Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: Punk Is Dead

Jo and Isaac Monroe, her handsome, wealthy new suitor, are spending a night out at a punk rock club when a mummified woman's body is found in a wall at the nightspot. It's the team's first cold case. Dead since the early 80's, the victim may have suffered a drug overdose. Punk rocker Eddie Warsaw, her then boyfriend, was convicted of killing her 30 years ago, although he resolutely declared his innocence. Henry empathizes with Eddie as he, too, lost the love of his life, Abigail. He emotionally remembers back to 1984 when Abigail couldn't handle their growing age difference and takes some time away - never to come back to him.

Promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZOaWC2VBhk

• Love 1

Well, CGJr really didn't have much of a part in this.  And nothing whatsoever to suggest he is anything more than a mortal man.  But it looks like he gets another chance next week...

Disappointing plot.  When I heard that the original investigators were quick to close the case, and then that City Hall wanted a 'hush & rush' on the new investigation, i thought a former cop -- now city politician -- was involved.  But no, just one of the usual suspects....

And wasn't it obvious to the cops why Eddie signed a confession?  No surprise that he showed up at the end with a gun!

ETA:  I also thought right at the end there was a perfect opportunity for Henry to throw himself in front of a bullet, saving Jo and opening up a lovely can of worms vis-à-vis his mortality. When was Henry last killed, anyway?  Back when he was skinny-dipping?

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

Well this one sucked because Trash Bar is about to close, and though it didn't actually predate CBGB, it is still a cool bar that has been around awhile. 

This show already has a lot of ongoing mysteries, and I can't say I'm particularly excited about the Abigail one. 

• Love 1

There was a similar episode on Bones. :)

And Joel David Moore (Lucas) recurs/recurred as squintern Fisher! (Albeit not in the first season when the Bones version took place. Hey, just like Forever!)

• Love 2
(edited)

And even on this show, Lucas can't get away from being the pretend victim in the lab reenactment with the guitar!

I loved how excited Lucas got when Henry asked if he wanted to go out that night. He is like the cutest little puppy dog following Henry around and wagging his tail.

Yay for karaoke night! It's nice to see that Henry, Jo, Lucas, and Mike are now making a conscious effort to be a little family. I liked that they invited Jo's new boyfriend too. Even though his character does nothing for me, I like that the others are including him so they can get to know him. But someone needs to tell Cuba Gooding, Jr. to quit with that permanently wrinkled forehead look. It's not a good look on Justin Bieber or Jaden Smith either.

Hee, I loved Joanna saying that the cops couldn't investigate but that Henry could do it.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

That was David Krumholtz who played Judd Hirsch's son for several years on Numbers. Genius casting.

SHUT UP! Seriously? That's awesome. I'm a big Numb3rs fan, now I'm even more eager to see this episode tomorrow! (I DVR Justified and watch Forever on Wednesdays on Hulu Plus)

I hope Cuba Gooding Jr. isn't around for good (or until cancellation) because I can't stand him. I don't follow his "career". Does he always talk like that? High pitched, effeminate, weird diction. Or is that supposed to be his interpretation of a rich New York blue blood? It doesn't work.

I don't understand the significance of the two doves. The logo for the hospital where Eddie's son was born was on a postage stamp? So? Is it suggesting that Abigail mailed Henry a letter with that stamp, and adopted it as the logo of the hospital that she founded? I suppose maybe we eventually learn she is alive and in her 90s and maybe there is a reunion in the season (series?) finale.

• Love 3
(edited)

Some good stuff and some... not so good.

Most jarring moment:

"Oh good! It's not Mom! Let's open an antique store!"

Wait, what? NON-SEQUITER ALERT!

I agree though... genius casting of DK as young Abe. Not only did it work believably, but it's kind of an "in-joke" of pop-culture reference.

CG does nothing for me. There's no chemistry between them.. and frankly, if a rich guy took me to dinner and had the place cleared out of all other patrons, I'd think he was a jerk. Stop impressing me with your money and show me some character and integrity! Besides, being in there all alone without other diners is kinda... creepy. Which totally sums up the character for me.. he's kinda creepy. First a dinner alone at his house, and then he takes her out, but it's still "secluded?". Creepy. And he was just seen by boatloads of people in the episode where the character was introduced, so it's not like he keeps a low profile to remain anonymous.

Creepy.

However, if he is an immortal, his family could have been shot in Africa for some reason in the process of taking him into slavery or sometime before. It didn't have to occur on the ship. The whoel casting and addition of the character isn't working though, so if there's a tie in, they need to give us better clues soon. Or they need to ditch him, cause the romance ain't working for viewers as far as I can tell. Maybe his only purpose is for Henry to realize he may be losing a chance at having love again.

Some large facilities have their own post office, so theorectically, the stamp might match the logo. I can't imagine that the kind of place that girl went would be like that though, so.... hmmm.

We did however, get a pretty good clue that Abe does NOT know what happened to Abigale. He hasn't just been keeping her secret all these years... he doesn't know either. He wouldn't have needed to keep all the stuff Henry collected if he did. And he has it set up as though he's continued to look himself. I wonder how much time he's devoted to it?

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2
Always steal from the best, so they say.

No, he said they stole it from Bones.  BONES.  Personally, I find that show physically painful to watch, and I watch this show so I'm not exactly picky.

"What about Eddie?"

"He's served his time."

Yeah, until he surely violated the terms of his parole by getting a gun and discharging it in the general direction of people.  I don't see where the captain has any leeway on this.

• Love 2
(edited)

Aww I loved that sort of Numb3rs reunion tho younger Abe with brown eyes and older Abe with blue eyes is lulzy. Did enjoy the Lucas hug with Henry when invited to go to the club and their entire interaction there. Heh that Hanson was in a band and cute karaoke scene. It's really the interaction with the main character have with each other that keeps me coming back.

Cuba is boring me here. He has more chemistry with Taraji in 1 ep on Empire than with Alana on going to 3 eps so far next week.

Nice to see Fredrick Weller again. He was my favorite from In Plain Sight.

Edited by turnitwayup
  • Love 4
(edited)

We did however, get a pretty good clue that Abe does NOT know what happened to Abigale. He hasn't just been keeping her secret all these years... he doesn't know either. He wouldn't have needed to keep all the stuff Henry collected if he did. And he has it set up as though he's continued to look himself. I wonder how much time he's devoted to it?

I'm so glad that Abe hasn't been hiding the knowledge of where his mother is from his dad all these years. That would be a terrible secret to keep, one that might actually damage his relationship with his father if Henry found out he knew. I was afraid that would be the case, especially based on how hard he kept pushing Henry to move on. So I'm glad he's in the dark as well, and I'm pretty relieved that he didn't throw all that information away.

David Krumholtz did a great job playing younger Abe.  :)

And I loved both Lucas in this episode (including the moment when he thought Henry was brandishing the knife at him for even daring to ask if he could borrow one of Henry's scarves, ha!) and Hanson giving it his all at the karaoke club. It just tickles me, and I love seeing the camaraderie amongst the team.

That team element is actually one of the reasons I used to watch Bones religiously... and why I stopped watching regularly when they seemed to lose that team connection and (in my opinion) spent too much time forcing romantic elements in a "beat you over the head with a sledgehammer" sort of way. But that's a whole other discussion.  ;)

It's been a long time since I watched the Bones episode "The Man in the Wall" but I've always liked it. Especially because when they broke through the wall, Brennan and her friend Angela accidentally released a cloud of meth and inhaled it. By the time Booth came to investigate the scene, the two women were totally high (hilariously so).

This episode may have had that similar element of a mummified corpse in the wall, but the case was definitely different, and held my interest just as well. I liked a lot about this episode, from Lucas and Henry working together at the club (heh), to Hanson trying to convince everyone that he used to rock out in his day, to Reece talking Henry into going out on his own to gather more information (while pretending she knew nothing about it), to the look Henry gave Jo at the end, like he's starting to see her in a different light now that she seems to be more open to dating again (however slowly). All around an interesting episode.

Yeah, until he surely violated the terms of his parole by getting a gun and discharging it in the general direction of people.  I don't see where the captain has any leeway on this.

I think any parole violation he might have been charged with could easily be overturned by a good lawyer who threatens the city with a massive lawsuit for putting an innocent guy in prison for over 30 YEARS. That's a lot of time to lose.

Even Lt. Reece would be able to use her own knowledge of the case from back then to say, "I know there was more that could have been done to investigate this case, but back then all they saw was a drugged up rocker and a bloody guitar. They sent him to jail with no complete proof, but being a newbie cop back then there wasn't anything I could do."

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 5
Always steal from the best, so they say.
No, he said they stole it from Bones.  BONES.  Personally, I find that show physically painful to watch, and I watch this show so I'm not exactly picky.

HA! It's funny because it's true. I used to watch Bones because of my strong Jossverse loyalty but I finally had to quit watching it because I just couldn't take it anymore. All the characters regressed to the point of being caricatures of themselves and the murders of the week were so predictable (while the premise of the bodies being found in the cold opens got more and more ridiculous as the seasons went on). I also couldn't take the main characters pontificating anymore. Forever, on the other hand, is lighthearted and funny without taking itself too seriously. I like that the characters are slowly evolving but that in many ways they are still the same (as opposed to random personality transplants or inconsistently written characters).

• Love 9
(edited)

Yay for karaoke night! It's nice to see that Henry, Jo, Lucas, and Mike are now making a conscious effort to be a little family. I liked that they invited Jo's new boyfriend too. Even though his character does nothing for me, I like that the others are including him so they can get to know him. But someone needs to tell Cuba Gooding, Jr. to quit with that permanently wrinkled forehead look. It's not a good look on Justin Bieber or Jaden Smith either.

Agreed with all of what you said except about the "permanently wrinkled forehead look" part. If my own experience is any indication, I imagine that habit started due to an insecurity about the size of their foreheads. If it is put on. In CGJ's case I think that's just his face.

Some good stuff and some... not so good.

Most jarring moment:

Wait, what? NON-SEQUITER ALERT!

I agree though... genius casting of DK as young Abe. Not only did it work believably, but it's kind of an "in-joke" of pop-culture reference.

CG does nothing for me. There's no chemistry between them.. and frankly, if a rich guy took me to dinner and had the place cleared out of all other patrons, I'd think he was a jerk. Stop impressing me with your money and show me some character and integrity! Besides, being in there all alone without other diners is kinda... creepy. Which totally sums up the character for me.. he's kinda creepy. First a dinner alone at his house, and then he takes her out, but it's still "secluded?". Creepy. And he was just seen by boatloads of people in the episode where the character was introduced, so it's not like he keeps a low profile to remain anonymous.

Creepy.

However, if he is an immortal, his family could have been shot in Africa for some reason in the process of taking him into slavery or sometime before. It didn't have to occur on the ship. The whoel casting and addition of the character isn't working though, so if there's a tie in, they need to give us better clues soon. Or they need to ditch him, cause the romance ain't working for viewers as far as I can tell. Maybe his only purpose is for Henry to realize he may be losing a chance at having love again.

Some large facilities have their own post office, so theorectically, the stamp might match the logo. I can't imagine that the kind of place that girl went would be like that though, so.... hmmm.

I didn't notice the non sequitur because I do that sort of thing all the time, but now that you point it out... hilarious.

I didn't remember the Numbers connection, but I definitely cried out "yes!" at my screen when I saw David Krumholtz was cast as young Abe. Perfect casting there. 

I agree with the lack of chemistry sentiment, but that may also be in comparison to seeing Henry and Jo or Jo and Dt Hanson interact, still that's significant. I'm hesitant to label "courting" or "seduction" methods as creepy, if only because anything can be seen that way if the advances are unwelcome. Considering how many of the audience members find Alana and CGJ's pairing unwelcome, naturally it'd be seen as "creepy". But this all goes with my feeling that that storyline hasn't been handled well, but I don't know where to put the blame, maybe both writing and acting. I mean, taking someone to a place you're tearing down in a week? How romantic... Not.

Great catch about Abe being just as much in the dark about his mother's whereabouts as Henry. I didn't read the scene that way, but I like it. Also glad that Henry snapped out of his grief to a degree when Abe pointed out that he lost Abigail too. Romantic love is not the end all be all, I'm glad Henry's been written as placing his child first (in a healthy way). 

In regards to the look at the end that Henry gave Jo, I'm still figuring out how I feel about that. I like them as close friends and partners, while I could see Jo and Henry together earlier in the season as a possibility, I've gotten used to them as platonic. I'm curious to see how things pan out. I imagine some overlap with Abigail mystery and Jo and Henry coupling (if it happens), as either a road block or permission.

Edited by Check Sanity
  • Love 4

Did the threat to retry the guy already in jail and get him MORE time make any sense?  Why would they retry someone serving a crime he's been convicted for?  Even if there wasn't such a thing as double jeopardy which there is why WOULD they retry?  They either keep him in prison and he has to complete his sentence or they find evidence of his innocense and vacate his conviction.   I have to be honest, I watch show but I don't think it's very good.  Very little makes sense and I don't mean anything dealing with the immortality part.  I just accept that as the truth in this universe; but why would a cop think a guy killed somebody for having stolen 9000 dollars but didn't take the money back? The edges of the cash are curled so it is drug money.  What?   The show does dumb things like that all the time. This isn't even the dumbest stuff.   

I was hoping Cuba G Jr was as some have speculated and immortal too but it doesn't jibe well with his ghetto kid story but he could be lying.  I guess his 10yo brother COULD have been shot by the slavers raiding his village.  So it's still a possibility.  The kid could have been shot BEFORE he was dragged to the ship so it doesn't matter a kid wasn't in the flashback.

• Love 2
(edited)

For a moment there, I worried that it was Abigail in the morgue, and my heart broke for both Henry and Abe. I was a little relieved that it wasn't her, for their sakes, but also sad for them because that meant she truly did leave them for whatever reason and in doing so left them (especially Henry) devastated.

I also imagine it must have been tough for Abe, seeing his father so despondent, hearing his father talk about wishing he were dead if only he could actually die... Abe already lost his mother, I'm sure he didn't want to lose his father too. So I'm glad that he finally got through to Henry and helped him to see that Abe was hurting too.

Did the threat to retry the guy already in jail and get him MORE time make any sense?  Why would they retry someone serving a crime he's been convicted for?  Even if there wasn't such a thing as double jeopardy which there is why WOULD they retry?  They either keep him in prison and he has to complete his sentence or they find evidence of his innocense and vacate his conviction.

That was definitely a moment that gave me pause. I was trying to figure out why they would add more time for a crime he's already been convicted of, and if that was even something they could do after 30 years. The victim's still dead, they still think that guy did it, what's really changed except knowing for sure that it was him? (If they had found solid evidence linking Eddie to the crime.) Can they tack on extra time for the same crime 30 years after the fact? It doesn't seem possible.

The edges of the cash are curled so it is drug money.  What?

That seemed an odd detail to me, but I just figured it was something I didn't know. I wonder if they had some extra lines about why the curled cash suggests drug money, but had to cut the lines out of the scene for time constraints? It would seem something that either Jo or Hanson would explain to Henry or Lucas (and by doing so, explain the reasoning to the audience). There must be a reason why they wrote it, otherwise it seems a pretty odd detail to simply make up. But I have no idea. No cop show I've ever watched (that I recall) has ever mentioned curled bills as being some sort of marker for drug money.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

I hope Cuba Gooding Jr. isn't around for good (or until cancellation) because I can't stand him. I don't follow his "career". Does he always talk like that? High pitched, effeminate, weird diction. Or is that supposed to be his interpretation of a rich New York blue blood? It doesn't work.

I have the opposite reaction to him -- if he is in fact an immortal.  In that case his persona is an act.  A secret identity.  On the surface you see this somewhat affected, rich NY blue blood.  But underneath is something very different indeed. 

Jo pursued by two immortals (if Cuba is one).  She is more than just a little special. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The edges of the cash are curled so it is drug money.  What?   

I was wondering if the curled edges meant that the money had been rolled up and used to snort cocaine, like through a straw.  Otherwise, I got nothin'.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 5

CGJ irritates me... a lot. There is this overly smug impression that looks condescending. I haven't realized how much I dislike this until I saw him in this TV Show... then I realized this is his usual way of acting and... well, no.

I don't find it creepy but a bit overdramatic. Hello, you are dating someone who has a lot less money than you. Try not to intimidate them or make them feel inadequate/uncomfortable. People throwing money to impress or to show is a big no-no for me and I'd just retreat if someone acted like this towards me. There is a difference between a gesture and intimidation and he is crossing it.

Oh, that guy could sing veeery nice, I liked it. :)

The murder was weird and the whole time I was thinking "hey, this guy looks like Barty Croutch (David Tenant plays the role in HP and the Goblet of Fire). Also... poor bugger, after 30 odd years in prison, now what?

I can see that somebody MIGHT have used the bills to snort coke although then the dealer would probably not have that money since the buyer is the one to use it that way but even so there has to be a billion reasons why a bill might be curling not JUST drug involvement.  It just didn't make sense. 

I also liked Marshal Marshall in the day.

When I posted earlier I hadn't seen the end of the ep so I didn't know that the end also didn't make legal sense.....If you did what he did i.e. go gunning for someone with what had to be an illegal gun because convicted felons can't get gun licenses, you get  arrested.   You don't get to trade the 30 years you did for a crime you didn't comit for credit toward crimes you did and the cops don't get to decide stuff like that. Now you CAN convince me the DA said I'll make you a deal...you don't sue the city for their shoddy police work landing you in jail and robbing you of 30 years and we will drop the gun charges. 

• Love 1

That was David Krumholtz who played Judd Hirsch's son for several years on Numbers. Genius casting.

plus the nose prosthesis and the New Yawk accent. I guess blue contact lenses was too much.

"What about Eddie?"

"He's served his time."

Yeah, until he surely violated the terms of his parole by getting a gun and discharging it in the general direction of people.  I don't see where the captain has any leeway on this.

That's what I was thinking, but then I figured he must not be on parole because the plea agreement was for "time served." Plus, they added the line about "no charges were being filed" or something. But, yeah, must've been a borrowed gun???
  • Love 1

I was very distracted by the fake nose on DK. He also looked kind of puffy, which was a little disconcerting because I'd just seem him on The Good Wife on Sunday looking very unpuffy.

Creepy.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the charm much, either.

Why would they retry someone serving a crime he's been convicted for?

Isn't that double jeopardy? If the guy was already serving 30 years, it seems a colossal waste of time and money to try him again (for the same crime!).

• Love 1
(edited)

Personally like CGJ and Jo. Not a love of my life relationship but a comfortable relationship to get back into dating with. Knew Detective Hanson actor had been part of a rock group - glad he got a chance to sing. Agree with all that David Krumholtz was great as younger Abe. (ETA - he was raised in working class New York so the accent might be his original) Love Lucas. I just love the feel of this show

Edited by pcta
  • Love 5

The flashbacks: Okay I don't know what the writers are trying to do with Abigail! I wish the writers would quit it.  So she left and never came back? This doesn't sit very well with me. Or maybe she tried to come back but then was kidnapped?!!?! Oh forget it.

Lucas: Best. Night. Ever!

ROFL! I so love him! :)

Isaac and Jo: Hey she is happy! :) That's great. They do have some chemistry together. Not as much as Jo and Henry do, but they aren't together at the moment.

The dead body: Wouldn't people smell the body in the wall over the years?

Detective Hanson: Love that he was singing at the end!!!! Hahaha! I want more of that!!!!

The plot: Wow love the plot!! Love that the young boy saw his bio dad!!! :)

Abe: Woah!!! He didn't throw out anything that his dad had about his mother!!!! The doves?!!?!! So Abigail is still there in the city?!?!

• Love 2

"Most jarring moment:

ROFL! It wasn't like that, but that was really funny. Good one. :)

"And he has it set up as though he's continued to look himself. I wonder how much time he's devoted to it?"

Of course he is looking! He is trying to find his mother! :'(  So heartbreaking! Poor Abe! :( Damn it Abigail!!! I wonder how much time he has devoted to it also.

• Love 1
(edited)

Isn't that double jeopardy? If the guy was already serving 30 years, it seems a colossal waste of time and money to try him again (for the same crime!).

The only explanation I can think of (and I wasn't paying close enough attention) is if he was originally convicted of say Murder in the 2nd degree and they re-charged him with Capital Murder. Or something like that. A legal expert would have to weigh in here on whether the law is that you can't be charged with the same crime or whether you can't be charged for the same event.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think the state gets a second bite at the apple because the charge for the first event turned out to be wrong. It's up to the DA to charge correctly or plea-bargain appropriately. You can't go back and change it because you think it was wrong.

It doesn't really matter here given that the guy got out, but I wish the show would pay a bit more attention to stuff like that. And AdlG was an ADA! Shouldn't she have known? Hee.

• Love 2

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think the state gets a second bite at the apple because the charge for the first event turned out to be wrong. It's up to the DA to charge correctly or plea-bargain appropriately. You can't go back and change it because you think it was wrong.

It doesn't really matter here given that the guy got out, but I wish the show would pay a bit more attention to stuff like that. And AdlG was an ADA! Shouldn't she have known? Hee.

This conversation comes up about the movie Double Jeprdy. Apparently, although it makes a good story, it's all hogwash because she would be charged with a completely separate event when actually killing her husband. (as opposed to the "event" of the first, albeit fake, killing)

Anyway, given how many legal dramas there are on tv, it's bizzarre that no one in the room questioned the plot's premise during the readings.

• Love 1

Nice to see David Krumholtz again!  And as Abe!  I was tickled pink because I still remember Hirsch and Krumholtz on "Numbers".  It was great to see them together again in the same show, even though they didn't have any scenes together.  Krumholtz looked pretty ugly as adult Abe, but I was impressed by how he got Hirsch's manner of speaking and mannerisms down.  Pretty impressive!

So Abigal just took off like that, eh?  I wonder what was the catalyst for her leaving her husband and son behind.  I find it hard to believe that it's the immortality thing that Henry got going.  They seem to be a very loving, happy couple for many years and she seemed to have accepted Henry for what he is.  I don't get why she left, unless she did not leave voluntarily.  Poor Henry!  He looked so out of his mind with fear and not knowing what happened to his wife.  I was glad that Abe came around and pulled him out of his funk.  I wondered how much time Henry spent looking for Abigail.  It's just so sad.

I've seen plenty of police shows that deal with the mummified body in the wall.  Freakin' creepy!

I knew the jailbird was going to go after his former friend with a gun.  It was pretty predictable.

The scenes of Henry and Lucas infiltrating the nightclub was hilarious!  I love how Lucas was so enthusiastic with hanging out with Henry.  Lucas is just too adorable!

I like seeing Jo happily dating this new, rich dude.  It's nice to see her moving on after the death of her husband.  I'm glad this show did not take the traditional route of having the male and female leads falling in love with each other.  I like Jo and Henry as friends and partners rather than anything romantic.  I like Jo and Henry's relationship the way it is.

I hope we find out what happened to Abigail.  Looks like Abe finally got a clue.

• Love 3

The dead body: Wouldn't people smell the body in the wall over the years?

No, because unwashed, drug-addled thrash-band musicians, roadies and fans actually smell worse than a rotting human corpse...

• Love 10

No, because unwashed, drug-addled thrash-band musicians, roadies and fans actually smell worse than a rotting human corpse...

Ohhhhh. Well that explains it!! Thank you! ROFL!

Ah, Marshal Marshall. How I loved In Plain Sight. I squeed when I saw Frederick Weller onscreen. Then I asked when Longmire starts up again. If I can't have both Wellers on my screen full time, one is better than none.

Young Abe was perfection, while we have seen Judd Hirsch onscreen that age, you could really imagine Abe looked like that as a young man.

• Love 3
(edited)

But someone needs to tell Cuba Gooding, Jr. to quit with that permanently wrinkled forehead look. It's not a good look on Justin Bieber or Jaden Smith either.

Well, Cuba is older than those two - so his permanently wrinkled forehead is likely no longer a choice (based on my own experience). Botox, maybe, but that just makes people look scary, imo.

I was wondering if the curled edges meant that the money had been rolled up and used to snort cocaine, like through a straw.  Otherwise, I got nothin'.

I kept waiting for them to turn the money over to the DEA or one of the other agencies involved in the pursuit of the guy whose money it was. It would, likely, test positive for drugs, and he'd openly admitted it was his money.

I so enjoyed seeing DK that I totally forget he and Hirsch played son and father in Num3ers. I was thinking more of Serenity and the Santa Clause, oddly enough.

As for whether or not Cuba is immortal, nothing he said rules that out (there were dangerous slums in NY back in that time period), but I'm inclined to think he's not. Sadly.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2
(edited)

Ioan, Judd, Joel are just pleasant company. Loved David Krumholtz's imitation of Judd Hirsch. I wonder if he perfected between scenes on Numb3rs and Hirsch remembered it and got him the gig as middle aged Abe?

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 3

Abigail left because she was aging and Henry was not.  The proverbial straw could have been the night of clubbing she and Henry went out for a few episodes back, where she was mistaken for his mother...  Seriously, even the least vain woman in the world would have a problem with that.

• Love 7

Yes, and Henry seemed to be in denial about it too, refusing to see how big a problem it was becoming for her. I think he was trying to reassure her that his feelings weren't changed by her appearance, but it had the effect of shutting her down because he couldn't accept how she was feeling. His approach to things seems to be full steam ahead, and if he runs into roadblocks, he tends to just push harder. It works for him in the M.E.'s office, and with the police (because they've decided to put up with him for the sake of the results he gets), but I can see that it would be a major problem in a relationship.

After all, Henry has major abandonment issues, not to mention the terrifying loneliness of inevitably losing everyone and everything over and over again. After Nora, he took a big risk on Abigail and I think he was just too terrified to deal with the idea that she couldn't handle it anymore to even sit down and really talk about how their relationship (or at least the public face of it) might be changing. I see Abigail leaving like that as a desperate act, rather than a callous one. I'm hoping Abe and Henry find her (or at least find out what happened to her) so they can get some closure.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm hoping against hope that they get renewed for another season. This show started slow for me but it's drawn me in and I don't want it to end.

• Love 7

This show already has a lot of ongoing mysteries, and I can't say I'm particularly excited about the Abigail one.

I would argue the Abigail one is one of the existing ongoing mysteries. They've been implying there was more to that since the first episode. So this was just us finally getting some more info on it.

On the one hand, Krumholz's take on Hirsch's mannerisms was good, and not surprising the amount of the time they must have spent together. However, to me it sort of read like an impression, rather than a sincere portrayal. There may have been no way around it...I'm not sure...but something about it stuck out to me. It sort of felt like someone said "hey David does a good Judd impression" and so they cast him plus the insider joke for those who'd get it. And he is a solid actor. But it just read a little schticky to me. I mean, I appreciated that he really did sound like him, but it also sort of took me out of it. It's like if suddenly Bill Hader were cast in a movie about Alan Alda. I know he'd sound like him but...

• Love 2

I think she left to try to find a way to stop aging or even get younger.  I suspect that if the show lasts long enough we'll find out something weird did happen to her and it isn't just that she left, grew old living somewhere else, and died. I bet she DID find the fountain of youth or became a vampire or something but either lost her memory or did something so shameful that she couldn't come back.  Like for instance if she has to kill people to stay young (either as a vampire or something like the science experiment Babara Carrera was in the movie Embryo) she wouldn't be able to face Henry.  I kept thinking about the subplot in the American version of Being  Human where the vampire Aiden's  wife in the 1700's in a wacked out state having just been turned, fed off of her own son and then spent 300 years punishing herself and not re-uniting with Aiden.  Maybe she was afraid she was danger to Abe. 

• Love 1
It would, likely, test positive for drugs, and he'd openly admitted it was his money.

That wouldn't mean anything something like 70-80% of US paper currency tests positive for cocaine.

Ohhhhh. Well that explains it!! Thank you! ROFL!

Jokes aside, there was an article in today's local paper about an elderly lady who lived alone and died, and they only just found her remains two years later.  And that's in the tropics. 

Just my luck to sit next to a woman in the mini-bus who knew all about her, chapter and verse, and how reclusive and anti-social she was, and how every time anyone called her on the phone she changed the number the next day...  The picture in the paper showed a house built on higher ground than those surrounding it, and with the living quarters on the first floor (laundry, storerooms, etc on the ground floor).   I expect the bouquet of putrescine and cadaverine wafted over the neighborhood rather than through it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Marshall Marshall! I wasn't looking at the tv, but I had to when I heard his voice. 

CGj showing off how much money he has is annoying, but it looks like they are starting to set up Jo/Henry. I'm okay with it because it was slow burn and this show will most likely be cancelled and I want them both to be happy. 

I loved Lucas getting all excited to hang out with Henry. "Best night ever!" after Henry high fived him was great. Hansen can sing. 

David Krumholtz was great casting as younger Abe. I never watched Numbers but he looks enough like him (minus the eye color) that I liked it. 

So Abigail did leave them both, that's a shitty thing to do to her son. I get that she was embarrassed to be with Henry, what did Abe do? He's aging normally. If she was kidnapped that could be a reason, but I really don't want that to be a storyline for them to pursue. Bilabial is not an important character to me. I like the present day ones. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

I would argue the Abigail one is one of the existing ongoing mysteries. They've been implying there was more to that since the first episode. So this was just us finally getting some more info on it.

On the one hand, Krumholz's take on Hirsch's mannerisms was good, and not surprising the amount of the time they must have spent together. However, to me it sort of read like an impression, rather than a sincere portrayal. There may have been no way around it...I'm not sure...but something about it stuck out to me. It sort of felt like someone said "hey David does a good Judd impression" and so they cast him plus the insider joke for those who'd get it. And he is a solid actor. But it just read a little schticky to me. I mean, I appreciated that he really did sound like him, but it also sort of took me out of it. It's like if suddenly Bill Hader were cast in a movie about Alan Alda. I know he'd sound like him but...

I thought DK was inspired casting, as well as a lovely in-joke.  My problems were: was that a prosthetic nose (yes, it was), and is DK really that good at imitating Judd Hirsch, or did JH dub it in?  It is undeniable that he did JH's body language perfectly.

• Love 1