Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

They're not all that poisonous (not that I recommend it). I called the poison hotline when I found that my young son had eaten an *entire* apple. They said not to worry; that you'd have to eat a whole pile of seeds to get sick. And he's now 25 years old, so I guess they were right.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Just don't eat the apple seeds.  They have cyanide in them.

My husband's ex-wife used to eat ALL of the apple, core, stem, seeds, because she was too lazy to throw the core away. She's still alive and collecting alimony.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Just don't eat the apple seeds.  They have cyanide in them.

So do peach and apricot pits and cherry pits do too. I saw an episode of some detective show where they made cyanide from cherry pits and another one where they made a "tea" of fly strips and made strychnine.

• Love 2

It only makes you sound muffled until you get used to it being in your mouth and you adjust to talking with it in. Takes 3-4 days to sound totally normal, but even day 2 is noticeably less muffley. I suspect they advertise with muffle because there's some subconscious thing where people seeing it in but not hearing a difference would find that less believable.

Have you used Invisalign? I'm very curious. I had braces as a kid and my teeth have shifted back somewhat.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Have you used Invisalign? I'm very curious. I had braces as a kid and my teeth have shifted back somewhat.

Strong recommendation from me!  I had straight teeth all my life until that dreaded gravity hit and my front tooth started to go wonky.  After 3 months, the teeth are all back where they belong.  

An added benefit is that it helps keep you from noshing during the day because you have to take them out and rinse them every time you eat something.

• Useful 1
On 4/28/2022 at 11:19 AM, peacheslatour said:

So do peach and apricot pits and cherry pits do too. I saw an episode of some detective show where they made cyanide from cherry pits and another one where they made a "tea" of fly strips and made strychnine.

I think the cherry one was a Poirot episode. Yes to the peach and apricot pits too. 

• Love 1
On 5/1/2022 at 12:10 AM, nokat said:

I think the cherry one was a Poirot episode. Yes to the peach and apricot pits too. 

Back in the 70s there was research  being done on using a compound in ground apricot pits (laertrile) as a cancer treatment.  Unfortunately,  it was yet another dead end.

19 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Back in the 70s there was research  being done on using a compound in ground apricot pits (laertrile) as a cancer treatment.  Unfortunately,  it was yet another dead end.

I remember the great hope/hype around Laetrile back in the day.   Unfortunately not a successful treatment. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

I remember the great hope/hype around Laetrile back in the day.   Unfortunately not a successful treatment. 

On the upside if you use Laetrile you may not die of cancer, you'll die from cyanide poisoning..

Re: Denny's

There's a Denny's on the other side of the expressway from the county jail. My friend was arrested on shoplifting charges (later dropped) and after I bailed him out, we went there. I saw several groups of people where I recognized one of the members of the group from the bunch of us posting bail.

Say what you will about Denny's, but it beats jail food.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There's a Denny's on the other side of the expressway from the county jail. My friend was arrested on shoplifting charges (later dropped) and after I bailed him out, we went there. I saw several groups of people where I recognized one of the members of the group from the bunch of us posting bail.

And talk about convenience!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Dunno about that. I'm surprised your friend and the other former detainees didn't tunnel their way BACK to the jailhouse cafeteria from the Denny's restroom!

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

Dunno about that. I'm surprised your friend and the other former detainees didn't tunnel their way BACK to the jailhouse cafeteria from the Denny's restroom!

Hahahaha, No. Denny's is marginally better than our county jail's food, even though they've got a great kitchen.  The volunteers at Thanksgiving for the Feed the Homeless and Hungry dinner are in that kitchen all night long, preparing the food. The year I volunteered, I ripped up bread for stuffing and opened giant cans of corn.

Anyway, I'm not sure this would be the slogan Denny's would want: "Denny's. Marginally better than jail food."

• LOL 10
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Hahahaha, 

Anyway, I'm not sure this would be the slogan Denny's would want: "Denny's. Marginally better than jail food."

Or how about : "Denny's. Keeping former inmates out of prison via them  not wanting to chance having to eat it again after being released!"

• LOL 1

Denny's is one of those places that is very hit & miss depending on the cooks, due to working strange hours it's sometimes the only place to get something to eat and I've tried quite a few. Had good, bad & fucking awful but obviously never great.

• Love 5

I don't understand how Denny's stays in business in a world where Waffle House and IHOP are options. Of course, I also don't understand how Applebee's stays in business when there are ANY other restaurants people can go to.

• Love 4

We have no Waffle Houses near me. The Applebee's near me closed during the pandemic. It was a stand-alone in the shopping mall, which has been losing anchor stores left and right (Sears, Lord & Taylor (I think they went out of business), and Nordstroms). Our county library took over a large space in the mall. Since there is plenty of parking, it makes for a good space for the library, which includes community use rooms.

• Love 5
On 5/10/2022 at 12:12 PM, proserpina65 said:

Around here it IS somewhere extended family would go after church and somewhere drunk people would go late at night.  And pretty much everything in between for those looking for affordable comfort food.  I like Denny's well enough for what it is.

I feel like most diners open 24 hours are going to both be a place to go after the bars close, and be a place for families to go for brunch.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I don't understand how Denny's stays in business in a world where Waffle House and IHOP are options. Of course, I also don't understand how Applebee's stays in business when there are ANY other restaurants people can go to.

There isn't a Waffle House or a Denny's in my area but we do have an IHOP and an Applebees.  I haven't been to IHOP in years.  Last time I was there, I hated their coffee.  I don't go to Applebees often but I like it. 

Being lucky enough to still have "Mom & Pop" options for 24-hour dining in my and most nearby neighborhoods, I have limited experience with the chains being discussed, so I'm spoiled, but, yeah, I can't imagine eating at Denny's sober or even hungover if there was a better option, let alone being excited about it.

• Love 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I definitely prefer IHOP but there are none particularly close to me, and I'm not making a special trip just to eat at one.  If I'm in the area of one for other reasons, then I do choose it.  And while there are Waffle Houses in both my town and the next one over, the one in my town was terrible, seemed only to appeal to drug dealers and closed a few years ago, and the one in the other town was mediocre at best.  Nowhere near as good as the Denny's in my town.  Ultimately I'd go to the local privately owned place that serves similar type of food but its hours are not always convenient.  

As Welshman said, Denny's food depends on who's doing the cooking.  The one near me tends to keep good cooks and is kept in good shape, cleanliness-wise, probably due to it being part of a truck stop.  Truckers are surprisingly picky about where they eat.  I don't really get the sneering at Denny's as a whole because, like any other chain, quality varies so much from location to location.  It's not fancy food, but it is comfort food done relatively quickly, and sometimes that is what people want.

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Waffle House makes damn fine cheeseburgers for a breakfast joint.

Not the one in my town.  Its food was terrible.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can't imagine eating at Denny's sober or even hungover if there was a better option, let alone being excited about it.

Well, I've never excited about Denny's but where I live it offers good, basic comfort food for a reasonable price 24/7.  Edited to note: it's also one of the few local places which offer breakfast all day, which is a plus when that's what I want.

Now Cracker Barrel I've been known to get excited about - their hashbrown casserole is the one thing I crave when I've had to fast for medical tests.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Now Cracker Barrel I've been known to get excited about - their hashbrown casserole is the one thing I crave when I've had to fast for medical tests.

My favorite place to pig out! I like to go around 4 p.m. so that I can claim I'm eating a late lunch/early dinner and not feel too bad about eating so much.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, mmecorday said:

My favorite place to pig out! I like to go around 4 p.m. so that I can claim I'm eating a late lunch/early dinner and not feel too bad about eating so much.

I like CB precisely because I can get SMALL portions. Most restaurants serve way too much food for me. Also, I can order a plate of four veggies of my choice.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, mmecorday said:

On my last Road Trip, I was stopped (early) for the night in Rhode Island. There was a tavern nearby and I went there for dinner.  When I walked in, the place was empty. TWO ladies at the hostess stand asked if they could help me. I said, "Oh, no! I've turned into one of those old people who eat dinner at 4 PM!!"  They told me it wasn't a problem. Meat loaf!!

2019.08.19.11 Woods Tavern Meatloaf.jpg

• Love 4

See the Kindle resting on some denim?  I cut off the bottom of a leg of old jeans, sewed it up, and it became a "case" for the Kindle. The hem of the jeans was the opening. Take out the Kindle, fold the pant leg into thirds, and it's a "stand" for the Kindle, holding it at an angle suitable for reading while eating dinner.

I need to make a new one. Bosco puked on the original and it had rhinestones glued on it, so I couldn't put it in the washer. I'm NOT washing out cat puke by hand.

• LOL 5
7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I need to make a new one. Bosco puked on the original and it had rhinestones glued on it, so I couldn't put it in the washer. I'm NOT washing out cat puke by hand.

That’s what those high pressure sprayer attachments are for!  But, serious question, what what happens when they throw up on your floor/rug/carpet?

6 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

That’s what those high pressure sprayer attachments are for!  But, serious question, what what happens when they throw up on your floor/rug/carpet?

Bissell Spot-Bot.  Majority lifted off via paper towel, Bissell handles the rest.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

On my last Road Trip, I was stopped (early) for the night in Rhode Island. There was a tavern nearby and I went there for dinner.  When I walked in, the place was empty. TWO ladies at the hostess stand asked if they could help me. I said, "Oh, no! I've turned into one of those old people who eat dinner at 4 PM!!"  They told me it wasn't a problem. Meat loaf!!

2019.08.19.11 Woods Tavern Meatloaf.jpg

Very random, but where did you get the RBG figure? I know someone who would love to have one as a gift.

• Love 3

Re: Stinky Body Parts...

Have you ever wondered if our interiors are smelly? When the docs cut us open for whatever reason, do icky smells emanate from our guts?  The air coming out of our lungs is sometimes smelly, the stuff coming out the other end is stinky in and of itself. Our body oils, if left to build up, smell bad. Belches stink, vomit stinks. Even blood has an odor.

Do they really stink? or are we just conditioned to think those are bad smells? I meant to ask the doc that removed my gall bladder, but he really didn't cut me open all that much - just 5 wee incisions that could be handled with Band-Aids. Are the bad smells part of the reason they invented that kind of surgery? Is that part of the reason they wear masks? Can Shannon Klingman help?

This is what happens when you can't sleep. Your mind goes into overdrive over nonsense.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Are the bad smells part of the reason they invented that kind of surgery? Is that part of the reason they wear masks?

The reason for the tiny incisions is to promote faster healing and be less invasive on the body. The reason they wear masks are the same reason we wear masks in this pandemic world - to prevent the transmission of disease. Lister was the one who realized we need to prevent germs/bacteria from infecting patients, thus sterilizing instruments and thorough scrubbing before surgery.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Have you ever wondered if our interiors are smelly?

I remember on M*A*S*H, when Hawkeye was temporarily blinded in an accident, he went into the OR and detected a "hint of bowel." I suspect areas of infection or dead tissue smell pretty bad. I read recently that after human beings die, we pretty much smell like garbage.

This is wonderful stuff to be discussing on my lunch break. :D

• LOL 4

The answer to all your smelly questions is bacteria.  And fungus in some cases, but mostly bacteria.  We are teeming with bacteria, inside and out, and the vast majority of them are good and helpful.  We could not survive without them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 5/24/2022 at 3:13 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I meant to ask the doc that removed my gall bladder, but he really didn't cut me open all that much - just 5 wee incisions that could be handled with Band-Aids.

I'm pretty sure they pull out the gallbladder in a bag. I'm thankful for laparoscopic surgery when I had my gallbladder removed. Little Band-Aid wounds and tiny scars.

I'm not sure about our innards smelling, unless you cut into the stomach or intestines. I do know that if I eat a lot of spicy food it comes out of my pores. 

• Love 1

I was watching Doctor Pimple Popper last night and she had a patient with rhinophyma, which is caused by rosacea. Dr. Lee said one theory about the cause of rosacea is too many face mites. Yes, we have tiny little mites on our faces.

And The Face Mites is totally going to be the name of my punk band.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 5/26/2022 at 11:37 AM, mmecorday said:

I was watching Doctor Pimple Popper last night and she had a patient with rhinophyma, which is caused by rosacea. Dr. Lee said one theory about the cause of rosacea is too many face mites. Yes, we have tiny little mites on our faces.

And The Face Mites is totally going to be the name of my punk band.

Cordie and the Face Mites! Heee!

• LOL 2

From say what commercials and Crown Royal.

I have a fond memory of Crown Royal. It was the favorite of my Master thesis advisor. One day he came in the lab to see me, and I was at my wits end trying to get an instrument to work, almost in tears. He said, come down to my office. When I got there, he pulled out a bottle of Crown Royal from a desk drawer and poured us both a glass. We formulated a plan that solved the problem.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

@Annber03 ... omg I am seriously addicted to true crime shows.  Which ones do you watch? My hubs favorite is See No Evil. I like Evil Lives Here. But I'm getting  pissed at Discovery because they keep teasing new episodes of American Detective with Joe Kenda, but they aren't on the schedule. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

@Annber03 ... omg I am seriously addicted to true crime shows.  Which ones do you watch? My hubs favorite is See No Evil. I like Evil Lives Here. But I'm getting  pissed at Discovery because they keep teasing new episodes of American Detective with Joe Kenda, but they aren't on the schedule. 

Oh, that sucks, yeah. I know there was a period there where they had new episodes of their shows exclusively on the Discovery Plus site, and then after some complaints I think they relented and let them air on the channel itself. I don't know if that's what's going on with that show, or if they've just yet to add the new episodes to their rotation on the network, or what. But hopefully they'll be available for you to watch soon!

As for shows I like to watch, "See No Evil" is good, as is "Evil Lives Here" (though some of the stories on the latter are....intense, to say the very least). I also liked "Fatal Vows" when that show was airing, and "A Crime to Remember" was good, too. And I like "American Monster", and "People Magazine Investigates", and shows of that sort, too.

I also watch "Dateline", "20/20", and "48 Hours", too. I don't know if you've come across the forums for those shows that are on this site, or the general true crime forum we have that's kind of a catch-all for all the ID shows, but if not, I would definitely recommend checking them out as there's often good discussion in them :). 

• Love 3
On 5/29/2022 at 5:52 PM, chessiegal said:

From say what commercials and Crown Royal.

I have a fond memory of Crown Royal. It was the favorite of my Master thesis advisor. One day he came in the lab to see me, and I was at my wits end trying to get an instrument to work, almost in tears. He said, come down to my office. When I got there, he pulled out a bottle of Crown Royal from a desk drawer and poured us both a glass. We formulated a plan that solved the problem.

And the purple velvet bag ended up holding your scrabble tiles.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Really ? And here I was innocently thinking people used them for their drug paraphernalia, I mean scrabble tiles, the horror of it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

My college roommate kept her dildo neck massager in a Crown Royal bag.

I used to watch the ID Channel quite a bit, but it started to give me nightmares after a while. I liked "Fear Thy Neighbor" but sometimes it was hard to tell who the more rational neighbor was.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

My college roommate kept her dildo neck massager in a Crown Royal bag.

I used to watch the ID Channel quite a bit, but it started to give me nightmares after a while. I liked "Fear Thy Neighbor" but sometimes it was hard to tell who the more rational neighbor was.

We also watch "The First 48." Favorite are the homicide detectives in Tulsa.

• Love 1

To tell someone they have to buy something to use a service that really costs nothing is bad public relations and customer service. But then I've gone into a fast-food place and used the bathroom without buying anything.

It may or may not be bad public relations, but it certainly isn't bad customer service as a person that never buys anything is not a customer.  There's a pizza place right next door to the laundromat I use.  There is no bathroom in the laundromat.  The pizza place has a single use toilet.  If he didn't make you buy something to use the bathroom, paying customers would never get a chance to and then he would have less of those.  

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, Katy M said:

It may or may not be bad public relations, but it certainly isn't bad customer service as a person that never buys anything is not a customer.  There's a pizza place right next door to the laundromat I use.  There is no bathroom in the laundromat.  The pizza place has a single use toilet.  If he didn't make you buy something to use the bathroom, paying customers would never get a chance to and then he would have less of those.  

My husband manages one of the largest model railroading shops in the country. He always says the window shoppers and looky loos waste more of his and his staff's time than several paying customers put together and that's just a hobby shop. Gas stations do not need customer relations. A lot of people still need gas and they're going to buy it regardless if they let people use their squeegees for free or not.

• Love 6