Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

I don't know that I've seen an actress that actively seems to dislike the show she is lead and executive producer of the way Ellen Pompeo does. 

I’m sure she likes the paycheck enough to put up with it

Edited by chitowngirl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 8/6/2022 at 12:04 AM, LexieLily said:

I don't know that I've seen an actress that actively seems to dislike the show she is lead and executive producer of the way Ellen Pompeo does. 

It’s clear she’s over it and wants out. They seem to keep throwing money at her which she’s happy to accept but I feel like she hates it now and wants to disassociate to a degree. She’s been slating it for a while. Stop signing contracts Ellen, maybe then you and all of us will be put out of our misery.

I think they’re trying to get to twenty seasons and once that’s done we might finally get an end to it all.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I think they’re trying to get to twenty seasons and once that’s done we might finally get an end to it all.

I assumed once they got past fifteen seasons and made it past ER to become the longest-running medical drama, they'd stop. Because that was so clearly what Shonda and Co cared about. 

The show continuing to go on with Ellen popping whenever she feels like it is just stupid. Is this year meant to be a trial run on FINALLY transitioning to a new lead?

Why are Teddy, Owen, and Schmidt still here?!?! Why do TPTB hate me?? It’s my own fault; they know that I’ll continue watching until the bitter end.

ETA: I am sad that Scott Speedman was bumped from regular to recurring. It makes sense, but I really liked his character.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

What happened to we’ll do the show as long as both Ellen and Shonda want to? Ellen is clearly over it. She’s low key slating the show any chance she gets. Why they couldn’t have just Used last season to finally end the show I’ll never know. Everything was wrapping up nicely. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

They missed a chance years ago to focus on the rest of the hospital and less on Ellen. I agree Ellen seems over it, but I also think she knows deep down she'll never get another opportunity like Grey's.  I think it's pretty clear that the show is trying to limp on until season 20 and then it's a wrap.

Ellen said years ago that she didn't go after any other more exciting roles because she liked the stability of Grey's, but also has said she doesn't find it challenging and implied she doesn't find it enjoyable. She just wanted the money and to raise her kids. Maybe now that her kids are older, she'll finally broaden her acting horizons? 

• Like 1

I think after Dempsey left she was revitalised because she had something to prove maybe? Now that she’s shown they didn’t need him I’m not sure she had that much interest. I’d say had he stayed and they were on good terms the show might have wrapped up by now.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I mean, did Mark Harmon think he was making great art on NCIS going into year 18 there?  No. He & Ellen are making huge paychecks because they generate huge profits. Also, they understand that if they walk away, an entire cast, crew & staff may lose a solid gig, many of them not as secure. It’s a conundrum. Are you an ass for hanging on too long (audience) or hero for keeping going (staff). Ultimately both just decided they’ve done enough & hopefully show can go on. 
As for us, we all just have to decide when is enough for each of us individually. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 7
41 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

So they push the interns this hard every year? I know Jos class got a lot of air time but I feel like they’re really trying to reboot with the new interns.

IMO, the "Begin Again" press and marketing with the five brand new interns, and the push to put these new faces/characters out there, is reading as a soft reboot. 

It's like tptb at Grey's won't come out and say it's a reboot, but what they are clearly doing is setting up for when - not if - Ellen leaves. 

Instead of ending this once great series with any shred of goodwill and dignity, they are continuing to bleed it dry. It's already a different show, they could've done a medical spin-off, but the time for any worthy ending has long since passed. 

JMO

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Is she not going to be listed as a regular? I thought she was back for the finale.

The article said she’ll be in the next episode and the finale…that will bring her up to her commitment of 8 episodes.  

2 hours ago, taanja said:

All I know is -- when Ellen (Meredith Grey) is gone I am gone as well. No Grey in Grey's

She isn’t gone, gone.  She’ll still do the voice overs and be back for the season finale. .  

2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

She isn’t gone, gone.  She’ll still do the voice overs and be back for the season finale. .  

That's just for the remainder of this season. But after season 19…? 

I can't help but laugh, though. I know Shonda handed over the Grey's Anatomy reigns 5+ years ago. But she always said that the show would end when Ellen is done.

Well, Ellen is done. lol

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

I can't help but laugh, though. I know Shonda handed over the Grey's Anatomy reigns 5+ years ago. But she always said that the show would end when Ellen is done.

Well, Ellen is done. lol

That’s probably why the concentration on the interns…next season will be Grey’s Anatomy:  The Next Generation 

• Love 3
On 11/17/2022 at 6:48 PM, funnygirl said:

Well, Ellen is done. lol

Exactly. To keep this show will be beating a dead horse. Let it go out on a high with Ellen going out. There's no point in carrying on without the title character.

• Like 2

Well, if it comes down to getting custody of Maggie or Winston, I’m good with Grey’s keeping Winston.  

Wonder if she’s moving to Boston to join big sis and create some new medical innovation.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, bybrandy said:

She’s been here 9 years?!???  Shouldn’t she have made motley of an impact?

She dated her stepbrother, does that count?

Edited by LexieLily
  • LOL 3
21 minutes ago, shantown said:

I could go either way on Maggie, but I'm just sad that with continual cast departures we are somehow STILL stuck with Owen 

And Teddie

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1

For me, this is the first season in a few years where I don't think they need to hang it up. I think this new crop of interns is the best in awhile - they even made Glasses and Helm relevant! I don't mind the group of Jo, Amelia, Linc, Winston, and Nick taking over as chiefs and attendings. The new MAGYK is likable enough where I think season 20 could have promise. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/greys-anatomy-season-19-relationships-new-intern-class-paleyfest-1235571225/

Bad news inside for those who hate Jo and Linc. They also talk about creating the new intern class:

“Every time a created character would come and do a casting call, I would watch and I would think ‘Oh, if that extraordinary actor can’t bring that character to life, it’s the wrong character.’ … and I renamed the character and revamped around the star power of those five.” 

This may explain why the new interns are so indistinct and unmemorable. Instead of creating strong characters then looking until they found the right actors, they just… made it work?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/greys-anatomy-season-19-relationships-new-intern-class-paleyfest-1235571225/

Bad news inside for those who hate Jo and Linc. They also talk about creating the new intern class:

This may explain why the new interns are so indistinct and unmemorable. Instead of creating strong characters then looking until they found the right actors, they just… made it work?

Yeah, if that "extraordinary" actor can't bring the character to life, maybe that actor isn't "extraordinary" so much as just "bad."

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:

Yeah, if that "extraordinary" actor can't bring the character to life, maybe that actor isn't "extraordinary" so much as just "bad."

Or just miscast. With thousands of young actors looking for a break, I find it hard to believe that they couldn’t find the right fit. And that *this* group were absolute must-gets who warranted parts written just for them.

But who knows. Maybe they were also terrible characters as written. I mean, someone came up with Glasses…

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

But who knows. Maybe they were also terrible characters as written. I mean, someone came up with Glasses…

This was my first thought. There can't be any shortage of good actors who want a spot as a regular. But their track record with committing to writing for interns is spotty at best after the original MAGIC. Hopefully their excitement around the casting means they're finally going to stick with these characters.

(edited)

I like most of the new interns.  Not crazy about the fiance/longing for another guy storyline but I really like the actress (sorry her charracter's name escapes me right now but the Shepherd nephew is Dr. Adams).  I love Harry Shum so I hope they take his role and make it more rounded.  Not particularly enamored of either of the other two women but don't feel like they are well rounded out at this point.  There is potential.

At this point I am feeling better about a Jo/Link pairing...the Amelia ship has long sailed and I like their friendship.  I think they would be a great pair - maybe not as dynamic as some of the others but just good people raising kids together (plus their babies would be really cute).

Edited by RoxiP
On 3/25/2023 at 2:22 PM, PepSinger said:

Season 20 needs to be IT. This is bordering on parody at this point.

I keep praying that they just wanted to make it to season 20 and then call it a wrap. 

• Like 5