Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Sandy Alcantara with yet another fantastic outing, a complete game win against the Dodgers, allowing only 1 run. This guy is the best pitcher in MLB, he’s the one bright spot for Marlins fans like myself, and he should be a lock for the Cy Young.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

That's "Centerfold"

(And sorry if I stepped on a joke.  Sometimes I'm kinda dense)

Yes it was a joke. And no hard feelings. This was less "Rob Manfred" dense and more "Aaron Boone filling out a lineup card" dense!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

So do the people in Oakland not care if the team leaves or not?  Because these three-quarters empty stadiums sure aren’t making the case for keeping a team there.

To be fair the rest of the stadium IS full. Of sewage.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, mojoween said:

So do the people in Oakland not care if the team leaves or not?  Because these three-quarters empty stadiums sure aren’t making the case for keeping a team there.

Honestly, the only good thing about that stadium is the beer selection.  And let's face it, the team sucks.  At least when the Os suck (most of the time-I know they're going to try to get more money from me next year), the stadium is a pleasant place to spend some time.  So we have that going for us. 

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure Baltimore is going to end up knocking Toronto out of the playoffs. I've thought that for  the last month.

Jays were hanging out with some Leafs players a couple months ago, so I knew it was all over.

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 1
41 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Honestly, the only good thing about that stadium is the beer selection.  And let's face it, the team sucks.  At least when the Os suck (most of the time-I know they're going to try to get more money from me next year), the stadium is a pleasant place to spend some time.  So we have that going for us. 

I made the same observation about Pittsburgh. 

Being an A's fan is no picnic. And we're fucking sick and tired of being jacked around every damn season. This year's fire sale being a lowlight in their tenure.

• Love 4

The hubby is binging “Lucifer” in the living room and just poked his head in the bedroom because he heard “no no no no no you motherfuckers” and couldn’t imagine what had happened.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 2

I read "Oakland A's," this is where my mind goes. I guess that's what drove the Expos out of Montreal . . .the smell of booty coming from the cheaper seats.

On 8/27/2022 at 8:33 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Sandy Alcantara with yet another fantastic outing, a complete game win against the Dodgers, allowing only 1 run. This guy is the best pitcher in MLB, he’s the one bright spot for Marlins fans like myself, and he should be a lock for the Cy Young.

He's gonna make a big-market team so happy one day.

ETA for @mojoween: One hit? Eleven innings, and the Yankees only got one hit?!? Man, maybe the sink ship is sinking. That might explain why Joe Torre was at the Mets’ Old Timers’ Day . . . he wants on that bandwagon. The only things I know about Joe being with the Mets are that he was the only player/manager in club history, and he once hit into four double plays in one game. I’ll have to check that one, but I’m pretty sure that was him.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Sad 1
On 8/26/2022 at 2:48 PM, cleo said:

@Ms Blue Jay I think he's blocked half of Toronto by now. He's very good at creating a persona and marketing it but under the surface is a different story imo.

Unexpectedly stopping him on the street is pretty much the most under the surface conditions I can think of, but ok, agree to disagree!  

Yeah that's not really what I meant. You were complimenting him I gather. He's fine with that. You know why he blocked me? I said, and I quote:

"He's a great pitcher but not right for Toronto right now."

Not exactly a brutal insult. He literally sits around looking for people to block on twitter for the tiniest slights-  his blocking is legendary.

He's all rah rah team HDMH but every once in a while something nasty surfaces where he let's it slip that rah rah stuff is all BS and really it's all about Stroman. He markets himself as this positive team guy, and over time it's obvious it's bullshit.

I mean yeah he is a good pitcher and showman but he's as fake as they come with a huge streak of self centred-ness.

Would take a genuine person like Espinal over him any day. 

Anyway yeah agree to disagree lol. I do hope you enjoy the game, I won't be watching lol.

Edited by cleo
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

A serenade for Edwin Diaz. 

Okay - I don't know who Timmy Trumpet is (really??) and I've never paid attention to Diaz's walkout song (if I've ever actually watched a Mets game this year), but I do understand how fabulous this is and I almost wish I was there!  Almost...

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, cleo said:

It's cool and I like the song, but I just keep thinking what a drag it would be if the dude blew a save after all that. You would have to be super confident I imagine.

"The 2022 New York Mets: Hope Is A Good Thing"

• Love 5
On 8/31/2022 at 10:02 PM, mojoween said:

To be fair, I only know about this because they talked about it on The Dan LeBatard show.  Otherwise it would have completely escaped my notice. I mean, it’s no Sandman, that’s for sure.

It’s not “Enter Sandman” or “Hell’s Bells” (saw Trevor Hoffman walk out to that in 2000, and it was an experience), but it’s fun. Diaz has finally started to fulfill his promise, and the Mets will not stop selling toy trumpets in the near future.

I kinda wish I had the ability to make videos. I’d get Timmy Trumpet coming up . . . only instead of his part in “Narcos,” he’d play the tune that the Green Ranger played on his blade. And then the Dragonzord would emerge and destroy everything.

Judge hits dinger number 53 today, he has a real chance at getting to 62 and in my book, that would give him the record. Will be interesting to watch. On another note, he’s basically carrying the Yankees, they haven’t been playing very well as a whole.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Mets lost two in a row, and their lead is down to one game.

Panic time?

Not yet.  

I say they took their foot off the petal a little after an impressive series with LA.

If they have a poor week ahead then yeah I'd say worry would set in 

57 minutes ago, xaxat said:

The Mets' next series is against my Pirates. They'll get back on track.

They've been rained out today. And anything bad that can happen still could happen. Vogelbach could have his legs broken because he left Pittsburgh owing a lot of money.

Looking online . . . Pittsburgh's comic con is in December. To be honest, cons were the main reason for me to take long trips, and I can't imagine going there beyond seeing PNC Park.

ETA for @xaxat . . . I hope I didn't hit a sore spot. I'm the same about Cincinnati . . . I've seen fun stuff from their zoo and I'd like to see Fiona and Fritz up close, but I'd have to do research in order to get another reason to go there.

Edited by Lantern7

The ballpark in Pittsburgh is worth the trip - go see a game, any game!  And Pittsburgh is fun!!

Cincinnati, OTOH...  the stadium is fine, but I'm not sure why Cincinnati exists.  (Nothing personal to anyone from Cincinnati).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Cincinnati, OTOH...  the stadium is fine, but I'm not sure why Cincinnati exists.  (Nothing personal to anyone from Cincinnati).

With all do respect I usually find people that make comments like that about places are more interested in night life.

Plenty to do in Cinci imo:  Art museum, National Sign museum, Rhinegeist brewery, Cincinnati museum center, Zoo and botanical gardens, National Underground Railroad Freedom Center among other attractions 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, ebk57 said:

The ballpark in Pittsburgh is worth the trip - go see a game, any game!  And Pittsburgh is fun!!

The Pirates ballpark is my personal favorite MLB stadium that I’ve been to. I’ve been to about half of the ballparks, and Pittsburgh is the nicest and most beautiful IMO.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

With all do respect I usually find people that make comments like that about places are more interested in night life.

Plenty to do in Cinci imo:  Art museum, National Sign museum, Rhinegeist brewery, Cincinnati museum center, Zoo and botanical gardens, National Underground Railroad Freedom Center among other attractions 

I hate night life.  I didn't dislike Cincinnati, I just didn't find anything compelling there, tourist-wise or food-wise.  I wouldn't object to ever visiting again, and maybe checking out the Underground Railroad Freedom Center (which I either didn't realize was there, or it wasn't open when we were there), but I wouldn't make a point of going back.  We travel to visit ballparks (been to all of them that were open when we started, and just need to go back to 4 cities for new ones), and we saw both Cincinnati stadiums, so not sure it will be a future destination.  

I'm truly sorry if I offended you (and anyone else).  Like I said, I don't dislike the city.

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I hate night life.  I didn't dislike Cincinnati, I just didn't find anything compelling there, tourist-wise or food-wise.  I wouldn't object to ever visiting again, and maybe checking out the Underground Railroad Freedom Center (which I either didn't realize was there, or it wasn't open when we were there), but I wouldn't make a point of going back.  We travel to visit ballparks (been to all of them that were open when we started, and just need to go back to 4 cities for new ones), and we saw both Cincinnati stadiums, so not sure it will be a future destination.  

I'm truly sorry if I offended you (and anyone else).  Like I said, I don't dislike the city.

It's all good 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Braves and Mets are now tied for the lead in the NL East! Let’s go Bravos!!!!

Mets won the first game of their doubleheader this afternoon, so they are back in first. Oh, and the Braves suck. 😉

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Mets won the first game of their doubleheader this afternoon, so they are back in first. Oh, and the Braves suck. 😉

Minimum, their management sucks. You can't get to where they play by mass transit. I know I keep abusing the concept, but they may as well wear "Cobb County" on their jerseys.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4

Sigh new rules being approved today. I was really trying to keep an open mind but it's tough.

The pitch clock- so the clock stops if a pitcher 'disengages' like for one of his two pick off attempts? Then can start again, then stop again. And they're expecting umps to keep track of this? The guys that can barely manage the strike zone? Ok. Can't wait for the first fight and ejections over this. 

What if a pitcher asks for a new ball? Another disengagement clock stop/start? 

I can't imagine this in the playoffs. 

-the bigger bases surprised me. I kind of get it from an injury perspective but 15 to 18" seems huge. 

The other thing I keep thinking is they keep saying how great all this worked out in the minors. Some of it they only tested in low As. But whatever level- it's just not the same. There's a big difference bw Triple A and a playoff game. 

I wonder if they ever assess how much time is spent in games arguing over rules, calls, and replays. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Does anyone know what's holding up the robo-strike zone? That's the one rule change that I think most fans are for. And almost every broadcast has an unofficial version of it already.

I thought that the players' union has consistently kept voting against it.

https://www.sporttechie.com/mlb-players-rebuff-robo-umps-for-2023-season-but-are-willing-to-accept-pitch-clock-and-shift-ban

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1

There is also still technology issues with the automatic strike zone bc as the rules stand now the strike zone varies based on pitcher size. So the strike zone for Aaron Judge is different than for Alejandro Kirk.

So the technology can only recognize one zone. So how should it be programmed?

I'd be in for a robot commissioner though. U less Manfred already is.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I hate banning the shift and I am 100% pro-robo-umps but the players feel the opposite clearly, SIGH, it SUCKS

I find that the shift makes the game so much more interesting and creative.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 9/9/2022 at 4:01 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I hate banning the shift and I am 100% pro-robo-umps but the players feel the opposite clearly, SIGH, it SUCKS

I find that the shift makes the game so much more interesting and creative.

I'm not a shift fan at all.  To me it's just an over analytic tool used in the game.

That being said I'm against banning it.  The players/hitters should then have to adapt if they don't like it.  There's plenty me and most other people don't like about or jobs or are forced to change our ways but deal. 

• Love 1