Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: And The Rest Is Drag

• Start Topic

I'm sorry that was such bs. Pearl was by far the worst lip syncer and that final outfit was horrendous. Guess they needed to get rid of Kennedy to pave the way for Ginger, though to be honest, tonight was the first night I could really see Violet taking home the win. I loved her final outfit and thought she had the most creative/best lip sync

• Love 4
(edited)

Wow, color me surprised big time.  I really thought that no matter what Kennedy would be moving on to the final three.  Glad she didn't though, granted she's a good entertainer but there's a level of toxic there.  No thanks.  

As the episodes have gone on I've enjoyed Violet more, and Pearl.  While I really do see Ginger winning it all it wouldn't be a huge tragedy if one of the others did.  Though I still miss Katya big time. 

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 4

I personally really liked Violet's runway. All of her runway looks have been top notch, and I'd be really curious to find out what Michelle Visage actually expected to see from her. Pearl was in yet another lingerie-inspired outfit, and I didn't hear a single complaint about that.

Either Pearl or Kennedy could have sashayed away tonight and it would have made no difference. I'm not a Ginger fan, but if she wins I won't be mad...she does have talent. Violet's lip sync was not bad, and her sketch characters were surprisingly well done, plus she always slays on the runway looks, so I'd be happy with her win, baby queen or not.

• Love 5

Maybe next week there will be a Very Special reveal that Santino wasn't a regular judge because he was actually writing the scripts and songs for the challenges all season. There has to be some explanation why they've sucked so horribly, and that would also prove he's just as talented at fashion design as he is in other media.

This could all be salvaged by crowning Katya and Tammie Brown as co-winners next week, but I feel like that's about as likely as finding out that Bristol Palin's wedding was canceled because she was discovered cheating on her fiancé with both Carson and Ross (although not necessarily at the same time).

• Love 7
(edited)

As the episodes have gone on I've enjoyed Violet more, and Pearl.  While I really do see Ginger winning it all it wouldn't be a huge tragedy if one of the others did.  Though I still miss Katya big time.

I'd be OK with a Violet win - but Pearl is not ready for this kind of platform. The communication skills just aren't there.

After watching, I have to wonder how much harder the producers could have pushed the young vs. old angle tonight - it didn't make any of them look particularly good.

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 3

I just want an extended version of this episode with an exasperated Candis Cayne in the corner of the screen commenting on the queens. Her frustration was killing me, especially when you consider all these queens had to to do was a little dancing. No treadmill or wind machine like the girls last year.

• Love 10
(edited)

I knew Pearl was going to be in the final three since Voss Entertainment - the company that is managing the live crowning in New York and the "Night of 1000 Queens" during Pride weekend here - goofed and sent a poster for the Pride event, in the confirmation e-mail for the ticket I bought, featuring Pearl, Ginger, and Violet.

But I at least expected Kennedy to really screw up egregiously in order for Pearl to be kept over her. If you scored the three components of the challenge - the runway look, the acting, and the dancing - Pearl did the worst overall of the queens this episode. Her runway look was good, but very expected (it didn't push her aesthetic to its limits the way it should have, it just reiterated the look she's been serving all season); her acting was decent; and her dancing was horrific. Like, it was the Elaine Benes terrible dancing from Seinfeld translated into the language of drag queens. Kennedy's acting portions were the worst of the four, but I think her gown was the best she's worn all season and her dancing portions were by far the best of the four queens. Her runway speech was unprofessional in its reference to Violet and she regrettably mixed up condone and conduct, but I think Pearl's journey should have ended here and Kennedy should have advanced to the final three. Who knows, maybe the runway speech was what screwed Kennedy over?

Or, more likely, TPTB had already decided an aging, slightly bitter, slightly bald and slightly overweight black Texan pageant queen with a thick Southern drawl and a sharp mouth was not telegenic enough, or not the "look" the season was going for, or would not appeal to the teenybopper fans who they want to market towards. Pearl seems like a nice person by the post-show accounts of all the contestants, she's a talented makeup artist and has a defined (if very limited) aesthetic, and she's had what seems like a hard life. Her vague, tearful accounts of her childhood seemed to be dancing around child physical and/or sexual abuse, and she dropped out of high school at 16 to work as a hairstylist and/or spa attendant and support herself. But, end of the day, she was there for her value as an intriguing reality TV contestant, not for her value as an entertainer. I've said my piece about that on other threads here, but I'll sum it up: 1.) The whole "Pearl coming out of her shell" and finding her way redemption arc is classic reality television, and a classic Mama Ru fantasy dating back to Tyra; 2.) She's more "telegenic" than Kennedy by Ruduction's estimation, and appeals to the teenybopper fans who flocked to Adore last season for her heartthrob looks; and 3.) Her placement over Kennedy is polarizing, and keeps people talking about the show.

Edited by vrocotamy
  • Love 3

Kennedy's speech seemed to be the nail in her coffin, and I'm okay with that.

I'm going to watch Untucked now, a day ahead of all of you. And then I'm probably going to hate Kennedy even more, as is the custom after watching every episode of Untucked.

• Love 2

But I at least expected Kennedy to really screw up egregiously in order for Pearl to be kept over her. If you scored the three components of the challenge - the runway look, the acting, and the dancing - Pearl did the worst overall of the queens this episode.

Rumor has it they film all four possible endings to this episode and decide who goes later based on the way the fans react to the season. Pearl was a bit of a breakout star - although even on Reddit very few seem to be rooting for her to win.

• Love 1
(edited)

Rumor has it they film all four possible endings to this episode and decide who goes later based on the way the fans react to the season. Pearl was a bit of a breakout star - although even on Reddit very few seem to be rooting for her to win.

I've heard that rumor...however, the infamous inside leaker at Reddit (illnevertellu) denied that was the case, but that the queens are contractually obligated to say they don't know who's in the top three. Kennedy's tears seemed real to me, at least. I also think that her speech would have been refilmed without the malapropism if TPTB were interested in promoting her to top three (although, of course, the editing monkeys could have used the original footage if the four-endings thesis is true.) The editing of the runway critiques really endeavored to make Kennedy's performance in the challenge look substantially worse than that of Violet or Pearl, so it's difficult to tell if TPTB had already decided to send her home that episode or if it was a decision made in the editing room while the season aired.

I edited my post above to summarize the reasons why I think Pearl made top three over Kennedy. But, seeing the controversy on Reddit - I feel like 1/3 of the posters are "Go Pearl! Pearl for the win! Ding dong, the witch (Kennedy) is dead", 1/3 are shocked and offended Kennedy was cut over Pearl, and 1/3 are indifferent to either - the idea that production aimed to be polarizing by putting Pearl in the top 3 is especially salient. Production clearly wanted to shake everything up from the relatively staid (but excellent) season 6, and they succeeded. I think the producers are familiar with the bulk of the footage that's been filmed when they make the final cuts before airing, and they could have already projected painting Kennedy as the bitch (or Darienne last season) by the end of filming. IMO, it's the reason Ruduction pulled a last minute switch from Raven winning to Tyra winning in the last episode of S2 - they had enough footage to put a convincing villain edit on Raven and decided Tyra could be made sympathetic with fewer gymnastics.

I think Pearl's comments on Facebook about the "real story" behind her argument with Ru are enough to ensure that she won't win. Painting Ru in an unflattering light or contradicting the edit that blatantly - and painting World of Wonder in a bad light - probably killed her chances of winning. World of Wonder, RuPaul, and the other interested parties choose a winner, in part, based on professionalism and heeding the contract. Even Sharon - for all her shenanigans - never revealed anything she was contractually obligated to conceal.

Edited by vrocotamy
  • Love 3

For those no longer watching but reading these threads, the show continues to suck.

Thanks for taking one for the team.

Pearl was meh and didn't get eliminated, you say? Must be Monday.

• Love 7

After watching, I have to wonder how much harder the producers could have pushed the young vs. old angle tonight - it didn't make any of them look particularly good.

Not to still be sour grapes about last week, but I can't help but think that part of a reason Katya left in the fifth spot and not fourth was because even though Katya is 32 (older than Ginger!), she never bought into the Bitter Old Lady Brigade vs. Young Pretty Queens bullshit. Katya was inspired by Violet's confidence, not turned off by it.

That being said, Kennedy -- who I'm not necessarily a stan of -- got the Darienne Lake Bullshit Elimination, IMO ("You weren't bad, but we don't want you in the final three, so it's your time to go"). I find it very interesting that they didn't show her dancing solo being coached by Candis Cayne -- probably because she was the only contestant that didn't fuck it up! 

This afternoon I was bummed about having to work the night of the finale, and now I don't even need to see it.

I wonder if there was more to the conversation with Violet from the old ladies than we saw. There's no real defense when someone is telling you, at 22, that "you're not there yet and you're not mature enough". What is she supposed to do? Blink and make herself five years older? I know the show is all about the Pearl redemption arc, but I think Violet has also grown -- I thought she was unnecessarily rancid in her first few episodes, but she's come across as likable to me. And the girl is versed in herstory, which I love.

• Love 1
(edited)

This wouldn't be a bad top 3 if Katya was in it, instead of Pearl. Seriously Pearl has done nothing noteworthy to be in the top 3. 

Edited by blaase
  • Love 12

Lunch with Ru will never not be hilarious. And she's juicing now! LOL

For a split second I was wondering if a shock elimination would actually happen and Pearl or Violet would sashay away...but no. Farewell, Kennedy. Imho I thought Kennedy did better in the challenge and much better on the runway than Pearl did but, well, many of us guessed who would be final three.

I felt soooo bad for Candis Cayne in this episode dealing with three queens not known for their dancing skills but I was living for Matthew's fabulous beard!

• Love 1

I would pay to see last season's top three or four perform together; I would not pay to see this season's top three or four. Shouldn't they be worried that their weird decisions this season will have financial repercussions after the show is over? Or will a lot of people go see the top contestants no matter who they are? Really, Katya makes the difference for me. Ginger is ok, but Pearl can't dance or lypsync, and I don't think she has stand up potential either. 

• Love 4

This was just so...obvious. Was it here I heard that Pearl's "breakdown" earlier in the season when she left the workroom and came back with newfound hope was just the producers coaching her on her storyline for a couple of hours? I believe it, especially after the "Terrible things that I will vaguely reference in a way that makes them sound horrible but give no detail whatsoever, look I'm crying without any tears and it makes Ru call me a star for no reason" breakdown on the runway. I really do think that Pearl was told she's the winner of this season, decided to screw off and act entitled, then was honestly shocked when Ru expected her to step up even a little. Otherwise, why wouldn't Ru have spent time building up someone else, like Fame, who at least is charming in her talking heads?

It's honestly the most baffling season I can imagine. I get it that the "old (at, like, 33?)" vs. the "young" queens storyline was what was going to be sold this year, probably because Adore was so popular, but there were better younger queens (Violet seems to have realized what was expected of her, and Max was a fun younger queen) to highlight. It just shines a light on the fact that this isn't a contest about anything but who Ru wants to crown from the beginning. Sadly, we haven't had someone so dull that was pushed into the front of the line since Tyra.

• Love 4

I feel like 1/3 of the posters are "Go Pearl! Pearl for the win! Ding dong, the witch (Kennedy) is dead", 1/3 are shocked and offended Kennedy was cut over Pearl, and 1/3 are indifferent to either

Another theory is that Ru really does want a big girl winner, and Pearl is in the top 3 to split the youth vote. Even on Reddit right after the east cost airing people there were commenting that Ginger seemed to be leading on Facebook.

• Love 2
(edited)
I would pay to see last season's top three or four perform together; I would not pay to see this season's top three or four. Shouldn't they be worried that their weird decisions this season will have financial repercussions after the show is over? Or will a lot of people go see the top contestants no matter who they are? Really, Katya makes the difference for me. Ginger is ok, but Pearl can't dance or lypsync, and I don't think she has stand up potential either.

Fans will pay to see this season's contestants because they are new and attractive.  Talent has very little to do with it.  And once S8 starts up these queens will fad into the background; well the ones with little talent will.  I believe skills is what pays the bills =)  Meaning you are more likely to have a long career in drag (Bianca, Courtney, Ginger, Katya) if you are actually talented and have the ability to perform.  This stand around and look cute is enough to satisfy the younger crowd for awhile but honestly there are A LOT, LOTS of attractive, young queens in the Drag community that can stand around and look cute.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 2

That was some high quality garbage. Maybe I'm just blind to Pearl's greatness, but I don't see how she's more worthy of top three than Kennedy. She has one face, one dance routine, and no spark.

#teamGinger

• Love 3

In the words of Margaret White: I was weak and backslidin'! Meaning, I caved and watched the show (Untucked, too!) last night.

I wasn't that surprised that Kennedy was sashayed because the second she said "condone/d" in her speech I waved at the television and said "bye Felecia!". Also, I've long thought that this years crown was Ginger's to lose (even though I hoped and dreamed my darling Katya would win!) and I really can't imagine anyone else winning it at this point.

Honestly though, of top three I'd choose Violet which I would never, ever had thought I would at the beginning of this season. I can (barely) remember what I was like at 22 but I know I had nowhere near the level  of confidence as Violet and I really admire that. Also, I love her looks and of the two young queens she has more to offer than Pearl. Full disclosure: I 'hate' (in that very special reality glorified game show way) Ginger with a passion and would enjoy watching her lose.

I will say this about Pearl, though. During the acting challenge she actually made me laugh out loud with her portrayal of the mother character. I thought she was really hysterically funny.

The bottom line is I'll be happy to see the back rolls of this season!

• Love 1
(edited)

Fans will pay to see this season's contestants because they are new and attractive.

From what I can tell, a huge chunk of the pretty young thing fanbase wouldn't even be able to pay to see them if they wanted to. They're either not 21, or they live in areas of the US (and the world) where the opportunity doesn't even exist. An awful lot of them seem to have discovered drag on the internet and by watching RPDR (and some admit to never even having seen the actual show)  - they have no frame of reference for what a real, live working queen does to feed herself. They dismiss talents like acting, singing, dancing not as gimmicks like Roxxxy Andrews did in season 5, but as irrelevant to the "future" of drag (along with lip syncing skills and the ability to work a crowd).

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 2

I went into this knowing that Kennedy was going to go out because of the RuPaul Premier interviews where she made some allusion to having to pick herself up and even be ready to come to the premier. It all just came off, at the time, as 'I almost made it but didn't and I'm still pissed about it' so -- not a surprise.

I'm one that still loves Pearl but I do think that this is Ginger's crown to lose. It it had been a situation where Kennedy went home last week instead of Katya and Pearl then went home this week... I'd have been fine with that but there was something about Kennedy that has just rubbed me the wrong way for awhile now. And I'm still pissed about last week's desperate lip synch sending Katya home. 

Eh, such is life.

Pearl's childhood trauma and how she doesn't go into detail... I'm fine with that. It strikes me as really being horrible and if she doesn't want to go into detail then I'm fine with that. I don't need to see these queens have their therapy moments on the show no matter how legit they are. I mean, Trixie came from a household that was apparently so abusive that the cops came to remove her from it but that's all she said about it and that's fine, too. If Pearl doesn't want to specify she doesn't have to. And I think we all know that she's not a good enough actor to be faking that shit.

I enjoyed last night's show but, the thing is, as annoyed as I have gotten about the eliminations here or there... it's still just a frothy fun show that shouldn't be taken seriously. I remember when TLo were still doing recaps and they'd get to that point every season where they had to remind themselves 'this is a show about drag queens... and it's not meant to be viewed with such vitriol when we don't agree with the results.' For me, it's been fun to be watching this with my sister so we can talk about it during and guess what's going to happen... even just based on the editing. "Uh oh... Katya's getting the attention in the editing... that means she's either going to win or go home." And then we can bitch about things afterwards and such.

So it's still fun for me.

• Love 1

Kennedy kind of shot herself in the foot with that speech, didn't she?  I still think overall she was better than Pearl.

Could not agree more.  I'm no fan of Kennedy, but she was much, much better this episode than Pearl, in my opinion.  All goes to confirm my theory that Ru had been weeding out anybody who might have been able to give Ginger some competition all season.

• Love 2

IMO, it's the reason Ruduction pulled a last minute switch from Raven winning to Tyra winning in the last episode of S2 - they had enough footage to put a convincing villain edit on Raven and decided Tyra could be made sympathetic with fewer gymnastics.

I'm curious - is the switching from Tyra to Raven thing a theory, or is it something that's leaked?

I've always assumed that Ru and the sponsor had Tyra in mind for the win the whole way through. She not only was the last one to walk into the workroom in the premiere (like Bebe before her and Raja after), but they seemed to be giving her wins right before the challenges when she was likely to need immunity. Like her questionable win over Raven in the wedding dress challenge, which came right before the singing challenge that she was bound to be terrible in.

And after Tyra behaved badly and came across like an idiot, and was mediocre in a bunch of challenges, I don't think Ru would have given her the win unless it had basically been decided already.

(Plus, I can easily see Ru and a corporate sponsor deciding in advance that Tyra was the right fit. Beautiful as a girl, handsome as a man, great on the runway, has a cute kid, and comes with a backstory about being homeless. And Ru was still all about the glamazons at that point.)  

• Love 2

I hit the mute button when Ru asked the contestants for a campaign speech, so Kennedy's elimination was a little more surprising to me.  But then I remembered that I was expecting that to happen last week, when she managed to stay over Katya.

Pearl is still utterly meh.

I could live with Violet winning -- she has a certain amount of wit and self-awareness.  But her arc has been more about dropping her guard a little than learning or improving, which doesn't seem to be going anywhere particularly triumphant.  Ginger has been presented as having more obstacles to overcome.  I think she's the most talented queen of the crop, but it's more a matter of liking her than feeling really impressed by her.  Which is interesting, because some of her challenge performances (the acting ones) have been quite impressive.

• Love 1

especially after the "Terrible things that I will vaguely reference in a way that makes them sound horrible but give no detail whatsoever, look I'm crying without any tears and it makes Ru call me a star for no reason" breakdown on the runway.

I am probably going straight to hell for saying this but....the cynic in me is saying that this terrible thing Pearl experienced in her life will come out at the live finale.  Gosh I hate to think this way because it sounds like whatever Pearl went thru was really, really bad--maybe abuse of some sort so if it's finally revealed at the end of the show--well if that doesn't scream timing to get more ratings/a larger fan base/pity for Pearl I don't know what does!

Gosh I hope it doesn't go down like that.  If Pearl isn't comfortable talking about what she went thru during the  lunch with Ru then yeah wait til you're comfortable with it--please God in heaven don't turn it into a schtick to receive a larger Instagram following!

• Love 2
(edited)

This episode really pissed me off.  Just because you're fucking 40 doesn't make you Chad Michaels, Latrice Royal or Raja, bitches!  Kennedy and Ginger's busted, dated 80's dynasty/pageant looks were embarrassing to watch on the runway.  Maybe stop using your own hair and looking the same every episode before you pull an arrogant bitchface and start reading the other queens!  Ginger and Kennedy did not mess up less then Violet and Pearl in this performance-heavy season. 

And actually no, Ginger with her pedestrian, basic, boring drag and lack of sewing skills would not have made it very far at all in seasons 3 or 4 where the focus was on drag and not acting/dancing skills.   And her campaign speech was bitter and pathetic, reminded me of Roxxy.   Shangela probably could have made it to the top three and won this season.   

I would have voted for Katya (who yes, looked younger and had better drag then K/G, as well as a better attitude) but now I just want Pearl or Violet to win.  I was sick of Kennedy from day one.  And I think it's quite toxic that RPDR wants to play this as a choice between young or old, fashion or performance...  The queens should have it all, we shouldn't have to pick either/or.  And whoever wins this season may get the one hundred thousand minus taxes, but really, this entire group of queens are the girls that got sent home during the first three episodes of every other season.  So it doesn't mean very much. 

This has been the worst season ever, and I hope that the producers either change the format or the audition process (or both) to decide what they are looking for from the queens.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 6

I really loved Violet's final runway look. She's a little dull as a character, I think, but she nearly always looks amazing.

I hope next season is better. I was a fan of Ginger in the beginning, and then fell for Katya. I now don't really care who wins. I'll watch the finale but meh. 

Well, no question that most eliminations are rigged, specially at this point, but I can´t be sad for Kennedy, she went too far on her speech, also without being able to use much of her acrobatics moves she was outshined by the other girls, even Pearl! Violet lip sync was a nice surprise, standing out the most. Meh episode, too much sob stories, not enough challenge/runway presentation.  From the three left, Violet is proven to be the most versatile, even not being as funny/good at acting like Ginger. The untucked was more interesting, since they could vent about what happened on stage.

• Love 1

What a boring season. The only final runway look I found noteworthy was Kennedy's, Ginger's was IMO one of the worst looks she has had all season(it looked to fit really poorly, especially in the lip sync), Violet's just looked like a worse version of Raja's amazing final runway look in season 3 and Pearl's was also quite possible the worst look she's put out on the runway, and what is the point of all that draping material if you do nothing with it and throw it away for the lip sync?

The music video portion was embarrassing even by the low standards of the music video finales. The acting portion was just god awful and nobody shined in it, which is really sad because the acting portion of the finale was a highlight of the last three seasons. I fastforwarded through the Ru talks because they've always been boring, i don't expect that to change now.

The final lip sync was pretty much what I expect of the finale lip sync: really boring and low energy to a song that is hard to perform to. Sharon Needles is IMO the only one to really pull off being notable in the finale lip sync.

• Love 1
(edited)

Another theory is that Ru really does want a big girl winner, and Pearl is in the top 3 to split the youth vote. Even on Reddit right after the east cost airing people there were commenting that Ginger seemed to be leading on Facebook.

When I heard the spoiler of Pearl, Ginger, and Violet as the final three, that was my conclusion - that Ru and her associates really want to crown a big girl, and they feel Ginger is their best chance, so they didn't want to put any meaty competition (e.g. Katya or Kennedy) in the final three with her. Even without the fan vote, which is only one factor in the ultimate results, it would make Ginger's win look very clear and rational. The only wrench in that plan is that I think production projected Ginger to be much more popular than she was, after the popularity of Bianca, another sharp-tongued Southern comedy queen, last season. Even if Ginger is much more popular with the broader viewership than with the Reddit fanatics, she's unpopular enough that I project Violet will win. I just looked at the Facebook fan vote and Violet is at 3,300 likes, Pearl is at 3,000, and Ginger is at 2,100. In all honesty...I've been a Ginger fan this season overall, but I think she and Pearl showed their asses (or at least, lapses in judgment) this episode, and that it might be enough to pull Violet over the top. 

I'm curious - is the switching from Tyra to Raven thing a theory, or is it something that's leaked?

It's something that's leaked, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily true. I can find the exact source later if you're interested. I don't want to pull the thread too off track towards Season 2 discussion - although it's surprisingly relevant since this is the most puzzling final three since then. Allegedly, a producer told Raven she was "the one", and Santino and Merle were also led to believe Raven was going to be crowned, so they were surprised when Ru "changed her mind" at the last minute. I always assumed Tyra was crowned for the reasons you mention above - I can easily see Ru and a corporate sponsor deciding in advance that Tyra was the right fit. Beautiful as a girl, handsome as a man, great on the runway, has a cute kid, and comes with a backstory about being homeless. And Ru was still all about the glamazons at that point - but I think those maybe were plus factors in awarding her the win over Raven, rather than reasons she was preordained to win. Tyra had a better reality TV arc and was more likely to elicit compassion than Raven - who had so many pricelessly bitchy confessionals she couldn't be redeemed by her show of that very compassion in the Drag Mothers episode - even if Raven proved in the spokesmodel challenge that she was better equipped to fulfill the duties of a winner than Tyra.

This episode really pissed me off.  Just because you're fucking 40 doesn't make you Chad Michaels, Latrice Royal or Raja, bitches!  Kennedy and Ginger's busted, dated 80's dynasty/pageant looks were embarrassing to watch on the runway.  Maybe stop using your own hair and looking the same every episode before you pull an arrogant bitchface and start reading the other queens!  Ginger and Kennedy did not mess up less then Violet and Pearl in this performance-heavy season.

And actually no, Ginger with her pedestrian, basic, boring drag and lack of sewing skills would not have made it very far at all in seasons 3 or 4 where the focus was on drag and not acting/dancing skills.   And her campaign speech was bitter and pathetic, reminded me of Roxxy.   Shangela probably could have made it to the top three and won this season.  

I would have voted for Katya (who yes, looked younger and had better drag then K/G, as well as a better attitude) but now I just want Pearl or Violet to win.  I was sick of Kennedy from day one.  And I think it's quite toxic that RPDR wants to play this as a choice between young or old, fashion or performance...  The queens should have it all, we shouldn't have to pick either/or.  And whoever wins this season may get the one hundred thousand minus taxes, but really, this entire group of queens are the girls that got sent home during the first three episodes of every other season.  So it doesn't mean very much.

This has been the worst season ever, and I hope that the producers either change the format or the audition process (or both) to decide what they are looking for from the queens.

I agree and disagree with different portions of this post. I'll start with what I agree with:

1.) This was the worst season ever.

2.) Ginger and Kennedy's looks were often dated, rather '80s/Dynasty, and repetitive. Ginger has always been polished, but her only really memorable outifts were the runways for Snatch Game and John Waters (leather and lace and ugly dress.) I think she could push her "Crossdresser for Christ" aesthetic even further. I liked Kennedy's finale pride dress - these are drag queens, after all! - and her leather and lace look. But Kennedy's weakest aspect is her runway presentation - and two of her outfits - the chicken/phoenix outfit from the "Death Becomes Her" runway and the furry gown in the green runway - are among the worst items to ever have been brought by a queen onto the show (not made there.)  I really resent the notion promoted by some of the "fashion queens" and their acolytes this season that the "future of drag" is modeling outfits you make yourself, since there are models and designers for that, and they're better than virtually all queens at those tasks. But visual communication is an important part of drag, and it's neither Ginger nor Kennedy's strong suit.

Edited by vrocotamy
  • Love 1

I think Ginger is good at communicating with her aesthetic.. it's just not a very hip or modern aesthetic and it's pretty limited, as it's largely built around the Hairspray aesthetic and doesn't really explore much outside that field(which is why I suspect a John Waters episode means they were always pulling for a Ginger win). But she's good at pulling that look off and knows how to make it work for her.

Which is true of most of the queens this season, variety just hasn't been a strong suit of any of them. At least for me, I found the 100th cinched corset lingerie look of Violet just as boring as Ginger's 100th big hair '50s inspired dress or Pearl's 100th garter belt and panty look or Miss Fame's 100th simple gown or Max's 100th old Hollywood glam or Jaidynn's 100th bodysuit with a choker etc. No one this season really managed to wow me with runway, both because of a strong lack of variety and because none of them know how to properly walk a runway.

• Love 5
(edited)

I just want an extended version of this episode with an exasperated Candis Cayne in the corner of the screen commenting on the queens. Her frustration was killing me, especially when you consider all these queens had to to do was a little dancing. No treadmill or wind machine like the girls last year.

Her frustration is the cherry on the cake of this sucky season. Has she had talking heads before? I don't remember her doing this on any other season. Hell the stuff that was happening to them reminds me of the (usual) first challenge where the queens are doused with some kind of water or wind and have to try and take a stunning photo. The wigs and lashes fly due to the wild circumstances and not from shoddy drag.

What ginger and Kennedy was pulling with Violet in the workroom reminded me of Roxxy's tactics with Jinx, trying to psych her out. And what was up with ginger mentioning to the judges that Violet has a short temper? Where did that come from?

Edited by jellywager
  • Love 1

Kennedy's speech seemed to be the nail in her coffin, and I'm okay with that.

Right there with you. In the world of drag, reading is fundamental. If you come for someone you had better be on point, not in need of a thesaurus. That was just weak.

I'm Team Violet. Here is a young queen with panache; such a refreshing change from that sloppy mess known as Adore. I could be satisfied with a Ginger win. I like Pearl but not as America's Next Drag Superstar.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Ginger is good at communicating with her aesthetic.. it's just not a very hip or modern aesthetic and it's pretty limited, as it's largely built around the Hairspray aesthetic and doesn't really explore much outside that field(which is why I suspect a John Waters episode means they were always pulling for a Ginger win). But she's good at pulling that look off and knows how to make it work for her.

Which is true of most of the queens this season, variety just hasn't been a strong suit of any of them. At least for me, I found the 100th cinched corset lingerie look of Violet just as boring as Ginger's 100th big hair '50s inspired dress or Pearl's 100th garter belt and panty look or Miss Fame's 100th simple gown or Max's 100th old Hollywood glam or Jaidynn's 100th bodysuit with a choker etc. No one this season really managed to wow me with runway, both because of a strong lack of variety and because none of them know how to properly walk a runway.

Yeah, I agree that I was a bit too harsh on Ginger there. She definitely inhabits a particular, mid-century Modern, Tracy Turnblad-cum-Elizabeth Taylor, "high hair for Jesus", aesthetic and it's always polished. I would like to see her push it further to its extremes, even if her body type  (both short and heavy, with weight concentrated in the belly) makes a lot of silhouettes difficult or impossible. She's a great queen in virtually every aspect and very beautiful, so I'd simply like her to be even better. I stand by my stance, however, that Kennedy - in spite of her many talents and her beauty - has worn a few of the most abhorrent garments on RuPaul's Drag Race that were not made as part of a challenge. Her chicken outfit and the fluffy green gown make Santino's overstated criticisms of Pandora Boxx in Season 2 - or Alyssa Edwards in Season 5 - seem particularly ridiculous in comparison.

I actually think Katya was the only queen this season to serve a wide variety of looks on the runway, even if she wore only one wig, essentially, the whole season. Her Slavic folk princess nude illusion outfit was very different from her '60s pill-box hat stewardess "jet set eleganza" look, which was very different from her "Britney at 40" leather and lace runway, which was very different from her campy "Baberaham Lincoln" and death-by-shark looks, which was very different from her shiny green Russian trophy wife gown. They're all unified by the 80% sexy, 20% disgusting sensibility, but were very varied. That aspect of her performance is not appreciated a whole lot in odes to Katya, and unfortunately didn't factor into the judges' decision to cut her at 5th.

Edited by vrocotamy
  • Love 5
(edited)

I stand by my stance, however, that Kennedy - in spite of her many talents and her beauty - has worn a few of the most abhorrent garments on RuPaul's Drag Race that were not made as part of a challenge.

Kennedy has definitely had some huge stinkers, but I think her look in this episode and the Snatch Game are probably top 5 of the season and among the best we've ever seen pageant girls put out. Like a lot of the pageant girls on the show, she was extremely hit or miss in looks.

But yeah, Katya was definitely the most versatile in her styling, even if she had a strong pull towards what I can only call 'whore chic'.

Overall I wish if everyone was going to be some repetitive this year on the runway, they would at least remember that Bianca looks were flawless despite the repetition.

Edited by snakenax
  • Love 2

Say "Thrown/threw under the bus" one more time in Untucked, Pearl. At least Violet said her piece and then shut up about being betrayed or whatever on the runway rather quickly in comparison.

At least Pearl didn't mess up the phrase like other reality shows where people have been thrown "OVER THE BUS" and "UNDER THE ROAD". Bitches getting thrown everywhere these days.

• Love 6

Say "Thrown/threw under the bus" one more time in Untucked, Pearl. At least Violet said her piece and then shut up about being betrayed or whatever on the runway rather quickly in comparison.

At least Pearl didn't mess up the phrase like other reality shows where people have been thrown "OVER THE BUS" and "UNDER THE ROAD". Bitches getting thrown everywhere these days.

And now you've just made me miss Joslyn Fox.

• Love 2

I think Ginger and Pearl both came out of the runway speeches and Untucked looking pretty bad. It was like a DO NOT manual for conflict resolution. Pearl kept raking Ginger over the coals and rather absurdly bemoaning the unfairness of competition, and Ginger kept demanding that Pearl be not mad at her, instead of either just letting her statement stand or apologizing for it. Some might disagree, but I think it was tacky that Ginger so explicitly called out her competitors' personal faults, especially if Pearl confided in her as a friend. I don't know what the standard is in pageants, but the classy, professional way to go about the runway speech would have been to give a pointed critique of Violet or Pearl's capacities as demonstrated by the show's challenges and runways, by comparison to her demonstrated strengths. At the same time, Pearl is just way too thin-skinned and clearly doesn't understand (or can't deal with) the trials and travails of competition. And, I'm sorry, Pearl (and Violet), but there's no such thing as an artist - especially a performing artist - who isn't in constant competition for professional opportunities. It comes with the territory.

• Love 2

I've had it with Ginger - officially. I don't like how she made it seem like she was forced to talk shit about her competitors, when in fact, she gave a very clear pass on criticizing Kennedy. Either say something and stand by it, or acknowledge you made a mistake. I don't like how she had to have it both ways, and then insisted to Pearl and Violet that she loves them and wishes she never said anything of the sort, and then told Pearl in private that she wished it would be them and Kennedy in the top three. She's just telling people what she thinks they want to hear and it's shady.

I'll take unapologetic bitch Violet any day. She's what I wish everyone else was when they claim they're just "being real." She speaks her mind when it's time, but doesn't go out of her way to hurt people, nor does she find out what people are insecure about and go after them on that topic. I like that she encouraged Kennedy after Kennedy had just criticized her without remorse, because Violet doesn't really care about if she's being fair or if she's holding the right grudge.

I'd still be okay with a Ginger win, but I think Violet is a much more interesting, sympathetic person. I also have to say that, despite Ginger's claims, there have been better singers and actors. Notably Jinkx Monsoon, who is more talented than Ginger in virtually every way.

• Love 12

I feel like I'd have to see Jinkx and Ginger in some kind of Broadway vaudevillian off to decide who is more talented, but I agree that Jinkx certainly came across as--at the absolute least--equally talented as Ginger in a similar way. 

I like Violet better than Ginger. Violet is my favorite personality and aesthetic and as a fellow performer, I really admire her self-containment. You need that utter faith in yourself! However, I'm still hoping Ginger wins the show. I think Ginger outperformed Violet in the competition and that current Ginger is a more multi-dimensional performer than current Violet. What I want for Violet, though, is for her to put some of her increased booking fee into movement and acting classes because I think Violet is just at the beginning of her potential. I loved when she told her younger self to get a goddamn ballet class. That is what I wish I could tell my younger self, too! 

Between Kennedy and Pearl would be a coin flip to me. Kennedy out-danced Pearl and IMHO had the stronger runway outfit, but I thought Pearl outperformed Kennedy and had the better speech. Also, Pearl was pretty fun and unexpected in that final lip sync. I don't think either had a chance at victory, so 4th vs. 3rd not such a big deal. I'm fine with Pearl getting 3rd over Kennedy just for RuPaul putting Pearl through that speak-to-your-young-child picture moment, which was pretty brutal to watch. 

• Love 3