Type keyword(s) to search

Race & Ethnicity On TV

Message added by Meredith Quill,

This is the place to discuss race and ethnicity issues related to TV shows only.

Go here for the equivalent movie discussions.

For general discussion without TV/Film context please use the Social Justice topic in Everything Else. 

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Sigh. HBO is still committed to the show Confederate. The one by GOT producers Benioff and Weis about an alternate history where the South successfully secedes from the Union and slavery still exists. I hadn't heard anything about it in a while and hoped it had died. 

This is going to be a total shitshow.

There was a mocumentary in 2004, C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America. The difference being that it was written and directed by an African American, Kevin Wilmott. So it's not the premise, it's the predicted execution. Would the D&D version be better if they brought Wilmott or someone similar on board, or should the whole thing be cancelled before it starts?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Sigh. HBO is still committed to the show Confederate. The one by GOT producers Benioff and Weis about an alternate history where the South successfully secedes from the Union and slavery still exists. I hadn't heard anything about it in a while and hoped it had died. 

100% yes. With a different show runner it could’ve been a dystopian future, showing how citizens are fighting against slavery and oppression in this alternate reality and actually be social commentary but a gal can only dream. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

That sucks. I had assumed that it was died too since I hadn't heard anything about it in awhile. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, xaxat said:

You think it's bad now? Just wait until the show is on, and some (let's face it, handsome, white male) villain character starts gaining a following of the sort of fans who squee over bad guys, and then they start making excuses for him being a slave owner, and twisting themselves in knots to come up with reasons for him to be a hero, and for all the terrible things he does to be justifiable.

It's such a fucking lunatic move, to be even tiptoeing around the idea of glorification of the Confederacy, particularly in the current political climate.

• Love 21
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

You think it's bad now? Just wait until the show is on, and some (let's face it, handsome, white male) villain character starts gaining a following of the sort of fans who squee over bad guys, and then they start making excuses for him being a slave owner, and twisting themselves in knots to come up with reasons for him to be a hero, and for all the terrible things he does to be justifiable.

Ugh! As someone who saw what the glorification of villains did to "Once Upon a Time," I can see this all to well. Cue tragic backstory and "growth." Any not horrible thing they do pointed to as evidence they are actually "good," even though they never apologise or fully own their evil deeds. At worse, they would have one of the victimized groups "do something" to the villian (ala Regina and Snow) to "justify" their bad deeds towards that group.

The disappointing thing is , as mentioned above, this could be an interesting AU where you could explore the "what-ifs" of history, but it would need to be more dystopian and done carefully in order to avoid things like glorifying the Confederacy.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Ugh! As someone who saw what the glorification of villains did to "Once Upon a Time," I can see this all to well. Cue tragic backstory and "growth." Any not horrible thing they do pointed to as evidence they are actually "good," even though they never apologise or fully own their evil deeds. At worse, they would have one of the victimized groups "do something" to the villian (ala Regina and Snow) to "justify" their bad deeds towards that group.

Oh, God yes. I watched that show too and can't take anymore of the villain being a victim despite happily committing evil acts like village massacre and targeting a ten year old (despite it being clearly obvious that it was her mother's fault and not the ten year old) and hero's villainized for daring to kill a villain even if it was to save everyone.  

The disappointing thing is , as mentioned above, this could be an interesting AU where you could explore the "what-ifs" of history, but it would need to be more dystopian and done carefully in order to avoid things like glorifying the Confederacy.

It really could. There are so many places in history that have a what if? What if we didn't win the American Revolution? What if the French won in the French and Indian wars and we ended up French not British? Beyond the US. What if the Ottomans defeated the Austrians way back when and what would everything be like under their culture? Europe and Americas ending up Muslim instead of Christians? How would that have effect any of the problems that popped up in after the 1683? Would France still been plagued with problems that lead to the French Revolution? How would that of effected the colonizing of the Americas? The thirteen colonies were still very, very new at the time.  What would that have meant if anything for any science and discoveries? What if it was China instead? Or some place else? What would if Rome never fell? What if there hadn't been a Rome but some place that ended up growing in dominance? Or went the way of city-states of the Greeks. What if the Haitian Revolution had spread? There so many what ifs that would be better and more interesting then the Confederacy. Oh, what would happen if they hadn't lost? Well, they only technically lost since they still got to live the exact same lives. Nothing changed, they still got to keep their money, their laws, and blacks still ended up in the same spot as before. How about what life would be like if as of 1865 slavery was over, segaration didn't happen, and Blacks were given all of the freedom they were promised and see where the country would be if it really started then. Would most if not all racism be gone? Would we be further along developing cures and other things if all men and women regardless of color working on diseases, going to college, making discoveries, invention stuff and had been doing so for a hundred and thirty years.  What if instead of the Civil War, when the Constitution was created they give rights to slaves? What if they included women too as Abigail Adams hope and tried to convince her husband to include? 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I got a free one for Benioff and Weiss. Call the show Reparations. 

It's set in a world where a Radical Republican (who were really opposed to slavery) is elected president instead of Lincoln. They immediately appoint Grant (instead of McClellan, who was sympathetic to Confederate interests) as the top Union general. The war ends sooner with a decisive Union victory. The Radicals control the government. They don't pursue Lincoln/Johnson's relatively conciliatory plans for reconstruction and  continue to occupy the south in order to protect the freed slaves. They ensure a true commitment to property rights and land redistribution for former slaves. In addition they ensure voting rights for former slaves ( I think they were the majority of the population in South Carolina)  They federal government hunts down the Klan like the terrorists they were/are.  Actions in the South to enforce the rights of former slaves have an effect in the North and the Civil Rights Movement starts a century before it did in our world.

Screw that, it's not free. I want an executive producer credit.

I would totally watch that series. 

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

There are so many places in history that have a what if?

What if it was China instead?

I had two volumes of "What If" books, where historians pickes a moment in history (Waterloo, the Battle at Sanford Bridge, etc) an wrote what they thought would happen.  They were pretty good books, with lots of intriguing possibilities.

Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years of Rice and Salt posits that the Chinese "discovered" San Fransisco (and somewhere along the Mexican coast) and a West Coast Natives gets and survives smallpox, which leads to a large population immune to the disease.  These get merged into something along the lines of the Iroquois "League of Nations" and one of the four main world powers.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I would totally watch that series. 

Me too! That sounds great!

13 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

I had two volumes of "What If" books, where historians pickes a moment in history (Waterloo, the Battle at Sanford Bridge, etc) an wrote what they thought would happen.  They were pretty good books, with lots of intriguing possibilities.

Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years of Rice and Salt posits that the Chinese "discovered" San Fransisco (and somewhere along the Mexican coast) and a West Coast Natives gets and survives smallpox, which leads to a large population immune to the disease.  These get merged into something along the lines of the Iroquois "League of Nations" and one of the four main world powers.

I'll have to look up those books they sound great. I love the What If stories and wondering what would have happened if things turned out differently. Its fun to wonder.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3

The Hunt': Jordan Peele's '70s-Set Nazi-Hunting Drama Series To Star Jerrika Hinton And Tiffany Boone

986296486_TheHunt.jpg.336254add975df9efeea6ddb63fd4b37.jpg

The series is set to stream on Amazon and centers around a diverse band of " Nazi Hunters  living in 1977 New York City. The Hunters, as they’re known, have discovered that hundreds of high-ranking Nazi officials are living among us and conspiring to create a Fourth Reich in the US."

In addition to Hinton (who is credited as a lead) is also stars Al Pacino and Logan Lerman as leads.  Tiff Boone is credited as a co-star along with other regulars Saul Rubinek,  Louis Ozawa Changchien, Lena Olin, Greg Austin and Dylan Baker.

Sounds interesting and the cast looks great.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 15
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:13 PM, DearEvette said:

The Hunt': Jordan Peele's '70s-Set Nazi-Hunting Drama Series To Star Jerrika Hinton And Tiffany Boone

986296486_TheHunt.jpg.336254add975df9efeea6ddb63fd4b37.jpg

The series is set to stream on Amazon and centers around a diverse band of " Nazi Hunters  living in 1977 New York City. The Hunters, as they’re known, have discovered that hundreds of high-ranking Nazi officials are living among us and conspiring to create a Fourth Reich in the US."

In addition to Hinton (who is credited as a lead) is also stars Al Pacino and Logan Lerman as leads.  Tiff Boone is credited as a co-star along with other regulars Saul Rubinek,  Louis Ozawa Changchien, Lena Olin, Greg Austin and Dylan Baker.

Sounds interesting and the cast looks great.

That sounds great!

Here's a conversation you don't hear very often in the media. At the NBA All Star game, Shaquille O'Neal proclaimed himself the "Black Steph Curry". His fellow announcer Kenny Smith said "Steph Curry is black!!" Shaq's reply? "Steph Curry is light skin, I'm black."

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Here's a conversation you don't hear very often in the media. At the NBA All Star game, Shaquille O'Neal proclaimed himself the "Black Steph Curry". His fellow announcer Kenny Smith said "Steph Curry is black!!" Shaq's reply? "Steph Curry is light skin, I'm black."

I really hope he was trying to be funny.

• Love 4
On 2/16/2019 at 6:49 PM, xaxat said:

On 2/16/2019 at 7:28 PM, Trini said:

I really hope he was trying to be funny.

Does it matter?  Colorism is a serious issue, and while it can be treated with some humor (as black-ish managed to do), that's not the way.  It's the same BS Obama got for not being "black enough" while facing some of the vilest racism we've seen in this country.

• Love 12
On 2/10/2019 at 1:44 PM, xaxat said:

I got a free one for Benioff and Weiss. Call the show Reparations. 

It's set in a world where a Radical Republican (who were really opposed to slavery) is elected president instead of Lincoln. They immediately appoint Grant (instead of McClellan, who was sympathetic to Confederate interests) as the top Union general. The war ends sooner with a decisive Union victory. The Radicals control the government. They don't pursue Lincoln/Johnson's relatively conciliatory plans for reconstruction and  continue to occupy the south in order to protect the freed slaves. They ensure a true commitment to property rights and land redistribution for former slaves. In addition they ensure voting rights for former slaves ( I think they were the majority of the population in South Carolina)  They federal government hunts down the Klan like the terrorists they were/are.  Actions in the South to enforce the rights of former slaves have an effect in the North and the Civil Rights Movement starts a century before it did in our world.

Screw that, it's not free. I want an executive producer credit.

That sounds really good, especially if it involved President Thaddeus Stevens, although bonus points if Sherman is named top Union general.

If they have to do the Confederacy wins the Civil War timeline (the most common Alternate History scenario) they could at least put a fresh take on it, like a few years after the war there is a general slave rebellion and the Confederacy is toppled and breaks up into a series of black-led republics and the fallout from that.

There has been a glorification of the Confederacy (even if only subconsciously) nearly since the war ended and Confederate doesn't sound like it's going to buck that trend.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Lugal said:

If they have to do the Confederacy wins the Civil War timeline (the most common Alternate History scenario) they could at least put a fresh take on it, like a few years after the war there is a general slave rebellion and the Confederacy is toppled and breaks up into a series of black-led republics and the fallout from that.

There are several "steam-funk" novels and stories set in Freedonia, which is a single black-led republic that comprises much of the Confederacy.  Check Milton Davis in Amazon. 

• Love 3

Fox Casts Three Leads in ‘Patty’s Auto’ Pilot

Inspired by Patrice Banks’ Girls Auto Clinic, an auto repair shop with all female mechanics, the project centers on Patty, the intimidating owner of Patty’s Auto who will be played by “Straight Outta Compton” alumna Carra Patterson.

Patty makes it her mission to empower her female employees who include Jenna, to be played by “Schitt’s Creek” standout Sarah Levy, and Liza, who will be played by “Lethal Weapon” actress Paola Lázaro. The former is described as an insecure service technician in the throes of a divorce, while the latter is a service technician from Puerto Rico who works hard and parties harder.

Doug Davidson and Victoria Rowell remembered their friend and Y&R co-star Kristoff St. John on Steve Harvey's show the other day. Steve also shared his own memories of him, too--and a clip, originally scheduled for a future show, that may very well have been his final TV appearance before his death. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5

I just saw the trailer for Jordan Peel's new Twilight Zone update. Not only does it look like creepy good fun (as one would expect from Jordan Peele), it also features a very diverse cast. The majority of roles appear to be played by POC from a range of backgrounds, including Sanaa Lathan, Steven Yeun, John Cho, Tracy Jordan, and Kumail Nanjani. Further proof that it's important to have POC in positions of power in the entertainment industry (in this case, producing). 

• Love 23
15 hours ago, sweetcookieface said:

Further proof that it's important to have POC in positions of power in the entertainment industry

It's been interesting that since Trevor Noah took over at The Daily Show, four out of six of the regular correspondents are POC and the majority of guests are as well. The writing staff is much more diverse than it was under Stewart. 

Can everyone making hiring decisions please just shut it now with the "no women or minorities applied" bullshit?

Edited by 2727
  • Love 18
On 2/20/2019 at 8:58 PM, Dee said:

It's not the same. Not in the least.

There's a difference between being light skinned with two black parents and being half white. And experience racism doesnt change that. Biracial people experience racism but also have clear advantages over black people because of their white side regardless of skin tone. 

On 2/24/2019 at 4:24 AM, In2You said:

There's a difference between being light skinned with two black parents and being half white. And experience racism doesnt change that. Biracial people experience racism but also have clear advantages over black people because of their white side regardless of skin tone. 

Obviouisly, there's no way I can experience this, but I don't think many people know or care who a person's parents are before reacting to their race.  And I think that both types (as well as other light-skinned people, such as Latin@s or those from India or the Middle East) have advantages over darker people, regardless of their parentage.  But I haven't lived this, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

• Love 8
On 2/23/2019 at 5:33 PM, sweetcookieface said:

I just saw the trailer for Jordan Peel's new Twilight Zone update. Not only does it look like creepy good fun (as one would expect from Jordan Peele), it also features a very diverse cast.

I am so freaking excited for this! Jordan Peel is the perfect person to run/host The Twilight Zone, and it looks like it will also be a great place for lots of POC, both in front of and behind the camera, to get to do some great science fiction/fantasy stuff, in ways that will certainly be thought provoking and fun. I cannot wait!

And The Twilight Zone is the perfect place for smart satirical uses of speculative fiction to talk about social issues, as thats exactly what the original show did, and one of the big reasons its such a classic.

• Love 16
On 9/16/2018 at 3:21 PM, phoenics said:
On 9/16/2018 at 2:40 PM, Katsullivan said:

This might be a stretch to people who aren't black women but a very good example is how Prince Harry/The British Royalty stepped up and tackled all the racism and classism against Meghan Markle heads on with that announcement in the press. It was pretty much unprecedented and it ruffled feathers - but it also put the press on blast. And that's what you do when you establish a relationship (be it personal or professional) with a Black actress. 

It's highly irresponsible for Krypton/The Flash/etc to hire Black actresses as lead characters, and not tackle the backlash that comes with that heads on. Especially since they can't claim naivete. They know there'll be backlash - that's why they "warn" them off social media. But they seem to think that the backlash is, for example, Candice's problem. No, it's not her problem. She's an employee, doing her job by acting and promoting the show. It's your job as the showrunners since you cast her in your show to defend your casting decisions. To hit the racists hard and head-on. To call out the media who sideline her, and remind everyone who your lead is. To make sure that every single promotional material remembers who is the most important female character on the show. 

It's definitely not their job to make things harder for her by sidelining her in promotional material, or downgrading her in the writing. Like this is just Common Sense 101 that the onus of "defending" casting a Black actress should be on the people who actually made the decision to cast her - not the person who took the job. It's enough to make one tear their hair out. 

EXACTLY!  OMG you said that way better than I did!

I kinda want to tweet this out in one long diatribe to producers and showrunners so they stop leaving their black female leads out in the open like this, expecting them alone to deal with the madness.  Irresponsible is right.  

I'm not sure I ever saw your reply to this (been away for a while, still catching up) but if you want to tweet it, then please go ahead.

• Love 3

The showrunners don't care.

They're just hiring Black actresses as tokens.

Hence why nearly every show with a Black female lead/prominent character has a conveniently cast white female character who functions as the 'audience substitute.'

• Love 4

Jude Weng & Jessica Yu Land Milestone Directing Gigs In Strong Pilot Season For Director Diversity

In 2019, 13 directors of color (seven men, six women) are doing pilots, up from last year’s 11 (six men, five women) despite the overall number of pilots going down from 68 to 60. The total was split a little more balanced between drama and comedy this season (9-4 vs. 10-1 toward drama last year).

The list of people of color directing broadcast pilots this season includes George Tillman, Jr.(ABC’s Hank Steinberg), Anthony Hemingway (ABC’s NY Undercover), Jude Weng (ABC’s Jessica Gao), Victoria Mahoney (CBS’ Under the Bridge), Patricia Riggen (CBS’ Surveillance), Jessica Yu (NBC’s Bluff City Law), Sanaa Hamri (Unt. Tom Kapinos), Eva Longoria (the CW’s Glamorous), Victor Gonzalez (CBS’ Urman/Herschlag), Chris Rock (NBC’s Saving Kenan), Oz Rodriguez (NBC’s Unt Penn/Murray), Larry Teng (the CW’s Nancy Drew) and Marcos Siega (the CW’s Batwoman).

Diversity is going up, but based on that article it seems that both women and people of color are still underrepresented compared to the total population of the US.

• Useful 8
  • Love 1
(edited)

One thing that Iris in The Flash tv show (and movie), Lyta Zod in Krypton, Koriand'r in Titans, and now Black Canary in the Birds of Prey movie is that they are all DC properties. DC made the decision to cast Black women in these prominent roles. IMO, DC is the entity that has not stepped up to protect these women, their employees, from racist and often misogynistic online abuse and bullying and it has the resources to do so. DC engages in "diversity" without social responsibility. They easily could tell these racist trolls to fuck off, but it chooses to stay silent so it can keep on selling comic books, movies, tv shows, etc. to these losers. Don't forget DC is where a lot those sexual predators and reputed racists thrived for years before the #MeToo Movement forced it to take action. It hasn't covered itself in glory when to comes to the treatment of women regardless of their ethnicity.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8
On 2/25/2019 at 9:34 AM, jhlipton said:

Obviouisly, there's no way I can experience this, but I don't think many people know or care who a person's parents are before reacting to their race.  And I think that both types (as well as other light-skinned people, such as Latin@s or those from India or the Middle East) have advantages over darker people, regardless of their parentage.  But I haven't lived this, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

I perhaps understand where @In2You is coming from? Please expand if I’m wrong, but I think that if a biracial person with one white parent, and that white Parent is active and involved in their lives, they have access to white spaces and white privledge in a way a light skinned person with two parents that are POC does not have. Like the trope of sending the white parent/family member to handle things when dealing with potential racism or bias?

Regarding depictions of race on tv, it does get aggravating to see biracial characters be the only characters of color in a particular program- it’s like the show runners are saying that only someone with at least 1 white Parent is worthy of a voice. 

Its Friday night and I’ve worked all day so I hope I’m making sense. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think that if a biracial person with one white parent, and that white Parent is active and involved in their lives, they have access to white spaces and white privledge in a way a light skinned person with two parents that are POC does not have. Like the trope of sending the white parent/family member to handle things when dealing with potential racism or bias?

That makes a lot of sense, and I hadn't thought of it.  Thanks.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Please expand if I’m wrong, but I think that if a biracial person with one white parent, and that white Parent is active and involved in their lives, they have access to white spaces and white privledge in a way a light skinned person with two parents that are POC does not have. Like the trope of sending the white parent/family member to handle things when dealing with potential racism or bias?

That’s making quite a lot of assumptions based merely on knowing someone has one white biological parent.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 3/1/2019 at 8:32 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I perhaps understand where @In2You is coming from? Please expand if I’m wrong, but I think that if a biracial person with one white parent, and that white Parent is active and involved in their lives, they have access to white spaces and white privledge in a way a light skinned person with two parents that are POC does not have. Like the trope of sending the white parent/family member to handle things when dealing with potential racism or bias?

I dunno.  That doesn't sound like it gives the biracial person the privilege and access if they can't handle issues without calling in the white parent.  That just sounds like putting the white parent in the space of white saviour.

Also if you read interviews of people like Kidada Jones or Halle Berry speaking about some of the issues they had growing up biracial it doesn't bear out either. 

For instance, Kidada and her sister Rashida both went to the same school as kids had the same famous parents, yet Rashida's experience was easier because she looked whiter (paler skin, silky hair) than Kidada did (dark curly hair, darker skin) and who had a really hard time.  In this case the presence of a white parent had very little to do with how they were treated but the skin color and phenotype did. 

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I dunno.  That doesn't sound like it gives the biracial person the privilege and access if they can't handle issues without calling in the white parent.  That just sounds like putting the white parent in the space of white saviour.

Also if you read interviews of people like Kidada Jones or Halle Berry speaking about some of the issues they had growing up biracial it doesn't bear out either. 

For instance, Kidada and her sister Rashida both went to the same school as kids had the same famous parents, yet Rashida's experience was easier because she looked whiter (paler skin, silky hair) than Kidada did (dark curly hair, darker skin) and who had a really hard time.  In this case the presence of a white parent had very little to do with how they were treated but the skin color and phenotype did. 

I don’t disagree with you, I was just trying to think through where the other poster was coming from regarding colorism vs being biracial. (Not that the two are mutually exclusive)

23 hours ago, biakbiak said:

That’s making quite a lot of assumptions based merely on knowing someone has one white biological parent.

Yes it is, I was just thinking through the scenario. 

(edited)

I would love to see a reboot of a gory horror show called Friday the 13th the series with POC as the leads, written and produced by Jordan Peele.  Friday the 13th the series had nothing to do with Jason Myers. It was about Mickey, Jack and Ryan trying to get back cursed objects that were cursed by the devil that were sold by a man named Louis who had died leaving the store to Mickey and Ryan who  sold more of those objects, not knowing the evil that they were helping to unleash in the world. Jack was a friend of Louis and decided to help them retrieve those magical objects. So, they decided to get back those objects risking their lives while they learned to love and depend on each other as an unconventional family. It was a really great show that was cancelled after it's third season. It was really scary, gory and avant-garde for it's time. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

I would love to see a reboot of a gory horror show called Friday the 13th the series with POC as the leads, written and produced by Jordan Peele.  Friday the 13th the series had nothing to do with Jason Myers. It was about Mickey, Jack and Ryan trying to get back cursed objects that were cursed by the devil that were sold by a man named Louis who had died leaving the store to Mickey and Ryan who  sold more of those objects, not knowing the evil that they were helping to unleash in the world. Jack was a friend of Louis and decided to help them retrieve those magical objects. So, they decided to get back those objects risking their lives while they learned to love and depend on each other as an unconventional family. It was a really great show that was cancelled after it's third season. It was really scary, gory and avant-garde for it's time. 

I loved this show. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I loved this show. 

I always wanted Ryan and Mickey to get together.. They were my first ship and the show was never the same after Ryan left and it is probably why season 3 was so uneven and the ratings fell leading to it's cancellation.  As a kid in it's original run, I had no understanding of why the show was cancelled..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I always wanted Ryan and Mickey to get together.. They were my first ship and the show was never the same after Ryan left and it is probably why season 3 was so uneven and the ratings fell leading to it's cancellation. 

I definitely shipped Ryan and Mickey. I hated how they wrote him out by de-aging him into a boy. I had no clue what happened behind the scenes. Was the actor fired? Did he quit? Losing him hurt the show.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I definitely shipped Ryan and Mickey. I hated how they wrote him out by de-aging him into a boy. I had no clue what happened behind the scenes. Was the actor fired? Did he quit? Losing him hurt the show.

I think that he wanted out and the show wrote him out in a way that he could come back.. I thought the chemistry between the three was exceptional... The creator had lots of plans for them and it got derailed with the actor leaving.

I could only imagine what Jordan Peele could do with a reboot. He could always have the two actors come back to introduce the new characters.  Sadly, the actor that played Jack passed away..

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I also loved that show, kind of a horror predecessor to Warehouse 13, although I don't remember it being particularly gory (or at least not more than early 90's syndicated TV would allow).  A few years back, Syfy reran the episodes and they still held up.

13 hours ago, SimoneS said:

It's been a while since I read anything, but I think there was some tension behind the scenes, like he didn't like some of the direction his character was going or something.

• Love 1

I think I remember an episode I happened to watch of that Friday the 13th series. I don't think I watched any other ones. The episode I saw was about antique radio that seemed cursed and did crazy stuff to people inside an insane asylum.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I think I remember an episode I happened to watch of that Friday the 13th series. I don't think I watched any other ones. The episode I saw was about antique radio that seemed cursed and did crazy stuff to people inside an insane asylum.

It was a doctor that had the antique radio that allowed her to cure people with mental illnesses, but, the flip side was that she would kill other patients with it. She wanted to become a famous doctor and the radio would grant her that with a price.

5 hours ago, Dejana said:

This made me think of a soap actress who was getting criticized for using a wig.  She said the soap she was on had a hairstylist who didn’t know how to do black hair and so the actress was on her own for styling.  Stuff like that shouldn’t happen and if you’re going to be a hairstylist in Hollywood you should be highly skilled in all types of hair.  There can also be issues with makeup artists who cannot handle darker skin tones.  

• Love 15