Type keyword(s) to search

Give The Devil His Due: Lucifer In The Media

A pregnancy of any kind is the last thing I'd want or could see working on the show right now. Congratulations to Brandt if she's really pregnant but I sure hope that they won't write it in. (If she's due in summer, it may actually be pretty easy to work around it)

• Love 2

Congrats to her first and foremost! This is the perfect show to have fun ways of hiding it, or just having everyone ignore it since the writers have yet to act like the fans are stupid. Maybe have Luci do a double take once when she really starts to show and let that be it. Im fine with heavy use of Lesleys stunt double if it means not writing a random story to fit a real life circumstance. Have Maze decide to attempt to run hell and then decide she too likes LA when she's given birth. Or she could be off bounty hunting a lot and maybe we get glimpses of it via facetime chats. There are so many options. 

The show doesn't need a baby and even if it's a demon pregnancy that doesn't come to pass, I always find it very uncomfortable, and kinda insensitive on the writers part, to write a pregnancy in entirely because the actress is only to make said actress play out "baby in peril" or loss of a baby towards the end of their actual pregnancy. 

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 3

Most importantly a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!!  To Brandt and her husband.  Such wonderful news and wishing Brandt a healthy, happy journey into motherhood!

Personally I'd rather the writers don't write the pregnancy into the story.  I feel like they've got their storylines already mapped out, they've set us on the path of those storylines and if they have to upend it now to quickly work in a "Maze is pregnant" storyline, it's going to be forced.

If they do feel they have a way to incorporate a pregnancy into the story, at least -unlike with a 'human' pregnancy- they have a lot of options about what to do once the baby is born.  A half demon child could be an infant for all of an hour and then boom, be Trixie's age by the next day and that's just the way it goes.  There is no reason the baby has to stay a helpless newborn.  Granted you risk running into Conner (of Angel infamy) territory, which may be worse than 'baby in peril' territory YMMV.

They can get pretty creative with shooting around an actress's pregnancy these days.  Maybe they have to back off Maze physically kicking ass, but they've shown that Maze's skill with words is just as kick ass, she could sit behind a counter, be a smart ass talking head and still be keeping everybody in line.

• Love 4

Hell, this is Mazikeen we're talking about. The bump could be because she ate someone (or something), not because she's having a baby. I seem to recall her putting an end to one of the Jin En Mok that way in the comics.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Hell, this is Mazikeen we're talking about. The bump could be because she ate someone (or something), not because she's having a baby. I seem to recall her putting an end to one of the Jin En Mok that way in the comics.

Depending on when exactly she's due and when they restart filming and how quickly she shows, there might not be much of a bump before they stop filming and there might not be a bump when they resume. And unless they make her a huge part of the season finale (being positive here) then she could easily not be in the first couple of episodes because she's hunting down some criminal on the other side of the country. Her timing actually seems to be very TV show filming schedule friendly ;-)

• Love 1

New article with trailer embedded: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01/12/fox-quietly-ending-lucifer/

This article asks the question (implies, rather) whether Fox is "queitly ending Lucifer". Reason for this assumption is the second very long hiatus that will run from January 30th (the third episode shown in January starting with the first of the three on the 16th) until May 1st. They also point to the trailer which has the words "Three episodes left" with no mention of the return in May.

However, we have seen many mentions, including from the producers and the Twitter accounts, about the total 12 remaining episodes to air including some that are flashbacks to Lucifer's arrival to LA.

As to the where the answer may lie in regards to this awkward schedule it might be in the increase from 13 to 22 episodes after the season had already started. They had already set their filming and on-air calendar for the original 13 episodes but when another 9 were ordered they had to accomodate filming (actors, crew, set - and Lord knows what else) as well as slot in the addition episodes to an already set on-air schedule. This would explain the sudden change in December and the original 13 episodes being finished in January. May is sweeps month so they obviously want to include Lucifer in their lineup for ratings and placed the final 9 during that month and rating sweep. This is my guess as I've not seen this weird schedule addressed by the show.

Anyway, my feeling is that because Lucifer's ratings are the highest in Fox's lineup a renewal to season 3 is not out of the question and more likely than a cancellation. ??????

Thoughts?

• Love 1

Well! 

?

In the next article I read, IIldy Modrovich says:

"We’re doing something we haven’t done before, which is we’re having a three-episode procedural arc [launching Jan. 16],” co-showrunner Ildy Modrovich tells TVLine. “So, [in addition to] the mythology and really digging into Lucifer, Chloe and ‘Will They/Won’t They,’ we have one Big Bad guy.”

So the three January eps are a character arc with Tim DeKay, who I adorz!!

And this article shows their intention to return May 1st. Other article was either poorly researched or made to freak-out fans...like a 13 week hiatus isn't enough stress for Lucy fans ?.

"Lucifer returns from its holiday break on Monday, Jan. 16, though for just three episodes (and then resuming its season on May 1). DeKay first airs Jan. 23."

http://tvline.com/2017/01/11/lucifer-season-2-episode-12-tim-dekay-photo/

Didn't Bones have a similar schedule? I never watched the show but I remember that the second half was announced to premiere quite late in the season (way after the other shows and I think even after the ABC shows) and then ran for a lot longer than any of the network shows I watch.

I'm not worrying yet. Lucifer is getting middling ratings, true, but it's on Fox, which historically has gotten by with having a few ratings behemoths (e.g. Simpsons, Idol, Gotham, Empire -- some of which hold up for years, while some peter out) amid a schedule that's got more than its share of stinkers. So I think middling shows have more of a chance on Fox. Hell, they renewed Sleepy Hollow after even its biggest fans decided the network/showrunners had ruined it.

Fox may just want something to give them a summertime bump as all the networks do these days.

Fox made schedule changes to Bones almost every season,  changing days and/or times and took breaks. I love Boreanaz but i didnt care enough about the show to follow it around (though apparently many did.) The Lucifer break really sucks and makes very little sense. The ratings are stable but not huge and at least it will be back on Mondays at 9. They must have paid for the midseason shows up front or something.  But hey, it's still not worse than what a CBS did with Person Of Interests last season. 

Tim Dekay for 3 episodes is a hell of a way to even out the break news. I can't wait!

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 2
On 1/14/2017 at 7:30 PM, Gigi43 said:

Tim Dekay for 3 episodes is a hell of a way to even out the break news. I can't wait!

I am really excited about Tim. I've been hoping he'd get another show of his own instead of just guest spots. He's good and great comedic timing. Can also play a convincing bad guy. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, VisceralVarys said:

Lucifer casts Timothy Omundson.

The Psych and Galavant alum will play God Johnson, a patient in a psychiatric hospital, who is charming, enigmatic, and oh yeah, he thinks he’s the one and only God Almighty.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/20/lucifer-timothy-omundson-god/

This will air later in the Spring.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 4

So disappointed DB only laughed at the question  "is Amenadiel living in the office?"  with no answer. Because I've  been questioning it all season!

I loved the "That's a Fox  question..." answer/end.

• Love 1

OK, this isn't a drill, there's no adjustment this time, we got a 1.2 this week!

Best-since-premiere in viewers, it seems. It's encouraging for a renewal.

I've heard/read somewhere (which means I don't remember where exactly) that Lucifer isn't FOX-owned, but WB might have negociated a sure-thing S3 in exchange for the purgatory of the second hiatus until May 1.  Big grain of salt to be taken but let's hope!

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

OK, this isn't a drill, there's no adjustment this time, we got a 1.2 this week!

Best-since-premiere in viewers, it seems. It's encouraging for a renewal.

I've heard/read somewhere (which means I don't remember where exactly) that Lucifer isn't FOX-owned, but WB might have negociated a sure-thing S3 in exchange for the purgatory of the second hiatus until May 1.  Big grain of salt to be taken but let's hope!

I read that too - somewhere ?

Didn't Hulu buy exclusive rights to Lucifer? I read that last year "somewhere" as well and if I remember the exclusive contract at such an early stage was a positive sign for the series. 

And, it feels like the show has gotten an increase in budget. Some of the special effects last season were laughable.

Important to note that Lucifer's ratings went up while Gothum stayed the same Implying the increase was not from Gothum viewers.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, VisceralVarys said:

Important to note that Lucifer's ratings went up while Gothum stayed the same Implying the increase was not from Gothum viewers.

Both TV Grim Reaper and the Cancel Bear Have Lucifer as well above average for Fox (and Gotham is almost certainly going to be renewed).  Looks like the Monday Night Play Time might carry on.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

The source isn't the most savory but there are pictures of the shooting for Lucifer that took place last week.

WTF.

Hide contents

It seems that Lucifer going to Hell is going to be a big game changer. Or is it Maze going "bad"? I don't know why, but I have the feeling that he doesn't bleed because Chloe's around.

Spoiler

It was established that Lucifer doesn't bleed because of Chloe. But Celestial beings can wound each other. When he and Amenadiel fought, they wounded each other, too.

We also don't know if this happens before or after Hell, do we?

15 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:
  Hide contents

It was established that Lucifer doesn't bleed because of Chloe. But Celestial beings can wound each other. When he and Amenadiel fought, they wounded each other, too.

We also don't know if this happens before or after Hell, do we?

It's the episode that was shot last week whereas

Spoiler

he goes to Hell in the episode that airs next monday. Unless it's a flashback, it's after.

(I had forgotten about the Celestial beings, though, oops.)

1 minute ago, Happy Harpy said:

It's the episode that was shot last week whereas

Hide contents

he goes to Hell in the episode that airs next monday. Unless it's a flashback, it's after.

(I had forgotten about the Celestial beings, though, oops.)

I thought the photos were from the episode next week. My mistake.

This link contains a spoilers about Lucifer that could explain it. http://tvline.com/2017/01/09/arrow-season-5-spoilers-felicity-darker/ They do have a photo of Maze next to the section that concerns Lucifer, so if you don't want read any other spoilers, just scrowl down to it.

Spoiler

I think we should note though that injuring each other only seems to apply to hands-on combat as the knives Maze threw at Lucifer didn't injure him. But since Amenadiel was able to injure Lucifer and vice-versa and they were in a fist fight, they do seem to be able to injure each other with their hands. Maybe because knives were forged on earth and they were not since "demon daggers forged in Hell" do inflict injury, too.

I don't  know  how big  of a spoiler those bloody pictures are suppose to be. Tom Ellis posted one on his Instagram this week with the caption "There were fifty of them! #alternativefacts " Not sure how to link  since I use the ap. But if the blood was from something  pivotal he probably wouldn't be using images for Instagram fun.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, storyskip said:

It looks like Lucifer performed incredibly strong in the numbers.

The Bachelor was 2 hours and had to 'lead' but for the 9:00 hour Lucifer was the top show with a 1.2/4 which put it above Gotham as well.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tv-ratings-monday-jan-30-2017/

Yep, 1.2 is rather safe territory.  (Yay!) And the viewers don't count but they're above 4 millions and on an up trend so it's an additional good sign.

Of course, they had to kill the momentum with a Fox-owned show (only reason why APB gets Lucifer's spot). But I think that at this point, Lucifer's audience is more made of involved/passionate fans than casual viewers, imo, and they seem mostly quite happy with the show.  It's the kind of viewers that should track the return of the show.

Edit: and no adjustment down! Yay x2.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

I've  been hopeful about  a renewal but certainly was not sure and I absolutely  didn't  think it would  come this early. This gives the writers a good amount of time to set up for next year.  It takes the devil to make Fox do some thing right! ;)

...now if only there wasn't the break...

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 4

Interesting media article in the New York Times about monitoring panelists' television viewing habits, not just what programs they're watching but the level of attention they're paying to the programming.  What sparked my interest is that in the article, Lucifer is being compared to one of the highest rated shows on television, The Big Bang Theory.  I'll quote the payoff here, but the full article is worth the read.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/25/business/media/tv-viewers-tracking-tools.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&_r=0&referer=https://t.co/UWA892Bmmq

By measuring the level of attention a person is paying to a given show, TVision believes it can help bolster niche programs and smaller networks. For example, Mr. Schiffman said the company had found that the series “Lucifer,” on Fox, commanded better attention metrics from viewers than “The Big Bang Theory,” on CBS, even though “Big Bang” is one of the TV shows rated highest by Nielsen.

“People don’t just tune into ‘Lucifer.’ They DVR it and watch it when they come home,” he said, adding that viewers tend to be focused on the show and stay in the room when it is on.

Edited by ProudMary
I forgot to add the link to the article!
  • Love 2

The Nielsen's became obsolete when Tivo first appeared. Once consumers could skip ads, they did and never looked back.  Product placement became the thing to do, and where I think the big bucks are these days.

Regarding the bloody pictures we were discussing a while back

Spoiler

Brandt has posted a couple on her twitter account and both she and Lucifer have bloody faces, so I would assume (and hope) it's not a "case of humanity" for Lucifer but more like a case of "celestial beings can injure each other". :-)

Edited by CheshireCat
On 2/28/2017 at 0:04 AM, jhlipton said:

The Nielsen's became obsolete when Tivo first appeared. Once consumers could skip ads, they did and never looked back.  Product placement became the thing to do, and where I think the big bucks are these days.

In agreement with what you've written. 

Several decades ago I was a Nielsen week reporter, first in Houston and then five years later in New Orleans.  (and a couple of hour call in numbers both places as well as where I live now.)  The closest their reporting came was asking for watching in fifteen minute intervals.  And I was given the option of reporting turning a show off or changing channels. 

For a while I was a "hot" demographic, and even was exit polled for elections.  

It's much more electronic than the options you just described these days. Nielsen installs devices on all televisions, DVRs, cable boxes, video game systems (and computers if you say you ever watch TV on the computer). The boxes talk back. No human reporting. And they do count DVR watching but report it in a separate category. They also keep track of things like "watched a DVD for x-long" or "played Xbox for 3 hours on Wednesday".  And if anyone comes to stay for more than 72 hours you have to tell them the demo info on who that is.

Their sampling is still very small and their extrapolation methods are not that great. It is still true (last I checked but it's been a couple years) they only "count" something as having been watched if it were watched for at least 15 minutes, but that's to rule out channel surfing. As far as I know they can tell if you ffed the commercials or not. How valuable they are these days is up for debate, but I'd say that's more due to how they extrapolate than because people can skip commercials.

My real point being, the company referred to in the article may have built a better mousetrap, or may have enough sampling to have found an interesting pattern about Lucifer-watchers, but Nielsen tracks with devices similar to what is described in the article. My take on the company being covered there was more that they've got better sampling than Nielsen, which is easy to believe in a heartbeat.

We were a Nielsen family last summer.  I was all excited and eager, and then a) we got books instead of hardware, so it had to be a manual record; and b) it was the week of the RNC.   So our books had lots and lots of On Demand stuff.  

(edited)

There go my "oh its so easy for a crossover of Lucifer/Supergirl"  dreams;) Apart from the fact that it's set in LA, not connected to the Arrowverse at all and won a tax credit (yes three good reasons) is there an actual reason why they decided to apply for it in the first place, what with most DC shows being in BC, albeit this is on FOX not the CW. Sounds good though, that FOX is very invested in the show.

Edited by Featherhat

This season is going to be trimmed back down to 18 episodes, and the remaining 4 will air sometime in season 3.  Joe Henderson (one of the showrunners) claims that they originally envisioned a 18 episode-arc, so those four will be more stand-alone episodes, so it shouldn't mess things up.  But I still wonder if next season, it will be noticeable which episodes where shot earlier and not.  Still glad the show is coming back, but FOX sure is weird with its scheduling.

• Love 4