Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, elzin said:

I'll be the lone GOT hater. I'm incredulous that it keeps winning. I feel it's Emmy-stasis, that phenomenon that happens once something wins it wins every year, deserved or not.  I was pleased with how different (for the most part) the start of the show was, and now it's rut time again.

I know I'm in the tiniest of groups of GOT haters, and I wish so much I could love it again, but it's just so. bad.

I've never seen it, but from the little I know, I know I would hate it. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ugh I thought Lena had that in the bag.  I hate Cersei so much and it's all due to Lena.

Here's where I wish she'd been GoT's only nominee in this category, because I'm willing to bet she would've won if she had been.  Honestly, if another actress from GoT was going to be nominated this year, it should've been Sophie Turner, but YMMV.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, elzin said:

I'll be the lone GOT hater. I'm incredulous that it keeps winning. I feel it's Emmy-stasis, that phenomenon that happens once something wins it wins every year, deserved or not.  I was pleased with how different (for the most part) the start of the show was, and now it's rut time again.

I know I'm in the tiniest of groups of GOT haters, and I wish so much I could love it again, but it's just so. bad.

I appreciate not liking something, but from a purely objective standpoint, "Battle of the Bastards" was a masterful piece of directing.

• Love 7
Just now, maraleia said:

There's way too many straight women in this thread so I, as a lesbian, must give a shout out to the hotness that is Sarah Paulson. Also, Nina Jacobson is pretty cute too.

Not a lesbian, but I cosign on the hotness that is Sarah Paulson.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, elzin said:

I understand that. I still think the episode that won was truly one of the most incredible episodes of TV I have ever seen. (And I watch far too much TV)

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, SpikeGal said:

SNL hasn't been watchable for at least 10 years, IMO. 

As an old fart (and, ironically, today is truly my birthday. How did I get to be 44? How?), I haven't found SNL watchable/funny since the Hartman/Hooks/Carvey cast in the '80s. Considered that era the silver to the '70s gold cast.

• Love 6
Just now, wallflower75 said:

Honestly, if another actress from GoT was going to be nominated this year, it should've been Sophie Turner, but YMMV.

I agree. Though I hold the unpopular opinion of always liking Sansa. I always thought I would like Arya more, because on paper she is a character I would normally really like, but I do not.

1 minute ago, jjj said:

Guess I need to watch GoT.  I'll start with these episodes.

You need to watch GOT because it's that good. Also, Outlander which deserved the costume design and production design Emmys not Game of Thrones because this year Outlander, ie  Terry Dresbach and Jon Gary Steele did a better job.

• Love 2

I couldn't appreciate the directing when I was too busy rolling my eyes at plot holes and inconsistencies. It's a whole package thing for me. I'm very jealous of people who haven't turned bitter like me.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, maraleia said:

There's way too many straight women in this thread so I, as a lesbian, must give a shout out to the hotness that is Sarah Paulson. Also, Nina Jacobson is pretty cute too.

Paulson is pretty hot. I honestly can't claim to know her from any particular roles, but I always like her. And I like her when I see her on talk shows too. Too many just drive me nuts on the talk shows. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

(and just an FYI, the board policy is no politics talk anyway, so we're all good here)

12 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

You're still welcome here, as long as you remember that political discussion is strictly verboten on this site because it never ends well.

Wow I did not know that.  I am 100% behind that rule.

There really is no reason to have a singer during "In Memoriam."  Just play a classical piece of music under the names.

I feel like the GoT actors all cancelled each other out.

I'm puzzled at Anton Yelchin, Muhammad Ali, Alan Rickman, Natalie Cole, David Bowie, Gene Wilder and Prince in the TV memorial?

• Love 4

UGH...ANYTHING but this song...

I love this song but I honestly don't know what it's about....something personal that Leonard Cohen went through. I just appreciate it on that level.  It amazes me how often I hear it at memorial services or even weddings, and nobody can explain what it means or why it's appropriate for the occasion.

• Love 5
Just now, Mumbles said:

I love this song but I honestly don't know what it's about....something personal that Leonard Cohen went through. I just appreciate it on that level.  It amazes me how often I hear it at memorial services or even weddings, and nobody can explain what it means or why it's appropriate for the occasion.

It's a beautiful song, I'll give it that, but I'm a bit tired of it being used over 4700 times already...

• Love 1
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

I'm puzzled at Anton Yelchin, Muhammad Ali, Alan Rickman, Natalie Cole, David Bowie, Gene Wilder and Prince in the TV memorial?

Probably because  the latter 6 appeared on tv a lot, but Anton was a series costar in the little-watched Huff. Early 2000s... Showtime? With Hank Azaria.

• Love 2

I believe the singer was Ellie Goulding.  Gene Wilder was included because he guest starred on Will & Grace  Even won an Emmy for it.  Anton Yelchin was on the TV series Huff.  

I was wrong.  It was Tori Kelly.  

Edited by camussie
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I know Prince was on a New Girl episode, and I assume the rest of them had some role on a TV show at some point.

• Love 2

John Saunders was a nice touch.  It's college football season and I miss him covering it.

Alan Rickman did an HBO TV movie in the 90s that won him an Emmy.  Wilder did a short lived series and won an Emmy for a guest appearance on Will and Grace.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Mumbles said:

The song is about the song writing process and divorce/the end of a primary relationship.  So, yeah, not all songs with the word hallelujah in them mean what people think they mean.

• Love 2
Just now, camussie said:

Gene Wilder was included because he guest starred on Will & Grace  Even won an Emmy for it

He also had a short-lived series, Something Wilder, years ago. There was a story on this site about it not long after he passed away.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, random chance said:

I know Prince was on a New Girl episode, and I assume the rest of them had some role on a TV show at some point.

Anton Yelchin started in TV. He was on ER and Law & Order: Criminal Intent in a guest role, to name just two off the top of my head.

• Love 3

There really is no reason to have a singer during "In Memoriam."  Just play a classical piece of music under the names.

I imagine they were included because at some point they did TV appearances and not because TV was how we knew them best.

Alan Rickman and Gene Wilder are Emmy winners, Anton was in a lot of tv shows before the movies, I'm sure the musicians and Ali did their fair share of tv work as well.

1 minute ago, chitowngirl said:

At least a Live singer stops the applauding from the audience.

I think they started muting the applause a few years ago -- and the singing was coordinated with the montage, which makes me think it was pre-taped?  I could be wrong, apologize if so!  But the timing had to be exactly right for the dialogue bits.

All appeared in TV whether it be for sport, acting or music.  Which is more inclusive than the Oscars where there is always one or two actors who do NOT appear for whatever reason and audiences call them out on it.