Type keyword(s) to search

Grey's Anatomy in the Media: Incident Reporting

• Start Topic

Justin wasn't in contract negotiations. He signed on last year for 2 more seasons. All this "he wanted a producer credit" or "he wasn't happy with his storylines/screentime" have absolutely nothing to do with anything and couldn't be further from the point.

And in terms of "backstage drama", that hasn't been an issue since Patrick left. And even then, he was clashing with producers/writers, not other actors.

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Norma Desmond said:

I remember Justin's short stint on "Cold Case". He left abruptly too, I am not sure why or if he left to join Grey's.

As far as I know that was because TPTB didn't think he had the right chemistry with the female lead.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Chas411 said:

For a million an episode I think she might have still signed. I don’t say that to sound like a smart ass I just think it’s become really obvious that the show is just a cash cow and they stopped caring about the storyline/characters/ending a long time ago.

I honestly think this couldn't be further from the truth. I get that it's how a bunch of cynical fans see it, which isn't surprising after all these years, but it isn't how the writers/producers/actors see it. Ellen made $40M between seasons 14 and 15 alone. She didn't need to sign on for two more. Of course money is important - it's a job. And Grey's is a massive money-maker. But they have, by all accounts, a great work environment: there's a reason so few regulars have left of their own will over the last several seasons. Since Sara's departure at the end of season 12, all the regular actors that have left have been creative choices, not the actors wanting to leave (AKA... they were let go). Until Justin. When you listen to Camilla, Caterina, Kelly, Kevin, Kim, Chandra, etc. talk about the show, you can tell they're proud of it. They're telling important stories and they all seem to love working together.

The rape episode last year greatly increased calls to the sexual assault hotline that they promoted at the end. They employ women of colour behind and in front of the camera more than nearly anything else on broadcast TV. They hire tons of female writers and directors. They tell stories about race, sexuality, and illness that reach a MASSIVE audience. They've been inspiriting girls to become surgeons, doctors, and nurses for years. Grey's is basically an actors dream, aside from being, like... Leonardo DiCaprio or Meryl Streep.

They may not always stick the landing, but it's rare to be part of something in Hollywood that even tries as much as Grey's does, much less something with as huge of an audience. I think everyone involved knows how lucky they are to be part of this thing. Most actors go their entire career without a part in a series nearly as significant as Grey's. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, BaseOps said:
20 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I honestly think this couldn't be further from the truth. I get that it's how a bunch of cynical fans see it, which isn't surprising after all these years,

I appreciate you like the show and feel differently but Unless one of us is Shonda, Ellen or a show member undercover We don’t have any hard facts and can only speculate.

You’ve done a wonderful job illustrating how the show looks after the actors and I do believe that that’s true. My point is that they don’t care about the storyline/ending/characters at this point which I still believe. Outside of maybe Merediths ending of course. One character out of X amount. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I appreciate you like the show and feel differently but Unless one of us is Shonda, Ellen or a show member undercover We don’t have any hard facts and can only speculate.

You’ve done a wonderful job illustrating how the show looks after the actors and I do believe that that’s true. My point is that they don’t care about the storyline/ending/characters at this point which I still believe. Outside of maybe Merediths ending of course. One character out of X amount. 

All I'm speaking to is the idea that the people working on it only look at it as a paycheque. I can tell you that's factually wrong. I know people who work on the show (not Ellen or Shonda lol, but a writer and a few crew members) and can at least attest to the fact that it's a great work environment and they're all trying hard to tell important stories.

By all accounts, they're scrambling after Justin left because they had intended an Alex/Jo endgame and expected Alex to be by Meredith's side until the end of the series. I don't always like the writers' choices (I'd be very content if Owen, Teddy, Maggie, Jackson and Catherine all disappeared) but I do believe they care about the show they're making and the characters they're writing. I can't change anyones mind, that's not my intent, just share my side of it.

• Love 6

If the show cared about the characters and ending, it would've ended a long time ago. And that's just the truth. From a CREATIVE standpoint, just because it still holds up in ratings and makes a bunch of money doesn't mean it should still be on the air. That Grey's is in it's 16th season with a season 17 renewal is a business decision, period. 

And as others pointed out, the only character/ending they even remotely care about now is Meredith's. And that's because the woman who plays her holds the cards in determining how much more tptb can squeeze out of this known entity. 

But YMMV. 

• Love 18
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 10:05 AM, funnygirl said:

If the show cared about the characters and ending, it would've ended a long time ago. And that's just the truth. From a CREATIVE standpoint, just because it still holds up in ratings and makes a bunch of money doesn't mean it should still be on the air. That Grey's is in it's 16th season with a season 17 renewal is a business decision, period. 

And as others pointed out, the only character/ending they even remotely care about now is Meredith's. And that's because the woman who plays her holds the cards in determining how much more tptb can squeeze out of this known entity. 

But YMMV. 

I actually still enjoy the show and want to see it end in it's own time.  

• Love 7

Justin Chambers is excited for life after ‘Grey’s Anatomy’

When asked whether it’s true if he’d spent time at Privé-Swiss, he responded, “Maybe,” before quickly changing the topic. “Anyways, ‘Grey’s’ has been very supportive of me and I’m very grateful and it’s been a great ride.”

He also said leaving the ABC series, in which he’s played Alex Karev since Season 1, was emotional for him.

“Of course, anywhere that you spend 15 years, it’s a big chunk of your life,” he said.

There's a video and honestly he looks better there than he has on the last few seasons of Grey's. I wish him the best.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 9

I'm more and more confused. Obviously he's not gonna tell the public if he had/has to face some severe tragedy in life, but all of his statements sound like he was just done with Grey's and is looking to do other projects. But why not do a little good-bye arc then? And how was he left out of his contract so easily, if it wasn't for personal reasons?

• Love 7
5 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

And how was he left out of his contract so easily, if it wasn't for personal reasons?

As an original cast member, he probably got to call a lot of shots when it came to any new contracts he signed. I’m guessing escape clause.

What is the timeline for all this? When he filmed his last episode, did anyone know that it was going to be his last episode? When it aired? Are they releasing this information now because GA is starting back up and people would notice that Karev never came back from seeing his Mom? How much notice did writers have to write him out in the middle of the season?

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

I'm more and more confused. Obviously he's not gonna tell the public if he had/has to face some severe tragedy in life, but all of his statements sound like he was just done with Grey's and is looking to do other projects. But why not do a little good-bye arc then? And how was he left out of his contract so easily, if it wasn't for personal reasons?

I don't know but my first impression from that statement is that he probably did leave/was let out of his contract for personal reasons that he clearly does not want to talk about so he's focusing on life after Grey's instead. 

• Love 3

I'm hoping I am very wrong and just being overly pessimistic but I have a bad feeling that we may soon hear the announcement that he has split with his wife.  When something goes down like this with a celeb and there is so much mystery about it, it oftentimes is just the beginning of other news to follow.  I hope I am wrong! 

2 hours ago, Evie said:

I don't know but my first impression from that statement is that he probably did leave/was let out of his contract for personal reasons that he clearly does not want to talk about so he's focusing on life after Grey's instead. 

That's fair. I did think maybe he wanted to deflect. I do wish him the best and he needs to do what's best for him. But I am also super sad this is the way it ends for Alex. I was so invested in this character.

• Love 3
On 1/12/2020 at 10:22 AM, BaseOps said:

Per a friend of mine who is... familiar with the set, Chambers wasn't being let go. He wasn't moving to any spin-off (there was never a Pac-Gen spinoff on the table). He was signed on through the end of next season. He's very well-liked on set, good friends with Ellen, Jesse, etc. He asked for time off for personal issues, which he was granted, and then amidst that break, he approached ABC and the producers asking to be let go from his contract immediately. 

Yeah I have "heard" some rumors too. Maybe we have the same friend? LOL

Anyway--I like how people go right to the -- It must be Ellen's fault. Jeeze. 

• Love 4
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 12:54 PM, taanja said:

Anyway--I like how people go right to the -- It must be Ellen's fault. Jeeze. 

Well, the show goes to great lengths to emphasize that the earth, moon, and stars all revolve around Meredith onscreen. I don't think its a great stretch to imagine that the same is true of Pompeo offscreen.  

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Well, the show goes to great lengths to emphasize that the earth, moon, and stars all revolve around Meredith onscreen. I don't think its a great stretch to imagine that the same is true of Pompeo offscreen.  

Actors and the characters they play are two completely different beings.

• Love 3

Apparently the actor who plays Jackson will also be appearing on Broadway during the filming season.   He's only going to be available to fly round trip one day a week (I think that's what they said), so he's going to be in many fewer scenes this year.  

On 1/28/2020 at 2:48 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Apparently the actor who plays Jackson will also be appearing on Broadway during the filming season.   He's only going to be available to fly round trip one day a week (I think that's what they said), so he's going to be in many fewer scenes this year.  

If anyone's interested, info about the play:

Actor and activist Jesse Williams will make his Broadway debut in the upcoming Second Stage Theater revival of Richard Greenberg's Take Me Out. The Grey's Anatomy star will play Darren Lemming in the Tony-winning play, about a baseball player who is forced to contend with the challenges of being a gay person of color.

Directed by Scott Ellis, Take Me Out will begin performances April 2, 2020, ahead of an April 23 opening at 2ST's Hayes Theater on Broadway (a slight delay from the previously reported first preview date of March 31).

First seen on Broadway in 2003, under the direction of Joe Mantello, Take Me Out looks at the personal and professional intricacies of one of America's favorite sports. When Darren, the star center fielder for the Empires, comes out of the closet, the reception off the field reveals a barrage of long-held unspoken prejudices. As the Empires struggle to rally toward a championship season, the players and their fans begin to question tradition, their loyalties, and the price of victory.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Jesse Williams reflecting on Alex's departure / teasing what's to come to ET: 

"It can't not reverberate. It's such an incredible, impactful character. I've always said that’s always been one of my favorite characters."

"[Justin's] been one of the sweetest and funniest guys on set with me and everyone, certainly not just me. He's a light and he's so unassuming and chill as a person. And that character is specific and rooted and motivated. It's a big departure and it will impact all of us and impact the relationships that form and sever as a result, for sure."

As Grey's moves on from Chambers' exit, Williams looked ahead to another key relationship that's been heating up since the start of the season: Jackson's blossoming romance with Station 19 firefighter, Vic.

"There will be some answers before the end of the season for both shows. I think that that relationship is playing an important role for both of them because they're both coming out of two very different situations -- her losing her fiance [Ripley] and Jackson having this little bit of bumper cars with a couple of relationships since the love of his life left and the person he co-parents with [April]."

"And I think Jackson is still admittedly -- speaking of knowing yourself and with this play, being honest with yourself -- Jackson doesn't quite have both feet on the ground. I think he's not entirely available as much as he might want to be."

Speaking of April, Williams addressed a lingering question that's been on the back of fans' minds ever since Sarah Drew left the show at the end of season 14. The actor expressed optimism that that part of Jackson's story -- the fact that he and April are parents to a young daughter, Harriet -- will still remain a crucial part of his character's identity moving forward, even though fans haven't seen much of her since.

"I hope so. We'll see. We'll certainly see Harriet again. I know that we shot with her," Williams revealed. "I think in general, fans need to keep in mind -- I know we love, and I'm one of them, loved Japril -- but we don't see kids very often on the show anyway. But you know, you've got 12 series regulars. You’ve got story to tell. Kids are not always the best device for that. So I would just remind our fans that it's not unique to Japril. Harriet is not being isolated in some way. We don't see most of the kids very often outside of a glimpse. But any connection... Sarah Drew is one of my favorite people in the world and that character and that relationship are everything to me, so I'm all for anything that connects to that in any way."

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BaseOps said:

". . . and Jackson having this little bit of bumper cars with a couple of relationships since the love of his life left and the person he co-parents with [April]."

What does this mean?  Who is the love of his life that left?

Grey's Anatomy is the only show I watch on regular network (and sometimes Station 19) television.  I hope it stays on for a little while longer so I can justify paying extra on DirectTV to watch...LOL!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Grey's Anatomy is the only show I watch on regular network (and sometimes Station 19) television.  I hope it stays on for a little while longer so I can justify paying extra on DirectTV to watch...LOL!

What country are you in? In the US, ‘Network TV’ is free with a digital tuner/antenna, i.e. you don’t have to pay for a service to watch any of those stations because they are aired on the publicly owned air waves.

22 hours ago, chocolatine said:

The show is shutting down production due to Coronavirus. Apparently they've filmed 21 out of 25 episodes that were supposed to air this season. So it sounds like we're getting a truncated season.

They didn't shut down technically. They're suspending production for at least two weeks. And then they'll reevaluate. And also that is the incubation period of the virus, and if someone has it by then, they'd know I would think if they can come back in two weeks or even a month, they should be able to finish the full order, even if they have to shoot in May

I know the main concern is not wanting large gatherings of people, and I'm not sure how it's different and how it's the same as other public gathering events.

If they they can't come back, it will be pretty interesting as to how they wrap up the storylines from this season into next season. Because ending abruptly on episode 21 is bound to be a cliffhanger.

But it will be interesting as to how they handle this delay, and this is an unprecedented event.

Grey's Anatomy, Station 19, and The Resident donated masks, gloves, and gowns to Ontario Fire Department and Atlanta's Grady Memorial Hospital

"At 'Station 19,' we were lucky enough to have about 300 of the coveted N95 masks which we donated to our local fire station. They were tremendously grateful. At 'Grey’s Anatomy,' we have a back-stock of gowns and gloves which we are donating as well," Krista Vernoff, executive producer of ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" and "Station 19" told "Good Morning America" in a statement. "We are all overwhelmed with gratitude for our healthcare workers during this incredibly difficult time, and in addition to these donations, we are doing our part to help them by staying home."

Dr. Karen Law, a rheumatologist at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, shared that the producers of "The Resident" on FOX sent over "all the things our healthcare workers need to provide safe care for our community during #COVID19."

"Yesterday, I had a serious discussion with the residents about how, though supplies are low, a magical shipment of masks is unlikely to arrive. And yet, a magical shipment of masks DID arrive, in the form of this very generous gesture," she wrote. "This kind of community support means so much to our #frontlineproviders who are making many sacrifices to staff our hospitals and care for our community."

Scott Steiner, CEO of Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital in Albany, Georgia, told ABC News that his staff has "gone through ... six months of personal protective equipment in just seven days."

• Love 3
On 3/13/2020 at 10:29 PM, WinJet0819 said:

They didn't shut down technically. They're suspending production for at least two weeks. And then they'll reevaluate. And also that is the incubation period of the virus, and if someone has it by then, they'd know I would think if they can come back in two weeks or even a month, they should be able to finish the full order, even if they have to shoot in May

I know the main concern is not wanting large gatherings of people, and I'm not sure how it's different and how it's the same as other public gathering events.

If they they can't come back, it will be pretty interesting as to how they wrap up the storylines from this season into next season. Because ending abruptly on episode 21 is bound to be a cliffhanger.

But it will be interesting as to how they handle this delay, and this is an unprecedented event.

There is a 0% chance they'll be filming by the beginning of April.  I live in LA, and Governor Newsom today issued a "safer at home" semi-mandate for the entire state of California that will remain in place "until further notice"; the only businesses operating will be the essentials: grocery stores, pharmacies, takeout/delivery restaurants, banks, and the like.  Any and all productions are shuttered at least until this mandate is lifted and we're on the backside of this pandemic, and I don't think that will be for a month at the earliest (and even that's overly optimistic at this point).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Showrunner Krista Vernoff tweeted tonight:

We are disappointed that we don’t get to complete our storytelling this season. The good news? [Episode] 1621 plays like a satisfying finale! It’s not where we planned to end, but it’s beautiful & the questions that linger we will answer next [season]. #GreysAnatomy #StayHome

So the season finale airs April 9th. 

• Love 1

I agree with Krista about Karev’s exit episode-they were dealt an impossible task. There was no way to make everyone happy. They had to deal with this storyline at the last minute while they probably had an outline for where they were going to go with the characters and that had to be scrapped.

• Love 4

That episode made me cry. It made me laugh. I felt really deeply. I felt satisfaction, and I will say that I have received a great many comments from fans who felt the same way, but the angry people are always the loudest ones.

I wasn’t surprised by the fan reaction, but I know it would’ve been equally angry if I had killed him — so it was like, these are your choices, and I felt really happy with what we chose.

I don't know if it would have been equally angry if they had killed him. I think people would have been angry that he had to go but at least it wouldn't have been character assassination.

I will say that of all the storylines that were left hanging, that is the one that I was the most disappointed about. Actually, there were two: I’m disappointed that I cannot give Teddy — we had an episode coming up where we were able to better articulate and better understand what’s prompting Teddy’s behavior, and we don’t get to air it. Who knows, maybe it’s going to change between now and when we’ll actually shoot it for Season 17, but I feel for Kim Raver. The amount of standing is high, and we’ve left her in a strange place. It’s compelling, and why? Your question is big. Why? Why would she sabotage — why, when she was finally getting her happy ending, did she sabotage it? I think it’s the super-rich area personally.

I know that I just can't wait to see what happens with Owen and Teddy next season. Not.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I, for one, am glad they didn't kill off Alex. That'd be sacrificing the life of his character just so he and Jo stay "together" and he never "leaves" her, he just dies. No thank you!

I think tptb did the very best they could with the timing they had, and I'm glad for it. 

Tough for the Jolex shippers, but the fault is really on this show being on for too damn long. If it ended 5 seasons ago, everyone would've pretty much gotten what they wanted. I fail to see how any ending will be satisfying now. lol 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

Tough for the Jolex shippers, but the fault is really on this show being on for too damn long. If it ended 5 seasons ago, everyone would've pretty much gotten what they wanted. I fail to see how any ending will be satisfying now. lol 

Agreed. To be honest it sucks to ship any character on this show. With the exception of Linc/Amelia every ship has been butchered beyond recognition. Every character for that matter.

• Love 6

No, I can't see the good in Alex's exit, and it's not as a Jolex shipper, but as an Alex fan. He left everyone and everything without goodbye, lied about where he was going, disappeared for weeks, and then sent these cowardly, horrible letters.

And yes I would have been equally angry about it, if they had killed him off. But I'm tired of hearing those were the only two options.

They had the easiest and best solution right in front of their eyes. They said Alex went to Iowa to help his mom. Why not stick with that and say he needed to be there for her or his siblings indefinitely? Then he and Jo could have tried long-distance that ulimately didn't work out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

It's like Krista ignored all the logical responses to why Alex's exit was awful (the writing and having him just up and leave EVERYONE, including his wife, to go shack up with his ex wife just because they have kids) and chose to focus on the people whining about the romance aspect (Jo vs Izzie) and the choice bein him leaving, him staying offscreen, and death.

No, Krista. For the last goddamn time, the issue is HOW Alex left. There ARE more options than just those three. If you were creative enough to think of an actual way to have Alex leave that is IN CHARACTER and not done this, then there WOULDN'T be as much controversy.

Because, again, the simple solution was to have Alex/Jo make the choice TOGETHER for him to go off to Izzie, NOT have him shacking up in bed with Izzie immediately, and have offscreen conversations take place instead of everyone close to Alex getting letters. Bailey/Richard, fine, they can get letters. Jo and Meredith both deserved in face interactions. And yes, fans would have been JUST FINE if they happened offscreen because fans KNOW why this was happening and it was impossible for them to happen in the episode.

I will forever fight against Krista's choice and continue to repeat that it wasn't Alex leaving that was the issue; it was the execution that was on the writers and they failed. 

• Love 11
10 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

No, I can't see the good in Alex's exit, and it's not as a Jolex shipper, but as an Alex fan. He left everyone and everything without goodbye, lied about where he was going, disappeared for weeks, and then sent these cowardly, horrible letters.

And yes I would have been equally angry about it, if they had killed him off. But I'm tired of hearing those were the only two options.

They had the easiest and best solution right in front of their eyes. They said Alex went to Iowa to help his mom. Why not stick with that and say he needed to be there for her or his siblings indefinitely? Then he and Jo could have tried long-distance that ulimately didn't work out.

Same. I'm not a shipper, and I hated his exit.

• Love 6

“[Camilla Luddington] had so beautifully gone through many months of very dark storytelling, and I didn’t want any of us to watch Jo go into a hole again.”

"We didn't want to write any more sad stuff for her so shut up."

I'm surprised that they didn't write that Jo secretly knew that Alex really wanted Izzie all along.

• Love 1
On 4/16/2020 at 8:37 PM, statsgirl said:

"We didn't want to write any more sad stuff for her so shut up."

I'm surprised that they didn't write that Jo secretly knew that Alex really wanted Izzie all along.

According to Krista they couldn't have just scrapped Catherine buying Pac-North and left Alex in charge there or at another unseen hospital because then Jo wouldn't have anything "fun" to do.

• Love 1

I do agree that it would have limited Jo’s storyline potential massively. Ironically I think this has been one of her best seasons. The best Alex exit would have been for both of them to leave together. Had Chambers given any notice of his plans maybe they could have done that. He didn’t though and unfortunately there were limited options. I think having Jo more involved in his decision would have been more realistic though ie they mystery being she disappears herself for a few weeks and comes back with the letters and admitting her and Alex both agreed he should stay leaving him status with Izzie open ended. At least that way we could buy they came to the decision together and there could have been better closure for Jo then what she got.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 2
On 4/26/2020 at 4:05 AM, Chas411 said:

I do agree that it would have limited Jo’s storyline potential massively. Ironically I think this has been one of her best seasons. The best Alex exit would have been for both of them to leave together. Had Chambers given any notice of his plans maybe they could have done that. He didn’t though and unfortunately there were limited options. I think having Jo more involved in his decision would have been more realistic though ie they mystery being she disappears herself for a few weeks and comes back with the letters and admitting her and Alex both agreed he should stay leaving him status with Izzie open ended. At least that way we could buy they came to the decision together and there could have been better closure for Jo then what she got.

Nah. I think the route the show went was the right direction. I think Alex would have done exactly what they made the character do ... just up and leave and finally send a note/letter/text explaining the why and wherefore. 

There will be two new series regulars for the upcoming season

The veteran medical drama has promoted Richard Flood and Anthony Hill to series regular,..

Flood joined Grey's in season 16 in a recurring role as Dr. Cormack Hayes, a pediatric surgeon who was sent as a "gift" from Cristina (Sandra Oh) to Meredith (Ellen Pompeo). While Hayes and Meredith initially did not see eye to eye, the duo eventually bonded after realizing they were both widowed. The character is considered Meredith's next major love interest.

Hill, for his part, guest starred last season as Dr. Winston Ndugu, a man from Maggie's (Kelly McCreary) past who bumps into his former boss from Tufts while the duo were at a medical conference. Sparks flew and Winston is considered Maggie's central love interest heading into season 17.