Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Episode 5

• Start Topic

A Christian Scientist couple refuse medicine for their newborn baby, leaving Sister Julienne questioning the nature of absolute faith. However, the case becomes more complicated when the parents are accused of harming their child. Barbara uses her initiative to communicate with a pregnant Sylheti woman who cannot speak English, although using the patient's young son to translate provides new problems. Sister Mary Cynthia returns to Nonnatus House and a woman catches handyman Fred's eye.

Very good episode. I liked how the various communities  of Poplar were involved in the storylines. And that little Sylheti boy was adorable.

I fairly quickly figured out what was the matter with the newborn. Of course, unlike Dr. Turner, I have had the advantage of watching decades of medical shows on television :)

• Love 8

Somehow I watched this one before seeing the last, so I was completely confused about the broken engagement.

I still enjoy the show for the midwifery, but I'm not enjoying the "lesson of the week" aspect so much. I actually thought the storyline with the sick baby was going to be more about the couple's refusal to provide medical treatment (and they didn't even address that again, once they knew what was wrong with him. The child would need to be on some form of pain medication his whole life, no?). They made it more about "faith" which...well, I have zero interest in.

As for the midwifery, there just isn't enough of it this season so far. And I may be in the minority here, but I find that actor who plays Dr. Turner to be playing to the back row so often that it's distracting. Most of the other performances are so understated (ok, with the exception of Freddy, but the jaunty music always warns us when that's coming up)

I guess I'll go back and watch Ep 4 now!

• Love 1

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere? We should never be discouraged. Take it to the Lord in prayer. (That's if you're a Christian Scientist, like this week's embattled Mom, Mrs. Prendergast. Everyone else: try conventional medicine?)

Read the story

• Love 1

Can I just say I loved the shot of Shelagh looking in the mirror as she put on the nurses uniform? A lovely call back to season 1, when she wistfully let her hair down and looked so sad. Now she just looks joyous. Same music too!

• Love 9

That was AMAZING. Especially compared with how limp the episodes have been so far this season. Mr. stopeslite actually gave it a go and watched the first few, but then gave up right before this one. :( Dr. Turner did some marvelous acting, and how great that Shelagh got into a nurse's uniform. (and seriously, those people didn't remember that she was a nurse until A YEAR AGO?) Loved that look on Dr. Turner's face when he said called her nurse and she turned around and he realized who it was - it was like he suddenly realized what one of his fantasies was that he'd never thought of before.

I think I liked it so much because it focused on characters we haven't seen so much of, and because it wasn't 100% focused on babies, and there was no lesson. Did we see Christian Science ground into the dirt? No. Did we see faith save everything? No. Just people, bumbling around, doing their best and screwing up sometimes. And the mom was lovely - I wanted them to ask her to stay for dinner when she dropped off the samosas.

Think Fred is trying to get a date with the button saleslady? ;)

• Love 9

I actually thought the storyline with the sick baby was going to be more about the couple's refusal to provide medical treatment (and they didn't even address that again, once they knew what was wrong with him. The child would need to be on some form of pain medication his whole life, no?). They made it more about "faith" which...well, I have zero interest in.

That was a huge letdown in a series that can say volumes in one sentence.  So no excuses about it centering on Dr. Turner today. I loved the line in the recap about SJ gritting her teeth about the prayer thing but how brilliant to say ok, you pray and I'll give the baby his meds.  The dad needs a kick in the ass.  Well, he got beaten up but I wish he'd known why he really deserved it.  And I wish Dr. Turner was well enough to say it was a good thing to remove the baby temporarily and give him his meds and it led us to discover his fractures were not your fault. 

I'm sorry to see Trixie drinking again but in real life it's hard to just quit like that.  I see her alcoholism as an understandable progression from trying to entertain her father as a child to entertaining her coworkers with alcohol.  I'm glad Tom is gone, I couldn't pick him out of a lineup he was so bland.

The habit doesn't work for Cynthia's face, does it. 

• Love 1

The habit doesn't work for Cynthia's face, does it.

But it makes her have giant  boobs!  Honestly I was shocked when they first showed her, she used to have such a boyish figure before and now she has a miracle wonder bra, I want one!!!

I take the scenes where she reunited with Trixie and met the new nurses were cut.  No scene with Trixie who was her close friend, except Trixie walking away from her room. That was bad!!

Tom was looking extra handsome in tonight's episode, if I was Trixie I don't know what I would do.

• Love 2

But it makes her have giant  boobs!  Honestly I was shocked when they first showed her, she used to have such a boyish figure before and now

she has a miracle wonder bra, I want one!!!

Ms. Hannah (can't remember her name) had a baby during the break. That might account for the boobs.

• Love 2

I fairly quickly figured out what was the matter with the newborn. Of course, unlike Dr. Turner, I have had the advantage of watching decades of medical shows on television :)

Me, too! I was "osteogenesis imperfecta!" when the poor little baby had another fracture. The Sylheti are from Bangladesh. I figured out that they were Muslim but had to research where they were from.

Where are people watching that scenes are being cut?

• Love 1

I loved this episode. For me, it's episodes like this that are what this show is about. The regular characters were the focus, and the stories of the week were used to help further tell the stories of the regulars, as well as showcasing the guest actors but not to detract from the main cast. Also, the show has always had a sort of "issue" or "lesson" every week, but what kept it from being a "lesson of the week" show, in my opinion, is that the stories were more about the people than the issues. This episode also brought back Sister Mary Cynthia (I think she looks fine as a nun, btw) and a brief appearance from Sister Evangelina, and Barbara also had a great role to play. Barbara has quickly become one of my favorite characters. 

The stars of this episode for me, though, were the Turners. I loved Shelagh's putting on the nurse's uniform. I saw it as a "destiny" moment, recognizing the skills she already has and how she finally gets to use them again in an official capacity.  I also think Laura Main (Shelagh) and Stephen McGann (Dr. Turner) are wonderful actors and it was great to see an episode focusing on them for a change. I love their relationship this series. Their whole family is great (with some fine acting from Max Macmillan as Timothy, too), and so supportive of each other.  

I also liked how the first episode with Cynthia back as a nun is the first episode where Shelagh is wearing a nurse's uniform. They've switched uniforms, basically.  

It was great to see that Sister Julienne had a bigger role this episode, as well. Aside from episode 2, I think she's been underutilized for much of this season so far.

I feel bad for Trixie, but I still hope she and Tom don't get back together. 

• Love 5

Can I just say I loved the shot of Shelagh looking in the mirror as she put on the nurses uniform? A lovely call back to season 1, when she wistfully let her hair down and looked so sad. Now she just looks joyous. Same music too!

I love that, too. That's actually been done a few times over the years. There was another mirror scene in the 2013 Christmas special, and one in series 2 when she was getting ready to leave the sanatorium and put on her regular clothes for the first time (although that one had the nuns singing over it). That music is called "In the Mirror (Shelagh's Theme)". They tend to play it over important moments in her story arc. 

I want to say how much I love the original music in this show, composed by Peter Salem. There are several recurring themes that have been used since season 1, as well as some new ones for season 4, and the music adds a lot to the atmosphere of the show.

• Love 2

I actually thought the storyline with the sick baby was going to be more about the couple's refusal to provide medical treatment 

Me too, the fact that they were Christian Scientists was almost irrelevant. I thought it was a good episode, I never understood why Shelagh didn't work in some kind of medical clothes since she was a trained nurse. 

• Love 2

My family doctor's receptionist was also a nurse.  She did nursing duty as needed and wore a classic white nurse's uniform -- what ever happened to them? Scrubs just aren't the same.

When Timothy lay the little actress who plays his sister, down on the bed next to "Dr. Turner,"  she looked startled for just a second and then looked toward Timothy and calmed down.  He must have done something to reassure her.  Then I remembered that he was holding her last week, too.  That sweet little toddler clearly loves that little boy.  I get the feeling that set is very gentle and child friendly.

• Love 6

After reading the recap, I've discovered that I didn't see the awkward Trixie/Cynthia reunion on the stairs (which I was looking forward to) or Faruq (super adorable) delivering samosas. Boo you, WETA.

I really like Barbara, even though when she first showed up, if she were far enough away from the camera, I kept thinking Jenny returned.

I miss Chummy!

• Love 4

I'm just confused why they sent the infant back with the parents.  While they didn't cause his injuries, if they are not going to provide him medication, then he's still being neglected, right?  How could they leave a child with a medical condition in a home where the parents refuse to treat him?  

• Love 1

After reading the recap, I've discovered that I didn't see the awkward Trixie/Cynthia reunion on the stairs (which I was looking forward to) or Faruq (super adorable) delivering samosas. Boo you, WETA.

I watched the ep on PBS's website this morning, and those scenes weren't in the online version, either.

While they didn't cause his injuries, if they are not going to provide him medication, then he's still being neglected, right?

There is no treatment for OI so there is nothing neglectful.  And the parents' religious convictions are not grounds for removing the baby from their care.  Can't be done today, either.

• Love 2

I'm just confused why they sent the infant back with the parents.  While they didn't cause his injuries, if they are not going to provide him medication, then he's still being neglected, right?  How could they leave a child with a medical condition in a home where the parents refuse to treat him?  

That's what I was trying to get at earlier.  SJulienne did tell the mother about the prognosis and the need for a wheelchair and mother's response was that jesus made the cripped walk or some such nonsense.  In fact she was busy praying with that other suited creepy guy when SJ arrived and the house was in disarray.  When SJ met with Dr T their anguish was primarily over the suffering the baby endured.  Perhaps they expect the National Health Service to step in since we're hearing more about its influence on the show. 

On another note, I'm enjoying seeing public housing portrayed in a positive, hopeful way when they were first available.  So clean and sunny and people seemed happy to be there compared to whatever was left after the war and we've seen some families couldn't get housing at all.  They're really capturing early 60's optimism including welcoming new cultures to the community.  So I don't find it overly preachy because lots of changes were happening. In fact, I see the show contrasting the strides made then to the program cuts and intolerance we hear about daily. But mostly I watch it for the great acting and writing and style.

I think the relationship is over with Trixie and what's his name.  There was a cute shot of his face and I thought, oh that's what he looks like.  She met with him after she heard Farouk say his mother would follow his father anywhere, even the moon.  Realizing she wouldn't even follow him to Newcastle her decision was for the best. 

I also liked how the first episode with Cynthia back as a nun is the first episode where Shelagh is wearing a nurse's uniform. They've switched uniforms, basically.

Thanks for that. It amuses me that MC's headpiece is about the length of her bob. 

I'm LOVING the recaps.

• Love 1

Well, when the baby had a broken shoulder, the nurse insisted the mother give him meds for pain.  Later, when the baby had additional fractures in his leg and then back, I would think would cause more pain and he would certainly need pain meds at that point.  But, all we see is a religious leader hanging around to pray for the child.  I found that poor writing for not addressing it.  It seems to be it might have been better to have left the part out about them being Christian Scientists if they weren't going to do anything with it.  I mean, all that pompous indignation by the dad, yet they have no issue letting the child lay in pain?????  There isn't that much difference, IMO, in their culpability if they refuse to treat the child's pain issue from multiple broken bones.  

Not to debate this, but children are removed from parents who refuse to provide medical care in this country today.  I don't know about England.  The parent has a right to their faith, but it can't be used as a shield to neglect a child and not provide medical treatment.  You can abstain from vaccines, but not things like cancer treatment or life saving blood transfusions. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

I watched the ep on PBS's website this morning, and those scenes weren't in the online version, either.

Gosh I'm sorry.  At least I know now we're getting the unedited version.  The scene with Cynthia and Trixie was brief.  Cynthia had just arrived and was walking up the stairs and Trixie stopped at the bottom and just looked a little stunned.  Later, when she walked in on Cynthia, or S MC, praying I think she felt a little in awe.  After all she was engaged to a curate and I wonder if she isn't considering that could have been a choice for her as well to deal with her past and avoid the alcoholism.

Farouk delivered the samosas with his equally adorable mother.  The house was having dinner and they didn't know what they were but were eager to try and passed them around showing to me how accepting they are of different cultures.  I wonder if it was cut because all the scenes with Farouk happily playing with the local kids and going to school gave pretty much the same message but it's sad they did it. BTW I loved how Ameera's table had lots jars of spices.  The show pays attention to detail.

I might write to my PBS affiliate and thank them.

• Love 2

Well, when the baby had a broken shoulder, the nurse insisted the mother give him meds for pain.  Later, when the baby had additional fractures in his leg and then back, I would think would cause more pain and he would certainly need pain meds at that point.  But, all we see is a religious leader hanging around to pray for the child.  I found that poor writing for not addressing it.  It seems to be it might have been better to have left the part out about them being Christian Scientists if they weren't going to do anything with it.  I mean, all that pompous indignation by the dad, yet they have no issue letting the child lay in pain?????  There isn't that much difference, IMO, in their culpability if they refuse to treat the child's pain issue from multiple broken bones. 

Yeah, this really bothered me.  They left it so it seemed as though that baby was not going to be getting pain meds during its lifetime with those parents, which infuriated me.  How is that baby better off with people who just try to pray the pain away and hope that Jesus will make him walk?   That seems little better than the parents abusing the child to cause the broken bones.

• Love 1

Yeah, this really bothered me.  They left it so it seemed as though that baby was not going to be getting pain meds during its lifetime with those parents, which infuriated me.  How is that baby better off with people who just try to pray the pain away and hope that Jesus will make him walk?   That seems little better than the parents abusing the child to cause the broken bones.

Perhaps since the parents weren't actively abusing him, the Child Protective services people couldn't do anything else?  Personally I would consider not giving the child pain medications to be abuse, but it's possible that the law in Britain at the time did not.

• Love 1

I find that actor who plays Dr. Turner to be playing to the back row so often that it's distracting.

Me too. In fact his scenes with his wife are always so stilted and unnatural. There's something off about the acting.

I want to say how much I love the original music in this show, composed by Peter Salem.

I love the lilting opening music. It manages to evoke a time gone by.

In the little post-show presentation they mentioned the photographs in the weekly opening montage. I've always wondered if they were original to the time period and it appears they are.

Nurse Jenny has popped up in Wolf Hall. She plays nasty Lady Rochford (whom I believe was beheaded).

Fred's got game!

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 1

I couldn't disagree more about the Turners. I think they're two of the best actors on the show, and I love their scenes together. There was a little bit of stiltedness in season 3 that I think was deliberate because they had some issues to work out in their marriage, but they worked that out in the season finale, and this season they've been absolutely wonderful in all their scenes together. It's my favorite TV marriage right now.  

Edited by Beldasnoop
  • Love 10

I feel like they crammed three potential storylines into one muddled case:  the OI, Turner's exhaustion and the Christian Science parents. I don't feel like any of those storylines was given appropriate room to breathe.

Also, is Trixie's hair getting blonder as she sinks further into depression? At this rate, she'll look like Storm from the X-Men by the end of the season.

• Love 1

I too think the opening music is so lovely.  I did like this week's show.  I would like to see the Sylheti lady as a regular.  It was touching when she came and brought the pastries she made and said how she enjoyed the company of the women.

• Love 2

Nurse Jenny has popped up in Wolf Hall. She plays nasty Lady Rochford (whom I believe was beheaded).

Jessica Raine left this show to try Hollywood, if she's popping up on other British shows, it doesn't sound like it worked out.

When the mother allowed Sister Julienne to give the baby pain medicine, clearly a cheat against their religion's principles, I took that to mean the parents were giving in.  Because of that weakening, I just assumed that by the time the parents had been through the ordeal of having their baby taken from them and then returned to them with a dire diagnosis, quibbles about medication had gone out the window.  At least that's how I resolved it in my head, the thought of an infant in such pain was almost too much for me.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 5

She's also in another UK series called "Fortified."  BTW, she is very good and very unJenny like in "Wolf Hall."

That would be 'Fortitude' (which is a very creepy and good thriller). I feel as though she's much the same in every role I've seen her in, so far.

always good to come here and find out which scenes I missed! I know PBS and BBC are saying only minor scenes are being cut, but what's minor in this show? The samosas are NOT superfluous to the situation! Bring back the samosas!

• Love 5

My allergies were acting up while I watched that scene, TheAnglican. And that Timothy had maintained a notebook for him outlining all the offerings! I'm getting the sniffles again.

• Love 2
In the little post-show presentation they mentioned the photographs in the weekly opening montage. I've always wondered if they were original to the time period and it appears they are.

I am way behind on this show and just watched this episode. I didn't get to see this little behind-the-scenes thing, though. Is it the one here about hair and makeup? She mentions Roger Mayne photos as inspiration, but I'm not sure the ones in the opening credits are his. The last boy in the pram is not from an old photo, I don't think, as I seem to recall seeing video of that moment play out in the show. At any rate, the Roger Mayne image search led me to some great photos!

The dad needs a kick in the ass.  Well, he got beaten up but I wish he'd known why he really deserved it.

I thought the wife implied that he was a brawler years ago but when they converted to their religion, he had stopped, and now he was out fighting again.  As opposed to getting beaten up for hurting the baby - I thought he was picking fights.  

I thought baby Raymond was the cutest little actor they've ever had on the show.

My grandparents were believers in Christian Science until my aunt at age seven fell off of her bike and suffered a compound fracture to her arm.  My grandmother said it was an instant conversion for her.

• Love 2