Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Good win for the Padres, but I was too distracted by Darvish to watch much of anything else. I am hoping the Dodgers win the next ones though- what a waste of a 111 win season if they don’t go to the WS. At least the Padres are putting up more of a fight than they did in the regular season. The Dodgers leaving so many base runners was unlike them, so maybe their bats will wake up the next few games.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

The Padres have played better on the road than at home this season, but Petco will be absolutely rocking on Friday. Snell and Musgrove just need to be in good form, and it's anyone's game. I'm bored with the Dodgers and rooting still for the underdogs to shake things up. Go Padres and Mariners.

Hopefully the good luck Goose was OK after being taken off the field.

• Love 5

As mentioned earlier, they'll be back onto their normal schedule next year.  Though if they settle with a day off before the wild card series and a day off after the wild card series, this might repeat itself.

What was so stupid was playing one game, and then a day off despite playing the same stadium.

If they'd just play on Wednesday like normal human being, then tomorrow would be Game 3 in Cleveland with no time off and no routine changes.  Who cares about back-to-back quad headers

Edited by Carey
  • Applause 1

Are there any female umpires in MLB? One would think that a league with Angel Hernandez and allowed an eighty year old Joe West to retire on his own terms, they could cast a wider, more diverse net for talent.

• Love 4

100 percent xaxat.  Now, if there aren't, and the reason is they may be moving to auto stuff, then that I could see.  However, it's 2022, and there are still human dude umps.  So why not?  BTW, you'd think Major League Baseball would be the first to be more diverse

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/09/02/female-umpire-minor-league-baseball/

Am article about current MiLB umpire Jen Pawol. She is one or two female umpires in the minors. One of only a handful in the history . Since in seems spaces in the majors only become available when someone retires the chances of anyone moving up are limited. Because guys like Angel Hernandez and Scott Barry are still in the minors you can't lose your job even when you suck at it. There's no real reason a woman couldn't or shouldn't be able to umpire in the majors.

In sad news Phillies prospect Corey Phelan lost his battle with cancer. He was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma in April. He was just 20 years old

Edited by shoregirl
  • Sad 14

Tough news there, Shoregirl.  Very sad.

Well, one ALDS ends the way the other one sorta ended.  Cleveland with a very fast start without scoring, but the lack of abundant scoring continued.

• Love 1

Cleveland tied the series by doing the things they do best:  running the bases, singles turned into triples, playing small ball.

Judge’s playoff hitting woes against the Guardians/Indians continue (and may they keep on going forward).

Because of the rain out, they played this afternoon, since there will be no travel day and tomorrow’s game is in the evening.  THat gives both teams time to shower, hop a short plane ride to Cleveland, and be ready to practice tomorrow morning.

• Love 4

So I know it's too early to say but it'll be interesting if a couple of the division winners get knocked out.

I HATE this bye thing. I guess we're stuck with that until the new CBA? Like I wouldn't want my team to win the division bc of it.

Not that the Jays would anyway, but it feels weird to be rooting to come in second in the division during regular season.

And to jump to Phillies....I realllllllly want Atlanta to lose. It's totally petty but I guess bc Anthopolous was in Toronto all I hear all year long is how amazing Atlanta is and how Anthopolous is the best evah and maybe that is all true but I don't need to hear about it endlessly. 

Edited by cleo
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, cleo said:

So I know it's too early to say but it'll be interesting if a couple of the division winners get knocked out.

I HATE this bye thing. I guess we're stuck with that until the new CBA? Like I wouldn't want my team to win the division bc of it.

Not that the Jays would anyway, but it feels weird to be rooting to come in second in the division during regular season.

And to jump to Phillies....I realllllllly want Atlanta to lose. It's totally petty but I guess bc Anthopolous was in Toronto all I hear all year long is how amazing Atlanta is and how Anthopolous is the best evah and maybe that is all true but I don't need to hear about it endlessly. 

Well filthydelphia certainly thumped Atlanta today! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Dodgers look awful with runners in scoring position. That is definitely going to be the end of their season if they continue this up the next two games. 

This series has turned out much more competitive than I had originally feared. The Dodgers look like a team that had a week off. Their bats are rusty; normally reliable hitters like Trea Turner are getting fooled.

eta Then Turner got a hit and got hurt. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 1

Blake Snell was pretty dialed in tonight. The offense on both sides with RISP was clunky and not particular pretty to watch. But I continue to be impressed with the Padres bullpen. Suarez, Martinez, Garcia and Hader.

With momentum, insane energy at Petco, and a fired up SD native Musgrove on the mound tomorrow, I'm hopeful the Padres can upset and clinch at home.

The odds say the Mariners are likely out tomorrow but I'll be rooting for them to hang on.

I live in the PNW and unfortunately for the fans and games here, the smoke from wildfires is really bad and might be worse over the weekend. It's sad to see how bad it's getting and so late in the year.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Sad 1
51 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Philly is doing what the Yankees couldn’t yesterday.  It makes me sad. (For New York.  Happy for the Phillies)

“Huh. What did Mojo mean by that? I’ll hit ESPN and-

“Oh. Oh, wow.”

#MiseryEnjoysCompany

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 2

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I've loved the Phillies my whole life (literally my dad said I watched the 80 team win in a swing as a infant) I'm so happy . I'm happy for guys like Nola ,Eflin, Hoskins and Dominguz who have been here the longest. 

I happy for Rob Thompson who took this team and put them here after Girardi got fired.

Baseball Celebrate GIF by MLB

• Like 1
  • Love 9

Any Mariner fans here? Can someone explain why people have shoes on their heads? Announcers said rally shoe.. is that a thing...why? Is it a spare shoe or are you putting the shoe that you wore and walked around the stadium in on your head?

I mean I still am rooting for you but that is weird.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, shoregirl said:

Any Mariner fans here? Can someone explain why people have shoes on their heads? Announcers said rally shoe.. is that a thing...why? Is it a spare shoe or are you putting the shoe that you wore and walked around the stadium in on your head?

I mean I still am rooting for you but that is weird.

Not a Mariners fan, but here's a story on the origin of the Rally Shoe.  It seems some dude put his Birkenstock on his head in hopes of spurring the Mariners, he showed up on the scoreboard and a weird custom was born.  It does appear that people are actually removing their shoes from their feet to do this.  OK, then.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/mariners-rally-shoes-heads-why-mlb-playoffs

Edited by Notabug
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2
7 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Not a Mariners fan, but here's a story on the origin of the Rally Shoe.  It seems some dude put his Birkenstock on his head in hopes of spurring the Mariners, he showed up on the scoreboard and a weird custom was born.  It does appear that people are actually removing their shoes from their feet to do this.  OK, then.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/mariners-rally-shoes-heads-why-mlb-playoffs

Mariner fans do your thing but putting a shoe that's been walking around your stadium and probably dirty bathrooms on your head is 🤢

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Could someone kindly tell Bob Costas to shut up?

I know!  What the hell happened to him?  He used to be good at his job.  I haven't heard him do games in years, and when I tuned in the other night, I was...unpleasantly surprised.  He's really stiff.  And uninteresting.  This makes me sad. 

• Love 4

1.  Wondering if the TBS guy who so definitively said yesterday that the Yankees deserved to win and Cleveland was just lucky still thinks that.

2.  Not shocked that Bob immediately starting discussing the Yankees’ injuries.

3.  Sports Center yesterday called Oscar Gonzalez Omar.  My family has decided that’s now his nickname.  Feel free to join us.  Omar is awesome!

Way to go, Guardians!

• Love 5

It doesn’t surprise me that the Skankees BP lost the game.

They’re worn out, have losses due to injury.  If the Guards don’t win 2morrow, then I could see them taking Game 5, due to attrition.

Good Luck Guardians!  We love you, no matter the name.  But we hate those red uniforms.

• Love 2

Roberts is another shitty manager making boneheaded decisions. Why in the world are you still playing Chris Taylor when he keeps striking out? Bellinger can’t do any worse than that. Unreal. 

• Love 1