Type keyword(s) to search

The Kelly File: Duggar Interview 2015.06.03

I can't speak for other parents, but I've certainly had moments where I felt that I'd failed as a parent. I have two high-achieving, well-adjusted daughters in college so I guess we get a passing grade overall, but I think a lot of parents have those moments.

This. I had a - I think problematic is a diplomatic word - family of origin, and I was going to be a perfect parent. Or, you know, as it turns out, really, really not.

That, I think, was perfectly normal. What seems extreme to me is the lengths they were willing to go to keep anyone from finding out about it, as though it was people knowing they failed which was the failure and not failing. The girls deserved better than that.

• Love 2

You;'re probably right that they really were that ignorant.

By the same token, they were adults signing up -- quite consciously -- to pursue their "mission" of becoming a visible ideal of morality, faith and godly family life for the nation. So logic (if they had any) would tell them that this would necessarily entail a heck of a lot of public visibility.

Plus, they did it some years after JimBob had already purposed to become a member of the U.S. Senate another role that necessitates high public visibility. 

If two adults with aspirations that high don't know enough to do their due diligence and really examine the potential consequences, good and bad, of putting themselves into the spotlight in either of those ways, then I have no sympathy with them whatsoever. Be they television watchers, or not.

Their home fooling is far superior to regular schools - so they should have known.  

• Love 2
(edited)

What pisses me off is how upset they are over having failed Josh, when they barely seem to understand that they had any duty to the daughters at all, never mind failing in that duty.

Agreed. Anytime Megyn tried to shift the focus to the girls JB or M would just start in about poor Josh all over again. It's insane how concerned they are about Josh's image and feelings, only to completely ignore their 4 oldest daughters and how the molestation affected them. The only thing we heard about their daughters is that the girls forgave him. Which maybe by now they have, but I am guessing they probably didn't at the time. More than likely they were guilted into submission. Or worse. And of course, they have to maintain the vibe of "keeping sweet". Not forgiving probably wasn't even an option. 

My family isn't religious at all, but I know when Dad told me to do something I better do it or there would be consequences. I imagine in the Duggar house it is the same way because men are superior; Dad's law rules [my dad was just an asshole]. We've already heard reports of them using a rod for punishment, and the scary-ass blanket training. Not to mention they never say they raise or educate their kids, but they train them. Like they are circus performers.

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 6
How about mentioning the youngest ages of your daughters when they were molested?  She was barely....?  She had just turned...?

I'm glad that didn't happen. It sucks that some of these girls are being paraded about, but in the interest of privacy for those who are not, let the girls who remain off screen have their continued anonymity.

• Love 4

I'm glad that didn't happen. It sucks that some of these girls are being paraded about, but in the interest of privacy for those who are not, let the girls who remain off screen have their continued anonymity.

That was my sarcasm at its finest.  I just meant that Boob did his best to talk about Joshie's age and at the same time, to me, it downplayed that the victims were extremely young.  

• Love 4

I can't speak for other parents, but I've certainly had moments where I felt that I'd failed as a parent. I have two high-achieving, well-adjusted daughters in college so I guess we get a passing grade overall, but I think a lot of parents have those moments.

I know I have also had moments where I have felt like a failure. I think some of it is because parenting is now judged so harshly by complete random strangers. Your barely verbal child is having a typical child temper tantrum? You are a terrible parent. Your kids are fidgety and talk loud? You have failed as a parent.

That being said, they did a horrible job with their daughters. I understand wanting to try to handle it, but that is not something most people are equipped to handle.  That really bothers me that they only talked about Josh. The sisters have moved on, and I'm glad they have found happiness with their husbands and I'm sorry they are having to relive it. But only talking about Josh just shows how skewed they treat their children.

• Love 14

That was my sarcasm at its finest.  I just meant that Boob did his best to talk about Joshie's age and at the same time, to me, it downplayed that the victims were extremely young.  

Ah, okay. Gotcha. There needs to be a sarcasm font here.

• Love 2

I think that when Jim Bob says that they are adults at the age of 13, it means they are old enough to expect a lot of work out of them.  At 13 the emphasis probably moves from arithmetic and Bible memorization to working for the Jim Bob empire.  That's about the age the FLDS send their boys to work.

The worst thing I heard last night is that the Duggars know lots of families with similar problems.  I wish there was a way to investigate cults like this.  There's obviously something that is very dysfunctional here. 

• Love 6

At the end Kelly reassures us, in an almost commanding voice: "What are the odds someone like Josh Duggar will offend again? Researchers say most young offenders are male and between the ages of 12 and 14. According to a 2009 DOJ analysis, long-term studies have shown that some 85 percent to 90 percent of them never are arrested for sex crimes again."

Ii was like she was trying to hypnotize the audience into believing it.

• Love 5

Did anyone catch Meee-chelle's "real" voice for a second? It happened near the end of the interview, when she was talking about the "agenda" of the release of the report, and she turned to JB for a minute and said under her breath something. i didn't catch what she said but it was like three octaves lower than that helium, spaced out voice she uses whenever the cameras are on her. 

But otherwise, I might be the only person who thought Michelle came off better than JimBob in the interview, because Michelle at least had the self-awareness to seem uncomfortable. JimBob talked about Josh's "mistakes" like he had shoplifted a few items from the grocery store. Michelle on the other hand seemed to know to appear at least uncomfortable.

• Love 5

So, let's see if I'm clear on this...

By the age of 12 or so, the Duggar daughters know that...

1- They have to keep their shoulders and knees covered at all times because a random passer-by might be incredibly aroused if they don't.

2- They are ultimately responsible for men's sexual thoughts and impulses (NIKE!)

3- If they hold hands with an unrelated man prior to engagement, they are like dented bicycles and no (godly) man will ever want them.

But they didn't know the difference between a good touch and a bad touch. Really? Really?

• Love 23
(edited)

At the end Kelly reassures us, in an almost commanding voice: "What are the odds someone like Josh Duggar will offend again? Researchers say most young offenders are male and between the ages of 12 and 14. According to a 2009 DOJ analysis, long-term studies have shown that some 85 percent to 90 percent of them never are arrested for sex crimes again."

I think that statement was read because it was part of the agreement, the same as Megyn repeatedly said the reports were obtained illegally. So, far all we know is that they were obtained thru official sources in a legal manner, until it is proven otherwise.

I guess the Duggars believe if you keep repeating the same lies enough, people will believe them.    NOT

Edited by Cherrio
  • Love 1

I don't think she was all that uncomfortable about the situation with Josh - I think it was fear about saying the wrong thing in front of JB.  She reminded me of the preacher's wife in "Footloose" who finally stood up to her hubby. 

The thing is, even if that's true, what it means is that of the offenders who come to the attention of the DOJ (and who, since they've come to the attention of the DOJ, most likely are forced into some form of counseling), 10 to 15% are, despite the low incidence of reporting, arrested for sex crimes again.

• Love 3

Why do I feel that the Duggars attorney made this statement a requirement for them being on the show?

• Love 7

So, let's see if I'm clear on this...

By the age of 12 or so, the Duggar daughters know that...

1- They have to keep their shoulders and knees covered at all times because a random passer-by might be incredibly aroused if they don't.

2- They are ultimately responsible for men's sexual thoughts and impulses (NIKE!)

3- If they hold hands with an unrelated man prior to engagement, they are like dented bicycles and no (godly) man will ever want them.

But they didn't know the difference between a good touch and a bad touch. Really? Really?

4. They all seem to be really deep sleepers.

• Love 10
(edited)

But, actual fondling isn't has no impact...it's the media that hurt the girls? Fuck that.

And the even more fucked up corollary of that is that if the girls persist in thinking they were hurt by being molested, they're enabling their victimizers.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

I believe in my heart that the rigid sexual control of their children after the incidents with Josh all stemmed directly from those molestations. They went into such a severe and rigid non-sexual preaching and standards for their other children that it's just absolutely contrary to the normal course of nature. They dressed their girls in longer dresses and higher necklines. The boys had to lower their eyes if they were out in public and some woman walked by that looked too sexy. The modesty regulations went to such an extreme that it became unnatural and unrealistic. No parent should try to keep their children ignorant about sex, that's exactly what makes them more curious and want to explore. Preaching about moral values really isn't the same as educating children about sex. One are strict rules with dire consequences, the other is knowledge and as we all know, knowledge is power and understanding what sex is to a kid at any age and talking about them about sex is so important to have a child grow to become emotionally mature about sex and to understand it's natural and not evil.

Explains all the layers and wearing real clothes (skirts and leggings) instead of PJs to bed. 

In the Christian world isn't the age of accountability (when you are accountable for sins and going to heaven) around 7? I may be wrong. It seems like they are downplaying the seriousness of this because of his age when in all other respects he should be old enough to answer for his sins.

It varies by denomination/belief system, and lots of factors play in. From my Italian Catholic side, I can tell you infants are baptized, and then children usually make first communion anywhere from 7 on up and then confirmation a little later. I have some cousins who lived in a rural town with very few Catholic families, so that had a big communion and then confirmation class every 2-3 years, with kids ranging from 7ish to 12 or 13, vs places with more kids that might require a class with lots of children every month.

For my United  Methodist relatives, it's typically and traditionally12, but there's no age requirement. Some go through confirmation, some don't. Some sprinkle as infants (Christening) then Baptize when they're older and request. 

With my more fundie relatives (clarification - Wesleyan Methodist and Church of God [Pentecostal but not holiness] salvation can be as early as a child professes, but definitely by middle school age, they should be accountable, unless there's some disability or issue. Anyone who understands communion can take it, there is no confirmation.

• Love 1

I know this is supposed to be about the Duggars' scandal, but WTF is up with Megyn Kelly's nose?  She had a canyon on the one side.  It's the return of Michael Jackson's nose.

Dobian - absolutely agree w/you on this!!  I've watched Megyn Kelly dozens of times over the years & I couldn't stop looking at her nose for the entire interview!  I don't believe she's had a (or another?) nose job, because I've seen her on Fox recently.  Can only chalk it up to the lighting.  It was VERY distracting, I must admit.  Thanks for bringing this up -- it really bothered me! 

I was a little disturbed, also, when I initially saw what she was wearing - plus the bad hair extensions (she looks fabulous w/short, layered hair, which she usually wears).  That red top all the way up to there, plus the black slacks (but they were flattering).  However, I LOVED seeing her in those 3-inch heels!  Bet Jim Bob couldn't take his eyes off THOSE!  I've never seen Megyn Kelly in slacks before, cuz she's got GREAT legs & always shows 'em off on Fox.  I'm a "straight" lady, but she really is a beautiful woman, and extremely smart.  Loved her questions. 

• Love 3

Know what this reminds me of?  And I'll be very unspecific so no one will know the organization I'm talking about.  Anyway, I help out at a nonprofit organization in my area, and there was a news story about a place where some between home citizens lived (again, leaving out the specifics of them, as it would give them away).  Well, it was revealed they had no power, etc. so we decided to help.  It was huge news because they've been featured on television so they are well known.  But locally, they are known to be corrupt.  After doing some digging and visiting about 6 times, and seeing all this for ourselves, we decided not to help said group.  I won't list all the reasons why, but there were TOO many red flags.  This reminds me of the Duggar situation.

I'm comparing it now because of the interview.  Every time we'd go and ask questions, we wouldn't get straight answers.  The person-in-control of said place skirted around everything.  And whenever we asked to speak to the people who lived there, or who volunteered there, we were only allowed to speak to one person.  This person was obviously well versed, but also obviously lying.  And now that I've really had time to look back at the Duggar interview and think about this situation, its pretty much the same thing.

First of all, thank all of you for the recaps and posts, so I didn't have to watch. I must say I'm not surprised by any of it. Protecting the eldest chosen son at the sake of their daughters, minimizing the harm done to the little girls, blaming the media, threatening lawsuits, and claiming they are the victims. It sounds like nearly a scripted interview.

Did anyone catch Meee-chelle's "real" voice for a second? It happened near the end of the interview, when she was talking about the "agenda" of the release of the report, and she turned to JB for a minute and said under her breath something. i didn't catch what she said but it was like three octaves lower than that helium, spaced out voice she uses whenever the cameras are on her. 

But otherwise, I might be the only person who thought Michelle came off better than JimBob in the interview, because Michelle at least had the self-awareness to seem uncomfortable. JimBob talked about Josh's "mistakes" like he had shoplifted a few items from the grocery store. Michelle on the other hand seemed to know to appear at least uncomfortable.

Yeah, I caught that too.  

Who definitely had an agenda.

Re the reference by MK to Sophie's choice (which is an EXCELLENT movie, if you've never seen it): I caught that too, but it was almost over talked, and I almost missed it. In his head, I'm sure JB said "who??? Who is Sophie? Sophie who? Should I know that name? Did Ms. Kelly just mispronounce Josie? What did that mean? What what what??? Wait...was Sophie a cucumber on Veggie Tales? Man, I HATE when people get outside of King James Bible references and I don't know what they mean!!"

• Love 12

Saw this comment on FB and thought it was interesting: Gretchen Caspary Tolksdorf It was about as ham-fisted and unsophisticated of a PR spin as one could possibly have imagined.

It was apparently mapped out by some 22 year old public relations major freshly graduated from Liberty University. I can just hear him (and it would be a him, as women don't work outside the home):

"Now Jim Bob and Michelle, what we have to do is to SPIN this story so that it's no longer about Josh. We'll say the records were illegally released, that they were juvenile records, and that you had TRUSTED the police and they BETRAYED this trust by releasing those records. This will excite your supporters who don't trust government. Talk about the WOMAN police chief who wouldn't even shake Josh's hand, who had something against him. This will excite your supporters who don't trust women in power. Then, when she asks why someone would do this, Michelle, you say 'well, it's part of an...an...AGENDA...' and trail off as if you're about to cry. Your supporters will recognize the word 'agenda' as a code word for homoseckshoouls and the liberal atheists who support homoseckshooul sin and the homoseckshooul agenda. Then at the end, Jim Bob, let your voice rise in righteous anger as you say 'this release of sealed juvenile records is the REAL story! This is what the media should be writing about!' Imagine you're Moses shouting down from the mountaintop."

• Love 17
(edited)

Didn't watch the interview, but read a bunch of stuff on MSN.

One lie that stuck out to me was that the girls were sleeping and didn't know anything about it until their parents told them.  Like Boob and Uterus would have mentioned it to them?  They never would have done that, they prefer to cover things up.  Just read another story on the internet that the future is looking bleak for the show.  Too bad, so sad.  I was reading some of their responses to the interview questions.  They sounded even more stupid than I thought they would.  Poor, poor, repentent little Joshie.  It really is all about him, isn't it?  They still don't get it, do they?

Yes, MIchelle, we are all out to get you.  We are so jealous of you because you are perfect and better than us.  Christians?  I think not.  And you know so many other families that this happened with, only worse.  Who the hell are you people?!?!?!?

Now to wade through a few pages of all these comments!

Edited by SmallTownMom
  • Love 5

I don't think so, CofCinci. Did JB say that the perv touched them "under" their clothes? If he did, I must have zoned out during that part.

. He did. Very low toned, and almost as an afterthought, like sliding it under the mat real quick, but he most certainly said it. AND it was AFTER they'd both repeated over and over things like "he just reached over the couch" [insert JB demonstrating the creepy over-the-couch hand...just ewwwww!!! Pretty sure THAT was NOT in the instructions they were being pounded with pre-interview...]

What a crock! .....hauling out two victims to speak on behalf of their molester, while simultaneously bemoaning the fact that the media and "the left" violated the privacy of the victims, is potentially more ironic than a member of America's favorite Christian family molesting multiple girls. Someone seriously needs to replace their "family", faith" and "love" woodcutting decorations with one that says "irony" or "karma".... I don't get what this was supposed to accomplish since I'm more infuriated now than I was two weeks ago.

another post I tried to thumbs up" over and over. I am MUCH more infuriated after seeing the interview than I was before, and I was pretty riled up BEFORE!!!
  • Love 5
And you know so many other families that this happened with, only worse.  Who the hell are you people?!?!?!?

This is what I was wondering. If this is happening with many people that they interact with, that should say something to them. Just because they know others it has happened to does not make it normal, ok, or typical. 

• Love 5

Dobian - absolutely agree w/you on this!!  I've watched Megyn Kelly dozens of times over the years & I couldn't stop looking at her nose for the entire interview!  I don't believe she's had a (or another?) nose job, because I've seen her on Fox recently.  Can only chalk it up to the lighting.  It was VERY distracting, I must admit.  Thanks for bringing this up -- it really bothered me! 

I was a little disturbed, also, when I initially saw what she was wearing - plus the bad hair extensions (she looks fabulous w/short, layered hair, which she usually wears).  That red top all the way up to there, plus the black slacks (but they were flattering).  However, I LOVED seeing her in those 3-inch heels!  Bet Jim Bob couldn't take his eyes off THOSE!  I've never seen Megyn Kelly in slacks before, cuz she's got GREAT legs & always shows 'em off on Fox.  I'm a "straight" lady, but she really is a beautiful woman, and extremely smart.  Loved her questions. 

Why the HECK did she wear that bad long hair? Because it's "what daddy likes"? Because it's Gothard-approved? I can see wearing some semblance of "modest clothing' in their house. But long hair? When it's bad? Very odd.

• Love 2

I've been on the Internet all day reading different news articles, reader comments, blogs, watching videos, etc. regarding the interview last night. I am now 99% certain that the two Duggar idiots made a HUGE mistake by doing that interview. They couldn't have screwed up worse if they'd tried. They hammered the final nail into their own coffin last night. Not only is the show done, but THEY (JB & M) are done. If I were them, I would be afraid to ever go out in public again. They'd better call the Kartrashians and get the name of some good security guards because they're going to need them IMO.

• Love 13

Truly, I have this sense today that Ma and Pa are absolutely floored at the level of intensity of the negative response to their interview.  They really do live in isolation of sorts - yes, they do travel and get out in the world, but they only associate with like-minded individuals and families, so their normal reception and feedback is probably pretty Christian positive.  They're probably feeling betrayed and shell-shocked by the outpouring.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ma and Pa pulled a pre-emptive strike and they decide not to continue with the show, claiming that all members of their family are now victims of that ol' evil media system trying to tear them down and that their only salvation will be to disappear into the outskirts to spread the word of God to the heathens and be out of the media's tarnished eye.  They could combine saving face with saving grace, and bow out on their own terms.  You can't fire us...we already quit!

• Love 13

I have no desire to see any of these people again and it has nothing to do with being uncomfortable. If Jill or Jessa are upset because of their family scandal causing them to lose a spin-off, too bad. Just how long do they think the TLC gravy train should be available to them? We’ve watched this no talent, uneducated group get to travel the world, showing their embarrassing ignorance about other cultures; we’ve watched the two girls put gift registries online with ridiculous amounts of stuff for strangers (who have much smaller incomes than they do) to buy for them; and we’ve seen the crap the parents, Josh and Jessa post online, bashing people who choose different lifestyles.

If these girls want to continue living the lifestyle they’ve become accustomed to, let them get a real education and get a real job that will afford them that lifestyle like the rest of us do. They’ve all sucked at the TLC teat for years, and if they are too stupid to realize that it would someday dry up, I have absolutely no sympathy for them.

I agree with whoever posted earlier that after feeling so bad for the girls, they are blaming everyone else for what has happened instead of putting the blame where it belongs….on their disgusting brother and parents. And as someone else said, if Josh isn’t a molester, just what are they victims of?

I’m so sick of the whole tribe, especially after watching last night's spectacle. Duggars, just go away!

1000xx agreed

Here is the link to see Dr. Keith Ablow's reaction to the interview on Fox. He's damn good here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjUkgTGcF7M

No sound

I have a feeling tlc is bringing them back

• Love 2

Truly, I have this sense today that Ma and Pa are absolutely floored at the level of intensity of the negative response to their interview.  They really do live in isolation of sorts - yes, they do travel and get out in the world, but they only associate with like-minded individuals and families, so their normal reception and feedback is probably pretty Christian positive.  They're probably feeling betrayed and shell-shocked by the outpouring.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ma and Pa pulled a pre-emptive strike and they decide not to continue with the show, claiming that all members of their family are now victims of that ol' evil media system trying to tear them down and that their only salvation will be to disappear into the outskirts to spread the word of God to the heathens and be out of the media's tarnished eye.  They could combine saving face with saving grace, and bow out on their own terms.  You can't fire us...we already quit!

Oh, Tunia, wouldn't it be loverly?!?!? 

• Love 1

I haven't personally read the DSM on this, but I believe a psychiatric diagnosis of pedophilia requires the person to be 16 or older.  Happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable if I'm wrong, though.

I read it too, and you are correct. I'm not a person equipped to diagnose and know we're not supposed to, but there is a disorder in younger children and youth that might better describe Josh's problem.  If correct he would need some on-going therapy with medication during his adulthood. 

The font just got really, really small here. Did that happen to anybody else? How do I change it, it's so tiny it's hard to read? HELP!

I think that's your keyboard. You can try to restart or press the CTRL key and tap the + key and it will enlarge your font

• Love 1
It's insane how concerned they are about Josh's image and feelings

Josh has a headship of his and Anna's family.

Josh had a "career" they think might be salvageable.

And, after Boob and Mechelle's deaths, Josh will be the head of the familly.

That's why they are so concerned.

• Love 1