Type keyword(s) to search

Give The Devil His Due: Lucifer In The Media

It always turns me off when people behind the show start talking about how different they are or how clever they are because they think they did something that's never been done before. Different, as you said before, would have been getting Chloe and Dan back together. Different would have been having the two "hot" leads NOT fall for each other. Different is not having the two hot leads flirt, kiss and then almost instantly throw a third party in the mix so they don't get them together too quickly. That's TV 101 there.

I had really hoped this show was going to be different, that they weren't going to go there, but they did and I am very disappointed. Even if I keep watching, I will miss what they show could have been if they'd avoided hooking up the leads.

• Love 9

Lucifer did face a bit of competition in season one when Chloe and Dan were kinda getting  back together. I know Lucifer  and Chloe hadn't kissed yet but still  it's not as uncharted as that interview would have us believe. I'm  bummed  about the triangle because  I'm  already  tired of dragging  out telling  Chloe the truth  and I don't  buy Lucifer  as someone who would  actually  be happy experiencing a relationship with someone like Chloe, a mom who very much likes spending her nights  with her kid when she can. Earth is almost like college for Luci, he's still exploring  being out on his  own and doesn't  want to be tied into a life. They haven't done a thing to convince me otherwise and a love triangle won't change that.

@Mabinogia I so agree about shows talking about  how different they are. They're not. It makes me think of South Parks "Simpsons already did it!" Episode. Everything's been done before and triangles are way over done. But I'm  still hopeful as long as the Lucifer producers don't  take everything super seriously or buy into their hype too much it could be okay. I know that it's a completely different show all around  but the writers and  actors of "This Is Us" seem to be buying into their own hype on a level that is making me expect a terrible season of trying too hard. I'm not getting  that yet from this crew. Yet.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 5

I'm usually not keen on the triangles, but this show has proven more than once that it can take an overused trope and make a candy out of it (one was Candy... literally... get it? *crickets* yeah, I'll just show myself out lol)

I'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt here. super long leash.

• Love 4

Anything on my favorite Lucifer character Linda? — Samuel
Linda is not really dealing well with the trauma she suffered at the hands of Charlotte in the finale, so she’ll need to seek out a therapist of her own — of sorts. “Because she’s a therapist, she thinks she knows how to handle trauma,” EP Ildy Modrovich says. “But the problem is, she doesn’t have somebody else on the other side; there’s nobody to sit in the chair across from her, so she’s dealing with it herself at first. She finally realizes she needs somebody to sit in the proverbial chair for her, so she seeks out an interesting partnership, a new friendship, that will be very exciting.” Oh, and you better believe Maze will be bummed over this new development when she returns.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/17/spoiler-room-arrow-once-upon-time-scandal/

• Love 1

Lucifer (Fox)

Premieres: Monday, Oct. 2 at 8/7c

Where We Left Off: While en route to tell Chloe (Lauren German) about his otherworldly nature, Lucifer (Tom Ellis) was attacked by an unknown assailant and found himself stranded in the desert... with the wings he had removed suddenly back on.

The Scoop: Lucifer will soon make his way back to Los Angeles, where he makes it his mission to find out who attacked him. Convinced his father is screwing with him again, he'll learn he's being pestered by a mysterious dark figure known as the Sinnerman. This season we'll also meet a new character by the name of Lt. Marcus Pierce, played by Smallville's Tom Welling, who may know a thing or two about Lucifer's newest enemy. "[He] suggests to Lucifer that he knows about the Sinnerman and they start to collaborate together," reveals Tom Ellis.

Of course, what remains to be seen is Pierce's true intention. "You're not sure [whether Pierce has connections to the supernatural/celestial world]. I think that's the point. We don't want anyone to know just yet," teases Welling. "But he's there for a reason, he's there for a purpose."

Could that purpose be to come between Lucifer and Chloe? Because Pierce will quickly develop a romantic connection with the detective, much to Lucifer's chagrin. "Obviously, when someone comes into the fold and makes [Chloe] look in a different direction, one can only imagine how that affects Lucifer and his envy and jealousy and all the other bad things that he's made up of," says Ellis.

http://www.tvguide.com/special/fall-preview/gallery/2017-returning-fall-shows/37/

• Love 1
On 8/24/2017 at 7:28 AM, FinnishViewer said:

From TVLine; The title of Lucifer Episode 5 is “Chloe Does Lucifer.”

On 8/24/2017 at 7:03 PM, Mabinogia said:

It's like they are actively trying to get me to give up. 

Given the way they like to play with things, that makes me think that Chloe has to pretend to be Lucifer for some reason, rather than the usual connotation.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Given the way they like to play with things, that makes me think that Chloe has to pretend to be Lucifer for some reason, rather than the usual connotation.

That was my thought as well but I'm still not sure if I'm thrilled or not. The fear that I have is that it'll be an episode in which she's mocking him and no matter what, I know I wouldn't like that because it would be unjustified (since she is the one who isn't believing him). But maybe it'll be simply in the way Lucifer handles the cases or she'll go undercover as a bar owner or something.

7 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

That was my thought as well but I'm still not sure if I'm thrilled or not. The fear that I have is that it'll be an episode in which she's mocking him and no matter what, I know I wouldn't like that because it would be unjustified (since she is the one who isn't believing him). But maybe it'll be simply in the way Lucifer handles the cases or she'll go undercover as a bar owner or something.

Well, it was kind of fun when Dan mocked/did Lucifer during his improve class.

• Love 4

Ask Matt: Fall Preview (‘Me, Myself & I,’ ‘S.W.A.T.’), ‘Lucifer,’ ‘Twin Peaks,’ ‘Dance’ and Reality Judges

Ask Matt:

Give the Devil His Due

Question: Why hasn’t Tom Ellis been nominated for an Emmy and/or Golden Globe as Best Actor for Lucifer? I’d be hard-pressed to think of another actor who can display his incredible range as a singer, actor and musician. Kudos to the producers; you dipped your hand into the goodie bag and pulled out a gem. Clearly, Ellis is an exceptional talent and should receive the recognition and credit he so richly deserves. Seriously, who else could portray the title character and the seriousness of the subject matter displaying a combination of moving drama interspersed with hysterically funny comedy and devilish charm? — Rafferty

Matt Roush: There’s no doubt his charisma is the primary factor in Lucifer’s success, but whatever Tom Ellis’s merits, he’s operating in a genre that tends not to be much of a factor in most awards shows: the supernatural, plus the hybrid of humor and drama that makes it hard to peg. He’s also handicapped by appearing on a broadcast network, when the majority of nominations for drama shows anymore go to cable, premium or streaming. NBC’s This Is Us is an exception to that rule, and with two actors from that show—Sterling K. Brown and Milo Ventimiglia—nominated for lead drama actor, it would have taken a miracle from above (or possibly below) for Ellis to have made the cut.

Me: I thought Ellis explained that it's not him playing the piano. Did I not hear correctly? He certainly IS talented, though. In fact, the entire cast is, and they look like they're having damn fun while they act their collective asses off, including our favorite Little Monkey.

• Love 2

Is it possible "Chloe Does Lucifer" could be one of the episodes already filmed. I'm  terrible  linking from my tablet which I'm on now, but in the preview of the show that  was shown at ComicCon Chloe is doing a Lucifer impression of sorts... while seemingly drunk with Linda at Lucifers place. That could inspire the title. It's on YouTube  if you search Lucifer Seasons 3 Comic Con trailer.

Season Three is almost here! So a friendly reminder to all;  

If the article contains spoilers, please tag them.  If you feel the article is all spoilers, then by all means post it in the spoiler thread.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:38 AM, Mabinogia said:

and my worst nightmare for this show is now reality. A fucking love triangle?

Seriously a love triangle? Ugh just ugh I had a hard time getting into this show because of the inevitable Chloe and Lucifer end game which I just wasn't interested in. But then I watched the episode where Lucifer pretends to be a priest "For your penance: ten bloody Mary's and a good shag" and I enjoyed it immensely and I started watching again. However, all this Chloe & Lucifer are soo in love + add in this love triangle and I'm not sure I'll be sticking around for the next season. 

• Love 2

Well, to be fair, there was already a love triangle (Luci-Chloe-Dan). Dan moved on to Charlotte, but there were still lingering feelings from Dan towards Chloe. In addition, there are scenes of Chloe in a uniform kissing Dan. I watched Smallville in its entirety, so I'm a fan of Tom Welling, but I doubt he'll be in the picture for long. For one thing, he's playing a serious, by-the-book character and ever since she met Lucifer, Chloe is kind of on Team Lucifer, along with Maze, Linda, Amenadude, and even Trixie. (Oops, I forgot Ella, who is definitely on Team Lucifer) She's loosened up and is kind of enjoying her partnership with Luci. For the other thing, I'm watching Lucifer until it goes off the air. I love the show. It ticks all the boxes for me.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Well, to be fair, there was already a love triangle (Luci-Chloe-Dan). Dan moved on to Charlotte, but there were still lingering feelings from Dan towards Chloe. 

Lucifer-Chloe-Dan didn't really feel like a traditional love triangle to me. I'm probably misremembering, but I don't remember Lucifer being in love with Chloe when Dan still had feelings for her.  Or maybe I was ok with the love triangle because I was hoping that the writers would be original and have Chloe get back with Dan. This potential new love triangle is annoying me because it's been done so many times before on other shows, and I just have no interest in watching it. As much as I wish they weren't it's obvious Lucifer & Chloe are end game, so I really don't see the point of another love triangle.  

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:50 AM, Mabinogia said:

It always turns me off when people behind the show start talking about how different they are or how clever they are because they think they did something that's never been done before. Different, as you said before, would have been getting Chloe and Dan back together. Different would have been having the two "hot" leads NOT fall for each other. Different is not having the two hot leads flirt, kiss and then almost instantly throw a third party in the mix so they don't get them together too quickly. That's TV 101 there.

I was so hoping the writers for Lucifer would be original, but so far they haven't surprised me. Lucifer (the male lead) falls in love with Chloe (the female lead). the female lead starts to have feelings for the male lead; something happens to keep them apart; a new love interest enters into the mix; the male lead gets jealous etc etc. I was really really hoping for something different, but the whole story feels TV romance 101. This potential love triangle makes me think the writers are going to focus even more on Lucifer/Chloe's relationship which is my least favorite thing about the show.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:10 PM, BW Manilowe said:

Well that doesn't make me excited for season 3. I personally have no interest in watching jealous Lucifer. Lucifer is so much more fun as a carefree fun playboy.   Also I have to disagree with the article that Lucifer & Chloe are the show's best 'ship. I'm not sure who I'd say was the shows best ship, but I'd say basically anyone else. lol

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 3

I just binge watched this show over the last week or so, and was really enjoying it. I'm not really on-board for Lucifer/Chloe, because I don't quite see the chemistry between them as romantic. Something just doesn't quite work about it. But it wouldn't bother me too much for them to get together (as they inevitably will). However, it looks like I chose the wrong time to do my catch up, because I don't do love triangles. It is the one trope I absolutely loathe, especially when every writer thinks they're putting a new spin on it, only to do exactly the same damned thing as everyone else.

'It will strengthen their relationship' 

'Brings out his/her darker side'

'It will force him/her to confront his/her feelings'

Yeah, heard it all before. Not interested. Oh well, this was a fun show, but never mind.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Fireball said:

Well that doesn't make me excited for season 3. I personally have no interest in watching jealous Lucifer. Lucifer is so much more fun as a careless fun playboy.   Also I have to disagree with the article that Lucifer & Chloe are the show's best 'ship. I'm not sure who I'd say was the shows best ship, but I'd say basically anyone else. lol

To point A: Yes, playboy Lucifer is why I turned on to this show. I LOVE him as a single, hedonistic playboy running a nightclub. I really don't want a domesticated devil. BLECH

To point B: I'd say (mostly platonic but all better than L&C) Lucy & Trixie, Lucy & Linda, Lucy & Maz, Trixie and Maze, Maze & Amen (romantic, they're hot together), Maze & Linda, Lucy and Dan, Maze & Chloe (really the only time I like Chloe is with Maze)...Lucy & his car (I am in love with that car!), Lucy and that girl who died in the first ep, Lucy and every other person he's interacted with...and still not Lucy and Chloe. I don't hate them as partners, but I despise the thought of them as a couple on so many levels.

• Love 3

I was excited when they added the four (?) standalone episodes to the end of last season knowing it would extend the show... but now I'm bummed about the exact same episodes kicking off the next season, because I don't think the plot will really go anywhere for that stretch. 

2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Lucy and every other person he's interacted with...and still not Lucy and Chloe. I don't hate them as partners, but I despise the thought of them as a couple on so many levels.

Even Suki, from the Stewardess Interruptus episode? The one that thinks of Luci as a cross between her Hello Kitty blankie and some pizza? Damn, you REALLY hate Luci and Chloe, don't you? I like them as a couple. Are they ideal? No, but they're a fun couple. Dan is boring, and Chloe is boring when she's with Dan. She's fun and precocious when she's with Luci.

10 hours ago, Fireball said:

Lucifer-Chloe-Dan didn't really feel like a traditional love triangle to me. I'm probably misremembering, but I don't remember Lucifer being in love with Chloe when Dan still had feelings for her.  Or maybe I was ok with the love triangle because I was hoping that the writers would be original and have Chloe get back with Dan. This potential new love triangle is annoying me because it's been done so many times before on other shows, and I just have no interest in watching it. As much as I wish they weren't it's obvious Lucifer & Chloe are end game, so I really don't see the point of another love triangle.  

I was so hoping the writers for Lucifer would be original, but so far they haven't surprised me. Lucifer (the male lead) falls in love with Chloe (the female lead). the female lead starts to have feelings for the male lead; something happens to keep them apart; a new love interest enters into the mix; the male lead gets jealous etc etc. I was really really hoping for something different, but the whole story feels TV romance 101. This potential love triangle makes me think the writers are going to focus even more on Lucifer/Chloe's relationship which is my least favorite thing about the show.

Well that doesn't make me excited for season 3. I personally have no interest in watching jealous Lucifer. Lucifer is so much more fun as a careless fun playboy.   Also I have to disagree with the article that Lucifer & Chloe are the show's best 'ship. I'm not sure who I'd say was the shows best ship, but I'd say basically anyone else. lol

I'm not sure I'd call Lucifer "careless". "Carefree" works better, I think.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

No, but they're a fun couple. Dan is boring, and Chloe is boring when she's with Dan. She's fun and precocious when she's with Luci.

If I saw them as fun I'd like them. I just don't. Rather than him bringing her up I feel like she drags him down. I actually prefer Dan and Chloe together. I feel like they fit better while either Chloe or Lucy will have to change drastically to be a couple and I don't want that. As partners they play well off each other. If they end up in a relationship the partnership will change. Unless Chloe has no self respect and doesn't mind watching her boyfriend flirt with everything with boobs or Lucy becomes a good, chaste boy who only has eyes for one little mortal which, why bother making him the Devil?

I wanted to see how the Devil coped in our world, not how he fell in love with one of us. Now I watch to see how a demon (Maze) copes in our world which is a far more interesting story.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I wanted to see how the Devil coped in our world, not how he fell in love with one of us. Now I watch to see how a demon (Maze) copes in our world which is a far more interesting story.

Why not both? We cope with our world while we also fall in love and learn to cope with that. Why is it one or the other and not both? With Lucifer, it's all new and he has to learn how to deal with the other side of humanity, not just the cruel side.

Hey fellow demons, a reminder that is the media thread.  There seems to be an awful lot of speculation going on here, and that discussion belongs in the cool speculation thread.  Spoilers belong in the spoilers thread, and if you must refer to spoilers here, please tag them.

I'll talk to @theatremouse about opening a character relationship talk thread since I don't think we have one yet.

Hang in there- the season starts soon and we'll have episode threads to play in then!

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Lucifer Showrunners Reveal the Devil Will Embrace His Dark Side This Season

From TV Guide, the article contains a hefty dose of spoilers about the premiere and beyond.

Spoiler

Have they said if the Sinnerman is a celestial being? I sure hope so if he was able to give Lucifer his wings back. I'm already very skeptical over the fact that anyone but Dad can give someone wings.

Why are they suddenly calling them angel wings? Lucifer had wings as the devil, they established that Maze clipped his wings once they came down to earth, and yet, he still was the devil. I understand why he would be upset to have his wings/wings back after he had gotten rid of them but as the devil, he was a fallen angel, so their labelling doesn't make sense.

Lucifer told Chloe from the beginning that he was the devil, just like he told everyone else. He was as insistent with Chloe as he was with Dr Linda. He has also seen the effect that revealing his true self has on people and all of a sudden, he's afraid Chloe won't accept him?

On a not so serious note, I'm not sure if I'd call Lucifer a "Peter Pan". If they called Castle that, I'd say, sure. But Lucifer, no. If anything, he'd be the R-rated Peter Pan version. ;-)

If Lucifer embracing his darker side means we get to see S1 Lucifer, I'm all for it! He was fun!

On 30/09/2017 at 7:25 AM, CheshireCat said:
  Hide contents

On a not so serious note, I'm not sure if I'd call Lucifer a "Peter Pan". If they called Castle that, I'd say, sure. But Lucifer, no. If anything, he'd be the R-rated Peter Pan version. ;-)

If Lucifer embracing his darker side means we get to see S1 Lucifer, I'm all for it! He was fun!

And Castle himself started off as relatively R-rated. At the beginning, he was a witty, urbane, superstar writer with a string of gorgeous conquests and a whole host of interesting, useful friends that he'd made while researching books. He pushed Beckett's buttons to see what happened, not because he was a manchild who couldn't control himself. From about season 3 onwards, he seemed like a stay-at-home nerd who just played video games, watched movies and spent his money on superficial toys. They took almost everything that was interesting or exciting about him away, and left a very broadly drawn stereotype that was... well... that seemed to be based on Nathan Fillion himself.

Doing that to Lucifer would be the death of this show. That's one of the reasons I think him and Chloe together is a mistake. It would require too big an adjustment of the Lucifer character to work. What, we're going to see him going round for dinner and movie night with Chloe and Trixie? As a one off, just to get Lucifer's dissatisfaction with something as mundane as that, it would be fun. As part of an actual relationship where suddenly has to enjoy that sort of stuff? I think it would be very disappointing.

Give him an actual love interest? Sure. But I think it would be better if they used a new character who was more carefree and reckless, and then used Chloe and Dan as straight men to bounce off.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Give him an actual love interest? Sure. But I think it would be better if they used a new character who was more carefree and reckless, and then used Chloe and Dan as straight men to bounce off.

This works for me. Give Lucy a love interest, sure, it would be interesting to see the devil in love, but to do this with Chloe requires one or both characters to no longer be the characters we know. Chloe plays better as the exasperated straight man to crazy Lucy. Lucy plays better as a hedonistic playboy. I don't want to see a domesticated satan and I don't want Chloe to suddenly become some wild woman just to fit Lucy's lifestyle. They are both fine the way they are and as friends of a sort. 

The more this show leans towards becoming Supernatural Castle the more I am likely to walk away like I did Castle. Once they start pushing the leads together I start to lose interest. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

That is why I thought Candy was a pretty good fit. I really enjoyed them together and wouldn't have minded if we had seen more of her/if she had stuck around playing Lucifer's wife for more than one episode.

• Love 6

Lucifer opened the season with 1.1 and 3,88 million viewers, up from its season 3 finale (0.9 and 3,3 million) and up from Gotham's season 3 finale in the 8PM slot (0.9 and 3 million). Not bad.

ETA: And maintained in the final ratings. Yay.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

Hitting series low with 0.8 and 3.26 million viewers. Sigh.

It's now up against The Voice, Dancing with the Stars and Big Bang Theory.  Double Sigh.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

The demo rating went up again to a 1.0 (3.45mil total) Yay!

Two weeks without Lt. Jackass in a row* and the ratings are back to 1.0.

Just sayin'.

*and more & better writing for female characters but it doesn't rhyme.

• Love 2

I don't know if this is too spoilery for the media thread so I'm tagging it. 

http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/02/lucifer-tom-welling-interview-season-3/

Spoiler

Tom Welling makes a quick joke about being Sinnerman which makes me think he's not. It's about 40 seconds into the video clip. Maybe he's throwing people off the scent but I highly doubt the show would let him make a joke like that if it was true. Then again, everyone in the world figured out the big secret on Blacklist immediately and the show kept denying it. 

• Love 1