Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E24: Live Top 6 Eliminations

• Start Topic

At 8:42pmEST I yelled FUUUUCK!  No, NO NOOOO!  (that would be the time Joshua's name was called and my prediction of Team Xtina being in the finals were shattered)

Damn Kimberly, why couldn't you have sang your save song last night, then you wouldn't have been in the bottom two IMO.

• Love 6
(edited)

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam
Joshua Davis (saved by America)

Team Pharrell
Sawyer Fredericks (saved by America)
Koryn Hawthorne (saved by America)

Team Christina
India Carney (saved by Twitter)

Team Blake
Meghan Linsey (saved by America)

Well, I’m glad they avoided all pretense and just saved the two obviously safe people first.  Sawyer got both of his songs into the top ten, and Meghan got one of hers there, as well.  No question they had to be the first two saved.  I had a feeling of whom the bottom two would be once Koryn was saved next.  She’d charted decently, but I don’t think it was better than Joshua, who had charted better.  So of course he was next.  Poor song choices put Christina’s girls in the bottom two.

This ending has me torn.  I love India and I want her to make the finale.  But . . . I think Christina's better chance of winning was with Kimberly, and the Twitter voters might've screwed her by saving India.  Ms. Carney, STEP IT UP next week, or Christina might end up as the lame duck in the finale!

On a side note, though, India breaks the "going first" curse, and she joins Kat Perkins as another person who survived despite not going last.

So all but Pharrell have one member left.  Let’s see if he can maintain them into the finale, or if one of them goes.  If one does, it’ll obviously be Koryn.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 3

This ending has me torn.  I love India and I want her to make the finale.  But . . . I think Christina's better chance of winning was with Kimberly, and the Twitter voters might've screwed her by saving India.  Ms. Carney, STEP IT UP next week, or Christina might end up as the lame duck in the finale!

Christina has pretty much no chance of winning now. I have no idea why America didn't save Kim. I guess if Kim couldn't muster the votes now it didn't bode well for her chances overall.

Still, I don't get it, America! I wanted to see Kim in the finale. I feel like she had more up her sleeve. 

• Love 10

Noooooooooo, not Kimberly! I never tweet anything but actually voted when I saw it was 50/50. I think she's ridiculously good and just hated that she was in the bottom 2. I would have preferred her over India.

• Love 7

Kim should have went through! I don't have twitter so I couldn't vote. I really think she had a much better chance then winning then India does. She's boring, well trained but I never get interested in her performances.

• Love 3

Well that's a twist.

On iTunes, Kim was 3rd for playoffs, 2nd for T12, and 3rd for T8. 

I guess she didn't have many loyal voters who went with her regardless of song choices.

• Love 1
(edited)

Poor Christina. I think she is cursed on the show. Even when she has contenders, it still doesn't end well for her. I always knew this would happen. I never thought India could win this. But with Kim, I thought she had a chance, at least when the live knockouts aired. But I was afraid that she had peaked too early and would eventually lose steam. Didn't think she would get knocked out before the semifinals, though. But I guess she just didn't have a that big of a loyal fanbase to carry her through.

Edited by kelnic86
  • Love 4

So disappointed to see Kim go.   I thought her songs last night were her weakest so far, though.  I wish she'd done her twitter save song instead of one of them.

I think Sawyer is going to be hard to beat.

• Love 3

Good God! Could Jacquie (Jackie?) have screeched that song in any higher a register?  I kept expecting the neighborhood dogs to start barking any second!

I cannot believe that Josh and Koryn were saved over Kim.  I wonder who the Kim fanbase will shift over to?

• Love 4

But I was afraid that she had peaked too early and would eventually loose steam. Didn't think she would get knocked out before the semifinals, though.

India was the one who peaked early and then took a dip and plateau. Joshua never peaked (lol), he's as best rolling hills type. Sawyer started on Mt Everest and went on a steady hang gliding trip to the trophy case.

Christina's chance to win just shattered with the plate that just went out the window. Kimberly was unfortunately middle-ground last night; coupled that with her unlucky sing order... it was the perhaps the worst night to be "forgettable". Sigh, why can't there be a Wild Card round this season?!!

• Love 2
(edited)

India was the one who peaked early and then took a dip and plateau. Joshua never peaked (lol), he's as best rolling hills type. Sawyer started on Mt Everest and went on a steady hang gliding trip to the trophy case.

Christina's chance to win just shattered with the plate that just went out the window. Kimberly was unfortunately middle-ground last night; coupled that with her unlucky sing order... it was the perhaps the worst night to be "forgettable". Sigh, why can't there be a Wild Card round this season?!!

I remember hating it last year, but from early on in the lives Matt and Craig were clearly going to be the top 2. But this year I feel like it would have been fair to Kimberly.

Edited by blueray

Man, this season won't let up. I can't believe Kimberly is out. I guess Koryn will be the next one to go.

It's funny how the most predictable season in terms of the winner (I imagine, unless something earth-shattering happens) is so unpredictable week to week, in terms of the eliminations.

Now I guess my favourite is Meghan. Eh. Honestly, all I'm looking forward to is the finale comeback performances; hopefully we'll get to see Hannah again.

• Love 1
(edited)

Overall iTunes rankings in live rounds:

Sawyer 1, 1, 1, 2, 1 (Avg 1.2)

Joshua 2, 4, 8, 2, 3 (Avg 3.8)

Kim 3, 2, 6, 3, 6 (Avg 4)

Meghan 10, 3, 3, 6, 2 (Avg 4.8)

Koryn 8, 5, 1, 7, 4 (Avg 5)

India 9, 9, 5, 5, 5 (Avg 6.6)

Too bad for Kim that she had to falter last night given how consistent she's been previously. And Sawyer's dominance is crazy.

I think TPTB would've liked a female coach win, but would also love Pharrell's first win, esp given how young and seemingly marketable Sawyer is.

Edited by jjjmoss

In my opinion, it didn't help Christina's team last night when after Meghan sang, she said to Blake something like, "Well, it looks like you've got a winner again this year".  Way to show confidence in your team.

• Love 2
(edited)

Christina has pretty much no chance of winning now. I have no idea why America didn't save Kim. I guess if Kim couldn't muster the votes now it didn't bode well for her chances overall.

For most of the commercial break, Kimberly was leading, so I'd say she was mustering them pretty well.  A good number of fans, just like last week, turned it on for India at the last minute.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
(edited)

Poor Christina. I think she is cursed on the show. Even when she has contenders, it still doesn't end well for her. I always knew this would happen. I never thought India could win this. But with Kim, I thought she had a chance, at least when the live knockouts aired. But I was afraid that she had peaked too early and would eventually lose steam. Didn't think she would get knocked out before the semifinals, though. But I guess she just didn't have a that big of a loyal fanbase to carry her through.

I'm partly blaming Blake:)  A couple of weeks back when he said Christina would or could win this thing, I thought oh man shut up, you just jinxed her now! I really thought she had an amazing chance with Kimberly and felt really good about it(and at least get to the finals with her) I actually had Kim or India winning this thing,now it's all shot to hell. Like Donny Ketchum said, "STEP IT UP next week" India!

And no bottom two for a third week in a row girl!  Now I'm not sure India will make it, but I hope I'm wrong.(I am still scratching my head that Joshua made it through)  Maybe someone other than India can do a boring version of a Tom Petty song and that will get them in the bottom two. :)  It worked for Kimberly.  *sniff...aw Kimberly* 

I did love that Kim and India put on happy faces while it was all going on.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

Well...I didn't call that, as I thought Koryn would be going home, and certainly not Kimberly. Although, maybe Kimberly peaked too early, and maybe Middle Christian America didn't like the "crotch grab" on Dirty Diana.

And in the things that make you go "hmmmm"....Koryn is 17, and has a 1 year old "brother".

• Love 2

For most of the commercial break, Kimberly was leading, so I'd say she was mustering them pretty well.  A good number of fans, just like last week, turned it on for India at the last minute.

Winning a minute of the twitter vote is not enough. Plus, India is a long shot to win herself. If Kim can't beat a long shot head to head, she wasn't going to beat 2-3 other artists in the finale.

And in the things that make you go "hmmmm"....Koryn is 17, and has a 1 year old "brother".

One of them is an oopsie.

Wasn't it Blake who said last night that Koryn is 17, and her mother is 19? I know it's a joke, but her mother does look young lol.

Although, maybe Kimberly peaked too early, and maybe Middle Christian America didn't like the "crotch grab" on Dirty Diana.

I thought it might have been technical issues, but could this be the reason why her Dirty Diana performance isn't on Youtube? I didn't think it was that provocative, but I guess some things can be too much for some people.

Not sure what you're suggesting, but my sister's oldest and youngest are 16 years apart. Both her natural children, conceived without medical assistance. It happens.

• Love 10

Nah I don't think it has anything to do with the provocation. After all, the show aired on NBC. The reason it's not on youtube is probably because of copyright issues with certain MJ's songs.

• Love 2

Wow. India beating out Kimberly is an abomination. I'll be following the remainder of the season on PTV to see who wins as I have zero interest in watching anymore.

• Love 2

I’m glad India made it. Since Kimberly also ended up in the bottom, any chance for Christina to win was gone and I’d rather India stick around a little longer since I like her more. Although Christina might have a better chance with just one contestant to vote for, but I still don’t think it’ll happen. Sad, since India and Kimberly both deserved to be in the finale. Joshua or Koryn need to go next.

It’s clear Christina’s going to have to get country contestants and white guys in order to have a shot at winning this show. Why couldn't Pharrell have been the trainwreck that he was last year.

• Love 3

With the exception of Sawyer, the mainstream always win on these singing shows (barring a withdrawal to a return to the sect, I have Sawyer winning this). Being a little left of center doesn't win Middle America, which is why Kimberly is out.

That being said, why did Kimberly save her best song for last? Nothing against "Dirty Diana," but SNA is a song played at sporting events. She literally blew the (Jack) White Stripes version away. Ironically, when Christina had more bite to her critiques, in season 3, she suggested that Melanie Martinez sing "Seven Nation Army," but by that time the Cassadee Train was steamrolling and it was too late. 

Jacquie Lee's screams were muted, but they are still there. And Craig Wayne Boyd is still a sex god. It's too bad his Scott Boschetta run record company dumped him.

(edited)

Borchetta dumped CWB but is planning to release an album of one of the current Idol finalists? How crazy is that?

ETA: Now that I've seen what they've done to him...oh dear God. Maybe if his hair was less blonded and layered and sprayed (like a 1980s Shawn Cassidy) and he wasn't dressed like a 80's country singer Vegas lounge act, complete with the big gold buckle that only Elvis could have-maybe-pulled off, maybe Craig could still have sold that incredibly mediocre song. But no. He still has a nice voice, but they've drained every ounce of natural-ness and charisma out of him. Who are they modeling him after? Why not Blake or even Brad Paisley? Why go back to the 80's (and not even one of the "greats") for your styling inspiration?

Oh, and lip-syncing it?  Oh, CWB. That's just, just, just.....no.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 3

I'm more severely disappointed than I've ever been while watching this show. Maybe. I've forgotten almost every result from every past season except the last one, so maybe some other result once angered me more. But still. My two favorites in the bottom, and then the best person in this competition is out. If India is gone next week, I think I'll have to give up this season. (Actually, I think I can still get behind Meghan. And Koryn won't win, but I don't mind her.  Just....no Sawyer. And the other one whose name escapes me every single week. Joshua!) 

The only consolation I have is that losing out on this show can still end well.  Hell, Clive Davis signed a loser in the knockout rounds (didn't remember him of course, had to look him up, but he was pretty good). If Clive stuck around to see Kimberly's Seven Nation Army, we could be seeing him announce her return to the Voice in a few seasons. Here's hoping. 

• Love 2

Well if I wasn't already in pain, I'd be in pain by now. Conservative America has spoken and thus Kimberly is out. It didn't matter who survived on Christina's team because no one is taking down Mt. Sawyer. With the iTunes votes being cumulative, how can he lose?

Although Kimberly had a lot of people trying to save her; Christina and Pharrell's more favorable pleas directed toward Kim, all the contestants but Josh tweeting to save Kim, Adam's consolation speech to India, could not outnumber the votes against Kim by fans of other contestants that feared she may be a threat to their fave, Kimberly incorrectly tweeting #saveKimberlyNichole, and the conservative viewers that voiced their disdain after last night's performance of Dirty Diana and the crotch grab.

I'm fortunate that I still like four of the remaining five contestants, but will miss the left of center performance style of Kimberly and the non-pageanty choice of songs she would choose. Vanilla will always prevail sigh.

• Love 2

I didn't think CWB was styled that differently from when he was on the show, actually. I always thought his look was horribly out-dated, like a cross between Randy Owens and the one Florida Georgia Line guy. But I'll admit to being perhaps irrationally annoyed by oversized man jewelry on people not named Gary Allan.

And I see he's still doing the "raise my hand in the air and sing to it" thing, interspersed with the pointy fingers. Gah!

That stinks about him already being cut from his label, though. I wasn't a fan obviously, but he seemed like a good guy.

• Love 3

So, I really liked Kimberly, however, despite r her performance, I frankly just don't think dirty Diana is that great a song. I wanted to root for her but last night I didn't think she was not boring. Although frankly I thought they were all pretty boring. I'm the farthest thing from conservative and I don't think dirtY Diana was a factor due to being provocative so much as due to being not terribly popular to most people. It's not a very good song and not really a fan of mj. Honestly I was puzzled last night when I saw all the posts about how that was best thing since sliced bread since my reaction was pretty much yawn.

• Love 4

I thought CWB's hair was -much- blonder, shorter, more feathery/layered and very, very immobilized with what looked to me like tons of hairspray but could have been something else. I agree that it was a very, very dated look, including his clothing and I have no idea why anyone, including Craig, would do that when he can look around (see Shelton, Blake) and realize you really don't have to look like that now.

ITA, ljp, about Kimberley and that she was done in by choosing an unfamiliar song, not by any gesture (which I didn't even notice) or resulting opposition from conservative voters. She might still be there if she'd picked a more mainstream-popular song.  Then again, if you're not going to win anyway (and if your name isn't Sawyer Fredericks, .. probably not) you might as well go out making a recording of something that is meaningful to you. I was hoping it would be Koryn or India instead, but I think one or both (can't remember the rules) will be leaving next week.

My DVR cutoff right before they announced who was out so I came here to find the result.  I usually enjoyed Kim's performances.  Unfortunately I didn't particularly care for her version of Free Falling.  I have never liked Dirty Diana so whether it was her version or MJ's, it's a miss for me.  I did go to the website to vote for her - something I don't normally do, but there was no way I was wasting money to download either of those songs.  

• Love 1

I didn't know CWB had gotten dropped too bad. But after seeing the head honcho on AI , he seems like he would be hard to deal with " my way or he highway" . Doesn't Blake have his own label ..couldn't he pick he up?

Watched the twitter-save performances and preferred India's performance.  Kind of bummed that Kimberly even landed in the bottom 2 to begin with. She was my favorite of this lackluster bunch, and I thought her performances Monday night were well-executed.  

I don't know about this talk about conservative America.  But the last time my favorites exited early were Amanda Brown in season 3 (Top 6 week) and Judith Hill in season 4 (Top 8 week).  I thought both did a really good job in their final performances but America obviously preferred others over them.  Actually, I was okay with Season 3.  So much good talent all around.  Season 4 was a major surprise that had me pissed off at the time, but then again, I'm not a fan of country music.  

Ironically, when Christina had more bite to her critiques, in season 3, she suggested that Melanie Martinez sing "Seven Nation Army," but by that time the Cassadee Train was steamrolling and it was too late. 

This is incorrect.  Melanie chose "Seven Nation Army" on her own during Top 10 week.  Adam discussed how he was against the idea but Melanie convinced him by showing him how she was going to perform it (singing the instrumental portion).  I think you may be confusing this with Christina's comments during Top 6 week when she was making song suggestions for Melanie.  

• Love 1

Kim should have went through! I don't have twitter so I couldn't vote. I really think she had a much better chance then winning then India does. She's boring, well trained but I never get interested in her performances.

I can't find it now, but I thought I read that you could vote using the Voice App during the Twitter Save.  Can someone verify that?

My middle son's diving practice was rescheduled last night so I had him checking twitter the whole way home to see who was being saved so I could figure out if I needed/wanted to vote. Between India & Kimberly in the bottom two I didn't have enough of a preference to vote.  I'm not really into the Diva/Belters style of singing.  Megan, Kimberly, India & Koryn all fall into that category for me so I was happy to see one of them eliminated.  Although I do like Koryn best of the 4 so I probably would have twitter voted for her.

Bummed about Kimberly. There is no one left to vote/root for. The rest are just too dull. Same with Idol (which this season had three interesting contestants-shock! Who are now all gone.)

I had no idea Craig Wayne Boyd had been dropped after his coronation song. That's just wrong. And foolish. Did a little googling on it. Perhaps his label head would have liked him better if he started wearing jackets with writing on one sleeve too.

So, I really liked Kimberly, however, despite r her performance, I frankly just don't think dirty Diana is that great a song. I wanted to root for her but last night I didn't think she was not boring. Although frankly I thought they were all pretty boring. I'm the farthest thing from conservative and I don't think dirtY Diana was a factor due to being provocative so much as due to being not terribly popular to most people. It's not a very good song and not really a fan of mj. Honestly I was puzzled last night when I saw all the posts about how that was best thing since sliced bread since my reaction was pretty much yawn.

Same here. I really liked Kimberly but I despise the song Dirty Diana, no matter who is singing it. I was surprised it was so well received here. IMO, Kimberly had a bad night of song choices and that's all it takes at this stage in the game to send you home. I am not sure if the finale is even worth watching if the iTunes bit is cumulative...Sawyer is an obvious lock so really we are just watching to see who will come in second.

• Love 1

Sad about Kim. I'm not really invested in the show after Hannah left but Kim belongs in the finale. I was horrified when in the rehearsals Xtina was advising Kim to add runs in Free Fallin'. I often agreed with Blake when he said before that sometimes holding a note is more impactful than adding runs. It doesn't matter in the end because Sawyer is definitely winning this season.

• Love 2

This is incorrect.  Melanie chose "Seven Nation Army" on her own during Top 10 week.  Adam discussed how he was against the idea but Melanie convinced him by showing him how she was going to perform it (singing the instrumental portion).  I think you may be confusing this with Christina's comments during Top 6 week when she was making song suggestions for Melanie.  

This is why I love super fans. I didn't see that episode, so I apologize.

Regarding the Voice alumni performances, I thought Avery Wilson was the standout.  Man, it makes me lament the talent this show used to draw.  Mostly pros plus a few truly outstanding youngsters.  Season 3 was by far my favorite season.  Avery screwed up his knockout by focusing on dancing more than singing, but he had so much potential.  And that season's top 10 were all so good and diverse enough that I was thoroughly entertained week in week out. 

Enjoyed Jacquie's performance as well.  I thought she did a credible job with a song that was perhaps a little too wordy for the audience to get into.  Makes me miss season 5 a bit. It was the last season I truly enjoyed although the song choices toward the end bummed me out. But another season with mostly pros and a few outstanding youngsters. 

Kimberly, Meghan, and Joshua are the pros this season, but they don't rank anywhere near my favorites from the earlier seasons.  I think this show has changed quite a bit.  It has become more of a machine with less risk-taking.  And the talent consists of more amateurs and lower-quality pros.

Sawyer is running away with the competition this season but it seems like even his fans acknowledge problems with some of his performances. What does this say about the show?  Sawyer is basically a less developed version of Joshua.  Nice "unique" tone and an appealing package (age, backstory, etc), but he's rather one-note and is severely lacking in stage presence. I guess I don't really get it.  I do think back to Danielle Bradbery in season 4, but she at least sounded really good and radio-ready to me. The song choices (and maybe the genre?) suited her voice really well.  For Sawyer, even when I try to just listen to him (and not watch), I don't find his performances credible.  He is missing that grit and texture that probably only comes with age and experience. He has a bit of a way to go, in my opinion. But here he is, absolutely crushing the competition.  Perhaps a reflection of how weak his competitors are?

This is why I love super fans. I didn't see that episode, so I apologize.

No problem. Melanie Martinez was one of my favorites in season 3 so I remember it well.  Plus there's wikipedia to help me double-check my memory.  

I thought Kimberly would be saved over India so it was a shame to see her go. India has a good voice, but so does Kimberly and I think she's had better performances. I definitely thought she would be in the finale and was Christina's biggest chance of winning.

I'm happy that Pharrell's team is still intact though as I like Sawyer and Koryn.

I liked Jacquie Lee back in Season 5 and thought she should've won, but her voice was very screechy last night.