Type keyword(s) to search

Give The Devil His Due: Lucifer In The Media

I'm ready for a break from Malcolm, music producer I want to see again preferably when Chloe really finally gets Lucifer is who he says he is, biker guy I didn't care enough the first time to care about whether not he comes back (love the actor, though.) Chloe's mom? Sure. I really want a group therapy session of sorts next season, let Dr. Linda see the whole family. Or y'know what, cast Annabella Sciorra as "Mum" and let them battle... 

Not sure what to make of the 13 episodes "with maybe more". Isn't that usually what networks do with new shows? Especially if we have to wait for January for it to return then at what point does the network decide to add more episodes? If it's after the original 13 are filmed then how/where do they fit in?

2 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

Not sure what to make of the 13 episodes "with maybe more". Isn't that usually what networks do with new shows? Especially if we have to wait for January for it to return then at what point does the network decide to add more episodes? If it's after the original 13 are filmed then how/where do they fit in?

I took it to mean if season 2 airs in January, it will be 13 episodes again. If it airs in the fall, then Fox may add additional episodes (maybe even a full back 9) depending on how the mid-season shows get scheduled.

Joe said that if season 1 was a full 22 episodes (13 episodes + back 9), the story arc would still be the same. The "Mum" story arc would just have ended up as episodes 14-22. Likewise, for season 2, they're writing a 13-episode season, and if additional episodes are ordered, the story arc for season 3 would just start as season 2, episode 14.

• Love 1

I like Joe's approach to show running.

He appears to have a good style of building arcs to a climax/resolution in a reasonable amount of episodes, then build off the resolution of the first arc for the next arc.  For myself, as a viewer, I appreciate this because it means I get a whole story in a reasonable amount of story telling, without too much 'filler' or 'we're gonna answer this buuuutt psyche no, we have 9 more episodes to fill!'

He keeps just enough loose threads in play to help tie up the entire span of the season without making it a feast or famine situation.

• Love 4

It comes out two days before my birthday. How delightful.  

I'm suddenly flooded with memories from about 15 years ago... a former friend of mine once chided me for watching The X-Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, because that person felt those programs were eeeevil and watching them meant "inviting the devil" into my apartment. That person would probably be horrified to see me bring home this DVD set. Clearly I've not learned a thing. *GRIN* 

(edited)
41 minutes ago, sinkwriter said:

I'm suddenly flooded with memories from about 15 years ago... a former friend of mine once chided me for watching The X-Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, because that person felt those programs were eeeevil and watching them meant "inviting the devil" into my apartment. That person would probably be horrified to see me bring home this DVD set. Clearly I've not learned a thing. *GRIN* 

In the words of Long Island's very own Billy Joel:

They say there's a heaven for those who will wait
Some say it's better but I say it ain't
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints
The sinners are much more fun

Edited by fastiller
quote ≠ spoiler
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

That's why I haven't told anyone in my family that I watch Lucifer. If they find out, they'll have a heart attack, a panic attack, and a mental breakdown all rolled into one. 

But I just love this show. It has all my favorite elements from my favorite shows rolled into one plus so much more. 

And very excited about the DVDs. Looking forward to seeing the extras!

• Love 2

I like how bad detective break his deal with Lucifer.  A nice twist ending but and ending we all know so well from the real life Lucifer!!!

On 2016-05-26 at 1:34 PM, fastiller said:

In the words of Long Island's very own Billy Joel:

The sinners are much more fun.

Love that.

And this quote, which is so true...

"I desire to go to Hell and not to Heaven. In the former I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks and apostles."

Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527) Italian philosopher, writer and politician

I just rewatched the finale again. Such a fun show. I rarely buy DVDs but I might consider it for this show.

• Love 1

I've always felt that über-religious people who panic about the Devil being behind everything seem to spend a lot more time obsessing about him than people actually interested in "forbidden" literature and entertainment. Kind of like how when Bible-thumping types go on endlessly about the evils of homosexuality you just know there are some skeletons in their closet wearing go-go dancer outfits.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

And now, we have a date for the Season 2 premiere!

I came here to post it from Facebook. I was ridiculously happy  to see this! I can't wait.

(edited)

I think she's great, but not for this role. I envisioned someone older than her, someone who would seem like they'd been around the block many, many times and had a timeless quality, someone who seemed like she could look right through Lucifer and already know what he was thinking. Someone who would believably scare the crap out of Lucifer. Someone who could look at Lucifer like he's a mere child.

Also, not that moms can't be sexy but Tricia's barely older than Tom.

I mean, we'll see what happens, but... I'm not feeling confident about this casting choice. Please don't have Lucifer making cracks about his mom's "hot" human body.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 4

I like TH, but I was hoping for someone different. Really didn't want a sexy MILF for the part, I was hoping for someone who could look like a kindly mom/grandma but be totally badass. And now that Penny Dreadful is over, I really wanted Patti Lupone or someone similar. Dammit.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, sinkwriter said:

I think she's great, but not for this role. I envisioned someone older than her, someone who would seem like they'd been around the block many, many times and had a timeless quality, someone who seemed like she could look right through Lucifer and already know what he was thinking. Someone who would believably scare the crap out of Lucifer. Someone who could look at Lucifer like he's a mere child.

Also, not that moms can't be sexy but Tricia's barely older than Tom.

I mean, we'll see what happens, but... I'm not feeling confident about this casting choice. Please don't have Lucifer making cracks about his mom's "hot" human body.

That was pretty much my feeling. I thought also thought they should cast someone who could actually be Tom's mother - not someone Lucifer could date. 

• Love 1

I just don't understand the thinking behind this casting. I mean, is it just that the show will be airing during football and they want to use sexy popular actresses to try to lure guys away from watching sports? I don't think that's a good enough reason to cast Tricia over someone older. It could compromise the impact of the role.

*sigh* Again, I say: we'll see, I guess. I'm just not excited about it now.

What an odd choice. TH is great and all, but she doesn't have the gravatis I was expecting. I was really, really hoping they weren't going to go with a hot chick Tom's age and that's exactly what they did. We shall see how it goes but I'm less excited now. I'm going to assume they will make it that, Charlotte (really?) got to choose the human body she got put into and she chose to be a hot soccer mom. Not sure why she would, but whatever. Maybe she is inhabiting a real human body of some chick named Charlotte.

• Love 1
On ‎18‎.‎06‎.‎2016 at 4:35 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

If they are actually shooting in L.A., they are gonna be on the titular character's home turf!  Scorching hot.

According to the tweet from the Writer's Room, they're shooting the second season in Vancouver, too.

(edited)

I'm afraid there will be inappropriate chem between Mum and one, or possibly both, of her boys and it will take me to another headspace that will squick me the fuck out and I really don't want that with this show. I'm also afraid FOX had a hand in this (I have no gossip whatsoever, I'm just very wary of them and their interference into their shows), maybe with the idea that she's sci-fi royalty and hot and would draw the fanboys. Who knows. For me, it is....disappointing.

They could have even given her the ability on Earth to embody different 'skins' but still emit some kind of pull to her that her sons could feel. Then they could switch up guest stars as Luci and AmenaDude came in contact with her. Have her try on different bodies and assess them poorly. If she hates humans, let her walk in different shoes and talk about their flaws and weaknesses with disdain. Just a thought.

Edited by Badsamaritan
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, sinkwriter said:

Shohreh Aghdashloo (from House of Sand & Fog) might have been an interesting choice.

Her rich, deep voice alone would probably put the fear into Lucifer... which would be marvelous. Ah, well.

I'd prefer her over this Tricia and I'm not a huge fan of hers but since they first mentioned "Mum" I've really wanted her to be neither white or black, so a Middle Eastern actress would do just fine in that respect, my second choice was if they were going to cast someone black or white to go with an old woman that terrifies Luci and Amenadiel. I -obviously- loved the humor of people reacting to them being brothers and so I see how a 'young attractive' mom can make people's heads turn comically, but... I don't know maybe it's because as it is on TV sometimes -especially soap operas- actors are cast to play parent/(adult)child and they're practically the same age without it being part of the story, that I'm finding this so underwhelming. Now that I'm really thinking about it, it would have been more creative if they made "Mum" younger, 20-ish.  I know I've seen Tricia Helfner in things but I don't have an opinion of her at all talent wise, when I saw her photo in the article I thought she looked familiar and now I've looked at her IMDB but I didn't even connect her name to being a part of BSG (which, admittedly, I've only seen here and there but I know a good amount of the names.). Hey, the writers managed so far to make "the devil runs away to LA, opens a bar, and follows a detective around" into something that I came to look forward to watching, so I'm going to do my best to be positive they'll give us a good season ahead.

• Love 1

Yeah, I luckily don't know the actress who's lucky enough to be "mum" to these two kids, and I'm glad I don't, because it's going to be a complete surprise to me when the show starts again. Young, old, black, white, pink or green, all would fit in a way, because appearance is just an envelope, right, or an illusion, here.

Whatever she ends up looking like (remember, I haven't checked and won't), I just hope she is credible and has good enough lines and chemistry to sell why her sons fear her so. I loved the first season and want to continue loving the second one :)

I have nothing against TH. I'm sure she will do well in the role. I'm just really disappointed that they went so predictable. Shohreh would have been sublime in the role because that voice, OMG her voice, it could compel me to do pretty much anything. She's got the gravatis to pull off an immortal god. If they had gone younger, which I think could have been a very interesting dynamic my choice would have been Kasey Rohl whom I have only just discovered but who really brought some presence to her roll in The Magicians. She has an almost otherworldly quality to her. Tricia H is a pretty blonde soccer mom. It's an odd choice. I will try to wait and see what they do with it. But I can't imagine it will be all that interesting really.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm afraid there will be inappropriate chem between Mum and one, or possibly both, of her boys

TBH it would totally fit the show. Yeah, squick, so what?

Tricia H is a pretty blonde soccer mom. It's an odd choice. 

I think she has certain... fragility around her that's really intriguing.

Also, I just finished Mass Effect series, and voice-wise, she does seem to have good comic timing (although her voice was heavily tampered with, she played an AI/robot).

Edited by FurryFury
On 22.6.2016 at 2:22 AM, Badsamaritan said:

I'm afraid there will be inappropriate chem between Mum and one, or possibly both, of her boys and it will take me to another headspace that will squick me the fuck out and I really don't want that with this show. I'm also afraid FOX had a hand in this (I have no gossip whatsoever, I'm just very wary of them and their interference into their shows), maybe with the idea that she's sci-fi royalty and hot and would draw the fanboys. Who knows. For me, it is....disappointing.

Considering how freaked out Lucifer was about her escaping and adding the fact that she had apparently been detained in hell for quite some time, I doubt there's any love lost between them. I hope Lucifer and Amenadude can't get over whatever it is she did/does and don't see a hot blonde, but danger instead.

21 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I have nothing against TH. I'm sure she will do well in the role. I'm just really disappointed that they went so predictable. Shohreh would have been sublime in the role because that voice, OMG her voice, it could compel me to do pretty much anything. She's got the gravatis to pull off an immortal god. If they had gone younger, which I think could have been a very interesting dynamic my choice would have been Kasey Rohl whom I have only just discovered but who really brought some presence to her roll in The Magicians. She has an almost otherworldly quality to her. Tricia H is a pretty blonde soccer mom. It's an odd choice. I will try to wait and see what they do with it. But I can't imagine it will be all that interesting really.

I didn't think there was anything soccer mom about her in BSG.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I liked her in what I've seen her in so far. We don't know in what direction the character is supposed to go, so I'm reserving judgement until I actually see her 'mom' going up against the brothers and hope for the best. Not just in regards to her as an actor, but also - or rather especially - in regards to how the character will be written.

• Love 1

Tricia Helfer showed a lot of range in BSG. She does do fragility and vulnerable well, but she can also be scary and intense to a surprising degree. I'm not sure where the show is going; I'd have preferred maybe another sort of "mum". However, I don't outright hate this decision.

• Love 1

I've liked Tricia in her previous works, and I am willing to wait and see what they'll do. I'm just saying, for now... her being cast in the role of "Mom" is not fitting with my own headspace about how scary and unusual they've made Mom sound. So it's creating big question marks for me. 

What they do may surprise me. I hope so. 

• Love 1

I'd be down with the forensic scientist if they use her to replace Chloe! haha (sorry, I just can't warm up to the actress.) I do worry that adding these newbies is going to take away from Dr. Linda. She is my favorite side character. Hopefully, though, having "Mom" around will mean Luci will have to go to his shrink to talk about his mommy issues. Oh, that could be fun.

• Love 3

Well, TH is not what I was expecting when I thought of Luci's mom (is she Amenadiel's mom, too?). But I'm willing to see where they go with this.

I'm not as thrilled about the forensic scientist, but I'm going to choose to be excited that the network is giving them the money to add to the cast. As long as we don't lose Luci, Amenadiel and Maze screen time.

6 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I'd be down with the forensic scientist if they use her to replace Chloe! haha (sorry, I just can't warm up to the actress.)

Me too... Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen. And I just don't see the chemistry between Ellis and German.

6 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I do worry that adding these newbies is going to take away from Dr. Linda. She is my favorite side character. Hopefully, though, having "Mom" around will mean Luci will have to go to his shrink to talk about his mommy issues. Oh, that could be fun.

Agree, that's always my fear, that too many characters will take away from the core and those we watch the show for.

However, we do need to keep in mind that "series regular" only means that they're on a "series regular" contract but don't have to appear in every episode. "Series regular" only means that the studio secured their availability for when they need the actor.

• Love 2

Good point CheshireCat and it is a good sign they are giving the show money to secure another character so we don't end up with a revolving door of forensic scientists. I wonder where she will fall on the Luci is he Devil spectrum. I'd kind of love for there to be one human character who knows who he really is and is kind of like "okay, that's a little scary, but he seems like an interesting guy who won't kill me so I'll just go with it for now". Unfortunately, Chloe will probably end up being that character. :(