Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

39 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Sometimes I go for a drive because I have to get out of the house.  I'm in my car, alone with no mask and I just drive around.  Anyone with a problem with that can kiss my a**.

I don't see why anyone should or would have a problem with that.  My car is presently parked inside my garage, with a dead battery.  I have to get AAA to come out to charge my battery (again, this happened before because of lockdown/nowhere to go) and I keep putting it off.  I'll have to invent road trips to keep my battery charged even if it's a 20-minute drive around town.  Because of other reasons, I pretty much hate driving now that I'm older.  I can drive like a little old lady when I have to, but regular driving drives me crazy with all the traffic and idiots on the road.  And I'm in Southern California, not Boston!

I find it stressful and not like going out for a drive used to be.

Edited by CrystalBlue
Added finishing sentence.
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I don't see why anyone should or would have a problem with that.  My car is presently parked inside my garage, with a dead battery.  I have to get AAA to come out to charge my battery (again, this happened before because of lockdown/nowhere to go) and I keep putting it off.  I'll have to invent road trips to keep my battery charged even if it's a 20-minute drive around town.  Because of other reasons, I pretty much hate driving now that I'm older.  I can drive like a little old lady when I have to, but regular driving drives me crazy with all the traffic and idiots on the road.  And I'm in Southern California, not Boston!

I find it stressful and not like going out for a drive used to be.

I haven't been able to stand driving on the freeway since the late nineties. I'm the queen of the back road.

• Love 4

I love backroad driving and try to avoid the large highways whenever possible at least during the daylight hours.  A couple of backroad trips home at dusk/dark did make me think twice about it though.  First, I passed a guy who apparently had a problem with that, who passed me then spent the next few kilometres slowing down until I was almost stopped, then speeding up when I tried to pass.  It was scary and there was nobody around.  I think he eventually got bored and moved on.  Then another time I fortunately caught sight of a deer in the field before it ran out on the road in front of me.  So, I take the backroads but only during the day.

• Love 5

I learned to drive in Boston.  I'll take Boston over Connecticut drives any day of the week.  They're slow, crazy drivers with too many left exits for my taste on the highway.  I live in northern VT now, and so I no longer have long commutes to work, and I don't miss it, but I don't mind driving in Boston.  

On 4/15/2021 at 11:24 AM, Katy M said:

I was shocked to look in my rearview mirror and seeing cars whipping down on the shoulder like it was nothing.

Certain highways and certain times of days, the shoulder is a legal lane in which to drive.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I live in lower Alabama, on one of the major hurricane evacuation routes from the Panhandle.    Everyone who lives in this area knows that when there's a big evacuation ordered, that if you see a banged up car, Florida plates, and the car is swaying all over the road, that you stay away from them.     A lot of those drivers don't drive very much, and the cars aren't well maintained, you can tell they've been in numerous accidents too.    Scary.  

The worst drivers I've ever seen have been around Boston, and the D.C. area.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Being from Los Angeles, I thought all the talk about Boston traffic/drivers was overblown - until the first time I drove there; it's kind of exaggerated, but it's also kind of true.  I did fine each of the several times I was there, but I understand how it got the reputation.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I'll take Houston we have a problem for $400.00, Alex.

I can't watch anything where someone is eating something off of another person's face.   I can't even watch someone who gets hit with a pie in the face, and then wipes it of of their own face and then eats it.

Not quite the same, but there was that time back in the day when one of the old neighbor siblings was dating someone and they would open mouth kiss with food in their mouths transferring it from one to the other via mouth via open mouth kiss and then swallowing it.

YUCK!!!!!!!   🤢

• Love 3

I bought my cell phone in 2008 when my family insisted because I was driving 250 miles to my high school reunion. I started with one that the keypad kind of pulled out from the bottom of the phone, moved to one that had a keypad and screen on one piece with a keyboard that pulled out of the side. After my nephew had it and got in a fight with the neighbor kids and dropped it and they brought it home, smashed with a hammer and left it on my porch, I went to a $15 flip phone. I've replaced this one about 3 times, one time the dog chewed it up, one time my nephew had a fight with a friend and the friend threw it against the wall. The one I'm currently using has a big dog bite out of the keypad area from my pit bull. It's a little hard to adjust the volume of the ringer, but otherwise it's fine. I have cataracts, can't see and I won't know for another month or so if I will be able to get surgery, depends on where my breast cancer stands, if I'll even be able to do it. I was just diagnosed about a month ago, I've taken this month to make some unpopular decisions, but now I'm ready to find out what kind it is, how big it is, what stage it is before I tell the doctors I am not going to undergo treatment. I'm 70, I'm opting for quality of life over quantity. And my nephew has been banned from using my phone for several years now. He's also banned from being around me. I have 3 1/2 years left on the Protective Order, I just hope I have 3 1/2 years.

On 4/19/2021 at 6:44 AM, smittykins said:

Not going to lie, I miss the phones with the physical keyboard.  I always texted more accurately with them.

And faster. You have to be more precise on touch screens, and it slows you down.

• Love 4

I've never had a cell phone of any kind, the 20 year old land line thing hanging on the kitchen wall is sufficient to my needs.  What's more, just today, I put all my throw pillows on the top shelf of the closet and took down the light colored spring and summer ones.

Feel free to say, "Okay boomer."

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I've had car and condo insurance with Progressive (The condo was via Progressive, but was called Homesite.)  After my 12/2019 accident with the cold water valve that created a huge unintended release of water, Homesite jacked my rate up so high, I couldn't afford it. God help me, I went to LiMu, which gave me a pretty decent rate, until I discovered it was only for 6 months. I cancelled and have been without homeowner's insurance since January.  ($48 payment fee, in addition to the huge premium)

NOW that the car insurance needs renewing, they've jacked up that rate, too, disregarding the age of the car, how little I drive anymore...

We have a local thrift shop that uses its profits to help animal shelters & homeless pets. Above them, in the upstairs office, is a State Farm Agent who has pledged a $10 donation to Second Life for every new policy, so I called them.

I will be taking a gallon of Ranch Dressing to Ms. Madison, who told me she hasn't written a quote with this low a premium in a long time. No more commuting, now that I'm retired, the car's too old for too much coverage, Safe Driver discounts...and the condo insurance ignored the water issue after I told her I've had ALL my valves replaced and it won't happen again in my lifetime.

AND the homeless pets/shelters got another $10.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 20

I will be taking a gallon of Ranch Dressing to Ms. Madison, who told me she hasn't written a quote with this low a premium in a long time. No more commuting, now that I'm retired, the car's too old for too much coverage, Safe Driver discounts...and the condo insurance ignored the water issue after I told her I've had ALL my valves replaced and it won't happen again in my lifetime.

What? No Cuckoo Crusties?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Ugh, not this again.

The only thing good on that whole list is perhaps my favorite movie of all time, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, which airs May 1st on MeTV at 8:00pm (Svengoolie). 

TVLand already has Andy on all day and night. Seems redundant.

• Love 1

On 4/20/2021 at 3:02 PM, janie jones said:

And faster. You have to be more precise on touch screens, and it slows you down.

And they always "think" they know better than you when it comes to autofill/autocorrect.

• Love 2
On 4/28/2021 at 9:10 AM, icemiser69 said:

Ugh, not this again.

The only thing good on that whole list is perhaps my favorite movie of all time, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, which airs May 1st on MeTV at 8:00pm (Svengoolie). 

They used Bon Ami!!!!!!!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Discussion on quinoa. It's not new. I remember taking a quinoa salad to a potluck at least 15 years ago. One of the health benefits is that it is high in protein. It takes on flavors well, so it can be quite tasty.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Discussion on quinoa. It's not new.

Not at all.  But maybe it's not readily familiar in some regions (because "I've never had it" is one thing, but "I've never heard of it" could mean something individual or a community norm).

About 20 years ago, my mom asked me what a potluck dish was, I said, "quinoa salad," and she asked what quinoa was.  Fast forward a few months, and she referred to a side dish on a menu as "kin-oh-uh" and asked me what it was.  "Not kinohuh, keenwah, like that salad you liked at M's party."  Hearing it pronounced and then seeing it written, she did not connect that it was the same thing.

• Love 1

What to do with un-toppinged pizza crust: Some say toss it, some say dip it in the ranch. I say, "Give to Stella."  One of my cats loves baked goods AND tomato sauce, so pizza is a gift from the heavens for her. She'll gnaw on the naked crust, leave it, and come back to it later.

• Love 4
Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

What to do with un-toppinged pizza crust: Some say toss it, some say dip it in the ranch. I say, "Give to Stella."  One of my cats loves baked goods AND tomato sauce, so pizza is a gift from the heavens for her. She'll gnaw on the naked crust, leave it, and come back to it later.

I had a tortie like that. Anything bread related - croissants, pancakes, pizza crust. She once try to take a bite of pancake right out of my mouth with her teeth. I theorized that since her mother was feral, she had been born under a dumpster behind a McDonalds and ate old hamburger buns when she was a baby.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What to do with un-toppinged pizza crust: Some say toss it, some say dip it in the ranch.

I used to just eat it. But now the ranch has come over me. 

• LOL 2

Stella's a tortie, too.  When Scooter (brown tabby) was alive, she'd eat almost anything orange - cantaloupe, pumpkin, carrots. She really like orange stuff except for the fruit. Cats & citrus don't usually get along.  I had another cat (dilute calico) that tried to keep kosher. If I gave her some pepperoni pizza, she'd pull the pepperoni off and eat the cheese. She ate matzoh ball soup, loved latkes (without the onions), and purred when she ate lox.  The fact that her mother was Pittypat Friedman may have had something to do with her Jewishness.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I'm watching the Match Game on Buzzr. This is kind of fun because you have to remember what was going on back then.  It's the big bonus - contestant, of course, selects Richard Dawson.  The clue was "Ace (blank)"  and because I've been watching too damn much TV/commercials, I say "Inhibitor" - but then realize that wasn't a thing in the 70s,  Bwaahahahaha,  (Contestant said "of spades" and Dawson said "in the hole," so she didn't win the big money.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm watching the Match Game on Buzzr. This is kind of fun because you have to remember what was going on back then.  It's the big bonus - contestant, of course, selects Richard Dawson.  The clue was "Ace (blank)"  and because I've been watching too damn much TV/commercials, I say "Inhibitor" - but then realize that wasn't a thing in the 70s,  Bwaahahahaha,  (Contestant said "of spades" and Dawson said "in the hole," so she didn't win the big money.)

Since it was the seventies I would have said Frehley. Even though I hated Kiss. No big money for me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Not much chance of the typical Match Game panel of the 70s even knowing who Ace Frehley was. 🤣

Probably not. I was in high school in the seventies so I knew who all the rockers were.

• Love 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, Darlabutterfly said:

*hangs head in shame and embarrassment*

I was coloring my hair in the shower and the drain clogged. I now have a brown ring circling my bathtub. I'm afraid to have a plumber over due to COVID and I have a case of the lazys mixed with fatigue from taking post-cancer medication, so ...

I’m guessing you’ve already tried all the DIY stuff (for unclogging the drain), right? Boiling water, baking soda/vinegar, plunger, drain snake, Drain-o…? In more or less that order? 

Anyway, once things are resolved, I’m putting in a plug for this stuff called Wet and Forgot for showers (for cleaning/keeping it clean). You basically spray it on your tub/shower once a week after a shower, and rinse it off the next day before the next shower. It may take a few weeks, but it seems to cut through anything, with no manual labor involved. I swear they’re not paying me, I just wish I’d discovered it sooner. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
editing to clarify which suggestion was for the clog & which was for cleaning.
  • Useful 4
(edited)

https://www.lorealparisusa.com/beauty-magazine/hair-color/hair-color-application/hair-dye-stains-bathroom.aspx

This tells you how to get hair color out of tubs.  However, don't use bleach if you have a a septic tank.    I'm not sure I would do the acetone, depending on the tub material, it might hurt the finish.   

So, we don't need a fancy cleaner, for everything, contrary to what the commercials tell you. 

Or the British way:

https://www.bathroomcity.co.uk/blog/how-clean-hair-dye-stains-different-bathroom-surfaces

I would try the baking soda/vinegar paste first. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Since it was the seventies I would have said Frehley. Even though I hated Kiss. No big money for me.

Same here.  I would have said Ace Frehley or Ace Ventura.  I'm a big rock fan, but I never took KISS seriously, to me they were sort of a joke. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Same here.  I would have said Ace Frehley or Ace Ventura*.  I'm a big rock fan, but I never took KISS seriously, to me they were sort of a joke. 

* But not in the 70s, obviously.

• Love 1

Actually, now that I think about it, there was a question(either in the later years of the CBS run or on the daily syndicated version)that went “Some things just don’t make sense.  I just saw an album called ‘Lawrence Welk’s Greatest Hits as Performed By _________.’”

And Marcia Wallace said “KISS.”

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Actually, now that I think about it, there was a question(either in the later years of the CBS run or on the daily syndicated version)that went “Some things just don’t make sense.  I just saw an album called ‘Lawrence Welk’s Greatest Hits as Performed By _________.’”

And Marcia Wallace said “KISS.”

image.png.a9ed0d360c9635fac9b1f77e90ac38ac.png

• LOL 4
(edited)

20 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

This commercial disgusts me.  Granny shouldn't be eating off of another persons plate.  Any person that starts eating off my plate will get a fork in their hand.

When I worked at a large law firm, one of the secretaries was a grumpy old woman named Eleanor. Another one (Karen) was one of those who liked to sample other folks' food. One day, Karen reached over to take a bite off Eleanor's plate and Eleanor did, indeed, stab Karen with her (plastic) fork, saying, "Keep your damn hands off my food."  Karen made sure she never went into the break room if Eleanor was in there after that.  And, yes, her name really was Karen.

ETA: As mockable as that Pat Boone album was, it was the first time I ever understood all the lyrics to Smoke on the Water.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

It's available on youtube for your hearing displeasure.  Pat's really rocking out on Enter Sandman.  The horn section really makes the song metal.  😁 

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! I recommend "Paradise City" and "Stairway to Heaven". Lounge lizard meets big band doing metal covers. I can't breathe right now.

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I wonder what made Karen think that she could just take a bite off of another person's plate?  Granted, Eleanor's reaction was a bit extreme, but I think most people would have a serious problem if someone attempted to eat off of their plate without asking.

I put Karen in a similar category to those who hug without asking first.  That is fine if those involved in the hug know each other really well.  I am just not a fan of anyone violating another person's personal space.

Even worse, people who force little kids to hug and kiss people when they don't want to. Consent is a thing, even if you're small.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I wonder what made Karen think that she could just take a bite off of another person's plate?  Granted, Eleanor's reaction was a bit extreme, but I think most people would have a serious problem if someone attempted to eat off of their plate without asking.

I put Karen in a similar category to those who hug without asking first.  That is fine if those involved in the hug know each other really well.  I am just not a fan of anyone violating another person's personal space.

Eleanor wasn't a fan either. No one understood why Karen was like that, but she did that to almost everyone who had a plate of food. If it was just a sandwich, she'd leave it alone, but if you had grapes with your sandwich, expect Karen to attempt to eat a grape of two.  I think Eleanor reacted the way she did because she finally got fed up and was the only one with guts enough to put Karen in her place.  I always went out to eat. I was in the building more hours than I wanted to be, so going out to eat was a lovely respite.

• Love 3

11 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I just don’t get having a TV on an exercise bike that shows beautiful scenery.  Seriously, do people really think they’re biking in the Alps?  I just put my butt on the seat and peddle.  

When I'm on my Road Trips, I love to take pictures of paths or roads lined with trees that go off into the distance, implying unknown adventures ahead.  It's been my fantasy (when I win LOTTO) to have a room in the house dedicated to exercising with murals of these roads on all four walls so I could pretend I'm biking on the Natchez Trace or on some woodland trail - and I'd pretend I have the stamina to do that!  And not think about doing dreary exercise.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Open a carton of ice cream and having multiple family members dive in with a spoon eating out of the carton all at the same time and putting the spoon back into the carton to get more..

That's not unusual within a family, but you have to teach the kids that it's fine at home, but you can't go do that at someone else's house.  Were they like that everywhere?

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's not unusual within a family, but you have to teach the kids that it's fine at home, but you can't go do that at someone else's house.  Were they like that everywhere?

I guess it depends of the culture and breeding of the family.  Neither sides of my family (two different European-heritage first generation Americans and immigrant parents, grandparents) would do that.  Just regular middle class John Q. Public types with varying degrees of education including some higher education.

It sounds gross and unsanitary to me.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's been my fantasy (when I win LOTTO) to have a room in the house dedicated to exercising with murals of these roads on all four walls so I could pretend I'm biking on the Natchez Trace or on some woodland trail - and I'd pretend I have the stamina to do that!  And not think about doing dreary exercise

I have a different brand elliptical, and for a yearly fee I can have google street view scenes of pretty much anywhere in the world. You can draw your own route or use of zillions of curated routes. They don't fool anyone, and I'm always watching some TV on my ipad at the same time, but it adds a bit of interest to see somewhere else in the world as I'm using it.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I guess it depends of the culture and breeding of the family. 

It has nothing to do with breeding, just any given family's stance towards germs (which can definitely be influenced by culture, yes). 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It has nothing to do with breeding, just any given family's stance towards germs (which can definitely be influenced by culture, yes). 

image.png.4c164d7d9e97e3b054a07afb5389c078.png

"It's like you're putting your whole mouth right in the dip. From now on just take one bite and end it!"

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

It sounds gross and unsanitary to me.

It is gross and unsanitary.   I can't imagine anyone doing that.  It's like drinking straight from the container of milk or juice.  It's disgusting.    

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2