Type keyword(s) to search

500 Days Of Stalling

Hated it, way too much work to get to the actual questions. Jeopardy at least manages to get through about 60 questions in less than 30 minutes. Won't be watching again.

For a better version of this series, see The Chase on Game Show Network. Still very much a British show requiring DVR and some fast forwarding, but the format's a lot more interesting and not as byzantine.

• Love 3

Watched it the other night when I was visiting my mom. I laughed at the way it reminded me of the convoluted game show Joey was going to host on Friends. Couldn't stand Richard Quest. Won't tune in again.

• Love 2

This got really boring, and annoying, really fast.

When a gameshow somehow makes you fondly think back on The Million Second Quiz in contrast... it's bad.

• Love 2

The questions were a bit too difficult, but the fatal flaw was how nothing seemed to happen. An hour went by and the same two contestants were still involved. Games need conclusions, and this game felt neverending.

• Love 3

I've watched several episodes so far, and while I like the format and the questions, there is WAY to much talking and repetition of the rules.  The next time Mr. Quest asks the contestant if he understands, Steve should just say, of course, I'm a genius, as obnoxiously as possible.  At this rate, I don't see how anyone(even the current champ) can even get close to answering 500 questions.

Supposedly, this show is going to "bring back game shows," according to Fox's M. Darnell!  LOL!! IMO, this is a snoozefest. No competition makes it boring, boring, boring. Too many rules, drummed into viewers over and over and over by an extra loud and obnoxious host, too many questions to which the player gets multiple guesses, and on and on. The show's only saving grace,  thus far, has been its friendly, humorous, competitors (toothy aside, tho Alex Jacob says  he's not really a bad guy). Since it's offered in prime time, albeit summerish prime time, I'm surprised it wasn't better thought out.

• Love 1

Oops, Darnel is no longer with Fox but was with them for so long he'll forever stick in my mind as a Fox guy. Developed this show with the Survivor guy whose name escapes me at the moment.

The key to a good game show is the ability of people to play along at home.  This show has really tough questions that are asked so fast that we don't have much time to noodle them out.  Then, they wait a long time before getting to the next question, leading to impatience.  

It's a frantic show with lots of boring downtime, if that makes any sense.

• Love 3

Along with Quest's frenzied behavior and speech, when a contestant gets an answer correct, we usually can't hear or understand them and that's due to all the audience noise or Quest's OTT BS. It might not feel like such a waste of time for viewers if they put the correct answers on the screen so we can actually learn something, or feel good because we know we actually got it correct.  Not sure why I care because I lasted about 20 minutes and won't be watching it again anyway.

• Love 1

One thing that's boring me about this is that it's not much of a competition. There have been several "challengers" who seemed knowledgable whenever Quest threw them a missed question. Several I've liked enough to want to watch them play and maybe learn more about them.

Unfortunately the "challenge" is mostly the "let's see how much I know" variety. Kind of like "Millionaire" but without the strategy involving other people and with a dreary set and overly hyper host.

I guess you're supposed to become increasingly invested in seeing one person reach 500 questions (too many, imo, the way it plays out here, where you actually can miss a lot along the way). But even though I think the main people--Dan & Steve--have been likeable enough (Steve more than Dan), I'm rooting for someone new--for some refreshing change--rather than to see "more of the same".

I'm sure the dark set, emphasizing only the contestant and Quest (who's not handsome/charismatic enough to carry the show like this with just one other person) doesn't help at all either.

Unlike "Million Second Quiz", there's an inherent problem with getting near the end.  The 500 question goal clearly becomes inherently impossible right around the middle of the show's limited run, and it doesn't take "geniuses" in the viewing audience to realize that.  Stupid, stupid setup from the getgo--and that would be even if the actual dynamics of the game itself weren't lame.

• Love 1

Unlike "Million Second Quiz", there's an inherent problem with getting near the end.  The 500 question goal clearly becomes inherently impossible right around the middle of the show's limited run, and it doesn't take "geniuses" in the viewing audience to realize that.  Stupid, stupid setup from the getgo--and that would be even if the actual dynamics of the game itself weren't lame.

I suppose one idea is that the show is designed to be ongoing, and the "limited run" is just intened to see if there's enough of an audience for it. So 500 Questions works in the context of a regular series.

I think the flaw in the show is having a "challenger" who has nothing to do but stand there hoping for a mistake. I wonder though if this went on as a regular show with less smart contestants, there would be more rapid turnover of the players. Right now the players are just too smart.

• Love 1

I want one of the contestants to turn to Quest when he's doing his insane arm waving during their countdown and yell, "WOULD YOU KNOCK IT OFF!"  

Megan making fun of 'tickle' was the best part so far.  She should've kept doing those tickle hands every time the camera panned to her.  The challengers don't have much else to do.  May as well make fun of the show in pantomime.

For a better version of this series, see The Chase on Game Show Network.

In fact the second challenger (the guy who was a professional gambler) also appeared on The Chase. 

This show is too static. I agree with the criticism of the host and his repetition of the rules, but moreover, there are far too many safety nets for the contestant. I actually think it is designed to see one contestant get all the way to 500 questions. It all seems too easy for this guy and I have no real sense he's ever in any danger of losing. Getting to just ramble guesses in ten seconds until you hit the right answer is like getting a free pass. And who wants to watch the same guy for an hour over the span of several episodes? Boring.

Quest, please stop asking "what is your thinking" every time there's a Battle challenge and the contestant has to choose to lead or follow. On second thought it doesn't matter because I've pretty much given up watching this. 

• Love 1

Don't like the idea of having a challenger who just stands there. Maybe the challenger could pick all the questions for the contestant.

Also, don't like the contestant being able to wipe out two wrong answers with one right answer.

Don't care for the host ... His voice and mannerisms are too much.

What kind of fake Brit is this guy anyway?  He said "Zee-bra" instead of "Zeb-ra".

I also think he's said "zero" instead of "naught", but I suppose that one is understandable since he would have been prepped ahead of time not to use "naught" (or "cross" instead of "x"--then again he gets around that one simply by calling them "wrongs").

Watched it the other night when I was visiting my mom. I laughed at the way it reminded me of the convoluted game show Joey was going to host on Friends. Couldn't stand Richard Quest. Won't tune in again.

I made it through about 15 minutes and when no Wicked Wango card appeared, I was out of there. Way too much chatter vs. actual game playing.

• Love 2

I must be the only one who doesn't think there was much chatter. There was a lot of repetition of the rules which was annoying, but I thought it went way faster than shows like Deal or No Deal or Minute to Win It, and yes, Are You Smarter than 5th Grader and shows of that nature where contestants tell their sob story and family/friends/3rd grade teacher show up to cry and then taking 15 minutes to decide their next move and then wasting more time asking friends/family/3rd grade teacher their opinion on that decision.

• Love 3

I didn't mind the ability to spew out a lot of answers hoping to get the right one, or the lack of head to head competition. But I do think that, for a TV game show, if the rules have to be explained after every commercial break, it's probably too complicated. Sure, a new show is going to require a little more explaining for contestants and viewers, but this show requires waaaaayyy too much explaining. That, combined with the host's nonstop too-loud obnoxious chatter made this unwatchable for me.

• Love 1

Mark Burnett, who also helped develop The Amazing Race.

He...did? I know he developed Survivor, The Apprentice (and unleashed The Celebrity Apprentice upon the world), The Voice and Shark Tank, but I'm pretty sure it was Jerry Bruckheimer that developed The Amazing Race (or at least Burnett is never listed on their closing credits).

I feel like this should lead into a pithy comment about how this should've been a question on 500 Questions. Producer Mark Burnett, internationally known as the greatest reality mind of all time, helped develop countless successful shows. Name three of them. TEN SECONDS!"

• Love 1

but I'm pretty sure it was Jerry Bruckheimer that developed The Amazing Race (or at least Burnett is never listed on their closing credits).

You are correct,Eolivet. I will turn in my fan card. :(

As for the chatter aspect, I think it is the near-constant repetition of the freaking rules that makes me want to shoot my TV. You told us two and a half minutes ago! When there isn't a rules rehash, the game tends to go faster than other games shows. The ones mentioned, where background stories that don't actually have anything to do with the game are allowed to eat airtime. Unfortunately, this show has not only rules rehash, but " Why did you X?" when no one cares! Maybe the person picked a category because their butt was itchy; who cares? Read a question! Answer a question!

Then the "blaming" of the challenger if they picked a category the contestant answered correctly. I mean, the challenger already has been hectored into speaking  to every available subject open  and then to "humourously" chide them for not stumping the genius across the stage?  Whatever, Show.

I suppose one idea is that the show is designed to be ongoing, and the "limited run" is just intened to see if there's enough of an audience for it. So 500 Questions works in the context of a regular series.

After the first night or two, I mentioned that I hoped this wasn't ABC trying for another Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? launch, with the intention of daily shows. Millionaire got run into the ground with five times a week in prime time.   This is a limited "event" and has an irritating to many host, tiresome talk that barely stops, and another dark set with spotlights. Plus, it started in the middle of a week, skipped the weekend ( granted, Memorial Day weekend), and was sometimes an hour, sometimes two.    

As is asked in many New Show Factsheets, "Why now?"  I guess to kill time before  scripted shows commence for summer? I have no idea.

• Love 1
(edited)

Quest just opened the last of 7 episodes with the question "Will anyone answer 500 Questions ?"  

Seriously, they haven't even answered 500 questions in total over 6 episodes, how do they expect to do that in one 2-hour episode ?  Is Quest incapable of doing simple math or does the hype machine just override common sense ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
(edited)

Richard is now the "reigning genius."  Talk about damning someone with faint praise!  To paraphrase Dennis Miller, isn't this like being the valedictorian of summer camp?

This last two hours were the most unsatisfactory conclusion since the last episode of The Sopranos.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 1

It seems to me that this show is simply a huge FU from ABC to its audience.  I absolutely cannot understand the awful decision-making that went into this - from the shrill host, the constant repetition of simple rules, the multiple asking of why the "genius" chose to lead or follow, the useless challengers . . . I could go on, but that would be spending more time on this than it's worth.

There were only two things I liked - the huge number of categories, and the fact that the last 2 challengers didn't even pretend to be interested in the questions. 

I really hope there's not going to be another series, because in my mind, this show has 3 wrongs and therefore MUST BE GONE.

• Love 9

I really hope there's not going to be another series, because in my mind, this show has 3 wrongs and therefore MUST BE GONE.

Really L   O   L!!  As someone else said: I sure hope the ABC PTB read this board. And hire some of you!!!

(edited)
Richard is now the "reigning genius."  Talk about damning someone with faint praise!  To paraphrase Dennis Miller, isn't this like being the valedictorian of summer camp?

A grand total of 4 contestants in 9 hours, but really it was 3 -- THREE !!!!! --  since one never even got the chance to play.  Poorly thought out game design accompanied by shitty execution and a terrible host -- it's like a crappy game show trifecta.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

This is probably because I'm a huge nerd, but I would be happier with just one guy sitting in a plain, well-lit room answering questions until he gets one wrong. Bring in the next person. I'm not watching to get invested in someone else taking home a shitload of money - I'm watching to see how many questions *I* can get right.

But I guess that wouldn't make for "good" TV...

• Love 5

I guess after 2013's expensive flop "Million Second Quiz" they're keeping these things cheap and stupid.  

I couldn't make the whole two hours so I didn't see the end but I'm glad that the Drew Carey clone was unseated. 

I'm also glad this show is over.  Whew. Not sure why I kept with it. The trivia nerd in me wouldn't let me change the channel, LOL

I have to object to Quest stating at the beginning of the show that this is the hardest quiz show EVER because 1. No saves, 2. No helps, 3. No multiple choice. Please. A person can get two strikes (excuse me, "wrongs") and then erase them BOTH with ONE correct answer. WTH? If that's not a "save," what is?

Then a person has HOW LONG? to say as many answers as he/she can think of and after 20 wrong answers if the 21st is correct, then he/she is "correct." WTH? If that's not multiple choice, what is?

This show obviously thinks very well of itself. Unfortunately, many of its viewers here do not agree.

• Love 3

this is the hardest quiz show EVER

I know-- it was Quest being subversive!  He knows that barely a handful of questions get to be asked and answered before commercial breaks and his mandated filler patter have to take place. It's  the hardest quiz show ever because they barely get to the quiz part.  :D

• Love 1