Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E05: Disney Songs Night

• Start Topic

Hey all... My first time commenting this season... I have to say that last night's Disney night was hit and miss for me...  Some of the song choices made me scratch my head but I don't fault the pros for that.  I also had to scratch my head at some of the rehearsal packages being shown.  Is the writing on the wall for some of these contestants?

Rumer & Val - I detected a lot of samba steps.  Sure, it was missing the traditional samba bounce/feel but couldn't that be attributable to song choice and execution on Rumer's part .  And I think people are misconstruing the Val comment saying that the tango would be too limiting... Think back to the critiques people were giving Val and Rumer.  Before, the critique for them was most of their dances were dark, intense and in some aspects, one-note.  Even Anna on After-Buzz said that their waltz was similar to their foxtrot from Week 1. If they did the tango then wouldn't the critique been the same?  I think people would have questioned how come they couldn't do something light and and fun. In the beginning it was reported that they would do the tango and then it got changed to the samba. In that rehearsal package it looked that Rumer was driving the song choice and character choice, if that is the case, would it be safe to assume that Rumer was driving the dance choice as well?  In spite of all that, I thought Val did a great job choreography-wise.  I think the fault lies with Rumer in how she executes these steps. She is really stiff/strong in her upper body which does not allow for that loose swaying and bounce that the samba dictates.  Also the staging was quite unfortunate because the cauldron, smoke and camera work hid the samba footwork so if you weren't paying close attention, people would have missed some of the steps.  Not understanding Emma's comment that there was hardly any samba content because I detected the following:

0:10-0:14 It is hard to see behind the cauldron but carioca runs as Rumer picks up the two beakers...

0:23-0:25 Rolling of the Arm (she only does 1/2 of the movement and doesn't complete the roll back out)

0:28-0:30 Samba Locks

0:30-0:32 Rock Step

0:40-0:43 Carioca Runs

0:43:0:45 Maypole

0:45-0:47 Samba Locks

0:47-0:48 Stationary Samba Walk

0:51-0:55 Promenade to a Counter Promenade run

1:07-1:11 Reverse Samba Roll in Shadow position

1:19-1:21 Batucada

So note to Emma, there was quite a lot of Samba in there.  Oh well...it was a valiant effort if a tad overscored.

Ms. Patti & Artem - That yellow looked gorgeous on her... I admire her pushing through despite her injury. She really does fill the ballroom with her presence and it is captured on screen as well.  LIke Bruno said, the routine was simple but executed well.

Chris & Witney - That rehearsal package rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't get bringing Alfonso back.  Way to let your current partner know that he falls short in so many ways.  I think it just showed a lack of awareness on Witney's part. She needs to simplify her routines and get back to the whole having fun bit.  In their rehearsals, I've noticed that she's teaching them the routine/choreography and not necessarily how to dance.  Like Julianne said, take some time to practice counting to the music... I feel like we may be seeing the back of Chris soon and very soon if he doesn't improve his dancing and his attitude.

Noah & Sharna - I really enjoyed it though I would have loved to see Noah danced this with a prosthetic arm.  However,  if he isn't comfortable then there's nothing we can do about that.  I did notice that Sharna did a lot of dancing around him so I would love for the next routine to have more dancing on his end. And special kudos to the band for butchering one of my favorite Disney songs.

Willow & Mark - I want them to go back to a stripped down dance with no big production now.  I really didn't like this routine.  Like not at all. It made me uncomfortable to see Willow dressed so young and if you knew the background of Alice in Wonderland and its author, then you would think wow... Why did they make a Disney movie out of that.  I was reminded of Willow's age (I'm reminded every week even though people on the show would like to convince me otherwise) but I agree with Len, I thought she got lost again.  Mark gets points for being creative but I just want him to scale it back from here on out... Just focus on Willow's dancing and not make a production out of it. 

Nastia & Derek - Another routine that I didn't like but to be fair, I literally thought that they were going to go into hold and do a ballroom dance after seeing their costumes... It wasn't until halfway I asked myself if this was a jazz routine.. I don't know... it was confusing.  And here is another song that the band butchered so I was distracted by that.  I see Nastia begin to show her 'fun, happy side.' Maybe the switch in practice partners (From Henry to Sasha) had something to do with it. I am waiting for Nastia & Derek to wow me.

Robert & Kym - Poor Robert... He doesn't do well with fast-paced dances.  That quickstep was just too quick for him. And it wasn't just starting on the wrong foot, he was off-beat for most of the dance.  Had it not been for Kym grabbing him in hold, I think it would have been even worse.  He also needs to work on not bunching his shoulders when he's in hold.  Hopefully, his fans will come out and keep him in because it was rather unfortunate and you can tell that he really wants to be there.

Riker & Allison - More and more I see of Riker, the more pity I feel for him because the fault does not lie with him this week (nor for any of the past weeks).  It is become readily apparent that Allison is not cut out to be a pro on this season... Not a teaching pro.  She throws everything but the kitchen sink in all of her routines that it is hard for me to focus on one move.  As a result, their routines always turns out to be somewhat jerky and just too chaotic.  As others have said, his pigeon toes drove me notes but more importantly, the paso is about intensity and sometimes intensity requires everything to be slowed down a bit so you can see the fluidity of the arm movements and really appreciate the flamenco aspects of the dance.

Suzanne & Tony - So there was an article released earlier that hinted that Suzanne was ready to quit or was ready to leave.  Once I saw that, I was like oh no... what is going on?  I was kind of meh on her based on last week's revisionist foxtrot but this week's rehearsal package had me scratching my head. In her defense, I thought her fanbase big enough to overcome Chris but I guess not.

Edited by Supersonic
  • Love 5

So glad Chrissy Snow is GONE!   She is so irritating in every way possible. Didn't she have some fued with John Ritter because she thought her untaleted butt should be paid more?   

I will never get her popularity. She couldn't act, and was hired for Three's Company because of T&A,  She never had a pretty face, and now with all of the plastic surgery, lip injections and whatever else she takes, she looks grossly ugly.  

She also has an annoying personality, and never really danced.

It irritated me that the judges gave her 7's, when she barely moved and tripped.  Robert was not in time, but he at least tried, and didnt' look like he was having a pitty party like Suzzane.

Rumor Willis sure has had some good plastic surgery!  Poor girl, she used to look just like Bruce Willis, no dimension or features, just looks like an oval flat face with hair.   She seems nice enough, and tries hard.    I don't blame her for fixing that face she was born with .

• Love 2

Welp, bye Chrissy Snow!

And Suzanne Somers finds out once and for all that ABC will not play re: the "I should just leave" package before they danced last night.

I was prepared to cut her a lot of slack, especially since I read last week she was the "best man" at Barry Manilow and his husband's wedding. In other words, maybe she's a nice person off-camera. Every time someone referred to her as a TV "icon", though, I wanted to scream. Betty White is a TV icon. Mary Tyler Moore is a TV icon. Suzanne Somers is not. And it's insulting to the massive talent and staying power of multiple actors and actresses who can get a show on the air with just their name (still) to call her one.

Speaking of icons, I'm wondering how DWTS is going to write off -- oops, vote out Patti LaBelle, who has to be one of the most popular stars ever featured on the program. I'm betting her exit will be blamed on her injury. And I am pissed that Chris Soules will probably outlast her.

Erin Andrews must have really pissed off someone in wardrobe this week. That dress wasn't up to the usual standard.

• Love 2

Lastly, as someone who has lost three close female relatives to breast cancer, a big FUCK YOU to Suzanne and her hormones.  I'll take my wrinkles, hot flashes, and saggy skin and stay alive, thank you very much.*

*Not intended as a judgment on women who do take hormones--I get that some women need them for medical reasons.  Just not interested in hearing about how normal female aging is something that needs "curing," even at the expense of possible early death.

:Applauds wildly: I realize I have an issue with Suzanne Somers anyway, but I heard that last night and my mouth dropped open! Is she JOKING? As one of those post-menopausal chicks, doctors stopped prescribing hormones to women in menopause because they kill your ass via breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, etcetera!

It's a live show but one has to wonder if their 15 to 30 second delay just got increased by a few seconds this morning...

• Love 1

Chris and his Whitney went out to dinner with Witney, Alfonso and his wife a while back, so it's not like Alfonso is a total stranger to him. I think it was a good idea to bring him in to lighten the mood a bit, since Chris seems to be taking things way too seriously. And I'm sure he had some good pointers about how to handle the show.

• Love 1

Chris, you will never be the man Noah is. Grow up.

It was pretty dusty in our family room when Noah and Sharna took the floor to dance and the entire audience was on its feet throughout. I can't imagine how proud of him his fiancee is.

That was the real Suzanne Somers in the video package - claws and all.  It would have been an injustice if she stayed - over someone who was more deserving and truly wanted to be there.  I personally don't think she has aged well.

I think Chris Soules needs to go - this is way out of his league.  I would love to see Rumer Willis win.

• Love 6

How can you criticize Noah without sounding mean?

I know. While I think he's gorgeous, I had to turn the channel during his dance, I just could not watch it for so many reasons.

I turn channels right after the dances because I can't stand the judges, Erin or the scores, so I was pretty stunned last night when I turned back at the end and saw Robert at the bottom. The heck? The Robert I saw was dancing like crazy and working his heart out, unlike a few others mentioned here already who weren't exactly what I call "dancing." My blood pressure thanks the creator of the remote control.

Was it Artem who got carried away by the background dancers at the end of his routine? I shouted "LIFT!" at my tv and was waiting for CAI to dock points for it.

• Love 1

Julianne just rambles without actually contributing anything. This show would be SO much better sans those two clowns.

I think she's sometimes the ONLY person that will give them critique with a tip or pointer that will really help the dancer later on without dumbing it down or constantly feeling the need to stand up to "demonstrate" (coughBrunocough.)  When Len leaves, she'll be the one with the most ballroom training compared to CAI and Bruno so as much as I'm not really a fan of hers, I do think dancers and pros are more likely to respond to her comments.

• Love 2

Wish someone had done a waltz to "Once Upon a Dream" from Sleeping Beauty this week.

Or even "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo." My issue with the "songs" in Disney films post-Walt is that so few of them are actually songs but rather exposition set to music. "Love is an open door" is a perfect example of this. So is "Let it Go" for that matter. And I don't know what in the holy heck Mark and Willow were dancing to.

• Love 1

I thought it was really unfortunate and beyond rude that Erin interrupted Val when he was trying to graciously thank the makeup department and she had to bring on Minnie Mouse (which was really pretty dumb and totally fell flat). 

I agree! Makeup definitely had their work cut out for them this week and I thought it was great how Val was giving them a heartfelt thank you on the live broadcast...only to be cut off by Erin just HAVING to introduce Rumer to Minnie Mouse (i.e., a person in a character costume).

• Love 4

Chris and his Whitney went out to dinner with Witney, Alfonso and his wife a while back, so it's not like Alfonso is a total stranger to him. I think it was a good idea to bring him in to lighten the mood a bit, since Chris seems to be taking things way too seriously. And I'm sure he had some good pointers about how to handle the show.

Yeah and Alfonso said on All Access that he and Chris were texting to see if he was going to dance because he said he walked in on them yesterday(Sunday) when he first injured his calf. Plus Alfonso and Witney were rehearsing this weekend for the 10th Anniversary special.

"Alice's Theme", by Danny Elfman, from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

I love that song. Probably why I liked their dance so much. There were some awful songs last night.

Val basically disappeared in he and Rumer's samba last night. Way to showcase your partner! I hate these huge production numbers where you can't even find then"star". Please do away with added dancers!!

This. What I love about Rumer is she can carry the entire piece as the centrepiece. Other dances we've seen with the troupe is so much of the troupe excellence and not so much the star who often fades into the patchwork. Rumer commands the attention. It was evident in the Disco Salsa and last night as well.  Rumer could be on broadway right now she's that confident in her movement.  

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 6

Suzanne:  If she hadn't gone this week, her "I don't think I can stay" would have cut her votes for next week.  She seemed more in character in this dance than any of her previous dances. Oh well.  It seems the hostilities between Tony + CAI have reheated? He couldn't even look her way as she was talking.

Robert: Loved the concept and the song, too bad it didn't work out. First, after Kym flies in, I was distracted by stagehands getting the ropes/coat off her instead of watching the chimney sweeps dancing.  It was only after watching a second time that I realized one of those sweeps was Robert.  They seemed to have started dancing on beat. Could be Robert backstepping from the sweeps dance to Kym, he just got confused. Unfortunate.  Was CAI trying to be cute? That was a little mean. I don't think the dance was so disasterous as to warrant all 6s.

Patti:  I didn't mind the animations during the opener or bumpers but I really don't like them when the couples are dancing.  Very pretty dance for her, though I don't know if she was supposed to lift both feet at the very end. At least CAI didn't go into lift-police mode.

Willow:  Loved this. I don't know what CAI was babbling about losing her footing in hold. I didn't see it and Peta on All-Access didn't either. I thought the 8s were a little low considering some major overscoring for the last group of dances.

Chris:  So Chris is frustrated and snaps at Witney and she goes to whine to someone that she feels like a bad teacher and then calls in Alfonso to give her student a pep talk? Very childish behaviour on her part. They both look like they've had enough. I noticed even in the opening lineup of the couples, Witney couldn't hardly muster a smile. Time to go home.

Noah: Sharna sure emoted the heck out of this song.  I think there were more closeups of her than of Noah. Not much else to say here.

Riker:  He sure channels Capt. Sparrow - he was hilarious in character with Emma on All-Access.  Too bad Riker couldn't have danced that with someone else. Allison looked out of control, flinging herself this way and that and at one point it looked like she pulled him off balance.  Riker deserved the 10s, Allison brought the scores down IMO.  That said, there is something weird about Riker's feet. Pigeon-toed? Maybe. Not sure.

Rumer:  I think we've got a theme started here. Last week the waltz that didn't seem like a waltz. This week the samba that didn't seem like a samba.   Once again, too staccato, too hard, too aggressive.  It was only the intro in the pool that gave the dance context. Waaaay overscored.

Nastia:  A little too sickly sweet for my taste. Not buying this sudden display of "chemistry" but I guess we'll see if they can continue it next week.  Not sure what the lip synching talk was about - most of the couples were doing it for at least part of their dances.  I feel like I just keep seeing the same moves over and over again.

• Love 2

Hey all... My first time commenting this season... I have to say that last night's Disney night was hit and miss for me...  Some of the song choices made me scratch my head but I don't fault the pros for that.  I also had to scratch my head at some of the rehearsal packages being shown.  Is the writing on the wall for some of these contestants?

Rumer & Val - I detected a lot of samba steps.  Sure, it was missing the traditional samba bounce/feel but couldn't that be attributable to song choice and execution on Rumer's part .  And I think people are misconstruing the Val comment saying that the tango would be too limiting... Think back to the critiques people were giving Val and Rumer.  Before, the critique for them was most of their dances were dark, intense and in some aspects, one-note.  Even Anna on After-Buzz said that their waltz was similar to their foxtrot from Week 1. If they did the tango then wouldn't the critique been the same?  I think people would have questioned how come they couldn't do something light and and fun. In the beginning it was reported that they would do the tango and then it got changed to the samba. In that rehearsal package it looked that Rumer was driving the song choice and character choice, if that is the case, would it be safe to assume that Rumer was driving the dance choice as well?  In spite of all that, I thought Val did a great job choreography-wise.  I think the fault lies with Rumer in how she executes these steps. She is really stiff/strong in her upper body which does not allow for that loose swaying and bounce that the samba dictates.  Also the staging was quite unfortunate because the cauldron, smoke and camera work hid the samba footwork so if you weren't paying close attention, people would have missed some of the steps.  Not understanding Emma's comment that there was hardly any samba content because I detected the following:

0:10-0:14 It is hard to see behind the cauldron but carioca runs as Rumer picks up the two beakers...

0:23-0:25 Rolling of the Arm (she only does 1/2 of the movement and doesn't complete the roll back out)

So note to Emma, there was quite a lot of Samba in there.  Oh well...it was a valiant effort if a tad overscored.

I guess since Louis Van Amstel, the multiple world champion professional dancer also rated Team Valenrue's samba 1st for overall choreography and dance content, I'll just go along with his opinion!

• Love 4

Was the live audience booing Suzanne or booing that she was in the bottom?  I kind of felt like they were booing her.  

I saw a lot of lip synching too.  Whatever, I guess.  

I didn't think anything about Alfonso being trotted out.  I remember they used to do things all the time like bring their star to Sea World to watch the seals and other ridiculous little 'lessons' to plump up a package.  

It's not just the dances that Nastia seems to have little personality in, it's the whole show.  Does she not say much in the rehearsal packages or something?  

"Alice's Theme", by Danny Elfman, from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

To me, that is NOT Alice in Wonderland.   Alice In Wonderland is the sweet movie I grew up with, not anything by Tim Burton.

Hey everyone!

I heard that Emma was critical of Val & Rumer's samba on All Access, but can't seem to find the clip on line. Does anyone know what exactly she said? 

If that's the case, I may have to start watching All Access lol. 

I can forgive big huge production numbers on Disney night because that is why the show does Disney night.  If you're going to do it, that's the night to do it. They want the pros and celebs to go all out and pimp it to high heavens.  However when every week becomes a huge production with troupe members all over the stage it gets a bit much.  I know over the last few seasons DWTS has become increasingly about this, but I kind of miss the days when the couples had to live or die by their own dancing.  Sure there were always props and female pros gyrating around their unmoving partners, but generally when you saw those things it was a red flag that it was because the person couldn't dance.  I miss the days when you could watch an entire partnership over the course of a season without ever once seeing an extra dancer in their numbers (unless it was like trios or something like that).

Also while I think Val is normally one of the best choreographers on the show, as much as it pains me to admit it, I'm not feeling his choreography so far this season.  Perhaps it's just because he's trying to choreograph dances to music that doesn't fit?  I'm not entirely sure.  It also really pains me to admit I think his choreography was much stronger last season with Janel.  I couldn't stand Janel's dancing (or Janel in general), but I thought his choreography was strong outside of their weepy freestyles.   I still can't really figure it out though because I like Rumer and think she's a stronger dancer than Janel ever was. 

I actually wonder if it's something as superficial as the songs and stories they've been given to interpret. Last season Val and Janel asked for and were given very accessible/mainstream songs and concepts that could more easily draw the audience in. I looked back on all their songs and they never got a weird or difficult to interpret song- except maybe the opening jive to Bang, Bang. They danced to things like West Side Story, Romeo and Juliet, cute foxtrot to pop song, on and on. They were really blessed they were given beautiful songs with romantic storylines so that even when Janel's dancing was subpar audiences could still engage in the story.

This year Val and Rumer's songs have been sometimes not as engaging or very similar to each other. The opening foxtrot to Take Me to Church was beautiful. But everything since has been a little downbeat, similar in style, or doesn't draw you into a storyline as easily.

His choreography actually still goes with the songs he's been given it's just harder to enjoy as an audience member bc the song choices themselves haven't been as easy.

Edited by missysays
  • Love 1

The only dances I liked were Patti's (yes Patti) and Riker.  I just love Patti and Artem as a partnership.  She seems to take it all in stride.I am not an Allison fan, but I liked her in this dance.

I am not an Allison fan, but I liked her in this dance.

The dance was hyper-fast, a bit too fast to really appreciate and display all the technical moves, but there was a part where she spun in super-rapid succession (while he "twirled" her) and I thought it looked really cool.  :)

• Love 1

This year Val and Rumer's songs have been sometimes not as engaging or very similar to each other. The opening foxtrot to Take Me to Church was beautiful. But everything since has been a little downbeat, similar in style, or doesn't draw you into a storyline as easily.

Rumer danced to Turn the Beat Around, pretty upbeat I'd say,  and Rumer Has it was perfect for her Cha Cha, I agree that  Turning Tables not so much a Waltz as I think the lyric spoke to her and her struggle with bullying,  and finally I loved her as the Villain in Poor Unfortunate Souls, it was the performance and the content that grabbed me. I had no idea who Ursala was, now I do.

I loved the concept, the staging, and the performance level of Rumer's dance. The dancing itself looked slightly sloppier to my eyes than I feel like we've seen her do before, but thats holding her to a high standard. Also not sure that I love sambas in general? But I thought it was great. (And so glad the rumor that they'd be doing it to a terrible Jonas Brothers brat punk version of that song was off base.) And yay Val as Flotsam or Jetsam. 

On first watch I was blown away by Riker's dance. On second watch, eesh, there was a lot of messy in there. I think he got helped out by the song and the staging a lot - I'd forgotten how fun the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack is. I agree with whoever mentioned that it just feels like Allison is Pushing. So. Hard. All. The. Time. Every dance shouldn't feel like a sprint - I want to see them do a soft, gentle dance with plenty of space to breathe.

Derek & Nastia were a little on the nose in that performance, but honestly, I don't know what else you could do to that song. It's pure musical theater exposition. And it looks like Rob Wade was dead set on someone getting it, and I thought they did a good job with what they had. They looked like they could be performing that in one of the parks tomorrow. And I think it was good for Nastia to get to be silly and giggly, and do something that didn't put her in "competition mindset." Hopefully a stepping stone to getting her to express more in dances. 

Willow was the most perfect casting for Alice. And I don't like Suzanne, and happy she's gone, but if I was going to pick any Disney character for her to be, Peg from Lady and the Tramp is dead on. So good job on casting, producers, it worked out for a lot of them. 

• Love 1

I can't stand Tim Burton and won't watch his version of Alice in Wonderland, one of my favorites. That said, it is kind of nightmarish in the original, too. I thought Mark's choreography was fantastic. I generally enjoy Derek, too, but this season it's Mark's choreo that I've looked forward to much more.

I wouldn't mind the "cast of thousands", if it was at least limited to only two (or three) uses per couple, per season (maybe not including the finale). Some are genuinely breathtaking, but not if its every week. And I felt bad for Robert because I thought it was a cute and ambitious number that he somehow got off time to from the beginning--sold it well, made a great Burt, but just couldn't get back his rhythm. He deserved more than 6s though, imo..

• Love 1
Rumer:  I think we've got a theme started here. Last week the waltz that didn't seem like a waltz. This week the samba that didn't seem like a samba.   Once again, too staccato, too hard, too aggressive.  It was only the intro in the pool that gave the dance context. Waaaay overscored.

Let's not forget the foxtrot that wasn't a foxtrot and the salsa that was more disco than salsa.  Then, next week, they have jazz which is basically a freestyle.

• Love 1

Let's not forget the foxtrot that wasn't a foxtrot and the salsa that was more disco than salsa.  Then, next week, they have jazz which is basically a freestyle.

I actually wonder if it's something as superficial as the songs and stories they've been given to interpret. Last season Val and Janel asked for and were given very accessible/mainstream songs and concepts that could more easily draw the audience in. I looked back on all their songs and they never got a weird or difficult to interpret song- except maybe the opening jive to Bang, Bang. They danced to things like West Side Story, Romeo and Juliet, cute foxtrot to pop song, on and on. They were really blessed they were given beautiful songs with romantic storylines so that even when Janel's dancing was subpar audiences could still engage in the story.

His choreography actually still goes with the songs he's been given it's just harder to enjoy as an audience member bc the song choices themselves haven't been as easy.

These are very valid points and It makes me wonder who is driving the song choice.  I know people say that the pros submit their lists about what songs they want to choreograph too but I also know that Val has a history of deferring to his partner a lot on song choice (remember Elizabeth and Cher week?).  Furthermore, with this being disney week, I wonder what songs they got clearance for and there have been too many changes (they were originally slated to do a tango but switched to the samba) while other times the song choices are producer driven (remember Val and Janel during Broadway week wherein there was a possibility they couldn't use the song unless he changed the choreography?).   Just as I typed this, Afterbuzz's Kristyn Burtt's voice popped up in my head shouting, "This is a highly produced show."  Maybe because it is true. 

I'm pretty sure the Pirates of the Carribean theme is actually in 12/8. I'll say that I've seen people who know what they're doing choreograph Paso to that piece.

To clarify on Val and Rumer's samba, I didn't really have a problem with the content. I was just singularly underwhelmed by the execution and technique. But again, the stars' samba technique is *always* underwhelming at the best. And I am admittedly holding her and the other contenders to a separate standard. Which may or may not be fair.

Hmmm because Anna on this week's Afterbuzz agreed that it was a Viennese Waltz. Doesn't mean that you can't do a Paso to it if you know what you're doing though. I could swear Derek in his season with Kellie did a flamenco routine, with a stripped down version of the theme as well?

EDIT: I'm not calling you out I swear. It's just Derek's performance stuck out in my brain when saw Riker's.... and then reading all the comments here I got confused because I am in no way a dance expert- though correct me if I'm wrong doesn't Paso have Flamenco elements to it?

Edited by Cirien

Okay, I've managed to finally watch all of this week's dances with the exception of Suzanne's, as I knew she was toast so didn't bother.

Riker: Really tried to watch this one with an open mind, as I LOVE Yulia Zagoruychenko and Max Kozhevnikov's "Pirates" paso and knew this could never measure up (YouTube it, it's awesome). However, I still didn't like it. I don't find any light and shade in Allison's choreography at all. Everything is still too frenetic and although in Riker this season she's got a partner that can keep up, he is capable of something much more refined. Her frame is not good at all and that also ruins it somewhat for me.

Rumer: her performance quality is there and there was samba content but I wonder if she wasn't fully confident in herself this week. She barely attempted the batucadas at the end, for example. I also agree her top line wasn't quite fluid enough and I thought she struggled with some of the hip action. I also think Val didn't check any of his movements, which meant Rumer suffered a bit in comparison. I wasn't quite sure why the troupe needed to show up at the end but at this point I figure they all must have a "minutes per show" quota worked into their contracts...

Nastia: This one was weird. I didn't like the "straight from the movie" feel of the choreography but didn't mind the lip syncing, until it got to the end. I would have preferred if it had ended before the proposal, as I thought that was a time waster that didn't add anything. Some of the direction/camera work was a bit dodgy, maybe that's Derek not being at camera blocking and therefore not able to micro manage the process? I don't know, it all seemed a little half-baked. I still don't really feel Nastia either - she should be able to give something more as for the last few years she's also been an NBC commentator so has slightly more strings to her bow than just being an ex-elite gymnast.

Willow: I spied a little repeat choreography from Mark's waltz with Chelsea Kane! It was a little hard to read as a foxtrot but apparently it got changed from Viennese waltz so maybe Mark successfully argued that it wasn't a waltz time signature but had already done some of the choreo so left it in? I'm not sure what Carrie Ann was going on about, although Willow can clean up her footwork a bit, it was generally good and I definitely didn't see any stumbles. Her top line can clean up a bit as well but she did enough to convince that she shouldn't have any issues with the quickstep or Viennese Waltz. I'm sure the show is encouraging Mark to go there with the production and choreography but the fact that he commits so whole-heartedly brings it to life. Credit to Willow as well for buying in. I'm a little afraid though that the quality of what "mad scientist" Mark has produced so far (and the fact people are talking about it) will make it difficult for them to strip back now. I think the show will continue to want the bombastic numbers from them. Hopefully once they go to 2 dances a week there will be room for balance.

Noah: Has the perfect partner in Sharna. That pep talk was amazing. Although clearly he couldn't do a textbook foxtrot, I thought what he did do was fine. This season is interesting to me as although there's a clear top four in terms of dance ability, there are three potential spoilers in Noah, Robert and Patti.

Robert: Bless Kym and her classy standard choreography. i thought this was one dance where the troupe actually saved the day as it may have been even more of a train wreck if they hadn't been there to distract. Robert keeps going though and sells the crap out of it, he definitely seems to follow the principle of "fake it til you make it." I don't buy into the showmance stuff and wasn't particularly impressed with Kym in the footage I saw of the DWTS tour but having her back this season has reminded me of what a good choreographer, mentor and partner she is.

Chris: The exact opposite of Robert and Kym. Leaving aside the costuming (ew), I thought their height difference really showed. Chris is also so flat footed and in his head it's almost painful. I also wonder about Witney's standard ballroom experience - when compared to Kym's lovely shapes, her choreography fell short.

Patti: Reminded me of a charismatic older woman paired with the ballroom dance instructor on a cruise. Sweet, simple and classy but also very careful and contained. It's shown another side of Artem but perhaps it's because there is no pressure to create as Patti can only handle the most basic choreography and she doesn't need a gimmick to sell it.

Suzanne: didn't watch the dance and she wasn't ever my favourite so not really fussed that she's gone. I was too young for Three's Company but can still hum the Step by Step theme so would totally be on the Patrick Duffy train if the show could get him!

• Love 1

EDIT: I'm not calling you out I swear. It's just Derek's performance stuck out in my brain when saw Riker's.... and then reading all the comments here I got confused because I am in no way a dance expert- though correct me if I'm wrong doesn't Paso have Flamenco elements to it?

I know exactly what you're saying. Every time I play the Riker Paso in my head I keep seeing the Derek/Kellie Flamenco, then I have to remind myself that it's a different performance even though the music sounds very similar. The thing is great dancers can find the proper rhythm in anything and dance to it. Every time.  (That is not to say you can do a waltz to Jive music!! haha) That's why that Samba was great. Many female celebrities can't even find the rhythm even with proper samba music but this one was slow and you have to be very familiar with the tune in order to find the samba beat to it. I don't know if it was Rumer's natural sense of rhythm or Val's training but I was surprised how well she was on that beat.

As for free and loose upper body movements, this also generally doesn't come easy to the women in the Samba but only two female celebrities have managed to come close so far ever since I started watching  - Mya/Dimitri's 70's Samba and Val/Zendaya's 2nd Samba. Even the female winners don't have good Sambas. Not Kristi, not Shawn not even Nicole or even Kellie Pickler.

I guess since Louis Van Amstel, the multiple world champion professional dancer also rated Team Valenrue's samba 1st for overall choreography and dance content, I'll just go along with his opinion!

Thank you so much for this! I'm going to watch it and finally see if I can identify the Samba moves.  The show used to do little primers before the dance in the early seasons to show the moves that the judges were looking for.  I wish they would bring that back. 

• Love 2

Patti:  I didn't mind the animations during the opener or bumpers but I really don't like them when the couples are dancing.  Very pretty dance for her, though I don't know if she was supposed to lift both feet at the very end. At least CAI didn't go into lift-police mode.

Lifts must have been allowed for the sake of the big productions or something, because there were several and none were called out. In addition to Patti at the end of her waltz, Chris carried Witney down the stairs like a bride toward the beginning of their dance, and the troupe picked Rumer up by the arms and carried her over Val's head to the stage.

A few people asked about Emma's comments re: Rumer's dance on All Access.   I think she basically just said the routine didn't have the samba feel or the samba bounce?   Emma seemed to think Riker had the dance of the night and Rumer overscored a tad.  In general Emma has a way of being critical without being mean and she's pretty open to critique everyone.  Last week she talked about how Riker's frame was too high in his tango and I think had some criticisms for Allison's tango choreography.  So it's also not like she has one horse in this race that she will always back. 

But either way Emma's opinion is Emma's opinion and Louis's opinion is his opinion.  It's not like Emma isn't qualified enough to discuss ballroom dance.  Louis rated Rumer highest in terms of dance content/choreography and Riker highest for best performance/production value, but both were 1 & 2 on both lists and Louis doesn't explain his lists at all to really get an understanding for his thinking.  I liked it better when he actually wrote about the dances.

I do think Rumer has at least driven a few of their song choices, so perhaps it really just is that Rumer's choice in songs are a lot harder to choreograph for than the stuff Janel chose last season.  I definitely think Rumer chose Turning Tables as she's covered that song before and it was story week. 

Edited by spanana

I'm not sure why people are saying there wasn't much Samba, there was a lot in my estimation, even though the tune was difficult for Samba they managed samba walks, voltas, botofogo, samba run and the samba roll.. all done pretty well.  The only miss was perhaps the bachacata at the end. But the performance for me was outstanding by Rumer, she really brought the over the top villan character to life.  

Agree with your post and wanted to add, she 'sold' the performance so well... and to me, it seemed like she had loads of fun as Ursula. She's a different kind of woman. Don't think her idea of 'fun' in a routine is the same as most contestants. To me, it has made for a very interesting season with this pair.

Mark's choreo/production deserves a shout-out, and I join so many others in admiration of his work.  I worry a bit about FS ending up being same old as so many numbers by several Pros this season would have been awesome FS in previous seasons, production-wise. As for Riker, oh, what could he be doing if partnered with someone who could give him specific refinements to technique and provide more light/shade in choreo? Seems to me, Alison is a very lucky pro. Nastia is beautiful to watch in movement, but between a hideous song and to me, uninspired, often recycled choreo...Meh. I wonder if Chris was hoping to go home instead of Suzanne?

• Love 1

Yes on both. And re Erin, one minute she is rushing the couple through to get the scores because because we are running short, and then she keeps the next couple waiting while she talks to a mute Disney character.

I like Disney okay but who do the producers think is watching this show? Three year olds? Really over the top cloying this season.

Sharna was absolutely amazing in her carefully unsympathetic down-to-earth "Buck up, buddy" speech to Noah when he was really having trouble in rehearsal, physically and psychologically; it made me and Mr MML cry and love them both. When Witney tried to help Chris, he instead snapped at her. Chris, you will never be the man Noah is. Grow up.

Responding to the bolded comments of your post.

They probably hope the preferred 18-49, then 25-54 age demographics groups are watching. Beyond that, I'm not sure who they care about as viewers.

Disney is 1 of the corporate owners of ABC (but I can't remember if the combined corporate name is Disney-ABC or ABC-Disney); it has been for a number of years now. I would guess that's how the Disney theme night came about on DWTS, as opposed to pandering to families watching the shows about taking Disney trips when they may not realize there's a Disney/ABC connection; but it came about rather belatedly compared to other DWTS theme nights.

They probably hope the preferred 18-49, then 25-54 age demographics groups are watching. Beyond that, I'm not sure who they care about as viewers.

Disney is 1 of the corporate owners of ABC (but I can't remember if the combined corporate name is Disney-ABC or ABC-Disney); it has been for a number of years now. I would guess that's how the Disney theme night came about on DWTS, as opposed to pandering to families watching the shows about taking Disney trips when they may not realize there's a Disney/ABC connection; but it came about rather belatedly compared to other DWTS theme nights.

I know the Disney-ABC connection and appreciate that this show panders to that (and to the Bachelor, its co-ABC show). I just thought this season the level of characters bouncing in and out, whether in costume or superimposed animations, would appeal to preschoolers and wonder why they flooded us with them. It's a very confused show overall.

I know the Disney-ABC connection and appreciate that this show panders to that (and to the Bachelor, its co-ABC show). I just thought this season the level of characters bouncing in and out, whether in costume or superimposed animations, would appeal to preschoolers and wonder why they flooded us with them. It's a very confused show overall.

Well, I'm thirty and I loved it, so......

I have no pretensions about this show. It's my mental cotton-candy, and anything that references movies I loved from my childhood just adds to the overall fun. I expect nothing from the show other than cheesiness, so Disney night is great fun. How can you not love Charlie's Mary Poppins routine with the penguins last year or Olaf hopping through Nastia's routine? It just brings a big grin to my face.

• Love 1

Riker: Really tried to watch this one with an open mind, as I LOVE Yulia Zagoruychenko and Max Kozhevnikov's "Pirates" paso and knew this could never measure up (YouTube it, it's awesome).

That was lovely. [Link to watch.] It was fast, but it didn't feel like either of them were going to kill the floor or be killed by the other, unlike Allison (and by teaching) Ryker. I think Allison and Ryker will be saved by the fact that Pirates is a fan favorite and their staging, costuming, and story are what people will remember, not the sloppy dance.

The worst part about Allison getting Ryker is that he's capable. Had he been given a partner that knows how to teach ballroom (i.e: anyone but Allison) he would have had the potential to be fantastic, but as it stands he'll just be fun to watch. She's making out better in this partnership that he is, because if anything it'll "prove" to tptb that she can get a partner far into the competition and they'll likely ask her back.

Edited by McManda

Or even "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo." My issue with the "songs" in Disney films post-Walt is that so few of them are actually songs but rather exposition set to music. "Love is an open door" is a perfect example of this. So is "Let it Go" for that matter. And I don't know what in the holy heck Mark and Willow were dancing to.

This isn't a "Disney films post-Walt" thing. It has to do with the progression of the American musical. Musicals prior to about 1940 were just a bunch of random songs from the composer's files that they threw into a preexisting plot. "Oh, we need a love song? I have one of those lying around." Post-Rodgers and Hammerstein era, that changed. Most of the songs were written for that show, and usually for a specific moment, always with the intention of progressing the plot. There's no question which show The Sound of Music and Edelweiss belong to. I bet most people couldn't match the movies to these songs without checking: So This is Love, Some Day My Prince Will Come, Once Upon A Dream. A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes. They're just interchangeable love songs that kill time.

Sorry for the theatre nerd tangent. I agree they could have a better mix, but I'd prefer "exposition" songs to a night full of waltzes to dreary old princess songs.

• Love 3

This isn't a "Disney films post-Walt" thing. It has to do with the progression of the American musical. Musicals prior to about 1940 were just a bunch of random songs from the composer's files that they threw into a preexisting plot. "Oh, we need a love song? I have one of those lying around." Post-Rodgers and Hammerstein era, that changed. Most of the songs were written for that show, and usually for a specific moment, always with the intention of progressing the plot. There's no question which show The Sound of Music and Edelweiss belong to. I bet most people couldn't match the movies to these songs without checking: So This is Love, Some Day My Prince Will Come, Once Upon A Dream. A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes. They're just interchangeable love songs that kill time.

Sorry for the theatre nerd tangent. I agree they could have a better mix, but I'd prefer "exposition" songs to a night full of waltzes to dreary old princess songs.

Maybe so, I'm not really sure, but I do know that the best Disney songs--before or after Walt--can stand on their own musically (this includes, imo, "Bipetti Bobbety Boo" and all the ones you listed. You wouldn't want to use ones that sound similar (many of the romantic waltzes for example), but it's not a Broadway musical, so I really want good music--if it has exposition, it should still have an interesting/pleasing/danceable melody.  But I guess we agree that a better mix would have been nice.

I didn't know anything about Rumer but I'm really enjoying her attitude. I just love that she didn't go to the "I've always wanted to be a Disney princess" place and instead chose Ursula, not even one of the beautiful villains. And I thought their dance was excellent.

Actually, this was a pretty satisfying Disney show for me--with Mark's choreo for "Alice", Rumer/Val for Ursula's song, Derek's capable "setting Frozen story to dance" performance (hardly, imo, the "best for last", though), Riker's fun take on PotC, and even Suzanne's best dance as Peg (great choice) in "Lady and the Tramp". Even though Robert struggled with the timing and steps on "Step in Time", I enjoyed how he was really giving a performance as if in a genuine musical show--giving it his all with a lot of charm and verve--and I enjoyed Kym's choreography. Even if it did seem somewhat derivative, it was fun. Nice week.

• Love 1

Loved Riker, Willow, Patti, and Noah. Patti seems like she's about done though. Not sure who is voting for Chris..

Both Nastia and Rumer were both on par with what they have brought since day one. Hoping to see some underdog spoilers add some spice to the game with Riker and Willow.

Rumer's my age and her style and "anti-princess" vibe isn't all that unique. She seems like a "hipster" that also happens to be rich, famous, and talented. Looking foward to Team trouble.

Rumer's my age and her style and "anti-princess" vibe isn't all that unique. She seems like a "hipster" that also happens to be rich, famous, and talented. Looking foward to Team trouble.

True, but I was thinking about the women who usually come on this show. Not all choose "classically feminine" or "sexy" parts, but for the most part that seems to be what they like. Given the array of Disney characters to choose from, I think most DWTS celebs would not have told Val they wanted to be Ursula. I enjoyed the dance, though, and how she committed to the non-sexy, non-"feminine" character. 

I'm sorry that CAI's comments and vibe with Tony kind of distracted from what a great job he did choreographing for Suzanne. It was obviously her time, attitude-wise, but I was a little sorry that she went home before others who are worse (Chris, Noah and imo, Patti). And I was surprised at how low Robert's scores were. I thought he deserved better than four 6's. Then again, I thought he was overscored week1 (and received a near-apology for "low scores at the beginning") so I think it may be a testament to his character at this point that he no longer seems intimidating as "The Billionaire" but has shown them he's more like a nice, hard-working "regular guy".

Edited by Padma

Just for the record, there is no combined corporate name.  The Walt Disney Co. fully owns ABC.  

This isn't a "Disney films post-Walt" thing. It has to do with the progression of the American musical. Musicals prior to about 1940 were just a bunch of random songs from the composer's files that they threw into a preexisting plot. "Oh, we need a love song? I have one of those lying around."

Actually, that's not true. The songs for the classic Disney movies were written specifically for those movies. Disney song writers wrote them prior to 1950, and Cinderella was the first  movie for which Disney solicited the song writers of "Tin Pan Alley." Broadway shows are another animal but that's a different subject; I'm speaking specifically about classic Disney songs, the subject of this week's episode.

I bet most people couldn't match the movies to these songs without checking: So This is Love, Some Day My Prince Will Come, Once Upon A Dream. A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes.

Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella again. And I bet most Disney fans could match the songs to the films quite easily. 

You may be right about the "progression of the American musical" but to my tastes, that translates as "we have crappy song writers today that don't write good songs." Whatever the hell Mark and Willow were dancing to, for example - that's not something you walk out of the movie theater humming to yourself. It's not catchy or memorable. It may service whatever plot point it's intended for but it doesn't stand on its own as a "song" in my book. Dialogue set to music isn't a "song" in my book.

• Love 2

Whatever the hell Mark and Willow were dancing to, for example - that's not something you walk out of the movie theater humming to yourself. It's not catchy or memorable.

To be fair, that was a soundtrack piece from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. Despite technically having words, it was never intended as a stand alone song -- it's the equivalent of the Pirates of the Caribbean music Riker danced to. It's not meant to be catchy, just atmospheric. (And I personally love it in that context, but I'm always a huge Danny Elfman fan.)

That does bring up something I found slightly odd about this night, though, which was the use of those two pieces of music. Both dances turned out well (I agree with those who found Allison's choreography a little too ON ON ON as usual, but Riker did a good job with it), so I guess all's well that ends well, but when I hear "Disney Night" I think "Songs from the animated Disney canon" not "soundtracks from live action Disney films." I'd rather them have a separate movie night for that kind of thing, though it's a small nitpick. 

Edited by Agnes Bean

True, but I was thinking about the women who usually come on this show. Not all choose "classically feminine" or "sexy" parts, but for the most part that seems to be what they like. Given the array of Disney characters to choose from, I think most DWTS celebs would not have told Val they wanted to be Ursula. I enjoyed the dance, though, and how she committed to the non-sexy, non-"feminine" character. 

I'm sorry that CAI's comments and vibe with Tony kind of distracted from what a great job he did choreographing for Suzanne. It was obviously her time, attitude-wise, but I was a little sorry that she went home before others who are worse (Chris, Noah and imo, Patti). And I was surprised at how low Robert's scores were. I thought he deserved better than four 6's. Then again, I thought he was overscored week1 (and received a near-apology for "low scores at the beginning") so I think it may be a testament to his character at this point that he no longer seems intimidating as "The Billionaire" but has shown them he's more like a nice, hard-working "regular guy".

Eh, see I feel like picking Ursula was an "of course" moment for Rumer. There was no challenge for her in it. It's too in her wheelhouse. And I think there are plenty of other women who have been on the show who would have picked non-princesses. Just last season, Sadie was Ellie from Up. Disney week is fairly recent. I can think of plenty past celebs who would have jumped on Cruella, Maleficent, and Ursula, among others, just for the character factor. Ricki Lake, Margaret Cho, Marissa Winoker, Lil Kim, Debi Mazar, Kelly Osbourne, Hope Solo, Niecy Nash, Kirstie Alley - maybe they would have gone the princess route, but I could easily see them choosing the campy villain route instead.