Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Harry24 said:

I haven’t been following the changes that have been going on in baseball, especially in playoff formats etc, but one thing I’m happy to see is that all the games (this round at least) are on one channel.  I hated having to search around to find the damn game, already!

This slightly outweighs not having Ron Darling as an analyst anywhere.  I hope Met fans are consoled with having David Cone.  Poor Phillies-Cards fans getting stuck with Michael Kay and A-Rod.  Blech.

Well, at least #$%FP Santangelo is no longer broadcasting.  Thank you,  Jesus!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

It's weird hearing Michael Kay doing a non Yankees game.

It makes him more tolerable.  The Phillies winning is what happens when I get up to go to a fish fry, and the Cards score, but I don't get back in time and the Phillies win.

I'm  a Reds and Nationals fan, so I was rooting for spontaneous combustion really.

Also I don't want Bryce Harper to ever win a World Series. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Harry24 said:

...one thing I’m happy to see is that all the games (this round at least) are on one channel.

Check again - I'm seeing games listed on ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2 all weekend.

Edited by Moose135

What the hell?  Why did the Met hug the Padre first baseman when the Met hit a single?  (I’m going to say McNeil? And that guy who used to be an Oriole?)

You guys are on OPPOSITE teams.  There is no hugging during battle!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

Both Shane’s in the TB/CLE series were unhittable today.  Other than a couple mistakes, which led to the only scores (via HRs by two small ball teams).

They both pitched great and, the game was one of the shortest I've ever attended at under two and a half hours.  Both got right down to business and threw the ball and, with no a lot of hits, not too many baserunners which also sped things up.  It was overcast and cold in Cleveland today, so I was grateful that Bieber went right to work and mowed 'em down in a hurry.  McKenzie is similarly quick when he pitches, so tomorrow's game might be a shortie, too.

For those who wondered, when the game ended they played Cleveland Rocks from the Drew Carey show immediately followed by My Town by the Michael Stanley band.  Excellent musical choices

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

What the hell?  Why did the Met hug the Padre first baseman when the Met hit a single?  (I’m going to say McNeil? And that guy who used to be an Oriole?)

You guys are on OPPOSITE teams.  There is no hugging during battle!

There’s no hugging in baseball instead of crying will be a new phrase 😂

15 minutes ago, Notabug said:

They both pitched great and, the game was one of the shortest I've ever attended at under two and a half hours.  Both got right down to business and threw the ball and, with no a lot of hits, not too many baserunners which also sped things up.  It was overcast and cold in Cleveland today, so I was grateful that Bieber went right to work and mowed 'em down in a hurry.  McKenzie is similarly quick when he pitches, so tomorrow's game might be a shortie, too.

For those who wondered, when the game ended they played Cleveland Rocks from the Drew Carey show immediately followed by My Town by the Michael Stanley band.  Excellent musical choices

This song I think plays or used to at Tribe games.  

Todd is amazing 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yankees' fan watching Guardians/Rays and basically just rooting for Game 3.

Whatever happens, happens but I think I'd rather have the Yankees play the Rays in the LDS; more a "devil you know" thing. I'd rather the Yankees' away game(s) be at Yankee Stadium Southeast than at Progressive Field. The Cleveland fans have always been the 10th man and also too many bad memories from "The Jake": Sandy Alomar, Jr., the Knoblauch brain fart and "The Midges of October."

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Whatever happens, happens but I think I'd rather have the Yankees play the Rays in the LDS; more a "devil you know" thing. I'd rather the Yankees' away game(s) be at Yankee Stadium Southeast than at Progressive Field. The Cleveland fans have always been the 10th man and also too many bad memories from "The Jake": Sandy Alomar, Jr., the Knoblauch brain fart and "The Midges of October."

Outside of those memories you mentioned the Indians/Yankees has been completely one sided for the Bombers

Including coming down 2-0 against them in 2017, the year they had than 20 plus game winning streak 

4 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

Outside of those memories you mentioned the Indians/Yankees has been completely one sided for the Bombers

Including coming down 2-0 against them in 2017, the year they had than 20 plus game winning streak 

In 1997 and 2007, Cleveland sent the Yankees home to play golf. That's certainly  NOT one-sided for the Bombers. That Cleveland couldn't capitalize on those series victories to win a championship doesn't somehow make those losses any more palatable to Yankees' fans! 

1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

The midges seemed to have hatched overnight.  Here's hoping the Yankees get to meet them up close and personal next weekend.

I live a couple blocks from the lake and they plague us twice a year; usually May and then September/October.  When I was a kid, we called them Canadian soldiers since they invaded from the north, off the lake.

2 minutes ago, Notabug said:

The midges seemed to have hatched overnight.  Here's hoping the Yankees get to meet them up close and personal next weekend.

😱 Not what I wanted to hear.

I'm hoping Aaron Boone has a better plan to handle the situation than Joe Torre did 15 years ago! 

As I said, I'd much rather the Yankees play at the Trop than at Progressive Field. I consider that park and those great fans a big advantage for the Guardians. I know that the Yankees would have Game 5 at YS, but winner-take-all games have a life of their own, regardless of where they're played.

I am at a barbecue restaurant in the Catskills three hours from home and the game just hit the 14th and I could not be happier.  I’m rooting for Tampa but I’m also kinda hoping the fans who have stayed get rewarded.

• Love 1

Guardians win it on a walk off dinger from Gonzalez in the 15th! Guardians advance, and the Rays are eliminated. Frankly I’m surprised the Rays even made the playoffs given their shitty lineup, they are always a competitive team and they played above their talent level this season as that lineup was just not very good, they will have to improve it in order to go deeper in the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yeah it was amazing that Tampa made it.  Some of their postseason decisions over the years have not been good (like going with analytics in a World Series elimination game).  However, even though Cleveland had a game to give, a pretty decent defensive battle.  Some awesome pitching.

39 Strikeouts and 14/5 innings without a score from either team.  Both are MLB postseason records

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

In 1997 and 2007, Cleveland sent the Yankees home to play golf. That's certainly  NOT one-sided for the Bombers. That Cleveland couldn't capitalize on those series victories to win a championship doesn't somehow make those losses any more palatable to Yankees' fans! 

Kudos to you for showing Cleveland respect.

I belong to a Browns forum and on non football related things obviously Guardian baseball comes up.  The thought is there the team gets too intimated by the Yankees when they play them.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

Kudos to you for showing Cleveland respect.

I belong to a Browns forum and on non football related things obviously Guardian baseball comes up.  The thought is there the team gets too intimated by the Yankees when they play them.

I absolutely have respect for Cleveland and for their great fans. I've always enjoyed watching your team over the years. I've never once thought the (historical) Indians/(current) Guardians were ever intimidated by the Yankees. 

Intimidated? That's the Twins. The Yankees have been living rent-free in their heads for two decades. 😄 

As mentioned, I would have preferred having the Yankees play the Rays in the LDS. The Guardians are young and they're coming in hot. The Yankees were playing a different kind of baseball down the stretch as they had already clinched and it was all about the Judge HR chase. And now they'll have had close to a week's lay off since they last played. I think the Guardians could be dangerous.

• Love 2

I can’t believe they carted Springer off the field without seatbelting him down.  He looked like he was ready to topple over the whole time.  Scary collision and one hell of a comeback by Seattle.  My gut tells me that the Jays will win it in extra innings.  But I am rarely right about these things.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

That was a terrifying collision. I hope he's ok.

The injury protocols seem like they could be better all around. It was horrifying watching Profar collapse awhile back while being walked off the field, not even being supported.

Glad the Mariners are holding on though.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

We're only two days in and we've already seen an incredible 9th inning comeback by the Phillies yesterday, a 14.5 inning shut out on both sides ending in a bottom of the 15th walk-off HR to win a WC series, and currently watching a huge comeback by Seattle to take the lead in the game against the Jays. 

My team doesn't even start playing for three days and I'm glued to the screen. 😄

Seriously, is there anything better than Postseason Baseball? ❤

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

Survey says? Toronto says "no thanks" to advance to an ALDS.  What a choke job.  The Blue Jays die so Toronto fans will have to hope for a good dream of seeing maybe the Maple Leafs hoist a cup while they wait for the 2023 MLB Season

• Love 1

What a choke by the Jays. Such a disappointing end to the season for them, they had to expect a lot more from a team as talented as the one they have. The Mariners have been a surprise team, they’ll face the Astros in what will be a fun series.

• Love 1

Par for the course in Toronto. This was sealed with a failed trade deadline imo.

The real shame of it is I think I'm going to have to stop making fun of Leafs fans.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, cleo said:

The real shame of it is I think I'm going to have to stop making fun of Leafs fans.

I don't think so. At least the Blue Jays have two playoff series wins in the last decade and won the World Series recent enough that most people alive today would have been around to witness it and remember it.

I mean, this loss stinks...but this is still a growing young team. Yes, time is running out on the "potential" side of things but I wouldn't worry about this team just yet.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Phillies advance to play the Braves - as a Braves fan I would rather face the Phillies than the Cards to be honest, the Braves are more familiar with the Phillies and the Cards usually give them trouble.

Mets/Padres going to game 3.

• Love 1

Well, I picked one game to go the distance.  Just not the right one, but the one I'm happy for.  Sorta wanna see the Mets regain whatever made them good before their collapse (not something I'd say about 30-35 years ago).  Heck of a run from Pujols.  I would've been okay to see him exit outright with another title.  Which would've been pretty doubtful.  Not going to lose sleep over St. Louis.

Man, that Blue Jays/Mariners game was brutal (for the former).  While New York survives, the American League playoffs and its League Division Series are completely set.  Man, 8-1.  Even though Seattle had a game to give, totally brutal.  Hats off to the Mariners though!

BTW, I don't know about the Braves repeating, but I also don't know how they'll handle their failed bid to do so if they win the NL pennant only to lose to New York

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Seriously, is there anything better than Postseason Baseball? ❤

Most unfortunately I have no dog in this hunt being a lifelong SF Giants fan (well, we did have an amazing five year run once upon a time somewhat recently eh? still basking in that...). So I did not pay a lot of attention until the post season started, and what a start!

I have some dear friends that are as in love with the Cleveland (Indians) Guardians as I am with my Giants, and so I will be hoping against hope their spunky young team can beat NY.

6 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Sad end to the Cardinals season, but I was glad to see both Yadi and Albert hit on their last ABs. It's going to be incredibly weird to not see Yadi behind the plate next year. 

So.... go, Mets! 

What about Waino, is he coming back?

Well, I was planning on putting all of my Sunday picks at the same time + MNF.  Despite being unavailable for the second consecutive Sunday full of great action, I'll get them shortly before the 1:00 kickoff.  However, I guess I better post for the early Sunday 9:30 game.

Green Bay, as the designated home team, is favored by 8.5 over New York in London.  41.5 is the over/under.

The Packers & Giants game ends in a tie.  This isn't vintage Packers and the GMEN haven't been that bad so far.  So New York definitely covers, and forget the over hitting here.  Packers struggled at home against the all but winless Patriots.  It's a tough spot to shine for anyone, so this could be low-scoring