Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Honor Thy Father

I don't like fast-ones pulled on me. 

I don't like characters introduced in the last minute to tie things up.

So, I didn't like this episode.

And I especially didn't like Huck this episode.  "Let'skillJakeLet'skillJakeLet'skillJakeLet'skillJakeLet'skillJakeLet'skillJake".  THAT'S HIM!

What was even the point with story B.  Saving the father from death row and shit and the Congressman's the real murderer but the father was trying to protect him but both end up spending years in torment.  Seems so cookie cutter.

Mellie's sister's a hoosier?  Big whoop.

• Love 1

Boring episode.

Once again, the white hats are going to take down B613. zzzzzzzzzzzz. Who didn't see Olivia sidepiece a papa plant? Good grief.

This Mellie running for Senate/President is a complete joke.

This show has become so bad.

• Love 5
(edited)

I wish David would testify against Jake, Jake is not a good guy. How do they have him say that minutes after showing flashbacks of him murdering 3 people including Cyrus's husband. 

Ugh at more B613 and Rowan crap. The show did so well last week.

Mellie's sister was the most interesting one of the episode. 

Fitz being so gung how to help Mellie is ridiculous, hope Cyrus smacks him in the head. He does realize no Vermont comes from him sticking with Mellie? 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

I wish David would testify against Jake, Jake is not a good guy. How do they have him say that minutes after showing flashbacks of him murdering 3 people including Cyrus's husband. 

Jake has secret mind control powers?

(edited)

Why do they keep staying shit like we're the good guys? What is this? Some cartoon or something. It's ridiculous. SMH.

They all looked stupid sitting on the steps of the capitol.

Edited by Sidney
  • Love 3
(edited)

I can't believe they all sat on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and called themselves "White Hats"- Huck, Quinn, Charlie: all assassins and torturers. And David- wimpy blackmailer.  Blackhats all to anyone with an ounce of conscience.

Loved Fitz stepping it up for Mellie.  About time.  They make a nice team. You could imagine them slipping into a marriage of respect and shared experiences (but not passion). And finally being able to laugh over some inside jokes, like Papa's hooch.

Papa Pope.  Papa Pope.  Papa Pope.  Some more scenery-eating next episode I guess.  Sigh.  I can wait 2 weeks for that.

(guess the above poster and I had the same idea at the same time)

Edited by Dr Epi
  • Love 8

Last week, the show made such a big deal of Mellie separating from Fitz politically and making a big, showy, public stance of supporting same-sex marriage. So why is the first thing we learn about Mellie's sister that she thinks Fitz has betrayed his Republican ideals but Mellie is still a "real" Republican?

Also, I was hoping we'd never see Rowan again. He better be killed by the end of the season. I am so, so, sick of anything involving B613. We know it's over at the end of the season, right, since everyone who watches the show hates it? I'm guessing Rowan dies, followed by Jake, so we can start clearing the decks for Olivia and Fitz to live happily ever after.

• Love 1

That was a particularly rank episode.

Let's start with the case of the week. If the client wanted to turn his own stupid ass in because of the guilt he felt, all he had to do was say, "Liv, my dad is going to die for something I did. And he's said that if I try to confess, he'll kill himself. I need your help to turn myself in without getting my dad to make good on his threat."

If he wanted to frame murder victim's dead wife, exonerate his dad and remain free, he could have planted the gun and called in the anonymous tip himself. No need to involve Liv. 

What he didn't have to do and what makes no sense is what he apparently did: pretend that he's just an innocent person wanting justice for his dad while planting evidence that he's for some reason expecting Olivia to find and have tested all in the limited time before his father's execution.

Another thing that bugs: even the shittiest investigation into the murder is going to be trying to figure out where the murder weapon is. With Congressdad confessing, it would seem very out of place for the cops to not ask about where the gun was, or for him to be like, "Don't know!" So it should have been found and seized as evidence, which would have been retained until all appeals were exhausted. The gun could not plausibly be left for Congressman to plant in 2015.

It seemed fairly blatant that Congressman was the actual killer. Which adds to the ever-growing roster of politicians who are murderers -- Fitz, Sally, the Democratic governor of Maryland, probably some others I've forgotten. Perhaps there should be a Killers' Caucus.

Onto the B613 plot. I have to admit that I didn't anticipate that Russell was another B613 person. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The mystery of where my post went .... hmmmmm ...

The whole Olitz thing -- I never can see what she finds so attractive in Fitz. When she came back from the kidnapping and she snapped and turned on him, I saw a light go on. Yay!! She sees he is WEAK. I never liked Fitz. To me, he can't make his own decisions. He's easily swayed, he let's someone else make up his policies. Enter Cyrus, who pretty much runs the Fitz show, except when he falls into his own personal pitfalls and has to get bailed out. So that's when, Olivia is the one running the country and the White House. Except when Papa Pope pulls all the Command strings. Except when Jake pulls a few Command strings of his own.

Which brings me to Jake. He is my favorite boyfriend. BUT that's only when I can forget that he is prone to lop off a head every now and then to finish a job for Huck, or when he shoots people like James dead on the street. But other than that, he's a nice romantic, sexy, virile bedmate. He's great on the beach, standing in the sun, you know. The jam-making in Vermont - forget that crap. So, I see that Jake needs to take out Papa Pope and his recruits (not easy, but of course, Jake and Huck will do it.) Then Huck needs to go because, let's face it, he's stepped over the line and his wife knows all. I think Papa will definitely be gunning for wifey. So, Papa will be gone, Huck and wife will be gone, Jake will be the 'good guy' he keeps trying to convince himself he is, Mellie will be the Senator from Virginia, and I think Mellie and Fitz will go on like the real-life Clintons. Do their own thing, but stay attached as a political entity.

Which means Olivia needs to give up the Fitz stuff. Oh, yeah, you can throw Charlie in the dead heap, too. Too psycho. Did I cover it all? Are you listening, Shonda? Is Judy Smith trying to tell us that this stuff really happened and her daddy was Command for the white house, too? C'mon, Shonda. And, PS - who cleans up all these messes? Because I need someone to come and fix up my house - not that I have blood splatter everywhere, but still ...

Edited by Gracie615
  • Love 6

Huck (or Yuck as I now call him) needs to take Jake out because Jake is a killer? This is the same Huck that only an episode ago slit an innocent woman's throat , while his White Hat Colleague looked on, not because she was a bad guy but because she was messing up his "get his family back" plan. Shonda, if you are reading this : please make some sense of these characters, we the viewers have memory spans longer than an hour (unlike the dopes at Pope & Company ". I can't be invested in these dumb characters pursuits because their motivations and morale superiority make no sense. STOP FOR GODS SAKE AND GIVE ME BACK THE SEASON 1 AWESOMENESS THAT MADE ME LOVE THIS SHOW. I beg of you!!!!

Rant. Over.

• Love 8

The following things need to go from Scandal:

1) David -- They try to sell him as a white hat, but he has always been more self-serving than self-sacrificing, a fact that was made blatantly clear with his blackmailing from earlier this season. Plus, he is just uber stupid. All I know is that when its time to put together a plan and pick a side, I want to be on whatever side David is not, just cause.

2) Charlie -- Why is a character who makes Huck seem relatable still there? Oh wait, he's needed to prop up the awful that is Quinn -- a character who should have been gone from Season 2.

3) B-613 -- Although I will miss Rowan for no other reason than he forever lets Oliva and Fitz know the truth of who they really are, which ain't much.

Mellie and her storyline continue to underwhelm, her appeal continues to escape me. But maybe as a black woman, I highly doubt that little miss rich, white, republican, from Virginia could ever have good intentions for me or anyone like me and I hate Shondaland trying to pretend she isn't the show's Michelle Bachman, with the matching marriage of convenience.

I hope black jump off is not long for the show because through no fault of the actor, I have only seen him play vile characters who I hate, so I can't invest in him. And if the show is trying to bring on a potential new man in Olivia's life, it needs to be someone I can invest if if they want me to believe they are considering going with him over Olivia and Fitz, who they continue to shove down our throats.

Oh yeah, have I mentioned that this is the worst of the four seasons of Scandal?

• Love 4
(edited)

This damned show just continues to slide down the trashpile.  If I have to watch any more of stupid B613 and/or Papa Pope's pontificating, I might just slit my own damned throat.

ETA: same goes for hearing "Gladiators" or "White Hats".  Just make. it. stop.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 9
(edited)

Why is a character who makes Huck seem relatable still there? Oh wait, he's needed to prop up the awful that is Quinn -- a character who should have been gone from Season 2.

There are shows that put story ahead of production's own fondness for their casts-- Game of Thrones, for instance, and to some degree a show like Mad Men-- and shows where production is so fond of their casts that the story is constantly shaped so they don't really have to get rid of almost anyone, ever.  Scandal pretends to be the first, but is actually the second.  How many major characters have actually been killed off or have left Scandal for good?  Not many, and in two of the three notable cases, not because the show originally planned to do so story-wise, but because of behind-the-scenes issues.

You'd think that with such a violent organization like B613 that someone-- Jake, Huck, Charlie, Quinn, Rowan-- would be dead by now.  But who's dead besides bystanders or one-shot, nothing characters?  James is the biggest character to die in that storyline (and one of the only major recurring characters to die in the history of the show), but two-thirds of the time you'd think that death never happened from the way the show mostly ignores any ramifications from it.  So what about killing someone big who is actually from B613?  The stakes have never been really that high with B613, despite all the show's pretense that it is. 

I think that's one reason why so many people are so bored by B613: it's all this frantic running around with "they're going to kill us!"  "they're unstoppable!"  "help! help!"

Except we're never shown anything that makes us really particularly think that's true.  This week's bait-and-switch about Jake is precisely that kind of phony "pretend to go somewhere and then actually don't" storyline that pretty much sums up the show's whole approach to B613.  My feeling is if they want us to invest and see B613 as a real threat, then, for the sake of that story, surprise us by actually killing someone big.

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 8
(edited)

Huck would be my first choice.

Sigh. I guess we'll be back to Olivia swapping her magical vagina between Fitz and Jake. (Long overdue! LOL) Who will she choose?  Stay tune..........

Edited by Sidney
  • Love 3

Except we're never shown anything that makes us really particularly think that's true.  This week's bait-and-switch about Jake is precisely that kind of phony "pretend to go somewhere and then actually don't" storyline that pretty much sums up the show's whole approach to B613.  My feeling is if they want us to invest and see B613 as a real threat, then, for the sake of that story, surprise us by actually killing someone big.

Didn't B613 kill the POTUS' son?  Okay, the kid wasn't on the Show that much, but it is pretty big thing, isn't it?

I'm annoyed that Daddy Pope is back.  Please, please, please let him get killed off before he gives another one of his long inane, boring rants!  If Jake can kill Rowan, I will be on Team Jake forever!

Wow!  Mellie's half sister is one trashy looking broad!  I like the way how Harmony makes prim and proper Mellie crazy!  As much as I am tempted to hate Harmony, I really couldn't.  Mellie started the fight at the dinner table, and over something so trivial as wanting Harmony to address Fitz as Mr. President!  Why shouldn't Harmony be able to address her brother-in-law by his name when they are sitting together in a private, family dinner?  I'm glad that Fitz stepped up and smooth things over with Harmony.  Was it a true observation that Fitz had about Mellie being jealous of Harmony because Harmony's mom took away Mellie's dad?  I guess it doesn't matter because Harmony forgave Mellie anyway.  This is the first thing I'm very proud of Fitz doing on the Show.  I have a feeling this is not the last of Harmony, if Cyrus has anything to do with it.

I confess I did not see David's assistant as the B613 assassin!  That was a pretty cool twist that I really appreciate.  I already knew Jake didn't go all crazy and evil.  I like how Jake saved David.  Yep, they are all in this together, really.  I want B613 taken down!  I want Rowan Pope gone!

• Love 2

I must have missed it, but how is Mellie running for the senate in Virginia when she lives in D.C.? Like very state in the union, Virginia has a residency requirement for politicians running for office. Also, Virginia has become a blue state for national elections. She has not shot of winning the election so why is she bothering? And why is Fitz helping her instead of dumping her so he can be with Olivia after he leaves office? Lastly, has everyone forgotten that Mellie is a terrible politician and person as well as a warmonger?

I miss the show I fell in love with during the first two seasons. I'm not one to give up on shows easily, but it seems like Shonda and the writers have lost sight of everything that made the show so appealing in the first place. I'm hoping they'll finally wrap up the whole B613 storyline by the end of this season. I can't imagine continuing to watch if they drag it out for another year.

I agree that there is a problem with a lack of major character death (James was a shocking exception) limiting the impact of B16's Big Badness, but I'm glad that Charlie walked off the episode alive. I like his weird relationship with Quinn, his Robin, and I loved their goodbye.

Harmony vs Mellie... that was fun! I love Drunk!Mellie and TruthTelling!Mellie, but FamilyDysfunction!Mellie puts them both to shame. When her assistant informed her that Harmony was there,and Mellie gave that fake enthusiasm fist pump with a grimace on her face, I fell over laughing. I have a similar inability to hide my feelngs.

Why do they keep staying shit like we're the good guys?

I've always felt that the show would be better off if they just admitted that the main characters are not the good guys - unless the writers' goal is eliciting unintentional laughter in the audience. In which case - carry on.

• Love 6
Didn't B613 kill the POTUS' son?  Okay, the kid wasn't on the Show that much, but it is pretty big thing, isn't it?

True, but the president's son was pretty much a non-seen nothing character who suddenly briefly became a character, mostly, it seems, so they could quickly kill him off.  It was a big thing to Fitz and Mellie; to viewers, not so much, since we barely knew him.  Notice we don't exactly see their daughter having storylines these days.  I guess if they need B613 to kill someone else, the show can bring the daughter back for one episode where Mellie and her have some boring two minute talk about college, and then "shockingly" kill her in the next episode.  To me, though, "shocking" means you take a risk and kill off someone who's legitimately been a real part of the show.  And the big characters on this show who work or have worked for B613 are probably safer from death than if they all worked at Dundler-Mifflin.

• Love 1

I must have missed it, but how is Mellie running for the senate in Virginia when she lives in D.C.? Like very state in the union, Virginia has a residency requirement for politicians running for office. Also, Virginia has become a blue state for national elections. She has not shot of winning the election so why is she bothering? And why is Fitz helping her instead of dumping her so he can be with Olivia after he leaves office? Lastly, has everyone forgotten that Mellie is a terrible politician and person as well as a warmonger?

There was a throwaway line about her buying a house/farm in Virginia to establish residency.  One would think she needs to spend some time there to make that look legit, but I think owning the property is enough to fulfill the requirement.

Hilary Clinton bought a house in NY pretty soon before she ran for Senate.  I remember she was criticized for it, but she still won.

• Love 1

Also, I was hoping we'd never see Rowan again. He better be killed by the end of the season. I am so, so, sick of anything involving B613. We know it's over at the end of the season, right, since everyone who watches the show hates it? I'm guessing Rowan dies, followed by Jake, so we can start clearing the decks for Olivia and Fitz to live happily ever after.

At this point, I'm going to be deeply disappointed if Rowan doesn't die mid-monologue. No off-screen bullshit for me, Shonda. Rowan needs to be in full mocking, self-righteous mode then 1)interrupted and 2)shot. Then we should never have to hear about B613 again.

• Love 9

There was a throwaway line about her buying a house/farm in Virginia to establish residency.  One would think she needs to spend some time there to make that look legit, but I think owning the property is enough to fulfill the requirement.

Hilary Clinton bought a house in NY pretty soon before she ran for Senate.  I remember she was criticized for it, but she still won.

They ARE the Clintons, no doubt about it. That's why he will never leave Melly. They have an agreement to help one another, just like Hill and Bill.

• Love 4

I haven't watched the show in a long time, but happened to catch this episode.  Harmony might be the trashy sister, but the hair for both actresses was similarly awful. I've never understood the Mellie hairstyles, especially when she's meant to be a polished First Lady, but I was particularly distracted during their dinner fight.  Oh, the ties that bind.

• Love 3

Mellie's little half cardigans are straight out of the 1990s. That $&@# has got to go.

Can't we just round up her sweaters, Papa Pope, Huck, all references to white hats, and Cy's wigs and light the match?

At least they've ditched the Jackie Kennedy hairdos this season, which makes Mellie, and Bellamy Young, look a lot better IMO.

It's challenging to choose the most awful character but I think I have to go with Huck as first choice, just get rid of him, get him off the show.  Not that any of them are saints but he is vile in every way imaginable and, Jake?  Well - what am I saying - they are all grotesque - I think I will tune out until I the season finale or maybe not even then.

I'm still not sure what that whole kidnapping crap was about other than to be some odd showcase for KW - don't know, don't care.

I was really confused by this episode -- so, Jake didn't want to testify at the beginning (or did he fake not want to testify), and forced the B613 trio + David into Plan B to flush the mole...? The whole "If I testify, Olivia's dead!" was...true? False? I'd say that was a cover, except that then Huck sort of said the same thing later.

The more I think about this episode, the more the whole "Psych! Liv's been in on the surveillance the whole time!" seems like a weird attempt at an OMG moment, when it was more WTF for me. Liv is down with the plan to take down B613? As is Jake? So...they're all on the same side, and it was just that one evil mole that Jake was trying to get...?

Massively unpopular opinion perhaps, but I'm excited to see Papa Pope again. Joe Morton always holds my attention, and he's a really good actor -- which is more than I can say for some of them. Speechify away, Papa Pope -- at least you're actually still trying to act!

• Love 2
(edited)
Massively unpopular opinion perhaps, but I'm excited to see Papa Pope again. Joe Morton always holds my attention, and he's a really good actor -- which is more than I can say for some of them. Speechify away, Papa Pope -- at least you're actually still trying to act!

It's not unpopular with me!  I love myself some Papa Pope!  I love his rants.  He always gives me a good cackle.

The case of the week was boring.

The B-whatevers are a total ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.  All they ever elicit from me are eye rolls. White hats?  Good guys?  Yeah, right! Seriously, Shonda can GTFOH with that ridiculousness. In fact, I thoroughly agree with the below (even though I still like David):

I can't believe they all sat on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and called themselves "White Hats"- Huck, Quinn, Charlie: all assassins and torturers. And David- wimpy blackmailer.  Blackhats all to anyone with an ounce of conscience.

I actually wish they had given more prominence to the Mellie/Harmony plot.  At least their relationship was somewhat intriguing. That's more than I can say for this episode.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 1

More on how the B613 stuff in this episode didn't make sense:

1. So David's assistant is a B613 mole. Why did she allow Huck's wife to make the complaint about B613 in the first place, rather than giving her a polite brushoff or a not-so-polite "random mugging"/"accident"? Why have her do her own wetwork on the defectors and risk exposure rather than any of the thousands of B613 killers and mercenaries they have access to?

2. Why is Jake's testimony so crucial that Rosen is going to go through extreme lengths to try to secure it? Don't they already have a buttload of B613 secret files explaining everything that B613 has done forever? And doesn't trying to leverage him by a plea deal or something similar risk undermining his credibility? That's even assuming that a) they could catch him and b) he would be moved by such a plea deal when he clearly doesn't want to testify? Keep in mind, Jake was recently put in a black site prison for allegedly killing the president's son. Having to be in regular prison would not be much of an issue.

3. The fact that Rosen is a witness to/victim of a B613 assassination spree might pose a little bit of a conflict of interest.

4. Wasn't B613 essentially killed off in general anyway? I thought OPA arranged for all the secret funding  B613 had been getting to get cut off.

1. So David's assistant is a B613 mole. Why did she allow Huck's wife to make the complaint about B613 in the first place, rather than giving her a polite brushoff or a not-so-polite "random mugging"/"accident"? Why have her do her own wetwork on the defectors and risk exposure rather than any of the thousands of B613 killers and mercenaries they have access to?

2. Why is Jake's testimony so crucial that Rosen is going to go through extreme lengths to try to secure it? Don't they already have a buttload of B613 secret files explaining everything that B613 has done forever? And doesn't trying to leverage him by a plea deal or something similar risk undermining his credibility? That's even assuming that a) they could catch him and b) he would be moved by such a plea deal when he clearly doesn't want to testify? Keep in mind, Jake was recently put in a black site prison for allegedly killing the president's son. Having to be in regular prison would not be much of an issue.

3. The fact that Rosen is a witness to/victim of a B613 assassination spree might pose a little bit of a conflict of interest.

4. Wasn't B613 essentially killed off in general anyway? I thought OPA arranged for all the secret funding  B613 had been getting to get cut off.

All very good questions for which there are few answers and those few are a stretch.

Maybe the mole secretary was only to observe, for the moment. Jake testimony was important because he was Command for a while.  Rosen has a conflict of interest but everyone else does as well so no biggie? BS13 members, especially Pope Daddy would be criminally liable for past action even if they are disbanded unless they have immunity.

Like I said, it's all a stretch and they could go in completely different directions but that's all I have.

ETA: the "white hats" thing never fails to give me a belly laugh.

So Mellie's frigid mother pushed her husband out of their marriage, away from their family and into the arms of a woman with whom he found true happiness. Where have I heard this story before...hmmm? 

Poor Mellie. She's lost her father, her firstborn son, her husband. Sure she brings a lot of misery on herself, but Bellamy Young makes me feel bad for (and thoroughly enjoy) the character all the same.

A few things that confused me about Harmony -- why wasn't she raised in a lifestyle similar to the one that Mellie enjoyed? If Mellie's father could arrange a union for the daughter that he abandoned, why didn't he do it for the daughter that he raised? Finally, is their father still alive?

I'm glad that Mellie and Fitz appear to have laid down their weapons for good. I think that Shonda is smoothing the way for a permanent return to Fitz/Olivia. In fact I think that much of what is happening this half of the season is laying the groundwork for the third act of this show. 

• Love 1

They actually do not have any B-613 files. Daddy Pope managed to get them back, no doubtedly with his never-ending series of covert spies. When Fitz, Olivia and Jake went to use them against Rowan, all of the files had been replaced with blank pages.

At the beginning of this season, Huck's ex bolstered her claims about B613 with the files that Rosen had color-coded and tabbed. I believe Huck gave them to her in an attempt to prove he wasn't crazy. How Huck got them, I don't know. But they have at least some of the B613 files. 

Yeah, Huck's ex is the last one I recall having the files. This storyline is a huge mess. No wonder the ratings are dropping so quickly. Viewers are tire of this crap.

• Love 1

At the beginning of this season, Huck's ex bolstered her claims about B613 with the files that Rosen had color-coded and tabbed. I believe Huck gave them to her in an attempt to prove he wasn't crazy. How Huck got them, I don't know. But they have at least some of the B613 files.

I forgot about that. You're right, it makes no sense in light of the big "We got the drop on Rowan; Oh ish, no we don't cause he gots the files and we got jack" reveal. This just begs the questions of why did Fitz and Co. act so defeated and why no additional action was taken against B-613 if Huck had the files?

What a colossal train wreck this season is. It is clear there is no storyline blueprint, just whatever story Shonda and her band of writers pull out of their collective butts each week.

"Do you want to know what I would do, if it were my son?"

"NO!!!"

Heh. I've stopped expecting anything good from this show. I thought the fling looked nervous. I thought her father just showed up, unexpectedly.

So Daddy Pope is back. I am not surprised. Is Olivia's current boyfriend part of a ruse or is Daddy Pope going to off him? I couldn't read bf's expression. Was he perturbed? Scared? pissed? I couldn't tell if he was in on it or arrived at the door when Daddy Pope did and was just confused?

I think Charlie stole the ones related to Huck prior to all the other files disappearing. He gave them to Quinn who gave them to Huck who gave them to his wife.