Type keyword(s) to search

The Kelly File: Duggar Interview 2015.06.03

Has there been a definitive answer as to whether the release of the police report was legal? If they don't sue, I guess we'll know it was.

It's not going to be determined definitively unless someone gets taken to court about it - if a court of law has the issue presented to them, and rules one way or the other, that would be definitive (and could be appealed and yadda yadda but still). The city attorney says it was legal, and so do legal pundits we've seen on TV, and some of our posters have posted some pretty well-researched notes saying the same, but it's still all just well-informed legal opinions.

3.1 million?! Yikes. These phoneys will get to keep their show. Hooray, except not.

TLC can't be dumb enough to think that all the people who tuned in were supporters, can they?

I feel like delusion is right in the Duggar/TLC wheelhouse.

• Love 1

TLC can't be dumb enough to think that all the people who tuned in were supporters, can they?

Ratings are ratings. Feelings don't matter.

I do hope TLC realizes it'll be torches-and-pitchforks time if the seriously try to rehab the Duggars.

• Love 4
(edited)

You don't have to be supporters for the networks to make money off the ad sales.

TLC kept the Duck Dynasty homophobes, they'll keep the majority of the Duggars (so long Josh, Anna and the M-children) because they make money off of them. They dropped Honey Boo Boo -- not because of the story but because it was a failing brand and it was their opportunity to do so.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 2

1000xx agreed

No sound

I have a feeling tlc is bringing them back

I doubt very much that TLC will renew the Duggars again because although the FOX logged in the single largest audience of the year with this interview, consider the reasons why.

"The Nielsen company said Kelly's show on Wednesday doubled its typical audience among younger viewers. Her nightly show averages 2.2 million viewers."

As you can see, the audience doubled among younger viewers which tells me that younger people who ordinarily pass right by the Duggars on TV were interested in what was going on because of all the publicity Josh Duggar has gotten this past week. I don't think that TLC would dare consider that to be anything but a negative sign that the Duggar's are just too much of a controversial commodity to risk messing with them anymore. I know they've been sitting there quietly waiting for these interviews and carefully analyzing the comments and responses from people. For the most part, they have been very negative and I don't think it would be smart of TLC to continue with the Duggar's.

Parts of the interview that were not shown are on right now on the Kelley File.

Oh good…more Jim Bob & Michelle is so what we need! <sarcasm>

I'd say no live commentary please, but I'm guessing it ends in 5 minutes so we don't have time to do much.  If someone has a recap, that would be great.

• Love 2
(edited)

If you're watching that Kelley show, can you share quotes with us?

I'd watch but I've got Game Of Thrones on. A show where the incest and rape is fake.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 7

3.1 million?! Yikes. These phoneys will get to keep their show. Hooray, except not.

I don't think so. 3 million people now realize what these two dumbasses are really about, if they didn't know already, and want them gone. The other 100,000 would defend the Duggars even if they were serial killers.

• Love 6

The font just got really, really small here. Did that happen to anybody else? How do I change it, it's so tiny it's hard to read? HELP!

Is 3 million a lot of for megyn Kelly's show?  What are her usual numbers?  

Thanks to debbie311 and maggiemae, I switched over to Megyn Kelly in time to see the clip of Jim Bob and his "parents are not mandatory reporters" again, and he goes on to say that "The law allows parents to be parents and do what they think is right for their kids." 

But, you know...that's not true.  If it were, there would be sharply lower numbers of juvie arrests, AND, parents wouldn't be arrested for taking their ill children to Mexico or South America for medical treatments denied by law to them here (certain cancer treatments, for example).  Under Jim Bob's philosophy, parents just have to swaddle their errant kids in the home, and the police be damned!

• Love 4

Oh boy. A local city judge is siding with the Duggars about the police reports being leaked illegally. I am sure they will take that ball and run with it, just so they can continue to demonize the media while they say a big old "I told you so."

Hey, Jim Boob and J-Chelle, I have some crisis PR management advice for you. I'm as qualified as anyone else that watches Scandal to make this pronouncement.

STFU. Seriously. You threw your four daughters under the bus on national television. You informed millions of viewers that they're not worth protecting and you won't discuss how the molestation affected them. There will never be enough money for the therapy they're going to need when they figure out that they were nothing more to you than forced labor and a meal ticket. You did whatever you had to do to save your Golden Boy. You are a contemptible, detestable waste of human skin, and there is NO walking back from this debacle. If there is such a thing as Hell, I hope you burn in it for forcing your two molestation-survivor daughters onto (again) national TV to preserve the family income!

Missy Vixen - I simply couldn't agree with your words more - brilliantly put ! Especially the part about the under-the-bus treatment of the victim/daughters in favor of the "Golden Boy". How in the holy hell does a boy/young man of 14-15 (NOT a "child", you hypocritical revisionists !) do what he did and then not step up to address the issue when he is TWENTY-SEVEN YEARS OLD !!! Getting called to account for your past (and it's not like you were five or six, BTW) and you choose to hide behind your mama's skirts and daddy's "Headship" like you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar ?!

On second thought, the cookie jar analogy is both terrible, distasteful, and terrifyingly appropriate. My apologies for that, but NOTHING about any of this had been appropriate - from Josh's condemnation of the various "sinners" and "deviants" through his job at the FRC, to Michelle and JB's bizarre apologist stance for their first born who was a predator. Repeatedly. Multiple victims. A time-span of two-plus years. And you learned NOTHING from his inexcusable behavior other than to cancel playing hide and seek ?! Seriously.... ?

You put bizarro-world, Gothard Band-Aids on REAL WORLD wounds. You forced your daughters to forgive their brother while he unrepentantly continued his creepy predation THREE MORE TIMES, or so he "confessed", and then painted on big ole' happy smiles when the TLC gravy train stopped at the station. You sold your daughters' safety and dignity for the sake of the Almighty. Buck, that is...

For a couple SO concerned with preserving the modesty and purity of their daughters you failed so miserably at protecting them in their very own home. I cringe to think how many times they've had to be around him and "keep it sweet".  "Safeguards", my ass ! You were too busy trying to shag out your next "blessing" to notice that the ones you already had were suffering. For shame, you un-Christian Christians ! I'm a Christian, too, essentially (It's complicated) and I'm FURIOUS with you using the Bible to defend yourselves and Josh. I'm genuinely surprised you didn't pull out Biblical scripture regarding incest (Like where did Noah's descendants come from, Skippy ?) and it that "okay" under some circumstances. Most Christians, I assume, are as disgusted as I am. This is NOT what Jesus is about...

All of a sudden the "modest" clothing makes more and more sense. They weren't afraid of "defrauding" anyone except their very own brother. What a sad, sad, sick state of affairs. Apparently the long, long denim skirts, Prairie dresses with the Pilgrim collars, and double-triple shirts aren't the key to being safe from Josh. Is that why those protections were put in place ? Not the big-bad-world but your very own son. Yes... ?

Where there's a will there's a way, and I'm assuming Josh had both the will AND the way. to continue his crimes. Way to go, Michelle and JB - you enabled a monster, sheltered him, and tried to "pray it all away". You failed to protect your daughters - that's a FACT. Multiple times. Four (!) out of five daughters, plus the unnamed babysitter. How many would be enough for you to react like human beings and not Gothard robots ? Huh ? Do I hear crickets ? Or maybe the sound of Michelle's buggy Gothard eyes popping out of her head ? I suspect, if it happened, it would sound like Jiffy-Pop popcorn. Pop, pop, pop, but, predictably, no actual tears. She only cries for herself and JB.

I can't do anything to you but rail, snark, and complain, you monsters, but I'm fairly certain there will be someone else to answer to. Whether it's the God you invoke so often or more worldly entities, you deserve whatever you get. 

Suffer. Burn. Repent. It's what we've been hearing from you for a DECADE. Own your words, for Heaven's sake. 

And for the girls, the victims, the survivors, I have this. Certainly too little but the most I can offer in an anonymous,   Internet world. It's a very small part of Max Ehrmann's Desiderata, a poem I've turned to many, many times, and I hope (though I doubt they read this site...) that it reaches them and provides some small comfort...

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

• Love 11

Ugh!  The debate over whether it was legal for the records to be made public or not goes on!  WHO CARES!  The fact is, there was incest and molestation in the family and it is out now!  The parents did not handle it well at the time!  As someone said upthread, you cannot put toothpaste back in the tube.  I for one can never look at that family the same way.

I hope they saved some of that money from the show, because the party is OVER.

• Love 6
  • If molestation - sorry, "improper touching" - occurs while sleeping, it doesn't count.
  • "Over the clothes" is a mitigating circumstance
  • The first two times don't count if you really really mean that you are sorry
  • The lesbian agenda is real

I think you forgot one:

• Under the clothes is no big deal as long as it's "just a few seconds."  (I think this one also falls under your "doesn't count" bullet). Sick.
  • Love 8

I'm reading the transcript.

I can't believe Boob said "breast"! I'm amazed he didn't say "chest" or "upper torso." I wouldn't have thought he could even say "bosom."

Thankfully I don't remember the part where he said breast.  I think my brain is blocking it.  However, when he talked about Joshie reaching over the sofa and molesting the two girls, he was doing hand movements that really creeped me out. 

• Love 4

Here is the link to see Dr. Keith Ablow's reaction to the interview on Fox.  He's damn good here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjUkgTGcF7M

Thanks for sharing this. I've heard him be good and heard him say things that really seemed to betray his training (and obvious brains) utterly, so I wondered. Glad to say that in this case he was great. He could barely conceal his horror -- and rightly so. And he even got in a good line about -- Some people (who were not completely self-absorbed) would worry that with that many kids they couldn't pay adequate attention -- and, hey, look what happened here. .... Good for him.

I've read some other people mentioning, as he suggested, that one of the scariest things about this is that, after having this issue in the family for 13 years or so, and after supposedly talking about it with at least some counselors and with other families, the Duggars as a group are apparently still utterly clueless about the whole issue. Scary.

• Love 4

I think that putting the loss of money aside, the Duggar's are absolutely stunned by the public outrage and outcries for the cancellation of their show. These are people who have felt absolutely venerated, admired and loved by many people who have followed them since the inception of the show in 2008. They're accustomed to people smiling and falling all over them. The attention is negative now, and contrary to the saying "There is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is NOT being talked about.", the Duggar's are now feeling disdain and disrespect and this is truly rocking the fantasy world. Adoration, attention and respect are all things they've lived for. The negative attention is far worse to them than losing money from the show. They realize they've lost respect, and isn't that what the Duggar's wanted the very most to be known for all these years?

• Love 10

I would think the advertisers are a little skeered. .... Or at least I hope the advertisers are a little skeered.

And lots of people tune in to watch a scandal who wouldn't tune in to watch a show about kids walking on counters. Tell me that's right. Please.

• Love 6

I think they were likely keeping it no matter what. TLC and People make too much coin from them. And I also feel like outside of some surprising defectors, like that charlatan Huckabee, those who defend and love them still do so, so not much has changed. The whole thing is being presented in the scope of liberal America-hating hippies vs. good Christian virtuous martyrs, with the horror of their behavior and their lives completely swept under the rug. 

The sad part is if you asked a lot of people who is the biggest victim in this - the five girls who were abused and likely shamed for their abuse, or the abuser and his enabling parents, they'd say the latter, every time.

• Love 1

I didn't watch, and only read recaps on-line, so I may have misunderstood, but there was a section where J'chelle says something like "The girls were really young then, and they were sleeping. They may not have known or understood what happened." That's been kind of percolating in y head all day, because I keep wondering <<What did they say when you TALKED WITH THEM about it?>>

And, of course, the answer is that they didn't. They did the best they could to cover it up, and they never spoke of it again.

• Love 3

OK, enough. None of us get to make the determination on legality of the release of the police report. Courts can do that, if anyone asks them to. Please stop arguing about whether the release is legal or not.  You can talk about the Duggars and pundits talking about it, but any opinions stated as facts, or argumentative posts about it, will be hidden.

• Love 2

You don't have to be supporters for the networks to make money off the ad sales.

TLC kept the Duck Dynasty homophobes, they'll keep the majority of the Duggars (so long Josh, Anna and the M-children) because they make money off of them. They dropped Honey Boo Boo -- not because of the story but because it was a failing brand and it was their opportunity to do so.

Wasn't that A&E that shows the duck dy nasty people. Another worthless stupid show with idiots. I can't imagine bringing the show back, every episode would be you're a child molester or you protected a child molester.

• Love 2

I didn't watch, and only read recaps on-line, so I may have misunderstood, but there was a section where J'chelle says something like "The girls were really young then, and they were sleeping. They may not have known or understood what happened." That's been kind of percolating in y head all day, because I keep wondering <<What did they say when you TALKED WITH THEM about it?>>

And, of course, the answer is that they didn't. They did the best they could to cover it up, and they never spoke of it again.

I wish J'chelle took a psychology class. Our bodies can remember things that sometimes our minds cant. Our brains can store things that can come out later (regression) just because she thinks her daughters doesn't remember doesn't mean they dont.

• Love 3

<p>

I think you forgot one:

• Under the clothes is no big deal as long as it's "just a few seconds." (I think this one also falls under your "doesn't count" bullet). Sick.

I'm truly thinking that either JB has a serious mental problem or there's something else going on for him to think like that. He's very sick

• Love 5
TLC kept the Duck Dynasty homophobes, they'll keep the majority of the Duggars

Wasn't that A&E that shows the duck dy nasty people.

Yeah. Duck Dynasty isn't TLC. It's A&E. Easy to confuse. They both show similar programming. A&E does show reruns of Criminal Minds and 48 Hours mixed in with their reality and scripted reality shows.  TLC is pretty much all original programming. But they cater to the same type of fan, 

this thread is going  really fast, so I don't know if this was posted. But here is a new excerpt from Jessa and Jill's interview, besides the one shown at the end of the first interview. Jessa basically defends Josh, straight up.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/06/04/megyn-kelly-interviews-duggar-sisters-jessa-and-jill-molestation-scandal

It's toward the end of the page. So, I guess there is not doubt what that interview is gonna be like.

Yeah. Duck Dynasty isn't TLC. It's A&E. Easy to confuse. They both show similar programming. A&E does show reruns of Criminal Minds and 48 Hours mixed in with their reality and scripted reality shows.  TLC is pretty much all original programming. But they cater to the same type of fan,

Jim Bob and Michelle could be on Criminal Minds. The smooth-talking, misogynist abuse apologist with the shellacked helmet hair and his totally submissive, creepy-voiced, pathologically immature helpmeet? I'm surprised they haven't been featured in an episode already. At least then it would be fiction.

• Love 2

CNN led it's 9pm news show with "Duggar family goes on the offensive". I didn't watch because I hate these people but I thought you guys would like to know.

Also, could one of the mods please correct the title of this thread to show a standard North American date usage of month/day/year? It's driving me crazy. (Or did I miss a memo?)

I wish J'chelle took a psychology class. Our bodies can remember things that sometimes our minds cant. Our brains can store things that can come out later (regression) just because she thinks her daughters doesn't remember doesn't mean they dont.

Smells will trigger things that we don't consciously remember.  For example, if Josh was breathing heavy (gross) and smelled like Crest toothpaste, the smell of Crest will be repulsive to them later in life and they won't know why.  Science has a long way to go before repressed memories are fully understood. 

• Love 7

I would have more respect, perhaps, for Dr. Glass' comments if she had used a less sensational tone, proper grammar, and correct spelling -- including the correct spelling of Kelly's name.

• Love 18
(edited)

Good article. Here is a good shot of the script:

screen-shot-2015-06-04-at-11-33-27-am.pn

I agreed with nearly all of the article written by Dr. Lillian Glass but there are a couple of things she published in that article that I just can't agree with entirely. First of all the non-tear crying of Michelle. She said: "She dabbed at her eyes with a tissue yet there was no sign of any tears".  I have seen this firsthand in a few people and it confused me at the time. But this doesn't necessarily mean that Michelle was faking her crying. According to an article published in 2007 in the journal Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, severe cases of depression flatten emotions, leaving a person without the trigger that starts the crying circuit. Max Hamilton, who created a depression scale in 1960, commented in a 1967 paper that severely depressed patients “go beyond weeping” and settle into a cry-proof state. The inability to cry may be caused by a rare affliction called Familial Dysautonomia (FD), or Riley-Day Syndrome. While someone with FD experiences emotions like anyone else, they’re born without the reflex necessary to produce tears: crying becomes a dry display.

My last difference of opinion I had was that Dr. Lillian Glass called Josh Duggar a 'pedophile'. She said "If Josh did this as was revealed in the media he was and may still be a pedophile.  Pedophiles usually don’t change their behavior unless they are given hormone treatment or castrated." I don't agree with her at all. A pedophile is someone who has sexual urges toward under-aged children. This may be expressed in collection of child porn. A child molester does something physical to a child. Molesting is basically touching the victim in wrongful manner. It is basically sexual harassment law for children who are not mobile. All Pedophiles are child molesters, but very few child molesters are Pedophiles.

What Josh Duggar did was most certainly an egregious act, but labeling him as a pedophile isn't correct or fair.

For anyone who wishes to read this article, here's the link that another person posted earlier.

https://drlilliangla...g.wordpress.com

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 5

Missy Vixen - I simply couldn't agree with your words more - brilliantly put ! Especially the part about the under-the-bus treatment of the victim/daughters in favor of the "Golden Boy". How in the holy hell does a boy/young man of 14-15 (NOT a "child", you hypocritical revisionists !) do what he did and then not step up to address the issue when he is TWENTY-SEVEN YEARS OLD !!! Getting called to account for your past (and it's not like you were five or six, BTW) and you choose to hide behind your mama's skirts and daddy's "Headship" like you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar ?!

On second thought, the cookie jar analogy is both terrible, distasteful, and terrifyingly appropriate. My apologies for that, but NOTHING about any of this had been appropriate - from Josh's condemnation of the various "sinners" and "deviants" through his job at the FRC, to Michelle and JB's bizarre apologist stance for their first born who was a predator. Repeatedly. Multiple victims. A time-span of two-plus years. And you learned NOTHING from his inexcusable behavior other than to cancel playing hide and seek ?! Seriously.... ?

You put bizarro-world, Gothard Band-Aids on REAL WORLD wounds. You forced your daughters to forgive their brother while he unrepentantly continued his creepy predation THREE MORE TIMES, or so he "confessed", and then painted on big ole' happy smiles when the TLC gravy train stopped at the station. You sold your daughters' safety and dignity for the sake of the Almighty. Buck, that is...

For a couple SO concerned with preserving the modesty and purity of their daughters you failed so miserably at protecting them in their very own home. I cringe to think how many times they've had to be around him and "keep it sweet".  "Safeguards", my ass ! You were too busy trying to shag out your next "blessing" to notice that the ones you already had were suffering. For shame, you un-Christian Christians ! I'm a Christian, too, essentially (It's complicated) and I'm FURIOUS with you using the Bible to defend yourselves and Josh. I'm genuinely surprised you didn't pull out Biblical scripture regarding incest (Like where did Noah's descendants come from, Skippy ?) and it that "okay" under some circumstances. Most Christians, I assume, are as disgusted as I am. This is NOT what Jesus is about...

All of a sudden the "modest" clothing makes more and more sense. They weren't afraid of "defrauding" anyone except their very own brother. What a sad, sad, sick state of affairs. Apparently the long, long denim skirts, Prairie dresses with the Pilgrim collars, and double-triple shirts aren't the key to being safe from Josh. Is that why those protections were put in place ? Not the big-bad-world but your very own son. Yes... ?

Where there's a will there's a way, and I'm assuming Josh had both the will AND the way. to continue his crimes. Way to go, Michelle and JB - you enabled a monster, sheltered him, and tried to "pray it all away". You failed to protect your daughters - that's a FACT. Multiple times. Four (!) out of five daughters, plus the unnamed babysitter. How many would be enough for you to react like human beings and not Gothard robots ? Huh ? Do I hear crickets ? Or maybe the sound of Michelle's buggy Gothard eyes popping out of her head ? I suspect, if it happened, it would sound like Jiffy-Pop popcorn. Pop, pop, pop, but, predictably, no actual tears. She only cries for herself and JB.

I can't do anything to you but rail, snark, and complain, you monsters, but I'm fairly certain there will be someone else to answer to. Whether it's the God you invoke so often or more worldly entities, you deserve whatever you get. 

Suffer. Burn. Repent. It's what we've been hearing from you for a DECADE. Own your words, for Heaven's sake. 

And for the girls, the victims, the survivors, I have this. Certainly too little but the most I can offer in an anonymous,   Internet world. It's a very small part of Max Ehrmann's Desiderata, a poem I've turned to many, many times, and I hope (though I doubt they read this site...) that it reaches them and provides some small comfort...

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

Yes yes YES!!! I find it abhorrent that JB & Michelle were more than willing to drag the victims out in the public before ol' Joshie....seriously....how can people look at that defend it? re-victimizing the victims? that falls squarely on the parents while they protect their precious one with a tender heart

• Love 3
(edited)

Wow  - the body language article was powerful.

I recall Michelle saying Josh with one palm up and "the others" (meaning the girls) with her other palm up.

Josh certainly is the golden first born and son in their family and they raised their daughters to tend to all their sons [snip]

Edited by Rhondinella
suggesting parents were complicit beforehand
  • Love 1
(edited)
Jim Bob and Michelle could be on Criminal Minds. The smooth-talking, misogynist abuse apologist with the shellacked helmet hair and his totally submissive, creepy-voiced, pathologically immature helpmeet? I'm surprised they haven't been featured in an episode already. At least then it would be fiction.

They're more up Dick Wolf's alley. I can't wait for the first Law and Order SVU "ripped from the headlines" promo to be shown on NBC. Question is, aren't NBC Universal and TLC connected somehow? (which would explain the Today Show always getting the first scoop on "special announcements")  Will they risk further trashing of the brand? 

I loved the body language blog, but the woman needs a proof reader and an edit function. The grammatical errors and misspellings make it lose credibility a bit. I mean, shit...doesn't she look for squiggly lines under errors before hitting publish? She spelled Megyn's name a couple different ways (neither correctly), she spelled Duggar, "Dugar," a couple times, and when talking about MEE-chelle, said "he" instead of "her" several times, which made it a little confusing as to whether she was referring to JB or Mullet when making a point.

And....she used "Jim Bob" and "genitals" in the same sentence. No. Just NO. No one needs that image dancing in their head. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 10

If you're watching that Kelley show, can you share quotes with us?

I'd watch but I've got Game Of Thrones on. A show where the incest and rape is fake.

It re-airs at midnight Eastern Time