Type keyword(s) to search

Jurassic World (2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

See this is a problem with the tired  trope of the cold woman who can't get close to others.  The Chris Pratt character (Grant) even mocks their first date because of Clarie's anal retentive ways, the contrast with Grant who the kids can look up to in hero worship and is a dinosaur whisperer to boot.

I don't understand why her character needed to "grow" and melt whereas Chris character is nigh perfect, the "standard" she should aspire to.

I agree with this, and it is a shame that they didn't tweak her character a little bit to maybe make her a little bit more comfortable with herself in a way that leads to his character seeing that he can move some of his attitude in her direction as well.

Having said that, "Your boyfriend is a bad ass" was a great line.

(edited)

See this is a problem with the tired  trope of the cold woman who can't get close to others.  The Chris Pratt character (Grant) even mocks their first date because of Clarie's anal retentive ways, the contrast with Grant who the kids can look up to in hero worship and is a dinosaur whisperer to boot.

I don't understand why her character needed to "grow" and melt whereas Chris character is nigh perfect, the "standard" she should aspire to.

I was amazed that we didn't delve into Claire's daddy issues. Most successful females in the movies have them; it's why they don't settle down and raise a bunch of kiddies. Apparently women can't be good scientists or mathematicians or business women or anything else without there being a 'reason' for it. Men on the other hand, can be successful at anything and not have people wondering why they chose a career over family. 

I'm sure in the sequel we will be treated to Claire's problems with men. 

Edited by spottedreptile
  • Love 3

I didn't get the sense that she was cold. Owen (IMO, understandably) criticized her for writing an itinerary for a date. Even *I*, anxiety freak and OCD dork, agree that such an action is over the top. She read to me more as prissy/uptight and inexperienced with social interactions than cold. She clearly had a heart, so I think it was more that she just got so buried in her isolated job that she hadn't had much exposure to social situations and familial interactions. As a result, she kind of...fumbles and missteps when confronted with those situations. She didn't need to be reminded that her nephews were around and in danger. She was worried as hell about them and they became her main focus. Much like The Rock in San Andreas, she left her 'post' in the command centre and went after her family. She initially wanted the park security to prioritize retrieving them; when that fell through, she sucked up her personal issues with Owen and went to him for help. She could have just sat back and let Owen rescue the boys while she continued to do her job, but she insisted on going along and doing her part; she pitched in and I don't recall her ever complaining (so rare in these types of situations). So, I don't see her as cold...just socially inexperienced. :)

When I re-watched this in D-Box, I realized that I'd underestimated her absence from her family. She hadn't seen her nephews in SEVEN years, according to the older brother. And so from that, I kind of feel that the younger kid's enthusiasm at seeing her was questionable. He's young and if they haven't seen her in 7 years, I'm amazed that he even remembers her. So, him greeting her with such unbridled enthusiasm and a hug seemed weird to me.

• Love 4

I don't know how realistic it was, but I was a bit miffed at the boys being more keen on Owen protecting them after they'd just seen Claire save his butt by gunning down a pterosaur. Pratt may have been dressed like Indiana Jones, but I don't think they'd seen him perform any actual heroics at that point and their aunt had made an entrance like Ellen Ripley not that long ago.

• Love 10
(edited)

I don't know how realistic it was, but I was a bit miffed at the boys being more keen on Owen protecting them after they'd just seen Claire save his butt by gunning down a pterosaur. Pratt may have been dressed like Indiana Jones, but I don't think they'd seen him perform any actual heroics at that point and their aunt had made an entrance like Ellen Ripley not that long ago.

If you're fighting off dinos, are you going to expect help from the person dressed as Indiana Jones or the person in the business suit? ;)

In all seriousness though, yes, they'd just seen her kill a pterosaur but they also saw her immediately follow Owen's directions after that ("we gotta go"), so IMO that would show the boys that while Claire isn't useless, she's not the "alpha" of the rescue operation.

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 1

"Your boyfriend's a badass" comment came after the boys saw Owen riding his motorcycle with a pack of raptors, which is pretty badass LOL.  So I can understand that, though it would have been nice for them to acknowledge that Aunt Claire was pretty badass too.

• Love 4

"Your boyfriend's a badass" comment came after the boys saw Owen riding his motorcycle with a pack of raptors, which is pretty badass LOL.  So I can understand that, though it would have been nice for them to acknowledge that Aunt Claire was pretty badass too.

Actually I like the "Your boyfriend is a badass," line and it makes sense.  Ridding on a motorcycle next to raptors is badass.  The line that makes less sense, is when the boys beg to stay Claire tells them not to worry she's not going to let them out of her sight, their response is, "No, him," in reference to Owen.  It doesn't make any sense to me since they had just seen Claire save Owen's ass and Owen had yet to do anything badass that they had witnessed.  Had they seen Owen do something other than almost get his face chewed off and then kiss their aunt, I think the line would have made more sense.  Given what they had seen, if I were them I'd stick with the person who whacked the dinosaur in the head and then shot it, even if she is wearing high heals.  I mean it's a funny line, I just don't think it works where they placed it in the movie.

I will give the movie tons of credit for not making Claire a whiny damsel in distress, but I would have liked her to have seen her given some credit for her own badassary in the movie.  Having her own nephews think she's really cool after her stilted introduction to them would have been a good way to do it.

• Love 1

I'm amazed they let Dr. Wu back on board considering it was his fuck-up with the frog DNA in Jurassic Park that made the already terrible situation a lot worse.  That said, I was glad to see him back as I liked B.D. Wong's low-key mad scientist vibe.  I really liked his argument with Masrani when he said "You can't ask for a creature with exaggerated predator physical characteristics without the corresponding mental traits."  He's got a reverence for what he creates that no one else seems to have.  I also liked his dig at the dinosaur's appearances by saying "None of these animals are natural and if they were they'd look a lot different."

As for why the park is reopened, the profit potential is HUGE.  Frickin' DINOSAURS up close and personal?  Velociraptors, T-rexes, stegosauruses?  People will give you their firstborn child to see that shit in person.  

I liked the movie but it wasn't as good as Jurassic Park and I think a large part of that was the cast.  I liked Owen and Claire well enough but they're no Grant, Ellie or Malcolm.  I was dissapointed by the lack of a reference to sweaty shirtless seductive Jeff Goldblum scene in the original though I felt the male tech guy was supposed to be Malcolm's spiritual successor.

When Claire and Wu kept being evasive about what was spliced into the Idominus I thought that there would be human DNA in it though I'm glad they didn't go in that direction.  I was sad Morgana was killed so brutally and I felt the scene went on for way too long considering her small role in the film.  Maybe something got left on the cutting room floor.  I was also really bothered by Claire running around in high heels all over the place.  When you're running for your life away from 40-50 foot long dinosaurs, you need every advantage you can get.  I'm asking the ladies on the forum:  Is it easier to run in flats than in high heels and if it is, by how much?  Otherwise, it was a good movie with clear sequel bait at the end.    

Saw this today and it was just okay. Bryce Dallas Howard is near the top of my irrational dislike list so I didn't expect to like her character, and I didn't. Chris Pratt was fine, but I am quite upset to hear that he may play Indiana Jones? Why does every movie need to be remade? Can't anyone come up with an original idea?

Anyway, maybe it was just me but I was rooting for the dinosaur to eat that annoying little boy. The way he manically ran around the park pushing people out of the way to get to the front of the crowd was obnoxious.

How can a theme park located in central America have such an overwhelmingly white staff? I was pleasantly surprised that the one black person lived but I knew that the military squad that was made up of predominantly black and Asian people wasn't going to be so lucky.

The thing that bugs me about movies like this is that invariably after extraordinary carnage and destruction, once it's over the leads stroll out together so happy-go-lucky.

• Love 1

Agree! There was only ONE main female in this movie and two secondary characters. I loved dinosaurs as a kid, and still do. I know Jurassic Park had Ellie and Lex, but man, I wish we had a couple more strong females in this franchise.

To be fair, Blue, T Rex and Delta are all strong females.

With Ellie and Claire, they are my queens :')

• Love 3
(edited)

My verdict: I liked it. it's no Jurassic Park, but it's no JP III, either. It's a good summer movie where they spent way more on the special effects than they did on the script. Still, Jurassic World is not without its charms, most of which belonged to Chris Pratt. As if Hawaii, where much of JW was shot wasn't  gorgeous enough, they had to put Pratt there. Given how hard Pratt's worked for his now-hot bod, it's a shame he didn't show more of it. His arms looked nice in that short-sleeved shirt and his ass looked perfect in those pants. On the bright side, since there'll be sequels, Pratt should take off his shirt at least once, for plot-based reasons, of course and even if it's not, somehow I think it would still  make more sense than a woman running around in the jungle in high heels. Meanwhile, back to Pratt, performance-wise, he was great. His Owen was a strong, smart and funny "bad-ass," to quote, Zach, Claire's nephew. Owen's also adorable, as shown in the now-famous "raptor-whispering" scene. Pratt's definitely a welcome addition to the JP franchise. Re Claire, she's more problematic for me, not because of Bryce Dallas Howard's performance, but because of the script, which was co-written by Amanda Silver-a woman. The script's making Claire into a career-woman who's so obsessed with running Jurassic World that she hasn't seen her sister in years is bad enough, but her being so uptight that she micro-managed her one date with Owen and her inability to kiss him properly were cringe-worthy. I'm not the most social person in the world, either, but if a hot guy kissed me after I saved his life, especially one who looked like Chris Pratt, I'd not only kiss him back, I'd be way better at it than Claire. Worst of all was Claire's relationship with her nephews-or rather, the lack thereof, to the point of her now knowing their ages, nor, IIRC, even their names. Don't even get me started on Claire's lack of personal preparation for a potential disaster. Claire can quote park attendance stats in seconds, but she apparently didn't have a first-aid kit, a pair of pants (regular, jogging or yoga) and/or track shoes, or flats? Whatever.

I also resented Claire's sister's confidence that Claire would someday have kids despite Claire's own insistence that she won't. News flash, sis: just because a woman chooses to be childless, that doesn't mean she's less of a woman. However, Claire did have some cool moments of her own, whether it was getting closer to her nephews, saving Owen or unleashing the T-Rex, so at least she's not a total loss. Vincent D'Onofrio's character was just a stock villain, so his demise was neither suprising nor disappointing. Jake Johnson's character was nothing special, either. As for the kids, ITA that at least one of them should've been a girl. My pick-the older one, who could've been planning to go on a trip with her girlfriends before leaving for college in the fall, only to be forced to cancel at the last minute and get stuck babysitting her little brother while their folks get divorced, hence the trip to Jurassic World. A big sister might have done better comforting her younger sibling about the divorce than Zach did for Gray. Many of Zach's friends-what few he probably has, that is-may come from broken homes, but that's their families, not his. A big sister might have told Gray that crying about their parents' break-up is nothing to be ashamed of, in her own style, like saying something like, "Buck up, 'Jerk-Face,'"  but in a loving way. That said, the boys' eventual bond was touching. Nothing like a near-death experience to get one's priorities straight, especially if dinosaurs are involved. Speaking of which, the dinosaurs in general and the I-Rex in particular were scary, which is predictable. As the other JP movies proved, the only way that tampering with the laws of nature re dinosaurs of almost anything prehistoric with a pulse will end is badly. On another note, IMO the film should have included dedications to the late Stan Winston and Sir Richard Attenborough, two men who, off-screen and on-screen, respectively, helped make the franchise what it is.

Oh, well, at least if Claire does end up having children, it's clearly Owen who will be the stay-at-home parent raising them.

Owen will arguably be the best big-screen manny since Vin Diesel's The Pacifier.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1
(edited)

I also resented Claire's sister's confidence that Claire would someday have kids despite Claire's own insistence that she won't. News flash, sis: just because a woman chooses to be childless, that doesn't mean she's less of a woman. 

As a woman who doesn't actually want children herself, that scene didn't really bother me for two reasons.  The first is, that Claire sounds a little bit wistful to me when she says, "If."  It may be that she's expressed a desire to have kids to her sister she just doesn't know if it's going to work out that way.  And the second reason is, even if she really doesn't want kids and had told her sister that before, I'm not at all surprised that her sister would still insist that she'll change her mind.  I get that all the time.  It's not true, but it doesn't keep people from saying it.   So it at least seemed true to life to me.  

Edited by Proclone
  • Love 4
(edited)

I liked the movie but it wasn't as good as Jurassic Park and I think a large part of that was the cast.  I liked Owen and Claire well enough but they're no Grant, Ellie or Malcolm.  I was dissapointed by the lack of a reference to sweaty shirtless seductive Jeff Goldblum scene in the original though I felt the male tech guy was supposed to be Malcolm's spiritual successor.

I would point squarely at "Directed by Steven Spielberg" versus "Not Directed by Steven Spielberg" as the number one reason it wasn't quite as good as Jurassic Park for me.  The cast and the script are right up there.  I think the cast would be third, and that's not because Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and Vincent D'Onofrio weren't good .  It's just that the first cast had three terrific leads, and then backed them up with Richard Attenborough, Bob Peck, Wayne Knight and Samuel Jackson. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1

Saw it today. Add me to the camp that thinks a movie that mediocre can't be placed on Chris Pratt's broad shoulders. Honestly, aside from his character, I couldn't root for any of the humans. Not even the kids. The older one was a horndog, and I kept wondering if dinosaurs were allergic to the young kid, since he was way too precocious. And Viewmaster? Who has those anymore?!? And I was kinda/sorta hoping that the mother would punch Clare in the mouth at the end of the movie. No such luck.

I mean, the movie did bring out some great concepts, like dinos in combat (which would probably give generals wood just thinking about it), and how hardcore sponsors would be to promote an obvious deathtrap. Also, it's kinda hard to feel sorry for the people who became winged dino chow, even though they paid for it. Last year, my mother spent some dough to get an "experience" feeding a panda in a cage for me and her. Granted, that's a world of difference between pandas and dinosaurs . . . give a panda enough bamboo, and he'll be cool with having biscuits fed to him while he's not chilling in his enclosure. I don't know why I thought of that . . . it just popped in my head. Sorry if it was a shitty metaphor.

I vote "no" on sequels. Aside from the legal ramifications (even if everybody signed a waiver about being eaten), I can't see how much more can be squeezed from the franchise.

• Love 2
And Viewmaster? Who has those anymore?!?

They still make and sell them. They are part of the classic/retro toy collections. And view master just announced something with Google for some 3D virtual reality thing.

I suppose the view master was there to show that the kid was a little quirky. 

Aside from the legal ramifications (even if everybody signed a waiver about being eaten), I can't see how much more can be squeezed from the franchise.

People will still go. They sign up to feed sharks (or go in their tanks in aquariums). A lady just got eaten at a lion safari park and those are still operating. People still dangle their children over predator pits in the zoo even though that has ended badly for some. One of my favourite rides at Disneyland (Big Thunder Railroad) killed somebody through no fault of his own and I still ride it. Jurassic World will do a study and beef up safety features and people will come back in droves.

• Love 1
(edited)

And I was kinda/sorta hoping that the mother would punch Clare in the mouth at the end of the movie. No such luck.

For... risking her own life to make sure her remarkably survival instinct-lacking nephews made it out of dinosaur apocalypse safe and sound?

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 14
(edited)

Well, logic aside, the boys did a good job of surviving on their own. Lets not forget they beat Claire and Owen back to the park. Zack and Cody are a my new standard for silverscreen children who aren't annoying. 

Edited by PrincessEnnui

People will still go. They sign up to feed sharks (or go in their tanks in aquariums). A lady just got eaten at a lion safari park and those are still operating. People still dangle their children over predator pits in the zoo even though that has ended badly for some. One of my favourite rides at Disneyland (Big Thunder Railroad) killed somebody through no fault of his own and I still ride it. Jurassic World will do a study and beef up safety features and people will come back in droves.

Did Big Thunder Mountain try to...eat you?

I mean there are isolated incidents/accidents but the attractions at this park attacked the visitors on a huge scale. They slaughtered multiple people and the attacks can't even be blamed on a single species of dinosaur. And I'm sure all that shit was put on YouTube as soon as the survivors could get wifi. The idea of a sequel with the park re-opened is patently absurd.

• Love 1

I mean there are isolated incidents/accidents but the attractions at this park attacked the visitors on a huge scale. They slaughtered multiple people and the attacks can't even be blamed on a single species of dinosaur. And I'm sure all that shit was put on YouTube as soon as the survivors could get wifi. The idea of a sequel with the park re-opened is patently absurd.

Which is why BD Wong escaped. It is following the Alien franchise as loyally as this move followed the plot points of Aliens

No. How is being eaten going to get you any more dead then having the lead car on a coaster de-rail and crush you? Do I care if I get eaten or slowly bleed to death in great pain?  Both seem an unpleasent way to die when on holidays.

If people think that the issues have been resolved or that it is unlikely to be repeated while they are there, people will return to the park.  Thousands of people died in a single day due to multiple plane crashes, but people still get on planes (despite the risk of bad design, bad maintenance, bad luck, mechanical failure, birds, terrorists, suicidal pilots or Russian rebels armed with SAMs). This year already, there have been 12 shark attacks in the Carolinas (when a normal year would have 4-6 for the whole season), but that's not stopping the tourists. Bookings are up. People still start smoking cigarettes despite the pictures of diseased lungs on the packages.

They don't even necessarily close killer amusement park rides. They assess risk. Fix the issues. And return to business.

The park operated for 10 years with no issues. In the universe in which the park exists, the initial incarnation of the park resulted in multiple deaths before it even opened. Its farm island resulted in more lives lost. And later escapees ran around a major city eating more people (and a dog!). Yet the park still opened and did great business. In that universe, the park can re-open.

No. How is being eaten going to get you any more dead then having the lead car on a coaster de-rail and crush you? Do I care if I get eaten or slowly bleed to death in great pain?  Both seem an unpleasent way to die when on holidays.

If people think that the issues have been resolved or that it is unlikely to be repeated while they are there, people will return to the park.  Thousands of people died in a single day due to multiple plane crashes, but people still get on planes (despite the risk of bad design, bad maintenance, bad luck, mechanical failure, birds, terrorists, suicidal pilots or Russian rebels armed with SAMs). This year already, there have been 12 shark attacks in the Carolinas (when a normal year would have 4-6 for the whole season), but that's not stopping the tourists. Bookings are up. People still start smoking cigarettes despite the pictures of diseased lungs on the packages.

They don't even necessarily close killer amusement park rides. They assess risk. Fix the issues. And return to business.

The park operated for 10 years with no issues. In the universe in which the park exists, the initial incarnation of the park resulted in multiple deaths before it even opened. Its farm island resulted in more lives lost. And later escapees ran around a major city eating more people (and a dog!). Yet the park still opened and did great business. In that universe, the park can re-open.

That is a really good point. And I'm not just saying that because I want a sequel.

I mean, if you say so. But really all those things =/= Dinosaurs

But that might just be me!

• Love 1
(edited)

Boston.com asked its readers if they'd prefer the city to host the Olympics or build a real-life Jurassic Park:

Thanks to a very scientific and hilarious poll done by Boston.com, we now know that people would prefer a real-life Jurassic Park in Boston over the 2024 Olympics.

It wasn’t close, either.

As of Wednesday morning, over 86% of those who took the poll said they’d prefer a real Jurassic Park over the 2024 Olympics.

The poll was the brainchild of Boston.com writer Charlotte Wilder.

“One of my co-workers saw an article about how much it would cost to build an actual Jurassic Park,” Wilder said in a phone call with For The Win. “So I looked it up, and it was a Fandango video saying it would cost 23 billion dollars to build a real one. And someone pointed out that the Sochi Olympics cost 50 billion. And I was saying: ‘Wait, we could either build a real Jurassic Park for half what it costs to host an Olympics?'”

As far as the movieverse goes, I think the real Jurassic World wouldn't be able to be insured, especially not after the latest go round, but getting enough people to come back to reopen wouldn't be a problem. They'd launch a massive PR campaign and remind everyone of the years of safe operation. How many horror movie idiots keep going camping in the woods time and time again?

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1
As far as the movieverse goes, I think the real Jurassic World wouldn't be able to be insured, especially not after the latest go round, but getting enough people to come back to reopen wouldn't be a problem.

This is why I keep saying that the biggest suspension of disbelief in this movie is that after the first Jurassic Park fiasco, plus a T-Rex wreaking havoc in one of the US' biggest cities, the theme park could ever realistically open! Who the hell is going to insure that ticking time bomb...especially when their emergency plan is "have everyone run to the big square and be out in the open"?

• Love 1
But really all those things =/= Dinosaurs

I think being eaten by a shark isn't much better than being eaten by a Dinosaur. Being eaten by a bear doesn't seem like much fun either (but just ask how many times the rangers at Yellowstone have to tell people not to get close to them for the photo-ops).

This is why I keep saying that the biggest suspension of disbelief in this movie is that after the first Jurassic Park fiasco, plus a T-Rex wreaking havoc in one of the US' biggest cities, the theme park could ever realistically open!

There are multiple tour companies offering tours of Chernobyl. People pay tens of thousands of dollars to be guided up Everest despite the fact you have to walk by the dead bodies of some of the previous tourists. Every year 20K people trek on Mount Blanc despite a death rate of 30-70 per year. On average, each year, 41.5 people die skiing/snow-boarding.  How many tourists died in Jurassic World?

I'm sure that one of the reasons Jurassic World is located not in the United States is because they got themselves some favourable legislation limiting claims.  I do agree though that the JPIII events might have resulted in some serious claims - the company probably re-structured.

(edited)

I think being eaten by a shark isn't much better than being eaten by a Dinosaur. Being eaten by a bear doesn't seem like much fun either (but just ask how many times the rangers at Yellowstone have to tell people not to get close to them for the photo-ops).

There are multiple tour companies offering tours of Chernobyl. People pay tens of thousands of dollars to be guided up Everest despite the fact you have to walk by the dead bodies of some of the previous tourists. Every year 20K people trek on Mount Blanc despite a death rate of 30-70 per year. On average, each year, 41.5 people die skiing/snow-boarding.  How many tourists died in Jurassic World?

I'm sure that one of the reasons Jurassic World is located not in the United States is because they got themselves some favourable legislation limiting claims.  I do agree though that the JPIII events might have resulted in some serious claims - the company probably re-structured.

All very good points! I guess people really do love danger. The idea of people going to Jurassic World even after the Jurassic Park days frankly seemed more believable to me than Vincent D'Onofrio's whole plan with the weaponized dinosaurs. I know he was supposed to be the evil mustache-twirling villain, but that plan seemed more on the level of grandiose, nonsensical crazy you'd get from the pampered son of some super-billionaire overlord/dictator desperate to outshine his father's achievements somehow.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

This is why I keep saying that the biggest suspension of disbelief in this movie is that after the first Jurassic Park fiasco, plus a T-Rex wreaking havoc in one of the US' biggest cities, the theme park could ever realistically open! Who the hell is going to insure that ticking time bomb...especially when their emergency plan is "have everyone run to the big square and be out in the open"?

I don't think that that was the emergency plan. It seemed most people stayed in the open areas of the park, main street and the introductory activity center with the dig site. I don't think there was an evac plan until the red shirt billionaire died. Everyone was supposed to go back to the main park and shelter in place. They (the tourist and low tier staff) missed or ignored the sheltered in place detail, probably because there was nothing about a giant carnivore on the loose.

Zack and Cody are living the suite life, aren't they?

I am so, so terri-bad at names, its not even funny... But I'll laugh anyway. XD

This film really tried to make Claire as uptight and unlikable as possible (until she teamed up with Owen, of course).  Yet, I had a lot of sympathy for her.  I thought it was asinine for her sister and brother-in-law to send their sons to Claire's workplace, and expect her to entertain them WHILE she was working.  And it's not like she was particularly close to them - she hadn't seen them in seven years. The younger one would have been barely a toddler, if that.  I have nieces and nephews, some closer than others, and no way in hell would I be okay with them coming to visit while I'm working.  Especially at a theme park the size of an island. With dinosaurs.   

If Claire was on vacation, that'd be one thing, but she wasn't. She's having to juggle dangerously naive billionaires, Corporate interests, GMO Rexs, and such.  Not really the ideal environment for familial bonding, especially involving kids. The way the sister broke down in tears on the phone after discovering she wasn't spending time with them, I got the impression that it wasn't Claire's idea for them to visit.  More like she agreed after some sisterly manipulation or cajoling.      

If the parents were getting divorced anyway, I don't know why one of them couldn't have accompanied the sons, who are THEIR responsibility.  Not like they were using the opportunity to have some fun times together as a couple. I might have preferred one of them getting the Zara death treatment.  

• Love 2

Chris Pratt was America's Sweetheart for a brief moment.  Now, he's just annoying.

I was disappointed that the dinosaurs still didn't win over the stupid humans.  I did laugh when the big reveal was that the alpha dinosaur had raptor DNA.  Raptors.  They're always the bad guys. 

Too many plot holes for me to care if the humans get off the island.  E.g., Lady Administrator of the Island is looking for her nephews, who are in the sphere ride.  Time is off the essence, but she and Raptor Wrangler have time to stop and comfort a dying dinosaur.

Howard and Pratt have no sexual chemistry. 

Pratt does well when he's StarLord.  I get the feeling that Owen is Pratt's version of Indiana Jones.

• Love 1
(edited)

Boston.com asked its readers if they'd prefer the city to host the Olympics or build a real-life Jurassic Park:

Well, in all fairness, the results may be more of a comment on how much they don't want to host an Olympics... :)

I'm still trying to figure out the Gyroscope. They put people in a hamster ball and send them out into a massive fenced in area to roll around and observe some herbivores. The length of this journey is not controlled by the ride operator, so conceivably, someone could be on that shit all day. Yeah, I call shenanigans. They should have played it out that the operator can pull the spheres back but some kind of malfunction prevented that from happening.

I also call a mountain of bullshit on the older brother deciding to "off-road" in the sphere on an island where there are carnivorous dinosaurs. Darwinism alone should have had him killed. ;)  Also, what caused that massive tear in the fence anyway? The I-Rex was on the outside of that area, so did she tear a hole in the fence and then turn around and leave? Or did some gentle herbivore eat some radioactive grass, hulk out, and crash through?

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 1
(edited)

Pratt can't do straight balls out machismo, the kind of easy masculinity that Harrison Ford , Daniel Craig or Clint Eastwood could do in their sleep.

He's a self deprecating ironic modern hero , which is fine and worked great in GOTG.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 4
(edited)

Just saw this. Better than I thought it would be, which isn't saying much because I thought it would be terrible. From the moment I saw the preview that showed the raptor pack running with Pratt on his motorbike, I thought this would be a corny failure.

So they actually did that stuff better than I anticipated, with the imprinting/alpha dynamic and the fact that the raptors really never were under Pratt's control. He had a tenuous superiority over them, which both he and they seemed to recognise could come apart at any time. Them turning on him when they met the big mutant one was actually pretty cool. But then they turned back because... I don't know, they like him more? Goofy, but I did feel a little exhilarated when the last one turned up to save the day, along with the T-Rex.

The mutant dinosaur was kind of everything that was wrong with the movie. 'Oh, it's so smart it can plan and trick people, oh it's got camouflage, oh it can turn off it's body heat somehow'. Yes, it's super-dino, it's the biggest, scariest thing ever. Just like the Spinosaurus in Jurassic Park 3 was, and just like whatever they concoct in Jurassic Park 5 will be. You could take the idea of them concocting that beast because people were bored of dinosaurs as a very meta statement on the movie, but I don't think it was deliberate.

I did like the homages to the first movie. At first. I loved that the two kids ended up at the old park HQ, and loved the call backs from the torn banner (still lying on the floor, somehow) the 'gas jeeps', the night-vision goggles. Those bits gave me a real sense of nostalgia, particularly that frieze with the raptor on it. It's a shame that they didn't do a water tremor bit, because that would have been perfect. But then they started hammering it into the ground with all the call backs. Dinosaurs in the rear view mirror (may appear closer than they are), attracting the T-Rex with a flare, someone getting killed horrifically for laughs.

Speaking of, I was a little disturbed by the glee with which they lingered on the poor assistant's never-ending death scene. What the hell? What did she do that was so reprehensible for that to happen? (It was probably made worse for me by the heinous kid in the theatre who was cackling away at that scene like he was watching a Tom & Jerry cartoon) Anyway, the rest of the characters were pretty much stock. 'Adorable' moppet with shaggy hair that I'm supposed to care about, douchy teen brother who is actually a good guy under the adolescent bluster, cold and withdrawn woman who just needs a good seeing to from the manly hero, sneeringly evil and dumb military contractor who cares more about his ambitions than human lives, scoundrel hero who understands the enemy like no one else. They're all lifted directly from a stereotypes handbook. The acting was generally fine, when you consider most of their time was spent staring in fear at a tennis ball on the end of a stick.

Others have mentioned this I think, but what's really missing from this movie (and the prior two sequels) is the heart that the first one had. That was clearly a labour of love for Spielberg, and imbued with all of his best party pieces. The characters were warm and witty, even when they're being dumb. The dinosaurs were the spectacle, but the people still felt well rounded and their relationships were important. This movie didn't do much more than tip its hat in the direction of emotional warmth.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4

8.8/10 Where it stayed true to the franchise, I enjoyed it very much.I could have wished a bigger part for the dedicated geek that wore the Jurassic Park T-shirt he bought on E-bay. The ending was very predictable. Good for multiple viewings.

Edited by beetnemesis

I'm not overly nostalgic about the original film... it wasn't a great movie but it had a handful of stellar dinosaur set pieces (I think David Koepp is one of the worst Hollywood screenwriters... certainly Spielberg's most unfortunate frequent collaborator). I thought JW did a descent job recreating the formula of the first movie... mixing generic characters and plot mechanisms with sweet, sweet dinosaurs. Personally I think dinosaurs would even be cooler if the formula involved interesting characters and tangible world building, but I get that the place best capable of creating dinosaurs... Hollywood... isn't all that interested in that. But the best Hollywood films always are.

Still, this had some fun dinosaur scenes. I agree the death of Zara was totally off. Honestly I find Trevorrow to be a uninspired choice to helm the final episode of the new Star Wars trilogy.

Finally saw it today.   I liked it, it was fun.   Some stuff bugged (I get that the sister was getting a divorce and was sending the kids away for the weekend while she and the husband settled I guess, but her utter horror that the kids were alone was grating.   Claire had a hectic job, and theoretically the teenager was old enough to take care of the younger one.  By the way, what were we supposed to take away from the little one?  ADD?  Autism? Or was he picked up in the 70's and transplanted into a movie in 2015? he was an odd one. ) but for the most part I liked it.   I wanted to spend more time with the raptors.  The military subplot made no sense whatsoever. 

BDH's high heel running was impressive.   Stupid, but impressive.

1. The universal human naivete: this time it will be different!!

2. Throw enough money around and approvals for the most insane shit can happen.

3. Why learn from your mistakes when you can (presumably) make a ton of money and Dr Frankenstein you some dinos?

REPORT THIS POST PRI

It reminds me of Wall Street.  Having a Hedge Fund Guy as owner of the park, that is a villain I can get behind, and he would have deserved the death the poor assistant got.

• Love 1

I didn't care for it.

In comparison to Jurassic Park, Jurassic World came across as a dinosaur snuff film when it didn't make you feel sorry for some non-existent CGI animals that were forced to play horsey for a bunch of kids.

There was also much less sense of anticipation or wonder.  I felt as if JW was on two speeds, kill it or chase it, and nothing else.

The meta references to commercial tie-ins and customers needing ever more ferocious dinosaurs, and then criticizing both sentiments, was too precious.

On the whole, the cast had much less chemsitry than in JP.  It's probably not worth talking about what little characterization they had.

• Love 3

I was one of the roughly...eight people who hadn't seen this movie until last night when I watched it with a friend. Sentences uttered included "Oh my God, they probably did something stupid like crossed the T-Rex with the raptors" and "the only way I find the sequel believable is if they cross a brontosaurus with a golden retriever and some rexy DNA just spills in there by accident." And despite that I enjoyed it immensely and will probably buy it on DVD. The Jurassic Park franchise knows its bread and butter and that has always been and always will be "humans r dum, dinosaurs fuck shit up." And it makes for an enjoyable couple of hours.

I did like all the nods to the original. The premise of the whole franchise is implausible to begin with, but the original had such charm that you went with it. The second and the third were missing that charm but I thought this one came quite close. There were elements of this one that I liked better, such as I liked in this one that they seemed to have thought safety concerns through more, even if hubris ended up getting the better of them, and I actually liked Chris Pratt's Owen more than I liked Sam Neill's Alan.