Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E06: Week 6: Spring Break

• Start Topic

The sad thing is that I actually like Rumer as a dancer but I feel that the powers-that-be are making it less about her and more about Val.  

I disagree. There's barely been any mention on the show of it being Val's time since Week 1, despite people harping about that one comment every week online. Rumer has been up and down, and definitely not a stand-out. If you want to see what "Making it all about the pro" looks like, please review season 18 for Maks's weekly therapy sessions, with a side of Meryl.

• Love 6

This week's show was a letdown after last week's, when I enjoyed almost everything. Nothing really stood out. The bottom tier people all showed improvement, so there was no egregious train wreck to pick apart, and no one in the top tier did much to wow me. The most memorable thing was Miss Patti losing her shoe.

Mark said in his Afterbuzz session that he never lets his partners listen or watch the package before they dance if they've had a tough week because it will affect their mindset going into the dance.

I remember them showing Mark holding his hands over Katherine Jenkins' ears and them both la-la-la-ing during her package about her dead father. I can't imagine dancing after seeing something so emotional.

Also for all the stuff about how Val has never won, it's been longer since Mark has won.  The last time Mark saw a trophy was long before Val even joined the show.  Val hasn't been on the show that long.  It's not like Maks or Tony situation.

I agree with this in theory, but that's not the narrative the show is pushing. Mark isn't being set up as the "new leading man" of DWTS. He's not talking about how he needs to win again, how it's his time. And the show isn't doing anything of the sort for him either. Having his two wins, no matter how long ago, also takes pressure off in that regard IMO. But it's happening for Val, that's the story they are creating for him. They do seem to imply that he's "overdue" and that with Rumer it's "his season". And Rumer is supremely capable, so it should be doable (yes, I know, other factors come into it as well...). Willow, for all her talent and potential...her youth just comes with severe constraints and while he's been doing excellent with her, you see the work-around in about every dance. I think the minute they told Mark he got the 14 year old he knew that he wasn't winning anything this season (or that it was highly, highly unlikely), which isn't a bad thing since I think in some ways it's allowed him to relax and just enjoy teaching Willow and creating for her without anybody expecting a win like they do with Nastia and Rumer. OTOH the narrative with Val and Rumer is that they are a super couple and should be able to win it all, and perhaps Val does feel the pressure of those expectations?

Edited by katha
  • Love 4

I was annoyed that Allison nixed their original song at first, because Riker's not 13 (and not LDS) and the show wouldn't have used any explicit lyrics.  Then I read the lyrics and I kind of get it.  I think a tiny, tiny fraction of viewers would've known those lyrics but if it's offensive to her, I can sort of understand.  I wonder if they're given the actual Missy Elliot track for rehearsal purposes, for example.  

I was annoyed that Allison nixed their original song at first, because Riker's not 13 (and not LDS) and the show wouldn't have used any explicit lyrics.  Then I read the lyrics and I kind of get it.  I think a tiny, tiny fraction of viewers would've known those lyrics but if it's offensive to her, I can sort of understand.  I wonder if they're given the actual Missy Elliot track for rehearsal purposes, for example.  

Riker is 23 so it's not inappropriate for him in any way.  But Allison might also have been conscious of the fact that Riker is catering to a very young Disney fanbase, so felt it was inappropriate for the image he puts out there to his fans?  No idea.

• Love 1

Oh, please. This is "Val's season". It's "Val's time". They said it day damn one. Even the media has gotten the memo and continued to run with it. It's all about Val. I'll be shocked if someone else wins. I would love it, but I would be shocked.

It annoys me in general that they push the male pros like this, but almost treat the female pros as chopped liver. Like they don't deserve to be "pimped" like the male pros. They work their asses off too, and aren't coddled the way some male pros are.

• Love 10

With Julianne as a fulltime judge, if Derek and Nastia win there will always be the perception that it was fixed no matter how deserving they might be. So yes I agree this will be Val's year unless a third couple ramps it up vote wise. I heard Riker throw out the cousin word before the group dances, but I don't think it will be him.

I knew Chris was not going home when I heard the first Bachelorette promo would be airing--bad form to send the Bachelor home the same night ABC is trying to sell the sequel.

I thought it was sweet and gentlemanly that Noah felt bad about the "incident" package because he didn't want Sharna portrayed in a bad light. He again made Mr MML shed a tear with his regret about it, but then Mr MML likes to be beklempt every so often.

What was that little conversation between Tom and Melissa re hosting about? I know she was there partly because of the whole Bach/bachelorette connection and as a previous winner, but I thought it was odd and then Erin goes all stupid with Robert about Kim ("Tell us one thing you love about this woman." Seriously, Erin?). I won't be upset if Melissa (or Leah Remini, please) step into Erin's shoes next season.

I think of Robert as Woz's better looking co-techy. Love them both.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 1

Robert's timing is a bit off, but he made every step.  Patti and Noah don't even have to step.  Let's give better scores to the ones who do not move.  What rot.  It does appear that Robert has almost no sense of rhythm, though.   

This was also an all-time unfair advantage in music for the team dances.  What can be easier and more forgiving then "Wipeout?"   At least there was an exact tie in points.

Yeah Noah's "dance" was his best so far I think but I still can't stand that he's getting 8s for being "a great guy," which is what comprised Len's critique.

Also agree about the Team Dance songs. Derek literally phoned it in and their work was helped tremendously with such a danceable song. The second I heard that mess Iggy was "rapping" I couldn't focus on the dancing as much because of the foul taste in my mouth. 

I was impressed with Chris for putting in the work and earnestly giving his best showing so far. It's tough for a complete beginner. Although, his fiance's vacuous face constantly being shown grates.

I loved classic, cranky, truth-telling Len as he brought Derek down to earth for his tango. I cackled when he told the crowd, "Oh shut up." And when he told that other Hough family member that he dances like how he cooks: "throws everything in and hopes for the best!"

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2

I'm not even rooting for Nastia to win this season, but she just can't win. She shows a sunny personality last week and it's fake. She tries to be tango-y this week and there's no connection again. She clearly didn't know, based on their first meeting package, that she was going to be paired with Derek when she signed up. She got stuck with Derek's schedule, which can't help her experience, and seems to be trying to make the best of it.

That specific package was very very scripted, as it was filmed after Derek and Nastia's announcement on GMA. According to Derek's timeline Nastia signed on with 2 or 3 days to go to the GMA announcement, and since she had the stipulation that she needed to be in New York for the length of the show I'd be shocked if she didn't know she was getting Derek before she signed on. Now what she might not have known was how that would actually play out to impact her experience. 

• Love 1

When Patti lost her shoe, was she trying to kick both off and only the one went? I thought I heard her say something about it being "stuck" but maybe her costume got stuck in her shoe and she was trying to shake it loose or something. Either way, I was impressed how she only missed a step or two, then went on beautifully with the rest of the dance. 

• Love 1
With Julianne as a fulltime judge, if Derek and Nastia win there will always be the perception that it was fixed no matter how deserving they might be.

YMMV but the only people who will believe this are the ones who have biased goggles on with regards to anything Derek related and so would likely deem their win unfair whether Julianne was on the panel or not.  Again, Julianne is one judge. So her scores only count for 1/4 of the judges' total score. Added to that, judges' scores alone has never been the thing that determines the winner on DWTS. If Nastia wins it will be because she's really good and at the end of the day had a bigger voting base than Rumer and others. 

• Love 4

What was that little conversation between Tom and Melissa re hosting about? I know she was there partly because of the whole Bach/bachelorette connection and as a previous winner, but I thought it was odd and then Erin goes all stupid with Robert about Kim ("Tell us one thing you love about this woman." Seriously, Erin?). I won't be upset if Melissa (or Leah Remini, please) step into Erin's shoes next season.

Melissa is hosting & dancing on the Perfect 10 tour this summer.

That specific package was very very scripted, as it was filmed after Derek and Nastia's announcement on GMA.

All right then. I knew this was highly produced, but I'll admin to being fooled by that. I don't feel as bad for her now because if they told her she'd have Derek (and his schedule), they would have also told her about her other practice partner and accommodations.

Melissa is hosting & dancing on the Perfect 10 tour this summer.

Ah, thank you! I missed that and was confused, not unusual for me, trying to read something into it.

YMMV but the only people who will believe this are the ones who have biased goggles on with regards to anything Derek related and so would likely deem their win unfair whether Julianne was on the panel or not.  Again, Julianne is one judge. So her scores only count for 1/4 of the judges' total score. Added to that, judges' scores alone has never been the thing that determines the winner on DWTS. If Nastia wins it will be because she's really good and at the end of the day had a bigger voting base than Rumer and others.

I get all that but the perception will still be there, so it is a good time for Derek to not win for whatever reason.

I'm pretty sure Patti purposely kicked her shoe off. If you watch again, she shuffles her feet a bit to loosen the heel off of her left foot, and then kicked. She's known for kicking off her shoes in concert, too. Someone had tweeted a question to her asking if she would kick off her shoes this week, and she had replied that she couldn't because their shoes had an ankle strap on them. I guess she changed her mind!

I was wondering if she was trying to kick both shoes off and after the dance it sounded like she said the other shoe wouldn't come off, but it was hard to tell because everyone was talking over each other. In any case, I love Patti, LOVE her, but honestly I'm so glad I don't have to see her do that hoedown thing or whatever it is she's doing in every other dance.

Noah thought that their package made Sharna look bad? In what world? I know that Chris is probably the weaker dancer, but now I'm straight up done with Noah.

That was bizarre because I was thinking he was overreacting to her being in charge and that she handled him really well. If he thought she looked bad in that clip, then I guess he thinks she was in the wrong all along, which is sort of off-putting.

Bruno looked genuinely abashed when he realized that he'd just told a 14-year-old she was hot. He does tend toward the creepy and in the past I've taken issue with a lot of the things he's said to the women, both pros and celebrities, but I think that he simply forgot how old Willow is. Which doesn't make it okay, exactly, but it's not as bad as if he was intentionally perving out over a child. I hope what it does is make him more circumspect in the future about this type of comment to all the women. And FWIW, I don't like the "you're so hot, you're so sexy" comments coming from Erin either. She needs to tone it down maybe even more than Bruno does.

Speaking of creepy, I might be the only one, but Robert gives me the shivers. The tank tops, the little tight t-shirts, the close-talking. I've seen him on Shark Tank and he doesn't bother me there, but I'll be glad when he's eliminated from this show.

I couldn't judge how good or bad YOLO's dance was because the sound and video were out of sync. I don't know if this was everywhere or just locally, but it started when they were announcing results before the team competition. The video was ahead of the audio, so the camera would be focused on the couple, you'd see their reaction, then about 5 seconds later, you'd hear Tom or Erin say "safe" or "in jeopardy." So when YOLO was dancing the music lagged behind the dance for about the first third, but then during the dance it synced up again. I think it happened while Derek and Nastia were doing their solo; it was pretty seamless but it looked to me like they repeated a part of the video because it appeared as if Nadia did two walkovers one right after the other and I don't think there was room on that tiny stage. I could watch it now online but ... eh, don't care that much.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 3

I liked the team dances better than the individual dances last night. Both were very good so I thought the tie was fair. However, I did like Team Trouble the best.

Rumer and Val's jazz to "Bootylicious" was probably their weakest dance so far, but I wouldn't have given it a 7 like Julianne did. At most, an 8.

Riker and Allison's samba was good, but I found it to be too frantic at times like their paso last week.

What was up with Erin demanding that Robert and Kym kiss on the lips? Maybe it was a producer speaking into her ear to say that, but it was weird nonetheless.

• Love 1

Val is getting alot of flack for his choreography and it certainly wasn't their best dance by far. But to be fair, Val signed on as a ballroom dancer and I hate the fact that these ballroom experts have to waste their time choreographing jazz , contemporary, Bollywood ....... dances outside of their expertise! I really miss the old DWTS . :(

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Love 10

While I hate the many new dance styles added to the show (especially because in my opinion, if I wanted that, I'd just watch So You Think You Can Dance), to be fair, every Pro competing on the show is tasked with this and this is hardly the first time Val has had to do a Jazz. Honestly, I think this was just a case of Val hitting a wall with the song and style and he just could not come up with something particularly interesting. It happens. And I will give Rumer kudos for having a good attitude about the scores and criticisms, considering that was a significant hit from the previous week.

I bet 99.5% of people have no idea Riker ever took a ballroom class.  And 99% of the .5% that know don't care.  

I like the non-ballroom and the big productions, personally.  

I was referring to the people who post on the boards.  I agree that 99.5% of the viewers don't know and don't care.  Just like they probably don't care that the ballroom show now includes big productions and other styles.   I was stating my preference of keeping the ballroom challenge as a ballroom challenge instead of choreography challenge,

• Love 2

In most cases I felt the judges handed out scores that did not reflect what I saw.  I’m no expert but I really felt the various tongue baths and negative criticisms were predetermined for narrative purposes.  This often happens about this time in the competition.

I enjoyed how when the usual booing began, Len just went “Shaddup!” and continued.  I would prefer if they just ignored the booers, but this was better than the usual back-and-forth that just holds up the proceedings.

Noah’s good natured assertion that he could play the shark attack victim really gave us a kick.  I like the guy and think he’s done amazingly well but his limitations are more and more apparent.  I thought that near the end of their routine, there was a moment where Sharna was intending to climb up on, or twine around, him but abandoned the attempt because he wasn’t stable enough maybe?

Really appreciated Artem’s work with Patti.  She always looked great, and her lesser abilities were cunningly camouflaged so she was never painful to watch even when she wasn’t dancing much.  Like in the group dance, where in the teacher role it worked well to have her do a different, simpler routine.  It was brilliant to have Patti right out in front (in red yet, pulling the eye) doing strong but simple steps while the “class” did fancier footwork in wedge formation behind her.  That’s how to make a disadvantage into an asset.

Chris and Witney’s music didn’t seem that conducive to a waltz and in my opinion would have been pretty challenging for someone who was supposedly having trouble with the beat.  So I wondered if they were trying to sabotage him.  But he actually did well.

I enjoy Riker’s dancing, there’s just something about his style even when he’s doing a standard movement. He really channels the music into his head and out of his body.

The extra dancers with Rumer’s routine seemed pointless and distracting.

I do think the pink hair suits Julianne, but thought it was prettier last week.

• Love 1

Witney also came from SYTYCD. While she wasn't very popular in her first season as a pro,she went on to win the next season. Granted she had it easy with Alfonso but if anything it showed simply coming from SYTYCD won't necessarily be held against you.

Exactly.  Someone had said that Allison's fanbase was SYTYCD.  So she wouldn't be able to help Riker.  My point was the celeb controls whether they garner more support except for some of the male pros.  Witney got a charismatic celeb and lo and behold, she won. 

• Love 1

I wish they'd stop talking about a lack of chemistry between Nastia and Derek. You can't force two people to have chemistry. You either have it, or you don't. But my thought is, maybe they don't have chemistry because Derek is unable to devote enough time to this season because so much of it is devoted to the Rockettes. Another thought could be that Nastia could be one who has an ice princess personality. Face it, there are a lot of people who just don't have that warm, loving personality, through no fault of their own---it's just who they are.

I'm tired of the "connection" and "chemistry" critiques as well. In the first place, it seems like the judges are determined to find something to criticize abour Nastia, and since she is technically perfect, this is all they can come up with. The whole thing seems very fishy, like they're determined not to give her perfect scores for some bullshit reason. And "chemistry" is extremely subjective. I know a lot of the audience has been commenting on the same thing but we are constantly reminded how little time they have together during the week to rehearse and I think that just feeds the perception that there's a lack of chemistry or connection.

On the other hand, the team dance thing was bullshit too. Team Yolo (whatever the crap that means) was fine and clean but the whole thing was very paint by numbers. Frankly the most impressive part was at the end when they all tossed their colored towels in unison. Aside from that nothing really stood out. Team Trouble was at least more imaginative and interesting and easily danced just as well if not better, so for it to even be a tie just reinforces the idea that it must be written into Derek's contract that his team can never lose. It's fishy.

Val is getting alot of flack for his choreography and it certainly wasn't their best dance by far. But to be fair, Val signed on as a ballroom dancer and I hate the fact that these ballroom experts have to waste their time choreographing jazz , contemporary, Bollywood ....... dances outside of their expertise! I really miss the old DWTS . :(

Aren't the pros allowed to call in assistance?  I remember several seasons ago  Derek having some difficulty choreographing a Lindy Hop (or was it West Coast Swing) and called in someone to help ..... Val certainly could have used one of the pros in the troupe to assist with the choreography - heck, ask Mandy Moore for some help or use Google.

I've had issues with most of Val's choreography this season - he's been very one-note in everything he's given Rumer (and that's letting her down).  He did it again last night.

• Love 2

The manipulation isn't about Riker, it's about Allison.  TPTB get to say:  "see we told you so. Allison is a good choreographer, bringing innovation to ballroom. She is deserving of her spot on the show."

I'm beginning to wonder if this is the first time on DTWS that the Star ringer has more ballroom experience than the pro?

My problems with Riker/Ryker are the same as with Nastia.  They might both have good quality of movement but I can't tell because it's frenetically thrown together.  I guess the pros feel that if you can do it faster, it's showing a mastery of skill.  But all it does is make it hard to see their frame or the steps.  And I wonder if that's the point some times.  Nastia knows better than anyone from gymnastics that the faster the music and the more you bounce around, the less your technique shows.  Slow music requires hitting the positions and holding it.  I think I might like Nastia, but at this point everything she's done is a hot mess.  And I'm sorry but in ballroom dancing there are two people involved.  Having a connection is important.  Robert and Kym have a connection and look genuinely happy to be out there.  Derek looks like he's got a to do list in his mind and Nastia does not look like she's having fun.  YMMV.

I will miss Miss Patty.  She's a class act and one of the few couples I really liked on the show.  Artem did a great job creating dances for her and I like how well they got along.

Chris, sigh.  You can put  lipstick on a pig but it still can't dance. 

I agree with Val that he didn't ask for this stupid song or genre.  But i miss the days when people actually realized that Jazz is a type of dance with certain moves and not just a catch all for anything not ballroom.  I didn't think the dance was bad but I also didn't rewatch it this morning.  Nothing special.

I just want to yank Ryker by his chin and shave his hair off.

I don't know, this is just such a meh season.

• Love 2

I was referring to the people who post on the boards.  I agree that 99.5% of the viewers don't know and don't care.  Just like they probably don't care that the ballroom show now includes big productions and other styles.   I was stating my preference of keeping the ballroom challenge as a ballroom challenge instead of choreography challenge,

All I said was I wish Riker had Sharna.  I don't know how that's relevant to anything that came after.  But I'm all for voicing preferences.  

I really think if this show hadn't reinvented itself a little bit each year it would've been gone long ago.  The base premise is really ridiculous.  It's like those 'circus with the stars' summer filler shows.  They're doing something right.  

......I'll try to restrain the eyeroll and someone should tell him that no, a tie is not beating someone else, it's a tie.......

But....has Derek's streak of always winning the team dance been broken? I think it has. A tie is not a win for Derek so......Derek's winning streak has been broken.

• Love 6

I'm beginning to wonder if this is the first time on DTWS that the Star ringer has more ballroom experience than the pro?

My problems with Riker/Ryker are the same as with Nastia. They might both have good quality of movement but I can't tell because it's frenetically thrown together. I guess the pros feel that if you can do it faster, it's showing a mastery of skill. But all it does is make it hard to see their frame or the steps. And I wonder if that's the point some times. Nastia knows better than anyone from gymnastics that the faster the music and the more you bounce around, the less your technique shows.

I just want to yank Ryker by his chin and shave his hair off.

Agreed. And I was so disappointed when Riker inevitably went back to being Riker. I've enjoyed every second of his Capt. Jack Sparrow. Edited by anonymiss

Oh, please.  This is "Val's season".  It's "Val's time".  They said it day damn one.  Even the media has gotten the memo and continued to run with it.  It's all about Val.  I'll be shocked if someone else wins.  I would love it, but I would be shocked.

Yes, they said it day one.  Have they said it since?  If so, I've missed it.  But if it's their intention to give the season to Val, they're going about it rather strangely.  Rumer was 4th out of 8 this week and just 1 point higher than Chris, for goodness' sake.  Nastia is tied for second.  Rumer has been first on the leader board twice; Nastia three times.  Nastia has outscored Rumer 4 weeks out of 6.  There simply does not seem to be any indication at this point that this is supposed to be "Val's season."  I'd like to see him win because Rumer has come to be my favorite of the group, but I'm just not seeing any indication that they're trying to push it.

• Love 7

I disagree. There's barely been any mention on the show of it being Val's time since Week 1, despite people harping about that one comment every week online. Rumer has been up and down, and definitely not a stand-out. If you want to see what "Making it all about the pro" looks like, please review season 18 for Maks's weekly therapy sessions, with a side of Meryl.

I honestly don't see this push for a Val win this year.

I agree that season 18 was all about Maks. He and Meryl were deserving of that win but TPTB definitely pushed the theme that it was time for Maks to win. IMO it was the major theme of season 18. A mention by Len that it could be Val's season this year and Val saying he has never won, do not equate to a similar theme being pushed by TPTB this year IMO

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 5

I’m a little worried for Willow…she was a little under the radar this week (save for maybe the extra rib and Bruno calling her hot).

I hope the Willow/Mark supporters will vote hard this week!

Her salsa was good, but it wasn't spectacular, so that's just the thing where she might make a single elim, but taking only this week's results could get dicey for her in a double. The only thing "helping" her is that no one was really outstanding this week IMO. As I understood it, though, they're adding next week's scores and votes to this week's, so hopefully she's stronger next week, she will have the power to make more of a case for herself with the general audience. I'm scared for her with this double set-up, but I think two weeks of votes is better for her. Provided she dances well, of course. With her uncertain fanbase even if she survives next week, it will be a constant worry anyway at this point IMO. She has no cushion for being bad, probably hasn't had one for some time. Even doing well but not outstanding like this week is a problem for her.

I laughed aloud at Chris being picked last in the school yard pick.  It's bad when the double amputee and the senior citizen are picked before you!

What cracked me up was how Chris and Noah were standing there, the last ones to be picked, and they were both laughing about it, because in their experience as jocks they'd probably never been picked last for anything. It was a totally new experience for them. What worked for them as teenagers or college guys just isn't what counts here for dance picks. So I liked that they had a sense of humor about it. It was pretty funny.

I loved classic, cranky, truth-telling Len as he brought Derek down to earth for his tango. I cackled when he told the crowd, "Oh shut up." And when he told that other Hough family member that he dances like how he cooks: "throws everything in and hopes for the best!"

I actually thought the comment he made to Riker was unfair because that kind of comment is really more about the choreography and the person teaching him. If he's not being corrected on his posture or his moves, that's not his fault. That's on Allison. She choreographs like she's throwing in everything and anything, fast and furious, and Riker just tries to keep up (and does so admirably, in my view), so if Len's got issues with Riker throwing himself into the dances, he should be addressing Allison, telling her she needs to work with Riker more on his frame or his toes, or whatever. I thought Julianne had a good judging moment, actually, when she gave instruction for what Riker should pay attention to for his slight bowleggedness. That's constructive criticism. Len's criticism was not constructive.

Team Yolo (whatever the crap that means)

I could be wrong (so someone correct me if I am) but I believe YOLO stands for "You only live once." It's text speak abbreviation, basically.

And I was so disappointed when Riker inevitably went back to being Riker. I've enjoyed every second of his Capt. Jack Sparrow.

I laughed when they were still in their Disney costumes, choosing their teams for the group dances, and Riker jokingly said to Nastia in his Jack Sparrow voice, "Choose wisely."  Heee.

• Love 4

One thing that annoyed (slightly): Val's apology to Bruce Willis, yet again, for any choreography that might make his "little girl" seem in any way sexual. If Rumer were 14 like Willow, then yeah, maybe an apology would be appropriate. But Rumer is 26 years old. She's not a baby, she's not a teenager. Her decisions to be sexy are not up to Bruce Willis, or Val, as if her virtue is somehow in jeopardy. Val... I can appreciate you being more "traditional." But she's a grown woman who can make her own mind up about what she's comfortable doing. It's not up to a man in her life and she's not someone who needs to be protected or sheltered. 

• Love 5

One thing that cracked me up, watching Willow and Mark's behind the scenes package: When she seemed low energy, he first asked her if she needed a KitKat. Then he offered, "Ribs?" LOL.

That had me actually laughing out loud too. And I loved how Willow just threw up her hands and decided to strangle him. I'm actually really liking Mark! I am now questioning everthing I hold dear. Is the sky really blue? Is the Earth really round?

• Love 5

One thing that annoyed (slightly): Val's apology to Bruce Willis, yet again, for any choreography that might make his "little girl" seem in any way sexual. If Rumer were 14 like Willow, then yeah, maybe an apology would be appropriate. But Rumer is 26 years old. She's not a baby, she's not a teenager. Her decisions to be sexy are not up to Bruce Willis, or Val, as if her virtue is somehow in jeopardy. Val... I can appreciate you being more "traditional." But she's a grown woman who can make her own mind up about what she's comfortable doing. It's not up to a man in her life and she's not someone who needs to be protected or sheltered. 

Actually what bothers me about that is I feel like it's only happening because her dad is Bruce Willis - it just feels like constant name dropping to me. We get it - Rumer is the daughter of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore. Can we move on now?

• Love 3

Actually what bothers me about that is I feel like it's only happening because her dad is Bruce Willis - it just feels like constant name dropping to me. We get it - Rumer is the daughter of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore. Can we move on now?

Well, I think it is happening because her dad is Bruce Willis, but I figured it was because of her dad's "tough guy" persona in the movies.  Would you want John McClane mad at you?  <lol>

• Love 7

New Dancing with the Stars drinking game:

-Rumer's parents are mentioned

-Someone offers Willow a snack

-Nastia mentions gymnastics

-Chris reminds everyone that he's engaged

-Riker reminds everyone he's related to the Houghs

Finish your drink:

Robert and Kym actually kiss on camera

• Love 2

Erin's inappropriate comments about possible showmances, last night and in previous seasons, remind me of John Travolta getting touchy-kissy with Idina Menzel and Scarlet Johansson or Joe Biden massaging the wives of cabinet members. What do you do, break character and smack them upside the head or ignore them and carry on like a professional? Either way, it's awkward and uncomfortable.

• Love 1

But....has Derek's streak of always winning the team dance been broken? I think it has. A tie is not a win for Derek so......Derek's winning streak has been broken.

Well, he didn't lose. So, technically he has still never been beaten in the team dance.

One thing that annoyed (slightly): Val's apology to Bruce Willis, yet again, for any choreography that might make his "little girl" seem in any way sexual. If Rumer were 14 like Willow, then yeah, maybe an apology would be appropriate. But Rumer is 26 years old. She's not a baby, she's not a teenager. Her decisions to be sexy are not up to Bruce Willis, or Val, as if her virtue is somehow in jeopardy.

What' more, I bet Rumer is sick of it too. She's had to live her whole life under the shadow of her famous parents, and she probably gets tired of Val constantly bringing up her father, like what her father is going to think or do is an equally important consideration in what he's doing with her. That's kind of insulting.

• Love 2

Well, Rumer is only on because she's the child of famous parents, so I expect the show to mention it often.  And Bruce's stone face that night was pretty funny, so it doesn't surprise me they milked it.  Better than asking them to kiss or something.  

He had a straight face and almost a scowl on the nights he was there to watch.  He looked like a tough guy and a lot was said about his expression in a teasing way.  I think that is the root of it. 

Edited by wings707

Exactly. Here Julianne went in and gave them a very low score considering what Chris, Noah, Patti and Robert all got but her main complaint was you danced to Bootylicious in a way that suited the character of the song. Its not like she has never been given a song (Jesse's Girl) and a dance (Tango) and found that to make it work she had to play up to the song or anything. Rumer/Val were in a bad place. Rumer would have shined with something jazzier to show off her real skills but she got jazz and Bootylicious so Beyoncé poses, booty popping and raunch it is. Len and the other judges weren't really wrong but its not like Rumer could have gotten her Fosse on to Destiny's Child.

IDK, Beyonce's had a couple of videos with Fosse-inspired elements in Single Ladies and Get Me Bodied (Sweet Charity). In the late-2000s one of the big viral videos was rap hit Walk It Out synced to Fosse's "Mexican Breakfast" routine. Different songs, but IMO there was room for Val and Rumer to have a bit more content.

He had a straight face and almost a scowl on the nights he was there to watch.  He looked like a tough guy and a lot was said about his expression in a teasing way.  I think that is the root of it.

Yes but the focus on his expression was likely because of who he is. I doubt if Rumer's dad was some random guy, anyone would care about his expression. I just really think Val is a bit starstruck and can't help mentioning her dad. And like someone else noted, it sort of sucks for Rumer who has always been in her parents' shadow and probably hoped to do this show and stand out on her own. 

Edited by truthaboutluv