Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: In The Cups

• Start Topic

I find the Kathryn/Craig flirtation so weird...she seems older than him, mostly due to the fact that her trucker-voiced young babymama shtick clashes with his videogame-playing overgrown fratboy vibe. 

A certain breed of frat boy-types these days are into the trucker voice. I don't get it. But I know this because I have one like 30% of the time (sometimes my voice just gives up...), and it turns out the bros that like it are the same bros that offer unsolicited opinions about the voices of women around them.

I kind of felt bad for Kathryn this week, with Thomas treating her like that. And I thought the campaign manager sending her that text in response to the voicemail was super inappropriate. 

• Love 1

I also wanted to say that Thomas telling Kathryn that he didn't want to deal with "chaos" was freaking stupid.  If he had said he needed a good night's sleep in order to prepare for the debate, it would have gone over so much better.  When you have a baby, that's understandable.  But to say you are not coming home because of chaos (and "chaos" that you helped to create), well, you're just bucking for an argument or something.

I felt bad for Kathryn on the one hand but on the other, this would be her life being the SO of a politician.

• Love 3

Did you see the prices on the furniture in the store, and Kathryn kept saying "I want this" figuring Thomas would just fork over his credit card. THAT is her attraction to him. He bought her a nice bed. Trouble is, she'll be sleeping in it by herself. The only time I see her smile is when she's with her baby. I'd take that kid and disappear to Mom & Dad's, and tell him when he's ready to start treating her with respect, then he can visit. But I damn sure wouldn't be dreaming of engagement rings and a house filled with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of furniture. Honey, they won't keep you warm at night.

Were they expensive?  I thought the prices looked average. That scene to me looked like how their relationship plays out.  Thomas is the rich older 'daddy' buying Kathryn's affection.  It seemed very comfortable to both of them.

• Love 1

Kathryn got impregnated by the wrong Charmer.  Shep really did get lucky and escape that one!

Not only did I swoon (for the second time in a week) when he explained how he knew he was in love, but I also thought it was kinda sweet that he told Cameran that he's looking for a girl.  Poor Danni.  No wonder she seems to take whatever crumbs Shep throws.  She certainly was the first one to jump up and give him a hug at his birthday party. 

Sheppie seems to be a frat boy with a heart of gold.

Edited by zenme
  • Love 4

Well, to be fair, those rich husbands probably didn't even know Whitney existed, what with him spending most of his time in closets like Nosferatu.  

BWAH!!!!!

If Whitney is gonna pine away after some inaccessible male, why not Shep?!??!

• Love 2

I don't know why everyone is so upset with the suggestion that Kathryn should do her best to make it work with Thomas

Frankly, IF -- IF Kathryn is going to keep displaying the -- IMO lack of self worth or intelligence she has shown so far -- by getting pregnant by a man of Thomas' ilk in the first place -- then I agree she should make it work.

She has a college degree, and what has she done, but get pregnant by a man twice her age, and be seen on TV getting drunk....and gotten herself into this situation. She made her bed, she needs to lay in it.

Sorry no sympathy here for her AT ALL. Save your tears baby. You wanted him you got him. At look what your got..... 

• Love 1

Can you imagine if Kathryn had gotten pregnant by...horrors!...Whitney???!!!! I can't even go there, at all. Actually, I suppose he would have insisted she abort.

Kathryn and Thomas are extremely interesting. When she walks in the room he says a warm "hi honey" to her but they don't, or barely even touch or look at each other. How come she is never kissing on him, rubbing his back? He is never putting his arms around her. They are just...strange.

Actually, I think Kathryn is the strange one. Don't get me wrong, TRav has some serious issues and is very immature. But something seems off about Kathryn to me. She seems cold and calculating. I believe that she "loves" Thomas in some capacity, as a father figure who can take care of her. But why didn't she want more for herself? Real love and passion and then family? Something just doesn't seem right about her. To give up her youth and freedom at the age of TWENTY ONE for a fifty year old man...I don't care who he is.

And she didn't get pregnant "accidentally"-she actually planned it with Thomas! So obviously she wasn't on birth control with Whitney or Shep either... and all in front of cameras, perfect timing to make their new reality show very dramatic. Again, something is not fully right with her.

She sure did light up when he was letting her spend his $$.

Shep gets cuter and cuter in personality and Craig gets more and more ugly to me. Shep talking about being in love was so swoon-worthy! Poor Danni indeed. She looks gorgeous this season though!

• Love 7

She has a college degree

Nope, I don't think Kathryn finished college.

I need to get a screen shot of her in the furniture store. At one point her mouth was open so wide she could have caught enough flies to go fishing for a week.

• Love 1

I don't know why everyone is so upset with the suggestion that Kathryn should do her best to make it work with Thomas

I think it's kind of gross to insinuate that SHE'S the one that should do her best to make it work with Thomas, when it takes 2 people.  She's what, 22?  Of course she's immature.  What's his excuse?  As much as I might dislike Kathryn, she deserves some respect as a human being and the mother of his child, and I think he's kind of patronizing towards her.  

His behavior on camera has been no less embarrassing than hers.  And again, he's twice her age.

Edited by larapu2000
  • Love 9

Thing is most guys will take a woman at her word about birth control. I have an IUD and no man has ever insisted I prove it to them. Kathryn very well could have said the same. I dunno, I tend to think both parties are at fault with accidental pregnancies, because even if a woman says she is on the pill or whatever it's still a guy's choice whether to wear a condom or not.

I also think it was rude of Thomas to have his assistant text Kathryn to tell her to basically leave him alone. He very well could have done that himself and chose different wording. I don't blame her for wanting to go to Shep's birthday thing, though it probably wasn't wise for her to get as drunk as she did...homegirl got hammered. I hope she didn't drive home, cos I am pretty sure (even though it was only 4 blocks, according to Craig) that they pulled up and she was behind the wheel. Not good!! Kensie doesn't need two parents who have been to jail.

I know Craig had a thing for Kathryn last season, I wonder if that is coming back out since Thomas is gone so much. I could see that being a cute pair, to be honest. At the very least Craig is much more age appropriate, though I dunno how he feels about being with TRav's 'scraps'. I'm not sure either guy would put a ring on it, but I think if she were to strike up something with Craig it would have a better chance of lasting. She and Thomas seem to just be playing roles, and it's obvious all the emotions are coming from Kathryn. I'm pretty sure he doesn't give much of a shit about anything besides his campaign, and bitching out Whitney that he's $150k in the hole over that stupid commercial.

Shep was too cute, I enjoyed listening to him talk about being in love. I need to find a guy like that. Except with teeth that fit in his mouth. Sorry, Shep...but your veneers just don't do it for me.

• Love 1

I keep trying to envision Craig and Kathryn living together....Craig's mess of a room, Kensie getting lost crawling around in the piles of clothes while Craig played video games, with Kathryn out having lunch or shopping. I don't see it happening. Kathryn almost needs as much attention and taking care of as her child does.

I stand corrected on Kathryn having a degree..she attended college, but didn't finish. studied poly sci at the University of South Carolina. 

Perhaps even a better reason for her to have stayed with Thomas....I hate to put it this way, but "what does she really have to offer anyone" She's a single mother, not that educated, and doesn't seem to be that smart, or motivated to accomplish much. Doesn't sound she's a catch.

Edited by selhars
  • Love 2

Cooksdelight, Thomas and Kathryn have connoted Teddy and Joan for me since last season as well! Fortunately, in her expanded role (she was something of a cipher in my opinion last year) she strikes me as scrappier and stronger than Joan so I hope she eventually matures enough to avoid a Camelotesque tragedy . . . I have to say that I think Kathryn's lack of degree is pretty irrelevant in the context of the company she keeps/the cast at large. What *less* does she have to offer than a random housewife of the manner that populate Bravo programming (she's pretty - and interestingly so - and well connected/familiar with aspirational society) or her fellow Southern Charmers? If we're reducing them to the lowest common denominator of their personalities, Whitney is a 50-year-old dilettante who lives at home with his mother and spends his time devising puerile band names that don't even rely on proper puns for their cleverness; Shep is entering middle-age and just now focusing long enough to initiate his first sustained business enterprise; Craig boasts TWO degrees and can't get to work on time or at all; Cameran manned a makeup counter until she married well and built enough leverageable relationships to venture into real estate; TRav, cosmopolitan and erudite as he is, relied on his daddy's name to launch his political career and promptly got himself sent to prison on pretty serious felony charges. All of which is good and fine - I and plenty of other people have been directionless and spoiled in youth - but it's not like Kathryn isn't as intelligent or perceptive as her cohort in my view just because she's had a kid (though she may articulate herself more consistently in early twenties patois). There are plenty of things she's perfectly capable of doing: becoming a realtor like Cameran, working in political finance (requires connections and fluency with donors), contributing to or managing a legislative office, local or online political punditry . . . Whether or not Kathryn wants to do any of those things is not a reflection of lack of capability to do them. If she wants to pursue financial security via marriage, I do think she needs to learn to placate her partner better and baby him more. However, I thought TRav's behavior this season and in this episode has been disturbing for a variety of reasons. Kathryn critiqued the "Raise the Roof" ad relatively incisively and repeatedly and Thomas and his male friends acted like she was hormonal/crazy/unstable. Amy makes the same judgment on the same reasoning and Thomas concurs. Thomas has complained with consistency about Kathryn not having food on the table (despite the fact that she was taking care of his child and delayed by only several minutes) and now, in this broadcast, is angry that she somehow isn't spontaneously able to make a baby stop crying. And while I don't think she should, like, be going on benders every night or anything, the general response to her attendance at Shep's birthday party was totally confounding to me. She'd made plans to go with Thomas, and I doubt anyone would have offered any skepticism whatsoever had she done that - no one would have raised an eyebrow about grandparents or nannies taking care of Kensie for the night. He bailed, she kept plans that she had made with him. Kensie was with Grandma for the night. No big deal , no foul . . . And, in light of the way Thomas has criticized Kathryn so far (like her intoxication and antics have somehow been *more* relevant and shameful to his candidacy than that of the candidate), I find his bomb-throwing at Cameran really perplexing . . . But, also, a note: Kensie's parents already *have* both been to jail. Kathryn didn't get sent to prison, but she did rack up a drunk and disorderly charge a while back, I believe.

• Love 6

Also, I didn't hear Thomas say that the commercials cost $150k. What the ----? There's no way the production on those spots should have tallied more than, like, less than half of that. I wonder if they're including ad buys in that figure. I also wonder what's up with Thomas blaming everyone (Kathryn, Whitney, Andy) for costing him X amount of dollars all the time.

turning 35-years-old is entering middle age?

No response needed really, I'm just shocked by the statement.

There are plenty of things she's perfectly capable of doing:

And she hasn't shown or expressed and serious desire to do any of them.

Whether or not Kathryn wants to do any of those things is not a reflection of lack of capability to do them. If she wants to pursue financial security via marriage, I do think she needs to learn to placate her partner better and baby him more

We agree!

Edited by selhars
  • Love 2

I think Kathryn gets the sideways glances from people due to how she tried to snag Thomas into marriage, or any of his rich friends. She abandoned college to be a party girl, the drunken escapade that got her arrested, and her apparent disinterest in doing anything career-wise. She has the resources to finish school while being a single mother, which not too many women her age do. Yet, she doesn't seem to care about doing anything for herself (and ultimately for her child). She assumed getting pregnant would come with a marriage proposal, but she picked the wrong guy for that. This episode made that harshly obvious. Thomas literally said he was getting a house in town to keep Kathryn happy and out of his hair. And that she and the baby need to shut up and leave him alone until Nov. 5. The thing is, I think most politicians are like that. I know one former Congressman personally, who felt the job was taking him away from his wife and kids, so he didn't run for re-election after two terms. I admired him greatly for that.

• Love 3

Last season it sounded like they were actively trying to get pregnant. Kathryn told the girls that when they were driving down to Shep's hunting cabin. She said they didn't use protection because they were both ready to be parents and that if it happened they'd probably get married right away. Thomas, too, went around telling everyone--including his preacher/minister--that Katheryn was a "fertile myrtle" and she was young, but together they would make the perfect Hugenot scion that he desired. IMO, by no means did Katheryn trap T-Rav. If anything, he may have mislead her by saying don't worry, I want a baby with you, and if it happens, we'll get married.

• Love 11

Oh, I agree JenE4. Thomas was on board for sure and I don't think Kathryn "trapped" him. That said, I do think she just saw security in him-and even Whitney and Shep honestly. Thomas was her number one pick but she would have been okay getting pregnant by any of the three of them as they all have a lot of money to support her with. That's what this is really about. I don't see her as madly in love with Thomas.

Thomas wanted that scion badly and he got it. But then he realized that Kathryn is actually kind of a pill to be around and he now longs for his freedom. He should treat her much better BUT she should learn to laugh and have some fun with him. They are a mess.

• Love 2

I didn't remember Thomas talking about trying to have a baby right away, so I apologize for misunderstanding Kathryn's motives. He said that if they could get through one month without fighting, he might marry her, but since that isn't happening.... what did he expect from someone half his age who isn't getting what she wants? She has no idea how to play hard to get in a way to pique his interest, so I seriously doubt this will ever work out.

I'm not ready to totally blame Sandy Duncan for the text message. I am betting Thomas dictated that to her and told her to send it to anyone who contacted him that wasn't associated with the debate. Especially if it was Kathryn, as long as nobody was sick or dying. Well, knowing Thomas, that might have been an intrusion as well.

• Love 1

I keep trying to figure out Landon's accent and now I'm starting to think it's more of a speech impediment than an accent. The more I listen to her it's almost like she can't move her mouth to properly enunciate? Anyone else getting that vibe?

• Love 1

Not impressed with the carriage house. The kitchen looks dated and tiny. I have that same cheap kitchen table and chairs in my kitchen, I bought it at Rooms to Go! Couldn't old money bags TRav done better for his baby mama? Maybe Kathryn was just happy to be back in the city. 

• Love 1

I was shocked by this new place compared to the first house Thomas lived in downtown.

I like Landon. I think she adds something to the show and actually fits into Charleston society, unlike Jenna.

The dog shelter scene was so adorable. I hope the poodle has found a home too, it was so cute! It's cute that Cameran's husband is obsessed with Standard Poodles, not a choice you hear about often. I like it! Not sure why but I am really surprised that her husband is ten years older than her.

Wish there was more JD this season.

Was wondering why Craig never liked Danni, then I realized she's too "old" for him. That guy is such a douche. Some people on here may like him but I see no redeeming qualities. He seems shallow as hell. Also, last episode he remarked that he has a more symmetrical face than Shep's "goofy" face, with a self-satisfied smirk. He has no clue I guess that Shep is 500x hotter than him.

• Love 7

Also, I didn't hear Thomas say that the commercials cost $150k. What the ----? There's no way the production on those spots should have tallied more than, like, less than half of that. I wonder if they're including ad buys in that figure. I also wonder what's up with Thomas blaming everyone (Kathryn, Whitney, Andy) for costing him X amount of dollars all the time.

It was part of the previews for next week. I guess Thomas finally figured out his middle-aged-man-"raise the roof"-trying-to-be-hip image wasn't working. Not exactly sure how that translated to him losing so much money, (maybe realizing that possible campaign donors were passing on him?) but the behind the scenes of candidacy/elections don't make that much sense to me.

• Love 1

turning 35-years-old is entering middle age?

Well, the current life expectancy for men in the US is 75, so I suppose 35 is getting close to "middle age" from a purely numerical standpoint. 

I keep trying to envision Craig and Kathryn living together....Craig's mess of a room, Kensie getting lost crawling around in the piles of clothes while Craig played video games, with Kathryn out having lunch or shopping. I don't see it happening. Kathryn almost needs as much attention and taking care of as her child does.

And yet he still might not be the worse option.................

• Love 2

But jesus, that's insane! I didn't see any jewels or anything to justify it being that much money, like Pat's diamond-encrusted shoes.

"It needs some bows or somethin'." TM Joan Cusack as Cyn in Working Girl.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

I kind of dig "Sandy Duncan from Hell" - she sounds like she knows what she's doing. However, she got MAJOR side-eye from me with that text message to Kathryn, so I tend to agree with cooks delight's take:

I'm not ready to totally blame Sandy Duncan for the text message. I am betting Thomas dictated that to her and told her to send it to anyone who contacted him that wasn't associated with the debate. Especially if it was Kathryn

• Love 3

I'm not ready to totally blame Sandy Duncan for the text message. I am betting Thomas dictated that to her and told her to send it to anyone who contacted him that wasn't associated with the debate. Especially if it was Kathryn, as long as nobody was sick or dying. Well, knowing Thomas, that might have been an intrusion as well.

But then she used his phone when she was timing his speech (after, I think, he asked her to use hers) bc she said she knew how to use his better than hers. Whaaaa? I don't trust or like her.

• Love 2

Heh heh, Whitney's "I officially disassociate myself from this campaign" sure sounded a lot like "You can't fire me because I quit." He was called in and told his ads would not be run, that Thomas wanted to present himself as a serious candidate, and that two of his paid staff members were of the opinion that Whitney's "Hollywood" film team were great and they wanted to retain them but essentially his commercial ideas sucked -- and the unsaid was that he wasn't needed anymore. HA! He was soooo pissed. Had to lash out and snark on Amy. Poor Whitney, still trying to find some credibility in some creative endeavor. Oh, and Kathryn was totally right about Whitney's ideas being lame. His whole rebellious "people will vote for T-Rav as an f-you to Congress" was so stupid and sounded like a 20-something rather than a 47-year-old.

It was a real mistake for Thomas to waste time and money on Whitney's dumb commercials in the first place. While his run was doomed from the first, he could have run a serious campaign that earned back a little of his political credibility. 

So we have Thomas in talking heads saying that he just needs to focus and wants to make Kathryn happy so he can concentrate on his campaign, and then after the election he'll try to pay more attention to her. What I'm wondering is, did he ever say those things to her? I mean, in real life people in relationships have to deal with schedule conflicts all the time. Busy work situations, travel, etc. Couples have to communicate and say, hey, I'm going to be really busy for the next month, but afterward we'll take a little break just for ourselves. I get the impression that Thomas wasn't willing to even promise Kathryn a post-election vacation. Wouldn't that have chilled out her need for attention somewhat? 

Anyone think Cameran was having Kathryn choose and try on rings in order to be able to guide Thomas if he did indeed want to surprise her with a ring later? If this weren't reality TV, I'd say that was what she was doing. But it was also so obviously for the cameras, and so Landon could talk about her now-empty ring finger.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 3

Another reality TV thing that just came across as so weird to me was Thomas' campaign open house at the plantation. I could see why he thought it was a good idea, but first of all, it was embarrassing how few people were there, and then 50% of the ones who were there probably were "Thomas Ravenel super fans" as Cameran dubbed them. They just wanted to get their taste of fame and maybe appear on camera for a nanosecond. Ok, in return for a nice bbq meal and chance to rub elbows with Thomas at his own home, he may have got their votes. I doubt most donated more than $50. I see why Kathryn wrinkled up her nose, but yes honey, having "common people" all up in your life and even your private home is political life. 

I do feel sorry for her. She just doesn't feel settled or stable in the relationship and, especially being a new mom, that must be so hard. 

• Love 1

I don't feel that sorry for Kathryn. She got involved with Thomas knowing full well he was going to try to run for Senate. For someone who majored in poli sci she really seems to have no idea how preparing for an election works, and how much time, work, and effort goes into that. Lots of campaign events and whether she wants to be part of them or not she (for all intents and purposes) is Thomas's girlfriend so she's kind of expected to be involved in at least the social aspects of things. I just don't think she understands the real work part of it. Thomas might be a shithead in communicating his needs at the moment, for his preparation but Kathryn can't say she was totally blindsided by this. She got her downtown carriage house, I think her best bet is to make the best of the situation, lean on her friends a bit more, and show up at Thomas's campaign events with a smile. And if she realizes that this is not what she wants, or can handle she could easily take a hike. I doubt TRav is gonna put a ring on it anyway, so she may as well cut her losses before things get too complicated. She could probably keep that carriage house downtown and Thomas would just go back to his plantation. I wouldn't be surprised if the carriage house was being paid for by Bravo anyway, and not from Thomas's funds. He seems to lately be a pretty absentee father, so if she were to end the relationship I doubt that too much would change, except for their pathetic stabs at trying to have a date night every now and then. Even though she (I guess) is part of Charleston's high society as an unwed mother doesn't mean that she has no prospects to find herself a good man who treats her (and Kensie) like they both deserve. Kathryn just keeps holding onto this pipe dream that she's going to be the one to tame the wild TRav....and I don't see it happening. They're just setting themselves up for a merry-go-round of fighting about the same issues over and over. When is enough enough?

• Love 2

I think Landon has such a cute smile and nice personality. She's very pretty and I just thought, if only Kathryn didn't get pregnant maybe Landon would have been a good match for Thomas. You never know. At least they're a *little* closer in age, ha. I'm guessing she's close to Shep's age if she knew him at college so maybe she's around 33?

It's astounding to me that no woman ever got knocked up by TRav before. How can that be??

This show really is the best reality show possible. I wish it would go on and on for years!

Which just means both she AND Thomas are delusional....two delusional people in a dysfunctional relationship...with a baby!

I agree.  Thomas wants Kathryn to be like this mother and Kathryn wants Thomas to be, I don't know, her bests friend.  What Kathryn needs to do is have her own friends, live her life, Thomas isn't going to acknowledge her in his campaign, she's not his wife, or his fiancee, she's a babymama, it's not right, but I think that's how Thomas sees it.  I don't think she wants to admit that to herself, Thomas may never marry her and she needs to deal with that possibility.  And she should be thankful she didn't get pregnant by Whitney, who I believe is a lot older than he says he is.  

And she should be thankful she didn't get pregnant by Whitney, who I believe is a lot older than he says he is.  

I cannot imagine this show if that had happened! It might have been even better. Although, yeah, as some said he likely would have pushed for an abortion. What would Patricia have thought of Kathryn as a daughter-in-law? Maybe the Calhoun name would have been enough. Kathryn is attractive and a good mama. As a couple they'd probably have hired six nannies and gone jet-setting around the world being bar stars. However, waking up hungover next to Whitney day after day? Shudder!

I think Kathryn will end up alone in that carriage house raising Kensie.  It's just so odd that Thomas' other residences have been so grand, and this one clearly looks no better than Craig's place.  What gives?  Is T-Rav staying somewhere else in town?  I also find it really hard to believe that he wouldn't take Kathryn's calls just because he was preparing for a debate.  What if something was happening with the baby?  "Sorry, I'll talk to you in 3 days after the debate?"  Huh? 

I do think that Kathryn should've taken his call at the party, there's no reason to act as juvenile as he is.  She was getting her night out on the town too in spite of his prep.  Last season, Thomas thought it would be good for a potential campaign to have a wife and an heir.  He's got the "heir" but seems to not want the wife.  I wonder if Kensie had been a boy if he'd be more open to marriage and showing them off during the campaign.

Landon was pretty blunt about Kathryn's prospects.  Sure, she's a single mom, but let's not forget, "she's a scion of one of South Carolina's oldest families" as Thomas used to say somewhat affectionately.  For what ever reason Kathryn wanted financial security at 21 and she's achieved that goal.  I have to wonder if Landon is a bit jealous of Kathryn's situation?  Which seems ridiculous, but Landon did pretty much the same thing at her age, except for the pregnancy part.  I would think Landon would be good at giving Kathryn advice because she's been in a long term relationship with an older guy that didn't work out.

Not much happened in this episode, Thomas is in hiding, Whitney's had his hand slapped and ran off to Europe, Grandpa Shep's another year older, Cameron wore another pretty outfit and the girls picked out jewelry   Ho hum.

I don't think Kathryn is necessarily ignorant about the demands of a campaign (though if she was, it would be understandable; her stint on the Lt. Gov's team was in the government office, right? Which is discrete from the campaign apparatus). She stated that she wanted to contribute in some capacity to Thomas's operation (and there would be no dearth of duties that she could perform as there's a lot of important but clerically oriented tasks in such initiatives) and that he basically told her that her place was at home caring for Kensie. She attended his functions from what's been broadcast only to elicit from Thomas a general projection of embarrassment and shame. That Thomas appears to be so committed to the narrative that Kathryn is unseemly and can't be trusted in public is really confounding to me because there are such obvious gaps in the logic there. South Carolina is a conservative state and it wouldn't do well to emphasize unmarried partnerships? Well, there's an obvious solution to that. Kathryn got a little intoxicated and read Whitney the riot act at an event? Um, wasn't it a Thomas-approved decision to film an ad spot featuring a beach party, which implicitly suggests boozing, women, and - in context here - drugs? Wasn't Thomas himself visibly drunk leaping out of a cab on camera last season to purchase a pregnancy test? And Kathryn was made out to be irrational and emotional in her criticism of said Raise the Roof clip by Thomas, Bryan, and Whitney until Amy/polling raised the same concerns and . . . suddenly the deconstruction is valid. I don't think I'd ever cry about a boyfriend spending significant time away from home were he running for statewide office . . . but I wonder if Kathryn was weeping about the generally Kafkaesque nature of the dynamic between herself and Thomas.

• Love 2

This show reminds me of how the housewife franchise used to be back in the mid years of the RHOC.  A nice mix of intergroup gatherings and also showing them in their day to day lives.  Plus, there are events with no huge blow-ups. 

It's an interesting study of how the nourve riche southern people live, fascinating.

• Love 2

I think Kathryn expected she'd be right there with Thomas at every event, on the campaign trail, etc., and that he'd be featuring her and Kensie right by his side and expressing his gratitude to her for her support.  She probably also expected he'd discuss strategy with her, too.

What she got was Thomas choosing to avoid mentioning her name or having her by his side whenever possible, which is almost all the time.  Not quite a dirty little secret, but very close.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

I think something happened along the way that made it evident Kathryn was just not going to be cut out for the job of being a politicians wife.

She probably wallowed in her pregnancy, didn't make any effort to play house to his standards (Dinner on the table, laundry taken care of, etc).

I don't know. I don't particularly like either one of them so I'm biased but what's the need for a nanny? Especially when you have one child? I'm glad they have the nanny, especially considering the way they like to throw back the alcohol but it's not like she works or is attending galas and charity events. The cameras do show her spending time with the baby but they also show her sitting on the couch texting, visitng craig or getting drunk at the bar while the nanny or her parents watch the baby.

If it were me, and it's not, and I wanted to be T-Ravs life partner, baby mama and wife, from day one I would have played my cards accordingly. Dinner on time, on the table, hot every day, no more making an ass of myself in public, house cleaned, spotless, conversations expressing genuine interest in my husbands career, volunteering in the community wherever and whenever I could.

I just don't think those things happened therfore no ring on the finger.

ETA: what's up with the wonky avatars or is it just me? Mine is not right and everyone else is Lucille Ball.

Edited by Mountainair

but I wonder if Kathryn was weeping about the generally Kafkaesque nature of the dynamic between herself and Thomas.

She does seem to be in a no-win situation. 

If it were me, and it's not, and I wanted to be T-Ravs life partner, baby mama and wife, from day one I would have played my cards accordingly. Dinner on time, on the table, hot every day, no more making an ass of myself in public, house cleaned, spotless, conversations expressing genuine interest in my husbands career, volunteering in the community wherever and whenever I could.

I agree, and yet, it does take two. I'm picking up that Thomas may be more of a drinker than we realize, and maybe something of a womanizer as well, especially "in his cups". If Kathryn played the "little wife" game well, she might still be stuck at home waiting for him to come home from whatever "important" event he was attending. He's not likely to treat her as an equal, and worse, Kathryn knows Thomas isn't "in love" with her. That hurts. She doesn't want to be waiting for a ring, trying to "earn" it, and I think that's what makes her so emotional and needy.

They have certain things in common but he's aware that they're not likely to make a strong marriage and he'd be in divorce court sooner or later, probably with Kathryn making huge financial demands. A solid pre-nup would help, though maybe he sees it would be easier to support Kensie than go through a rotten couple of years and then all the mess of divorce.

• Love 1

Except Kathryn had no desire to hook up with Craig when she was single. She went after and slept with the guys with money. Shep, Whitney, TRav.

Did she even have a job back then when she was single? I just think she's worthless. I can see how a man could grow very tired of her quicky. She does appear to be a decent mom, though. Let's hope so for Kensie's sake.

Yeah, Kathryn is all about Thomas' money and lifestyle which is partly why I chuckle and laugh during her meltdowns or when Thomas is frustrated with her. Their relationship is amusing in the saddest way possible. Classic case of "be careful of what you wish for..." on both parts. Smh.

Glad to hear Ellie was adopted, but I doubt Cam was really going to adopt either pet. As someone pointed out earlier, this just seem like "for show". I loved the over the shoulder "now what?" look that second dog gave the cameraman. Too funny.

• Love 1

For someone who majored in poli sci she really seems to have no idea how preparing for an election works, and how much time, work, and effort goes into that.

While I agree Kathryn should have a better idea of how campaigns work, TRav should too.  He announced late, let Whitney make stupid ads, and hired Amy and the on the phone media consultant late in the game.  In show time, we're at late September/early October (given the date of Cooper's gala), and that's mere weeks from the November 4th primary.  Hardly anyone, even with the biggest team of consultants and unlimited funds, can rehab a campaign inside of six weeks.  To me, the campaign is just a farce for plot on the show. He's always in Charleston or down on the coast at his plantation.  Why not Columbia or Savannah?  

Shep's birthday party seemed a bit lady laden.  If he's not hooking up with any of them, why weren't there more guy friends there to have a meet up/hook up?  Has he been friend zoned by every woman there?

• Love 1