Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

I'm going to go against the grain and say it out loud how much I didn't want the show renewed until I saw the news that it was. Stories are winding down this year, we had an evolving door of returning fan-favorites on Dead People Beach, characters are getting their happy endings if not leaving the show entirely - what else is there to do? I'm not interested in watching a season of Owen and Teddy getting back together. The only thing that would top this year as far as returns is if we got Cristina back for an episode. (Second-best would be if Alex returned and they fixed his ending.)

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I'm not interested in watching a season of Owen and Teddy getting back together.

This - I have enough PTSD from the episodes we’ve already seen, I can’t face another season of them. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I saw that. She’s only signed on for one season so im wondering if they’ll announce down the line it’s an 18th and final season. I’m really hoping they will.

Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed!!

I feel like everyone forgets Bailey and Richard.  And they've been around since the beginning!!

Next season we can still get stories for them, plus Amelia and Link, Meredith (obviously), Maggie and Winston, Jo, and I think they have to wrap up whatever McIrishWidower is doing...  I highly doubt it'll be focused on Owen and Teddy. 

If they need to cut the budget for next year, they should just let Kim Raver go.  I think they've ruined her character enough, but the actress is good and can find a different, better role for herself.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm not surprised but I really hope they announce it as the last season. I've said that before though and here were are. This time next year they'll give it a 2 season renewal to bring it up to 20 years. 😉

On the one hand it does deserve to have a wrap up season and plan accordingly but OTOH I wouldn't have been upset if it had ended this year. They're losing cast, EP seems like she's just waiting it out now and I really can't imagine them going on for another 3-4 years. Again that's been said many times. 

I mean Teddy and Owen round 506? Nope. Mer/McWidower/Jo, no thanks. Bailey/Ben job, health and relationship issues part 1001, pass. Linc/Amelia are surprisingly good but go on for longer than a season and that will get blown to smithereens. Maggie/Winston are fine I guess. 

If it they know its the last season then they probably will try and get Sandra Oh and maybe JCap and SaRa back I guess but everyone else has been paraded through already. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 3

Once they got to season fifteen I knew they were going to sixteen because Shonda and co. wanted the ego and the bragging rights of getting past ER, but what more do they have to go on for now?

17 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Once they got to season fifteen I knew they were going to sixteen because Shonda and co. wanted the ego and the bragging rights of getting past ER, but what more do they have to go on for now?

Pass Law & Order?  Then, Law & Order: SVU?  🙄🤣

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Go until they're ready to launch that Zola as an intern spin-off without having to time jump? 

Or Ellis to bring it back to Ellis Grey. Haha maybe that's why they named the baby Ellis.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Go until they're ready to launch that Zola as an intern spin-off without having to time jump? 

They could do a whole intern class of the next generation. Meredith's kids, Sofia, Liam. If reboots are still popular in 20 years, I bet we'll see that.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:
15 hours ago, Featherhat said:

They could do a whole intern class of the next generation. Meredith's kids, Sofia, Liam. If reboots are still popular in 20 years, I bet we'll see that.

Oooh, Tucker could be the chief resident overseeing them all. We could have Harriet and Alex and Izzie's kids in there too. Great concept!

I didn't realize how many Grey/Sloan Memorial kids there are until I started thinking of who could be in the spin-off. There's a whole boatload of them. Which is unsurprising since the doctors on this show apparently have never heard of birth control.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I saw that. She’s only signed on for one season so im wondering if they’ll announce down the line it’s an 18th and final season. I’m really hoping they will.

I could see Ellen now going on a year-to-year basis. So, only having a one season contracting and evaluating by the end of it if she wants to sign on for another year. So, instead of committing to three more years, she only has to commit to one year and then decide if she wants to continue. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, LexieLily said:

The only thing that would top this year as far as returns is if we got Cristina back for an episode.

Looks like Sandra is a hard no on that:

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I don't really blame Sandra. 

Truthfully I feel that 98% of the reason why they are bringing Grey's back is because they need to attach Station 19 to something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I don’t blame Sandra. She gave the show ten years and a full years notice to write her out. It’s more than a lot of the other long term cast members gave.

14 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Truthfully I feel that 98% of the reason why they are bringing Grey's back is because they need to attach Station 19 to something

This! 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Oooh, Tucker could be the chief resident overseeing them all. We could have Harriet and Alex and Izzie's kids in there too. Great concept!

I didn't realize how many Grey/Sloan Memorial kids there are until I started thinking of who could be in the spin-off. There's a whole boatload of them. Which is unsurprising since the doctors on this show apparently have never heard of birth control.

Interesting that you mention Tucker, as Joey, the homeless boy that Ben and Miranda took in, showed he may have a real interest in medicine in the last Station 19 episode.  Of course, no guarantee that they would run with it, as Station 19 is a show about firefighters, with medical stuff being incidental.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Station 19 actually holds its own in the ratings, if they are to be believed.  It is ABC's second highest rated show, so I'm sure they can base decisions about it without considering GA.

Probably. But with all of the cross over events and the fact that Greys does come right after - it will be interesting to see how it would do without all that artificial prop ups (It's nothing against that show - truly. I just resolved that i'd never watch a Shonda show again (though Bridgerton is making that really tough since i like Julia Quinn)  and it irritates me to no end that they link the two shows together like they do.

Not even Buffy and Angel  or Xena and Hercules had that many cross over events (that you actually needed to watch both shows constantly) to figure out what was going on one or the other. 

Edited by Daisy
(edited)

Fair enough SO, I can understand that. I do remember there were rumours that she would come back provided it was definitely the finale but either that changed or it was literally just fan rumours. And she's got a lot of projects to juggle.

So I guess Calzona it is then for biggest nostalgic guest stars next season.

I think S19 would survive one its own, partly due to lack of other options for ABC, although there's no doubt that the network loves the synergy opportunities or whatever it's called now. 

A little like how Private Practice basically survived it's last couple of seasons because it was the only drama that held any of the GA audience at 10pm on Thursdays and ABC had tried to launch about 10 failed shows behind it. 

I really wouldn't be surprised if they had tossed around the idea of a next gen spin off or at least a flash forward episode just like the AU and past eps. Or an ending scene with Zola or Ellis's first day as an intern with Tuck as her resident. Full circle. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 1

I should clarify - GA and Station 19 are the two highest rated *scripted* shows.  The chart I was reading didn't include reality crap, and I guess the Bachelor/Bachelorette get higher ratings.  🤮 (In case you're wondering what's wrong with the world these days... )

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

McIrish's kids and Tucker are a good five-ten years older than Mer's kids/Sofia/Alex's twins, right? Didn't Izzie have a daughter once upon a time? Mark Sloan's grandson?

22 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

McIrish's kids and Tucker are a good five-ten years older than Mer's kids/Sofia/Alex's twins, right? Didn't Izzie have a daughter once upon a time? Mark Sloan's grandson?

Sloan III was born in S6 and is a year older than his Auntie Sofia although like Izzie's daughter Hannah/Sarah he was adopted. Izzie's daughter was 11? in S2 so could be a resident now. 1-3 were all the same year and S4-5 were one year since Lexie became a resident the first ep of S6 so all the babies are or were closer together than the seasons. *Headache*

If any of the writers actually remember S3 now there's also a cousin that's already appeared on the show as a baby: Laura Grey-Thompson. 

• Useful 2
20 hours ago, Shellie said:

Does anyone know why they are showing two episodes from season 2 tomorrow?

15 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

To remind us what a good show it used to be?

6 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Maybe something that happens next in the current season is related, so they want to refresh everyone’s memory?

To boost the ratings? 😄

• LOL 5

Ellen’s getting a podcast.

She has teamed up with Audacy’s Cadence13 to make the show, which will see the actor sit down for in-depth, candid conversations with a wide range of guests who inspire her, extraordinary people who do extraordinary things, to find out what makes them great. Pompeo will use the weekly show to shine a light on people and highlight issues important to her and the world at large.

• Love 1
On 5/12/2021 at 10:00 PM, Shellie said:

Does anyone know why they are showing two episodes from season 2 tomorrow?

The bomb/Superbowl eps... Awesome and the highest rated episodes ever and IMHO the beginning of the descent into "the next big, shocking melodrama event" that has plagued the show. 

There have already been other things exploding or nearly exploding since then and only 3 cast members still around from S2 and if they want people to compare the emotional pay off to something that's going to happen in a couple of weeks, that seems foolish of them because this was GA at the top of their game. 

Maybe they're just banking on nostalgia to get people to tune in? 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

The bomb/Superbowl eps... Awesome and the highest rated episodes ever and IMHO the beginning of the descent into "the next big, shocking melodrama event" that has plagued the show. 

There have already been other things exploding or nearly exploding since then and only 3 cast members still around from S2 and if they want people to compare the emotional pay off to something that's going to happen in a couple of weeks, that seems foolish of them because this was GA at the top of their game. 

Maybe they're just banking on nostalgia to get people to tune in? 

That was when I first started to go off the show (even though I watched both episodes). Denny and Izzie cutting the LVAD wire, and saying, "Did he say 'marry me'?!" or whatever it was that she said. Like it made it all okay, that messed up, whirlwind courtship between doctor and patient. Also, prom. 

• Love 2

I think froM a character point of view Izzie should have been gone after she quit in season two. The LVAD wire was insane. She was far too emotional. Obviously I get why the show wasn’t going to write out such a popular character but still. I felt Heigl and the character peaked around season two. The stuff that followed - Gizzie, ghost sex and even the cancer just wasn’t great. 

• Love 3
On 5/11/2021 at 1:57 PM, Daisy said:

Not even Buffy and Angel  or Xena and Hercules had that many cross over events (that you actually needed to watch both shows constantly) to figure out what was going on one or the other. 

Although I watched both Buffy and Angel, I really appreciated that you did not have to watch both in order to understand what was going on. If you only watched Buffy and saw that Oz went to LA to bring that stupid ring to Angel, great. If you only watched Angel and saw Oz show up with the ring, it was also fine because he specifically said why he was there. But in either case, you didn't get to the next week and ask, "What the hell is going on?" which is what happens with most of the GA/S19 crossovers.

If you only watched Angel, it wasn't necessary for you to know that Angel went back to Sunnydale and sat in the graveyard with Buffy after her mom died because it wasn't integral to the plot on Angel. But on these GA/S19 crossovers, they're having the first half of the GA character's plot of the week on S19 which is really annoying. Sorry, Shondaland, I am NEVER going to watch S19.

• Love 5
On 5/11/2021 at 3:57 PM, Daisy said:

Xena and Hercules did have a few crossovers where you kind of needed to watch both shows to fully get what was going on (the ones where Callisto was crossing over come to mind). However, while Hercules wasn’t really my cup of tea, I didn’t actually mind having to watch it for crossover events, while watching Station 19 feels like I’m having my soul sucked out. 

(Also, for Hercules and Xena crossovers, the irony was that the spinoff was wildly more popular and the purpose of those was to get more eyeballs from Xena back onto the parent show.)

• Love 1

They've only done 2 crossovers this season (that I recall) and the second one you most definitely did not need to watch Station 19 to know that an annoying couple got in a car accident.  They were brought to the hospital at the beginning of the GA episode just like any other accident victim where we never see the accident.  I'll give you the one with Deluca, but that was basically The Deluca Show and was very little S19 anyway.

Crossovers are extremely common - now they are every other week for Law & Order:SVU and the new show with what's-his-face back.  The "Chicago One" franchise does them all the time too.  Complain all we want, but I don't think they are going anywhere...

• Love 3

Oh, I got the episodes mixed up. That was when Izzie and Alex hooked up. 

If the bomb guy had stuck around, they would have been dating, instead of McVet. 

14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Although I watched both Buffy and Angel, I really appreciated that you did not have to watch both in order to understand what was going on. If you only watched Buffy and saw that Oz went to LA to bring that stupid ring to Angel, great. If you only watched Angel and saw Oz show up with the ring, it was also fine because he specifically said why he was there. But in either case, you didn't get to the next week and ask, "What the hell is going on?" which is what happens with most of the GA/S19 crossovers.

If you only watched Angel, it wasn't necessary for you to know that Angel went back to Sunnydale and sat in the graveyard with Buffy after her mom died because it wasn't integral to the plot on Angel. But on these GA/S19 crossovers, they're having the first half of the GA character's plot of the week on S19 which is really annoying. Sorry, Shondaland, I am NEVER going to watch S19.

Yeah pretty much. 

Again, i'm not against crossovers, and I get  when they are in the same world (someone brought up the Chicago series) and Law and Order - it makes sense - so it wouldn't bother me so much if that they had them linked. And maybe i'm over dramatizing it - but i tried watching S19. twice. (one of them was trying to see what happened to DeLuca) and i was just so bored, and not into the show. and i hate the fact that a Grey's character (whom i really liked) was murdered, and I don't know how, why or anything. all of that shoulda been on GA not 19.

same with Bailey adopting this kid? like.. wha?! things like that shouldn't happen imo. 

10 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Xena and Hercules did have a few crossovers where you kind of needed to watch both shows to fully get what was going on (the ones where Callisto was crossing over come to mind). However, while Hercules wasn’t really my cup of tea, I didn’t actually mind having to watch it for crossover events, while watching Station 19 feels like I’m having my soul sucked out. 

(Also, for Hercules and Xena crossovers, the irony was that the spinoff was wildly more popular and the purpose of those was to get more eyeballs from Xena back onto the parent show.)

LOL this is true. I always kinda think because Xena dumped the campy after the first two seasons and that them more as a one off, while Hercules basically kept it (and had serious episodes as a one off). I know I was mostly team Xena. 

and you are right. the Callisto ones was very much a "Wait what?"

• Love 2
(edited)

I watched the first two seasons of station 19 and really struggled. I know it’s common for surgeons to talk over surgery but I felt it was so inappropriate when they’d be on calls in high stake situations yammering on about some ridiculous romantic tryst. Also I’ve no idea what the set up is now but I hated the main character Andy - I thought she was awful and felt the writing suffered in the writers quest to make her more likeable. 

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Maybe Ben will change careers again?/s

Seattle Chiropractors?  So that Ben, Amelia and Link have somewhere to go after carrying both of these shows on their backs this whole time?  

ETA:  I know it wasn't a spinoff, but it was Shondaland - Rebel was good.  I don't know why they cancelled it so quickly without giving it time.  

Edited by FnkyChkn34
(edited)
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Seattle Chiropractors?  So that Ben, Amelia and Link have somewhere to go after carrying both of these shows on their backs this whole time?  

ETA:  I know it wasn't a spinoff, but it was Shondaland - Rebel was good.  I don't know why they cancelled it so quickly without giving it time.  

It was! Maybe instead of trying to beat a dead horse with the Grey's Anatomy "franchise", how about enrich new shows and give them time to gain an audience? 

TPTB need to let Grey's Anatomy go. I doubt Station 19 will be able to sustain for much longer after the mothership ends (if it ever ends!). 

ETA: Rebel actually isn't Shondaland, but it is Krista Vernoff's show and an ABC Signature production.  

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

ETA: Rebel actually isn't Shondaland, but it is Krista Vernoff's show and an ABC Signature production.  

Sorry, I thought that they were basically the same thing, meaning that I thought Krista worked for Shondaland. 😉