Type keyword(s) to search

Give The Devil His Due: Lucifer In The Media

Much as I guessed the big delay with getting Lucifer a new home was because of the complicated issue of streaming rights which were all over the place around the world.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/lucifer-saved-netflix-picks-up-series-season-4-after-fox-cancelation-1202411666/

I saw some demographics from twitter the fandom is literately world-wide even though only USA neilson was keeping it on the air at fox.  There are a lot of fans in South America, Europe (especially Germany and the UK), Australia and New Zealand.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:41 AM, Mabinogia said:

Be interesting to see if they change it up at all. I would love if they brought back the old Lucifer.

I highly suspect this is what we are going to see. The show runners were in a bad place trying to adhere to all the restrictions fox put on them. They wanted a darker Lucifer and more supernatural and mythology and were told NO. It will have a short season - 10 episodes - but I think they will be better crafted with little to no filler and better quality CGI and longer running. Network length is normally 41 or 42 minutes for adverts and streaming runs closer to an hour in the 50minute mark. It should make a real difference.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sile said:

Dammit.... I have Amazon Prime, but not Netflix.

Meanwhile, you may direct all thanks for the pickup my way.  My DVR hadn't picked up some of the episodes this season, so my continuity was all messed up in a season without a lot of stand alones.  So, I had a bunch of unwatched eps while I was waiting for repeats to fill in my gaps.  When it got cancelled I went ahead and deleted all of them because, what was the point?  Argggh, I now have some work to do, apparently.  And I hate watching stuff On Demand without the ability to ff through adverts or to not being able to catch back up when I go back to see something I thought I missed.

I recommend downloading a free trial of Hulu, all episodes are currently streaming but who knows for how long.   If you already used your free trial, gmail let's you make new accounts for literally nothing. 

• Love 1

And I just cancelled Netflix and switched to Hulu. Oh well, I’ll sign back up when the new season starts and give it a try. But if it sucks, I cancel again. I stuck it out all the way through this season but no way am I paying to watch crap. 

I was hopeful this show would have a chance to course correct, and I’m thrilled to hear about this! For such a bloody cancellation season, it’s been quite good got pick ups! Hope springs eternal! 

• Love 4

Well, I suppose the prospect of a resurgence of this show with the darker, more adult themes the creators originally wanted will get me to sign back up for Netflix (along with access to Jessica Jones and Sense8). But if the first couple of episodes remind me of most of Season 3 rather than being either a return to early form or an interesting new direction, I'm dropping it like a hot potato covered in poo.

On 6/6/2018 at 1:36 AM, Pindrop said:

Maybe they were subverting the "subverting tropes" trope. 

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend already beat them to it, turning a 180° from the subversive takes on issues that made it great in its first couple of seasons.

On 6/15/2018 at 4:17 PM, Happy Harpy said:

Maybe they can change the procedural network format to a big case or two over the season. It would allow more in deep writing (mind, off the gutter!).

But didn't they do that this last season with the whole interminable Sinnerman arc? It was not an improvement IMHO...

51 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:17 PM, Happy Harpy said:

Maybe they can change the procedural network format to a big case or two over the season. It would allow more in deep writing (mind, off the gutter!).

But didn't they do that this last season with the whole interminable Sinnerman arc? It was not an improvement IMHO...

Yeah, I think they need the balance. The supernatural stuff is great, but if they drop the procedural we end up with Sinnerman and Lucy loves Chloe. Neither of which worked for me. I like the idea of the Devil working with the cops to punish sinners because punishing is what he does. I would like that to be explored. I don't much care about his daddy issues or bringing on a bunch of other supernatural beings. That just takes away from Lucy/Maze/Amen exploring the mortal world.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

It depends of course of the quality of said plot ;)

The Sinnerman was actually not that bad in the beginning, until it became about Fail Factor Pierce, imo, and I liked the arcs in S1 and S2 (corruption and Mom). I do love the cases of the week, though, because that's where I get most of hilarious Luci and his interactions with humans.

If the writers can -or care to- strike a balance again, and with only 10 episodes, it could work out well.

• Love 3

I don't think that the Sinnerman arc and lack of procedural was the problem. I think the lack of character development (and the interruption from the leftover episodes) was. I recall very little of the Sinnerman episodes other than that it was more of "Lucifer blames Dad" but it really didn't go anywhere. Until the last two episodes, when Amenadiel and Lucifer realized that they were responsible for losing/regaining their wings/Devil Face etc. It seems that most of the season was spent on Charlotte redeeming herself. While I liked her character and loved that episode with Lucifer early on, it's not Charlotte who I watched for. She went somewhere over the course of the episodes. Lucifer went somewhere in the last two. So, he went nowhere for most of the season and I think that was the problem. There was no point to these episodes other than an entertaining procedural. It might have worked if the show had started out as one but it didn't.

• Love 3
On 6/15/2018 at 2:14 PM, Delphi said:

Dear white people is so good too.  I use it for woke lessons for stupid friends.

YASSS!

On 6/16/2018 at 1:54 PM, Sile said:

Dammit.... I have Amazon Prime, but not Netflix.

Good news -- you'll be able to watch The Expanse!

From TVLine Matt Webb Mitovich :

When will Lucifer’s Netflix episodes air? And will they all drop at once?Michael
I have confirmed that — as is almost always the case with Netflix — all of LuciferSeason 4 will be released at once, so plan on a devilish binge. As for the when… well, because of that all-at-once-ness, every episode has to first be filmed, edited, scored and such. I’m hearing that filming on Season 4 will wrap no sooner than early December, so we’re looking at, most optimistically, an “early 2019” release date (by my crude math). To bide your time until then, a scoop: Co-showrunner Joe Henderson says that Season 4 will introduce a character from Lucifer’s past who will “bring a whole new dimension to everything.” (And no, he wasn’t referring to Azrael.)

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Lucifer, Wynonna Earp, Black Lightning, NCIS: New Orleans, Riverdale and More

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

To bide your time until then, a scoop: Co-showrunner Joe Henderson says that Season 4 will introduce a character from Lucifer’s past who will “bring a whole new dimension to everything.” (And no, he wasn’t referring to Azrael.)

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Lucifer, Wynonna Earp, Black Lightning, NCIS: New Orleans, Riverdale and More

After Pierce, the mention of a "new character" of importance inspires me one thought: Vade Retro.

• Love 1

So, what happened to the file cabinet with the Sinnermann files? I sort of wish that that arc wasn't over, that there was someone controlling Cain and who is going to  get it right next time.  

Worst thought: they will save it to go against Game of Thrones. 

Sort of an anti-climatic title.  No Explosive, WTF????  You mean you've been telling the truth all this time??  What happened to Amenidude's constant refrain that Mortals can't handle it.  I guess that command has been shot to shit, what with Linda being in the know.  Dear God, don't let anything happen to Linda. Or Trixie, Or Ella, Or even Det. Douche, who has grown on me.  Thanks @ProudMary.

• Love 2

Here's some stuff from Radio Times:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2019-01-22/lucifer-s4-netflix/

Apparently Inbar Lavi from Imposters is going to be Eve.

ETA: but D. B. Woodside isn't mentioned here and his Lucifer credits stop at 2018 in the IMDB (Ellis and German both have 2019 Lucifer episodes listed). The IMDB has been wrong about cast lists on more than one occasion; I hope this is one of those times.

Edited by NeenerNeener
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:47 PM, NeenerNeener said:

ETA: but D. B. Woodside isn't mentioned here and his Lucifer credits stop at 2018 in the IMDB (Ellis and German both have 2019 Lucifer episodes listed). The IMDB has been wrong about cast lists on more than one occasion, I hope this is one of those times.

Re D.B.:

Spoiler

Items from the spoiler thread as well as his Twitter account all indicate he's part of Season 4, though I imagine it's possible his role has been changed from regular to recurring. (To be clear, I haven't heard anything either way on that front, but if he were in only some of the episodes, it might explain him not being included in a regular-cast list.).

• Love 1

Are things on social media considered spoilers?  I follow a lot of the cast on Instagram and

Spoiler

DB/Amen is definitely involved though how much, who knows. He and Dan greatly got screwed last season, imo, the reduced episode number could have them bumped more.

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I would be great to see them go dark and more mature, but they might lose a lot of fans that way.

I think they will gain fans, but not if they take it too far.  I hope Lucifer has some of his darkness back.  Imo, they humanized him too much with the daddy issues and everything.  Bring the darkness back, this is the Devil for crying out loud.

• Love 2
Just now, Wicked said:

I think they will gain fans, but not if they take it too far.  I hope Lucifer has some of his darkness back.  Imo, they humanized him too much with the daddy issues and everything.  Bring the darkness back, this is the Devil for crying out loud.

A TV show on a major network showing at 8 pm. can have a lot of younger and tamer viewership than other prime time shows. The fact that this show somewhat delves into an anti-religion, might trigger the religious to speak out especially if taken to extremes. (If what I wrote makes any sense.)

I for one would appreciate a darker tone and for the women to act much sexier.

Cool. Thanks Delphi. For those wondering, according to the article, "the complete fourth season of Lucifer will be available May 8 on Netflix." Oh, and the other amusing thing is that they issued the announcement 666 hours prior to the premiere date. Nice going Netflix.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
On 4/7/2019 at 12:59 PM, Wicked said:

I agree the writers humanized Lucifer way too much! Also him being all tru luv over Chole so didn't work (at least for me).  No offence to Chole, but she's not anything the Devil should be losing his darkness for.

I hope the show gets back on track and doesn't continue where it was last season.  

• Love 1