Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E14: Week 10: Finals Week

• Start Topic

From buddytv.com about the final week:

For Monday's performance show, the Final 3 couples will each reprise one routine from earlier in the season before going into their Freestyles.

It seems Rumer Willis and Val Chmerkovskiy will go all the way back to week 1 to redo their Foxtrot that put them at the top of the leaderboard with all 8s. Their Freestyle routine will blend Contemporary with the Argentine Tango, which is exciting as they are the only couple from the Top 8 who never performed a Tango this season.

Noah Galloway and Sharna Burgess will bring back their week 3 Latin Night Argentine Tango, which got them two 7s and two 8s. As you might expect, their Freestyle will be a Contemporary routine featuring several other pros.

Riker Lynch and Allison Holker certainly win the award for best reprisal as they're bringing back their Pirates of the Caribbean Paso Doble from Disney Night (which is my all-time favorite routine of the season). They got 10s from Carrie Ann Inaba and Bruno Tonioli, but Len Goodman and Julianne Hough only gave them 9s.

I am beyond excited to see Rumer do a full-length foxtrot after watching her in the dance-off.  :)  I notice they don't tell us what Riker's freestyle will be, but since Allison is a contemporary dancer, I'd be surprised if they did anything else.  I'm interested in Rumer's AT/contemporary fusion - that sounds interesting.  Not terribly interested in seeing Noah do a contemporary but it's not really a surprise. 

• Love 1

I'm really excited to see what all three couples bring tonight. Sounds like it'll be a good mix of tugging on the heartstrings, drama, passion, and fun with their three distinct styles. I saw a picture of Noah's and think it will be moving and beautifully choreographed. I'll be interested to see how the judges re-score his reprisal dance. Riker and Allison should be able to bring a lot of fun, and their paso reprisal will be very entertaining. I was hoping for an Argentine Tango for Rumer, so I'm excited that's what they're doing. The clip posted of her singing Toxic was really good. I've got my favorite but I really think any of them could take it. At this point, I like them all enough that I don't think I'd be upset with any of them winning.

I just saw a clip of the pairs rehearsing.  Was that Derrick and his former partner Amy practicing the Freestyle with Noah and Sharna?

Derek and Amy are doing something with them for the results show - their freestyle is with a bunch of troupe dancers. (Mark, Jenna, Lindsay, and one of the new guys, I think.) 

Paul Kirkland, Sharna's boyfriend, will be in the freestyle as well. It's Mark, Paul, Lindsay, Jenna with them...representing the people helping Noah during his recovery or something like that. Travis Garland and BC Jean (Mark's girlfriend) will sing their freestyle song. Then on the results show on Tuesday they will do a dance together with Amy and Derek. And Alfonso and Sadie will do a dance together, but also partly with Witney and Mark? That Mark and Witney choreographed for them. It's a lot of collaboration, which is nice to see IMO.

Gotta say, I'm really interested in what Riker will do. There's been barely anything released about his freestyle. Allison just said that it will be "big"...which can be great or totally backfire.

Paul Kirkland, Sharna's boyfriend, will be in the freestyle as well. It's Mark, Paul, Lindsay, Jenna with them...representing the people helping Noah during his recovery or something like that. Travis Garland and BC Jean (Mark's girlfriend) will sing their freestyle song. Then on the results show on Tuesday they will do a dance together with Amy and Derek. And Alfonso and Sadie will do a dance together, but also partly with Witney and Mark? That Mark and Witney choreographed for them. It's a lot of collaboration, which is nice to see IMO.

Gotta say, I'm really interested in what Riker will do. There's been barely anything released about his freestyle. Allison just said that it will be "big"...which can be great or totally backfire.

I'm excited for tonight!  Per the official dwts ig pics it looks like Allison & Riker are doing something with top hats & the troupe. I saw them on top of a glittery staircase.  I'm guessing an up beat jazzy number? maybe? Or jive?  That's what's coming to mind when I see the pics.

Why ... why so many contemporaries? I get that this the freestyle, but they've all done a contemporary, right? (Well, Rumer might not have.) If I wanted to watch contemporaries I'd be watching SYTYCD.  I honestly could not care less about those dances and definitely don't want to see them as freestyles.

Between the 'eh' feeling I have on the contestants and the overkill of contemporaries this might be the first season I have no enthusiasm for the finale. Thank god it's only an hour.

• Love 5

McManda

I feel you on contemporary overkill...however.... Rumer & Val are doing a contemporary AT (about to find out what exactly that means/looks like) and I think Allison & Riker are going more for a jazzy/jive routine.

I'm curious what type of freestyle would you have liked from each pair? This is a general questions for anyone who wants to answer.

I'm curious what type of freestyle would you have liked from each pair?

Noah and Sharna - Foxtrot

Riker and Alison - Hip Hop (like Amber Riley's Step freestyle) featuring Twitch

Rumer and Val - Broadway/Jazz (Fosse)

• Love 1

I'm curious what type of freestyle would you have liked from each pair? This is a general questions for anyone who wants to answer.

They all feel right to me. Rumer, intense dramatic ballroom, I'm guessing the "contemporary" addition is so they have a little more creative leeway in some of the moves they choose to do. Riker, high energy hip-hop/jazz plays to his strengths. Noah - crazy good at lifts. Still a bit bummed we don't get to see what Nastia would do, but with these three, it all seems right. Everyone's got a different flavor/tone which is always good for balance.

But then, I like contemporaries. 

I don't think the freestyle should be any one dance and I definitely don't think that dance should be contemporary anything. Most of the freestyles in the past couple seasons have underwhelmed, and that's probably because they've gone troupe/not ballroom/big production on the regular weekly dances and that takes away the "wow!" factor of the freestyle. What fun are they if we've already seen the smoke machine and the aerial ropes and the troupe in every other dance they've done all season?

I think that's why Drew Lachey's "Save a Horse" freestyle still makes people happy. It was different and fun and not something we had already seen him do (and up against Stacy Keibler's disco freestyle it was positively inspired). But there are very few freestyles that I can think of that made me go "wow, that was cool!". ... and there are plenty that I can think of and say "eh... that was it?"

Really what I want is for them to get rid of contemporary all together and then limit the use of the troupe and the theatrics and then they can work on making freestyles fun and interesting again.

• Love 7

She has done a full length Foxtrot - in week 1. That's pretty much the dance she will be redoing.

Yeah - I should have specified that I meant after seeing her do the dance-off, I'm excited to see how much improved she would be.  I liked her first week foxtrot, but I don't remember being as "over-the-moon" about it as I was her dance-off foxtrot.  From that short bit, it seemed as though she would be much improved and much more elegant this time around.  :)

I don't think the freestyle should be any one dance and I definitely don't think that dance should be contemporary anything. Most of the freestyles in the past couple seasons have underwhelmed, and that's probably because they've gone troupe/not ballroom/big production on the regular weekly dances and that takes away the "wow!" factor of the freestyle. What fun are they if we've already seen the smoke machine and the aerial ropes and the troupe in every other dance they've done all season?

I think that's why Drew Lachey's "Save a Horse" freestyle still makes people happy. It was different and fun and not something we had already seen him do (and up against Stacy Keibler's disco freestyle it was positively inspired). But there are very few freestyles that I can think of that made me go "wow, that was cool!". ... and there are plenty that I can think of and say "eh... that was it?"

Really what I want is for them to get rid of contemporary all together and then limit the use of the troupe and the theatrics and then they can work on making freestyles fun and interesting again.

As far as I know, the freestyle is not allowed to be any one dance except contemporary because that's pretty much anything, I guess.  But they could not come out and do a straight AT or a straight jive or anything like that for their freestyle.  I am also not crazy about contemporary on this show and would be happy if they got rid of it and jazz.  I'd love to see them do some more original freestyles rather than just contemporary.  I still love Drew's freestyle.  That was one of the best ever.  I agree so much with your last sentence.  At this point the freestyles too often seem like just another week because it's nothing we haven't seen already over and over again.

• Love 1

Why ... why so many contemporaries? I get that this the freestyle, but they've all done a contemporary, right?

I feel like they stick the word contemporary in front of other dance styles so that they can use elements from, say, the Argentine tango, but not be bound by it. Adding the word contemporary in front gives them free reign to throw in other stuff without the judges criticizing them for not doing a traditional [insert dance style]. And not just for the finale. I would swear they did that earlier in the season because I remember after Tom mentioned it, I thought, "What the hell is a contemporary [dance]?" Maybe it was the Charleston?

• Love 1

To be fair, the contemporary Charleston was a product of "eras" week, so it was less contemporary as a style of dance and more contemporary as in "not in the past". That's why Derek chose to stage it on a subway car, I think.

But I think you're right. They throw "contemporary" in front of a dance as a modifier so that they can take more liberties on their style of dance. It's still a cop out, I think, and I wish it would go away.

Well, it looks like the judges/producers aren't calling it a wash and actually scored Noah lower (at least than Ryker). Of course, fan support can overcome some difference, so no calls at this point.

• Love 1

I soooo want to see Riker dance his POTC paso with a qualified ballroom pro. Sigh. That dance had the potential to be ah-mazing, but I was too worried that Allison was going to stomp through the floor like Rumplestiltskin.

Why was Chris backstage and in every shot with Noah?

I'm sorry, did Noah use a Pitch Perfect inspired version of "Titanium" for his freestyle? Mashed up with Coldplay's "Fix You"? I want to be wowed by the freesetyle. This isn't "most inspirational year" week. I give Noah a lot of credit as a person; he's quite literally an inspiration and seems like a really great guy. But as a freestyle ... I was bored. (Sorry, Sharna. For the thousandth time, contemporary's not my thing.)

Hello, Riker, I really loved Alfonso's freestyle last season, too. I did appreciate that Allison gave Riker a chance to dance by himself. What I've come to realize is that I just don't like to watch Allison dance. That's new for me. I didn't care much for Lacey, for example, but I didn't dislike watching her dance. Please, powers that be, don't bring her back next season.

DWTS would be a better show if all the dances were "stripped down" and done like Rumer's freestyle. As a freestyle I was underwhelmed but as a Argentine tango I really, really liked it.

Rumer and Val for the win, just because I don't want to see Noah or Allison (sorry Riker!) take it all.

• Love 3

Rumer's freestyle was pitch perfect. Pure and brave just like Len said, and IMO, most deserving of the Mirrorball. It was truly about showcasing her as a dancer. Riker's was messy, failed to limelight him, and he didn't stand out, while Noah's felt exploitative, just like his entire journey on this show. Also, he made about twenty steps total in his first dance. Rumer for the win, without a doubt. 

• Love 19

Alright, that was kind of lackluster for the finals.  Noah's freestyle was good for a contemporary style, but that is just not my favorite style of dance.  Rumer's was boring and looked like half of her other dances this season.  Riker's was odd and frantic, just like Allison does everything.

Compared to last season with Alfonso and Sadie's dances, this just does not hold up.  Nothing had that Wow! factor.

• Love 2

None of the freestyles had that wow factor to me either, but my favorite was Rumer and Val's. It was simply beautiful and I loved that it was just the two of them dancing and no one else. They're my favorite couple to win.

I too was reminded of Alfonso and Witney's freestyle last season with Riker and Allison's freestyle. I wanted to be wowed by it, but it fell kind of flat for me.

• Love 8

About the re-do dances:

Noah's; I thought it was actually worse because he stumbled a few times and that lift was rough too.

Riker;  I still found it hectic like the first time they did it, but at least he didn’t almost fling her off stage on the floor spin like he did the first time.

Rumer; The first time she did it, I was surprised at her grace and her natural ability. This time around her arms and her fluidity was just a notch above the first time. I thought she had the biggest improvement of these 3 dances

The Freestyles:

Noah; : It was basically just an expanded version of his Contemporary. I mean yes it’s sad and inspiring, but how many times do we have to hear it and how many times can he get away with not really doing much. Felt just too much like another "hey look at what happened to him, maybe it'll get us more votes, the more we talk about it" exploits.

Riker; : Honestly, I thought it wasn’t nearly as good as the judges claimed it to be. It didn’t feel “big” or “epic” as Allison described it to be. The changes of rhythms and tempos really threw me off and when they got on the table they got out of sync in a very noticeable way, but I guess not noticeable enough for the judges to mark them down for it.

Rumer; I loved the darker tone with it being mostly Argentine Tango with hints of Contemporary in it. Her voice sounded great on the track and I think she was very raw and passionate. IMO, none of the freestyles were really “wow” moments, but Rumer’s appealed to me the most of them all.

I predict Noah for 3rd because an 8 point difference is a lot to make up for in the final especially with Riker and Rumer having fan bases of their own. Riker for 2nd and Rumer winning. Although they tied for scores, I think Rumer gets the edge in votes for dancing last and being a bit more memorable and their freestyle being more stripped down instead of a big production.

• Love 5

None of the freestyles truly wowed me, but I liked Riker's the best, it felt like a true freestyle to me. I tuned out of Noah's during the rehearsal package and all I saw from Rumer and Val was an Argentine tango, a well done Argentine tango, but not a freestyle.

I'm pulling for Riker.

• Love 2

Considering my irrational dislike of Noah, I was pleasantly surprised by his freestyle. I l I ked it. I thought the choreography was amazing. Sharna did much more with him than dancing around him while he does a leg lift. The use of the troupe w as really good. I thought it flowed very nicely.

That said, the package hit all the manipulative triggers for the voters. Wounded vet, check. American flag on a field of camouflage, check. Tearful "I thought I'd be out by week 3" TH, check. Trust me. 'Merca is voting for him.

Hated Riker' s freestyle. Hated it. Val and Rumer were ok. Where's Save a Horse? Where's Apolo and Julianne' s hip hop? Where's Kelly and Derek's contemporary? Nothing wowed me tonight.

• Love 4

Well, I guess I'm rooting for Rumor.  I can't stand Allison (not Riker's problem, I know) but the re-hash of that silly pirate routine did not wow me.  I preferred Val and Rumor's more sophisticated free style as well.  Much like TAR this season, though, I really just don't care.

• Love 1
(edited)

Erin Andrews wore another prom dress tonight.  It looked like my old one but yellow instead of blue.  Anyway.

All of the freestyles underwhelmed.  I was not impressed by any of them.  Noah's was too much; Riker's bored me.  I kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever did.  And since Val can't really choreograph a freestyle, he just decided to do an Argentine Tango.  That's not a freestyle.  Those ribbons or whatever around Rumer's feet just annoyed me.  Did she have to wear those?

Really wish we could have seen a freestyle from Nastia and Derek.  It probably would've brought a bit of excitement.

Where's Save a Horse? Where's Apolo and Julianne' s hip hop? Where's Kelly and Derek's contemporary? Nothing wowed me tonight.

Yes.  All of the freestyles were so meh and blah and boring.  I have to go back and watch some excellent freestyles.  This anniversary season is ending on a whimper.

Edited by superdeluxe
  • Love 2

I loved Rumer's freestyle. That was everything I was hoping to see from them. I like that they stuck to what they're great at. I was captivated.

I didn't like Alfonso's freestyle last year (sacrilege, I know) because it seemed so busy and didn't let me enjoy Alfonso and Witney and their dancing. That's why I loved Rumer and Val's stripped down freestyle. It was them and everything I love about their partnership.

I loved how much fun Rumer and Val were having in their foxtrot. I think she stole the show tonight.

I remembered liking Riker's Paso and now I remember why I only liked it. I wish he had some control instead of just throwing the movements out there. Allison looked so pretty in the Paso.

I thought, oddly, that Riker's freestyle was the first dance that they weren't energetic enough. I liked the concept for him, though.

I'm sorry Noah had a rough first dance. At this point, I want everyone to do well. I liked the freestyle, but I kept getting distracted by the other dancers and didn't focus on Noah. I thought the lift was great though. Also, Sharna looks like a completely different person (still pretty) without makeup.

• Love 2

Since the show has been doing freestyles all season I enjoyed Rumer 's striped down freestyle. Riker's has been done before, Alfonso, Cheryl and Jack and also Kym and Donnie Osmond had the same theme , though different dancing. Also, too many extra dancers as in Noah's.

I think Val and Rumer should win just because of the pure joy on their faces during their foxtrot. I also think Rumer really improved on her turns and spins this time around and yes, more confidence. I really hope they win.

• Love 9

Whoever sang that Hozier song sounded terrible to me! Maybe only Hozier can sing it. And Annie Lennox ( great duet at the Grammys)

Or a collegiate a cappella group:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vanderbilt+melodores+take+me+to+church&FORM=VIRE12#view=detail&mid=C6C8EBC55112E89725B2C6C8EBC55112E89725B2

I loved Rumer's freestyle. That was everything I was hoping to see from them. I like that they stuck to what they're great at. I was captivated.

Me too.  I love their connection, and the fact that they haven't attempted to fake a showmance.  I envy Rumer's body.  I actually said aloud:  Who needs a beautiful face with a gorgeous body like that?

• Love 2

Whoa, Riker's freestyle was not anything I was expecting. As my daughter pointed out, he's just too pale to wear all white (pale face and bleached hair) and he kind of disappeared in that dance. He looked like he was thinking, "Hey world, look at meeeeeeee!!!!" and that was just a turn-off. His paso was even better than before, so that was great.

I loved Rumer and Val's dance (whither the violin, Val?) but it was too much like their Swan Lake. Now if I had never seen their SL, this would have been killer. But that was a contemporary tango as well. However they performed the hell out of it so she just may win on that.

Noah, what can I say? Keep beating that patriotic dead horse until it's really dead. He certainly moved around more in his second dance than usual (remember when he used to stand in one place while Sharna danced around him?), and it was better than his first dance, but meh all around.

• Love 1
(edited)

I absolutely loved the Freestyle from Val and Rumer.  It's probably one of my favorites, ever because not only was it stripped down, like say Kellie Pickler's routine in season 16, which was totally contemporary, in this Freestyle it is still grounded in ballroom style partner dancing. Val knows his strength, and it is his strength as a ballroom dancer that will ultimately showcase his partner in the best light.  It did have a contemporary flair since Rumer was barefoot, and some of the movement had contemporary elements, but there's nothing wrong with doing partner dancing in a freestyle.There are no rules, and so I'm thrilled they got to show a tango. Argentine Tango isn't really ballroom anyway, it's a genre on to itself, even though it has been adapted for this show.  

ETA I felt it was very different from Swan Lake, that had the balletic movement and artiface of ballet and waltz with a few movements of tango.

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 7

It wasn't an OTT finals, but I enjoyed it. Except for the poor time management that left no time for any words from Rumer and Val after their freestyle. I'd like them to win. Riker's a close second.

• Love 2
(edited)

I get that people don't like Allison, but I thought she did an amazing job all season, playing to her partner's strengths. I fully expected a contemporary from them, since that's her wheelhouse, but she gave him center stage. Rumer is a beautiful dancer, but I felt like I saw her perform the same dance over and over...I never really saw her out of her edgy, seductive comfort zone. It's a tough competition between those two, but I'm pulling for Riker (and admittedly I had to FF that ridic Capt Jack interview).

Edited by RedInk
  • Love 3

Since I really care about none of them, the only highlight of the night for me was watching Allison almost-cry over how close she is to winning a mirrorball, thanks to Riker!

• Love 4

This show has absolutely destroyed the Freestyle Round. All season long its been props this, troupe that, jazz this, contemporary that so by the time we get to the Freestyle, we've seen it all before. 

How was Noah's dance different from his contemporary? Riker's different from his jazz trio? Rumer and Val just straight up did an Argentine Tango. Riker and Rumer both danced incredibly well, don't get me wrong, but its not exciting when we've seen it all before. The Freestyle round used to be the pinnacle of the season; this just went out with a whimper.

• Love 7

I thought it was bold of Allison to do the top hats and suits right after Alfonso and Whitney. The music felt a little subdued and I don't think matched their routine that well. I thought it was a bit sloppy too especially noticeable was at one point when there on those little beams.

I loved Val and Rumer's routine. I appreciated Rumer's version of Toxic and it went well with the AT/Contemporary. It was awesome. I tried voting a few times for them and was only able to get through twice. I'm hoping they win tomorrow night. I'm also a sucker for a proud dad so watching Bruce tear up gave me the feels.

• Love 8

Okay, full disclosure, didn't watch the first round dances because I didn't care. I hate the repeating the exact same dance crap. I really wish they'd go back to seasons past where the couples were tasked with creating a new dance for their weakest style. Why do I want to see the exact same dance with the same choreography and costume? Yeah no... So that said, I only checked in for the finale. 

Let me just say this. I think the freestyle is exactly why Contemporary and Jazz needs to be removed as a style within the regular competition, as well as limiting the use of the troupe. Because those factors, contemporary and jazz being regular styles and the troupe in damn near every dance has made it more and more difficult for the Pros to really wow or do something truly different in the freestyle. So that said, that was the three most underwhelming freestyles I've seen in many seasons. 

Noah/Sharna - So the judges were practically falling over themselves and I don't get it. He pretty much did a contemporary like the one he did some weeks ago with the only difference being the other dancers present and the men again carrying him much like they did last week with the Paso. Noah is inspirational, yes we all know that, but I have seen very little dancing from him this whole season and this was no different. About the only interesting thing was when he did do the side by side leg stuff with Sharna. 

Riker/Allison - I get what Allison was going for but this felt like an idea that in her head was probably amazing but didn't really come together like it could have. And I'm disappointed because much as I rag on Allison's ballroom skills, the girl is fierce in a contemporary/jazz and this was her chance to truly show how amazing she is as a choreographer and dancer and kill it and she didn't. It seemed slow and draggy at points and Riker did not look as smooth and elegant as he needed to be and there were definitely some awkward moments. In all, just kind of okay and underwhelming but hardly a freestyle I'd remember for years to come. 

Rumer/Val - Nice Argentine Tango Val because that's pretty much all I saw. It was certainly passionate and danced amazingly well but I just saw an AT. And it had always been my belief that the Pros couldn't just do a straight ballroom style as their freestyle, which is why so many have done the mix of different styles. I know they called it Contemporary/AT fusion but I just think that was a cop out to get around the fact that this was just a straight AT. And so again, while it was certainly danced well, I can see amazing AT's all the time on the show. I look forward to the freestyle to see something new and fresh and exciting. Also, I think this dance also suffered because of Bruno's Swan Lake mish mosh number last week for them because I felt like there were a few shades of that in this freestyle (or maybe it was just Rumer's wearing the same type shoes again that threw me) and made me feel like "I just saw this last week." Finally, with that outfit, Val looked scarily exactly like Maks at certain angles of the dance. 

So in conclusion, I have no idea who will win based on those freestyles. Like I knew it was over for Zendaya and Kelly would win after their freestyle, Alfonso pretty much just solidly sewed up his win with his, much like Amber did with hers and Meryl with hers but I have no freaking clue who's winning this thing this season. So I guess that's sort of exciting but yet I find I really don't care much.