Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Despite what I said, I did not lose sleep over McGwire, Bonds, and Sosa's snub from Cooperstown.  Barry really isn't that great of a person.  Mark is okay, though not a saint, and Sammy being boring makes for a decent bet.

For what it's worth & in my humble opinion, Bud Selig and Roger Clements (and those pitchers) are/were worse

• Love 1
On 9/26/2022 at 6:38 PM, cleo said:

So here is my prediction: 61 tomorrow with Berrios and 62-65 the next game which is the Jays bullpen game.

Tomorrow lines up bc apparently one of the Maple Leafs is throwing first pitch so I'm sure that 'winning' culture will rub right off and the Jays will lose the series post haste. 

LOL.... reading in haste, I thought you posted that the Maple Leafs were playing baseball.  I immediately thought "well, maybe they can win at THAT." 

Note to self: slow the fark down. 

• LOL 5

@Colleenna  maybe the Leafs should try baseball lol. 

I'm from Toronto but I don't like hockey and I think the Leafs are a disgrace, and my joke/not really joke is I don't want them hanging around the Jays bc they're bad luck.

Case in point I was right about the Jays immediately losing the series after the Leafs showed up lol.

I like to think the Jays are better than the Leafs but this year has me thinking maybe not.

The Raptors are the best franchise here imo and if only Masai Ujiri could run the Jays. Although I don't actually mind Shapiro the president but I have zero respect for the GM.

Edited by cleo

I love how thinkpieces are like “if Judge hits 62, should that be the real record?”

Well if no one has officially considered 61 the real record for 15 years, why would that change for 62?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

I have to leave shortly for my three year old great-niece’s birthday party and that side of my family isn’t baseball fans -weird, right?!? - and also, even at 48 years old I can still get scathing looks from my mother if I try to surreptitiously watch the game on my phone, so bet that Aaron is going to hit 62 today.  And probably 63, 64, and 65, with the way my luck holds.

52 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I have to leave shortly for my three year old great-niece’s birthday party and that side of my family isn’t baseball fans -weird, right?!? - and also, even at 48 years old I can still get scathing looks from my mother if I try to surreptitiously watch the game on my phone, so bet that Aaron is going to hit 62 today.  And probably 63, 64, and 65, with the way my luck holds.

They can't even throw a strike to the guy.  Well they did throw ONE.  Still the Yankees fans in attendance are livid, but IMO, not as pissed off as college football fans whose game gets broken into for a walk fest.  The longer Aaron can't hit it, the longer this nonsense continues.

New York is making them pay though; to bad they didn't do so to Baltimore yesterday!

• Love 2

At least that last at bat they let him earn it, and then Judge struck out.

The Orioles are petty in general, so it's not surprising.  It is a division team, but I don't know what they're gaining from being afraid of the guy.  If they were in a post-season race, then that's fine.  But they're sorta rivals.  Had Aaron not had a slump, he might've been there by now since an intentional walk from a contender could cost said contender

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

Hope you enjoyed the party because the game sucked.  😉

• Wink 1
16 minutes ago, ebk57 said:
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

Hope you enjoyed the party because the game sucked.  😉

I can't speak for America, but I think we might have been better off if ESPN and company broke into College Football to show 60 seconds of your party once every 25-45 minutes (if they had to break into meaningful games)

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, Carey said:

I can't speak for America, but I think we might have been better off if ESPN and company broke into College Football to show 60 seconds of your party once every 25-45 minutes (if they had to break into meaningful games)

It was a real barnburner!  The four year old wanted to play with the three year old’s new doll and didn’t understand why she couldn’t AND THEN the four year old’s mother said she couldn’t have a Kit Kat so it was just chaos.  Also my sister hit my niece in the head with a plastic football.  Fun times all around.

Regarding baseball - regardless of the Yanks playing the O’s this weekend, I was really hoping Baltimore was going to get that third wild card slot.  Boo Seattle!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Of course the Mets' two best pitchers couldn't get a win. And, of course, tomorrow night's game is on prime time. It's not "winner take all," but it is "winner gets huge advantage heading into final three games."

I'm not being too big a hater on those fans, right?

• Love 1

I am SO over the hunt for #62.

I'm content with Judge and Maris being co-holders of the AL record. What had me excited was that at the end of this amazing offensive season Judge has had, it seemed as if a Triple Crown might be within reach to put a cherry on top of it. The pressure to hit #62 has caused too many strikeouts during this series against the Orioles and his average is slipping. He's 3 points behind Arraez now. 😥

Today's weather at Yankee Stadium is not conducive to hitting home runs. If #62 is going to happen, it'll be much more likely in Texas. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It would be a shame if people that tuned into to see it ended up missing it.  When 61 happened, it was during a period where there was a ton happening.  Since it may not happen at home (today's the last day), it might not be worth it to see it

On 9/30/2022 at 5:21 AM, mojoween said:

I love how thinkpieces are like “if Judge hits 62, should that be the real record?”

Well if no one has officially considered 61 the real record for 15 years, why would that change for 62?

Let's see if we can complicate this just a bit...recall that Roger Maris hit 61 in the American League expansion year of 1961. Prior to 1961 teams played only 154 games. So, does that argue for a bunch of home run records?

Barry Bonds, 73 home runs, 2001

Mark McGwire, 70 home runs, 1998

Sammy Sosa, 64 home runs, 2001

Sammy Sosa, 63 home runs, 1999

Aaron Judge, 61 home runs, 2022 tied  Roger Maris, 61 home runs, 1961

Babe Ruth, 60 home runs, 1927

Of course, there is an argument for a "clean" season vs a steroid season.

But, of course, baseball is replete with stats.  Lots and lots of stats!

9 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Os will be over .500 this season - yay!  So much different than I thought this year would be. 

I’m not mad at it!  Even if the starting pitcher today was a bit high-strung.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

Os will be over .500 this season - yay!  So much different than I thought this year would be. 

Hope is a good thing. Is anyone there in their contract year? Could management keep the core intact, and maybe entice a few heavy hitters to Baltimore?

What I know . . .  someone at Deadspin will write an article tomorrow about "this is what the Mets are, this is what they'll always be." All they had to really do was win one game in Cobb County. They're going to be swept, some asshole named "Dansby" played a huge part, and they'll have to waste deGrom and Scherzer in the Wild Card series.  Meanwhile, the home crowd does their tired-ass chant, with the team obliging them by dimming the lights. Their Twitter tag is "#ForTheA." Well . . . fuck the A.

Sorry . . . I keep saying that I'm detached, but this shit bothers me more than it should.

ETA: One of the Cobb County player's walk-up music is Edwin Diaz's song. I saw one asshole fan do the trumpet motions.

Seriously, why am I mad? This shouldn't bother me.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4

YES, Braves sweep the Mets! Braves need to just win 1 to get the division! Let’s fucking go Braves, let’s win back to back World Series!! Since the Marlins suck, the Braves are definitely my favorite team in the playoff race!! FUCK THE METS!!

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

YES, Braves sweep the Mets! Braves need to just win 1 to get the division! Let’s fucking go Braves, let’s win back to back World Series!! Since the Marlins suck, the Braves are definitely my favorite team in the playoff race!! FUCK THE METS!!

Extremely unlikely.  There hasn't been a back-to-back  WS winner since 2000 (or maybe 2001) and the last time it was done by a NL team was the 76 "Big Red Machine." That being said,  it would be nice. Might make some people shut their pie holes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Hope is a good thing. Is anyone there in their contract year? Could management keep the core intact, and maybe entice a few heavy hitters to Baltimore?

The Orioles are hoping to entice quality free agent pitchers to sign with them. It was one reason they expanded left field. 

14 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Extremely unlikely.  There hasn't been a back-to-back  WS winner since 2000 (or maybe 2001) and the last time it was done by a NL team was the 76 "Big Red Machine." That being said,  it would be nice. Might make some people shut their pie holes.

Yeah it’s been since the Yankees 3-peat in 1998,1999 and 2000 since we’ve had a back to back World Series winner, although the Giants won 3 in 5 years. But it would be awesome if the Braves won it again!!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, grommit2 said:

Let's see if we can complicate this just a bit...recall that Roger Maris hit 61 in the American League expansion year of 1961. Prior to 1961 teams played only 154 games. So, does that argue for a bunch of home run records?

Plus Maris hit his 61st homer in game 163, just to add more to the discussion about the "true" record.

11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

What I know . . .  someone at Deadspin will write an article tomorrow about "this is what the Mets are, this is what they'll always be."

Boom.

I like "White Flight County" because it is accurate AF. 

• Love 2

Is anyone going to a playoff game? Or is it too early to ask that. I'm considering it even though I probably shouldn't lol.

But then it's like which game. Cause I probably should only go to one.

So like I start out just 'curious' about prices and seat availability and then....Raps championship series game 5 I was just enjoying my morning coffee and looking at stub hub just out of innocent curiosity and before you know it the checkout button was pressed lol.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, cleo said:

Is anyone going to a playoff game? Or is it too early to ask that. I'm considering it even though I probably shouldn't lol.

So like I start out just 'curious' about prices and seat availability and then....Raps championship series game 5 I was just enjoying my morning coffee and looking at stub hub just out of innocent curiosity and before you know it the checkout button was pressed lol.

Yup.  I share Guardians' season tickets with 4 others and I got the tickets for Friday's game.  Cannot wait, nothing better than playoff baseball in Cleveland!  

We have only divvied up the first 5 potential games amongst the 5 of us.  If they get further than that, we'll have another lottery for picks.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Yup.  I share Guardians' season tickets with 4 others and I got the tickets for Friday's game.  Cannot wait, nothing better than playoff baseball in Cleveland!  

Even though the Guardians haven’t won a World Series since 1948?

”Hey, we got the best four pitchers in the Ameri- . . . aaaaaaaaand we got swept by the Giants. Luckily, the only guy that anyone will remember is Vic Wertz. Why couldn’t ballpark dimensions be smaller?”

”A season that’s only 144 games long? Sound awe- . . . aaaaaaaaaaand the Braves get their only title, sandwiched between unsuccessful appearances. I guess all those participation trophies needed company.”

”The Marlins? THE MARLINS?!? Well, I’m sure they’ll keep the core of their team intact. Surely, the owner has enough money to field a competitive team!”

”We’re gonna break the bad luck! Wait, no, the Cubs get their bigger monkey off their back, AND they come from behind on OUR turf.”

ETA. I was just trying to feel the agony (for lack of a better word) of Guardians fans. Also, at least you guys junked the racist stuff.

Edited by Lantern7
4 hours ago, cleo said:

For me, it will forever be too early to ask.  Unless it's in another sport

6 hours ago, cleo said:

I'd be going ... if I had one to go to.

Go!  Always go when you have the chance because you never know when you'll have the chance again.  Someone gave me that sage advice way back in the early aughts, so I went to watch the Terps in the Orange Bowl.  We got blown out, but we had a great time...and we haven't been back to a major bowl game since.  So I'm really glad I went.  Just go!!!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Even though the Guardians haven’t won a World Series since 1948?

Yes, although it would be even better if we won the Series just once before I die.  You've got to remember that I am a native Clevelander and none of our teams have won the whole enchilada very often in my lifetime.  The Cavs took it in 2016; but the franchise has only been around since 1970.  The Browns won a championship in 1964 but I was a little kid and don't remember it.

I was sitting in Cleveland Municipal Stadium and witnessed The Drive that made Elway famous in person.  I hate John Elway, but I am so glad I was there.

I attended multiple games in all the World Series we've played including Game 1 of the '95 Series in Atlanta.  I bought tickets from a scalper for Game 6 of the '16 Series because I was just so sure we were going to beat the Cubs.

People who root for the Yankees and the like have no idea what it is to really love a team and wait year after year....

19 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I'd be going ... if I had one to go to.

Go!  Always go when you have the chance because you never know when you'll have the chance again.  Someone gave me that sage advice way back in the early aughts, so I went to watch the Terps in the Orange Bowl.  We got blown out, but we had a great time...and we haven't been back to a major bowl game since.  So I'm really glad I went.  Just go!!!

You are so right!  My dad's uncle was a coach on the Indians teams in '48 and '54 and so he got to attend all of the home games in the World Series including the loss to Boston in '54.  When the Indians finally made it back in '95, I thought I didn't care if they won or not, it was enough just to see a World Series in Cleveland.  Then, they lost the first 2 games.  I was talking to my father about it and how I thought they were going to lose and I really wanted them to win.  He said not to worry, they'd make it back again.  I pointed out he probably thought that as he left the '54 Series, too.  Well, yeah, he had; he never would've thought it would be 41 years until the next chance.

I also highly recommend big time college bowl games.  I've been to a bunch to root for my alma mater, THE Ohio State University, and, even the ones we lost were amazing.  And being there when, for the first time in your life, one of your teams actually wins a championship after you've waited  more than 40 years for it is just indescribable.

Actually, everyone should get to experience game day at a big time football school, there is nothing like it.  The excitement is palpable.

Edited by Notabug
  • Love 5
38 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Yes, although it would be even better if we won the Series just once before I die.  You've got to remember that I am a native Clevelander and none of our teams have won the whole enchilada very often in my lifetime.  The Cavs took it in 2016; but the franchise has only been around since 1970.  The Browns won a championship in 1964 but I was a little kid and don't remember it.

I was sitting in Cleveland Municipal Stadium and witnessed The Drive that made Elway famous in person.  I hate John Elway, but I am so glad I was there.

I attended multiple games in all the World Series we've played including Game 1 of the '95 Series in Atlanta.  I bought tickets from a scalper for Game 6 of the '16 Series because I was just so sure we were going to beat the Cubs.

People who root for the Yankees and the like have no idea what it is to really love a team and wait year after year....

You are so right!  My dad's uncle was a coach on the Indians teams in '48 and '54 and so he got to attend all of the home games in the World Series including the loss to Boston in '54.  When the Indians finally made it back in '95, I thought I didn't care if they won or not, it was enough just to see a World Series in Cleveland.  Then, they lost the first 2 games.  I was talking to my father about it and how I thought they were going to lose and I really wanted them to win.  He said not to worry, they'd make it back again.  I pointed out he probably thought that as he left the '54 Series, too.  Well, yeah, he had; he never would've thought it would be 41 years until the next chance.

I also highly recommend big time college bowl games.  I've been to a bunch to root for my alma mater, THE Ohio State University, and, even the ones we lost were amazing.  And being there when, for the first time in your life, one of your teams actually wins a championship after you've waited  more than 40 years for it is just indescribable.

Actually, everyone should get to experience game day at a big time football school, there is nothing like it.  The excitement is palpable.

College football really isn't my scene but I do love the city of Cleveland.  World class art museum, rock and roll hall of fame and science center by Lake Erie, natural history museum, West side market, etc....  Friendly people as well.

Their music still get played at games?

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, cleo said:

Uhhh, Pirates fan here. Only way I'll be going to a playoff game is if every other team in the NL gets vaporized by a nuke. 

But if you want to, hold that thought until hockey playoffs start next spring and ask again in the NHL thread.😉

• Love 1

@ebk57 I love an enabler. Actually the only reason Im holding off is I haven't got the final bill for the reno.....playoff tix won't push it over the line but I feel like I should be responsible in light of that.....maybe by round 2 though, if there is one for the Jays.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

College football really isn't my scene but I do love the city of Cleveland.  World class art museum, rock and roll hall of fame and science center by Lake Erie, natural history museum, West side market, etc....  Friendly people as well.

Their music still get played at games?

Michael Stanley lives on!  They usually play Drew Carey's version of Cleveland Rocks when the Guardians win.  We get My Town more sporadically.

BTW, Cleveland is also famous for the ever faithful John Adams, a guy who sat in the bleachers since he was a teen beating a drum supporting his team.  Unfortunately, John, now 70, has had some major cardiac problems the last year or two and hasn't been out to a game.  Amazing sports fan and an all around wonderful guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Adams_(drummer)

Cleveland has a lot going for it.  Aside from the things you've mentioned, we've got the second largest theater district in the US where you can see live performances year 'round, an excellent metropolitan park system including some beautiful parks up on the lake, a National Park in the Cuyahoga Valley and the Cleveland Orchestra is one of the very best in the world.  People can laugh at us all they want, we have the last laugh.

• Love 4

If Judge doesn’t get that next home run, if a reporter does a story that it’s a disappointment I am going to drive to their house and pull a little thread in the tips of all of their socks, so when they put them on it catches on their toes.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3