Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Blaine's World

I thought that was a really good season finale. I wish Liv had just killed Blaine, she cured him but couldn't he simply be re-zombies by one of his minions? I am also wary of the fact that she gave Major the cure without knowing it's effects. Not smart Liv.

I think all his zombie minions are dead, thanks to the suddenly badass Major.  But if the cure doesn't prevent re-zombification, he could be re-turned by any of his former clients.  Assuming none of them just kills and eats him...

Blaine is not wrong about his role in keeping ooc zombies in check with his business. Maybe it can be done without murdering people. Maybe getting the brains from the morgue like Liv?

There really aren't that many murders in a city the size of Seattle.  I mean, the real Seattle had 26 homicides last year.  Add a bunch more for questionable cases like some suicides, etc, and Liv still ended up eating most of [a realistic] Seattle's murder victim supply* by herself on screen.

* not counting Blaine's wholesale murder rampage operation

That said, Liv clearly shows zombies can get by with brains up to at least a few weeks old, and there are a lot of people who die who aren't murdered.  An enterprising rich zombie -- any of Blaine's clients -- could have tried to swoop in and buy up a mortuary or even just bribe a hospital mortician / morgue assistant.  It's kind of surprising none of them had the initiative to do so. You'd think most of them would chafe at being extorted by Blaine.  Anyways, CDC says the national death rate is about 821 deaths per 100,000k people.  Greater Seattle's population is about 3.6M, so that's 29K deaths per year -- easily enough to support the small number of current Seattle zombies and probably a whole bunch more.

I get that Liv might have had her mindset challenged by Major, and come to think of it, Veronica Mars also had a similar "I know what is best for everyone, so everyone should do as I say" vibe.  But even so, with the knowledge that a cure exists in theory, there's no way she just lets Evan die.  If anything, I think that was dumber than not verifying that she was actually getting Major back in the brains-for-hostage swap.

Wow, things may have felt a little contrived overall this season (Evan applying for a job at Meat Cute, Major meeting Scott E, Rebecca Hinson showing up at the police morgue), but OTOH I liked how rich it made the show by tying so many plot threads so tightly together... maybe aside from Peyton, who really did not get a lot to do.  Or Clive -- Malcolm Goodwin did a fantastic job with a fairly underwritten character, but ultimately Clive was still underwritten.

• Love 5
(edited)

Malcolm Goodwin did a fantastic job with a fairly underwritten character, but ultimately Clive was still underwritten.

Clive gives us the viewpoint of someone unaware of zombies. It's tricky for him to maintain that viewpoint and also interact with the other characters (which is how we would learn more about him). As it is, his acceptance of Liv has been pretty farcical--which I think was well done by MG's interpretation of the part. As much as I think I want him to figure it out, we would lose that viewpoint--or it could get shifted to a new character.

When they were viewing the contents of the flash drive, and then, "There's a video!" I was sure it was going to be Liv eating her first brains.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5

Nope. One parent has to be O and one positive, it doesn't have to be the same parent. Yeah, there is no one in my family who could donate blood to me. I guess if I'm ever in iZombie land and in need of a transfusion, I'm SOL :D

And now you have me wondering about Liv's Dad. Maybe next season?

Edit to add, there was something nagging at me about blood types, so did a little checking and apparently, neither of your parents have to be O for you to be. Parents who are A&A, B&B or A&B can have a child with O blood type. However if one parent is A/B there is no possibility for a child with O blood.

Thanks!

• Love 1

If we had zombies in my city of Chicago, I don't think anyone would notice. We have 500+ homicides a year. 

I'm wondering if the selfishness is a zombie trait or if that is part of the real Liv's personality. We never really met her so we don't what she was like. 

• Love 3

No one could have forseen this game of Clue being 'Lt. Suzuki in the charcuterie with a gas stove and Bic lighter.'

They showed Lt. Suzuki in the body bag with no visible head trauma. He might be fine.

Other loose threads include the video of Liv eating brains, and whether or not Peyton's a zombie.

• Love 3

No one could have forseen this game of Clue being 'Lt. Suzuki in the charcuterie with a gas stove and Bic lighter.'

Wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement for Bic, was it? Took Suzuki about 80 tries to get that thing to light off.

• Love 7

Since O positive is common (1/3 of people in the US), O negative is often thought of as more common than it is.

I'm glad the show didn't go with the "we need AB negative" trope, because although it is rare--they can take ANY "negative" blood, so it's not a case where you absolutely need to find a rare donor.  Genuinely being low on O negative is more of a problem, though blood banks try to give you whatever you are (to keep the supply of more flexible types for people who need that specific type.)

Also, the US imports blood from Canada (which, thanks Canada!)--and that's relatively easy in Seattle (but if there were a sudden emergency, such as, for instance, a rash of attempted murder, or right after Memorial Day), that could still be a problem.  The moral:  please donate blood if you're able, so a beautiful woman doesn't have to turn her brother into a zombie.  Or because you're a good person, or you like free cookies.  Take your pick.

Also, Rose McIver acted the daylights out of that single "no."  And the whole business with Major was amazing--and kind of scary how good intentions can go so horribly awry.  

Between this and The Flash, the CW has shows they're renewing because they're well-liked, rather than because the pilot season looks thin.

• Love 11

Wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement for Bic, was it? Took Suzuki about 80 tries to get that thing to light off.

Heh. Didn't Major have the same issue in the freezer? Does this mean they Bic didn't want to give them money for product placement? If so, I can't find fault with Bic for not wanting their products associated with mayhem. In another (crime) show, my brand of running shoes were mentioned by name when one was found on a severed foot. Ew.

Major took the lighter off the dead kid, then magically set a roaring fire in a freezer. (There was unlimited oxygen, but no apparent accelerant.)

Speaking of which—what was burning? The frozen dead kid?

• Love 1

I am in the minority I guess because I didn't like the episode.  I thought it was incredibly slow and kept looking at the clock.  It really only got good for me in the last 20 or so minutes but even then I am not sure how I feel about the episode.  Maybe the series itself.  Every episode has been up and down for me.  Some I like, some I do not.  And I have to confess I am not into zombie stories at all.  I liked the Nicholas Hoult movie but other than that no.  So I was pleasantly surprised to like this but I can see me dropping it next season.

Things I like?   I like Ravi and I like Liv when she is with Ravi.  I thought last week's episode was awesome because there was so much good Ravi interacting with Liv and the story. But tThe case of the week is hit or miss and usually a miss.  But maybe they drop it next season for a zombie war or something.   Blaine is a weak point for me.  I like David Anders well enough but Blaine is kind of a 1 note cartoon villain.  Now that he is not a zombie maybe he will be more interesting.  I liked the idea of Liv trying to make as normal a life for herself as possible. That was what I thought I was going to get.  So I think I've probably talked myself out of really liking this and going to I will watch it if I have the time thing.

• Love 2

Yeah...I can't help but suspect that Major and Blaine are now immune to the zombie virus, and thus both now available to be used as potential love interests in the future, but of course the only way for that to happen with Blaine is to tone him down and start making him a partial ally for a season or so...

Orrrr, Blaine starts scamming his former customers for whnat cured him.

And not verifying the identify during the hostage exchange was the most idiotic thing ever.

It was beyond stupid. As soon as I saw them produce the hooded hostage, I was yelling at my TV. Who was that, anyay, some random guy they snatched?

On the upside Major did something that Liv should have done a long time ago and taken care of the distribution network. It would have been nice if someone actually found out who they were delivering to but I guess that just leaves it all open ended.

It sounds like a season two arc to me.

• Love 4

Did that rich guy ever get his astroburgers?

Heh. I laughed at that because it never happens in the movies and on TV.

• Love 2

If Liv is O Negative one of her parents must be too, (unless she is adopted), I assume it's not her Mom, has her Dad been mentioned?

Edit to add, there was something nagging at me about blood types, so did a little checking and apparently, neither of your parents have to be O for you to be.  Parents who are A&A, B&B or A&B can have a child with O blood type.  However if one parent is A/B there is no possibility for a child with O blood.

Rh Negative is a recessive trait. So two Rh positive parents can have Rh negative kids. There's only a one in 16 chance both there kids would be Rh negative however, and that's only if both parents had the recessive gene. 

Everyone has two blood type genes, each of which can be A, B, or O. AA or AO is blood type A. Only OO is blood type O

AO  and AO  can have an OO child in one out of four chances, for example, so 1/16 for both kids. 

Other combinations like Mom AO-- Dad OO+- would give slightly better odds that both Liv and her brother would have O- while both parents being unsuitable as donors, but I think even in this case it works out to a 1/16 chance over all.

• Love 3

Overall a good finale, but I didn't love it 100%.

I love the title for this episode. The main thing I'm wondering about is if they'll kill Blaine, and TBH, I hope they won't. It's just my love for David Anders, I can't help it. I know he's a bastard and everything but he's just so fun.

I don't think they'll kill Blaine: I guess they know that 1) David Anders is amazing (I mean, they cast him for a reason) and 2) he's one of the most compelling characters, definitively with a lot of unexpressed (or not expressed yet) potential. 

Liv bothered me by forgetting rule number one of hostage exchange, for letting Blaine get away, and forgetting the cure bigger picture.  Major won points for his escape, but gets docked one for gloating after the grenade went off.  Liv had reason to believe Ravi had a cure that could be expanded to all the infected, so turning Major wasn't selfless but it wasn't necessarily the worst idea.  However, they definitely need Blaine for more contaminated utopium if they are going to try working on a cure again.

Yeah, I usually love Liv, but she disappointed me a lot, to the point that she's the reason why I didn't fully liked the finale.

While I still think Major is the weakest character and I mostly forget about his existence when he's not around (again, don't know if it's the writing or the actor), I have to give him points because this time he was kind of great. As I mentioned in the last episode thread, I felt that Major-as-a-zombie plot was near, but I expected him to be turned by accident. Instead, knowing how much he hates zombies, knowing that she lied to him and even suggested him to check into a mental hospital, she has the brilliant idea to turn him into a zombie without his consent. I get why she did it: she didn't want to lose him. But this is wrong on all levels! It wasn't her decision to make. At the very least, she could've asked. Major had all the rights to be pissed and I'm mad at her, too. As soon as I saw her about to inject the cure to herself and then stopped, I just KNEW she would've regretted it. Now the cure is over and her brother needs her blood to survive, but she had to say: "Yeah, no, thank you." Because instead of using the cure herself, she had to use it on Zombie!Major who, by the way, didn't want to become a zombie in the first place!

But I guess this had to happen in order to tease the audience with Zombie!Major = Major & Liv before turning Major into a human again without killing his character.

Sorry, but I didn't love this storyline.

I get the feeling they're going to turn Blaine into a reluctant ally of Liv's next season. There's still too much potential with his character, more so than with Major's, imo.

ITA.

• Love 1

When Major got his weapons stash out of the trunk with rap music as background

My little 80s-music-loving heart was bursting during this scene and thought the song went perfectly with the action.  My favorite scene of the night.   

• Love 5

I am in the minority I guess because I didn't like the episode.  I thought it was incredibly slow and kept looking at the clock.  It really only got good for me in the last 20 or so minutes but even then I am not sure how I feel about the episode.

Things I like?   I like Ravi and I like Liv when she is with Ravi. 

I'm right there with you in that minority.  It did feel slow which is the only feeling I got from this ep.  From beginning to end, everywhere I should have felt something, good or bad, I was either not buying what the actor/writing/scene was selling or just flat out meh.  *shrugs*

I do like the show, and agree  that Liv & Ravi are the best part.  I'm hoping Peyton will be back because I did enjoy those moments where we got to see her and Liv being friends and Liv needs that. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I do like the show, and agree that Liv & Ravi are the best part. I'm hoping Peyton will be back because I did enjoy those moments where we got to see her and Liv being friends and Liv needs that.

I assume neither Peyton nor Major wants anything to do with Liv. Nor with Ravi, once they find out he's known all along.

Edited by editorgrrl
And not verifying the identify during the hostage exchange was the most idiotic thing ever.

That was SO annoying. The fact that the dude was wearing his hood up should have been a gigantic indication he wasn't Major.

I so wanted Liv to go "I'm sure your phone has a contact list" and shoot Blaine in the head.

Same here. It was such a plot point not to say something. Blaine obviously had some sort of organizating thing going on; he wasn't keeping things only in his head.

• Love 2

Heck, it occurs to me that there is an even better solution. She cured Blaine. Fine and good. Immediately after doing that, she should have emptied the clip into his torso. So she could eat *his* brain. Human Blain cannot keep any secrets whatsoever from Liv, if Liv is willing to kill him. And he has forfeited his right to consume oxygen many times over. 

• Love 14

Major took the lighter off the dead kid, then magically set a roaring fire in a freezer. (There was unlimited oxygen, but no apparent accelerant.)

Speaking of which—what was burning? The frozen dead kid?

Yes, Major lit the body of the frozen dead kid on fire. I assume that the clothes are flammable enough to get things started.

I'm wondering if the selfishness is a zombie trait or if that is part of the real Liv's personality. We never really met her so we don't what she was like. 

I don't think that Liv is all that selfish. Yes, part of her probably zombified Major because she hoped they could unlive together happily ever after without thinking about his wants and needs.

But I also think that she reversed things as soon as she did because she was looking out for his best interests.

I think everything she did -- from the breakup to the present -- was not about Liv. She does plenty that she doesn't have to do, like solve murders. 

And she hadn't done anything horrifically selfish, like turn Major before he was mortally wounded.

Compared to most characters on this show, and most characters on TV these days, "selfish" isn't a word I'd apply to her.

That said, Liv clearly shows zombies can get by with brains up to at least a few weeks old, and there are a lot of people who die who aren't murdered.  An enterprising rich zombie -- any of Blaine's clients -- could have tried to swoop in and buy up a mortuary or even just bribe a hospital mortician / morgue assistant.  It's kind of surprising none of them had the initiative to do so. You'd think most of them would chafe at being extorted by Blaine.  Anyways, CDC says the national death rate is about 821 deaths per 100,000k people.  Greater Seattle's population is about 3.6M, so that's 29K deaths per year -- easily enough to support the small number of current Seattle zombies and probably a whole bunch more.

The thing is, a human can probably subsist on a diet of water and a few other staples, bread/rice, beans, vegetables. But most of us don't, because we like to indulge in sweets, have some variety in our diet, etc. Why would a zombie want to eat the brains of someone who died of Alzheimers or something a week ago, when they can harvest fresher brains?

Beyond that, with the rich guy realizing that he could relive part of the life of an astronaut if he ate one's brains, there's also the aspect of wanting to eat brains for not just sustenance but entertainment/experience. Zombies might want to eat the iZombieverse equivalent of Michael Jordan, or Dale Earnhardt Jr., or people who climbed Kilamanjaro or whatever.

• Love 5
(edited)

"So that they can live with themselves as members of the community of thinking beings"? Blaine is supplying their diet by *murdering children*. You don't have to be  a paragon of virtue to find even quite inconvenient and revolting alternatives to that preferable. Death is preferable, but in this case, given how much Blaine is charging, arranging a more ethical source isn't just the only acceptable course of action compatible with continued existence, it should also be a money maker. Buy out a mortician, keep charging people for burials, supply. Should be impossible to loose money, and unlike Blaine, you don't have to cover up constant murders. 

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't think that Liv is all that selfish. Yes, part of her probably zombified Major because she hoped they could unlive together happily ever after without thinking about his wants and needs.

But I also think that she reversed things as soon as she did because she was looking out for his best interests.

IMO, Liv cured Major so he'd stop being mad at her. She violated his body twice without consent. Liv should have explained the situation and let Major decide for himself. (And she should've shot Blaine in the kneecaps rather than curing him.)

It was literally the most selfish thing Liv could have done. Now Ravi can't study the elixir and reverse engineer some more. The fate of the human race should've been Liv's top priority—not her personal life.

And if Liv hadn't wasted the cure on Blaine & Major, she could've donated blood to save Evan's life, then cured him. Or cured herself before the transfusion.

Edited to add that Liv stole the cure from Ravi. It was not hers to do with as she saw fit.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 5

"So that they can live with themselves as members of the community of thinking beings"? Blaine is supplying their diet by *murdering children*. You don't have to be  a paragon of virtue to find even quite inconvenient and revolting alternatives to that preferable. Death is preferable, but in this case, given how much Blaine is charging, arranging a more ethical source isn't just the only acceptable course of action compatible with continued existence, it should also be a money maker. Buy out a mortician, keep charging people for burials, supply. Should be impossible to loose money, and unlike Blaine, you don't have to cover up constant murders. 

People, and zombies presumably, can rationalize all sorts of ethics.

Many people might condemn meat-eaters as unethical for the inherent exploitation and pain and suffering that comes from eating animals, or even by-products of animals like milk. Millions, or rather, billions of people are not particularly concerned with this exploitation to see it as an ethical dilemma.

I could see a zombie rationalizing the murder of street kids a whole bunch of ways. It's easy to say "I'd rather commit suicide than feast on other people and risk creating more zombies."  I bet it would be much harder if actually faced with that situation.

Being a mortician and eating the brains of relatives of clients sounds like a good solution. But there are certainly risks associated with it as well. There is a greater chance of getting caught versus killing anonymous teens since each of your clients will have a vested interest in what happens with the body of the deceased.

• Love 1

IMO, Liv cured Major so he'd stop being mad at her. She violated his body twice without consent. Liv should have explained the situation and let Major decide for himself. (And she should've shot Blaine in the kneecaps rather than curing him.)

It was literally the most selfish thing Liv could have done. Now Ravi can't study the elixir and reverse engineer some more. The fate of the human race should've been Liv's top priority—not her personal life.

And if Liv hadn't wasted the cure on Blaine & Major, she could've donated blood to save Evan's life, then cured him. Or cured herself before the transfusion.

Edited to add that Liv stole the cure from Ravi. It was not hers to do with as she saw fit.

I agree about what she should have done and that she shouldn't have just wantonly used the two doses of the cure.

But I don't think I can fault her for in the heat of the moment thinking "I can save Major's life" and not consciously realizing that maybe Major would rather be dead than a zombie. Or thinking after interacting with him, "Hey, sounds like he doesn't want to be a zombie. I should cure him."

• Love 1

... .. not really. You can extract the brain through the nasal cavity without leaving any visible signs. - That was part of mummification practices, so a bit of digging on the net or a university library will get you the details on how to do that right, at which point you have a perfectly presentable corpse to lay out for burial. Relatives do not, as a rule, ask to be present during embalming! So the risk of getting caught on that end of the operation is zero. Too many clients on the "sell the brains on" side of the equation might well present a risk, but it is a risk Blaine is running to, only in his case there is the extra, added risk of one of his clients figuring out where he is getting brains and deciding to pay a visit with a backpack full of C4. 

• Love 1

Being a mortician and eating the brains of relatives of clients sounds like a good solution. But there are certainly risks associated with it as well. There is a greater chance of getting caught versus killing anonymous teens since each of your clients will have a vested interest in what happens with the body of the deceased.

Eh, just scoop out brains from the ones that are gonna get cremated.

Honestly, Liv removes and eats the brains of murder victims, most of whom probably get regular buried, maybe with open casket funerals.  It seems like the rules of this show are that Liv will never ever get caught by anyone in the regular process of her job (plus the slightly extracurricular aspect of stealing the brains), except somehow by Ravi once.  She and Ravi talk about zombies all the time in there while anyone can waltz in at any point, and they even leave brain pizza just lying around!

• Love 3

Other loose threads include the video of Liv eating brains, and whether or not Peyton's a zombie.

The Peyton question is answered in the spoiler/speculation thread.

• Love 2

I agree with this to an extent. She should have talked to him about the cure before jabbing him with it. It would have shown growth because she wouldn't have lied or withheld information that he would need to know. For all we know, Major would have gone 'if staying a zombie means curing all of us in the future, then let's wait'. He could have still been mad at her, but it would have been his choice to stay a zombie for the better of mankind. And let's face it, Major is a good guy and I believe he would have done that for the cure to zombieism. Not to mention they don't know the side effects of the zombie cure. For all they know, it only half works and Blaine and Major will still need to eat brains to survive. 

However, I do think that she gave him the cure BECAUSE she was listening to him. It wasn't just about Major not being mad at her anymore (because he's going to be regardless), but it's about her wanting to correct a mistake and not wanting him to suffer like she has been. She knows her and Major won't be together anymore...at least, for a season or two. She's had to accept that and she just wanted to correct something that she knows she did wrong, even if it was for the right reasons in saving Major's life. 

And now she's in a dilemma because of the choices she has made. But you know what? It's human, it's normal to make these mistakes (in different scenarios, of course) and it goes to show that Liv is still human deep down underneath her zombie form. She's still a good person; she just does things that are selfish and I like that she is flawed. But I do think she's pissed off a lot of people now (Major, Peyton's more freaked, Ravi should be mad for a little while, and now her mom) and I think she's going to have to work at apologizing to each of them and figuring out how to mend the relationships. Her relationship with Peyton will probably be mended because I think Peyton will get over the whole 'my best friend's a zombie' thing. Ravi will forgive her because he'll understand what she had to do. Major will eventually forgive her too, but it'll take more time as she actually did some wrong things to him. And her mom? Well, if we take into the possibility of Evan surviving, Liv will have to come up with a REALLY good excuse for why she couldn't donate blood and I think a lie, for now, is in order. 

• Love 5
(edited)

However, I do think that she gave him the cure BECAUSE she was listening to him. It wasn't just about Major not being mad at her anymore (because he's going to be regardless), but it's about her wanting to correct a mistake and not wanting him to suffer like she has been. She knows her and Major won't be together anymore...at least, for a season or two. She's had to accept that and she just wanted to correct something that she knows she did wrong, even if it was for the right reasons in saving Major's life.

I think she was only partially listening to him. I definitely get what you're saying and can see Liv's mindset in giving him the cure. She was trying to correct a mistake because Major basically told her he would have probably rather have been dead then turned into a zombie. So in giving him the cure she's truly leaving it up to fate and either Major becomes human again or he dies (leaving aside that there could also be major side effects other than death since this is an untested cure.) But she didn't really take into account that one of the things that upset Major the most was that she took the decision out of his hands when she turned him into a zombie, and then she did it again when she gave him the cure without even discussing it with him.

I don't really know what the point of Liz eating Theresa's brains were, since it didn't really alter her personality to a great extent or even help solve much, since Liv didn't even figure out that it was Cameron that killed Theresa and his other friend. It would have been nice to just have Liv be Liv fully, since I don't really think they've done a good enough job of showing who that really is.

I definitely think Liv was majorly idiotic not verifying that was Major during the hostage exchange. Sure, some guy in a generic t-shirt is Major. It's not like Blaine is a duplicitous murdering psychotic.

I re-watched Major taking out Meat Cute twice. That was a great sequence and Major definitely has a good future as a zombie hunter. I really wish they had waited in giving him the cure. There was no real rush on it. I know he hated the thought of being a zombie, but I still would have liked to get zombie!Major for at least an episode or two. 

The cliffhanger was very interesting. I hope Liv can come up with a good excuse for why she didn't give her brother her blood otherwise her mother will be beyond livid. I also hope they don't kill him off.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 1

I'm thinking Liv's brother may be turned into a zombie after all.  At least there is a chance of it.  It looked like he had a lot of cuts and bruises from the explosion.  There was a ton of zombie blood and parts lying around.  What if some of that got into the cuts he sustained? 

• Love 5

Major could have just run off when he escaped so I give him points for going back to kill them all. He knew it was a risk but he was determined to kill them. I think letting the Meat Cute owner go will come back to bite him in the ass somehow next season though.

I wish they had let his character struggle with being a zombie a little longer though. He was (rightfully) angry at Liv for lying to him and keeping her zombieism a secret, so maybe being a zombie for a few days would have helped him understand those choices a little better. Was he going to run straight to his parents and friends and everyone he knew to tell then that he was a brain eating zombie? Probably not. That reality alone might help him better understand why Liv kept being a zombie a secret. Don't get me wrong - I totally understand Major being upset about it, but I think he might have had a little more sympathy for her once he was faced with the dilemma of telling people he loved about his condition.

• Love 3

Actually having zombie! Major, zombie!hunter would be fun:  "I kill zombies, but I am one!  And so is my ex-girl friend.  Should I kill her?  Should I kill myself? I dunno -- letr me go kill about a dozen extras while I try to figure it out..."

• Love 3
(edited)

I think letting the Meat Cute owner go will come back to bite him in the ass somehow next season though.

He didn't let her go. She's dead. Major moved out of the way when she attacked him and she hit her head on something. They showed her body when Clive and the police were cleaning it up. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

Hmm. Wasn't as good as I hoped, mostly rather predictable, but overall OK, with the exception of Major, whom I feel didn't come out of this episode looking well at all. While I do agree that Liv keeping him in the dark to the extent of letting him think he's crazy was awful, his temper tantrum over being turned into a zombie was ridiculous. It's not death! There's a cure! And seriously, dude, if you want to die so much, you actually still can! Just shoot yourself in the head and we'll be free of you (and the show will probably become much better). And anticipating some comments in the style of "You just like bad boys!" - I was actually watching with my husband (one of the nicest guys ever) and he hated Major's behavior way more than me, even.

Also, Major being all suddenly badass reeked of the writer desperately trying to make the audience like us. Sorry, didn't work for me, even if the scene itself was cool.

Still, while I blame mostly him for his guilting Liv, she's also responsible for basically letting her brother die (if he dies, which was implied, I suppose?) I mean jeez, there is a cure. It's not available ATM but it's possible to find the other components.

Liv not shooting Blaine was really annoying. And I don't even want Blaine to die (even if he deserves it x100 times), I just hoped that her hesitation before he shot Lowell meant there would be some development of her character in this direction. At least at this moment, she didn't really make a choice, Major just distracted her.

Way too little Ravi for my liking. Boo.

My theory for next year: there will be some side effects of the cure and Liv and Ravi will have to seek out Blaine to experiment on him to save Major. Meanwhile, Clive will start digging into Major and will probably learn about zombies.

PS I really didn't understand what Lt.Suzuki was doing in Meat Cute. Did he kill himself by chance or not?

I feel like, while turning Blaine human was a decent way to deal with him, there must be a better way than keeping him alive and in action. Find his client list, and start a zombie support group? Liv can help get them brains? It wouldn't be easy, but it might be possible.

Major has seriously gone from one of the worst to best characters on this show. Loved him taking down the Meat Cute crew! Not going to lie, it was pretty hot.

Should Liv had turned Major, or turned him back? I....need to think on it.

Overall, a really excellently end to an excellent season!  

• Love 1

He didn't let her go. She's dead. Major moved out of the way when she attacked him and she hit her head on something. They showed her body when Clive and the police were cleaning it up.

The running saw is what she careened into. I bet it was gruesome.

(edited)

She stumbled into the meat saw, didn't she?

Edited by Julia

Overall, I enjoyed this episode. However, Major almost dying then turning into a zombie then back into a human happened way too fast, it didn't give me any time to actually process and figure out how I felt about each change.

I liked that Blaine got turned back into a human, it's a good way to keep him on the show, although I agree with many of you who think Liv could have shot him in the head and be done with it. Alas, David Anders prevails, and I think the show is better for it.

• Love 4
(edited)

I really didn't understand what Lt.Suzuki was doing in Meat Cute. Did he kill himself by chance or not?

He was blowing the place up to destroy evidence of brains and zombies.  Since he doesn't know that Ravi knows about zombies, and because other officials might visit the crime scene, he needed to make sure it was "clean".

From the recap: 

Du Clark says that it's Super Max that infected some of the area's first zombies, and that the disorder spread from there.

Didn't Ravi make his zombifier from regular Max Rager and tainted Utopium?  Maybe with Super Max, regular Utopium would work?

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 1

I don't get why people are holding Major's outburst against him. He lost his job, he spent time in a mental hospital, he was attacked in his own home, beaten up in jail, kidnapped and ate Tommy's brain and had spent an unknown time in a meat freezer. Then he gets stabbed and told his ex girlfriend misled him every time the subject of zombies comes up and is a zombie and she zombifies him and wants them to be together literally 30 seconds after waking up. Why is Liv's selfishness celebrated as her being interestingly flawed and his momentary petulance after all the zombie related chaos infecting his life viewed as wrong?

Liv keeps making stupid decisions and Major is the first to call her on her BS. She's killed zombies before and yet when it comes down to it she can't be bothered doing it to the main bad guy for reasons...

I don't think I'll be watching this show again for a lot of reasons. Between the random personality of the week and all the suspension of disbelief about Liv's solving cases without anyone being curious about it I doubt I can be bothered.

• Love 2

No, I don't want to see any "now, he is a zombie; now he isn't" nonsense.  You can turn into a zombie once and once only. That's all.

Angel lost his soul again!

Please, God, no.

I wish they had let his character struggle with being a zombie a little longer though

I thought this was an extremely strong finale but they did try to do too much with it. The Meat Cute should have been resolved slightly more quickly to allow the "Major is becoming a zombie" plotline more room to breathe. And I would have liked to have seen a scene between Liv and Ravi about using the cure on Major before it happened. It was all too rushed. But I guess if we're dealing with the Meat Cute massacre, Suzuki arrives, blows Meat Cute up timeline of ?overnight? then it had to be rushed.

But these are all nitpicks. I really enjoyed this first season and thought this was a strong finale as well.

• Love 2

He was blowing the place up to destroy evidence of brains and zombies.  Since he doesn't know that Ravi knows about zombies, and because other officials might visit the crime scene, he needed to make sure it was "clean".

Yeah, but why destroy evidence at all?

Suzuki wasn't just detroying evidence; he'd finally found his way out. A way to stop Blaine's operation completely and to deal with his guilty conscience. After being forced into corruption and covering up successive murders, he saw a way to take Blaine down and end his own suffering. I personally bought it.

• Love 8

Hmm. Wasn't as good as I hoped, mostly rather predictable, but overall OK, with the exception of Major, whom I feel didn't come out of this episode looking well at all. While I do agree that Liv keeping him in the dark to the extent of letting him think he's crazy was awful, his temper tantrum over being turned into a zombie was ridiculous. It's not death! There's a cure! And seriously, dude, if you want to die so much, you actually still can! Just shoot yourself in the head and we'll be free of you (and the show will probably become much better). And anticipating some comments in the style of "You just like bad boys!" - I was actually watching with my husband (one of the nicest guys ever) and he hated Major's behavior way more than me, even.

Also, Major being all suddenly badass reeked of the writer desperately trying to make the audience like us. Sorry, didn't work for me, even if the scene itself was cool.

Still, while I blame mostly him for his guilting Liv, she's also responsible for basically letting her brother die (if he dies, which was implied, I suppose?) I mean jeez, there is a cure. It's not available ATM but it's possible to find the other components.

Liv not shooting Blaine was really annoying. And I don't even want Blaine to die (even if he deserves it x100 times), I just hoped that her hesitation before he shot Lowell meant there would be some development of her character in this direction. At least at this moment, she didn't really make a choice, Major just distracted her.

Way too little Ravi for my liking. Boo.

My theory for next year: there will be some side effects of the cure and Liv and Ravi will have to seek out Blaine to experiment on him to save Major. Meanwhile, Clive will start digging into Major and will probably learn about zombies.

I can see why you see this but I personally saw it in a different way. I think Major actually looked better than Liv, in some ways. Major had no idea that there's a cure for this, and how could he? He's just been piecing together all of this on his own. I'm sure he would have eventually settled with the idea of being a zombie, but him being pissed right after becoming a zombie is natural. I'm sure Liv felt the same way when she was first turned. He was ready to die in Meat Cute. He even asked Liv to just sit with him when he was dying. I find it refreshing that this show has the guts to have a character rightfully angry at being lied to. All of this could have been prevented if Liv had sat him down with Ravi and explained everything before he started running around all rogue hunter and buying guns and thinking he was crazy. Honestly, I don't know how cool I would be with becoming a zombie, especially if all the zombies I had met (besides Liv) had been killing teenage kids and selling their brains to other zombies. 

I think that's the problem that Major has. He doesn't know any other zombies besides these ones so he rightfully thinks they all must be bad if they're stealing brains in this way. I could see him as being afraid that he'll be so hungry for brains that he'll do the same thing Blaine and his crew did. Again, he doesn't know what we, or Liv and Ravi, know. He had to learn this second hand and on his own, and with countless people telling him how wrong he's been. And I appreciate the fact that we actually saw him become badass because the whole half of this season has been leading up to this moment. But honestly, that's how I see things and I respect that you see things differently. I just thought I'd offer an alternative perspective.

I do fully agree with Liv not shooting Blaine right in the head. Or, at the very least, shoot him in the kneecaps, like people have been suggesting! Don't make him run away and get those names outta him! He also must have the contacts somewhere! Search his phone! Search the store! Search his home! 

• Love 2

So I gave the show one entire season and I think I'm out. Neither the main arc, nor the cases of the week hold my interest. I mainly have kept watching for Ravi and Liv. After this episode though, I'm not that big of a fan of Liv. I tend to agree with those that think Liv stealing the cure, because she couldn't wait anymore was utterly selfish. I'll give her a pass on zombifying Major without thinking of his wishes, because of the time constraints and distress, though I am glad that he called her out on it. But then, to give him the last bit of (untested and potentially unsafe) cure without even consulting him right after that talk just made me want to smack her. Major maybe woefully underwritten and woodenly* acted, but the one thing I think we do know about him is that he is about the greater good. He would not want to take the cure if that meant that Ravi was hamstrung in his quest to help others and stop the zombie apocalypse.

*Strangely, zombie Major taking Liv to task for her selfishness was the most alive I've seen that actor. It was also the most that I've liked him.

• Love 1

I agree with Chicago Redshirt's entire post, about Liv not behaving in a particularly selfish manner (and also about the logistics of feeding a burgeoning zombie population). I think anyone who has been through everything she has been through this season--if the worst thing that person does is to use an infectious disease to save the life of someone who she feels responsible for his being fatally wounded, and then, when he is mad at her choice, she does her best to undo it--even if it is possibly at the expense of the future survival of humanity--well, whether you call it selfish or not, it's understandable and largely forgiveable.

However, I am also very annoyed that she let Blaine live *again* but I blame the show runners for that, because they cast someone in his role that they are never going to want to kill off. To be fair, they probably figured he'd have his own show by now and they really would have to kill him off, but they couldn't bear to to do it if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Suzuki wasn't just detroying evidence; he'd finally found his way out. A way to stop Blaine's operation completely and to deal with his guilty conscience. After being forced into corruption and covering up successive murders, he saw a way to take Blaine down and end his own suffering. I personally bought it.

I'm guessing Blaine's name in blood isn't going to be enough to clear Major. Major is the Charlie Brown of iZombie--except he does have "really good hair." Heh.