Type keyword(s) to search

Liza: She's 26! / She's 26?

On 5/17/2018 at 2:35 PM, Yeah No said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  But as you acknowledged, time is still existing in a vacuum on this show.  The only shows that works on are the animated ones because there is no sense of progression in time, but this show has definitely not been like that.  There is a sense that time is moving forward faster than Liza's age is as people's life situations evolve.

The funny thing is, that while time stopped for the characters' ageing, its fast forwarding through all the publishing processes - releasing a book, getting movie deals and follow ups on sales figures usually take a tad longer than a few weeks. I think the only reference we have regarding pace is Caitlyn?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Aulty said:

its fast forwarding through all the publishing processes - releasing a book, getting movie deals and follow ups on sales figures usually take a tad longer than a few weeks.

Which is fine, IMO. I don't need to see Liza and everyone hunkered over sales figures or P&Ls. As someone who's worked in book publishing, I think that's the most boring part. Unless there's a plot reason to show any of that kind of thing, I think it's fine too compress the actual publishing process.

On 5/22/2018 at 10:57 AM, dubbel zout said:

Which is fine, IMO. I don't need to see Liza and everyone hunkered over sales figures or P&Ls. As someone who's worked in book publishing, I think that's the most boring part. Unless there's a plot reason to show any of that kind of thing, I think it's fine too compress the actual publishing process.

True, but I think the point is that they are showing that kind of stuff happening very quickly while the characters are barely aging, timewise. Certainly it would've taken a lot longer to get "Marriage Vacation" to print than what, a few weeks from start to finish? Everyone should've had a birthday by the time it was ready to hit the bookshelves!

1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

True, but I think the point is that they are showing that kind of stuff happening very quickly while the characters are barely aging, timewise. Certainly it would've taken a lot longer to get "Marriage Vacation" to print than what, a few weeks from start to finish? Everyone should've had a birthday by the time it was ready to hit the bookshelves!

Exactly - I don't need to see every minute detail of the publication process, but I do want the timeline to make enough sense to be believable. The fact that we saw Marriage Vacation go from an unsolicited manuscript that was handed to Liza during episode 7 to Pauline doing a tv interview on GMA about it in episode 12 means that the book process is really unrealistic. Sometimes one episode occurs over the course of a day or two which makes the book timeline even more unbelievable. In the S4 finale, it's mentioned that Josh and Clare have only known each other for three weeks. They met in episode 8 which means that Pauline went from pitching her manuscript to national tv interview in under a month.

• Love 3

I don't think she could pull off the lie legally when it comes to getting a job or else everyone could do this sort of thing...like say you're trying to shave off a few years because of a bad work history.    What about her social security number?  Other than that, I think she looks really good...for her age!  Ha...what age?  Seriously, she's attractive...but 26?  Nah...however, it's just fiction so you just go with it.