Type keyword(s) to search

Give The Devil His Due: Lucifer In The Media

I guess this counts: that One Million Moms group is pissed at Olive Garden, because they advertise for this show.  They claim OG is now "supporting sympathy towards the devil and glorifying Satan."  I now want Olive Garden and the show to just double-down and actually have a scene with Lucifer in an Olive Garden, just chowing down and enjoying the now evil pasta from Hell.

• Love 4

Now evil? The place already has the best, most extensive dessert selection of any chain restaurant I've ever seen and stuffs you so full of pasta and breadsticks you can't possibly eat anything from it! Lucifer probably had a hand in designing the menu!

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1

Corden didn't really get more than the most basic description of the series premise out of him, but Ellis was charming talking about family reactions, inept soccer matches, and drinking exploits in his theatre days. Also, they showed a promo clip of next week's episode that had Lucifer confronting a fraud who's impersonating him for fame and causing his reputation as a lover to take a hit.

off to pop popcorn for what should be a gruesome comeuppance...

• Love 1

I followed one of those "promoted stories" links at the bottom of the page here. According to the resulting article, Lucifer is one of the 5 most hated new shows on TV right now. Whatever. Interesting that of the five shows mentioned, four of them are on FOX.

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 1

I followed one of those "promoted stories" links at the bottom of the page here. According to the resulting article, Lucifer is one of the 5 most hated new shows on TV right now. Whatever. Interesting that of the five shows mentioned, four of them are on FOX.

That's why I came here! The article freaked me out and made me think the ratings were poor.

The ratings did go under 4 million viewers for the first time this last episode with Gotham not X-Files as a lead in for the first time, which is a real shame considering how good the episode was. There were terrible reviews when the show started but from what I've seen online the response is people surprised by how much they're liking the show. I hope it keeps enough of a following for a season 2. By Fox standards so far it's not doing bad, but, they've also had a lot of duds especially this season. So far I think the show is doing better in the ratings than Scream Queens did halfway through its season which Fox put so much hope into and I'd assume it was more expensive given some of the names involved, and it  got renewed but supposedly SQ did well in DVR/late viewing numbers. I'm still nervous about it not getting a season 2, especially if there's more of a decline.

Not only is the demo the same but this week the total viewers is back over 4mil and last week it was under 4 for the first time. The total viewers was pretty close to Gotham. Fingers crossed that could appeal as a line up next season (I'm not a super regular Gotham viewer but I can see it isn't as procedural as it was last season so maybe this is the set up for shows now, look like a procedural until you're on air long enough to do what you actually want.)

• Love 1

CTV in Canada showed a different promo for upcoming "Pops" episode than the Fox one. I can't find it online anywhere, but it focused more on the procedural part than Chloe's family drama.

Looks like they're going to tease Lucifer's mortality again as there is one scene with a knife-wielding dude approaching Lucifer and Lucifer saying, "Careful, Julian. You don't know who you're playing with." And other scene with Lucifer & Chloe trapped in a restaurant fire and Chloe saying, "We've got to get out of here. If you have any ideas, now's the time."

• Love 1

Other than "Priest Walks Into A Bar" of course I've only seen the SVU episode mentioned in that article... and the two should not be put together! SVU had some standout moments for one of the characters but the case was convoluted and they were definitely looking to ramp up shock value (which was actually lame/looked like they were trying too hard) at several turns (plus, it was the 2nd part of a two parter that aired two weeks after the first part which makes me think they wanted this timing more) they even kinda shrugged at one point and was like "yeah, Catholics" as an excuse for lazy writing/a quick end. Aside from it being a more solid episode of television as a whole, Father Frank was a great guy (who would be sickened by what was being done on SVU I'm sure.) Lucifer, who is supposed to be an ass every episode to a certain point, was proven wrong at least in this case about his view of Priests, but his 'Dad' issues stand, which if the day ever comes that Luci gets on good terms with "Dad", this show ends, no? Questioning faith/religion isn't an attack.

Edited by Gigi43

I'm pretty confident that Lucifer will get a season 2 - FOX just negotiated an "Exclusive Hulu Deal" for three of it's shows, including Lucifer. Why bother if you don't think there will be a second season to air and therefore put up on Hulu?

Ugh, Hulu. They need to stop trying to make Hulu happen. Who pays for a service with ads you are forced to watch and crappy streaming quality?

Who pays for a service with ads you are forced to watch and crappy streaming quality?

I do? My Hulu Plus streams are superior to both Amazon and Netflix, and I don't have to watch commercials. It's great. 

• Love 1

Netflix doesn't have next day airings of shows and my cable on demand can be slow in adding episodes so I find Hulu beneficial. Admittedly I'm cheap so I haven't paid for add free Hulu, but you don't get full commercial breaks and it just doesn't bother you (yet when I used to tape things on VCR if I was watching while taking, I'd go through the effort of not recording the Ads for future viewings, go figure...)

I wonder if this deal with Hulu, since Hulu took Mindy Project when Fox ended it, also means Hulu would get a chance to pick up either Lucifer or Blindspot (the other show seems to be mostly about the shows archive having had 5/6 seasons already) if they're cancelled by the networks? I want Lucifer to stay on TV... But Hulu isn't censored like netowrk TV, there would be so much potential in Luci: Uncensored! Though the effects budget could get even smaller, which would stink.

I admit, I'm bummed about this deal with Hulu. It's a good service in theory, but in my experience it just doesn't operate very well.  Several of my friends warned me not to subscribe but I did anyway.  It worked well enough on my laptop most of the time, but not on any other device.  If I pay for a streaming service, it needs to work on my tablet, phone and especially tv.  I really want to see this show continue (depending on how the final episodes go, at least), but hate the idea it would be on Hulu.  

• Love 1

I admit, I'm bummed about this deal with Hulu. It's a good service in theory, but in my experience it just doesn't operate very well.  Several of my friends warned me not to subscribe but I did anyway.  It worked well enough on my laptop most of the time, but not on any other device.  If I pay for a streaming service, it needs to work on my tablet, phone and especially tv.  I really want to see this show continue (depending on how the final episodes go, at least), but hate the idea it would be on Hulu.

Yeah, the stream is crap and they have a lot of restrictions. You can only watch certain shows on laptop/tablets only and not through smart TV or Blu-Ray players. If I pay for a service, I want no ads period, no rules against fast-forwarding, no limits on how I watch it and perfect picture. Netflix and Amazon have that. Hulu doesn't and is a huge rip-off IMO.

I happened to just go on Facebook to check something and saw the shows official page announce season 2 and my day was made! I've been holding off telling a friend of mine to watch because whenever I say to watch a new show it then doesn't get a season 2 and I'm including Ellis' Rush, now I have binge watching to encourage.
https://www.facebook.com/LuciferonFOX/photos/a.948423848548455.1073741829.877327628991411/1100425823348256/?type=3&theater

(edited)

I'm delighted to see that the show's been renewed because I'm curious where they're planning to take Lucifer as a character. 

But I have to admit, I laughed a little at reading this paragraph in the Variety article about the show's renewal:

“We knew we had something special with ‘Lucifer,’ from the engaging performances of Tom, Lauren and the rest of the charismatic cast, to Len Wiseman’s visually stunning look of the show and the amazing storytelling savvy of the Bruckheimer team,” said Fox entertainment president David Madden.

For me, it's pretty much the performances of Lucifer and Maze (and Trixie and Dr. Linda) that sell it for me as a show. It's definitely NOT the writing (i.e. the "amazing storytelling savvy") - LOL! They need some major work on that aspect!

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

Doing the happy dance!

It's really just the procedural writing that is subpar. The writing on the supernatural aspects (when they have them) is fine, and the interactions between the main cast are generally wonderful.

• Love 1

Ugh, Hulu. They need to stop trying to make Hulu happen. Who pays for a service with ads you are forced to watch and crappy streaming quality?

i do lol i refuse to pay over $100 for cable. between hulu, netflix, amazon and digital antenna for free local channels i'm good. I'm watching Lucifer on Hulu anyway, so... lol

great news about renewal though! yay for another season of Tom!

Yesssssss,  Lucifer is renewed!  Praise be to "Dad"!!!

Now I'm picturing Lucifer with a petulant look on his face, saying, "It has nothing to do with dear old Dad. In fact, he's pretty judgy about shows like this. Too much sex and violence, really. Which I don't understand... that's the best part."

(Heee.)

• Love 12
(edited)

So...did the eeeeeeevil TV programming executives look deeply into Ellis' eyes and ask him what his deeeeeepst desire/need was before agreeing to the renewal?  ;)

Does anyone know how many eps have been ordered/guaranteed/optioned?

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes

Picked up for season 2? Good news!

I have been avoiding posting here due to my disappointment with what happened to Sleepy Hollow, and Lucifer's tone reminded me so much of season one Sleepy Hollow (also,Tom Ellis really made me of think of Tom Mison with his performance). It is so much fun I was sure it would be cancelled prematurely.

Now that I have a season 2 to look forward to (and I have bid "good riddance" to SH) I look forward to posting here.

:D

• Love 2

I'm not so sure about this being good news, considering what Fox has done to other shows I used to watch and love (bailed on Bones after the Zach is a serial killer debacle and Sleepy Hollow just broke my heart). I've enjoyed Lucifer so much this season, despite my reservations going in - I just know TPTB will screw it up. For the record, this is probably one of the only shows I've ever watched where I'm NOT shipping the leads. I love the reluctant partner relationship between Lucifer and Chloe but don't want to see them as a couple. I'd rather keep the Elementary dynamic with this one. Anyway -- yay for the renewal ? and hoping for another great season.

• Love 2

I'm not so sure about this being good news, considering what Fox has done to other shows I used to watch and love (bailed on Bones after the Zach is a serial killer debacle and Sleepy Hollow just broke my heart). I've enjoyed Lucifer so much this season, despite my reservations going in - I just know TPTB will screw it up. For the record, this is probably one of the only shows I've ever watched where I'm NOT shipping the leads. I love the reluctant partner relationship between Lucifer and Chloe but don't want to see them as a couple. I'd rather keep the Elementary dynamic with this one. Anyway -- yay for the renewal ? and hoping for another great season.

I will share a corner of 'do not ship' the leads either.

Tom and Lauren have very good chemistry but I find myself enjoying it most when they're being platonic buddies.  Honestly, I'd be perfectly happy if the show comes up with a way to keep Dan around and they work on Dan and Chloe's marriage rather than follow the trope of 'leads must be shipped'.

• Love 4

If there was ever a show that should avoid the cliché of having the male and female leads hook up it is a show where the male lead is the actual devil! I do think it is more interesting and more unique to have them remain colleagues and not ever sleep together or hook up of fall in love. Let's go crazy. Have Lucifer come to appreciate Dan and do a 180 and start shipping him and Chloe. Imagine her reaction when Luci goes from trying to screw her to trying to get her back together with her ex. And wouldn't it be great for little Trixie if her parents actually worked out their difficulties, instead of her stepfather being satan.

I just fear that the only way to really make the ship sail is to make Luci more and more human. And then we basically have Castle and I gave up on that show when I felt it became too shippy. I don't want to have to give up this one too. Especially since I have come to LOVE Maze, Dr. Linda, Trixie, hell, even Amendude (but not because he's nice but because he's hot as hell and I'm pretty shallow when it comes to TV). 

For me the Ships the single least compelling thing about the show and the thing most likely to destroy it for me. Really, anything involving Chloe (other than Trxie) bores me. I have no interest in the Palmetto? thing, or the cop procedural stuff, or Lucifer's odd obsession with the most boring person on Earth. What keeps me coming back is that this is about the Devil trying to once again rebel from Daddy, about a demon who can't seem to figure out what to do with herself when she's not torturing sinners in hell, a little girl who befriends demons and fallen angels and a shrink who gets to pick the devils brain. I have a moderate interest in Lucifer on cases, but only in what they show about him and his almost pathological need to punish bad people. I don't need this show to ever be a will they won't they melodrama.

• Love 2

Great interview with Tom Ellis in Empire magazine. No spoilers but he does talk a bit about season 2, so it must be really recent.

I'm fine with both Lucifer & Chloe getting together or staying platonic partners. Whichever way they go, I want it to be entertaining and most of all organic to the characters. Right now I prefer Chloe with Dan because I'd like to see them try to work out their differences for Trixie's sake, and a separated couple reconciling is not something often seen on TV shows. Plus Lucifer is a LONG way from being emotionally mature enough for a serious relationship. But a season or two from now, given the right character development, sure.

• Love 3

It seems that Mike Carey likes the TV show, or at least Tom Ellis' portrayal of Lucifer:

Mike Carey Would Totally Write An Episode Of Lucifer… An Interview On The Fellside

OM: Finally then, Mike, it was announced recently that Lucifer will be renewed for a second season. You’ve written the screenplay for the film adaption of your novel, The Girl With All The Gifts, would you be interested to write the odd episode of Lucifer?

MC: Damn straight! I would totally do that and do my damnedest to sneak in a story from the comic book series. I think American networks will go with known American writers with proven track records, but you never know.

Also, Neil Gaiman has written episodes of Doctor Who, so it would be pretty cool if he could write a future episode of Lucifer as well.

• Love 1

A couple new interviews with Tom Ellis. There are hints but no real spoilers about the last two episodes of the season.

Tom Ellis Previews Lucifer's Helluva Chloe Problem, Shocking Finale

‘Lucifer’ Star Tom Ellis on the Season 2 Pick-Up, Despondency over the Devil Rumor Mill, and More

ETA: Found some more interviews:

"Lucifer" Star Tom Ellis Teases Trip to Hell in Season Finale

Hell Yeah! Tom Ellis Explains How Lucifer is Heating Up This Week

This one is a bit spoilery for the #TeamLucifer ep.

‘Lucifer’s’ Tom Ellis teases ‘cataclysmic fight’ between brothers, an ‘unexpected’ finale

Interesting quote:

Can we expect Lucifer to sing again?

Oh, I hope so! Lucifer singing is something that came out of – all the writers and all the actors met up before the season started as a sort of get to know you, break the ice kind of session, and we all ended up at a karaoke place. I ended up doing my usual karaoke number, which is “Mustang Sally” and our showrunner, Joe, was like, “You got my mind thinking over this.”

ETA part deux:

Fox's "Lucifer: Outlasts the Haters, Heads Toward First-Season Finale

On Lucifer's accent:

One reason he's so attractive is his British accent, but Ellis says the character wasn't written that way:  "I tried it with an American accent and it just didn't seem right, you know?" Ellis says.  "He sounded like a bit of a douche."

"I think it just seemed like the right thing," he adds. "American people often say that British people can say what the hell they want, but with a British accent it sounds completely charming.  So that seemed like quite a good tool for Lucifer."

‘Lucifer’ Star Tom Ellis Takes Us To Hell (In A Nice Way)

The piano question is finally answered:

Speaking of communicating, one thing that’s been a treat for Lucifer fans is Tom’s occasional musical performance, such as the one we saw in the most recent episode. He revealed that while that impressive singing voice is definitely his, the ivory-tickling skills are not.

“I’ve never learned to play the piano,” he said. “It’s me singing but it’s not me accompanying myself, let’s put it that way.”

Edited by vampdetective
  • Love 3

Oh, I hope they do something interesting with the depiction of Hell. I'm sick of Supernatural portraying it as a dirty warehouse with a few goons in black suits hanging around—let's see something original.

• Love 3

Great interview with Lucifer showrunner Joe Henderson and exec producer Idly Modovich in Empire Online. Lots of insight into the thinking behind the humor in the show, where the procedural aspect fits in, the pacing of the season-long arc, etc. plus some neat details about specific episodes.

Henderson: When I first came on the show, and being a huge fan of the comic, I was, like, "Are they really going to make a show where this character that I love is going around solving crime?" Then when I watched the pilot I realized that the procedural is just an engine that lets us play with the characters. I hope it's something we really got good at in the back half where the cases are used to help illustrate our characters and their journeys.

This gives me hope that the writers recognize the procedural aspect of the show is the weakest part and keep improving it (or make it less important, like on Gotham) in season 2.

Modrovich: Our third episode is "The Would Be Prince Of Darkness," but that took some gymnastics. That was originally episode ten, but we needed to slow down the mythology; that Lucifer was getting to be too vulnerable too quickly. We wanted to put another episode between two and three - we called this one 2.5.... We just wanted to slow play our mythology, so that it's one step forward, two steps back. That's the dance that we play with the romance, too. We decided early on that the most interesting thing to do between Lucifer and Chloe would be to really find something beyond romance, yet Lucifer is all about the Id. What would be meaningful for him would be to have a true connection and trust and friendship and love between he and Chloe, so we knew that was going to take a long time. Kind of the same way as with the mythology. He might make a pass at her which might seem like a step forward in the romance, but then realize that wasn't satisfying and she didn't respond or whatever, and that's two steps back. With the mythology, he might have a flash of humanity, but he's so inherently selfish that he has to almost be afraid of that feeling and back way up from it.

I guess this is confirmation that the plan is for an eventual Luci/Chloe romance, though I guess they could change their minds depending on how the show and characters develop.

Modovich: We had a couple of episodes dealing with Lucifer's wings, and we went through a lot of renderings to get them right. [Director/Producer] Len Wiseman had a lot of say about the wings. They were too small, too big, then they were stiff...just 40 versions between sketches and then just in terms of what was on screen. The visual effects people went back to the drawing board quite a few times; they were very patient.

I had no idea so much work went into the wings but it was worth it!

This is sure to make One Million Moms overjoyed:

Henderson: You know, one of the things we set out to do was not make an anti-God show. In fact, you could argue that we're a weirdly Christian show for a show about the Devil, because a lot of what we're talking about is redemption; whether or not doing good deeds can let you come back from a terrible act.
Edited by vampdetective
  • Love 1

Q&A With Lucifer Showrunner Joe Henderson | AfterBuzz TV

There's a lot in the interview but these are the bits related to season 2...

Joe confirmed that Fox ordered 13 episodes for season 2 with the option to add more episodes. He won't know whether the show will air in the fall or in January until the Fox upfronts in a couple weeks. He said season 2 will keep the same mixture of procedural and supernatural, but the cases will be more like the later episodes of season 1 and be related to something going on with Lucifer. The writers have a list of characters they would like to bring back if they come up with a good story to tell. The list includes the insane music producer, biker gang leader, Chloe's mom and Malcolm! They currently don't have any plans to have God personified in the flesh and will keep him as a distant father.

Collider interview with D.B. Woodside

Interesting comment from D.B. I wonder if it was the network's idea to keep the early episodes heavily procedural or if it was the network's idea to go more supernatural. Or if the notes were about totally different things.

As everyone knows, first seasons can be a little rough because you’re still getting so many notes from the network. We started out one way, and then the network has some suggestions. So then, you start going another way, and then the network has some more suggestions. And then, you might want to go back to where you started. It was that kind of a season, but it was fun.

• Love 1