Type keyword(s) to search

Liza: She's 26! / She's 26?

This is a general topic for discussion of the show's core premise and whether it's realistic / not realistic. What does the show get right? How does it miss the target? Share your thoughts!

I think it's realistic to think that people Liza is who she says she is.  As Maggie (Debi Mazar) says in the pilot, "People believe what you tell them."  Unless / until she does something to show them she's not 26, people will believe it. They'll write off the little things - cultural gaffes, small wrinkles around her eye - as a product of her living in India for several years. Because no one expects such a lie.

• Love 3

This is true, and particularly the part about India. Natural selection has arranged for people who are native to Goa to be not nearly as melanin-challenged as Liza is for a very good reason. If her flaws are that glaring (although honestly I think few people of any age would withstand HD cameras as well), call it sun damage.

• Love 1

I think there are some people who are looking for the flaw in something told to them, and then there's people like me who just naively believe what people tell me about themselves.  I liken it to race - my race is ambiguous, and through drunken experiments for fun I've learned that people will believe I'm whatever race I tell them.  LOL.

• Love 3
(edited)

I would never believe she's 26 no matter what she told me.

Yes, it's become clear from the episode threads that there are folks who are so accustomed to perfect youthful radiance that they can't accept Liza's raddled, leathery face and swags of skin on anyone who isn't an old person. I'm kind of grateful, under the circumstances, that I wasn't one of them in my long-ago youth. I suspect I'd find my life as - let's just say someone who never did try to convince myself that marble-like perfection was among my own genetic gifts - dispiriting if I had been.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

I'm just not seeing how other people are thinking there's no way she could pull this off in real life. Sutton Foster looks amazing for any age! Maybe should could better pull off 30 than 26, but come on, it's TV. I get that it's a main plot point, but at some point you have to acknowledge this is what the show is giving you and move on, no? I'm feeling the way I did with Nashville and Tammy Taylor's singing abilities. Some posters on another site were acting like the show should hinge on Connie Britton's singing voice because the audience wouldn't find her believable as a country super star, and it was just baffling to me. It's TV! I don't know. I just think they sufficiently make her look young enough with her clothes, hair, and make-up, especially when you compare against her her "mom" look. I'm not bothered by it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not referencing anyone in particular, but I wish these age discussions didn't always turn caustic or personal.  While I get that there are some people who "aren't buying it", I also see that it's clear that there ARE some people who could buy it or find it believable.  I think it's okay to disagree on this personally.  Doesn't have to be so black and white.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
(edited)

There is no one way to look 26, or any age for that matter. I wasn't aware people even cared that much. who cares if she's lying about her age? Who is she hurting? It's not like she stole a job from someone who deserved it more because they are younger than her. She and Josh are a fling. If he starts talking marriage and kids and she doesn't tell him she's unlikely to get pregnant at this point in her life, or doesn't want to, then she will be harming someone with her lie. Otherwise, I doubt anyone on the show cares enough to question it.

I think the whole study abroad thing is actually a good excuse for some of her lack of cultural references and not so dewy appearance. Unlike Kelsey who probably spends a small fortune looking like what TV tells us she should, Liza was in a much hotter climate (sun is the worst enemy of smooth, youthful skin) far from any Clinique counter.

I think the only thing making Liza look older is the clothes they are putting her in. IMO she is dressing more like a teenager which makes her look older than a 20 something professional. Most of the 20 somethings I work with wear skinny jeans and flowy tops and flip flops or sandals all the time. Comfort over trendy. If they'd have gone that route, more like how Sutton was dressed in Bunheads, I think she would look younger. Putting her in such trendy stuff is more a teenage to very early 20s thing and makes her look like she's trying too hard, which could be the point, actually.

From a personal standpoint, I am 43, I look very similar to Sutton (though I'd say she looks a little younger than me, which she is) and whenever my age comes up people are shocked because they thought I was 26-28. People my age, older than me, younger than me, people 26-28 have all said they thought I was in that age group, so  I know that if Liza worked in my office no one would question her about being 26.

of smooth, youthful skin) far from any Clinique counter.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 1

The part about Josh is where I disagree.  I wish she didn't lie about her age when it comes to her dating life -- Josh has no affect on her career.  Her and Josh are quite obviously exclusive now and she could have come clean about 3 episodes ago.  I would not appreciate dating someone semi-seriously only to learn they have been lying to me about their age.  It's just dishonest, and speaks to the person's character.

• Love 2
(edited)

Lindsey Lohan at 26. Just saying.

I do think someone like Shiri Appleby would have been more believable, but eh.

I think the social/cultural references Liza is making are spot-on for her age, like the Nirvana concert or Punky Brewster, but the tech stuff is embarrassing. Guys, anyone who went to college in the mid/late 1990's is not going to be a total technology newbie.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

Count me in on the ones who aren't buying her as 26.  I've seen very young looking women, and I know one who gets carded each and every time she buys a bottle of wine--and she's 41.  It's a problem for her because she is cute, single, would love to get married, but gets hit on by guys in their mid-20s who aren't thinking about settling down.  She could for sure get away with 26.  Hell, she could away with 21.  But she carries herself like a kid.  And her hair, her make-up, the way she dresses in jeans and tees, everything about her says 'young'.  Liza just has a more mature look and stands and moves differently.  From the back she looks young.  But her face just doesn't.  To me at least.

But I really enjoy the show...

• Love 2

Sutton Foster does not look 26. I say this as someone in their 20s. She looks older than me and most of my peers.  Maybe a rough 26! She can pull off mid 30s.

• Love 1

Count me in as someone who thinks she could use the sun damage from her time in India: I said this in the pilot thread but Kate Middleton and her sister easily look at least half decade older than their actual ages, and Kate is in her early thirties and Pippa is younger than her.

• Love 3

I'm buying into the 26 thing, because the actress is convincing and charming. What I don't buy is a 40 yo Gen Xer who has an 18 year old daughter being tech challenged. I also don't buy her not getting back in the workforce once her daughter started school. I've never been to New Jersey other than to travel through, but surely it's not that awful a place to work and live in. Surely there was some job she could have done there.

Edited by Mu Shu

You'd be surprised. I know lots of stay-at-home moms who intend to go back to work once the kids hit school but never do. I know one in particular whose daughter started high school this year and she still hasn't gone back to work. Hasn't even tried submitting resumes.

I think it depends why they were at home. In this case, my impression is that her husband liked having a SAHW as a status symbol, like his boat, to show he could afford it.

Edited by Julia

I think it depends why they were at home. In this case, my impression is that her husband liked having a SAHW as a status symbol, like his boat, to show he could afford it.

Then that Ivy League education certainly went to waste. I just don't buy that an intelligent Gen Xer with an Ivy League education wouldn't at least get into a management role at the Paramus Barnes and Noble once the daughter became school aged, or at least get involved with running the dental office. Unless of course she has a trust fund.

Eh, just can't buy it. I wish they would retcon a bit and make Liza less of an out of touch doofus and recast the BF at least

Edited by Mu Shu

Then that Ivy League education certainly went to waste. I just don't buy that an intelligent Gen Xer with an Ivy League education wouldn't at least get into a management role at the Paramus Barnes and Noble once the daughter became school aged, or at least get involved with running the dental office. Unless of course she has a trust fund.

Eh, just can't buy it. I wish they would retcon a bit and make Liza less of an out of touch doofus and recast the BF at least

It's been known to happen. They're called ladies who lunch for a reason. I don't see Liza being one of them, but then she's made a few unfortunate choices :)

jobs in north Jersey are not as easy to come by as you would think. I have young friends and relatives that seem to be constantly out of work. They are all college educated, one is an aspiring writer, Two have taken additional classes and gotten certified as a what ever to work in hair salons.  Forthis I say, thank you Christ Christie - NJ did not bounce back as fast as other surrounding states

As for passing for younger, My friends and I were carded well into our 30's. I think it was because we were early sunscreen users and tended to not wear much make up and had long straight hair and were thin (those were the days!). It is an illusion.I think that the style of what you wear combined with telling people how old you are can indeed make them assume you are younger. 

Then that Ivy League education certainly went to waste. I just don't buy that an intelligent Gen Xer with an Ivy League education wouldn't at least get into a management role at the Paramus Barnes and Noble

Ugh, I've done those retail management jobs.  They're not what they seem.  Can be horrible stress, or horrible hours, or both, depending on the industry and the position.  I describe that time in my life as a dark cave where I experienced exactly zero social life.  Forget family.  Or your health. Absolutely forget it.  It's a job for a very young person at a very particular time in your life, or nobody.

or at least get involved with running the dental office.

I've tried to get this job too.  Even reception for a dental office, anything.  I was told there's no way anyone without a dental background would be considered.

Job hunting is demoralizing.   It's a hell where you're constantly told things like "You're over qualified" "You're underqualified" "Experience is required (even for the shittiest of jobs that any moron can do.)"  And this is said to people with an Ivy League education.   If someone doesn't have to work I personally wouldn't recommend it.  I am never going to be one of those people who "has" to work.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

When I married my husband, who's 12 years younger than me, and moved across the country, most places I interviewed at jobs were surprised by how much job experience I had, as I tend to look younger than my age.  Even now that I'm 50, my hair is grey-free and my skin is good and most people assume I'm in my early 40s.  Yay! 

I don't quite buy Liza passing for 26, but I could see people thinking she's 30. 

• Love 2

I can see people buying she's 26. No one's going to think 40-year-old is applying for a job as a 26-year-old. They are not looking at her critically every day trying to figure out how old she is like we are . I'm pretty sure people falsify documents for jobs pretty frequently for various reasons. I doubt any worse will happen to her then being fired. She may not even be fired if they like her, but I think she is going to end up doing writing or something on her own.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 2

I know plenty of women who never go back to work. It's not as unusual as you might think and it is not easy to get a job as an office manager when you have no experience.

From when she was babysitting it seemed like She was very much into just being with her kid and she was involved in the PTA and all that stuff.

Actually I find it harder that someone with an Ivy League degree would go back to work at a menial job unless they had to.usually they find plenty of other projects to be involved with at the school and with charity and even with church.

• Love 3

When I married my husband, who's 12 years younger than me, and moved across the country, most places I interviewed at jobs were surprised by how much job experience I had, as I tend to look younger than my age.  Even now that I'm 50, my hair is grey-free and my skin is good and most people assume I'm in my early 40s.  Yay! 

I don't quite buy Liza passing for 26, but I could see people thinking she's 30. 

I agree about Liza looking more like 30 than 26 but I also had your experience looking younger - That's a double edged sword, though.  Looking younger made people expect me to act differently than I wanted to.  They thought I should still be out partying when I was just content to go home.  They thought I still "had plenty of time" to have children when my biological alarm clock was going off.  They thought that despite my experience I didn't project an image of authority, so they tended to pass over me for better positions.  And when I did come out with some great ideas they tended to chalk it up to a fluke rather than coming from someone with any real clue.  It was very frustrating.  Not that I want to scare you, but post-menopause might change some of that appearance.  Now I just look like an overweight, not as attractive younger person, LOL.  Which is also not that great from my point of view.  I almost want to tell people, hey I'm 2 and a half years away from being 60, I actually look GOOD for my age!

The show has tended to deal with the internal/external discrepancy from Liza's point of view on the job in giving her an entry level position instead of a better one, although it seems as though Liza is not as uncomfortable with that as one might think, perhaps because she is really only up to that sort of position because of lack of experience.  And thinking that everyone thinks she's only 26 makes it easier for her to handle.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

I know plenty of women who never go back to work. It's not as unusual as you might think and it is not easy to get a job as an office manager when you have no experience.

From when she was babysitting it seemed like She was very much into just being with her kid and she was involved in the PTA and all that stuff.

Actually I find it harder that someone with an Ivy League degree would go back to work at a menial job unless they had to.usually they find plenty of other projects to be involved with at the school and with charity and even with church.

I'm under the impression Liza has to work. I'm also under the impression that her job in publishing is rather low paying.

I don't have an issue with women who don't have to work. More power to them. I suspect they have funds to fall back in should they get divorced. Maybe I missed Liza having a trust fund or receiving alimony?

I know a lot of women who got married and stopped working. They got divorced, and were flat broke with a big gap in their resumes. I'm the same age as Liza, And most of the Gen xers I know would never trust that a husband would financially support them for the rest of their lives.

Then again, Liza is very naive and immature for her age.

• Love 1

The dirty little secret of publishing is that it's prestigious, but most of the salaries suck.

Which is all the more reason why it makes sense that Liza dropped out of the workforce. Commuting to a full-time job in Manhattan would have cost more in childcare than she was likely to make, and her husband seems unlikely to have supported it. And even if they wanted to make it work, suburban Jersey is not best known for its public transportation. Someone had to get princess to soccer practice. Even when princess was old enough to drive herself, I haven't seen anything from either her husband or her daughter to suggest that they wouldn't build their lives around Liza being available to do their scutwork (because she's not 'busy').

I was raised by a divorced mom, so I totally understand prioritizing financial security, but it seems a little harsh to judge Liza for making the choice to give her daughter the same sheltered upbringing she clearly had.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I can see people buying she's 26. No one's going to think 40-year-old is applying for a job as a 26-year-old. They are not looking at her critically every day trying to figure out how old she is like we are . I'm pretty sure people falsify documents for jobs pretty frequently for various reasons. I doubt any worse will happen to her then being fired. She may not even be fired if they like her, but I think she is going to end up doing writing or something on her own.

Plus if someone tells you they're 26 (or 32 or 35 or whatever) and they look maybe a bit more seasoned than you think they should, are you going to point blank accuse them of lying? Awkward as hell and rude. I think it all goes back to what Maggie said in the pilot--people will believe what you tell them.

• Love 2

When I was in my late 30's (36-38), I was involved with a man who was 13 years younger than I. Fabulous relationship, and no one ever suspected there was an age difference between us. People always guessed we were both in our mid-to-late 20's.

Now those were the days!

I do think Liza successful passes as 26. So much of what "aged" women (prematurely, IMO) decades ago was societal pressure to cut their hair short, and dress a certain way, once they reached a particular age. We no longer have those rules. Women can have long hair at any age. We can wear fashion-forward clothing (as long as it fits properly and is flattering). It's perfectly fine to color grey hair (if I had been fortunate to inherit the beautiful silver-white hair gene, I would leave my hair alone, but alas I got the mousey, dull brown interspersed with yellowish grey hairs gene).

The abolition of all of these "rules" means most women can look younger than their biological age, some considerably younger. Add some judicious plastic surgery procedures to the mix, and accurately guessing someone's age can become next to impossible.

• Love 1

I don't really find it difficult to believe Liza could pass for 26.  The only reason I notice anything is because the viewer is 'in the know'.  I grew up poor and lots of issues related to being poor (bad diet, lack of skin care, stress, environmental factors, etc) has a way of aging a person.  Half the people I grew up with always looked older than they were.  Those who are still in poverty look way older than they are, with those of us who have experienced upward social mobility starting to be able to play with a youthful appearance due to access to better foods, skin care, hair care, less stress and so on. 

But it's not just poverty that can age people.  Genetics plays a part, as is the case with the Middleton women, with both Kate and Pippa looking closer to their mom's age than their own.  Or it could be behavior, like the Jersey shore cast who were smoking and drinking and tanning constantly for several years of their lives which led to a bit of premature aging.  

If someone tells me they are 26 and they maybe don't look 26, I'd probably subconsciously assume that it's any one of these factors -poverty, lifestyle, genetics - or a mix playing a part.  With Liza, if I met her in real life and decided to be one of those judgy people, I'd honestly put it down to something as simple as her make up making her look older than she is.  However, I usually just believe someone when they have cause to mention their age.  It's often not relevant.

• Love 4

If someone tells me they are 26 and they maybe don't look 26, I'd probably subconsciously assume that it's any one of these factors -poverty, lifestyle, genetics - or a mix playing a part.

Exactly. IRL if someone you work with says they are 26, all their documentation says they are 26 but they look a little older (and I don't think Sutton looks what TV says 40 looks like) who is going to challenge them about it? Really, I work with people who don't look the way I expect people to look at their age. I'm 43 and I look younger than one of the 26 year olds I work with because she used to tan a LOT and I have good, Scandinavian genes. I would never think to challenge someone on their age unless they looked like say Helen Mirren (stunning, but clearly older) and said they were 25. Then I might think something was awry. Sutton, not so much. She looks great.

I do hate how the show portrays age though. I hang out with a group of 26-28 year olds at work and while, yes, they spend most of their time with their noses in their phones, they aren't as obnoxious about age as the ones on this show. And I am a 43 year old and don't know anyone in my age group as out of touch as Liza or as "old" as her boss who's name escapes me right not but is played by the wonderful Mariam Shor. Diane...right?

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 1

What does this even mean?

It means that she has wrinkles in between her eyebrows (that are accentuated when she scrunches up her face in the show) that make her look as old as she actually is. But with certain angles and facial expressions, it's less noticeable. 

• Love 2

I think the show is pulling out all the stops with making Liza pass for 26.  I swear this season they've gone overboard with the lighting and the wrinkle blurring filters.  Plus I think they're putting more highlights in her hair, using better makeup, better camera angles, etc., etc.  Plus I notice she seems to be trying harder to seem "perky".  These are all things that subconsciously make people perceive others as younger than their real age.

Then again, perception of age is very subjective and it's amazing how some people can view the same person as way older or younger than others.  I remember a few years back there was a show on TLC called "Ten Years Younger".  It always fascinated me how a group of people saw the same woman as anywhere from 26 to 50.  There was also a study online I remember called "How old do I look?" where you uploaded your photo to a website anonymously and people voted on how old they thought you were based on the photo.  I uploaded a selfie and although I was 50 at the time the average age people guessed me at was 36.   I think I can chalk that up to a lot of different factors including genetics, mental outlook, wardrobe, makeup, hairstyle, etc., etc.  I wonder how old I would look if I uploaded myself today, 7 years later.  I don't know if I have the courage for that anymore, because I doubt I'd come out as 36 anymore!

I think there's a newer version of the same concept here:

https://how-old.net/#

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

So last season I was on the side of, of COURSE Sutton/Liza could be 26.

This year, I'm finding it a lot less believable.  I was going to say it's something around the eyes, but someone upthread has pointed it out.  Yeah.  I don't know anymore.  I have a friend who is like 37 that people could easily believe is 26.  She's petite and kind of doll-like with amazing skin.. I think I've mentioned her before.  Anyways, the idea for the show is still really cool, I just think I don't know if Sutton passes anymore, for me.  Maybe I just know the actor too well, or something.

• Love 1

I hear you Ms Blue Jay.  I think being cute and petite helps in being seen as younger and Sutton is tall and not "cute" in that certain way, so that is not in her favor.  I'm short and perky looking plus I naturally don't tend to act my age, something I can't put into words.  Maybe it's because I never had kids?  Or because on some level I've never really accepted growing older, LOL?  Or could it be because I got a young outlook from my father, who is 88 but easily passes for his early 70s, who knows?  But whatever it is, Sutton just doesn't have it and they have to do a lot more to make us believe it with her.  For me it's not just the eyes but something about the way she acts that gives her away for me.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

I hear you Ms Blue Jay. I think being cute and petite helps in being seen as younger and Sutton is tall and not "cute" in that certain way, so that is not in her favor. I'm short and perky looking plus I naturally don't tend to act my age, something I can't put into words. Maybe it's because I never had kids? Or because on some level I've never really accepted growing older, LOL? Or could it be because I got a young outlook from my father, who is 88 but easily passes for his early 70s, who knows? But whatever it is, Sutton just doesn't have it and they have to do a lot more to make us believe it with her. For me it's not just the eyes but something about the way she acts that gives her away for me.

iTA! She does not look 26. No way does Kelsey look one year younger .

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 2

As someone who always gets mistaken for being way younger than I am, I can totally buy that people who didn't know her would buy her as a 20-something. When I was in college I knew a girl who looked 30-something when she was 22. Good genes, skincare, etc can go a long way. Ironically, that girl went on a reality show and got busted for lying about her age. Anyway, Sutton is blessed with good skin and fab hair so I can buy it.

Just found this show and I love it!!

Super late to this party as I just discovered the show.  But I wanted to chime in anyhow.  I'm 43 (same age as Liza I think... born in 1974).  I'm Asian and thanks to good genes and general aversion to sun exposure I have very few wrinkles.  I'm also very petite and generally perky so I'm ALWAYS mistaken for younger.  Before kids, I was still getting carded.  Now, I think I could easily pass for 32 which is around the age of most of my colleagues.  I'll often get some snarky remark about how I'll understand something "when I hit 40" and I just laugh to myself.   What's worse is that my husband who is just a year and a half older than me went premature grey and has those "angry 11" lines by his eyebrows all the time.  People think he's 5-7 years older than he is while most figure I'm about 7-10 years younger. 

When I'm looking at what ages people it's usually crow's feet, those "11" line wrinkles, horizontal forehead wrinkles, and general lack of baby fat.  "Luckily" I didn't get cheekbones until I was about 32, so even now I have a fairly fuller face.  

Sutton/Liza is adorable and gorgeous.  I do think that when compared to others on the show, she seems to be a "hard" 26 and the show often makes note of her hands (which has made me start moisturizing and using skincare on my hands too) 

58 minutes ago, CurlyATX said:

Sutton/Liza is adorable and gorgeous.  I do think that when compared to others on the show, she seems to be a "hard" 26 and the show often makes note of her hands (which has made me start moisturizing and using skincare on my hands too) 

The neck also tends to show age, so moisturize that too.

• Love 1

I am an extremely young looking 45. Good genes, never wore foundation, stayed out of the sun. At work I tend to hang with the under 30 crowd. I am also unmarried with no children (two factors I jokingly say add to my looking young, though I think they do help). They were SHOCKED to know I wasn't their age. My neck is definitely where my age shows though. 

For Sutton, I think she could pass for young 30s and just say she spent a lot of time in the sun without protection, or has old genes. I've seen 20-somethings that look a lot older than me and I look a lot younger than most 45 year olds, so I kind of take "looks such and such an age" with a grain of salt. You can't really judge someone's age just by looking at them. There are so many factors that affect how old a person looks.

I can't imagine anyone would question her age if she said she was 26 (28 by now maybe?) First, it would be incredibly rude to say "Wow, you look a LOT older than that!" bit like asking someone with a stomach if they are pregnant when they are not, and two, I just wouldn't care enough to find out. Yeah, she isn't just doing it for vanity, what she is doing is illegal (since she falsified documents) but as far as Kelsey and her friends go, I don't think they'd really question it. Though they might talk behind her back about how she looks old.  

• Love 2

I often will know someone casually in the work industry and assume based on her wrinkles that she's older than me... most times she isn't.  The sun is a bitch- what can I say?  And kids zap the life out of you-- both mentally and physically.  Before kids I had a much fuller face.  Between birthing kids and just lack of sleep, it shows more on my face.  

It's funny, the show has made more aware of how to dress/style myself younger.  And to moisturize! While I don't get carded, it's a nice bone when someone assumes I'm my son's cousin vs his mom.  

• Love 3

Sutton Foster has a "mature" look in general, and as others have mentioned, that coupled with her height work to make her appear older than 26. But at the start of the series, she could pass for early 30's. Youthful clothes and hairstyles helped perpetuate the illusion. But she definitely should not wear her hair up at work, which in season three she started doing quite a bit, for some reason. 

I actually liked most of her clothes in season one and many in season two. Season three has really been hit and miss, plus her age has caught up with her a bit.

I think the show isn't trying to sell the audience so hard that Liza is 26. At this point, you either accept it or you don't. I think it's dumb the secret isn't out at work to more people, but I also get why the show might want to save that. It's annoying, though.

• Love 1

Geez, how many seasons is she going to be 26?  Aren't we coming up on Season 5 already?  SEASON 5, people!  Nobody is 26 for that many seasons on any TV show.  That's asking too much.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Geez, how many seasons is she going to be 26?  Aren't we coming up on Season 5 already?  SEASON 5, people!  Nobody is 26 for that many seasons on any TV show.  That's asking too much.

She isn't 26 anymore. Sutton Foster mentioned in one of the interviews or inside the episode videos that Liza had a birthday (which was shown onscreen) so at the very least she's 27.

It does drive me crazy when shows try to pretend that time is not moving. I think one season of Pretty Little Liars took place over like a week. And it wasn't one of the early seasons when the actors were younger either. It was one of the later seasons where it was clear that these high school kids were in their 20s. While playing high school seniors, in real life two of the main actresses were 26, two of the other main cast members were 29, and another was 30 - all because in the earlier seasons, the show slowed down time in order to keep the girls in high school for as long as humanly possible.. S1 took place in September of their junior year, S2 began in November of their junior year, S3 began during senior year, S4 began in November of senior year, S5 began immediately after the events of S4 so it was STILL NOVEMBER of senior year, S6 began in March of senior year, and the first half of S7 was STILL their senior year (they finally did a five year time jump for the second half of S7). Yeah, these girls were high school seniors for five years. And that wasn't even the least believable thing about the show!

Time exists in a vacuum on Grey's Anatomy too. It felt like the main characters were still in their first year for like four seasons. 12 Monkeys also has had some seasons take place over a very short period of time, but I guess since they're time traveling, it kind of doesn't count?

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

She isn't 26 anymore. Sutton Foster mentioned in one of the interviews or inside the episode videos that Liza had a birthday (which was shown onscreen) so at the very least she's 27.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  But as you acknowledged, time is still existing in a vacuum on this show.  The only shows that works on are the animated ones because there is no sense of progression in time, but this show has definitely not been like that.  There is a sense that time is moving forward faster than Liza's age is as people's life situations evolve.