Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E27: Live Finale, Part 1

• Start Topic

Here is the song list for tonight from MJ's

Sawyer Fredericks – Team Pharrell – Old Man by Neil Young – Download from iTunes
Sawyer Fredericks – Team Pharrell – Please by Ray LaMontagne (unreleased) – Original Song – Download from iTunes
Sawyer Fredericks + Pharrell Williams – Team Pharrell – Summer Breeze by Seals & Croft – Download from iTunes
Koryn Hawthorne – Team Pharrell – It’s a Man’s World – Download from iTunes
Koryn Hawthorne – Team Pharrell – Bright Fire – Original Song – Download from iTunes
Koryn Hawthorne + Pharrell Williams – Team Pharrell – We Can Work it Out by The Beatles – Download from iTunes
Joshua Davis – Team Adam – Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen – Download from iTunes
Joshua Davis – Team Adam – The Workingman’s Hymn by Joshua Davis (Original Song) – Download from iTunes
Joshua Davis + Adam Levine – Team Adam – Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes by Paul Simon – Download from iTunes
Meghan Linsey – Team Blake – When a Man Loves a Woman by Percy Sledge – Download from iTunes
Meghan Linsey – Team Blake – Change My Mind – Original Song – Download from iTunes
Meghan Linsey + Blake Shelton– Team Blake – Freeway of Love by Aretha Franklin – Download from iTunes

Oh well.....if this is correct, I only correctly forecast one of the song selections for the finale.  I had picked Old Man, by Neil Young.  Something about it said Sawyer to me.  I did't guess any of the others though. 

So it looks like Joshua is getting to use one of his own original songs. What a great opportunity for him to showcase his own work. Here's a video of the song from a few years ago.

• Love 1

Meghan's singing her own original too. 

Sawyer is singing a song that was written by his favorite artist, Ray Lamontagne. I'm a little surprised he didn't push for his own original, but my guess is that when given a song by Ray, he was okay with it. 

CWB and Matt both sang original songs, but they didn't write them. I'm not sure if Damien or Chris sang original songs, too.

Thanks. For some reason I had thought Matt wrote his. Not sure if I totally made that up on my own or if the show tried to give off that impression. 

Thanks. For some reason I had thought Matt wrote his. Not sure if I totally made that up on my own or if the show tried to give off that impression. 

I thought the show, specifically Adam, gave that impression by saying something like, "Now we've gotten to hear the real Matt McAndrew (or whatever his name is--I never remember like the encyclopedic memory people here)." I'm not sure Adam meant to mislead--it's kind of ambiguous--but I definitely thought Matt had written from the way he said it until I came here.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sawyer and Pharrell's Summer Breeze.....I am not the only who thought that sounded like ass right? (Can something "sound" like ass?)  Well it did!

Did Christina sound less than excited or complimentary with her first comments for Meghan and even Koryn somewhat?  I don't know...maybe because she's a little miffed because doesn't have anyone left in the competition but she didn't sound like she was feeling it...and seemed somewhat blase about it maybe. Then later got more complimentary though.

Loved Meghan's teal jacket/blazer. Want!  (the one she had on with her song with Blake).

Edited by Valny
  • Love 3

I still think Sawyer is going to win. I liked his interview session with Carson more than I liked any of his performances. I feel like I've seen all of these performances before, but I think Carson did a good job of showing a little more of Sawyer. He seems like a good kid and he does have talent, so I can't get too upset about a Sawyer win. That and Pharrell is so lovable. 

I don't like the sound of Koryn's voice. She sounded wobbly when she wasn't belting on her single. I'm sure Pharrell made the recording sound awesome.

Boring Joshua does the most overused talent competition song ever. Yawn.

I wish Meghan showed some more softness, but she's still my overall favorite. She's far more exciting than Sawyer.

• Love 2

Congrats on your win Sawyer? I wonder how many times that kid has closed the show lol. It's not his fault but this show is reminding me more and more of American idol with the producers pushing who they want to to win. Not that he's not worthy, which he totally is, I just wish that the favoritism was a tad less obvious.

I loved Koryn tonight, she tore that stage UP for her first song. I also really enjoyed Josh as well, I've been pulling for him all season.

• Love 1

"I wish Meghan showed some more softness"

I HATE when she goes to her "Janis shred" or whatever she thinks it is. It's just too jarring a change up from her otherwise very nice tone. I wouldn't mind some shred, but what she does is waaaaay too much. It's predictable, and it always takes me out of the song.

• Love 4

I really like that the show allowed Meghan and Joshua to do their own original songs.

The songs that Sawyer and Koryn were not bad. The Ray Lamontagne song is a few years old though and has been released by the artist...does that really qualify as an original?

Am voting for Joshua tonight. Really liked all of his performances. Hallelujah is overdone but I liked what Joshua did with it.

Pharrell should not be allowed to do duets ever again.

• Love 1
(edited)

I really like Josh! I loved all three of his performances and was glad that he sang Hallelujah because I thought that would work for him.

Megan also had a great night with three good performances. And clearly was enjoying singing with Blake.

Sawyer had a great final performance. His original song was boring, I seriously struggled to pay attention. And his preformance with Pherell was funny. He was okay in it but pherell really can't sing.

Koryn her first performance was okay. Her original song I hated ! I really don't like that kind of music. Lastly her and Pherell destroyed a Beatle song, that was the worst song of the night and a disgrace. I really would be okay with anyone but her winning.

Lastly, offensive comment of the night of course goes to pherell what did he mean that as a woman she really owned the band. That was offensive to any women who had sang in that stage.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

As I watch:

Team Adam

Joshua: So he finally sings something with more of a beat to it.  And at least I didn't fall asleep.  That might've been his best one so far, which, unfortunately doesn't say a lot.  Of course, "Hallelujah" goes right back to boring me.  The duet with Adam wasn't much to write home about, either.  

Team Pharrell

Koryn: Loved her first song, but she could've used fewer runs.  Other than that, her vocals were great.  I did love the beat of her song with Pharrell.  They had great chemistry on stage together, and their voices went together quite well.  She did fabulously well with Pharrell's song, too!  Just beautiful!  It really was perfectly written for Koryn and well-performed by her!

Sawyer: I thought his voice and Pharrell's voice mixed well in their duet.  It was nice to see him without his guitar, too.  Oddly, Pharrell was the one who sounded pitchy at points, while Sawyer sounded dead-on.  The original song was lovely.  I was surprised with how well he controlled his voice in it.  His last song sounded pretty damn good, too!  He fought with the band at least once, though.  And I kinda like how the guitars hanging behind him might've been a little way of making fun of him almost always having his.

Team Christina

No one left to perform a song.

Team Blake

Meghan: Her original song wasn't bad at all!  Her vocals were beautiful, and she looked very lovely as she sang it.  Her song with Blake was full of energy, and the vocals were decent.  She pretty much cleaned up with her last song, though.  She got the audience going, for sure!

I still think this is Sawyer's to lose, but Koryn probably impressed me the most tonight, followed by Meghan.

• Love 1
(edited)

Is there any way Sawyer doesn't win this thing?  I like him, Meghan and Koryn (Joshua has a nice voice, but dude is really boring...), so it's hard to go wrong this year with any winner (or, ya know, Sawyer...)

Summer breeze was a poor song choice - goes nowhere (energy-wise, I mean), and not a good song for blending their voices very seamlessly...

Oh - and those music videos were super cheesy...eek.

Edited by lyric

I don't think Pharrell can blend his voice seamlessly. Seriously, we've got Christina Aguilera on the panel..and instead of hearing her, we hear Pharrell twice..I love the guy, but god..

"Please" was self released, so that's probably why it could count as an original. 

Personally, and I'm not just saying this because I'm a fan..I think Sawyer won the night. "Please" and "Old Man" were great performances. Meghan just shouted..the whole night. I'm not a big Joshua fan, but his original was pretty good. And he had the best duet with Adam. Although I thought Hallelujah wasn't great. (In fact, that disappointed me because I thought it would be my favorite Joshua performance of the season.) Koryn sang well tonight, but I didn't like her original..and when she doesn't go for the big notes it's a let down on iconic songs, IMO. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I don't think they put Sawyer last because they want him to win. That's been a given for weeks. At this point, I'm guessing they keep putting him last so that none of his fans turn off their TVs once he's done.

Megan really bugs me. I keep having to fast forward through her songs.

Koryn has such a low voice, she sounds better singing men's songs.

Pharrell seems to like Koryn a lot more than he likes Sawyer.

Edited to correct (I meant his duet with Sawyer was awful!!) But their duet was awful. And it wasn't her fault. Sometimes he kind of rapped. Sometimes he attempted to sing, which was even worse. Somewhere out there Seals and Croft were probably regretting giving permission to use their song.

Joshua's original song was quite catchy. Somewhat hack, but catchy.

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 6

I don't think they put Sawyer last because they want him to win. That's been a given for weeks. At this point, I'm guessing they keep putting him last so that none of his fans turn off their TVs once he's done.

Yep! The name of the game is ratings.Sawyer is selling like hotcakes. I suspect he's pulling in big votes as well. He's young, he's cute and he really is talented. They want all of his fans to watch until the last minute, not turn off the TV because Sawyer is done singing.

• Love 4

Sawyer already has 2 songs in the top 10. He might even temporarily overtake Taylor only a day after her new video.

Meghan is the closest non-Sawyer contestant at #13 for her original.

We'll see.

But even if he does he'll fall the next day. Matt's song went: 1, 2, 5, 7, 23, 34.

Craig's went: 2, 7, 9, 28, 69.

(edited)

Charts as of one hour after the show - http://www.lpb5.com/lpb1024.php?Region=143441&Albums=0&ref=lpb2&t=1432007963:

3. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "Please"

7. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "Old Man"

11.  Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "Change My Mind"

21. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "The Workingman's Hymn"

28. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "Hallelujah"

33. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "Bright Fire"

35. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "When a Man Loves a Woman"

42. Sawyer Fredericks and Pharrell Williams - Team Pharrell - "Summer Breeze"

49. Joshua Davis and Adam Levine - Team Adam - "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes"

50. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "It's a Man's Man's Man's World"

147. Meghan Linsey and Blake Shelton - Team Blake - "Freeway of Love"

186. Koryn Hawthorne and Pharrell Williams - Team Pharrell - "We Can Work it Out"

These numbers . . . Sawyer's totally winning, and Koryn's totally going out in fourth.  Meghan and Joshua are pretty much fighting for second and third.  Assuming the duets count, too, though, then I think Joshua's taking second and Meghan third.  If not, then Meghan's gonna take second and Joshua third.

Edited by Donny Ketchum

Charts as of one hour after the show:

3. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "Please"

7. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "Old Man"

11.  Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "Change My Mind"

21. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "The Workingman's Hymn"

28. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "Hallelujah"

33. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "Bright Fire"

35. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "When a Man Loves a Woman"

42. Sawyer Fredericks and Pharrell Williams - Team Pharrell - "Summer Breeze"

49. Joshua Davis and Adam Levine - Team Adam - "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes"

50. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "It's a Man's Man's Man's World"

147. Meghan Linsey and Blake Shelton - Team Blake - "Freeway of Love"

186. Koryn Hawthorne and Pharrell Williams - Team Pharrell - "We Can Work it Out"

These numbers . . . Sawyer's totally winning, and Koryn's totally going out in fourth.  Meghan and Joshua are pretty much fighting for second and third.  Assuming the duets count, too, though, then I think Joshua's taking second and Meghan third.  If not, then Meghan's gonna take second and Joshua third.

I see Meghan has reached 10. IMO, the duet's won't be the deciding factor between Meghan and Joshua. There's also the season long totals and other forms of voting to take into account. I'm hopeful for Meghan although I can't underestimate Joshua. I don't get his appeal at all but quite a few people are raving about him.

Sawyer's been my favorite since the beginning but I've been kind 'meh' on his song choices this season.  Not that they've been bad, I just thought there were others that would fit better. Tonight, though, I thought they were perfect.  "Old Man" is my favorite of his since his blind. I doubt it's possible, but I hope that one somehow knocks T.Swift's song down for a few hours...or minutes. Mostly because I love that Neil Young song (and really, really, really dislike "Bad Blood").

• Love 1

I would be fine with anyone but Josh. If boring ass bland Joshua wins The Voice, I give up on these singing competitions. I'm serious. Just put any WGWG on stage and call it a day. Sawyer is a WGWG but he's young and unique. Josh has a good voice but he is tired in every way.

(edited)

Charts as of two hours after the show - http://www.lpb5.com/lpb1024.php?Region=143441&Albums=0&ref=lpb2&t=1432007963:

2. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "Please"

4. Sawyer Fredericks - Team Pharrell - "Old Man"

9.  Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "Change My Mind"

15. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "The Workingman's Hymn"

23. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "Hallelujah"

26. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "Bright Fire"

27. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "When a Man Loves a Woman"

37. Sawyer Fredericks and Pharrell Williams - Team Pharrell - "Summer Breeze"

43. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "It's a Man's Man's Man's World"

45. Joshua Davis and Adam Levine - Team Adam - "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes"

122. Meghan Linsey and Blake Shelton - Team Blake - "Freeway of Love"

166. Koryn Hawthorne and Pharrell Williams - Team Pharrell - "We Can Work it Out"

Edited by Donny Ketchum

Purely my opinion, but I thought Koryn won the night.  She did a great job on a James Brown classic, carried her duet with Pharrell and owned her original song.  I loved what she did tonight--and I'm a Joshua fan!

I really enjoyed Joshua's original song and was delighted that The Voice allowed him to perform his own composition.  (Meghan too.)  What I'm curious about is why Sawyer did not perform one of his own compositions.  While it's cool that he received a song from Ray LaMontagne, I would think he'd have liked to sing one of his own.  Perhaps the producers just deemed his originals too weak?  Anyway, I've never before made an iTunes purchase of a Voice contestant's song.  This is just the way I feel but I'd much rather have the recording by the original artist, not a cover by a reality show contestant.  I'm buying Joshua's original tonight though.  I thought it was a very good song on its own merits and also very well performed.  

I felt that tonight's show overall was very entertaining.  

Fait Accompli noun fait ac·com·pli \ˈfā-tə-ˌkäm-ˈplē, ˈfe-, ˈfe-ˌta-, -ˌkōⁿ(m)-, British usually -ˈkäm-(ˌ)plē\

: something that has been done and cannot be changed.

Used in a sentence:

After watching the Voice, it is fait accompli that Sawyer Fredericks will win the show.

Don't quit your (singing) day job, Pharrell. You might as well rapped your lyrics in your duos with Koryn and Sawyer.

Poor Christina. All dressed up in black and no where to sing.

In their duet, Blake tried so hard not to overtake Meghan's over screeching that he nearly out sung her.

Joshua's working man song was very Springsteenesque. It's too bad his singing didn't reach that level.

Based on iTunescharts, # of T5s on iTunes for Voice contestants w/multiple:
Sawyer 8
Cassadee 5 *
Christina 4 (Lost to Josh)
Josh 3 *
Terry 3 (Lost to Cassadee)
Danielle 3 *
Tessanne 3 *
Matt 3 (Lost to Craig)
Craig 2 *
Swons 2 (Lost to Danielle)
Since S3, only Tessanne was alone in her season.

Based on iTunescharts, # of T5s on iTunes for Voice contestants w/multiple:

Sawyer 8

Cassadee 5 *

Christina 4 (Lost to Josh)

Josh 3 *

Terry 3 (Lost to Cassadee)

Danielle 3 *

Tessanne 3 *

Matt 3 (Lost to Craig)

Craig 2 *

Swons 2 (Lost to Danielle)

Since S3, only Tessanne was alone in her season.

Can I ask why top 5? Doesn't top 10 get the bonus? I think Jacquie got a few top 10's Tessanne's season. I remember Michelle getting a few top 10's Danielle's season too.

Koryn's original song made me think of the Southpark episode in which the boys start a Christian rock band.  Cartman explains that you can take a love song and just substitute "Jesus" for "baby".  

• Love 5

I see Meghan has reached 10. IMO, the duet's won't be the deciding factor between Meghan and Joshua. There's also the season long totals and other forms of voting to take into account. I'm hopeful for Meghan although I can't underestimate Joshua. I don't get his appeal at all but quite a few people are raving about him.

For me I think it's singing style and to an extent song choice. I enjoyed Meghan's first song - the original song, but I really disliked "Freeway of Love" and for some reason her voice on "When A Man Loves A Woman" was too harsh for my ears. On the other hand I enjoyed both of Joshua's songs and "Diamonds On the Souls Of Her Shoes" (Is Adam the only one who knows how to pick a duet song?) and thought it fit Joshua's voice well - unlike the other duet songs.

As soon as I heard they were going to sing "Summer Breeze," I said to hubby "Sawyer isn't going to be able to sing that song well. The range is too high." And poor Koryn - "We Can Work It Out" was just wrong... so so wrong for me, and also for me, Blake Shelton and "Freeway of Love" are not things that would go together... I could imagine like 100 (maybe 1000) other songs that would be a better fit. Just no.However when I heard Josh and Adam were going to sing "Diamonds..." I said "great song. Good choice for Joshua." Song choice can make a big difference for the outcome, but it has more to do with how the song fits the performer than anything for me. For example I reeeeally don't like Neil Young or "Old Man..."  (Please don't aim for the face with the rotten tomatoes ; )  ), but I actually liked the way Sawyer sang the song. I was entirely surprised.

What I'm curious about is why Sawyer did not perform one of his own compositions.  While it's cool that he received a song from Ray LaMontagne, I would think he'd have liked to sing one of his own.  Perhaps the producers just deemed his originals too weak?

It could be that Sawyer couldn't pass up the opportunity to do a song from an idol of his, or as you said, it could be that the producers didn't think his songs were ready yet. I've said elsewhere that Sawyer somewhat reminds me of Taylor Hanson, but not every 16 year old is ready to write a song like older brother Isaac Hanson was at that age. And if Sawyer's songs weren't quite seasoned enough for his style, it was smart of him, the producers, Pharrell or all three to decide to go with a song that was ready for a first original single. I really liked the song, so good choice, in my opinion. I mean it's one thing to write an "Mmmm Bop" * or a "Friday" (Oh how I hate that song, but it was a hit, so...), but something like that doesn't fit Sawyer's style.

* Not to take away from Hanson, some of their songs - especially from the second album - are quite sophisticated in my opinion. I happen to think Hanson was and is very talented. It's amazing what they accomplished at such a young age.

• Love 2

I'm hard of hearing and I still find Megan's voice too loud and grating.  I don't particularly mind that she's had some success before but I find it kind of amusing that she won competing on a previous show, which didn't put her on a permanent track for success, yet somehow she thinks winning another reality show competition will do that for her?  Maybe she's just counting on the exposure opening doors that she hasn't been able to push through before.   Because it's worked so well for other contestants.

I think Sawyer will win, and probably should, but I'm not sure it will be that good for him, again just given the track record of other winners.   I thought his original song was performed okay but I couldn't really understand all the lyrics so I looked them up and decided that it's good he has that  wonderful tone in his voice because otherwise it could have been kind of laughable given how  little connection he has to have to those lyrics.   

(edited)

Charts as of three hours after the show - http://www.lpb5.com/lpb1024.php?Region=143441&Albums=0&ref=lpb2&t=1432007963:

8.  Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "Change My Mind"

13. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "The Workingman's Hymn"

16. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "Hallelujah"

17. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "Bright Fire"

21. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "When a Man Loves a Woman"

31. Sawyer Fredericks and Pharrell Williams - Team Pharrell - "Summer Breeze"

37. Joshua Davis and Adam Levine - Team Adam - "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes"

40. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "It's a Man's Man's Man's World"

108. Meghan Linsey and Blake Shelton - Team Blake - "Freeway of Love"

144. Koryn Hawthorne and Pharrell Williams - Team Pharrell - "We Can Work it Out"

Koryn's fans are really rallying now because her songs are climbing.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
(edited)

Sawyer's original songs are beautiful, IMO. But they are also just him and his guitar, without a full accompaniment. One of them is in the itunes top 1000. (And his original album is #3 on itunes singer/songwriter chart. Republic is going to have to do a terrible job to not profit off of him.)

They also involve a lot of head voice which I don't think he can do right now with his voice change. 

I also question the legal aspect of it. Pharrell probably suggested not to involve his original material because of it. I remember Michelle Chamuel discussing why it wasn't a good idea to do it. (I could be wrong, but I think you have to give some of the rights to your songs away.)

Speaking of Hanson, I'm pretty sure they wrote mmmbop 3 or 4 years before the song was even released. Which is incredible to think about. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 2

I was in and out of this last show. Only bothered to watch Sawyer's performances. I'm hoping Koryn comes in fourth. She and Joshua definitely don't deserve to be in the finale.

Am I the only one who didn't really care for Pharrell this season? I think he felt he had something to prove this time considering what a disaster he was last season, and I ended up turned off. Not Adam levels of dislike, but the bloom is off the rose for me.

• Love 1
(edited)

While I didn't really like the arrangement on Hallelujah, I did love that Joshua sang it like he actually paid attention to the lyrics and understood what the song was saying.  A few years ago, back when it seemed like a rule that Hallelujah must be performed at least once per season on every singing competition, it annoyed the hell out of me that people would either go full diva belting it at the top of their lungs or try to make it gospel with some Jesus waves and beatific smiles.  

My favorite version of the song is done by, believe it or not, Bon Jovi (I think I also read somewhere that it was Cohen's favorite as well).

Edited by Sile
  • Love 1
(edited)

Charts as of four hours after the show - http://www.lpb5.com/lpb1024.php?Region=143441&Albums=0&ref=lpb2&t=1432007963:

6.  Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "Change My Mind"

12. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "The Workingman's Hymn"

15. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "Bright Fire"

16. Joshua Davis - Team Adam - "Hallelujah"

17. Meghan Linsey - Team Blake - "When a Man Loves a Woman"

29. Sawyer Fredericks and Pharrell Williams - Team Pharrell - "Summer Breeze"

36. Joshua Davis and Adam Levine - Team Adam - "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes"

38. Koryn Hawthorne - Team Pharrell - "It's a Man's Man's Man's World"

101. Meghan Linsey and Blake Shelton - Team Blake - "Freeway of Love"

136. Koryn Hawthorne and Pharrell Williams - Team Pharrell - "We Can Work it Out"

Koryn's fans are really rallying now because her songs are climbing.

Edited by Donny Ketchum

While I didn't really like the arrangement on Hallelujah, I did love that Joshua sang it like he actually paid attention to the lyrics and understood what the song was saying.  A few years ago, back when it seemed like a rule that Hallelujah must be performed at least once per season on every singing competition, it annoyed the hell out of me that people would either go full diva belting it at the top of their lungs or try to make it gospel with some Jesus waves and beatific smiles.  

My favorite version of the song is done by, believe it or not, Bon Jovi (I think I also read somewhere that it was Cohen's favorite as well).

I didn't like the beginning arrangement Joshua's version of the song, but then it started getting better for me... probably because it started more reminding me of the Bon Jovi arrangement later on. And yes, Bon Jovi's version is my favorite version of this song as well. I've seen Jon sing it live twice now, and it's amazing, in my opinion.*  The song doesn't sound as good to me when I hear a different - even the original - arrangement now. (I'm going to go find it and listen to it after I post, I think.)

And yes, I did also appreciate the feeling that Joshua put into the song.

(* I showed a couple of friends of mine a YouTube recording of the live rendition I saw, saying it was one of my most favorite songs of Bon Jovi's. They watched and then one said (the other agreed) "I've had many people say 'this is their best song' when they showed me a video, but this here, this is their best song.")

• Love 1

Joshua does the most overused talent competition song ever. Yawn.

I, for one, would be happy to never hear "It's a Man's World" ever again.  There are millions of songs out there; why do competitions use the same ones over and over?

• Love 2

I, for one, would be happy to never hear "It's a Man's World" ever again.  There are millions of songs out there; why do competitions use the same ones over and over?

Amen!  I just ughed when I heard it was going to be on the show, and double ughed when I heard Hallelujah would be on.

Koryn's tone is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  It is actually unpleasant to listen to.  I'm not joking, my dog gets up and leaves the room when she sings.  I cannot understand how she has made it this far.

I would really like Meghan if she wouldn't do so much grit, and I love grit, but there is a time and place and that isn't spread out over mostly the entire song.

Joshua bores the ever loving snot out of me.

I'm meh on Sawyer.  I liked him a lot more at first but now he just seems so one trick pony.  All his stuff is so much same.

• Love 1

Not going to lie, I bought Sawyer's two songs in a New York minute last night. I am not really a Neil Young fan but that song was perfect for him. And a previously "unreleased" Ray LaMontagne song? 

giphy.gif

Both Koryn and Meghan seem to sing in nothing but growls and full voice. I much prefered Meghan on "Girl Crush," compared to her grime and grit tonight...but I did like her original song. 

Speaking of original songs, I really loved Josh's. It was giving me total John Cougar Mellencamp "Little Pink Houses" flashbacks...and I loved it. I didn't really care for his version of "Hallelujah," but I did think he had the best duet of the night. 

I couldn't believe how little they cut to Christina tonight. I wish we had gotten more of her trademark back handed compliments. Honest Christina is the best Christina. 

(edited)

You know what they say... Different Strokes for Different Folks.

I actually like Joshua.  I think he does really well in his genre.  There are times when I want to listen to some folksy/Americana music.  I really liked his original song last night.  I bought it and I bought 2 other songs from him for the time when that style of music strikes me.  Others may find him boring, but I hope that his time on The Voice gives him a boost in his career.  (And I hope his cute little family gets a new car out of it.)

I don't really care for Diva/Belter Style nor Country so Megan has not been my cuppa tea.  I liked Koryn's "Make it rain" but that's been about it.

My 8 year old is rooting hard for Sawyer,  I hope he wins or there will be no joy in Kcat1971town tonight.  A Joshua second place would be icing on the cake.

If somehow Megan pulls out a win I will be extremely disappointed.  Not only do I not care for her style, another "Blake win" does nothing for the show.  

Edited for spelling because I do know the difference between their, there and they're!

Edited by Kcat1971
  • Love 1

Who is buying this horrendous version of Summer Breeze? How is it the best selling of the duets? This goes to show that this season Sawyer could literally do a recording with a dog screeching and someone running their nails on a blackboard and it would go top forty.

• Love 3

I really enjoyed Meghan's original song. I thought the lyrics were great and they kept my attention. This is really the true test - it's all well and good to sing wonderfully familiar songs and do that well, but what about something we have never heard and can listen to without any bias or frame of reference? I'd buy Meghan's song and isn't that the whole point? I am willing to spend my own money on a song that I enjoyed and want to hear again. I think, too, I'd be willing to listen to Sawyer sing his own songs (whether he himself wrote them or someone else). Koryn - absolutely not. I am completely NOT interested in hearing her sing original music, based on what I've heard so far. Can she sing? Yes. Do I care for her singing, does it please me? No. Josh, I'm on the fence. I thought his original song was catchy but extremely trite. There didn't seem to be anything unique about it. Even the little glimpse of the video was in black and white and I think he was in a white t-shirt, looking very much like Springsteen. If I want to see or hear Springsteen-type music, I won't seek out Josh to do so, I'll go right to the source. Of course it's all subjective, which is what makes music so great - there's no wrong or right. Whatever you like, you like.

I'm fine with Sawyer winning, as I don't think it will necessarily put anyone else at a huge disadvantage. Only time will tell, of course. For me, the question will be whether these singers can sustain enough of my interest to get me to pay for their music, whether they've won the competition or not. Who knows, perhaps I'll hear an orignal Koryn song and like it, but I don't think I'll seek it out.

• Love 2