Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E27: Live Finale, Part 1

• Start Topic

(edited)

Good question. Who makes money off The Voice downloads? Just the show, or does the artist get a cut? If not, that's quite a scam that Mark Burnett has going. That rivals the "contract" that American Idol slaps on each of its winners. More like a ball and chain strapped to their ankle for a decade or so.

So, should we all wear hats with long, gleaming tresses attached, to celebrate Sawyer's coronation tonight? I mean, we've all had time to buy them. This win has been predetermined since the Blinds. It's so obvious that I don't even care to DVR the show anymore. I just flip back and forth between The Voice and DWTS, and if I miss something...ehhhh. No big deal. Both shows have so much filler that I still manage to catch all the routines on DWTS and most of the songs on The Voice.

And WORD to those that mentioned the overuse of Hallelujah and It's a Man's World on singing shows. I groaned when Adam first said the word, "Hallelujah," and it's a beautiful song. Overplayed.

I Tunes at 10:00 AM, Tuesday:

2. Sawyer: Please
3. Sawyer: Old Man
5. Meghan: Change My Mind
9. Joshua: Working Man's Hymn
13. Joshua: Hallelujah
15. Meghan: When A Man Loves a Woman
16, Koryn: Bright Fire
20. Sawyer and Pharrell: Summer Breeze (REALLY? It sounded like ass. At least the download is the studio version which has probably been Autotuned into submission)
26. Josh and Adam: Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes
31. Koryn: It's a Man's Man's Man's World
95. Meghan and Blake: Freeway of Love (ugh. Being beaten by a bunch of Sawyer retreads from the past couple weeks and some Meghan and Joshua past songs, as well. Bad song choice.)

Edited by ChicksDigScars
(edited)

I liked Sawyer's original song and Meghan's original song. I also liked Joshua and Adam's duet. The other coach duets were terrible to me. Summer Breeze and Freeway of Love were Just.Not.Good! I don't know why Blake thought When a Man Loves a Woman was going to be a top seller. I love, love, love Neil Young, so for me Sawyer took the ambiance and great guitar playing out of that song, but I guess that helped make it his own. I really noticed Meghan's screeching on her second song, and to me she is just an older version of Jacquie Lee. These two gals are going to blow out their vocal chords if they don't reign it in more. Sometimes less is more.

I'm still sad that Christina didn't have someone in the finale, whether it was India or Kimberly. Koryn just isn't ready for prime time to me.

Edited by Sammich63

I'm  just imagining that final moment on Tuesday when Sawyer is announced the winner.  He throws his hat up into the air -- and his hair goes with it.  He reveals himself to be a 53-year-old garden gnome.

And I LOVE Sawyer.

• Love 6
(edited)

Jacquie actually understands vocal dynamics though. She doesn't start on full blast she builds up to it. She's also got some finesse to her voice. Meghan's voice is just like a very loud bulldozer. I love her tone..but she's as uninteresting to me as Josh..who also doesn't do phrasing or dynamics well...but in the opposite way as her. 

And yea..having Christina Aguilera as a coach, and not having her sing a duet with someone...what a waste. 

Sawyer's probably sold about 600K. (He was at around 490,000 from playoffs-finale night, but I figure with the 3 finale performances plus Battles/Audition/Knockout, he should be around 600K) The artists get a cut, the union would have a fit if they didn't. I'm pretty sure it's 9 cents per song (which is typical for a singer on an itunes song.) 

Edited by mercfan3

This is an imperfect answer, but here are Kworb.net's weekly sales estimates so far for the week each song was performed:

Sawyer's A Thousand Years 44k. Sawyer's For What It's Worth 37k. Meghan Linsey's Tennessee Whiskey 29k.

Sawyer's Shine On 39k (Was #27 in downloads of all songs that week), Meghan's Amazing Grace 31k (#35 download). iTunes peaks around #s 4 & 6.
Sawyer's Simple Man 56k (Was #18 in downloads of all songs that week), Joshua's Fields of Gold & Kimberly's Creep 22k (#39 and #42 downloads). iTunes peaks were around #s 2, 7, and 12.
Koryn's Make it Rain 48k (#22 download), Sawyer's Iris 40k (#25 download). iTunes peaks around #s 3 and 5.
Sawyer's Imagine 45k (#25 download), Kimberly's House of the Rising Sun & Meghan's Girl Crush 43k (#27 and #28 downloads). iTunes peaks were around #s 3, 4, and 5.
Sawyer's Trouble 32k (#39 download). iTunes peak around #17.
Sawyer's Have You Ever Seen the Rain 28k (#40 download). iTunes peak around #13.

Last season, Matt McAndrew's The Blower's Daughter got 91k and was the #8 seller of its week.

Good question. Who makes money off The Voice downloads? Just the show, or does the artist get a cut? If not, that's quote a scam that Mark Burnett has going. 

I remember a few contestants a few seasons ago mentioning that they do get paid....but it's nowhere near what anyone may think lol. And they don't get that money up front, it took months for them to see ANY kind of money from Itunes downloads. 

• Didn't someone here post a link a while back that said the artists get $.10 for every download? That's about what I'd expect (1000 downloads = $100 = not exactly getting rich from this.)

I thought Joshua was at his best last night and his duet with Adam was far and away the best duet and song choice.  I guess Pharrell's choices had to work around his vocal limitations, but I still think he could have found something better, esp. better than Summer Breeze.

Doesn't matter. Sawyer will/should (imo) win, with Koryn fourth. I think Meaghan has little subtlety and, while soul singing is one of my favorites, she isn't. Koryn either. But I think Meghan will be second and Joshua third. Sawyer may actually have "it" and go on to do well, hard to say, but he'll be the most deserving winner in terms of dominance throughout a season.

• Love 1

I'm  just imagining that final moment on Tuesday when Sawyer is announced the winner.  He throws his hat up into the air -- and his hair goes with it.  He reveals himself to be a 53-year-old garden gnome.

Driving in to work this morning, I was thinking that he really looks like a garden gnome!

But the kid can sing!  I rarely watch the TV while the Voice is on, just listen while I"m doing other things and Sawyer's voice is the real deal.  If you heard him unexpectedly on the radio, you'd listen to the whole song, not change the channel.  He deserves to win this, and I hate the D word.

• Love 2
Sawyer is announced the winner.  He throws his hat up into the air -- and his hair goes with it.  He reveals himself to be a 53-year-old garden gnome.

Well, tossing his hat/hair in the air is more emotion than I imagine  we'll get. "And the winner is.........pause......pause.....Meghan rolls her eyes because she's over the drama and she knows it's not her.....pause.....pause.....SAWYER FREDERICKS!" 

Sawyer smiles and looks around. He's thrilled, America. Wait no, he really is. 

I doubt we'll get a face in hands, collapse on the floor, or fists in the air. Just a smile and a cut to Mom and Dad, who will actually be the ones reacting.

I do expect a Sawyer, Megan, Joshua, Koryn finsh and in that order.  And I'm fine with that.  I just hope that Koryn  place 4th.  

This morning I heard a radio guy say that if there is an upset on this and Megan were to take the win, (which I don't think is possible.) that Blake would probably strip down naked and run onto the stage!  I like the visual and kind of agree with the guy. lol

Contestants in the past have said they get royalties. I don't recall anyone disclosing how much.

I don't know if the show makes much profit from the itunes sales. There are a lot of costs involved such as song rights, use of recording studio, the people involved in putting the recordings together, etc.

Josh and Megan will get songwriting royalties too for each of their original songs downloads.

Forgot to mention, I loved having Sawyer covering Old Man. Definitely the only song I've loved of his since the Blinds. It's an amazing song and it fit his voice and style really well.

• Love 2

Who is buying this horrendous version of Summer Breeze? How is it the best selling of the duets? This goes to show that this season Sawyer could literally do a recording with a dog screeching and someone running their nails on a blackboard and it would go top forty.

I am :-) The live version wasn't great, with Pharrell being pitchy, etc. but the iTunes version is very good. 

(edited)

Koryn opened the show with her best performance. That's how you cover a song that's been covered a ton of times--with total control and with her own style. This was the only song she's done that suits her. Those placid church songs do nothing for her voice, but everything for her votes I guess.

I'm fine with the foregone conclusion of Sawyer winning. I had to laugh, though, at Christina's shading the way The Voice works in her praise of Joshua. She basically said: "Your growth has been so wonderful to watch--unlike other artists who might be in the same category as you and don't change but continue to flourish." Heh.

Christina was a lil salty the whole night with the constant references to when Koryn was on her team and when she sang that song first, but she kept it cute. It does suck that she didn't perform and the rest of the coach performances were dullsville.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1

And I LOVE Sawyer.

This gets my vote for best/funniest post this season!

Before I realized there'd be four finalists this season, my picks were Kim, India and Sawyer to make it to the finals. Not happy that I got two wrong and that one will probably be the winner.

I've always thought Xtina would definitely have someone in the finals this time and that if she didn't win this season, it's a good chance she'd never win. Hope I'm totally wrong.

Has there been word who is coming back next season yet?

My general take on the night was that Sawyer fully justified his frontrunner status, with two of the best performances of the evening.  But could song selection have been any lamer?  With that collection of singing-show standards and 40 year old dirges, is it any wonder that this show has so much trouble producing successful artists?  Anyway, breaking it down:

Original Songs

While I´m glad that they allowed artists to sing their own music and none of the four original songs were bad, I felt that overall these weren't quite as good as last season's.  For me, easily the best was the song Ray Lamontange gave to Sawyer. 

Meghan's original was okay, though I didn't find the hook to be quite as memorable as Blake wanted us to think it was. 

Josh's song sounded like Springsteen-lite; very derivative and lacking in the kind of grit and punch Springsteen would have given it.  

Pharrell saddled Koryn with a song that really didn't suit her voice very much (and no real hook at all), but I did enjoy just how much fun she had with it.  It was kind of refreshing given how serious and gut wrenching so many of her performances have been.

Coaches's Duets

These were mostly just downright bad.  By far the worst was Sawyer & Pharrell's almost unlistenable version of Summer Breeze (award for worst song choice of the night). 

Meghan & Blake were total mess, coming across as if they never rehearsed that performance.  But at least Blake didn't try to out-sing his contestant the way Adam did, despite which they still managed to suck all the life that Paul Simon puts into that song. 

There was certainly no danger of Pharrell outsinging Koryn as she ran vocal circles around him.  I hated the arrangement (which should probably be credited to Stevie Wonder), but at least they were entertaining.

Covers

It's a Man's Man's World, followed by Hallelujah, followed by When a Man Loves a Woman?  Did I miss the part where they said that this was a contest to see who could pick the most overdone song in TV singing competition history?   At least Sawyer picked something that hasn't been done before (and did a very good job with it). 

Of the other three, I thought Koryn was by far the best.  She came closest to matching some of the great covers of Man's World we've had previously on these shows.  Meghan was doing fine until the last 30 seconds or so when she lost control and yet again over-sang to the extreme. 

But it's Joshua who gets the prize for providing us with the absolute worst (by a huge margin) version of Hallelujah that we've ever had on The Voice.  What he did to the melody should be a crime, plus he completely skipped the key falsetto part towards the end. As I said after Koryn did the same thing with Dream On, if you can't hit the most critical notes in a song, then pick another one. 

Should be the order of finish:  Sawyer, Koryn, Meghan and Josh

Will be the order of finish: Sawyer, Meghan, Josh and Koryn

Most likely to have a successful post-show career:  Sawyer

Least likely to have a successful post-show career: Josh

• Love 2

Not going to lie, I bought Sawyer's two songs in a New York minute last night. I am not really a Neil Young fan but that song was perfect for him. And a previously "unreleased" Ray LaMontagne song? 

giphy.gif

Both Koryn and Meghan seem to sing in nothing but growls and full voice. I much prefered Meghan on "Girl Crush," compared to her grime and grit tonight...but I did like her original song. 

Speaking of original songs, I really loved Josh's. It was giving me total John Cougar Mellencamp "Little Pink Houses" flashbacks...and I loved it. I didn't really care for his version of "Hallelujah," but I did think he had the best duet of the night. 

I couldn't believe how little they cut to Christina tonight. I wish we had gotten more of her trademark back handed compliments. Honest Christina is the best Christina. 

She left for a little while I think...I believe it was before they went to Josh's package about making his song.  When the camera panned out her chair was empty, and after he was done singing they did a tight shot of the other coaches talking about his performance, and then zoomed in on him walking off stage and didn't do the normal above the crowd shot they usually do.  She was back when they came back from commercial.  Maybe she was sick?

People!!! Mr. Keeks & I danced to Please as our first dance at our wedding! EIGHT YEARS AGO!!! I cannot begin to communicate my RAGE that America thinks that Ray wrote it FOR Sawyer. I want to blast it all over the interwebs. I only have like 40 Twitter followers, so i have no impact. LOL. But seriously, I am seething. Original song my fucking ass! Eight years ago! Eight years ago it was our wedding song! What in the actual fuck?!?

• Love 5

People!!! Mr. Keeks & I danced to Please as our first dance at our wedding! EIGHT YEARS AGO!!! I cannot begin to communicate my RAGE that America thinks that Ray wrote it FOR Sawyer. I want to blast it all over the interwebs. I only have like 40 Twitter followers, so i have no impact. LOL. But seriously, I am seething. Original song my fucking ass! Eight years ago! Eight years ago it was our wedding song! What in the actual fuck?!?

Yeah...that's crappily reported media drivel.

All they had to say was an unreleased rare Ray LaMontagne song, or something of the like. Everything I can find says the song was written just for Sawyer...although I'm sure Ray's fans (like you and myself ;) ) know better.

I, for one, would be happy to never hear "It's a Man's World" ever again.  There are millions of songs out there; why do competitions use the same ones over and over?

Because there is a medium length list of songs that are cheap and easy to clear for broadcast television, and from there a shorter list of what contestants and judges think will be popular enough to hook viewers, I guess.

And the reward for best original single and music video released by The Voice after the finale goes to .... Mia Z.  Blows all the rest out of the water (and by the way, this single was released by Republic Records, who obviously saw something in Mia that the show's voters didn't see).

• Love 2
(edited)

Because there is a medium length list of songs that are cheap and easy to clear for broadcast television, and from there a shorter list of what contestants and judges think will be popular enough to hook viewers, I guess.

Hearing the same songs over and over and over again on all the singing contest shows always drive my nuts. If someone's musical knowledge came solely from watching these shows (and sadly, I think that's the case for some of the younger contestants) they'd think that there were only fifty or so songs written before the year 2000. These shows reap gigantic advertising dollars, and the fact that the producers skimp when it comes to clearing rights shows how cynical they are. They really don't give much of a damn if it's going to cost them a relative few pennies to give the audience a more varied and interesting experience.

Regarding tonight's show, it was more of the same. As has been the case all season, each artist stays in their lane. I did appreciate that Josh's original song was not a ballad, but it came across as Springsteen Lite. With a dash of John Cougar Mellencamp. But the truth is, there are very few original artists in pop music, and the ones that are true originals are on a different plateau. i don't expect someone with that kind of talent to be on The Voice.

I did enjoy the duet on "Diamonds," because I'm a life time Paul Simon fan, and because it was a song I did not expect to hear on a singing competition show. In that regard, The Voice beats American Idol, where you never get that kind of pleasant surprise. I liked the arrangement, and of the two lead vocalists, I thought Josh sang with more feeling than Adam. (But then Adam has always seemed to me to be a light weight as a vocalist)

Meghan with her shouting and growling has become as much of a one-trick pony as Sawyer. And i continue to fail to understand the appeal of Koryn, though at least with the Beatles cover she was forced to sing something upbeat. But when the line of a song ends with a short, simple word like "you," please, just once, try singing it straight and not turning it into a five syllable word stretched across an octave. There really is a difference between singing and doing vocal exercises.

Edited by bluepiano

Apparently Sawyer himself thinks that Ray LaMontagne wrote the song for him (according to a Rolling Stones link in the finale results thread).  

(edited)

The winner tonight is the stage design team. Can I vote for them? I love those icicles on the piano.

Oh, who really cares anymore? But I thought the stage designs were amazing all season. The wonky lamp thing for Meghan Trainor were just the right touch. I didn't really love the boxy thing when some of the return artists sang, with the band on top, but I could see where the concept had merit. Good job! Oh crap, that was the finale night,Minot the competition night. Oh well, who really cares anymore?

Edited by Happyfatchick

Apparently Sawyer himself thinks that Ray LaMontagne wrote the song for him (according to a Rolling Stones link in the finale results thread).  

That's probably what Ray implied in his text to Sawyer. 

It surprises me that he (Sawyer) doesn't know it, to be honest. Granted, he didn't know "Drunk in Love" either. 

I don't know what the texts said, but why would Ray LaMontagne imply that he wrote the song for Sawyer?  Sawyer probably just misunderstood.  No problem, he's a kid.  But how the heck has someone not corrected him?  It's a pretty big misunderstanding.  

• Love 1

I would assume it's just ignorance from everyone involved. "Please" is a self released song, on an album that is all older versions. It's not even available on itunes as far as I can tell. (Although you can find it on youtube) 

As for implied, that could be accidental as well. All the text could be is "Here's a song for you, I hope you use it as your original." And anyone could interpret that it was written for him. I also haven't listened to the lyrics too well..it's possible that Ray changed it up.

It surprises me that Sawyer didn't already know it. But I'm not that surprised that no one else did. (Maybe Carson.) 

Isn't the original song one that the show intends to market right away for the winner?  So there would be paperwork involved and contracts and agreements reached prior to using it for the show?  At least this is what I assumed.  And if this is the case, then the show definitely knows the entire situation.  

(edited)

Well, because it was self released it's possible that what is normally taken care of legally wasn't, and therefore..it's just like an unreleased song. I mean, I don't really know if the song was attached to a publishing company or things like that. 

In fact, it appears that this song was written and released by Ray Lamontagne before he was signed to a major label. Wikipedia lists the album as limited. 

Of course, a little fact checking (like we've all done) would have solved this. But they may have had no reason to check. And I don't expect much from Republic. (When is Josh Kaufman's album coming out?) 

Edited by mercfan3

It's hard for me to believe that the show/label is not going to have all the legal stuff covered. This is a business. People don't play around with this stuff. You get all your i's dotted and t's crossed.

(edited)

It's hard for me to believe that the show/label is not going to have all the legal stuff covered. This is a business. People don't play around with this stuff. You get all your i's dotted and t's crossed.

It's not the show that wouldn't have all the legal stuff covered with the song, it's Ray that might not. 

Because it was self released, who knows what legal rights are attached to it (if any), which means that it could have essentially been the same as an unreleased song sent to Republic. And in which case, Republic would have no need to know (or care) when the song was written. 

But like I said, I don't know what Ray did with his old unreleased songs. I'm sure Taylor Swift has every demo she's ever created as legally protected as possible. Meanwhile, a singer songwriter named BC Jean wrote a little song called "If I Were A Boy." Beyonce's label gave it to Beyonce, and because BC Jean didn't publish it, she didn't end up getting all the rights to that song that she could have. 

So, as much as Republic didn't steal the song (I'm sure), it might not be necessary for them to know and/or care about when the song was written. And if it makes Carson and Sawyer feel good to think that Ray wrote that song for him..and Ray isn't bothering to correct it. Who cares? (Also, given the interviews I've seen..it's clearly Carson that is giving Sawyer the impression that Ray wrote him a song. I think Carson is just excited about Ray. But Carson is the one that keeps saying it. ) 

Edited by mercfan3