Type keyword(s) to search

Give The Devil His Due: Lucifer In The Media

22 minutes ago, katmax said:

Chloe was a central character and her being in the dark was killing the storylines. It also severely limited the supernatural aspects to the stories.

Personally, I think Chloe being such a central character was part of the problem. That, and sticking strictly to the murder of the week formula always was going to be a problem for supernatural storylines. They managed it in season 2 with the mom arc, but you can't do that kind of thing every season.

45 minutes ago, Ria said:

Instead of listening and trying to improve the 2nd half of the season, they stubbornly stuck to their love triangles, buffoon Lucifer, petty Maze and dull Chloe.

The problem is that they did partially listen to the fans. They listened to the very vocal Deckerstar contingent of the fandom. But that only made matters worse. The Cain/Lucifer/Chloe love triangle was a bad idea from the start, but knowing from various interviews and social media posts by the showrunners that it would eventually lead to Deckerstar meant that there was absolutely no chance for any real tension there.

And those reassurances to the Deckerstar fans also meant that anybody wo didn't ship them knew that there was no hope for any other outcome. So why go on watching the show? Especially when they went and also abandoned, damaged or destroyed all the other relationships between characters.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Damselfly said:

And those reassurances to the Deckerstar fans also meant that anybody wo didn't ship them knew that there was no hope for any other outcome. So why go on watching the show? Especially when they went and also abandoned, damaged or destroyed all the other relationships between characters.

I was never into "shipping" the characters.  This always crawls out of the fan fic crowd in almost every TV series.  Have a look over at Arrow where the writers caved to the same demographic. It hasn't helped them.  This whole season has been obviously designed to lead up to these last two episodes, but its trashed all the likeable aspects of the characters in doing so. Henderson should have known better. The only things the execs care about is ratings. They don't give a toss about actual story lines or if you end on a cliff hanger. Plenty of fantasy type shows have been killed on cliff hangers and frankly its lazy and I hate it. I have more respect for people who will write a season so that the main story is all wrapped up and the overall season is a satisfying viewing experience so if they don't come back you are at least left happy you watched it.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I'm not going to be all that frustrated.  I watched the end of the last episode and plan to watch the next one.  Beyond that, I pretty much stuck with Legends of Tomorrow and never looked back and was the happier for it.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, johntfs said:

I'm not going to be all that frustrated.  I watched the end of the last episode and plan to watch the next one.  Beyond that, I pretty much stuck with Legends of Tomorrow and never looked back and was the happier for it.

I had a hard time with Legends of tomorrow. Could barely get to the end of season 1 it was so bad.  I've finally started on season 2 as I'd heard it had improved. Its much better than season 1 so far. Its gone in the opposite direction to Lucifer.  One of the things I loved about Lucifer was the contrast of light and dark with the witty dialogue breaking up slightly darker story lines, especially in S1. There's not a lot of shows that can manage that. However, what I've been hearing, if true, is they had no real goal on what they wanted to do with the characters in Lucifer, and the forced romance was certainly one of the things killing it in season 3. I'd say any chance of getting a season 4 anywhere are slim to none given the ratings.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Oh Joe, poor sweet Joe, you should know by now that the "Let's create a huge cliffhanger so they'll renew us" ploy "NEVER" works.

From Terminator: SCC to Sliders to even ALF. lots of shows ended on a cliffhanger "expecting" the network to renew them.

Oh, wait, never mind ---- ALF actually got a TV movie to resolve its cliffhanger ---- REALLY??? 

Out of all the TV shows that deserved a TV movie to resolve its cliffhanger, you give one to ALF????

• Love 2

I would have been fine with this weeks episode being the ending. I thought shows generally wrapped things up - sort of - if they didn't know if they were getting renewed. Maybe the show runners were trying to be optimistic. Lucifer was always at the top of the "save our show" list. Even though I thought this season was pretty bad, I thought it would get a last minute renewal. 

I found the TV show Cybil on Amazon Prime. The first three seasons were great. The forth was terrible. It also ended on a cliffhanger, but did not get a season five. By that time, I didn't care anyway. 

(edited)

I wish the CW would pick up Lucifer, as they did Supergirl.  I don't want it to somehow become part of the Arrowverse, but it is based on a comic from the DC family.  They'd have to guarantee that they'd feature more of the supernatural though.  More seasons like S1 and S2 and none like this one!

Edited by ProudMary
Grammar
  • Love 9

There could have been a season of interesting cases as a result of hell being without the devil spilling on to Earth. Remember waaay back when they had Amenadiel act like Hell needed a ruler or there would be consequences? If only the show run as well as hell on its own. 

I am disappointed Dan will never have to process he slept with God's wife. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Helena Dax said:

I think the Deckerstar was planned since the beginning. 

Perhaps. But they should have realized they have no chemistry, Lucifer was being ruined by the story and Chloe dragged down every scene and changed course. 

• Love 10
(edited)

lots and lots of interesting things they could have done. Instead they found the most cliche and cheapest things (no supernatural needed) plots. They made a drastic mistake in taking away his devil face. The wings were a nice addition but they never used them despite the positive reaction from the fans the few times they showed up.

Edited by katmax
spelling
  • Love 3
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Ria said:

Perhaps. But they should have realized they have no chemistry, Lucifer was being ruined by the story and Chloe dragged down every scene and changed course. 

Lucifer/Chloe was the central relationship of the show, it has been so since the pilot. Again, S2 was very shippy and it did well in the ratings, so it isn't what caused them to fall. They took a big nosedive by mid-S3, so logic would say that's where the cause should be looked into.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 5
(edited)

The length of this season was twice as long as season 1 so we really got 2 years worth in one season. They really should have treated it like two seasons and had a major plot point and character development at half way better than the whole "sinnerman" which was over in a flash with possibly something different for the second half. Chole finding out who Lucifer was in the wake of the Sinnerman debacle would have given it some value.  The loosing Caine mark could have been done with someone else other than Chloe (maybe Ella?) and they could have even wrapped that story line half way through the season if they wanted to instead of dragging it out.

Edited by katmax
spelling
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

So, TVLine has it's "which show's cancellation hurts the most?" poll.

http://tvline.com/2018/05/11/list-of-cancelled-tv-shows-2018-lucifer/

The Mick for me. Funniest show on tv.

If they had axed Lucifer last year I'd be more upset, but like many, I have lost a lot of interest this year. Season 2 was so good. The show has never been that interesting in the 'murder of the week' stuff, but even the overall story got really bad this season. I would have still watched season 4, but I wont be losing sleep over its cancellation. 

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 1

This has been a brutal cancellation season. B99, The Mick, and now Lucifer? This freaking sucks. 

I mean, I kind of saw the writing on the wall with this show, and it seemed like things were starting to wrap up in a satisfying way (except not apparently. Thanks Joe!), but I am still sad the show wont have the chance to get back on track. 

• Love 3

This year and last were both bad for fans of any genre series. There's been a huge shift away from SF/Fantasy/supernatural in favour of military/spy crap that's served to only free up more of my time and DVR space. Last year it was Grimm (the biggest loss of all to me), and original recipe Once Upon a Time, now this year, the Expanse, Lucifer, the dregs of "Once," and almost certainly Gotham. I know I'm forgetting a couple more as well. Audiences had a good choice of genre material for a while but the tide is absolutely shifting away, Arrowverse excepted, and most of that is unwatchable drek half the time. Thank the ghods that Outlander just got a two season renewal and various Game of Thrones prequels are coming to HBO once the ASOIaF series ends next year.

• Love 1

This is unexpected. Brooklyn 99 managed to find a new home on NBC

#savelucifer seems to be going gangbusters on twitter.  Its hard to tell if it will persuade another network to look at the show for a last season if nothing else.  From what I've seen if you move to another network you should really only count on one season more, but I'm not going to hold out my hopes for this to happen with Lucifer.

15 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

There could have been a season of interesting cases as a result of hell being without the devil spilling on to Earth. Remember waaay back when they had Amenadiel act like Hell needed a ruler or there would be consequences? If only the show run as well as hell on its own. 

I am disappointed Dan will never have to process he slept with God's wife. 

Dealing with the aftermath of a Hell jailbreak was the plot of Brimstone. I'm still pissed at Fox for cancelling that.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Delphi said:

I blame welling... because I need someone to blame and i hate his character. 

I didn't watch because of Welling. I was looking forward to the show getting back to normal next year. I feel like Lucifer railing at Dad in the first season. This was a BIG mistake by Fox. Huge!

• Love 2

It always bothered me that Luci and Chloe were always the end game. I enjoyed Chloe in the first season b/c she was immune to Luci's charms. I would have preferred that with 7 billion people on the planet, there was at least one person who didn't want to sleep with him just because and not due to any celestial interference. So, watching the "love" triangle with Cain added in was more than a little painful. I also didn't enjoy Amenadude, Linda, and Maze being shunted aside. This ended up being a lost season for Maze and I was hoping that next year she would be back to fun-loving, demony-punishing self. And then what they did to Ella. Sheesh. They took a fun, quirky, but more than competent character and turned her into a fan girl in numerous episodes, especially in her adoration for Cain and the Cain-Chloe romance. Here's a hint writers: If you have to have one character repeatedly say how great a couple's relationship is (especially if that character is NOT part of the couple), you're failing in showing why it's so great.

All that being said, I wish the show had been renewed. They might have been able to right the ship. The stupidity of thinking that writing a major cliffhanger would somehow force a network, any network, to renew the show is beyond words. Buffy and Leverage both wrote season finales as series finales just in case. 

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

The stupidity of thinking that writing a major cliffhanger would somehow force a network, any network, to renew the show is beyond words.

Either they didn't care enough to give fans a conclusion, they were too stupid to actually have a conclusion to give, or they were really so delusional they thought they could force the network to renew. Mostly likely, they knew they had little chance and did this in the hopes of rallying the few people who still care to try to get this show picked up by someone else. 

Thing is, if someone else does pick it up, I don't think it will be to explore the celestial side of the show. I think the budget would be cut, which would probably mean the end of Linda and Dan, who are least integral to the main storyline, which has unfortunately become Lucy loves Chloe.

I wish someone like Netflix had picked it up in the first place and hired a writing staff that could focus on the celestial aspect of the story rather than a run of the mill romance crime procedural. 

• Love 6

Beyond Pissed. 

This season wasn't great but I wanted one more to fix things. Even if they only have 13 episodes and aired it mid-season. But this is Fox. I still haven't forgiven them for cancelling "Tru Calling" and "Fastlane." Bastards.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Delphi said:

I blame welling... because I need someone to blame and i hate his character. 

I won't blame the actor, he had no clout in the production/writing, but his character was indeed the symptom as well as the embodiment of what was wrong with S3 imo, terrible horrible no good writing. Which includes characters dumbed down beyond recognition as well as destruction of friendships and partnerships for the most cliché and artificial drama imaginable.

• Love 9

Fox killed a lot of decent shows, but the last 5 episodes of Lucifer were weak. It was like the writers let the interns try stuff, and little of it worked. 

If I was an exec I would have looked at the rating decline year to year, and then looked at the end of this season and assumed the series had run its course and out of gas.

• Love 7
On 5/11/2018 at 5:18 PM, katmax said:

I had a hard time with Legends of tomorrow. Could barely get to the end of season 1 it was so bad.  I've finally started on season 2 as I'd heard it had improved. Its much better than season 1 so far. Its gone in the opposite direction to Lucifer.  One of the things I loved about Lucifer was the contrast of light and dark with the witty dialogue breaking up slightly darker story lines, especially in S1. There's not a lot of shows that can manage that. However, what I've been hearing, if true, is they had no real goal on what they wanted to do with the characters in Lucifer, and the forced romance was certainly one of the things killing it in season 3. I'd say any chance of getting a season 4 anywhere are slim to none given the ratings.

Season Two of LoT is much, much better than Season One, but Season Three (after the first couple of not as super great episodes) is just batshit glorious insane fun.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

Which includes characters dumbed down beyond recognition as well as destruction of friendships and partnerships for the most cliché and artificial drama imaginable.

Those are the really big underlying problems with this season. Yes, they had a too big cast of regular characters. Yes, there were scheduling problems, including the fact that they had to incorporate the four leftover episodes that were filmed last season. But none of that would have mattered if they hadn't completely messed it up in the writing department.

One of the things that made the show so great was that Lucifer had interesting relationships with all the other regular characters, and that in season 2 they expanded that to the other regular characters having interesting relationships with each other. But this season, these other relationships were either destroyed or they all but vanished.

I'd try to claim that they switched from character/relationship driven to plot driven writing, but the problem is that the plots were so bad, too. It feels like, at the beginning of the season, they created a list of things - situations, scenes - that had to happen, and then just worked their way down that list with no care about whether or not it actually made sense or was in character.

• Love 9

The B99 case is going to give people false hope I think. There are a lot of factors, especially NBCUniversal producing the show all along where it's actually an appealing business decision by NBC where as I don't see how Lucifer a show without syndication and ratings that really fell in its 3rd season can be that appealing despite online outrage. I mean as I'm typing this I've been reading  about  the BTS dumpster fire that is Leathal Weapon and it could change at any minute to them announcing Crawfords firing and cancel the show anyway like ABC and Stana Katic/Castle but so far it seems like the studio (WB too?) And Fox see the steady numbers and profit worth the trouble of a change. After moving production and falling ratings of just don't see it unless a "Saved" Lucifer is really cut to the bone money wise half the cast goes and we'll even get less Celestial stuff because that would mean an effects budget.

Another thing I'll  miss about  the show the Lucifer cast are the few celebs I follow on Instagram and it's cool that even my cynical self likes all their posts with each other and I do believe they really do enjoy each other. Probably why  when they mix up the characters the different combinations click.

• Love 3
On 5/11/2018 at 7:27 PM, Happy Harpy said:

Lucifer/Chloe was the central relationship of the show, it has been so since the pilot. Again, S2 was very shippy and it did well in the ratings, so it isn't what caused them to fall. They took a big nosedive by mid-S3, so logic would say that's where the cause should be looked into.

Lucifer was not in love with Chloe in season 1, he was fascinated by why she was immune to his powers and why he had no powers near her. Chloe was still suspicious of Lucifer and while boring, was not acting like a giddy, flighty 12 year old as she did this season. Lucifer/Chloe was always the show’s weak spot but was tolerable as strictly friends and partners and in prior seasons the other plots and characters and superior writing compensated for the weakness of the Chloe character. 

It’s just too bad. The first season was the best written show I’d watched in a long time. The 2nd season wasn’t quite as good but still enjoyable and had some very good episodes. The writing completely collapsed this season. I can’t think of another show that had such a sudden drop off in quality from the end of one season to the beginning of the other. If next season was like this season I wouldn’t be watching anyway, but I was still hoping for the best. 

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Ria said:

Lucifer was not in love with Chloe in season 1, he was fascinated by why she was immune to his powers and why he had no powers near her. Chloe was still suspicious of Lucifer and while boring, was not acting like a giddy, flighty 12 year old as she did this season.

Spot on.  They took the shippy elements of S2 and ramped it up too high in S3 till it became cringy and hard to watch.  Great for those who "ship" characters and want to watch a romance, but for everyone else who watched it for the drama or the supernatural elements or anything else really it overtook the show.  They stretched out a story that would have done well concentrated in a half season into a full season with lots of fillers that only served to make Lucifer look silly and drain his darkness and intelligence.  Simple things like Chloe following up the Sinnerman background in the aftermath of Pierce shooting him were never followed through.  That could have lead them to Pierce as the mastermind much sooner. The whole love declaration in S3E23 could really have been done any time an didn't need the whole love triangle to preceded it.

If the fans do manage to convince someone to make a S4 then I really hope they dial back the romance and do a short more balanced season that won't make the fans regret all the tweeting and facebook work I can see them doing at the moment. Too much romance is not good for the Lord of Hell. Despite this seasons problems I would like a S4 if only to see if they can correct the issues in S3. Shows have been known to come back from a weak season its just a pity the makers of Lucifer simply seemed to assume they could expect one on the back of declining ratings.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

The B99 case is going to give people false hope I think. There are a lot of factors, especially NBCUniversal producing the show all along where it's actually an appealing business decision by NBC where as I don't see how Lucifer a show without syndication and ratings that really fell in its 3rd season can be that appealing despite online outrage. I mean as I'm typing this I've been reading  about  the BTS dumpster fire that is Leathal Weapon

I think B99 has given people false hope, but I read B99 as being in a very different position to Lucifer which is going to have a hard time finding a new home. I know other shows like unforgettable were able to find another network for their last season but had drastic cast changes and cut budgets and Lucifer might well find itself in the same situation. Fans want the same cast and Lucifer barely has the budget for any cgi at the moment by the look of it - and I wonder if this is the true reason behind no devil face and barely any wings this year?

It can't hurt to throw a few tweets at the renewal campaign but its a long shot and if it does come back anywhere aside from the CW I hope the producers have the sense to treat it like a final season.

the showrunners and writers somehow forgot what the show was about. Luci was a demigod and turned into a mere bufoon. The ME was a moron and Maze was vanishing into a one dimensional cartoon. The wedding shower episode was horrible.

• Love 11
(edited)
38 minutes ago, katmax said:

Spot on.  They took the shippy elements of S2 and ramped it up too high in S3 till it became cringy and hard to watch.  Great for those who "ship" characters and want to watch a romance, but for everyone else who watched it for the drama or the supernatural elements or anything else really it overtook the show. 

I normally ship leads quickly but right from the start, I didn't want the couple to happen though I did think it was going to happen at some point because of how the pilot was set up. But I never felt this couple. Whatever it is that makes me want leads to get together, I didn't see it there. To the contrary. There was something there that made me oppose the couple.

Anyway, I wish they would have built on what they started with Chloe finding out slowly about Lucifer through her own investigation. She had the video which showed Lucifer's strength when he threw that guy through the glass window in one of the early episodes, and she had his blood. They should have let her test it and go from there. That way, Chloe would have been involved in the celestial aspect of the show in her own way and wouldn't have been the odd one out who they desperately need to keep in the inner circle even though she had no purpose being there.

I understand where they wanted to go with the whole "you have to have doubts to believe" thing but they closed the case afterwards and never mentioned it again and that hurt the story. Even if for that moment Chloe would have been okay with it, curiosity should have taken over again at one point. You don't witness what she witnessed and were close to having blood tested and then just give up on it and never have any second thoughts about it again.

It's such a pity that a show with such great potential had such weak creative minds behind it.

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

The B99 case is going to give people false hope I think. There are a lot of factors, especially NBCUniversal producing the show all along where it's actually an appealing business decision by NBC where as I don't see how Lucifer a show without syndication and ratings that really fell in its 3rd season can be that appealing despite online outrage. I mean as I'm typing this I've been reading  about  the BTS dumpster fire that is Leathal Weapon and it could change at any minute to them announcing Crawfords firing and cancel the show anyway like ABC and Stana Katic/Castle but so far it seems like the studio (WB too?) And Fox see the steady numbers and profit worth the trouble of a change. After moving production and falling ratings of just don't see it unless a "Saved" Lucifer is really cut to the bone money wise half the cast goes and we'll even get less Celestial stuff because that would mean an effects budget.

I agree, I think the best we can hope for is a situation like Constantine.   After NBC cancelled that show, the CW (owned by Warner who also owns DC comics) picked up the rights to the character and now he's on Legends of Tomorrow.  Since Lucifer is a DC character too and depending on how the rights shake out, there could be a chance we could see Tom Ellis turn up in the Arrowverse. And really, who doesn't want to see him interact with Constantine or the other Legends.

• Love 1

S1 and S2 Lucifer dealt with the consequences of Lucifer's decision to leave Hell. Then S3 was some weird thing where God (Dad) had some sort of plan that was always going to be too complicated or too much of a long game to do on the show. Seriously, what's the end goal of Lucifer and Chloe? They're going to get married and rule Hell together?

They probably should have set up Cain to end up having to be in charge of Hell for his misdeed. It's pretty obvious the job of Devil sucks. Amenadiel sure didn't want to do it. I could care less if Maze left, but we're supposed to believe that she likes being on Earth.

Lucifer has changed, and not in a good way. Of course, he's largely given up on sleeping with women (and totally gave up on men) because of Chloe. He's still clueless and self-absorbed, but in a way that Flanderizes him rather than keeping him Lucifer.

Actually, CW would be the logical destination for Lucifer, but they would have to cut the budget even more, and it's pretty apparent how much they cut the budget this season.

• Love 1

Given that the stories this year were love triangles and will they/won't they relationship BS it might as well be on the CW.

The show especially its first season with the snappy writing could have been amazing on cable. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CheshireCat said:

Anyway, I wish they would have built on what they started with Chloe finding out slowly about Lucifer through her own investigation. She had the video which showed Lucifer's strength when he threw that guy through the glass window in one of the early episodes, and she had his blood. They should have let her test it and go from there. That way, Chloe would have been involved in the celestial aspect of the show in her own way and wouldn't have been the odd one out who they desperately need to keep in the inner circle even though she had no purpose being there.

I understand where they wanted to go with the whole "you have to have doubts to believe" thing but they closed the case afterwards and never mentioned it again and that hurt the story. Even if for that moment Chloe would have been okay with it, curiosity should have taken over again at one point. You don't witness what she witnessed and were close to having blood tested and then just give up on it and never have any second thoughts about it again.

I wish the writers would have come up with a story line for Chloe having Lucifer's blood tested.  That, in and of itself, would have been so interesting.  He'd never bled before!

I guess I have a different opinion than most here in that while I like S1 very much, I think S2 was where the series truly excelled.  I really enjoyed the "Mom" plot and thought that "A Good Day to Die" was the best hour of series television I saw that whole season.  S3 was such a disappointment.  The stand alone episodes were better than the actual season which definitely indicated a big problem.

Even so, I was hoping for a S4 as the writers seemed to be getting somewhat back on track.  I will definitely miss this show and I hope to see many of the actors in other productions, especially Tom Ellis and Lesley-Ann Brandt, neither of whom I was familiar with prior to Lucifer.

I do think I'll be avoiding Fox shows in the future.  I'm still mad about their cancellation of Pitch, with our last image of Ginny being her going into an MRI tube.  Now this?  I don't think I'll give them the opportunity to fool me again.

• Love 5

Fox just renewed Gotham for one final season, which kind of ticks me off because most of the predictions had Gotham listed as likely to be cancelled while showing Lucifer as likely to be renewed.  Grrr.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

the showrunners and writers somehow forgot what the show was about. Luci was a demigod and turned into a mere bufoon. The ME was a moron and Maze was vanishing into a one dimensional cartoon. The wedding shower episode was horrible.

The dumbing down of Lucifer, mostly eliminating the supernatural elements and ruining Maze's character were just unforgivable. Was there some sort of massive turnover between seasons? This reminds me of the huge downshift in quality during Season 2 of Sleepy Hollow that it never recovered from. I haven't seen any interviews showing the writers even realize how badly they went wrong, so it's hard to get all enthused about any efforts to save it when I don't feel things will get any better.

• Love 11

Honestly I'm not upset that this show got cancelled. For the first 2 seasons it was one of my favorite shows, this season it became unrecognizable and destroyed most of the characters that I liked. I'm happy Gotham got the renewal, that show has had a great 4th season and I want it to be able to finish telling it's story. I barely remembered Lucifer was on. 

• Love 5