Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah but didn't she dump him because she found out he was seeing if she "measured up"?

Sort of.  She was going to until she found out he wanted to take her to the skeet shoot.  She showed up dressed to shoot, and as we know, beat Andy.  After the shooting match, she grilled him with similar questions and just gave him an earful before stalking off.  He was appropriately chagrined, then told Barney and Thelma Lou that he'd just lost another contest -- the battle of the sexes.  Then he ran off after Karen to ask her out again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Speaking of The Young Riders, Stephen Baldwin is in that series.  He looks like Barney Rubble riding a horse.  I can't get that image out of my head.

"Old MacDonald  had a farm ee i ee i o. And on that farm he shot some guys. Badda boom badda bing bang boom."

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Andy didn't make Opie take care of the baby birds.  Opie came up with that all on his own.  

I haven't seen the episode in forever but I do think Andy told Opie he had to care for the baby birds. That was the only discipline he got for it.

10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Back in the day I had toys that wouldn't be acceptable by today's standards, but had Opie even reached double digits in age when he had gotten a hold of that slingshot?

I don't think so. Even back in the day, there should have been some responsible parenting.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, susannah said:

I haven't seen the episode in forever but I do think Andy told Opie he had to care for the baby birds. That was the only discipline he got for it.

Andy opened Opie's window and told him he'd have to listen to the birds chirp for their mama.  Opie decided to take care of the birds by himself.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 6/5/2021 at 7:21 PM, Leeds said:

Okay, here's a question.  How can a period panty thong possibly work?  All that comes to my mind is blood running down my thighs.

https://knix.com/collections/period-underwear?gclid=Cj0KCQjwweyFBhDvARIsAA67M726r3rJiY-3Bnwt5qLcvzkVqdjWHH3yEGWnf92ItDiDKGftW_Y7xXcaAs7qEALw_wcB

I wouldn't know from experience, but I seriously doubt it for anything more than emergency backup. I can't imagine there's enough fabric there to absorb any significant amount of fluid. Otherwise they'd already be making full pads for thongs, not just pantiliners.

• Love 3

Re: the discussion of TV shows that have aged badly and ones that still entertain:

Because my girlfriend and I are middle aged, we watch a lot of MeTV. I love "The Andy Griffith Show," but she cannot stand Don Knots so that's a no for her. We both love "Adam 12" even though it's hopelessly dated. We're both classic car enthusiasts and we love to play the game of "What make, model and year is that car?" "The Addams Family" is just as funny as I remember. Lisa Loring's consistently deadpan delivery as Wednesday just kills me. Although sometimes I wonder how they can drink henbane on the rocks -- on actual rocks -- and remain among the living (I know, I know. Just a show.) "Happy Days" was charming in the beginning when it was about teenagers and their troubles in the 1950s. Then it became "The Fonz Show," Joanie ditched her dungarees for designer jeans, and Jenny Piccolo became a character instead of the friend Joanie just talked about. 

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

Re: the discussion of TV shows that have aged badly and ones that still entertain:

Because my girlfriend and I are middle aged, we watch a lot of MeTV. I love "The Andy Griffith Show," but she cannot stand Don Knots so that's a no for her. We both love "Adam 12" even though it's hopelessly dated. We're both classic car enthusiasts and we love to play the game of "What make, model and year is that car?" "The Addams Family" is just as funny as I remember. Lisa Loring's consistently deadpan delivery as Wednesday just kills me. Although sometimes I wonder how they can drink henbane on the rocks -- on actual rocks -- and remain among the living (I know, I know. Just a show.) "Happy Days" was charming in the beginning when it was about teenagers and their troubles in the 1950s. Then it became "The Fonz Show," Joanie ditched her dungarees for designer jeans, and Jenny Piccolo became a character instead of the friend Joanie just talked about. 

Same only with us it's Cozi. We love Frasier, Emergency and Roseanne. I cannot watch The Munsters because I hate Herman. I don't think loud and stupid = funny. But I also watch Andy Griffith and I think Barney is Mick fucking Jagger. He's hot. Don Knotts' wife:

image.png.6701b9b0e404032519c6a963057c9e0a.png

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3

there's Meaningful Beauty, Cindy Crawford's thing, then there's hair care products called Function of Beauty, they are mixed for specific types of hair. I haven't figured out if they're for all women or women of color, it hasn't really mattered that much to me to figure it out. But when they first started advertising, there was a line that always made me laugh, "my curls are on fire!" I see that as a problem, a potentially painful problem, one might need to soak those curls in water if they're on fire! 

I personally have problems with lots of shampoos, soaps, lotions, skin allergies. I find that the more chemical ingredients they contain, the more likely I am to have problems. And the more ingredients they contain, the more expensive they are, so I just avoid those. I'd love to find a shampoo that didn't make my scalp itch. I get tempted to fill out the questionnaire to see if they had hypoallergenic that worked for me.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

there's Meaningful Beauty, Cindy Crawford's thing, then there's hair care products called Function of Beauty, they are mixed for specific types of hair. I haven't figured out if they're for all women or women of color, it hasn't really mattered that much to me to figure it out. But when they first started advertising, there was a line that always made me laugh, "my curls are on fire!" I see that as a problem, a potentially painful problem, one might need to soak those curls in water if they're on fire! 

I personally have problems with lots of shampoos, soaps, lotions, skin allergies. I find that the more chemical ingredients they contain, the more likely I am to have problems. And the more ingredients they contain, the more expensive they are, so I just avoid those. I'd love to find a shampoo that didn't make my scalp itch. I get tempted to fill out the questionnaire to see if they had hypoallergenic that worked for me.

It's worth a try.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I hate Roseanne with a passion, just a personal thing.  I can't handle loud, obnoxious, arguing.  That is why I hated all of the Norman Lear series (All in the Family, Maude, The Jeffersons, One Day at a Time, Sanford and Son).  The list goes on and on.  I know that Roseanne wasn't a Norman Lear series, but it was still loud and obnoxious with heavy doses of arguing.  It triggers my migraines.

I completely agree with you about those shows. I don't like to watch shows with people doing nothing but shouting at each other. I will add to your list a show from when I was a kid, the Honeymooners, which had Ralph doing nothing but shouting at his wife and everyone else.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, susannah said:

I completely agree with you about those shows. I don't like to watch shows with people doing nothing but shouting at each other. I will add to your list a show from when I was a kid, the Honeymooners, which had Ralph doing nothing but shouting at his wife and everyone else.

I'm in total agreement as well.   I hated Jackie Gleason and never could understand what anyone thought was funny or even mildly amusing about The Honeymooners.

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, AnnA said:

I'm in total agreement as well.   I hated Jackie Gleason and never could understand what anyone thought was funny or even mildly amusing about The Honeymooners.

Beyond Ralph's abusiveness I couldn't stand the show because of the absolute squalor they lived in.  In other shows, sometimes they had financial problems (All In The Family, Roseanne) but they had decent home. And what did Alice do all day? There were no books in that apartment, no tv, she didn't really cook, they had no kids. Did she sit there and stare at the wall all day long? Why didn't she get a job?

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
19 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I grew up in a household where there was a lot of shouting, it wasn't a pleasant experience.  For those who haven't, imagine living in any of those sitcom households 24/7 for eighteen years or more.  It wouldn't be funny, it would be brutal.  It wouldn't just be a half hour sitcom where you can turn it off.  Instead you would have to live it non-stop without any breaks from it for at least eighteen years.

So did I. Not fun at all.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, susannah said:

So did I. Not fun at all.

So did I a horrible experience... My kids never heard a raised voice or felt a hand/switch slap them. They are the most amazing people and parents! DS has 3 DD's in college and is a Fire Battalion Chief in a major CA city. DD has 3 small children and is an acting Police Chief in another major CA city. I broke the chain thank God...

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

So did I a horrible experience... My kids never heard a raised voice or felt a hand/switch slap them. They are the most amazing people and parents! DS has 3 DD's in college and is a Fire Battalion Chief in a major CA city. DD has 3 small children and is an acting Police Chief in another major CA city. I broke the chain thank God...

I think that took a lot of strength. Kudos! My husband grew up with parents who yelled - all. the. time. The beat him with a belt. They told him he was stupid and would never amount to anything. He broke the cycle as well. 

• Love 9
On 6/9/2021 at 7:55 PM, friendperidot said:

I have issues with many of the plant essences and nut oils they put in hair care products as they make me itch.  Or if I like a hair care product, they stop making it :-(

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, skipnjump said:

I have issues with many of the plant essences and nut oils they put in hair care products as they make me itch.  Or if I like a hair care product, they stop making it :-(

Oils in shampoo aren't good for me either. Sulfate free shampoos are the best IMO.

Just now, rcc said:

Oils in shampoo aren't good for me either. Sulfate free shampoos are the best IMO.

See, I've found that many of the sulfate free shampoos dry my hair out while I'm still washing it.  Sigh.

• LOL 1
6 minutes ago, skipnjump said:

See, I've found that many of the sulfate free shampoos dry my hair out while I'm still washing it.  Sigh.

Hmmm that's too bad. 

• Love 1

My parents bickered for exercise. Nobody ever took it seriously and it wasn't chronic. From what I've seen of his marriage, my brother doesn't bicker with his wife at all. I live alone, so it doesn't apply. I don't even yell at the cats unless they get TOO rambunctious with their wrestling and Stella starts shrieking at Bosco. Now that's the kind of yelling that'll make your skin crawl. Honestly, she shrieks like she's being murdered when all Bosco wants to do is romp.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My parents bickered for exercise. Nobody ever took it seriously and it wasn't chronic. From what I've seen of his marriage, my brother doesn't bicker with his wife at all. I live alone, so it doesn't apply. I don't even yell at the cats unless they get TOO rambunctious with their wrestling and Stella starts shrieking at Bosco. Now that's the kind of yelling that'll make your skin crawl. Honestly, she shrieks like she's being murdered when all Bosco wants to do is romp.

Cats.

image.png.99d789d4fb813187b55055d7a01ac744.png

• LOL 8

My parents had bickering down as an art form, but it was always affectionate rather than angry. They were like a non-alcoholic Nick and Nora Charles. In fact, I was once relieved when Dad made a yapping gesture at Mom as she started fussing over him acting depressed, because he clearly wasn't if he felt like making fun of her.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have never liked hearing anyone scream, rant, and rave, it just isn't pleasant.  I don't understand why people like seeing it in sitcoms. 

I don't want to see it all the time, and I don't want to see abusive yelling (or any other abusive behavior) excused, but I appreciate the occasional yelling in series like Cagney & Lacey, Roseanne, some of the Norman Lear sitcoms, etc. because it shows how yelling is not in and of itself bad; it depends on context, and some people who love and respect each other do yell at each other sometimes, but they work it out just fine.  In my (closer-than-average, very loving, and mostly functional and healthy) family, we all yell sometimes, so it was a breath of fresh air when people on TV started doing it, too, because I'd always found it odd to see all TV families even-keeled 24/7. 

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't want to see it all the time, and I don't want to see abusive yelling (or any other abusive behavior) excused, but I appreciate the occasional yelling in series like Cagney & Lacey, Roseanne, some of the Norman Lear sitcoms, etc. because it shows how yelling is not in and of itself bad; it depends on context, and some people who love and respect each other do yell at each other sometimes, but they work it out just fine.  In my (closer-than-average, very loving, and mostly functional and healthy) family, we all yell sometimes, so it was a breath of fresh air when people on TV started doing it, too, because I'd always found it odd to see all TV families even-keeled 24/7. 

I can see that. I found it upsetting because my parents never raised their voices, even when they strongly disagreed with each other. But my DH is a yeller and he doesn't understand why I get so upset. He's better now and thank god, he never yelled at our kid because of his horrible parents. He just gets excited. He's a passionate Latin type.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

You are lucky that you have a family like that. When you have to live as a kid with drunken, abusive fighting and tirades, seeing it on tv was not a breath of fresh air.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I couldn't watch Judge Judy, because of her behavior.  I don't care who was coming before her court or how they acted.   I didn't like her at all

I've only seen a few of her court shows, and read one of her books. She is very sharp tongued and comes off as rude, but she doesn't buy people's lame excuses for their behavior. That I like.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Thank you! So what's the answer? I guess hiring someone to clean the gutters is the only way.

There's a middle option.  I have filters on my gutters and it's more like teeny tiny chicken wire than the ultra filter.  Definitely keeps the big stuff out including leaves and maple tree seeds.  

• Useful 3

at my last house, I had something like a screen in my gutters, not quite as fine as a screen for a window or door, but smaller than a chicken wire fence. It worked well, kept the leaves and twigs out of the drains, but was open enough for water to go through just fine. It was good until my 14 yr old great nephew decided he had to climb on the roof, discovered it and thought it was hilarious that it was there and took it out. Idiot child. I didn't install it, it was there when I moved in.

And re the sex toys discussion on As Seen on TV, I'm so old I use the neck massager to massage my neck and back. 

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

And re the sex toys discussion on As Seen on TV, I'm so old I use the neck massager to massage my neck and back.

And that is certainly how the old Sears catalogue used to show the phallus shaped 'massager' being used.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It isn't about feeling uncomfortable.  It is a subject matter that I would have to totally avoid commenting on.  I wouldn't want to run the risk of offending anyone by making any comments.

Again, I'm sorry. There are so many commercials aimed at women. I got carried away.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

It was.

I like visiting retro websites, a lot of interesting stories, memories of old toys.

So do I, and like to see the old catalogs too, especially Sears, when I can find them online. I loved scouring their Wishbook at Christmas when I was a kid. I am not positive now but I think that back then, more often than not, the models of male and female nightwear together, had to show the woman wearing a wedding ring!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, susannah said:

So do I, and like to see the old catalogs too, especially Sears, when I can find them online. I loved scouring their Wishbook at Christmas when I was a kid. I am not positive now but I think that back then, more often than not, the models of male and female nightwear together, had to show the woman wearing a wedding ring!

The woman but not the man? Hmm, sounds like Wishbook Lady was getting herself some side action with an underwear model!

• LOL 5
On 6/5/2021 at 9:21 PM, Leeds said:

Okay, here's a question.  How can a period panty thong possibly work?  All that comes to my mind is blood running down my thighs.

https://knix.com/collections/period-underwear?gclid=Cj0KCQjwweyFBhDvARIsAA67M726r3rJiY-3Bnwt5qLcvzkVqdjWHH3yEGWnf92ItDiDKGftW_Y7xXcaAs7qEALw_wcB

I think you would wear the thong style on your light days and the bikini , boyshort or brief for your heavier days. Either way its kinda gross.

• Love 5

I guess I have mixed feeling about the commercials for things like period panties, shaving devices, things that help with your man-parts...  Either anything in the bathing-suit area should be off limits, or hey, it's real life, let's be upfront about it and help people find the best product for dealing with it.  I think I come down more on the side of the latter, but I can totally understand why people just don't want to see any of that.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guess I have mixed feeling about the commercials for things like period panties, shaving devices, things that help with your man-parts...  Either anything in the bathing-suit area should be off limits, or hey, it's real life, let's be upfront about it and help people find the best product for dealing with it.  I think I come down more on the side of the latter, but I can totally understand why people just don't want to see any of that.

The thing that bothers me, I guess, is the way they try to make it cutesy. If you're going to address adult challenges, at least make it not insulting.

• Love 10

I don't have a problem with discussing "personal hygiene" commercials if it's limited to those commercials.  It's just that when people discuss their own experiences, it should be here in Small Talk and not in the commercials threads.   

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Either anything in the bathing-suit area should be off limits, or hey, it's real life, let's be upfront about it and help people find the best product for dealing with it. 

The latter, please; honesty, perhaps with a dash - and no more - of humor.  Bodies have parts and functions, and there's no reason to be disgusted, cutesy, or coy about that.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Normally I just go with the flow, but as hard as it is to believe, even I have my limits.  Everything is fine, no worries.

Say, I have a pair of period panties in Brooklyn to sell you.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Female is an adjective. I would prefer women just be called women.

(From one of the other threads)

Most dictionaries recognize it as a noun and an adjective, but I only use it as an adjective; it's used as a noun in so many derogatory sentences that I find even benign instances tainted by the prevalence of that sexist usage.

• Love 6