Type keyword(s) to search

The Kelly File: Duggar Interview 2015.06.03

I think Jessa and Jill want to do the interview. From a practical standpoint, they have a lot to lose. No more paid People spreads, five figure baby registries or adulation from adoring fans. They're young and naive enough to think the reality TV lifestyle will last, even if the rest of us know better.

• Love 15
(edited)

Things that really irked - Jim Boob saying more than once how this happens in many other families that he has spoken to.  I think he's lying but even if he did know other families with a brother molesting his little sisters, IT"S NOT OK. These people are warped.  Boob was trying to desperately get in all of his talking points.  Michele came off as a complete loon,  

FWIW, I do think this type of thing, sadly, happens more often than any of us would want to believe. But there's no way Boob talked to "many other families." Who would do that? Not even him. He'd turn over heaven and earth to prevent anyone else from finding out what Josh had done and he certainly never volunteered the information in order to find out what to do. That was clearly one of the talking points he was advised to get out.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 18

FWIW, I do think this type of thing, sadly, happens more often than any of us would want to believe. But there's no way Boob talked to "many other families." Who would do that? Not even him. He'd turn over heaven and earth to prevent anyone else from finding out what Josh had done and he certainly never volunteer the information in order to find out what to do. That was clearly one of the talking points he was advised to get out.

Yeah, incest and sexual abuse aren't exactly round table discussion topics at the church potluck dinner or neighborhood barbecue. Given the steps they took to make sure no official transcript of this existed, it's unlikely Boob was soliciting advice from random people at the ATI homeschool conference or wherever.

• Love 9

I agree with whoever upthread commented that we have all this sympathy for the girls, and yet they, like their parents, are blaming everyone else for what they're experiencing instead of blaming their disgusting brother and parents.  They are all delusional and judgmental and can take their moral superiority and put it where it will do the most good.  I'm sick of the whole lot of them.  Go away, Duggars!      

The difference to me is that the blame from the girls seemed misplaced as a result of not getting therapy, having been taught their whole life that it is their responsibility to not get molested, etc. Versus the parents and Josh it's just coming from a place of terrible people being terrible. 

• Love 5

For whatever reason, I'm re-watching (I will ff through commercials so it does not count in their ratings)... 

JB just said that Josh went to, quote, "a little training center".

(that is all)

"What is this? A training center for ANTS???"

• Love 21
(edited)

I think also their adherence to a very patriarchal social set up allows for this abuse to be more widespread and hidden than mainstream society. (And I think its already far more widespread in "normal" society than most of us want to believe) If they are all aware it goes on and all aware it's routinely hushed up and the woman is told it's her at fault then yes they probably do know more families where this is not "the worst thing".

Edited by Sunnybobs
  • Love 6

I think Jessa and Jill want to do the interview. From a practical standpoint, they have a lot to lose. No more paid People spreads, five figure baby registries or adulation from adoring fans. They're young and naive enough to think the reality TV lifestyle will last, even if the rest of us know better.

Don't forget that TLC already had plans in the work for a show dedicated to one of them, not sure if it was Jessa or Jill. But hopefully, we've all been saved from that now.

• Love 5
(edited)

Don't forget that TLC already had plans in the work for a show dedicated to one of them, not sure if it was Jessa or Jill. But hopefully, we've all been saved from that now.

Did they? Was it a birth special or an actual spin-off? I think the Duggars are done on TLC, so any chance for either one is now out the window.

I know most of you aren't Fox watchers, but I caught bits of their morning show today. Steven Doocy told a bold-faced lie by stating Harpo executives sat on the anonymous email and he also inferred they waited an extensive length of time before contacting authorities. My understanding is the email was faxed to the DHS the same day.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3
(edited)

Agree. But in fairness to Anderson, I'm not sure the Duggars were being vocal with their anti-everyone-but-people-exactly-like-us type comments at that time. Or if they were, he was't aware of it yet. I seriously doubt they would have appeared on his show if he'd known then what they were really all about.

Also, I don't believe the Duggars would have appeared on Anderson's show if they knew what he was really about. God forbid they appear on a show hosted by a gay person!

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 6

Did they? Was it a birth special or an actual spin-off? I think the Duggars are done on TLC, so any chance for either one is now out the window.

This would be a regular spinoff series. This is from People's magazine.

"While the network has yet to announce whether or not 19 Kids and Counting is officially canceled – and full episodes of the show as well as promotional materials remain on the network's website – a source close to the Duggars says a new plan may shift focus away from the large brood headed up by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, and instead focus on newlyweds Jill and Derick Dillard, and Jessa and Ben Seewald.

"The show had begun to focus more and more on the next generation of Duggars, anyway – mainly Jill and Jessa and their marriages and babies," says the source. "That's when the show got its highest ratings."

• Love 1

I completely agree. They have a lot to lose. What if TLC was going to film Jill and Derick going to Nepal and now that has to be placed on hold? We've speculated for two years that Jessa wasn't excited about Ben except that he got her out of the house. They are defending their OWN families as much as they are Jim Bob and Michelle's. I don't blame them at all for fighting for what they feel they earned. They put up with their parents, their brother, raised their siblings and finally get their chance and now they should just quietly go away because it makes people uncomfortable?

This doesn't mean I'd have any interest watching. Or that I think TLC should do the show. But I don't blame them for fighting for what they have.

• Love 10

I thought the interview was better than expected. I did not think Michelle & JimBob would be as articulate as they were. One thing I've gotten hung up on is this--I understand the backlash they're getting for saying the media has started an unprecedented attack on their family. On the other hand, I find it appalling that the one couple who outed this secret was so brazen and excited on Twitter once the story broke. I understand this couple and the LGBTQ community not supporting/hating the Duggars since they devalue the LGBTQ community but I was shocked that the couple went after the Duggars in this way.

Granted, the Duggars have their own religious beliefs that are very off putting to say the least, but I do not believe they or anyone would "deserve" this information being made public JUST on the basis of them speaking their beliefs & thinking they'd try to get laws passed. It does seem very mean spirited. It has in a way ruined Josh, the girls & the Duggars lives. The TV show may be cancelled, taking away people the kids have come to trust and rely on, the girls are subject to horrible comments on social media, when (in Jill's case at least) they just wanted to post about their life, Josh doesn't have a job & can't provide for his family, Anna is ridiculed etc. 

I snark on them with everyone else and do not agree with their beliefs BUT I also could choose to not watch the show & could have lobbied in other ways if I felt their beliefs were impacting my life, rather than obtain police records & throw this information the tabloids. 

(JUST MY OPINION, that I do feel for them that it was released when they thought they dealt with it properly and had moved on as a family. If this were my family & I TRULY felt it was a non issue, I'd be very upset )

• Love 5

I don't find it doubtful.  I think it was probably state mandated.  The police report resulted in a "Family In Need of Services" referral.  We know there is a sealed case later involving Josh & the Department of Social Services.  I think its likely that in order to keep the children in the home they had to participate in accredited counseling and be able to prove it to the state.  If you look back at some of the rumors on the internet back in 2007- there were people who reported very similar stories and at least one claimed that the Duggars had to follow-up regularly with the state.

Thanks for your reply.

I just re-watched. She actually does *not say in the interview that they went to the Center for counselling. She mentions the Center when talking about how they feel betrayed that this came all out in the media after they went through everything, including bringing the girls there for their interviews.

Separately, they state that the girls and Josh received, quote, "professional, accredited" counselling. No mention of licensed counselors. I don't know what the whole truth is; none of us does. It is, however, highly unlikely that they agreed to counselling outside of their religious group, from what we know about their beliefs. 

Interview deleted from DVR now, hooray!

• Love 1

Alex Wagner on MSNBC was discussing the interview with her panel today, and made this statement:

"When you have to invest in a lock for your daughters' bedroom door to keep their older brother from molesting them, something is going very wrong in your house."

Truer words were never spoken.

It also made me wonder what life in the house was like before Josh's "mistake".  We've only seen the Duggars on TV after they set up their insane rules to "protect" Josh.  Do you think that when the kids were younger there was more hugging and affection?  Like most normal families?  Was this part of the reason that Michelle started acting like she had no connection to her children whatsoever?

The questions abound.

• Love 13

FWIW, I do think this type of thing, sadly, happens more often than any of us would want to believe. But there's no way Boob talked to "many other families." Who would do that? Not even him. He'd turn over heaven and earth to prevent anyone else from finding out what Josh had done and he certainly never volunteered the information in order to find out what to do. That was clearly one of the talking points he was advised to get out.

I agree, we know they keep themselves socially isolated so that they're only speaking to like-minded families ... which makes it even more messed up, because if he *is* talking to many like-minded families and this is happening as often as he portrays, there is a real problem in Gothardland.

• Love 9
(edited)

This is really something to chew on. Both Jessa and Jill will vehemently defend Josh through sobs and tears, even after admitting they were 'victims' but now claim to be victims once again, victims of the media. 

This quote is from Jill in the Megyn Kelly interview:

“We’re victims. They can’t do this to us,” a teary-eyed Dillard says of the media attention that has surrounded their story.

Jessa says:

"I do want to speak up in his defense against people who are calling him a child molester or a pedophile or a rapist, some people are saying,” she told Kelly. “I’m like, ‘That is so overboard and a lie really.’ I mean people get mad at me for saying that, but I can say this because I was one of the victims.”I

I think that both Jessa and Jill are too close to the situation to really be able to view the bigger picture. Yes, Josh did what he did to them. Yes, Josh was contrite, admitted his molestations to his parents and Yes, everyone forgave him. But, had they ever considered that their parents put their younger siblings at risk by not removing Joshua from the home immediately?  Did they ever think that one of the other girls that were molested might not come out as unemotionally scarred or forgiving as they? Another thing to think about, the charge that was brought on Josh was officially 'forcible fondling' in 2002 and 2003. To me that means he had to force himself on his siblings and it doesn't mean that the children 'didn't notice' or never woke up from sleep during the molestations.

I think that most people would have felt a little bit of gratification if either Michelle or Jim Bob had told Megyn Kelly that they were angry, they screamed at him, were outraged. But they said they responded  'there was so much grief in our hearts, I think as parents we felt we were failures".  Now listen, if my kid did something really bad when he was young, I didn't say to him 'oh I feel so much grief in my heart because of what you did". I would scream and spank him and let him know in no uncertain terms this was not acceptable and better never happen again.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 3

In the police report one of the girls references her mother and father hugging her. I wonder if Michelle and Boob pulled back on physical affection after the molestation and that's why they instituted side hugs and separated sibling pairings that were getting too close.

• Love 2

I didn't even hear that part.  The part that I heard was Jim Boob saying that they got a "clean bill of health from the state".  

Is is just me or is that strange?  

:  a bill of health certifying absence of infectious disease

http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/clean%20bill%20of%20health

ETA- sorry but I must add that if they saw all those nasty feet on the countertops, the house would not be issued such.  Just saying.

• Love 3
(edited)

Also, I don't believe the Duggars would have appeared on Anderson's show if they knew what he was really about. God forbid they appear on a show hosted by a gay person!

I'm assuming that they went on AC's show before publicly came out, but he had pretty much been living an openly gay life for years. And really, not knowing AC was gay (before he came out) is like not knowing that water is wet.

But these are the Duggars....

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 3

This is a minor point about the interview, but it may explain why the Duggars suspect an "agenda" at work.

The Duggars appear honestly confused and surprised at the vast media coverage. I'm not sure they really understand why this is so publicized.

I don't think they ever understood what a reality TV show entails. They don't own a TV. I don't think they ever realized that their show would transform them into public figures. Their engagements, weddings, and births might be featured on the cover of People and other magazines. By the same token, however, any controversial conduct would be heavily and publicly scrutinized. I doubt it ever occurred to them. They seem genuinely surprised and hurt that the media is publishing this story.

I wonder if they would have signed up for the show if they had an attorney give them some practical advice and say, "Look, if you sign on for this, it won't be all sunshine and rainbows. Sure, you might make some money and attract some fans, but you will lose all privacy. It is likely that any improper conduct occurring in the past or future will be exposed and heavily publicized. Commentators will speculate about you. Even unsubstantiated rumors could be publicized and may be given more credence than they deserve. Every statement you make will be replayed and heavily scrutinized. Not only will your past come to light, your family will be under the microscope for years to come."

I really don't think they understood what they were signing up for.

• Love 7

On the other hand, I find it appalling that the one couple who outed this secret was so brazen and excited on Twitter once the story broke. I understand this couple and the LGBTQ community not supporting/hating the Duggars since they devalue the LGBTQ community but I was shocked that the couple went after the Duggars in this way.

I think you may have sources of information I haven't encountered. This is the first I've heard of a couple being responsible for 'outing' what happened. Could you fill me in?

Granted, the Duggars have their own religious beliefs that are very off putting to say the least, but I do not believe they or anyone would "deserve" this information being made public JUST on the basis of them speaking their beliefs & thinking they'd try to get laws passed. It does seem very mean spirited. It has in a way ruined Josh, the girls & the Duggars lives.

So, if that's the case, what are your thoughts on mandatory registration and reporting of sex offenders?  

• Love 4

I don't think they ever understood what a reality TV show entails. They don't own a TV. I don't think they ever realized that their show would transform them into public figures. Their engagements, weddings, and births might be featured on the cover of People and other magazines. By the same token, however, any controversial conduct would be heavily and publicly scrutinized. I doubt it ever occurred to them. They seem genuinely surprised and hurt that the media is publishing this story.

They don't seem to realize that the rest of the media doesn't work the way "reality" TV does. Remember that interview JB and Michelle were giving to a news reporter about some political candidate they were supporting? They were live on air and JB could not get the opponent's name correct. He kept stumbling over it, stopping, and then saying "let me try that again"--"take" after "take" after "take," except this wasn't TLC and there were no "takes"! The public sees, via their "reality" show, only what they/TLC want to show them--a sanitized version of their lives. They live in huge protective bubble and are delusional to boot. No wonder they are so shell shocked.

• Love 7

Steven Doocy told a bold-faced lie by stating Harpo executives sat on the anonymous email and he also inferred they waited an extensive length of time before contacting authorities. My understanding is the email was faxed to the DHS the same day.

I'll bet money that Doocy and his bosses have already received not just a phone call, but a letter from Oprah Winfrey's lawyers.

She's not sitting still for that. Uh-uh.

• Love 16

I really can't bring myself to analyze, snark on, or critique the snippets we've seen of the girls' interviews yet.

These girls have been through a lot and I'm guessing they saw their own spin-off as something they deserved for being a part of this dog and pony show, raising their siblings, everything that happened with Josh, keeping sweet, etc. I think they may actually be mad at Josh and the parents but aren't at a place where they can admit that yet, so they have to focus all of their anger on the media & the release of the police report.

One day (it may be many years from now), especially once the show is over and their mini-celebrity lifestyles are over, they will (IMO) deal with the anger they feel at Josh and their parents

If I was Jessa, I'd be pissed about this all, too (and she clearly is). Jill got the big cover of people, the VSE for Izzy's birth, etc. She only got a small box on the cover for her wedding and now she won't even get her own VSE or People layout for her baby. I expect that when her economic situation changes after the show is gone (since Ben cannot yet support her like Derrick can Jill), she might come to the place of being able to admit her anger at her brother and parents.

• Love 7

I think JimChelle needs a shrink asap. Their lack of concern and empathy towards their girls is frightening. I think there's a lot more to the story than what they're telling us. Jessa and Jill has Stockholm syndrome. They're both just robots for their parents. They need real therapy not to be on tv defending Josh.

Therapy for the whole family that would include a heavy dose of de-programming they all surely need it.

• Love 6

I.AM.A.CONSERVATIVE.CHRISTIAN.

There you go: black and white.

I've snarled repeatedly about the various holes in their stories since this news first broke. I'm not conservative enough to back them without research. But I watched that interview with the tiniest bit of "hope" that they would say SOMETHING to make me feel even a microbe better.

I don't. I can't even wrap my head around it, I just want to cry. And cry and cry. They are so so delusional, it hurts my heart. I hated seeing Jill cry, I really did. I wanted to hug her with my fluffy grandmotherly self and protect her from the hurt.

This is why I want Jill and her little family in a mission support center in Nepal as quickly as possible. She is so hurt, and she doesn't understand. She truly believe the "mainstream media" wants to hurt her. It is pitiful. Get her away, Derrick, as fast as you can. 

• Love 7

Megyn made a Sophie's Choice reference when talking about the Duggars protecting Josh vs protecting the girls.

I'm sure JimBob quickly thought Sophie was another one of those evil lesbians out to get him.

Who definitely had an agenda.

• Love 3

This is a minor point about the interview, but it may explain why the Duggars suspect an "agenda" at work.

The Duggars appear honestly confused and surprised at the vast media coverage. I'm not sure they really understand why this is so publicized.

I wonder if they would have signed up for the show if they had an attorney give them some practical advice and say, "Look, if you sign on for this, it won't be all sunshine and rainbows. Sure, you might make some money and attract some fans, but you will lose all privacy. It is likely that any improper conduct occurring in the past or future will be exposed and heavily publicized. Commentators will speculate about you. Even unsubstantiated rumors could be publicized and may be given more credence than they deserve. Every statement you make will be replayed and heavily scrutinized. Not only will your past come to light, your family will be under the microscope for years to come."

Or they saw $$$$$$ signs and nothing else mattered! Once they became adored "stars" they spread their "ministry" and all was good.

• Love 4

I think you may have sources of information I haven't encountered. This is the first I've heard of a couple being responsible for 'outing' what happened. Could you fill me in?

I can't remember if the post was on this site or another, however, there were links to a Twitter & Instagram belonging to the couple who kissed in front of the Duggar home. The coule revealed on Twitter that they had finally be successful in releasing this information to InTouch and basically that the Duggars were going to get what was coming to them since they had discriminated against the couple and the LGBTQ community.

I get hating the Duggars but the way it was written/put out on social media shocked me. I mean there are Twitter posts now saying that Caitlyn Jenner should be stripped of his Olympic medal since he doesn't identify as a man anymore but I doubt Caitlyn Jenner will sue/dig into those individuals pasts. I understand that the information was out there, in form of a police report and that Duggars were on reality TV, but it seemed especially vicious to me.

So, if that's the case, what are your thoughts on mandatory registration and reporting of sex offenders?  

I think it is absolutely necessary. But I also can see where the Duggars would be coming from saying that Josh in their eyes/minds was a child (15 in Duggarese is basically a child since they are so stunted/immature/sheltered (this was meant to be partially snarky)) & they dealt with it as they felt was appropriate. I know I'd certainly have a problem with anything coming out about my stepbrother and confrontations/fights/abuse from my stepdad that were 17 years ago and handled just if another family had suffered abuse and thought we were interfering with their lifestyle if we felt compelled to assert our beliefs. I'm sure I didn't give a proper analogy, but I hope you can see what I was trying to say.

They may believe them to be adults at 13, but clearly Boob doesn't start treating them like adults until they are well-and-truly married.

Except Josh was a 'young boy' at 14/15/16, right? Not old enough to be a sexual predator? Except also an adult. Hokay.

• Love 3
(edited)
I wonder if they are open to a law suit from the retired Sheriff with the evil agenda?  I mean, if this was released legally, then they just said a whole crap load of things that might result in a lawsuit.

Not to mention Jim Bob flat out suggested a bribe might have been involved. Nobody seems to be focused on that, but unless I imagined it, when Kelly asked why it was released, one of the things he threw out there (as a question) was "a bribe?"  They were cross talking, I think.  Don't want to watch it again, but if I were her, that would be grounds for her to sue him for slander. Or at least posture that she might to draw attention to it.

It amused me that they didn't even pretend it was unscripted, as she had the script on her lap and he held his cell phone (no doubt their lawyer was on the open line listening and screaming SHUT UP when necessary).

Edited by kassa
  • Love 6

I believe in my heart that the rigid sexual control of their children after the incidents with Josh all stemmed directly from those molestations. They went into such a severe and rigid non-sexual preaching and standards for their other children that it's just absolutely contrary to the normal course of nature. They dressed their girls in longer dresses and higher necklines. The boys had to lower their eyes if they were out in public and some woman walked by that looked too sexy. The modesty regulations went to such an extreme that it became unnatural and unrealistic. No parent should try to keep their children ignorant about sex, that's exactly what makes them more curious and want to explore. Preaching about moral values really isn't the same as educating children about sex. One are strict rules with dire consequences, the other is knowledge and as we all know, knowledge is power and understanding what sex is to a kid at any age and talking about them about sex is so important to have a child grow to become emotionally mature about sex and to understand it's natural and not evil.

• Love 20

You;'re probably right that they really were that ignorant.

By the same token, they were adults signing up -- quite consciously -- to pursue their "mission" of becoming a visible ideal of morality, faith and godly family life for the nation. So logic (if they had any) would tell them that this would necessarily entail a heck of a lot of public visibility.

Plus, they did it some years after JimBob had already purposed to become a member of the U.S. Senate another role that necessitates high public visibility. 

If two adults with aspirations that high don't know enough to do their due diligence and really examine the potential consequences, good and bad, of putting themselves into the spotlight in either of those ways, then I have no sympathy with them whatsoever. Be they television watchers, or not.

• Love 13
(edited)

ALL.OF.THIS! 

If there were legal ramifications to him speaking out, why would he give a statement where he admitted to the accusations? If he truly believes that he has been washed of his sins by God, why not stand on that and do the interview? 

It's pure damage control. There is a reason that those accused of heinous crimes often are not called to testify when they are being tried in court. Josh's handlers don't want him opening his big mouth right now because the stakes are too high. His track record is to be smug, smarmy, and self-righteous, which *ahem* wouldn't play real well with the public right now. Damage control.

Edited because my fingers rarely cooperate with my train of thought. :)

Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 5

I know this is supposed to be about the Duggars' scandal, but WTF is up with Megyn Kelly's nose?  She had a canyon on the one side.  It's the return of Michael Jackson's nose.

• Love 10

I just can't get past the excuse that specifically in the youngest case, that she didn't understand what was going on. Josie is roughly the same age as the victim, and you mean to tell me if anyone touched her inappropriately, whether she was awake, asleep, or otherwise that you would give them a pass because she doesn't "understand"!? That just sickens me. I can't speak for the victims obviously, but I feel like if I were in that situation, that I was informed after the fact I had been molested and wasn't even aware of it I would be MORE upset and perhaps feel more violated than had I been aware. I can't imagine being like "it's cool I don't remember, no harm, no foul".

I don't know what to think about Jill and Jessa's segment tomorrow. While I was pleasantly surprised by Megyn's questions last night and I think with the victims she may play more softball (rightfully so, I do not believe they should be the ones to have to answer the hard hitting questions, I give them a pass). I feel like tomorrow's interview will be more about the release of information vs the actual abuse. I do feel bad that this is all being brought up again, but I just hope that the victims know that as a whole a majority of us support them and don't believe this reflects bad on them. I hope that while this is unimaginably hard for them now, that perhaps it being out will free them up to not be hiding such a terrible secret.

• Love 11

I know this is supposed to be about the Duggars' scandal, but WTF is up with Megyn Kelly's nose?  She had a canyon on the one side.  It's the return of Michael Jackson's nose.

That's the first thing I said to my husband, 'what's up with her nose, it looks like a bullet hole?'  Usually she's seen face forward on her show, not side view. She had a nose-job some years ago and I think this is the result of that unless she goes rogue after work and puts on her purple wig and nose ring to go clubbing?

• Love 6

In the Christian world isn't the age of accountability (when you are accountable for sins and going to heaven) around 7? I may be wrong. It seems like they are downplaying the seriousness of this because of his age when in all other respects he should be old enough to answer for his sins.

I would like to know what safeguards Michelle is referring to? Just the fact that it escalated from over the clothes, asleep to under the clothes, awake with younger children means they didn't take it seriously. That is negligent and they should be held accountable too for their complicity.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just can't get past the excuse that specifically in the youngest case, that she didn't understand what was going on. Josie is roughly the same age as the victim, and you mean to tell me if anyone touched her inappropriately, whether she was awake, asleep, or otherwise that you would give them a pass because she doesn't "understand"!? That just sickens me. I can't speak for the victims obviously, but I feel like if I were in that situation, that I was informed after the fact I had been molested and wasn't even aware of it I would be MORE upset and perhaps feel more violated than had I been aware. I can't imagine being like "it's cool I don't remember, no harm, no foul".

That's the most outrageous thing I heard in their entire interview. They said it a couple of times. that the girls were shocked like 'where's Josh going?'  Both Jim Bob and Michelle said it a few times how the girls didn't even know something wrong had been done. That is totally false. That's not even possible. They downplayed how the girls reacted because they know that if they said one of the girls came to them hysterical crying that she had been touched then they would have to explain to Megyn why they never got that boy out of the house at once.

When I was five years old, I was playing in the yard with a neighbors son. It was one of those deals where the boy said "hey, if you show me yours, I'll show you mine". And even at the age of five, I knew that wasn't a good thing and it scared me and I ran away as fast as I could. I think even without any knowledge of sex or any education at all by parents, a child has an innate sense about right and wrong.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 16

Not to mention Jim Bob flat out suggested a bribe might have been involved. Nobody seems to be focused on that, but unless I imagined it, when Kelly asked why it was released, one of the things he threw out there (as a question) was "a bribe?"  They were cross talking, I think.  Don't want to watch it again, but if I were her, that would be grounds for her to sue him for slander. Or at least posture that she might to draw attention to it.

It amused me that they didn't even pretend it was unscripted, as she had the script on her lap and he held his cell phone (no doubt their lawyer was on the open line listening and screaming SHUT UP when necessary).

I heard the word " bribe" also.

• Love 5

The part that kills me was JB saying “This was not rape or anything like that. It was touching someone over the clothes. It was, like, a few seconds. Then he came to us and crying told us what happened. As parents you feel like a failure when one of your kids does something wrong. If I had done more training this wouldn’t have happened. The truth is, kids will make their own choices, even though you have taught them right or wrong.”

So if it's just a few seconds (and since when did the 5 second rule apply in this situation?) and it's over the clothes then it's ok? Especially if you have a soft heart (whatever the hell THAT is) and come crying to mommy afterward? Please. Go ahead and have several thousand seats.

I also agree with the posters who said the Duggars probably had no idea what signing on for a reality show meant, because they don't own a tv and probably don't pay attention to much past the local news. I'm betting for as many times as they have been in People magazine they've never actually read a copy. So they're in a world of shock as to how the media treats "celebrities" during a scandal. I'm sure it's just blown their collective minds.

Also, makes me wonder. Do Jessa/Ben or Jill/Derick have tv? I would think it'd help pass the time with their husbands away working. They could learn a thing or two by watching E! or even a Kathy Griffin stand-up special. Then they might start to understand how this works.

• Love 8

That's the first thing I said to my husband, 'what's up with her nose, it looks like a bullet hole?'  Usually she's seen face forward on her show, not side view. She had a nose-job some years ago and I think this is the result of that unless she goes rogue after work and puts on her purple wig and nose ring to go clubbing?

Didn't notice her nose because I NEVER watch the so called news.  However, I did notice what a horrible job someone did with her extensions.  OMG.  Horrid.  Her hair stood out as much as MEchelles dried crinkly mullet.  (not really but it was bad)

In the Christian world isn't the age of accountability (when you are accountable for sins and going to heaven) around 7? I may be wrong. It seems like they are downplaying the seriousness of this because of his age when in all other respects he should be old enough to answer for his sins.

Of course they were downplaying it all.  I loved the fact that Boob would talk about Joshie boy being barely 14 or 15 or whatever.  Don't quote me.  I'm too disgusted to watch it again.  

Boob always mentioned the youngest age he could to protect Josh.  How about mentioning the youngest ages of your daughters when they were molested?  She was barely....?  She had just turned...?

• Love 9

Boob always mentioned the youngest age he could to protect Josh.  How about mentioning the youngest ages of your daughters when they were molested?  She was barely....?  She had just turned...?

on the news now, they said the youngest girl was five years old at the time.

All these years of reading Michelle's instructions on good parenting, I never for a moment suspected she saw herself as a failure as a parent. I feel really bad for parents who come to feel that way. And I actually feel bad for her, even their lagging in getting help for Josh the first time. But when it happened again, and then again -- she lost my sympathy.

I can't speak for other parents, but I've certainly had moments where I felt that I'd failed as a parent. I have two high-achieving, well-adjusted daughters in college so I guess we get a passing grade overall, but I think a lot of parents have those moments.

What pisses me off is how upset they are over having failed Josh, when they barely seem to understand that they had any duty to the daughters at all, never mind failing in that duty.

Guys, I can hardly write or think about this whole Duggar thing. But I want to say thanks to all of you -- regular posters and mods that I already knew I could count on for sane responses, and also new commenters and temporary mods who came and joined in our conversation here with so little disruption. (I may be undervaluing our mods; if there's been disruption, I've barely seen it.)

• Love 18