Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Dang. Well, time to choke in Houston again! When it comes to a New York team whuppin’ on the Astros, the ‘86 Mets stand alone.

The Ians are out, and they take another potential World Series choke with them. Do the Padres or Phillies have a chance in the World Series?

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, morriss said:

Other than Steven Kwan, the Guardians looked disinterested in playing today. I watched a ton of their games and today's effort was quite disappointing.🙁

They played poorly but the rain out helped the Yankees.  Plus there's a report the Guardians were spread all out due to their hotel being overbooked

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/10/18/terry-francona-addresses-guardians-hotel-issue-after-monday-rainout

• Love 3

Did anyone catch Bob Costas’s blunder yesterday?

”The Yankees haven’t been to the World Series since 2009, and haven’t won since Joe Torre’s three-peat.”

Me:  WTaF?

commercial break

Costas:  “Before my phone blows up, I do know that the Yankees won the World Series in 2009.  I was there.”

🤦🏼‍♀️

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Costas will be at the desk in Atlanta for the ALCS. Hopefully Grandy, Rollins and Pedro can rein him in. 🤞

Brian Anderson, Jeff Francoeur and Ron Darling will be in the booth calling the games. Should be much better.

Also, here's a nice graphic to keep track of the days and times for the ALCS:20221019_002853.thumb.jpg.99b1ff6cda3f58a1eb37d6ed9831ee0d.jpg

3 hours ago, smittykins said:

”The Yankees haven’t been to the World Series since 2009, and haven’t won since Joe Torre’s three-peat.”

commercial break

Costas:  “Before my phone blows up, I do know that the Yankees won the World Series in 2009.  I was there.”

🤦🏼‍♀️

Honestly not really, I was trying to ignore him😅

that is weird though he’d say that, it was painfully obvious through the series the Yankees are his team 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, smittykins said:

commercial break

Similar to BlueSkies, I sorta tuned out Costas, but really just before his blunder.  I did hear the "Yankees haven’t been to the World Series since 2009" before tuning him out.  I did hear Bob say, “Before my phone blows up, I do know that the Yankees won the World Series in 2009.  I was there.”

Yeah, that's odd.  What's more odd is that I thought that he said that there hasn't been a repeat champion between the 3-peat Torre Yankees, in between the 2 statements that I heard.

Meh, it's been a rather dull, and cold week

2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I'm rooting for a meteor strike...

If it didn't happen during the 1986 World Series, when if there were a God it would have, then it will never happen.

Anyway...

I've found the Cashman version of the Yankees so frustrating to watch that I barely pay attention to them the last decade. It's certainly possible that they could get past the Astros, but it'll be entirely because Judge/Stanton or some other random guy hits like 10 home runs in the series while the entire rest of the lineup pops up or strikes out over and over again.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3
29 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I've found the Cashman version of the Yankees so frustrating to watch that I barely pay attention to them the last decade. 

EXACTLY.  That’s why when they’re going poorly they’re so INCREDIBLY depressing to watch.  There’s just nothing there (aside from Judge, this year, of course).  There’s no life, no fun.  It’s not just that they’re losing when they’re going badly, but they’re losing in such a glum way.  

Cashman doesn’t seem to pick those bright eyed, high energy always-ready-to-go-and-do-their-best kind of players that are fun to watch even when they’re in a slump, the kind of players Cleveland and Tampa Bay specialize in.  Those players have spirit.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:
23 minutes ago, attica said:

How the hell is Justin Verlander still in the game? Isn't he as old as Moses by now?

They said he wants to pitch until he's 45. 😱

Plus, he doesn't need the family of Leon Cadore to have a "hold my beer" moment.  Which still would happen after Verlander's series pitch count

I might have once thought Justin was 45, but I should've doubted it

Edited by Carey
  • Love 1
On 10/18/2022 at 8:32 PM, Jane Tuesday said:

Blech. The two AL teams I hate. Tough choice. 

Yeah, I normally root for the AL team in the WS, but not this year.

Besides, Phillies/Padres was so unexpected that you can’t help but root for the Cinderella team.

And thank you Guardians for an exciting end to the season. Aug-Oct were so much fun!

• Like 1

For, me, this year has me rooting for a team based on my picks.  For example, I'm totally okay with Philadelphia winning but rooting for San Diego because I picked the latter.  The Padres have a lot of former Buccos, and I tend to root for them since their former team tanks with the goal to "get paid" in favor of another team that needs key people in order to win the title.

Meanwhile, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Harper win since his original team tore it down, but not before winning it all, but...not before the former MVP bolted, and....not before they were unable to win one playoff series during his time there.

Outside of New York, I don't think many people are going to jumping for joy (save for rival stuff) over another Yankees title despite the fact that it's been over a decade.  I would love to see folks like Cole, Judge, Taillon, etc win.  More for the players, and less for management and ownership.

Which is the opposite case for Houston, but not really.  Despite managing a team or teams I rooted against, I wouldn't mind seeing Baker get his title in his current role.  If he does that would be great.  After that, then I don't see the need to root for the Astros going forward

• Love 1
On 10/19/2022 at 3:22 PM, Harry24 said:

EXACTLY.  That’s why when they’re going poorly they’re so INCREDIBLY depressing to watch.  There’s just nothing there (aside from Judge, this year, of course).  There’s no life, no fun.  It’s not just that they’re losing when they’re going badly, but they’re losing in such a glum way.  

Cashman doesn’t seem to pick those bright eyed, high energy always-ready-to-go-and-do-their-best kind of players that are fun to watch even when they’re in a slump, the kind of players Cleveland and Tampa Bay specialize in.  Those players have spirit.

Glad to see it is not just Clevelanders who enjoy watching the Guardians. They are just so darned entertaining.  Meanwhile, even though they beat us and I've never been a fan, the Yanks were joyless during the division series.  There is nothing entertaining about waiting around for Judd to come to bat and maybe hit a homer.  Or one of the others to hit a homer which seems to be their only offensive option these days.  They're just not entertaining to watch, IMO, and I watch baseball because I love it and it is the most entertaining game there is when it is played well with enthusiasm.

Edited by Notabug
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Glad to see it is not just Clevelanders who enjoy watching the Guardians. They are just so darned entertaining.  Meanwhile, even though they beat us and I've never been a Yankee fan. in the division series, the Yanks were joyless.  There is nothing entertaining about waiting around for Judd to come to bat and maybe hit a homer.  Or one of the others to hit a homer which seems to be their only offensive option these days.  They're just not entertaining to watch, IMO, and I watch baseball because I love it and it is the most entertaining game there is when it is played well with enthusiasm.

For this Red Sox fan I always root for Tito to get another championship.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Glad to see it is not just Clevelanders who enjoy watching the Guardians. They are just so darned entertaining.  Meanwhile, even though they beat us and I've never been a Yankee fan. in the division series, the Yanks were joyless.  There is nothing entertaining about waiting around for Judd to come to bat and maybe hit a homer.  Or one of the others to hit a homer which seems to be their only offensive option these days.  They're just not entertaining to watch, IMO, and I watch baseball because I love it and it is the most entertaining game there is when it is played well with enthusiasm.

I agree with that.  

But that's gotta be a little frustrating to see them just not be able to get over the top during the Francona era.  Kinda reminds me of the early 90s Cavs.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I agree with that.  

But that's gotta be a little frustrating to see them just not be able to get over the top during the Francona era.  Kinda reminds me of the early 90s Cavs.  

Aww, honey!  I'm from Cleveland, the Tito Francona era is just a tiny fraction of my sports misery.  I was an Indians season ticket holder in the 90's speaking of heartbreak.  I flew down to Atlanta for game 1 of the '95 series and bawled my eyes out during the national anthem because it was the first series they'd been in in my lifetime.  The fact is, the Guardians are the youngest team in the majors, there is so much potential and it was surprising they got as far as they did.  Now Tito says he's coming back, I can look to the future optimistically.

For that matter, I'm a Browns' fan, although currently on hiatus due to recent criminals acquired to play for the team.  I was THERE in the miserably awful Municipal Stadium for the Drive, I've still got my ticket stub. And i still hate John Elway.

So, when it comes to frustration and disappointment, the 2022 Guardians were actually a pleasant surprise, an unexpected revelation.

Edited by Notabug
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

Aww, honey!  I'm from Cleveland, the Tito Francona era is just a tiny fraction of my sports misery.  I was an Indians season ticket holder in the 90's speaking of heartbreak.  I flew down to Atlanta for game 1 of the '95 series and bawled my eyes out during the national anthem because it was the first series they'd been in in my lifetime.  The fact is, the Guardians are the youngest team in the majors, there is so much potential and it was surprising they got as far as they did.  Now Tito says he's coming back, I can look to the future optimistically.

For that matter, I'm a Browns' fan, although currently on hiatus due to recent criminals acquired to play for the team.  I was THERE in the miserably awful Municipal Stadium for the Drive, I've still got my ticket stub. 

So, when it comes to frustration and disappointment, the 2022 Guardians were actually a pleasant surprise, an unexpected revelation.

I've never used the hug emoji before, but this definitely called for it.

I assume that’s your dog in your picture.  He/she (they?) is INSANELY adorable.

Edited by Harry24
9 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

I've never used the hug emoji before, but this definitely called for it.

I assume that’s your dog in your picture.  He/she (they?) is INSANELY adorable.

Yes, that's my furry 3 year old son, Scout.  He's a Jack Russell mix and pretty cute, which has saved him more than once when he chewed up a shoe.

Don't feel sorry for me, rooting for Cleveland teams has taught me alot about patience and resilience and probably made me love baseball more than if I'd been rooting for a team that had a lot of success.  I remain certain that my day will come.  I may have to live forever, but the Guardians are going to reward me.

Also, I went to Ohio State and have been there in person to see the football Bucks win the national championship twice now, so I know what that's like and it makes me look forward to the day when the Guardians win the Series.

Edited by Notabug
  • Love 4
On 10/20/2022 at 9:26 AM, Carey said:

Outside of New York, I don't think many people are going to jumping for joy (save for rival stuff) over another Yankees title despite the fact that it's been over a decade.  I would love to see folks like Cole, Judge, Taillon, etc win.  More for the players, and less for management and ownership.

Which is the opposite case for Houston, but not really.  Despite managing a team or teams I rooted against, I wouldn't mind seeing Baker get his title in his current role.  If he does that would be great.  After that, then I don't see the need to root for the Astros going forward

I really like Dusty. I want him to get the ring as a manager.  For me it goes back to when he was in DC and was let go by the Nationals.  It made me hate the Nationals ownership. Dusty was so happy when he was hired in Houston, and I want his time there to have the best ending.

I am also a native of Houston, and I root for the Astros, despite not living in Texas for 20 years.  Even as an Astros fan, I found the first two games extremely boring. Pitching battles don't make good TV. It will be interesting to see if Gerritt Cole can get a win for the Yanks.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

If someone could take Ron Darling, Jeff Francoer and Whateverthefuck the other guy’s name is and yeet them directly into the sun that would be peaches.  Amazing they can commentate on the game at all in between slurping ALL over the Astros.

Edited by mojoween
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
32 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Whatever, fuck it, I’m done.  Go NL and may unpunished cheaters never be rewarded again.

My condolences.

Okay, not really. I stopped caring two weeks ago.

Right now, Padres are up 4-3, and the first inning isn’t over. Nobody out for the Phillies.

ETA: Second time in postseason history where both starters got knocked out in the first inning. First time that happened was in 1932.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

If someone cold take Ron Darling, Jeff Francoer and Whateverthefuck the other guy’s name is and yeet them directly into the sun that would be peaches.  Amazing they can commentate on the game at all in between slurping ALL over the Astros.

I like Ron Darling, but yeah, the a-kissing they’re doing over the Cheatstros is astounding.  But all TBS announcers are like this, every post season.  They pick a team, collectively, and just proceed to give them a mouth message all throughout the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

My condolences.

Okay, not really. I stopped caring two weeks ago.

Right now, Padres are up 4-3, and the first inning isn’t over. Nobody out for the Phillies.

ETA: Second time in postseason history where both starters got knocked out in the first inning. First time that happened was in 1932.

Phillies won 10-6 helped with 2 home runs from Rhys Hoskins and home runs from JT Realmuto and Kyle Schwarber as well as 2 RBI doubles from Bryce Harper. They are one win away from a World Series berth. 

It was a very exciting game and I may have some gray hair now 😂

• Love 3

Wheels are off the Padre bus. I don't see them coming back, even with Darvish. He is known to be inconsistent. I think they shot their wad beating the Dodgers. Oh well.

I would marginally root for Philly against the Ass-tros in the World Series, but to be honest, I don't think I will watch much. 

17 hours ago, roamyn said:

I like Ron Darling, but yeah, the a-kissing they’re doing over the Cheatstros is astounding.  But all TBS announcers are like this, every post season.  They pick a team, collectively, and just proceed to give them a mouth message all throughout the playoffs.

You answered subconsciously why I dont watch these games.  Or would just put it on mute 

I never would have thought it growing up but broadcasters can make or break a viewing experience 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Wheels are off the Padre bus. I don't see them coming back, even with Darvish. He is known to be inconsistent. I think they shot their wad beating the Dodgers. Oh well.

I would marginally root for Philly against the Ass-tros in the World Series, but to be honest, I don't think I will watch much. 

Maybe San Diego can escape, but then that'll be it for them despite getting whatever NLCS games remain at home.  They might have to empty the tank.

As mentioned, I'd rather not see Houston beat New York (and the rest of the AL) for nothing.  Short of Dusty getting the title, there's not much to root for in terms of the Astros.  While Baker winning a ring would be nice, I don't know if I'll have that much interest if, say they sweep the Yankees while the NLCS goes to a Game 7.  Shouldn't be too painful since I believe that would give the NL winner a couple days off to rest instead of the nothing the Yankees got

I guess this has been going on all playoffs but this is the first time I caught it.

Harper hits a go ahead HR.  So I say good for him, job well done, etc...

But interviewing him right in the dugout after that happened?  WTF? 

Funny I was just listening to Rosenthal talk about that in a podcast. He said the players give permission (or not) in advance. It seems he's been getting a lot of grief for it on twitter.

If it's been discussed in advance and the player is given a genuine opportunity to decline, I think it's fine.

I prefer it to the mics on the field tbh bc I do think it can distract them when they're on the field.

Eta I was hoping SD would succeed ah well. Decided to switch to the Seinfeld ep with Keith Hernandez instead.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1
Just now, mojoween said:

Love that Castellanos made the final out.  Good for Philly.

(as a New York Football Giants fan I’m apparently supposed to hate all things Philly?  But I don’t, never have)

You're not a Pens fan.  I think by default, the hate for Philly rivals that of New York.  Though I wouldn't bet on it.  The Phillies are great, the 76ers are?  It's neutral.  The Eagles? Same as Phillies, but you can hate them since you'd have to finalize your will before going to Lincoln Financial Field.  OTOH, you can respect them since they actually care and can be competitive.

Most important, their only Super Bowl win came at the expense of New England in their quest to repeat for the second time.

Fuck the Flyers.

Just think, in ANY other year in the history of baseball, this (Phillies World Series BOUND) would have never happened.  It would never have been a possibility

15 minutes ago, cleo said:

Funny I was just listening to Rosenthal talk about that in a podcast. He said the players give permission (or not) in advance. It seems he's been getting a lot of grief for it on twitter.

If it's been discussed in advance and the player is given a genuine opportunity to decline, I think it's fine.

I prefer it to the mics on the field tbh bc I do think it can distract them when they're on the field.

Eta I was hoping SD would succeed ah well. Decided to switch to the Seinfeld ep with Keith Hernandez instead.

I wouldn't mind this so much if the sideline reporter asked some interesting questions.  But we really don't need to hear "how did you feel?" because really, what's he gonna say?  Terrible??  

Yay Philly!  (Something I never thought I'd say...)

ETA:  I briefly considered trying to get tickets to the Series, but then remembered I'd be in Philly sitting with Phillies fans.  Nothing personal @shoregirl, but I've done that before, and...no thanks.

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 2