Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Pens meaning Penguins?  Actually I *am* a Pittsburgh fan because as a teenage girl I thought Mario Lemieux and Kevin Stevens (I think that was his name) were cute.

Sigh.  I don’t recall one team having so many rain issues in one postseason.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Carey said:

You're not a Pens fan.  I think by default, the hate for Philly rivals that of New York.  Though I wouldn't bet on it.  The Phillies are great, the 76ers are?  It's neutral.  The Eagles? Same as Phillies, but you can hate them since you'd have to finalize your will before going to Lincoln Financial Field.  OTOH, you can respect them since they actually care and can be competitive.

Most important, their only Super Bowl win came at the expense of New England in their quest to repeat for the second time.

Fuck the Flyers.

Just think, in ANY other year in the history of baseball, this (Phillies World Series BOUND) would have never happened.  It would never have been a possibility

Just for fun....

8-20.jpg

• LOL 3

Phillies advance to the World Series. I didn’t see this coming, they were kind of under the radar all season and never got talked about, I wasn’t sure if they had a complete team or not but they’ve played really well this postseason and are off to face either the Yankees or the Astros.

26 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Pens meaning Penguins?  Actually I *am* a Pittsburgh fan because as a teenage girl I thought Mario Lemieux and Kevin Stevens (I think that was his name) were cute.

Sigh.  I don’t recall one team having so many rain issues in one postseason.

My fault.  I thought you hated Pittsburgh.  Guess you love the city but not the sports teams.  Maybe it was just the Steelers.  BTW, if you hate the Pirates, nobody would have a problem with that haha.

Ah yes.  Yet another delay.  There are no words; I'm sorry.

While a Yankees elimination is not what you'd want, I sorta want that since it would prevent the series from lasting too far into the week.  Without the day off between Games 5 & 6, I can't see New York pulling off a 2004 Boston.  Really infinity reasons why it's not happening this year

In the pantheon of Pittsburgh sports, it’s just the Stillers I hate.  Jason Grilli graduated from the same high school I did three years after me and was a Sports Illustrated cover boy as a Buc, so I don’t hate the Pirates.  Mostly indifferent to them.

• Useful 1

I really dislike the Phillies,  I will root for whoever is playing them.

Also if Bryce Harper had gone to ANY AL/NL Central or West team I wouldn't mind him winning a World Series, but he had to go and be the biggest douchebag in the world and sign with Philly.  So hopefully no ring for him.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, jennifer6973 said:

I really dislike the Phillies,  I will root for whoever is playing them.

Also if Bryce Harper had gone to ANY AL/NL Central or West team I wouldn't mind him winning a World Series, but he had to go and be the biggest douchebag in the world and sign with Philly.  So hopefully no ring for him.

I also dislike the Phillies - my 2 favorite teams are the Marlins and Braves, and the Phillies are rivals with both, so I will be rooting for the Astros or Yankees in this World Series - I know this is an unpopular opinion on here but there it is. 

What exactly was San Diego attempting to do by bunting in 9th inning?  Was it a very poorly executed attempt for a base hit?   1st and 2nd with 1 out- you have 2 chances to get him in-  2nd and 3rd with 2 out (after bunt) you have only 1 chance to get him in.  I realize Grisham was having a nightmare series 0 for 18, perhaps afraid of a double play???  But to bunt?? Why not pinch hit?🤔

I'm also rooting for Houston. Hard not to like some of their newer players- Alvarez, Pena. And the pitching- damn. Guys that just came out of nowhere. 

But congrats to the Phillies.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

This chucklehead on TBS sounded like he was lamenting that when robot umpire overlords take over, catchers framing pitches that aren’t strikes but make them look like strikes will be a lost art and what the fuck, dude.

With Houston sweeping their foes in both the LDS and LCS, they become the third team to do so, and I believe, the second AL team to achieve that feat.  The bad news is both teams that preceded them with that mark lost in the fall classic

I dunno what’s worse . . . that the Yankees got swept (when was the last time that happened in a best-of-seven?), that Aaron Judge might’ve played his last game in pinstripes, or that one a-hole that showed up in orange with his team up three games. As much as I don’t care for the Yankees, their fans didn’t deserve that last one.

Honestly, there are now 27 teams tearing through their couches, looking to see how much money they have to offer Judge when he officially goes free agent.

Phillies vs. Astros. How will Fox sell that series?

• Love 1

I think it's been a decade since New York was last swept.  They lost Jeter early and never recovered.  This year they lost structure with the weather and never recovered.

I don't know how FOX will successfully promote the World Series.  Other than High School Football, there isn't much happening on Friday, so a start there might be okay before running into College Football.  They will avoid Sunday football, but a downer of a fall classic could be over in a hurry during the early-mid part of next week.  It might be forgettable (save for wins by either Baker or Harper) at the end of the day

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Phillies vs. Astros. How will Fox sell that series?

They could successfully sell it as "plucky underdogs versus World Series cheaters". But TPTB at MLB and in the media clearly want us to forget that ever happened. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

They could successfully sell it as "plucky underdogs versus World Series cheaters". But TPTB at MLB and in the media clearly want us to forget that ever happened. 

For real.  They'd never sell it as the invisible World Series.  A team that coulda been decimated with a proper punishment vs a team that wouldn't even have been in the postseason in any other year in the history of baseball

I’m going to predict Astros win the series in 5 games, the Astros are just red hot and I think it’s clear they have a better team than the Phillies, both hitting and pitching. The Astros have a pretty dominant pitching rotation that will be hard for the Phillies to handle, plus the Astros have been to the World Series several times lately while the Phillies haven’t been since 2009. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 10/23/2022 at 6:12 PM, mojoween said:

(as a New York Football Giants fan I’m apparently supposed to hate all things Philly?  But I don’t, never have)

That's OK, I hate them enough for the both of us!

😄

• LOL 2

Philly is the 4th largest media market in the US and Harper is one of the biggest stars in the game that people love to hate, so I imagine that Philly making it over San Diego isn't hurting the networks feelings too much.

They'd obviously rather have the Yankees but Houston is basically the recurring villain of MLB right now.

• Love 3

I am so sick of hearing the NY fans bitch & moan abt their Skankees not winning a WS in 20 yrs, and not appearing in one in 13 years!

Try being in other’s shoes:  the Mets, Oakland, Seattle, Diamondbacks, etc.

Try being a Cleveland fan.  We haven’t won since 1948 - the longest stretch in baseball.  Not to mention famously losing TWO WS in extra innings in Game 7s (F U Jose Mesa & Trevor Bauer)

While Cleveland fans are thanking the Guardians for a great season & honoring Tito with a rousing ovation at Cavs games, they’re all over YT whining abt how the Skankees should be expected to be in the WS every year!

• Love 5

I'm really surprised they're keeping Boone. I don't follow the Yankees enough to know who is at fault, but usually at this point someone pays the price. I always think the GMs should bear more responsibility for putting the roster together but the front line manager usually goes instead.

I think they just fired him

Edited to add: The above is due to a note I read while searching for Aaron's contract details.

Officially, I haven't seen any information or sources related to his fate.  No word on whether he stays or goes as of this moment.

If he goes, New York can afford it, I suppose.  However, if he stays for one more year, that I'd understand.  The Yankees were kinda screwed with the weather & schedule.  However, that shouldn't translate into giving up & getting swept.

Boone is under contract up to 2024 with a 2025 option year.  Makes more sense to kick him out following the 2023 season without valid, positive results under NYY standards

Edited by Carey

Some have proposed the Astros as a landing spot for Boone if he gets fired. Aaron Boone and Dusty Baker are friends. Dusty knows everyone after 50 years in MLB.

I feel like the Yankees organization must be a horribly stressful place for managers.  I got stressed out just watching Aaron Boone on TV.

• Love 1

Would be pretty funny if Boone went to Houston. 

ETA sorry Yankees fans here, I know it's hard to lose. That Jays collapse was really hard to stomach. It's almost better when they just outright suck and there is no hope.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1

The Cardinals are in the market for coaches.  In addition to Skip Schumaker (bench) leaving the Cards to manage the Marlins, Jeff Albert (hitting) and Mike Maddux (pitching) have stepped down.  Bryan Eversgerd (bullpen) is getting "reassigned".

Jeez...

• Love 1
On 10/24/2022 at 12:46 PM, mojoween said:

Happy 30th anniversary Blue Jays!  Making the World Series truly the World Series.

That was my sister's 30th wedding anniversary. I remember at the reception some people huddled around a radio listening to the game. We were cheering for Toronto! Weren't Jack Morris and Dave Winfield on the team at the time?

• Love 3
22 hours ago, cleo said:

Would be pretty funny if Boone went to Houston. 

ETA sorry Yankees fans here, I know it's hard to lose. That Jays collapse was really hard to stomach. It's almost better when they just outright suck and there is no hope.

As a Pirates fan, I can attest that there's  some truth to this.  

And again I say: Nutting needs gone. 

• Love 1

Deadspin speculates on destinations for upcoming free agents. The big one is that Aaron Judge would join the Dodgers. Also, Jacob deGrom . . . would go south to play in Cobb County. I know he’s getting older and that his excellence is based on how often he can pitch, and that it’s not a mortal sin to follow the money . . . but that would suck. How many games would intra-division teams play? Eighteen? If that translates to six series, then that would mean 4-6 games of deGromination upon the Mets.

Good news from the predictions . . . even though the Mets wouldn’t bring in new players, they would retain Diaz, Bassit and Nimmo. I know, grain of salt in general with the predictions.

Game 3 would be on October 31 in Philadelphia. That seems like a good time to tune in. The rest? Feh.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Man I absolutely loved this game (Facebook memory from 10/24/18)

The 1939 World Series, a four game sweep by the Yankees over the Reds, took seven hours and five minutes TOTAL.  

Game three of the 2018 World Series took seven hours and twenty minutes.

Game’s changed, man.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Deadspin speculates on destinations for upcoming free agents. The big one is that Aaron Judge would join the Dodgers. Also, Jacob deGrom . . . would go south to play in Cobb County. I know he’s getting older and that his excellence is based on how often he can pitch, and that it’s not a mortal sin to follow the money . . . but that would suck. How many games would intra-division teams play? Eighteen? If that translates to six series, then that would mean 4-6 games of deGromination upon the Mets.

Good news from the predictions . . . even though the Mets wouldn’t bring in new players, they would retain Diaz, Bassit and Nimmo. I know, grain of salt in general with the predictions.

Game 3 would be on October 31 in Philadelphia. That seems like a good time to tune in. The rest? Feh.

Braves probably need deGrom, even a lesser version.  I believe their "hot prospect," Mike Soroka, is done... as in, his career is over before it ever really got started.

• Love 1
On 10/23/2022 at 10:41 PM, mojoween said:

This chucklehead on TBS sounded like he was lamenting that when robot umpire overlords take over, catchers framing pitches that aren’t strikes but make them look like strikes will be a lost art and what the fuck, dude.

I know, I can't stand that attitude.  Anyways, players keep voting against the robot umpires (and me).

On 10/24/2022 at 1:46 PM, mojoween said:

Happy 30th anniversary Blue Jays!  Making the World Series truly the World Series.

(And we won again in 1993) but since then.... 

200.gif

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 10/27/2022 at 1:35 PM, Lantern7 said:

Also, Jacob deGrom . . . would go south to play in Cobb County. I know he’s getting older and that his excellence is based on how often he can pitch, and that it’s not a mortal sin to follow the money . . . but that would suck. How many games would intra-division teams play? Eighteen? If that translates to six series, then that would mean 4-6 games of deGromination upon the Mets.

Given the last couple of seasons, we might only face him once or twice next year.  I would hate to lose deGrom, especially to the Braves, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. He'll be 35 next season, an aging power pitcher who only made 26 total starts over the last two years, spending significant time on the injured list.

Max Scherzer (who is already 38) is making $43M a year; you know Jacob is going to want more than that. Is he worth upwards of $50M a year, for the next three or four years? Yes, Uncle Steve seems to be playing with Monopoly money, but at what point does he say 'enough'? You also have to figure in the luxury tax hit that goes with these. If they bring deGrom back at that level, we'd be looking at almost $100M in salary tied up on two (aging) starting pitchers.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I know he’s polarizing, but I’ve never disliked him, and hearing the World Series start without Joe Buck is weird.

100%.  I grew up with a ton of greats calling it before Joe, but he'd been the guy forever.  Really grew over his time at FOX.  I mean that since I'm just not used to Kenny as a main PBP guy right now (and he's not polarizing)

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Carey said:

100%.  I grew up with a ton of greats calling it before Joe, but he'd been the guy forever.  Really grew over his time at FOX.  I mean that since I'm just not used to Kenny as a main PBP guy right now (and he's not polarizing)

I for one am thrilled Joe Buck is not calling the World Series, or the Super Bowl this year, I can’t stand Joe Buck. He has no passion for sports, and he never would’ve become a major announcer if daddy hadn’t been a major announcer, he’s a 100% nepotism case. He’s my least favorite play by play announcer by a mile - bland as they come with no passion and somewhat smug as well. 

• Like 3