Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars: Rogue One (2016)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

Not so sure spinoff movies are a good idea... but it's happening.  I suppose Disney sees the notion as an unexploited revenue stream, but it's the potential dilution of a brand that's been SO well protected until now.

The actual plot idea is... interesting.  It's basically "Episode 3.9" (because it's so close to Episode 4 timewise but not quite there). 

Articles:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a642746/star-wars-rogue-one-story-centres-on-death-star-heist.html#~paohdwc6izSOfP

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/19/star-wars-celebration-rogue-one-footage-and-premise-revealed

"An era without Jedi"? If that actually turns out to be completely true, this may end up being my favourite Star Wars movie. Don't get me wrong, I like Jedi, but man, has the Star Wars franchise leaned on them way too heavily!

Seeing the Rebels fighting a true underdog fight, with no real hope of victory on the horizon, could make for a very interesting exploration of the Star Wars extended universe. And this sounds like a true Star Wars war movie, which is an interesting take. We've never really seen the Rebels fighting before. We've seen them in space battles, we've seen them get slaughtered by AT-ATs, and we've seen them slink around the jungle making friends with teddy bears. But actual combat against Storm Troopers? Not really since the opening scene of Star Wars itself, and then it looked more like ship security forces.

• Love 1

First, I was expecting Rebels to end with stealing the Death Star plans. Second, with a name like Rogue, I was hoping for Rogue Squadron. Ah well, I'll go see it no matter what.

I'm really curious to see if they'll incorporate Leia into this movie since she's the one who ends up with the plans, and therefore, is ostensibly involved in the plot. 

With a CGI animated young Carrie Fisher?  Or a voiceover only with her approximating her old voice?  A little hologram (and like the classic one a little shaky looking/hard to see) with a double playing young Leia maybe and Carrie's voice dubbed perhaps?

(edited)

The story of how the Rebellion got the Death Star plans.  Starring Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Donnie Yen, Mads Mikkelsen, and Forrest Whittaker.

Awesome, outside of the "I rebel." line.  And I'm sticking with Felicity Jones is playing Rey's mother.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 2

I've been a Star Wars fan as long as I can remember (I had to leave the theatre when Jabba was onscreen because he scared me so badly -- hey, I was 7!), but I might have to skip this one.

Disney purchased the rights so they're free to do whatever they like, but I'm not happy with them messing with the original trilogy.  I'm not saying the movies are sacrosanct or that Disney is destroying my childhood, but I can't help but wish they'd leave it alone.  Like a few months ago, when a new comic revealed that 

Han Solo was married during the events of the original trilogy -- and that Leia knew!

Whatever Disney does is canon and I haven't always been happy with their decisions.  This feels like a cash grab, not that they have a story to tell.

As always, mileage varies.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'll definitely see it, because I think it has an impressive cast, and I actually like the idea of exploring the original trilogy further, because I think the storyline is better developed than the New Order/Resistance stuff. My only qualm with the trailer is that it screams "Katniss Everdeen in Space." Like I'm pretty sure if you played this teaser and Mockingjay's teaser side by side, the shots would match exactly. 

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 3

It looks well made that's for sure but it also reads like official fanfic. But I've never been a big fan of prequels or parallel stories that don't change the main storyline.

I don't mind Disney making SW side stories because they seem really honed in one making them quality films and not simply cash grabs *coughcWarnerBroscough* but still this seems...a weird choice because we know she doesn't steal the plans because Alderaan goes boom.

but still this seems...a weird choice because we know she doesn't steal the plans because Alderaan goes boom.

I'm pretty sure these are the plans that Leia stashes on R2D2, so we know that they successfully retrieve the plans, the problem is, they get them back to the base too late.

(edited)

I'm pretty sure these are the plans that Leia stashes on R2D2, so we know that they successfully retrieve the plans, the problem is, they get them back to the base too late.

Ah, that makes sense. Well, that's just sad. 2 hours of watching them execute a plan that ultimately fails doesn't sound terribly appealing. 

I'm hoping the movie will introduce things that effect the "present day" universe. 

BTW was that Vader in there? Are we getting James Earl Jones back? That would make me happier than anything.

Edited by JessePinkman
(edited)

To be fair, the recovery of the plans also leads to the destruction of the Death Star, which was the Rebellion's first major victory, so the mission was successful, from a certain point of view...

BTW was that Vader in there? Are we getting James Earl Jones back? That would make me happier than anything.

I'm very curious to see who might be involved. The actress playing Mon Mothma is the same from Episode III, so technically they could slip in a pre-Alec Guiness-Ewan McGregor-era Obi Wan Kenobi (which Ewan McGregor has been campaigning for hardcore.) I know Obi Wan played dumb at times throughout A New Hope, but I feel like he had some involvement with the Rebellion. There were also some rumors about Hayden Christensen making an appearance in Episode VII that never came to pass, but it could have been Rogue One related (at which point, it'd really just be him wearing the suit while James Earl Jones handles the acting.)

Edited by absnow54

And I'm sticking with Felicity Jones is playing Rey's mother.

I'll be kind of disappointed if that theory isn't true, because it would be next-level franchise planning if it was.

• Love 1

Hayden Christensen is too short to play Vader. Apparently he needed something like six inch lifts in his shoes, which is just ridiculous. They'll probably get someone else to play Vader.

Hayden Christensen is too short to play Vader. Apparently he needed something like six inch lifts in his shoes, which is just ridiculous. They'll probably get someone else to play Vader.

Abrams and co. have not exactly been subtle in not wanting anything to do with the prequels.

Though they did bring back the actress who played Mon Mothma in a bunch of deleted scenes from ROTS.

(edited)

The mission to steal the Death Star plans was successful.  It just got sidetracked and yeah, Alderaan paid the ultimate price in the end.

I think the trailer looks really good and I’m looking forward to this movie.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

Though they did bring back the actress who played Mon Mothma in a bunch of deleted scenes from ROTS.

Considering that I thought they'd gone back in time to retrieve the original actress, that's one decision worth keeping.

I'm actually pretty stoked. Trailer was awesome, and there's some serious talent here. Sure, it's ground that's been covered, heck I think I stole the Death Star plans in one of the video games.

• Love 1

Ah, that makes sense. Well, that's just sad. 2 hours of watching them execute a plan that ultimately fails doesn't sound terribly appealing. 

The plan doesn't fail though. The stolen plans show the Rebels how to destroy the Death Star, which was what they intended to do. Saving Alderaan wasn't part of the plan, because no one knew it was under threat until Tarkin destroyed it.

I don't think I'll get tired of seeing all the original trilogy iconography used in these new movies. AT-ATs, Star Destroyers, TIE Fighters, it's all quintessential Star Wars. But so far in this trailer, not a single Jedi or lightsabre sighting. Hope it stays that way. Let's see just one Star Wars property that doesn't rely on Jedi, and instead focuses solely on the 'normal' people of the galaxy. Vader may well show up, but I doubt he'll have a big role. Looks like white cloak dude is the main villain, from this trailer.

I'm also intrigued by the possibility of Felicity Jones being Rey's mother. I think that would be a pretty well thought out turn of events, which could tie the movies together well. Or even if they just hinted at that being the case, it would be a nice tease for fans.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm really glad they got Genevieve O'Reilly back to play Mon Mothma. I wish her scenes in ROTS hadn't been cut.

Also love that the teaser trailer passes the Bechdel Test.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

And now I'm pissed that I have to wait until December to see this. Excuse me while I do the pout of a spoiled child.

::pouts::

Ok I'm back. Felicity Jones looks so much like Daisy Ridley, and Daisy looks so much like Carrie Fisher, that I must agree with the spec that this HAS to be Rey's mom. AND I AM READY FOR IT!!!

• Love 3
(edited)

Bumping it up with more love for the trailer. It was even more exciting than the Star Wars: The Force Awakens  trailer, if that's possible.  Seeing Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Donnie Yen, Mads Mikkelsen & Forest Whitaker is great, but they had me at Mon Mothma. 

Edited by DollEyes

Different, but I'm intrigued.  I do wonder if they will successfully work them basically going back to around A New Hope time and not just feel like a nostalgic tour, but I like the idea of finding out how the Rebellion got ahold of the original Death Star plans in the first place.

From the scenes we do see, it definitely has the same feel that Rian Johnson brought to his past work, so I'm really curious to see his final work in this.

Felicity Jones character really does look a lot like Rey, so I will totally not be surprised if she ends up being her mother 

and Luke is the father.

(edited)

From the scenes we do see, it definitely has the same feel that Rian Johnson brought to his past work, so I'm really curious to see his final work in this.

Rian Johnson is directing Episode VIII. Gareth Edwards directed this one... He previously directed the recent Godzilla remake and Monsters.

I guess the thing I'm curious about is how they will handle the titles. Will it be a variation of the traditional title scrawl or will they do something totally different?

Edited by Ronin Jackson

Rian Johnson is directing Episode VIII. Gareth Edwards directed this one... He previously directed the recent Godzilla remake and Monsters.

Ah, got them mixed up.  Still curious because I know Gareth Edwards' Godzilla got a lot of complaints for it's boring characters and, ironically, lack of the actual Godzilla, but there was a lot about that film I enjoyed, so I'm curious to see what he'll bring to the Star Wars universe.

(edited)

Ah, got them mixed up.  Still curious because I know Gareth Edwards' Godzilla got a lot of complaints for it's boring characters and, ironically, lack of the actual Godzilla, but there was a lot about that film I enjoyed, so I'm curious to see what he'll bring to the Star Wars universe.

Yeah the human characters outside of Cranston and Watanabe, weren't great, but Godzilla is a big reason why I'm looking forward to what Edwards can do.  He did a fantastic job of building the tension, the visuals and camera work were great, the action scenes were really good (look at the troops skydiving into San Francisco), and he made Godzilla massive.  It was obvious how huge Godzilla was, he got that perfectly.  Look at the trailer and how huge the AT-AT Walkers look.  There were things wrong with Godzilla, the directing was not one of them.

I have faith that Disney will not allow their $4 billion franchise have terrible characters, and if there are boring characters, they won't be the focus.

Edited by Jediknight

This will also be the first live action Star Wars feature film that isn't scored by John Williams. It'll be scored by Alexandre Desplat who is a terrific composer in his own right... it will be interesting to see how often he incorporates the existing Williams themes.

• Love 1

Leia wasn't  a protagonist?

powers

I don't think Darth Vader was implied in the trailer. Those two characters in red are the Emperor's bodyguards.

It has been stated that this film is about ordinary people fighting the Empire so no Jedi powers or lightsabers.

(edited)

Leia was important, but she was secondary to Luke. Luke was clearly the main character of the original trilogy. Rey and Jyn are shaping up to be the main characters of the new trilogy and Rogue One respectively.

I am less excited about Jyn than I am about Rey, however. If you look at IMDB, Jyn and Mon Mothma are literally the only two female characters right now out of a fairly lengthy list of characters. To me, Jyn feels less like a step forward than a promoted Smurfette. It's faux progressiveness. We shouldn't have to trade in the existence of significant female supporting characters in order to have a female lead protagonist.

Also, based on IMDB, the majority of characters are still overwhelmingly white men. Also, note that as diverse as the main cast looks at a glance, the sausage fest means that there are currently no listed female main characters of color. This is on top of both the old and new trilogy having significant supporting characters played by male POC, but no significant visible female PoC (i.e. yes, it's great that Lupita Nyong'o has a role and both she and the character were great, but it's not the same as having female equivalents to Finn, Poe, Lando, or Mace).

Edited by Zuleikha
  • Love 3

Yeah a movie based off of those books or off the video game series Tie FIghter would have been cool. Grand Admiral Thrawn and Rogue Squadron as well as Gray Squadron were some of the best expanded universe stuff.

Well we do have this

(edited)
I am less excited about Jyn than I am about Rey, however. If you look at IMDB, Jyn and Mon Mothma are literally the only two female characters right now out of a fairly lengthy list of characters. To me, Jyn feels less like a step forward than a promoted Smurfette. It's faux progressiveness. We shouldn't have to trade in the existence of significant female supporting characters in order to have a female lead protagonist.

This is why all the criticism about female heroes taking over the Star Wars series makes no sense to me. Yes, we're seeing a trilogy and an anthology led by a female protagonist, but the films are still largely saturated with men. Looking at the Wikipedia page, which only features the key characters announced so far, men outnumber women 3:1, and the only major female characters the Star Wars saga has had, have all been brown haired white girls (which, I know, they're probably all related, sort of...) who go on adventures with a team of boys. I'm not complaining that the film isn't progressive enough, films will never please everybody, I just don't understand the argument that the new Star Wars films are being too progressive.

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 8
I'm not complaining that the film isn't progressive enough, films will never please everybody, I just don't understand the argument that the new Star Wars films are being too progressive.
Especially since the other anthology films discussed are a Han Solo one (white male lead) and Boba Fett... two more male leads (although Boba Fett should be Maori, which is a very underrepresented group). I am not expecting that we'll get a 3-1 female to male ratio in the male-led movies.

On top of that, the overwhelming majority of writers and directors are white men. Are there any women currently hired as either writers or directors for a scheduled movie? So we're getting predominantly male characters in a stories predominantly told from a male POV. That's not progressive or diverse. Real progressiveness in a series would be gender balance in characters--or even the occasional story that has a majority of female characters--and a cast of that includes female POC as well as male POC and are told by a fairly equal mix of men and women from a variety of ethnic backgrounds. 

Lest it be misconstrued, I'm not exactly complaining about this. I think these issues are structural, so I don't believe in criticizing individual films for what they do or don't do unless we're talking blatant racism/sexism/other isms. But I also think it's ridiculous to celebrate something that's really very much same ole' same ole' with some minor tweaks. The main thing that seems genuinely progressive about Rogue One right now is the diversity in the male characters, although of course, it would be early to comment on that without knowing anything about the actual characters or their story arcs.

• Love 4

I don't think that two female leads in a row is a minor tweak. I think it's huge and a big step towards equality which is all too rare still, especially with the popularity of superhero movies which barely have any women.

Yes, it would be awesome if we had gender balanced casts (for some reason, it happens more frequently on TV than in movies). But right now, I reserve my right to be happy that we get female main characters.

• Love 5

This is why all the criticism about female heroes taking over the Star Wars series makes no sense to me. Yes, we're seeing a trilogy and an anthology led by a female protagonist, but the films are still largely saturated with men. Looking at the Wikipedia page, which only features the key characters announced so far, men outnumber women 3:1, and the only major female characters the Star Wars saga has had, have all been brown haired white girls (which, I know, they're probably all related, sort of...) who go on adventures with a team of boys. I'm not complaining that the film isn't progressive enough, films will never please everybody, I just don't understand the argument that the new Star Wars films are being too progressive.

Because fanboys think having ANY women is having too many women. Especially if a woman is--gasp!--not there just to be a love interest!
  • Love 6
(edited)

Because fanboys think having ANY woman is having too many women. Especially if a woman is--gasp!--not there just to be a love interest!

Or not there to be rescued by men nor have every aspect of their lives revolving around them, the Force forbid. 

I say the so-called "fanboys" should go fuck themselves, preferably with chainsaws. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 6
(edited)
I don't think that two female leads in a row is a minor tweak. I think it's huge and a big step towards equality which is all too rare still, especially with the popularity of superhero movies which barely have any women.

Also I just love the little bit of interaction between Jyn and Mon Mothma we see in the teaser. I hope they have more scenes together in the movie than just a mission briefing.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4

I haven't seen any of these star wars films, but hasn't there always been a female lead in all these films? I guess the only different is that instead of following Luke's journey or Anakin falls they are just following Rey and whoever Felicity's character is but those two are still sharing the lead (co-lead as you will) with a male or two male characters.