. The idea is to temporarily have light to get into your house, but some drivers are lazy and let the car do it even when they don't need the temporary light (e.g. parking lots).

But do they leave the radio on?  LOL

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I remember my '67 Beetle - you had to turn it on to get the horn to beep, but the radio played by itself. You could turn off the car & walk away, but the radio would still be playing.

OMG! I had one of those too. One of the best cars I ever had. Thing was like a little tank, snowy weather be damned.

• Love 4

I had a '77 Beetle! I loved it! It had levers between the seats for the heat, but they wouldn't stay up, so I had pantyhose rigged up to tie around the levers to hold them up when I needed the heat on.

It also had a huge rusted hole in the rear right floorboard through which one could see the road. My dad bolted in a slab of sheet metal. Problem solved!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I had a '77 Beetle! I loved it! It had levers between the seats for the heat, but they wouldn't stay up, so I had pantyhose rigged up to tie around the levers to hold them up when I needed the heat on.

It also had a huge rusted hole in the rear right floorboard through which one could see the road. My dad bolted in a slab of sheet metal. Problem solved!

Oh that's hilarious! My girl friend had one like that too. She put some ply wood over it. She also had no drivers seat so she used a wrought iron patio chair in it's place. Drove from L.A. to Tahoe in a snow storm with it like that. The thing just ran like a dream.

Edited by peacheslatour
Edited to add I wish I had never sold mine.
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

She also had no drivers seat so she used a wrought iron patio chair in it's place. Drove from L.A. to Tahoe in a snow storm with it like that.

!!!

Sounds totally safe. What we do when we are young and poor and feel invincible!

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air was popular at the time when I had my Beetle, and like Will Smith called his car the "honeywagon" on the show (because he dated "honeys" in his car), my sisters and I jokingly called my car the honeywagon. (Get it--Volkswagen...honeywagon...) My mom had a novelty imitation NC license plate made for the front bumper. It said HUNYWAGN.

When I did the seasonal stint for UPS, the hub was across the street from a mechanic/restorer of Beetles. It made me wistful. I'd love to have one again, were I to win the lottery that I don't enter.

• Love 4
On 12/8/2017 at 1:03 PM, bilgistic said:

I use different CB sites depending on the percentage of cashback they are offering. Amazon is a part of some sites with limited categories usually the same on each site.  Amazon change CB categories every so often. Here are the ones they offer CB from through ebates.

Amazon @ ebates

Here  is a site that I use that tells me what percentage each CB site is offering from all the stores.

20 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Where is this mythical WalMart? Where everyone is smiling and the checkout lanes aren't an exercise in hand to hand combat?

Cullman, Alabama. Kid you not - my husband grew up there and we go back for various reasons. About 10 years ago they built a huge Walmart, and when we find we need various things, Walmart is the place to go. I'm currently wearing socks I forgot to pack, and drinking from an insulated party cup from there. Friendliest, cleanest place. Never have long lines - we get in and out. Totally cracks me up that Walmart is the "in" place in Cullman.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, xaxat said:

Where is this mythical WalMart? Where everyone is smiling and the checkout lanes aren't an exercise in hand to hand combat?

I saw their commercial last night with helpers in bright colored vests guiding customers to the fastest check out lane.  Fat chance in my town.  They don't employ enough people to man the check outs let alone extra employees to guide customers to the fastest.

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:00 PM, InDueTime said:

What confuses me is how much that vase Joe throws against the wall looks like a spaghetti squash!

And where the hell does that ad take place? It looks vaguely like a coffee shop, but Kat says she bought the chair and Joe pays her for the vase he broke. But wait, who are all those people milling about?

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:21 PM, friendperidot said:

that may be loneharanger, but every time I see that little boat run over by the yacht, then the fool dancing around, I keep worrying about what happened to the people in the little boat. I didn't even know what the ad was for until today.

Those were windsurfers he almost ran over.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:49 AM, xaxat said:

Frank Thomas! You used eugenics to lose weight? That's not cool!

Oh, you said Nugenix? Never mind. 

Hee hee. That reminds me of an ep of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia in which Charlie and Dee squabble over whether not wanting to eat a dead black guy is racist.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

What confuses me is how much that vase Joe throws against the wall looks like a spaghetti squash!

And where the hell does that ad take place? It looks vaguely like a coffee shop, but Kat says she bought the chair and Joe pays her for the vase he broke. But wait, who are all those people milling about?

And why is he using his sweater to collect the pieces? Get that man a broom and dustpan!

• Love 1