Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't know.   That was the same family that had one of the sons chewing a hamburger and  open mouthed kissing his girlfriend.  The hamburger was no longer in his mouth or any other part of his body.  The chewed burger ended up in her mouth, which she promptly swallowed.   As I said, it gets worse.

Eww!

Were these people raised by wolves?

• Love 1
22 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

One of the kids (in his late teens early twenties) used to bite into chocolates from a mixed box, and if he didn't like it, he would put the drooly piece back into the box.

My grandmother wasn't quite THAT bad, but she would squish chocolates with her fingers to see what the insides were like (she had dentures that couldn't handle chewy stuff well), and put the rejected ones back in the box. No one wanted her squished caramels and nougats afterwards.

• Love 1

My brother would take one of those two layer sampler candy boxes, and shove his thumb through the bottom of every piece, eat the few he wanted, and put the rest back.   The worst part is that brand came with a chart, saying what each candy had inside.    

(edited)

The way around the squished chocolates: prick the bottom with a pin, making a sort of perforation. Pry the bottom off. Get digusted with the damn jelly inside. Place the bottom back in place, run it over a warm iron to seal up the pinholes.

Or just get a Whitman's Sampler that has the map printed on the inside of the lid.

ETA: Now I want a Whitman's Sampler...

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The way around the squished chocolates: prick the bottom with a pin, making a sort of perforation. Pry the bottom off. Get digusted with the damn jelly inside. Place the bottom back in place, run it over a warm iron to seal up the pinholes.

Or just get a Whitman's Sampler that has the map printed on the inside of the lid.

ETA: Now I want a Whitman's Sampler...

I hate those stupid jellies. They're just filler to make box seem bigger and justify a fancy price. I like to buy truffles only because it's aaaalll good.

• Love 2
On 5/9/2021 at 7:49 AM, icemiser69 said:

I put Karen in a similar category to those who hug without asking first.  That is fine if those involved in the hug know each other really well.  I am just not a fan of anyone violating another person's personal space.

Same. In fact, one of the perks of COVID is that I no longer have to hug random acquaintances simply because they've barreled at me and I don't want to offend anyone.

On the subject of chocolate - one Valentine's Day when I was a child, my father gifted my mother a box of dark chocolate.

He was the only person in the family who liked that kind.

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I like to double dip. However I don't do it with any shared dip. I put some in a small dish and double dip to my heart's content.

I'll double dip if I'm sharing with my husband. But we french kiss, so it doesn't seem realistic to be worried about double-dipping.

Once some friends and I finished off a pie by eating directly from it (we each had our own forks). I feel like some of you would have been repulsed by that.

What are your feelings on things like hot pot or fondue?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Don't all the pieces of food go into those fresh a single time? I would hope no one's dipping anything back in after taking a bite!

You'd think but I've seen people double dipping at parties. Yuck.

11 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Don't all the pieces of food go into those fresh a single time? I would hope no one's dipping anything back in after taking a bite!

You're typically using the same utensil for eating and for putting pieces in the pot.

18 hours ago, janie jones said:

Once some friends and I finished off a pie by eating directly from it (we each had our own forks).

That's totally routine to me.  And if two of us are sitting on the couch eating ice cream during movie night, it's just two spoons and the carton of ice cream.

18 hours ago, janie jones said:

That now I'm hungry!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 5/11/2021 at 8:21 PM, janie jones said:

I'll double dip if I'm sharing with my husband. But we french kiss, so it doesn't seem realistic to be worried about double-dipping.

Once some friends and I finished off a pie by eating directly from it (we each had our own forks). I feel like some of you would have been repulsed by that.

Hi Janie! I have shared food with friends from one dish, with each of us having our own utensils. Not a problem. I have never had fondue so don't know the proper etiquette for dipping and eating but I would think you would dip only what you can eat in one bite, unless you are the only one eating.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, susannah said:

Hi Janie! I have shared food with friends from one dish, with each of us having our own utensils. Not a problem. I have never had fondue so don't know the proper etiquette for dipping and eating but I would think you would dip only what you can eat in one bite, unless you are the only one eating.

I have but it was only steak and the oil was bubbling hot. You use these long, skinny forks and you dip the meat, put it on your plate and use a knife and fork to eat it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I have but it was only steak and the oil was bubbling hot. You use these long, skinny forks and you dip the meat, put it on your plate and use a knife and fork to eat it.

There is nothing unsanitary about that. I thought maybe posters were referring to dipping, eating off the fork and dipping again. I think the way they actually do it, as you said, with plates and utensils, is much more civilized and much less messy.

• Love 1

When I was a kid, we went to a restaurant where a pot of melted cheese and a bowl of bread cubes were placed on the table, along with some sticks so we could skewer the bread and dip it into the cheese while we waited for our food.  Didn't even occur to me at the time that it might be unsanitary, the only thing I remember about it was that my father got annoyed with us kids for eating too many cheesy bread cubes and we wouldn't want to eat our dinner.  (He was right, we kids just poked at the food and we had to take most of it home to eat later).  The cheese pot and the leftover bread cubes, were taken away when the meal was served, and now I wonder how much of what we had at the table had also been served to other customers before us.

Later on, we kids would enter the house after getting off the school bus to find my mom sitting at the kitchen lunch counter reading the paper or working a crossword puzzle.  This was not unsual, but once in a while we'd find Mom had put out the fondue pot along with a package of chocolate chips and a package of mini marshmellows.  While the chocolate melted, we'd put up our school stuff and get ready.  Mom would divide the marshmellows into bowls so no one got more than anyone else and we'd sit around and dip the marshmellows in the chocolate.  We were supposed to dip our mellows in the chocolate and then use the rim of the bowl to slide the mellow off the stick, then pick up the mellow and eat it.  It didn't last long and soon we were all just dipping and using our teeth to slide the marshmellow off into our mouths.  

When the marshmellows were all eaten, Mom would pour the chocolate onto the marble slab she used to make peanut brittle and hard candy.  As it cooled, she'd cut the chocolate into tiny squares, to be saved for the next time we made chocolate chip cookies.  I guess the heat from the melting kept us from passing illness to each other, but how would we know?  There were 7 people living there, and we were always passing colds and stuff around.  Back then it was just the way it was.  But we never got sick from eating undercooked meat or bad handling of salad makings, Mom was militant about hand washing when handling raw food.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Zahdii said:

When I was a kid, we went to a restaurant where a pot of melted cheese and a bowl of bread cubes were placed on the table, along with some sticks so we could skewer the bread and dip it into the cheese while we waited for our food.  Didn't even occur to me at the time that it might be unsanitary, the only thing I remember about it was that my father got annoyed with us kids for eating too many cheesy bread cubes and we wouldn't want to eat our dinner.  (He was right, we kids just poked at the food and we had to take most of it home to eat later).  The cheese pot and the leftover bread cubes, were taken away when the meal was served, and now I wonder how much of what we had at the table had also been served to other customers before us.

Later on, we kids would enter the house after getting off the school bus to find my mom sitting at the kitchen lunch counter reading the paper or working a crossword puzzle.  This was not unsual, but once in a while we'd find Mom had put out the fondue pot along with a package of chocolate chips and a package of mini marshmellows.  While the chocolate melted, we'd put up our school stuff and get ready.  Mom would divide the marshmellows into bowls so no one got more than anyone else and we'd sit around and dip the marshmellows in the chocolate.  We were supposed to dip our mellows in the chocolate and then use the rim of the bowl to slide the mellow off the stick, then pick up the mellow and eat it.  It didn't last long and soon we were all just dipping and using our teeth to slide the marshmellow off into our mouths.  

When the marshmellows were all eaten, Mom would pour the chocolate onto the marble slab she used to make peanut brittle and hard candy.  As it cooled, she'd cut the chocolate into tiny squares, to be saved for the next time we made chocolate chip cookies.  I guess the heat from the melting kept us from passing illness to each other, but how would we know?  There were 7 people living there, and we were always passing colds and stuff around.  Back then it was just the way it was.  But we never got sick from eating undercooked meat or bad handling of salad makings, Mom was militant about hand washing when handling raw food.

It was probably okay. We know a lot more about "bubbles" now.

5 hours ago, Zahdii said:

When I was a kid, we went to a restaurant where a pot of melted cheese and a bowl of bread cubes were placed on the table, along with some sticks so we could skewer the bread and dip it into the cheese while we waited for our food.  Didn't even occur to me at the time that it might be unsanitary, the only thing I remember about it was that my father got annoyed with us kids for eating too many cheesy bread cubes and we wouldn't want to eat our dinner.  (He was right, we kids just poked at the food and we had to take most of it home to eat later).

As a frugal parent, that would be my dream family meal out!  Fill the kids up on the freebies, then take home another full meal!

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

As a frugal parent, that would be my dream family meal out!  Fill the kids up on the freebies, then take home another full meal!

Oh yeah! That would have worked for me!! 🙂

• Love 2
On 5/11/2021 at 9:28 PM, friendperidot said:

I like to double dip. However I don't do it with any shared dip. I put some in a small dish and double dip to my heart's content.

If no dish available I break the chips in half before dipping. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

My friend's ex used to order an entree that came with bottomless fries, fill up on fries, and then take the entree home for later.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I keep seeing the Dominos/Nuro commercial, and they are only using the driverless delivery in Houston. 

Is that true?  they're doing nationwide spots for something only offered in one city?  I've seen those commercials in New England and you can't get further away from Houston than that.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Is that true?  they're doing nationwide spots for something only offered in one city?  I've seen those commercials in New England and you can't get further away from Houston than that.

Unless you're at my house in Seattle.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I'm getting the ad here too in MT, no Domino's any where near me!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm seeing those ads here on Long Island.  I doubt we'll ever see the driverless vehicles here - at least not in my lifetime.

• Love 2

re hot flashes in menopause, get a small spritzer bottle, dollar store cheap, buy several, keep them all over the house, keep one at the office, the car. Fill with water, when the hot flash starts, spritz yourself in the face, just a quick spritz. Instant relief. Don't get hot flashes much any more, and now the spritzer bottles are to get my dogs to stop whatever it is they are doing that I don't want them to.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I’m not quite at that point yet, but I do have a spritzer bottle that I tried to use to correct Shadow(didn’t work, she loves water).  I’ll have to keep that in mind.

Is Shadow a kitty or a pup?

On 5/17/2021 at 11:23 AM, susannah said:

What are they, and why?

I don't have all the answers, but unequal treatment does result in different results for different people. Directly or indirectly, consciously or unconsciously. And yes, there is documentations of bias in medicine when it comes to race.

PBS is actually airing a program tonight that looks at some of it.:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/the-healthcare-divide/

"The Healthcare Divide" -

FRONTLINE: Season 2021 Episode 11

FRONTLINE and NPR investigate the growing inequities in American healthcare exposed by COVID-19. The documentary examines how pressure to increase profits and uneven government support is widening the divide between rich and poor hospitals, endangering care for the most needy.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/safety-net-hospitals-struggle-endangers-care-for-low-income-patients/

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
(edited)
45 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Is Shadow a kitty or a pup?

Kitty(otherwise known as The House Panther):

F3C8AA93-3C5F-4D29-9BC1-E330F9155A13.jpegI have no idea how it posted sideways! 😳

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Kitty(otherwise known as The House Panther):

F3C8AA93-3C5F-4D29-9BC1-E330F9155A13.jpegI have no idea how it posted sideways! 😳

D'aawww! I love black kitties! Shadow is very unusual in liking getting sprayed. Our Nathan just needs to be shown the spray bottle and he's outta here.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I don't have all the answers, but unequal treatment does result in different results for different people. 

It definitely does. Part of my job involves editing literature and presentations built from the results of studies about minority populations' and communities' barriers to (and perceptions of) treatment, from diagnosis to therapy, and including risk factors and gross underrepresentation in clinical trials. The disparities are not uncommon and they are not minor.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

It definitely does. Part of my job involves editing literature and presentations built from the results of studies about minority populations' and communities' barriers to (and perceptions of) treatment, from diagnosis to therapy, and including risk factors and gross underrepresentation in clinical trials. The disparities are not uncommon and they are not minor.

So many of my friends have had weird menstrual problems since getting their vaccinations. I get that it was a dire situation and the vaccine was desperately needed as fast as possible but it seems when they research drugs, they don't do enough testing on the effects on women.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

D'aawww! I love black kitties! Shadow is very unusual in liking getting sprayed. Our Nathan just needs to be shown the spray bottle and he's outta here.

I've only had to use the spray bottle on one of my cats (I have 3) and she ran when she saw it too.  After a while she'd run if I reached for it.  She used to like to stand on the coffee table between me and the TV blocking my view.  Thanks to the spray bottle she doesn't do it anymore.  I haven't had to use it since last summer.  

• Love 2

I had an actual squirt gun. The cat wouldn't leave the pendulum of the cuckoo clock alone, so I'd squirt her from across the room. I ended up having to repaint the living room to cover up all the water streaks. She finally stopped playing with the clock, but at one point, she came over to the end table next to me and beat the living hell out of the squirt gun while it was in my hand. I never saw a cat's paw move so rapidly. She was royally pissed at that water pistol.

• LOL 19
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had an actual squirt gun. The cat wouldn't leave the pendulum of the cuckoo clock alone, so I'd squirt her from across the room. I ended up having to repaint the living room to cover up all the water streaks. She finally stopped playing with the clock, but at one point, she came over to the end table next to me and beat the living hell out of the squirt gun while it was in my hand. I never saw a cat's paw move so rapidly. She was royally pissed at that water pistol.

OMG that was my best laugh out loud of the day!!  Thanks for sharing!!!

I have 3 ferrals now that I feed, one is very sweet and tries to get inside every time I feed her. (I think she has a litter under the front deck.) She scratches and rubs so I am sure she has all sorts of critters on her. If/when she brings out the kitties, I'll try to capture them and get them to the vet, I might be tempted to bring her in as a house cat. I've never tried a spray bottle with a cat...

• Love 2
7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'd like to thank you for your thoughtful, well-written response to the original question in the Annoying thread.  And the subsequent responses there and here. 

Have fun at the new Dollar Store! 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

she came over to the end table next to me and beat the living hell out of the squirt gun while it was in my hand. I never saw a cat's paw move so rapidly. She was royally pissed at that water pistol.

This is great. Cat had a come to Jesus meeting with the water bottle!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I love your cat!  

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

OMG that was my best laugh out loud of the day!!  Thanks for sharing!!!

I have 3 ferrals now that I feed, one is very sweet and tries to get inside every time I feed her. (I think she has a litter under the front deck.) She scratches and rubs so I am sure she has all sorts of critters on her. If/when she brings out the kitties, I'll try to capture them and get them to the vet, I might be tempted to bring her in as a house cat. I've never tried a spray bottle with a cat...

I know the squirt bottle sounds like a good way to keep the cat from doing things you don't like, but if I can add my 2 cents, please don't do it!  While it is a bit if a deterrent, short term it's actually a punishment that has consequences you may not realize,  I share this only because I am 100% certain that all of you have only the best intentions and love for your animals:

• The punishment may be associated with you, which can damage the bond.  That doesn't seem to be the case with Prevailing Wind, however you can tell she's stressed by what she did to the bottle,
  • Your cat may begin to do the behavior when you're not there
  • S/he may start doing a different bad behavior somewhere else
  • It's extremely distressing to your cat, and that part hurts my heart
  • Positive reinforcement is the key!

There ends your veterinary PSA.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, cynicat said:

I know the squirt bottle sounds like a good way to keep the cat from doing things you don't like, but if I can add my 2 cents, please don't do it!  While it is a bit if a deterrent, short term it's actually a punishment that has consequences you may not realize,  I share this only because I am 100% certain that all of you have only the best intentions and love for your animals:

• The punishment may be associated with you, which can damage the bond.  That doesn't seem to be the case with Prevailing Wind, however you can tell she's stressed by what she did to the bottle,
  • Your cat may begin to do the behavior when you're not there
  • S/he may start doing a different bad behavior somewhere else
  • It's extremely distressing to your cat, and that part hurts my heart
  • Positive reinforcement is the key!

There ends your veterinary PSA.  

This is completely true with most cats but our Nathan has never really figured out how to "cat". He is just not very bright and we often say he missed his calling as a Wal Mart greeter because he wants to be friends with everybody. Strange strays, mice, repair people anyone, really. We live on the lake in a waterfront town with lots of restaurants along the shorefront. I guess what I'm saying is we get rats. We've had many cats and all of them have been champion ratters. Except our Nathan. He wants to be friends with them.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

This is completely true with most cats but our Nathan has never really figured out how to "cat". He is just not very bright and we often say he missed his calling as a Wal Mart greeter because he wants to be friends with everybody. Strange strays, mice, repair people anyone, really. We live on the lake in a waterfront town with lots of restaurants along the shorefront. I guess what I'm saying is we get rats. We've had many cats and all of them have been champion ratters. Except our Nathan. He wants to be friends with them.

So his motto is "can't we all just get along?" 😀 He sounds like a total sweetheart.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, susannah said:

So his motto is "can't we all just get along?" 😀 He sounds like a total sweetheart.

Oh, he is. My DIL wants him so bad but no way would my hubby give him away. Even thought he gets irritated with the cat because he tends to be clingy. He definitely imprinted on the old man.

• Love 5