Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

(From one of the other threads)

Most dictionaries recognize it as a noun and an adjective, but I only use it as an adjective; it's used as a noun in so many derogatory sentences that I find even benign instances tainted by the prevalence of that sexist usage.

I only wish "female" would be used as adjective instead of "woman," which is so ungrammatical and to me, not complimentary at all. No one ever hears of "man" doctor or plumber.

• Love 1
Just now, susannah said:

I only wish "female" would be used as adjective instead of "woman," which is so ungrammatical and to me, not complimentary at all. No one ever hears of "man" doctor or plumber.

That's a recurring annoyance with Jeopardy! categories - shit like "Women Authors".  First, no; just incorporate women into the "Authors" categories instead of shunting them off into the occasional, gender specific one.  Second, again no; in a show celebrating knowledge, do not improperly use a noun as an adjective (unlike with "female", there are no reputable dictionaries claiming "woman" can be either one).

• Love 4

The early years of Columbo I think are still the best overall.

100%. The later ones were still good but they didn't have the same sting. My only exception would be No Time To Die, 1992. It's a different kind of Columbo episode. It's in real time, he has the entire force on the case and the young female protagonist is as far from the helpless damsel in distress trope as you can get.

(see how I used female as an adjective?)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I thoroughly enjoyed, A Trace of Murder (David Rasche).  Whenever that is on, that is one of the ones I won't miss.

If you like David Rasche, you should look for Sledge Hammer!, the show he had in the 80s. It only lasted 41 episodes, and I always try to talk it up because so few people seem to have heard of it.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

If you like David Rasche, you should look for Sledge Hammer!, the show he had in the 80s. It only lasted 41 episodes, and I always try to talk it up because so few people seem to have heard of it.

I remember that. It was kind of silly but funny like Airplane, right?

• Love 4

Except when I pop into a small talk thread, I never know ahead of time what is being discussed or in that case disgust.  If there was a women's bodily function thread all on its own, I would know enough to never enter that thread.

Yeah, that's a good idea to have a separate thread for women's and men's bodily functions.

• Love 1

I like Sledge Hammer!, but hate the laugh track that is embedded in it.  I don't like laugh tracks in general and really hate them in cartoons.

I HATE laugh tracks! One reason I love The Office and The Simpsons so much.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have watched the first few episodes of season one of Chicago Fire.  Voight (Chicago PD) has a story line that started in the third episode in season one of Chicago Fire.   He was an asshole even then and that is long before (2 years before) Chicago PD, became a series.

I am liking the early season one episodes of Chicago Fire.  They are new to me, and something new to watch.

I won't spoil any of it.  If you get a chance to watch or DVR it, it is on Ion on Tuesdays.

That Voight story line is intense,  Very intense.

I haven't seen any of the trio but not for lack of availability.  They are on one channel, I forget which, close to around the clock one or two days a week.

• Love 1
(edited)

Decades has Binge weekends, starting mid-day Saturday and running through Monday morning around 7am  EST.  Which is fine as long as it is a series that I like.  If it isn't then I just avoid the channel.

Same. I was really hoping for a Mod Squad marathon commemorating the death of Clarence Williams III. I'll never get over being pissed that they took off Dark Shadows.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Useful 1

I get Decades via antenna as a sub-channel of my Fox affiliate. It's been weird for about the past two weeks - when you surf to the channels, the blurb at the top right that tells you what channel it is and what show is on has been mixed up - there is, of course, one main channel, but 4 other sub-channels and each one has the name of one of the others' shows.  The main channel says it's showing The Match Game, the channel that actually IS airing TMG says it's showing some movie and the movie channel says it's airing what's really on Decades and Decades says it's showing the action show that's on the fourth channel, which says it's airing the local news (from the main channel.)

My NBC affiliate's been weird, too - I'll watch the local news at 6, Nightly News at 6:30 - so far, so good. But then Wheel comes on at 7 and up until the first commercial, the closed captioning is for local news, while Pat's interviewing the contestants. After the commericals, it corrects itself.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, smittykins said:

Aaaaand thanks for the earworm…I think.

*walks away singing “Believe it or not, I’m walking on air…“*

I love that song!

• Love 4
15 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Now on the other hand, Kokomo and Copacabana, both of those songs I hate with a passion. 

I lived in Kokomo...no, the other Kokomo. It was not at all as the song made it out to be.

• LOL 4

Here is the Start TV website link.  I receive it as a digital sub channel.  If you have it, as I have mention above in reference to Decades (another digital sub-channel), it would most likely be coming through one of your local ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox affiliates as a digital sub-channel.  You might even be able to pick it up via antenna.

At the Start TV website, they have a "Where to Watch link" at the top of their home page that you can click on.

Start TV is available on Hulu.

• Useful 1

Start TV is available through YouTube TV too. I'm doing the two week free trial with three months of $10 off since they also have the Olympic Channel and NBC Sports Network for when the Olympics happen. I'm guessing they will this time. On Start TV I've been enjoying seeing Any Day Now (which they show a content warning for at the start and at the middle) and Crossing Jordan which were two shows I enjoyed watching when they aired.  Seeing Ghost Whisperer again hasn't done much to lessen my annoyance when it comes to that show. I became annoyed with JLH herself after her behavior got that show The Client List cancelled.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Start TV is available through YouTube TV too. I'm doing the two week free trial with three months of $10 off since they also have the Olympic Channel and NBC Sports Network for when the Olympics happen. I'm guessing they will this time. On Start TV I've been enjoying seeing Any Day Now (which they show a content warning for at the start and at the middle) and Crossing Jordan which were two shows I enjoyed watching when they aired.  Seeing Ghost Whisperer again hasn't done much to lessen my annoyance when it comes to that show. I became annoyed with JLH herself after her behavior got that show The Client List cancelled.

What? I never heard about this.

18 hours ago, Jaded said:

I don't get Start TV but I would love to see Crossing Jordan and Any Day Now again! they aren't even out on dvd. I don't like JLH at all and don't watch anything she is in but I just read on the link that she wanted to put her boyfriend in the show. Poppy Montgomery did the same thing at the end of Without a Trace. Tatiana Maslany of Orphan Black also has brought her boyfriend in on shows she produces. Personally I think it would be embarrassing to need one's successful partners to get acting jobs.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, susannah said:

I don't get Start TV but I would love to see Crossing Jordan and Any Day Now again! they aren't even out on dvd. I don't like JLH at all and don't watch anything she is in but I just read on the link that she wanted to put her boyfriend in the show. Poppy Montgomery did the same thing at the end of Without a Trace. Tatiana Maslany of Orphan Black also has brought her boyfriend in on shows she produces. Personally I think it would be embarrassing to need one's successful partners to get acting jobs.

Seriously.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, susannah said:

I don't like JLH at all and don't watch anything she is in but I just read on the link that she wanted to put her boyfriend in the show....

He was already on the show playing her character's ex-husband which is how they met. JLH's character was in a relationship with the former brother in law who was supposed to be the father of the fictional baby. Instead she wanted the writers to make the father of her real life baby the father of the fictional baby which nobody wanted to happen except for her and maybe him.

In the comments of that Deadline article someone said during the last years of The Ghost Whisperer when she was dating Jamie Kennedy who had been cast on that show that she would try to refuse to do loving scenes with the actor who played her husband. 

Like I mentioned upthread my annoyance with JLH herself started after what she tried to make happen on The Client List. 

• Love 1

In the comments of that Deadline article someone said during the last years of The Ghost Whisperer when she was dating Jamie Kennedy who had been cast on that show that she would try to refuse to do loving scenes with the actor who played her husband. 

Wasn't Jim (her husband) dead by then?

It displeases me that I know this rather than useful information it's no doubt bumped out of my brain, but wasn't her husband sort of reincarnated and continued their relationship on the show in another, technically dead, man's body (but portrayed by the same actor as before to avoid viewer confusion)? So dead, but got better?

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

It displeases me that I know this rather than useful information it's no doubt bumped out of my brain, but wasn't her husband sort of reincarnated and continued their relationship on the show in another, technically dead, man's body (but portrayed by the same actor as before to avoid viewer confusion)? So dead, but got better?

Oh, jeez, something like that, because I remember my mom watched that show and my dad joined her sometimes, and I think he bitched about the not-dead husband thing for a solid year.  It was the same guy, played by the same actor, as you said, but I'm not sure beyond that.

Only she knew it was him, because to everyone else it was the guy whose body he'd taken over - so everyone thought she'd married someone else five minutes after her husband died?  Or the whole town knew and just accepted the notion dead people can take over other dead people's bodies and somehow come back to life?  Or not a dead body - he kicked a soul out of a living body and stole it?

I don't know, but I think I understand why my dad was irritated, whatever it was.

• LOL 4
(edited)

I remember that mess.  When they killed Jim off, my daughters and I were furious and swore to quit the show, except I heard that Jim wasn't gone for good.  I wasn't thrilled with ghost Jim hanging around, but that was only for a very short time, maybe a couple of episodes?

Spoiler

Melinda had been trying to get him to cross over and he didn't want to go, so they were kind of at an impasse.  Then one night Melinda is out for a walk, and ghost Jim is beside her.  They see a car accident and approach to see if someone needed help.  A man's body is lying on the road next to the car, and they see the ghost of the man climb out of his body then stand there looking at the sky and then back down to his body.  I think he was being given a choice to climb back in and continue as before, or move on and suddenly he starts floating upwards.  Choice is made.  Jim looks at Melinda and says something like, there's a body I could use and climbs in.

The body stirs, the man wakes up, Melinda is there and happy to see him, but he's got the brain and memories of the original guy, not Jim.  It turns out the guy is kind of a wanderer, moving around doing odd jobs, not putting down roots or forming relationships, things like that.  After Melinda realizes what happened, she offers the guy the chance to live in her garage while he finds work to fix his car.  I think she's hoping that being around her and the house will jog ol' Jim to the surface.

So as far as everyone else is concerned, newly widowed Melinda took in a stray and parked him in her garage and seems to be very attached to him, even protective of him.  They're worried Melinda is handling her grief in an unhealthy way and worry the guy in the garage is taking advantage of her.  

The guy in the garage makes no moves on Melinda and doesn't seem interested in her in a romantic way.  He helps around the house when asked, but he's not going out of his way to attach himself to Melinda.  I think he could have moved out, but maybe he worried that Melinda would just go find someone else to keep her company, someone that might take advantage of her obviously fragile mental state.

Melinda even told her friend Delia that the guy she just suddenly brought home one night is actually Jim, and Delia thinks Melinda has lost her ever-lovin' mind.  Seems Delia has just been pretending to believe that Melinda could talk to the dead, thinking it a harmless fantasy to spice up her boring life in a small town.  But with level-headed Jim gone, and Melinda trying to take a drifter and make him into Jim, Delia isn't going on with it anymore.  Delia eventually changes her mind when she finds the drifter playing basketball in the park at night with her teenage son.  It was something Jim always did and this guy admits that he has no idea why, but he felt compelled to drive by the park, saw Delia's son, and joining him for a game of one-on-one seemed...right.  Delia is about to go scorched earth on him and tell him to stay away from her son, and maybe do everyone a favor and leave town, but something about the way he is acting and looking at her  pulls her up short, and she suddenly sees Jim in there.

Eventually things resolve themselves when Melinda is in mortal danger, something to do with water.  Caught in a flash flood or something?  Jim-but-not-Jim shows up and rescues her.  For the umpteenth time, he was on his way out of town and away from this lady he's realized is crazy, and yet again something happens and he doesn't leave just yet.

After Melinda is safe, she gets another surprise.  She'd finally come to the heartwrenching conclusion that Jim is gone and is prepared to let this guy go, but he started talking to her like Jim would, and she realized that Jim is back.  She also realized that Jim didn't have any recollection of being dead, jumping into another body, etc.

Obviously the best course of action would be to take him home, let him enter the dark house and flip on the light so the first thing he'd see was himself in the hallway mirror and see some stranger staring back at him.  Somehow I would have thought the gentle approach would be the right way to go.

The next couple of episodes are filled with wacky hijinks as Jim keeps forgetting he's dead to everyone but he, Melinda, and Delia.  He keeps trying to talk to people he once knew, acting like he's really Jim, and they're understandably upset by Melinda's stray trying to pretend he's Jim.  He never admits that he's really Jim, (that would be a hard thing to proove), so they decide he's heard so much about Jim that he's trying to become Jim to furthur worm his way into Melinda's heart.

Obviously, the best thing to do would be for them to sell the house and move away, so they could start fresh in a town that isn't suspicious of the whole the whole relationship.  But they decide to stick it out and the last scene of the last episode of the second to the last season is Melinda finding out she's pregnant, and she's far enough along to safely conclude that original Jim is the father.

From the moment Jim died, it's just one eyeroll after another.

It got pretty silly in the end.  The last season was bloody awful.  Remember the time jump so Melinda's little boy could get old enough to see ghosts, too?

Anyway, was it ever confirmed that Jim was killed off so JLH could install her latest boyfriend on the show and give her a new love interest?

Edited by Zahdii
spelling, and adding more rediculousness to the mess of what happened after Jim died.
  • Useful 2

I remember my sister being really into "Ghost Whisperer" back in the day and getting rather annoyed with the show in its latter seasons, but I'd only ever seen glimpses of it when I was her place, so I didn't know all the details. 

Judging from the description @Zahdii gives of what happened on that show, yeah, that would bug me, too. What a weird storyline. 

• Love 2

Eh, I guess you're right as I look at the lyrics now, but they are blah, blah nonsense enough that I can see why as a kid I just thought it was boppy fun.  Right up there with Chewy, Chewy. However, 1,2,3 Red Light turns out to be a lot more explicit than I remember.

• Love 1

Consistently when the artists are asked if there are any deeper, darker meanings to their song lyrics they usually deny them.  I think I read that was the case with the "Yummy" song too.

This topic is starting to remind me of the 3 little piggies, LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Consistently when the artists are asked if there are any deeper, darker meanings to their song lyrics they usually deny them.

Yeah, I think a lot of musicians really don't like delving into the meaning of their lyrics in general. They prefer to leave it up to interpretation much of the time. Plus, given how many songs are written under the influence of drugs or alcohol, the artists probably couldn't tell you what the hell the song's about even if they wanted to :p. 

I remember that "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy" song being played on an old episode of the Timon & Pumbaa cartoon, only they referred to bugs instead of love. So if the song did have any more innuendo-laden meaning, well...makes playing it in a kids' cartoon all the more amusing/weird :p. 

Edited by Annber03
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 6/26/2021 at 3:27 PM, icemiser69 said:

Speaking of bubble gum bands, the Ohio Express may have been considered a bubble gum band, but their song, Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, lyrics-wise doesn't seem all that sweet and innocent to me.  IMO, it doesn't leave much to the imagination.  I have nothing against the song.  I think it has an edge to it, even though it would probably be classified as bubblegum music.  I think the lyrics for that song really would put it in a different category.

I remember back in the day when some people threw a fit over Frankie Goes to Hollywood's song, Relax..   I put that song in a similar category as Yummy, Yummy, Yummy.

I recall Dick Cavett mocking Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, bemoaning the state of creativity in the 70s.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I recall Dick Cavett mocking Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, bemoaning the state of creativity in the 70s.

Dick Cavett was a cool guy.  I loved his show and remember when he had Janis Joplin on.  And, of course, John Lennon.

• Love 4
On 6/27/2021 at 8:46 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Yeah, I'm not surprised, a lot of people did which is one reason why a lot of kids in my generation turned our noses up at it, LOL.  Looking back on it though, even that music is IMO more creative than some of the stuff that becomes popular now.

• Love 3
On 6/26/2021 at 10:14 PM, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I think a lot of musicians really don't like delving into the meaning of their lyrics in general. They prefer to leave it up to interpretation much of the time. Plus, given how many songs are written under the influence of drugs or alcohol, the artists probably couldn't tell you what the hell the song's about even if they wanted to :p. 

So are you telling me Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds really isn't about LSD?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

In grade school, my music class spent an entire half school year talking about The Beatles, listening to their music, playing albums backwards.  Playing albums slowly.  The whole deal. 

That same music teacher allowed kids for one class per week to bring in an album for the rest of the class to listen to.  Someone brought in an Elton John album, and the music teacher wouldn't allow it to be played, because at that time John's music was on the radio constantly. That was back in the seventies.

This is reminding me of my year spent at a French high school where my only selling point was as a translator of Beatles songs. 

• LOL 3
6 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

That sounds like something you would hear in a proctologist's waiting room. 

Eh, I gave it a shot.  It is friggin' hot and I am off of my game.  That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it.  Much like my sweaty legs are stickin' to my chair.

God, I know. It's not as bad today but yesterday I was hard put to string a sentence together.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

God, I know. It's not as bad today but yesterday I was hard put to string a sentence together.

It is hotter here in MT today than it has been so far this week. They're calling it a hundred year all time high... my brain is mush... It is 100° and I have no AC...

4 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

It is hotter here in MT today than it has been so far this week. They're calling it a hundred year all time high... my brain is mush... It is 100° and I have no AC...

Do you have fans? I found some relief yesterday by having a bowl of ice water next to me and dropping a washcloth in it and the plastering it on the back of my neck or over my thighs and sitting in front of a fan. Also put your feet in a basin of of ice water and sit in front of a fan. Also misters, which I alternated in the fridge.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Do you have fans? I found some relief yesterday by having a bowl of ice water next to me and dropping a washcloth in it and the plastering it on the back of my neck or over my thighs and sitting in front of a fan. Also put your feet in a basin of of ice water and sit in front of a fan. Also misters, which I alternated in the fridge.

Ceiling fans, I do the wet washcloth/cold water a couple times an hour and misting. Drinking lots of cold water. Today is supposed to be the hottest and then cooling down to mid 90's...yeah not great, but better. 

• Love 1
Just now, Gramto6 said:

Ceiling fans, I do the wet washcloth/cold water a couple times an hour and misting. Drinking lots of cold water. Today is supposed to be the hottest and then cooling down to mid 90's...yeah not great, but better. 

it's 83 here today after being 106 yesterday. I think it broke some time in the middle of the night. We have been sleeping with just a sheet and last night I woke up at around three am and I was cold! We have a fan in front of an open window in the bedroom and the lovely cool breeze gave me such a feeling of joy and relief, I can hardly describe it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

I feel you. It was 116 here in Portland yesterday, hottest temp ever, and 108/115 over the weekend, also heat records, I don't have ac either and just a couple small fans. It's is only 92 today but I don't feel human yet. This was just too hard. I hope you are managing.

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

As for John Lennon, the more I read about him, the less I like him.  If the stories I have read are true, he could at times be a very mean person.

I believe he and Paul were musical geniuses but I also think he was not a nice person.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, susannah said:

I feel you. It was 116 here in Portland yesterday, hottest temp ever, and 108/115 over the weekend, also heat records, I don't have ac either and just a couple small fans. It's is only 92 today but I don't feel human yet. This was just too hard. I hope you are managing.

Blech D:. It's been warm/hot here in Iowa for the past month or so, but not THAT bad, thankfully. I think the hottest we've gotten thus far has been 98 degrees. We've had heat indexes around 100 degrees, but our actual temperatures haven't quite hit that level yet. Which is fine with me, I'm certainly in no rush to experience those kinds of temperatures. 

I really feel for you guys who are dealing with this insane heat wave. I hope cooler weather returns as soon as possible for you all. 

• Love 6

Living in Oklahoma, where we usually have 10-20 days a year over 100, ya'll have my sympathy. We've been to the upper 90s but that's it so far this year. This past week we've had a lot of rain and temps in the 80s, I love it. Except one dog will not go outside if it's raining, has rained in the past 48 hours or looks like it might rain in the next 48 hours. Ok, he's not quite that bad, but I count it good if I get him out once a day. I know he needs to go out more but he stands at the back door and braces himself and will not budge. The other day, the young woman who lives with us tried to push him out, didn't happen, she had to go out and pull him out the door. I really should film him and his antics. The pittie goes out just fine, he doesn't want to stay long and that's ok.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Living in Oklahoma, where we usually have 10-20 days a year over 100, ya'll have my sympathy. We've been to the upper 90s but that's it so far this year. This past week we've had a lot of rain and temps in the 80s, I love it. Except one dog will not go outside if it's raining, has rained in the past 48 hours or looks like it might rain in the next 48 hours. Ok, he's not quite that bad, but I count it good if I get him out once a day. I know he needs to go out more but he stands at the back door and braces himself and will not budge. The other day, the young woman who lives with us tried to push him out, didn't happen, she had to go out and pull him out the door. I really should film him and his antics. The pittie goes out just fine, he doesn't want to stay long and that's ok.

My cat used to get angry with me if he was out in the weather. He would look at me like "you could stop this wet stuff if you wanted to!" Sounds like you have a weather dog..that might come in handy!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Our cats couldn't care less about the weather :p. Maybe, every great once in a while, if there's a particularly loud clap of thunder or something, they'll look up like, "What was that noise?" Otherwise, they're totally unfazed. We've had bad storms that our cats will sleep straight through-the only time they ever wake up during them is if we're trying to get them into the kitty carriers should we need to take shelter :p. 

It is cute in the wintertime, though, 'cause sometimes they will lay in a spot in the kitchen where the sunlight comes in, as it's all nice and toasty warm there :). 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

Our cats couldn't care less about the weather

Thank you for saying "couldn't care less" instead of the incorrect-but-more-common "could care less."  Also for "unfazed" instead of "unphased".

• Love 10