Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars: Rogue One (2016)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, starri said:

Didn't she say something like "There's too much Vader in him?"

That was Han. Which I remember thinking that Leia should have been the one to say that. Coming from Han, it felt a little, "hey, totally your side of the family, dear."

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ulkis said:

I don't either, but I would still like to hear Leia articulate how all these family revelations affected her/how she felt about them on-screen. Even just a brief "I tried to tell Ben that it didn't matter that he was my father, he was still a monster" or something like that in Force Awakens I think would have at least touched upon it. It's easily guessed, and I don't think they need to hit the audience over the head with a hammer with it, but it would have been/would be a good character moment to hear it.

They touch on that in the Bloodlines book by Claudia Gray. I'm wondering if they'll work more of that into Ep VIII, since all of the new stuff is supposed to be the One True Canon now, or if they'll leave these bits to other media.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, afterbite said:

They touch on that in the Bloodlines book by Claudia Gray. I'm wondering if they'll work more of that into Ep VIII, since all of the new stuff is supposed to be the One True Canon now, or if they'll leave these bits to other media.

I've read it - I thought it was really good. I'd like it if they were able to work more of it into canon. Or movie canon, what have you.

The "too much Vader in him" line was way too stupid for Leia to say, though. I'll bet she blames herself (and Han) for failings in Ben's upbringing rather than some mythical sins-of-the-fathers gene that skips generations.

• Love 4

As much as I love Rogue One, there's something that strikes me a bit wrong about it. Specifically, the ending. Jyn and Cassian are on the beach and he says, "Your father would be proud." How the hell would he know? His one noticable interaction with Galen Erso came via sniper rifle. Sure he may have known that Galen could build superweapons, but I can't imagine the briefings containing much about his personality. His feelings on suicide missions, for one. It feels a bit like mansplaining. Jyn should have said something like, "I know." Anyone else get that?

Cassian knew that Jyn's father planned and incorporated the flaw for the Rebels to exploit.  So Cassian also knew that Galen was more of a spy for the Rebels than a minion of the Empire. Jyn was able to retrieve the plans and get them to the Rebels, furthering the spy-type work begun by Galen.  Thus, Cassian could say with conviction that Galen would be proud of Jyn, without ever having any personal interaction with Galen. 

• Love 9

Yeah, Cassian clearly knew that she'd done all this for her father's sake; to make sure his death (heck, his whole LIFE) wasn't in vain. Her tearful smile in response to his words was a pretty clear indication it was the right thing to tell her. 

In many ways this entire saga: original trilogy, prequels, sequels, spin-offs, are fundamentally about the relationships between fathers - biological or otherwise - and their children. It was an apt line for those two characters to close on. 

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 12

Saw it today. When the Honest Trailer comes out, the title will be "An Actual Suicide Squad. A Star Wars Story." Damn, did anybody in the main cast live? It's like "The Caves Of Androzani."

I'm good with non-Caucasians getting good parts. I'm a bit iffy about them dying. And my big takeaway is that awesome/sarcastic droids can't last through one movie, let alone eight. L2S0 was cool, and I had to see if David Tennant did the voice. I know, I would've heard about it had that happened, and his voice was with a light sabre builder in Rebels, but I had to check anyway. Seriously, C3P0 is okay, but we've had him in eight movies. He's a putzbot. If R2D2 spoke English (or whatever the local language we recognize is), Threepeio would be long gone.

Can't remember the character names. I'm tempted to get a sketch of the blind guy, because he was cool. Also nice that even with the different tone, the Empire still consists of "NAZIS . . . IN . . . SPPPAAAAAACCCCCCEEEEEE!!!!" Also, Stormtroopers? Still suck at their jobs. And Finn was a one-in-a-million thing, so you don't get upset when the good guys zap 'em.

So that was the ugly guy and the alien from A New Hope? The alien that lost a hand to Ben Kenobi? I kinda prefer this continuity, truth be told.

ETA: That's K2S0. Keyboard dyslexia sucks.

I caught this today, and I was underwhelmed, to put it mildly. The biggest problem for me was that none of the rebel characters engaged me at all, save for the pilot who brought them news of the plans in the first place. His story was about the only one that held my attention, when they showed glimpses of it. To escape, be tortured, be dragged into a rebellion, and being a hero before dying, nothing groundbreaking, but the actor sold it. Everyone else I just could not connect with. Jen's mother started it off by pissing me off with her stupid move of approaching a bunch of stormtroopers with one gun. I mean, what exactly did she expect to happen? I personally thought Felicity Jones was horrible in this. She had two facial expressions, one where she stared blankly, and one where she stared blankly with tears welling up in her eyes. 

I hadn't read any spoilers, but I figured early on that all of the new people would die because there was no mention of them in any subsequent movies, so I figured they were the nameless sacrifices mentioned in A New Hope. The first two-thirds was an absolute snore, literally, I almost dozed off in the middle, but forced myself awake by thinking about the cost of the ticket in the premium theater we went to. Things finally got pretty decent during the final third. Since I had already figured that everyone would die, and the pilot character was already dead by the end, I didn't care at all about all the deaths. 

So...better than the other prequals, I guess? That's about as much good as I can say about it. Oh, Darth Vadar was awesome, that was about it.

• Love 7

I finally saw this and like most everyone else, really really REALLY enjoyed it. In fact, I think I borderline loved it, but the movie had just enough flaws to prevent my total adoration. But it was such a DIFFERENT type of Star Wars movie--and its different was executed very very well--that was interesting for being different, and in some ways more satisfying than last year's TFA.

I agree the beginning of this movie was really rough (I wouldn't at all be surprised to find out a lot of that was the result of the reshoots), but once Jyn saw her father's hologram message, the movie gelled and began to flow beautifully. I also agree that killing everyone was the right move, but damn did I want Jyn and Cassian to survive and have pretty babies together. For me the standout actor was Diego Luna as Cassian, though Felicity Jones exceeded my expectations and had some really nice moments. I think part of Jones/Jyn's problem was, as I mention below, that Jyn at a certain point gets lost in the movie, and only reemerges at the very end. I'm also wondering how much the reshoots changed Jyn's  parts of the movie, and whether if--as someone else said above--some good Jyn lines also got cut because they made her too "unlikable."

Adored all the shoutouts to the original trilogy, but seeing "Leia" at the end was like a punch to the gut given the last few days. :(

I too, was surprised they went for the TPK, and part of me feels like that was a cynical move, but on the other hand, kinda ballsy? I do wish I'd gotten more time with these characters before their big damn hero moment.

Yeah, I really liked the movie as-is, but think it would have benefited from 10-15% less action and 10-15% more character beats (there were definitely times where you could tell the impetus behind an action move was "this is Star Wars...we need a space battle here!"). Even Jyn sometimes got lost in the shuffle, which isn't good at all when she's the movie's protagonist, and she and Cassian were the only characters who had anything resembling character arcs. And it's one of those things. On the one hand, I can see where if the whole crew was doomed anyway, spending time with each character was deemed less important, or not a super priority; on the other hand, I thought they were all compelling enough that if they were going to die, I wanted to see as much of them as possible, and wanted each character to be as fleshed out as possible.

Also I wanted more one-liners from K2. He was hilarious.

I think part of it was the score. They kept on teasing the Star Wars fanfare, and I needed it, but then they'd cut to their original score (which sounded like a truncated Across the Stars to be honest.)

Yes, I LOVED the score for this movie! It was wonderful, and I agree with you, the main theme seems to have been influenced by Across the Stars. My only nitpick is that I sometimes thought the music wasn't entirely in sync with what was happening on-screen. You'd have a stirring piece of music and something banal happening on-screen, and then something genuinely stirring would happen on-screen and the music would be blah. Maybe that was a deliberate choice, but either way it didn't work for me and took me out of some of the final action sequences especially. Which is a disappointed, because those scenes were otherwise awesome--as others have said, the action sequences here are definitely the best in any Star Wars film so far. They felt so real and gritty, but still majestic and fantastical.

It does seem kind of glaring that he doesn't mention this intense battle he was just in to intercept the plans. The droids are pretty subdued at the start of the film, which is why I always thought Leia intercepting the plans was a more covert operation then marathon relay through an epic space battle. 

I loved the Leia cameo at the end, but the events of Rogue One do make Leia's "I'm a member of the Imperial Senate on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan!" excuse beyond laughable in ANH, hee.

Great movie. I want to go see it again, both because it feels like it will repay rewatching and because I'm sure there are Easter Eggs I missed on first glance.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3

Saw this for the 3rd time yesterday - did a comparison of IMAX 3D, Dolby 3D, and regular 2D using this film. After the repeat viewings and watching the original trailers (and seeing that Nissan Rogue One commercial about fifty million times during bowl season), I've built my hypothesis of what the movie was about originally. This is likely not earth shattering, and possibly quite off-base, but here we go...

I think Jyn was originally billed as a rebel operative who was still part of Gerrera's faction but mostly operating on her own, causing trouble for the more stately portion of the Rebel Alliance. Likely she was mostly on her own for the reasons Gerrera uses in the movie - it was too dangerous for her to remain. I'd guess that one of the reshoots was the scene were Gerrera asks if she's there to kill him, because it's so dissonant. The rest of his scenes, he's perhaps a bit odd but still commanding and calculating. In the 'here to kill me?' scene, he's weirdly fragile and almost schizophrenic. It's one of the weakest points of the movie for me, along with him deciding to stay and be crushed in the original Deathstar test. You almost get enough of his character to understand why he'd do that, but there's something vital missing.

Anyway, scenes that didn't make it into the movie had Cassian coming to Jyn and telling her that he'd join up with whatever it was she had going on. It was more of a furtive aside, not like in the movie where he shows up with his ragtag group of guys. (And why no ladies, SW?) It makes me think that perhaps Jyn came in to the Rebel Alliance camp with the intention of talking them around into helping her on her mission because she needed their firepower or getting in the way of one of their missions and being unrepentant about it and expecting them to help her once "captured" by them. And, when they declined to join in her mission, she decided she'd just do it herself.

There's little in the movie to show her as a figure who should be able to inspire the Rebel Alliance soldiers. She just doesn't have that history with them, so why would they respond so positively to her pre-battle pep talk? It feels like the part where she says "May the Force be with us" should have come from a soldier they respected either because they'd seen her in action or because she had a fearsome reputation. She's new to these soldiers, and there's nothing to indicate she was a guerrilla with a fearsome and widely known reputation. Saw says she was one of his best soldiers, but she'd parted with him when she was 16, and anyway, I get the feeling that he was already a splinter group and so the main body of the Rebel Alliance wouldn't have known of any exploits she might have gotten up to. Since she'd left him, it didn't seem like she'd gotten up to much rebelling, at least in this version.

I think a lot of it was more in the reactions of others to her. Sometimes, they felt like they were reacting to a character we weren't quite seeing in our version. I like the version we got, though I do wish there'd been a little more smoothing out between the two (or more) existing versions. This Jyn has seen her mother murdered, her father taken away by Imperial forces and known to be helping them. She's been raised by guerrillas, abandoned by them, and left to fend for herself at age 16. She's disillusioned and lonely and doesn't even seem to have enough fight left to fight for herself. Not that she won't take the chance when offered, as seen by her attempted escape from her escape attempt, but she just doesn't have the will needed to keep on with what was likely an exhausting life. She said she liked to think of her father as dead. I imagine that's because it's easier than knowing he's out there, possibly suffering, and that she'll still never get to see him again. It's probably easier to imagine him at peace instead of there but unreachable.

As much as she may once have believed in the ideals of the Rebellion, that's not why she goes on this mission. She goes on the mission to make sure that her father's sacrifice, her mother's sacrifice, and her own sacrifice actually mean something. If she'd been the hotshot Rebel, she'd have been another Leia, and Leia was doing quite well on her own handling that particular role.

tl;dr: I like that she does it all for love and vindication of those she loves, even though she's been beaten down. They just kept a wee too much of the spitfire badass guerrilla (and reactions to someone who would be one of those) for it to be as smooth as it could have been.

All of this is nitpicking, obvs. I clearly love this movie beyond reason. (Though not words, as I've written a lot of them.)

• Love 4

It's funny that even before the movie came out, from the first trailer people were comparing Jyn to Katniss Everdeen, because Jyn's arc is actually the reverse of Katniss'. Katniss makes an unselfish choice to save her sister which inspires others and others end up using her for their own cause with no personal choice in the matter.  Jyn starts out being used as just a tool of a revolution but she becomes personally involved and willing to make a selfless sacrifice which inspires others.  It's ultimately one of the reasons why the final Hunger Games book/movie Mockingjay was disappointing.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I was a fan of the original, when I was a kid, but hadn't really watched anything else related to Star Wars (I remember others watching the sequels to the first one, and vaguely paid attention to The Force Awakens, last week), but I mostly liked this. I almost changed my mind, except several friends of mine were raving about it. I had no idea what this was about, not even that it was a prequel - was that a twist? I need to read the first page of this thread. :) I looked at my dad, and said, "I wonder if anyone from the other movie, is in this." 

Sometimes, I wish they'd use more unknowns for things like this, because I sat there thinking, "Hannibal!" "The guy from 'The Night Of!'" and so on. I wondered if Peter Cushing was still alive - I think it's great that they can do things like that, but I finally pulled out  my phone (sound off), hid it underneath my coat, and googled the cast. 

Loved the snarky robot. He was my favourite. The pilot, and the blind guy and his friend - loved them, too. My dad had no interest in Star Wars, but they had him laughing. I was sad that everyone died, but the ending had everything else making sense (the mostly new cast, at least to my knowledge, everyone dying).

On 4/20/2015 at 11:41 AM, absnow54 said:

I'm really curious to see if they'll incorporate Leia into this movie since she's the one who ends up with the plans, and therefore, is ostensibly involved in the plot. 

And this is why I should read the first page - and watched the first movie again. I haven't watched it for years and years, and have totally forgotten everything except for the robots, and the main characters.

Saw this last night, and absolutely loved it.

There is something special when you can watch this with your 17 year old daughter and she catches it all just as well as I did ... funny, I was 17 when A New Hope came out.

The throwbacks where all kinds of awesome.  We would do a fist bump each time something came up, which made it fun.

The last scene left me with goose bumps, what a way to show full circle.  The CGI was absolutely amazing, I was at a loss for words.  

I was spoiled, but that never bothers me ... however, I thought it was going to be all at once kind of thing, believing they would blow up the planet.  But when they started taking them one by one, I was heartbroken over and over again.

Bittersweet ending, it touched me knowing about Carrie Fisher.  Ugh.

Great movie.  

• Love 3

I like Rogue1 better than The Force Awakens (ducks to avoid tomatoes, just in case).  I am a fan of SW Rebels TV show, so this movie is right in my alley.  In fact there were so many Rebels reference in this movie, you can feel the connection between the show and the movie.  For example, the Hammerhead used to push the Star Destroyer was a nod to the ones delivered by Princess Leia in Rebels.

I like how it is darker spin to Star Wars universe, with the rebels realizing they did cruel things to support the rebellion.

I am wondering what the original 1/3 of the movie is like, hopefully we get to see it once the movie hits bluray

• Love 1

Rogue One's editors reveal the scenes added in the Star Wars standalone reshoots (exclusive)

I thought this part was neat:

"Gold Leader, that actor [Angus MacInnes] is still alive, so we looped him [re-recorded new dialogue to dub over footage] and I think it was a really heady experience for him to be looping himself 40 years later, but that was a lot of fun."

From io9:

The Major (and Most Messed-Up) Revelations From the Official Rogue One Guidebook

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

I like Rogue1 better than The Force Awakens (ducks to avoid tomatoes, just in case).

I do too, though admittedly I've only seen each once. I enjoyed The Force Awakens upon watching it the first time, but liked it a bit less as I thought about it. I started a rewatch and didn't make it very far (not that I disliked it, but I wasn't very involved on the rewatch and thought I'd pick it up later, and I never did). Rogue One I like more and more upon thinking about it, and I'm looking forward to watching it again whenever that happens.

When this new plan after the Disney acquisition was announced, I would have figured The Force Awakens would be the one that adds a lot to the Star Wars mythos and Rogue One would be the corporate fan fiction cash grab. Yet after seeing them both, it's a lot closer to the other way around. Rogue One has really changed and enhanced the context around the first Star Wars. It's hard to read that opening crawl the same way after seeing Rogue One. And it's not easily dismissed

This may not be fair to The Force Awakens, which, ultimately, was a set up for Episodes VIII and IX. In some ways I think J.J. Abrams basically served the same function with the new Star Wars trilogy that he served on Lost. Introduce the characters and set them up, then turn over the keys. But that does leave it feeling somewhat incomplete, and for the moment, hollow, which I don't feel at all about Rogue One.

• Love 1

I saw it again for the second time today, and enjoyed the first half a LOT more knowing how and why certain things were happening. The first time around it felt really messy, now it's a bit clearer who was trying to get where and why. (Though I still think they could have cut Saw completely and given Bodhi a better introduction in which we actually SEE Galen recruit him as a messenger. Then Bodhi could have been looking for Jyn, and the Alliance attempting to nab her first, having heard rumours that a message from the Death Star engineer was on its way to her. It just would have tightened things up a bit). 

I'm really looking forward to the DVD release, as watching the trailers it's obvious just how much was changed/cut. We'll probably get "deleted scenes" of some description, though Disney might want to sit on the alternative endings (which seemed to involve Cassian/Jyn running across the battle field to get to the transmitter, as opposed to it being in the same building as the archives) so as not to give the impression of behind-the-scenes disorganisation. 

I also went straight home and watched "A New Hope". Even more so than the prequels - which had only a tentative grip on continuity - the events of Rogue One really give added context and poignancy to the film (I kept thinking: "the Rogue One team died only twenty minutes ago!")

Oh and here's something for the shippers: throughout the entire movie, Cassian doesn't smile at anyone or anything except Jyn. (Sometimes Kaytoo says something droll and he'll smile, but he'll be looking for Jyn's reaction when he does it). It marks a pretty big shift between first-act Cassian and third-act Cassian. Not sure if it was done on purpose, but if anyone wants to test that theory, I'll be right here!

Edited by Ravenya003

I saw this tonight and I loved it. Even my mom, who isn't at all into space or sci-fi films, and grudgingly went with me, really liked it. I read this thread a few days before, so I knew the ending, but it didn't ruin the movie for me. In fact, I think I was able to enjoy it more, because I wasn't spending the last few minutes worrying if they were going to make it out. That said, I still totally cried when Chirrut died, and when Jyn and Cassian held each other on the beach knowing they were going to die. And when Leia appeared, of course. :(

K2 is probably my favorite of all the droids so far and definitely brought some levity. "Not me. I can survive in space" had me rolling. 

I also can't help but appreciate how...timely this movie is. Jyn saying "Rebellions are built on hope" was something I needed to hear right now. 

• Love 4

I did not expect them all to die! (Although it does make sense since the team was never mentioned in the original). I'd figured they'd lose a few members but that Jin and Cassian would make it out, and then the shockwave hit the beach and I was all "oh crap"

Slightly embarrassed that I didn't recognise Tarkin's voice as I watch Guy Henry in Holby!

2 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

I did not expect them all to die! (Although it does make sense since the team was never mentioned in the original). I'd figured they'd lose a few members but that Jin and Cassian would make it out, and then the shockwave hit the beach and I was all "oh crap"

Slightly embarrassed that I didn't recognise Tarkin's voice as I watch Guy Henry in Holby!

I was mostly unspoiled for the movie but it reminded me of The Dirty Dozen so I figured most would die, just not the main characters. I also thought that maybe Jyn or Cassian would die but not both.

As soon as K2 died, I was like damn, they're all going to Die! 

I have to give them credit, I really did not expect that ending.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I was mostly unspoiled for the movie but it reminded me of The Dirty Dozen so I figured most would die, just not the main characters. I also thought that maybe Jyn or Cassian would die but not both.

As soon as K2 died, I was like damn, they're all going to Die! 

I have to give them credit, I really did not expect that ending.

Yeah, the trailers screamed The Dirty Dozen to me. But even in that, at least Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson and the other guy survived. I don't know when I realised that they were all going to die. I was kind of surprised that the pilot died, actually. Thought he might make it out. And I thought Jyn might as well.

But the movie works better, because it offers an unflinching look at the sacrifices made so that Luke, Wedge and chums could bullseye that metaphorical wamp-rat. It felt a lot more grown up than previous Star Wars movies, and a lot more modern. And the franchise needs that, to be able to move forward and keep expanding.

• Love 3

This video has been getting a lot of attention both from people who love the movie and hate it. The title is tongue in cheek.

A lot of her points are valid although I can debate a few but ultimately, after an initial "meh" reaction and a rewatch where I changed perspective I liked the movie. For all it's flaws I think Rogue One is a great movie about heroism and especially sacrifice. Other Star Wars movie have a lot about heroism but not sacrifice. I think whether a person likes a movie or TV show or book not all comes down to just "one thing".  You can tell me a movie is great and list all it's positive qualities but if I can't get past one thing I'm not going to like it or at least think it's just ok. Similarly if you tell me a movie is garbage and list all it's faults that are hard to dispute, if there's one thing about it I like that resonates with me I'm going to still like it. If I hate a movie I'll see all it's flaws, if I love it I'll ignore them.

Edited by VCRTracking

Meh.  She complained about too many running and walking AND THEN she wanted to see the main characters running together on the beach? Make up your mind!!! :P :P :P

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 1

I finally got to see Rogue One and I loved it.  It really fit in right before episode IV and I do confess I teared up at the end when Leia got the information it really didn't hit me until then that she is really dead.  I just loved the cast I also loved the scenery the planets were distinct and each place had it's own feel.  Jyn's journey to save what was left of her family in such desperate times was so very human.  She wanted to save her father, her father wanted to save the rebellion.  I like that this was a discrete story because we know why it happened and we know the consequences of it as well.  

Kylo Ren would have to get up extra early get in all his evil laugh practice and evil mirror posing and he still would not be one quarter evil cool as Darth Vader.  That "battle" at the end when he takes on the rebel soldiers just shows how dangerous one jedi could be and Vader was just awesome doing it.  Ren should just hang up his helmet and take up moisture farming because compared to Vader he's just pathetic.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Well Obi-Wan knew he was going to be a Force ghost and Alderaan did not sign up for the whole sacrifice thing. Death Star shows up at their door and they're like "Fuck!"

Vader sacrificed himself so Luke could live

Felicity Jones is hosting Saturday Night Live now. They covered Rogue One in the monologue, with Kenan Thompson as Saw Gerrera, Tine Fey as a hologram, and Leslie Jones as herself. If it comes on YouTube via NBC, I'll link it here.

ETA: I had to Google "Rogue One" characters to get the name of the guy with the CPAP mask.

ETA2: Here we go . . .

Kenan's Saw Gerrera impression was on hilariously on point.  Forrest Whitaker voiced Saw on Star Wars Rebels two weeks ago and it was so different from the movie. I know the episode was supposed to take place two or three years before Rogue One and it was before Saw got injured and needed mechanical legs and a breathing mask but it was still so jarring because he sounded normal. It made me wonder when Forrest recorded the episode, before or after the R1 reshoots.

On 12/17/2016 at 3:57 PM, VCRTracking said:

To me, Anakin in the prequels showed that he and Luke had similar qualities but took different paths. They were both petulant whiners but they outgrew it and matured.

And the petulant whining continues with Kylo.  Wonderful family trait.

Just saw the movie finally yesterday.  I had one question that I didn't see mentioned here.  The file that has the plans with the defect was named "Stardust", which only Jyn knew was her father's name for her, and therefore she knew that was the file with the defect.  So if Jyn hadn't been directly involved with the file's retrieval, how would anyone else know which file to pull?  I guess Galen planned somehow that someone would contact him for the plans (how?  who?), but he had to know it was possible that Bodhi would be caught, or not get the message through.  I'm just wondering how Galen expected to really help in the case Jyn wasn't around (for whatever reason).

I also thought it a bit stupid for Jyn's mother to sacrifice herself like that.  One person against at least half a dozen?  She wasn't Jedi, and apparently had no special training.  Did she really think she'd win?  All she was doing was leaving Jyn without her mom.

So I guess the two ANH characters Jyn ran into in Jedha city had immediately left the city afterwards.

I loved the little easter eggs in the movie.  

I saw this yesterday, and the first thirty minutes of this movie is such a hazy memory. They visit and caption a half dozen planets, and all I remember is people being busted out of prisons. The bodhi character was obviously majorly retooled, Forest Whitaker says his mind reading octopus would make him lose his mind, but he's 95% better within a day. Forest Whitaker must have had a bunch of scenes cut, because he captures a whole bunch of people, only to release them 2 minutes later. How Jyn made her way to Yavin IV must've been different, because she's strangely treated like scum despite doing sweet fuck all to harm them. I thought the blind Asian warrior was hokey. And the droid reminded me of Sheldon from the Big Bang theory. 

6 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

How Jyn made her way to Yavin IV must've been different, because she's strangely treated like scum despite doing sweet fuck all to harm them.

Well her beating up two of the Rebels rescuing her probably had something to do with it. Actually that intro was done as part of the reshoots. Originally Jyn as an adult first appears as she's brought to Yavin IV. Then the filmmakers thought it would be better to show Jyn being a bit of handful first instead of having Mon Mothma and the other Rebel leaders say it in a list of offenses.

I'm thinking her icy reception was also due to the fact she's Galens daughter. He's a high ranking Imperial who's building a super weapon. No knows yet that he's been sabotaging it. They are not going to be warm and welcoming to his kid.

• Love 1

Just wanted to post about the Rogue One tie-ins.  I'm currently reading the Rogue One novelization by Alexander Freed and it's excellent.  It's exactly what I expected from a novelization.  A lot of extra stuff and great insight into the characters, as well as some original material in-between some of the chapters.

Marvel Comics will also be adapting the movie for a six-part series, which will include some deleted material.  Here's some more information on it...

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/rogue-one-comic-book-to-include-scenes-cut-from-the-star-wars-movie-195516769.html

On 17/01/2017 at 9:56 AM, Hanahope said:

Just saw the movie finally yesterday.  I had one question that I didn't see mentioned here.  The file that has the plans with the defect was named "Stardust", which only Jyn knew was her father's name for her, and therefore she knew that was the file with the defect.  So if Jyn hadn't been directly involved with the file's retrieval, how would anyone else know which file to pull?  I guess Galen planned somehow that someone would contact him for the plans (how?  who?), but he had to know it was possible that Bodhi would be caught, or not get the message through.  I'm just wondering how Galen expected to really help in the case Jyn wasn't around (for whatever reason).

My memory is fuzzy, but in his holographic message to Saw/Jyn/To Whomever It May Concern, didn't he specifically drop the term "Stardust"? If so, that may have been his attempt to clue in anyone listening who wasn't Jyn - though since the message was explicit enough in every other respect, it's still a bit of a plot hole. 

So one of the many questions the story group answers at 22:48 is that Galen Erso knew the reactor he designed was unstable but he didn't know exactly how to exploit it, which is why he didn't say in his message, "Just shoot into the thermal exhaust port" The Rebels needed to get the plans first and analyze them to find the where to hit it.

Edited by VCRTracking