Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Try

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

I felt awful, but that scene actually made me laugh so hard. 

I laughed like hell and I like NIN!

It reminded me of Dan Ackroyd carrying out a wish John Belushi has once shared, to have "Flight of the Bumblebees" played at his funeral.

My apologies to everybody but I cashed my limit of thumbs hours ago. Doesn't mean I'm not loving many of these posts! :-D

• Love 2

I'm hoping that Deanna understands that allowing a group like Rick's to enter their community will create problems and that she, as the leader, will have to deal with them. She must recognize that any group of people who have spent two years outside must have psychological issues and she has to have a way to deal with them. No sane person waves a gun at a crowd of people and spouts gibberish like "fight or die" and expects to be taken seriously. Rick is damaged at this point and needs help. The more moderate members have to step up and lead. Glenn, Maggie & Michonne never had to carry the weight Rick did outside and now that they are in an environment that is somewhat safe, they can be real assets. Rick needs months of off duty time to just be a father and get his wits about him. Deanna needs to understand that as leader, she shouldn't have given Rick a responsible position like constable without getting him some help.

Sasha is damaged as well but she does have a point as far as killing walkers. Every one she kills today is a threat eliminated for tomorrow. Maybe this is how she's coping. I'm really glad the show is showing the effects of living like these people have. No one could face these terrors and then integrate into a society without some difficulty.

• Love 12

You wonder. "There are a lot more than there used to be," per Aaron.

Well, we've already seen psychopaths out there just roaming around. It could just be an a$$hole leaving bodies as they go. And since walkers roam around, they wouldn't have to be led there by another person or group. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

Okay. The surgeon.

A bad surgeon is worse than no surgeon at all.

He is a bad surgeon.

He's up for play.

A drunk surgeon is worse than no surgeon. What is he doing, civil war era surgeries ? You need anesthesia for a surgery, and without an anesthesiologist you may as well be doing seat of your pants field surgery. He would just make things worse. I refuse to believe his surgery suite is rudimentary at the best. And this idiot is drunk. I'll take my chances outside.

• Love 6

Also, kikismom the casserole dish DID have a cover, the note was propped up on it.

Thank you! I see the handle now.

Seemed kinda odd to leave it uncovered. But damn I hope just because Deanna doesn't want it she doesn't leave it there. Tuna casserole unrefrigerated...she'll need a lot more scented candles soon.

• Love 1

I'm hoping that Deanna understands that allowing a group like Rick's to enter their community will create problems and that she, as the leader, will have to deal with them. She must recognize that any group of people who have spent two years outside must have psychological issues and she has to have a way to deal with them. No sane person waves a gun at a crowd of people and spouts gibberish like "fight or die" and expects to be taken seriously. Rick is damaged at this point and needs help. The more moderate members have to step up and lead. Glenn, Maggie & Michonne never had to carry the weight Rick did outside and now that they are in an environment that is somewhat safe, they can be real assets. Rick needs months of off duty time to just be a father and get his wits about him. Deanna needs to understand that as leader, she shouldn't have given Rick a responsible position like constable without getting him some help.

Or she is just as naive as the rest of ASZ appears to be.

She cannot expect him to be okay immediately being constable of a "civilization," and I hope his family can and will help him.

• Love 1

I really don't get why people think Jessie has to look like a Victoria Secret model, have the brains of Einstein and Amelia Earhart type of adventures to share to be the object of someone's love at first sight. My boyfriend is no Daniel Craig (my free pass), he has a good hard working blue collar job (nothing exciting), a regular car (I think it's a 10 year old Toyota) and nice house on a corner lot that he remodeled all by his self. But the first time he sat across from me and smiled I thought "I'm in trouble" Perhaps when Rick opened that door he saw a Victoria Secret model with the brains of Einstein and interesting stories to tell.

• Love 7

Sasha and her bullet-wasting are boring me now.

Me too. I get that she lost her brother and lover in a relatively short time span, but she doesn't get a monopoly on grief. Michonne lost her child. 

So Deanna is basically like Dawn in the sense that she doesn't care what people inside do to each other as long as it's indoors and away from the walkers?

Nicholas has got to go.  Now.  Watching him lie about what happened to Noah made me picture the walkers ripping him to shreds.

I will go down with the Richonne ship if I have to, but I don't want Rick with Jessie.  I don't want Jessie as a regular, period.  For God's sake we already got rid of two dumb blondes on this show (Andrea and Beth), do we REALLY need another?!

• Love 2

My problem is, this whole ASZ story has just been...disappointing, more than anything else. There are honestly not enough fucks I couldn't give about the  Rick/Jessie/Pete story. Whether Rick is acting the way he did because he luuurrvs here or not, I do not care about this story. Yes, I get it, even in the ZA, people are the worst beings on the planet. Been there, done that, bought the anvil.

Another story I don't care for? Coral and Enid. Though I might be biased, since Coral and Rick are 2 of my least favorite characters on the show.

I really hope Deanna isn't as much of a fool as many here think she is; I really hope they surprise us in the finale. So far it seems like the show is going out of it's way to prove Gabriel was right to Deanna after all (Nicholas' IT'S THEIR FAULT! testimony, Rick's crazy behavior, etc), without us showing her that she is seeing another side to Rick and his crew. It's like bad sitcom writing. I like to think Deanna's comment to Rick at the end about things needing to change means she agrees with Rick, that there have to be some changes around ASZ, but since the show seems to have a 100% predictability score this season...I doubt it.

I really like the Sasha/Michone/Rosita stuff. I really hope we see more scenes between the 3 of them (and as others have pointed out, I hope us seeing Rosita doesn't mean she'll be dead next episode). While one weakness of such a large cast is that not everyone can appear in every episode, you can have for some interesting mixes and combinations of characters. We def got that with these 3. I just hope Sasha STOPS WASTING SO MANY DAMN BULLETS!

Did they (the showrunners) honestly use a red balloon flying away to represent loss of innocence? It was a cliche when Desperate Housewives used it a decade ago.

• Love 3

CDB have not been outside for 2 years. They were at the farm for a month or two, then "out there" for like 4 months, then they were safe behind the prison walls. They were safe at the prison, with clean water and plenty food for a LONG time, long enough to grow crops, long enough for Rick to get his head together. Then, they lost that and have been "out there" for a couple months. Yes, they are tougher than the AZShats but they have not been living like wild animals for two whole years, even if your string together all the separate times of being "out there".

Edited by diebartdie
  • Love 5

Oh man, this dude at work had the best theory I've heard yet.

He thinks Carol kept prodding Rick about Pete because she wants to get him exiled to pay him back for doing it to her.

I don't think that's what happening, but it would be kind of awesome if it was.

• Love 7

Was the baby monitor shown just to explain that Judith was not forgotten? Or will it return?

Because it would be great to use outside, while you were exploring a house or something and wanted an early warning device to know if someone was coming in. Or recreate the blender gun theft to identify who is watching you...make a show of going to some wreckage with a a mysterious bag, walk out without it, but leave the camera thing,  go off a distance and watch through the monitor to see if someone has been tracking you and takes the bag.[snip]

I think it was another instance of Gratuitous Electricity to establish ASZ=Cush

I guess it could be rigged to be battery/other operated (hey, if the Amish can make KitchenAids run on propane so that they can still have hands-free blending but not "use electricity", I'm not ruling anything out), but it seems like something made to be battery operated would work better for that scenario. Baby monitor sets are generally plugged in in the baby's room, with the receiver usually able to be AC or DC. 

In any other episode I still think you're right - it's inclusion is foreshadowing of some other use later. But this episode also gave us Garage Door Dismissals, mystery-helium balloons, and laundry in laundry baskets. So I'm chalking it up to that. 

I can be - and often am - wrong, however.

• Love 2

Because if Rick has his way, CDB will take that town for their own. Too bad Rick's dick was put in charge of planning the take over. Also, kikismom the casserole dish DID have a cover, the note was propped up on it.

I'm confused about Rick's take over plan. He doesn't believe in exiling people because they might become a threat later on. Yet, when Glenn suggested teaching the ASZ residents survival skills, he seemed to think it was too late for that. So what does he plan on doing once he takes over, exactly.
  • Love 2
This is silly, but I cannot help but ask...in the picture in the recap, we see a still of Carol's casserole on the porch. Leaving food on the porch is weird ( I know Carol didn't want to encounter them but put the food on a folding chair or something). But it didn't even have a cover/lid? Eeeuuuw! Is ASZ so Disneyfied that they don't even have bugs or mice? Who puts a gift dish of hot food on the floor outdoors uncovered? I wouldn't eat it either.

Carol put a lid on the casserole. I'm not sure the lid was the exact right size and slipped down below the edge of the bowl, but it was there. As for just leaving it outside, when my grandmother died, one of her neighbors left food for us outside her (my grandmother's) door. She said she didn't want to bother us, but wanted to make sure we ate.

Edited by Rosiejuliemom
  • Love 1

My problem is, this whole ASZ story has just been...disappointing, more than anything else. There are honestly not enough fucks I couldn't give

I really hope Deanna isn't as much of a fool as many here think she is; I really hope they surprise us in the finale. So far it seems like the show is going out of it's way to prove Gabriel was right to Deanna after all (Nicholas' IT'S THEIR FAULT! testimony, Rick's crazy behavior, etc), without us showing her that she is seeing another side to Rick and his crew. It's like bad sitcom writing.

YES. The withholding of key information when logically this group should be holding meetings, sharing ALL the information about the outside (as someone said upthread) and figuring out how to find the happy place between la la land and "kill everyone all the time" is supremely frustrating. I don't want to feel like I'm watching Three's Company. I don't buy that there's no show if everyone shares information. There would still be conflict, still be room for character building etc. if both groups talked. Hell, CDB should be holding walker kill classes and Deana could figure out a way to put an effective "government" in place with their help.

• Love 9
A drunk surgeon is worse than no surgeon. What is he doing, civil war era surgeries ? You need anesthesia for a surgery, and without an anesthesiologist you may as well be doing seat of your pants field surgery. He would just make things worse. I refuse to believe his surgery suite is rudimentary at the best. And this idiot is drunk. I'll take my chances outside.

He would be nice to have, and I still say they should try isolating and detoxing him first. But if he refuses to comply, he has to go. I would never turn a blind eye to his abuse in order to have a doctor, nor would I put up with a drunk one. It's not like they would be without ANY medical care. Maggie knows quite a bit of what her father taught her, and Carol ostensibly studied under him a bit as well. And all of those books they have? Surely there's something useful there.

• Love 3

Loved the episode, in all its imperfect efforts.

• Glenn is absolutely the man, and Nicolas has an ass-whupping coming.
  • The whole Daryl/Aaron segment was wonderfully disturbing. Someone tied a naked woman to a tree to be gut-munched by walkers. Hello, Alexandria? Reality calling.
  • Young teen love is ALWAYS cheesy and awkward. I liked the Enid and Carl interlude because of the weird juxtaposition of first hormone lust rush vs. walking corpses.
  • There's no such thing as a brilliant DRUNK surgeon. "Gosh, thanks Doc, but I think I'll just go ahead and keep my festering appendix, if it's all the same to you. You can put the scalpel down now." Turning a blind eye to Pete's egregious behavior exposes all of Deanna's high-minded talk of A NEW COMMUNITY (*cue trumpet herald*) for the irrational bullshit it really is.
  • Sasha. She's completely nuts, and coping in the most proactive way her tired brain will let her. Poor baby needs a nap, and her scene with Michonne and Rosita was excellent: cardigans--the must-have fashion accessory for hand-to-hand zombie combat. You go, girls.
  • Would have liked a tiny peek at: 1) Eugene sitting vigil next to Tara (and BTW, if Pete is so indispensable, shouldn't he be actually doctoring? Have we ever seen him in that context? Looks to me like all he does is wander around with a bottle in his hand), and Maggie silently watching FPP through a rifle scope.
  • Rick is nuts, but not altogether wrong in his assertions. Michonne clocked him to protect him and de-escalate the situation. Not now, baby, Not like this.
  • Co-sign that a great many elements aren't working due to rushing. I don't buy Rick's clueless desperate adoration of Jessie because there just hasn't been enough time to develop it. TPTB could have skipped the entire cops-in-a-hospital thread entirely, and thrown all the time and effort needed to develop the current situation more fully. (As long as Beth got offed somewhere along the way. She's still dead, BTW).
  • Love 10

I laughed like hell and I like NIN!

It reminded me of Dan Ackroyd carrying out a wish John Belushi has once shared, to have "Flight of the Bumblebees" played at his funeral.

My apologies to everybody but I cashed my limit of thumbs hours ago. Doesn't mean I'm not loving many of these posts! :-D

When I was in the front row of a NIN concert a million years ago Trent Reznor leaned over the stage and kissed me. Ha!  Anything NIN takes me back to that moment.  It was awesome.  Well for me, the boyfriend would have jumped on stage and put his dock martin up Trent's butt if he could have gotten through the security...haha

• Love 5

Can't believe Glenn would side with the ASZholes knowing they purposely leave people behind. I'm glad now the Overthrow Club only includes Daryl, Carol and Rick because Glenn and Michonne are way too comfortable with their sleep number beds and toothbrushes

• Love 1

I do blame Rick for Beth's death. He was the leader in charge of the rescue. I blame him for Herschel too. He got played by the Governor. They had zero plan at the farm if shit went sideways and the same at the prison. I feel like the show has become Rick Grimes the downward spiral and I just don't find him that compelling. I wanted to see our group become stronger and smarter together. Tough but fair. Instead it seems like Carol and Rick are ready to break out the big guns and slaughter the town. They've been on the road too long and now they have turned into the dangerous ones. Road Warrior with zombies. It's just too predictable.

I guess I would have prefered if the show took more of a Lost type route. Decent people for the most part trying to survive. I always wished TWD did the same type of flashback episodes as Lost. Really see their backstories. I thought the episode with Michone and the baby daddy was really interesting. Half scary zombies and half who were these people before the world went to hell. I want to see Glen on a college campus when it hits or Eugene working at a video store living with his Mom. Tyrese and Sasha at a baseball game. How the hell did Merle and Daryl end up at the first camp site?

Anything but this ugliness week after week. How can we kill another person this week and make it look cool? How can we off a new herd of zombies and make it look cool? You know what would be really cool? Lets have a mother who just lost her son play a NIN 's song. Seriously show? Who writes this drek? After this episode it just really hit me that this show is never going to be clever or well written. The zombie gore fest visuals are A+ but the writing is way below average. I never thought I would get bored watching zombie heads explode. I held out hoping one day I would at least get a Daryl shower scene. The writers can't even throw me that bone. I am out.

• Love 11
I really hope Deanna isn't as much of a fool as many here think she is; I really hope they surprise us in the finale. So far it seems like the show is going out of it's way to prove Gabriel was right to Deanna after all (Nicholas' IT'S THEIR FAULT! testimony, Rick's crazy behavior, etc), without us showing her that she is seeing another side to Rick and his crew. It's like bad sitcom writing. I like to think Deanna's comment to Rick at the end about things needing to change means she agrees with Rick, that there have to be some changes around ASZ, but since the show seems to have a 100% predictability score this season...I doubt it.

I hope you're right because that would be a real surprise and make a for a great direction.

I really don't get why people think Jessie has to look like a Victoria Secret model, have the brains of Einstein and Amelia Earhart type of adventures to share to be the object of someone's love at first sight. My boyfriend is no Daniel Craig (my free pass), he has a good hard working blue collar job (nothing exciting), a regular car (I think it's a 10 year old Toyota) and nice house on a corner lot that he remodeled all by his self. But the first time he sat across from me and smiled I thought "I'm in trouble" Perhaps when Rick opened that door he saw a Victoria Secret model with the brains of Einstein and interesting stories to tell.

amen to that. When you reach a certain age you like what like. For years I have heard men cheat down. No they just come to realize that beauty is what you like. For me I like AB, round face a little short about a size 8. One AB over 5 supermodels.
  • Love 1

For years I have heard men cheat down. No they just come to realize that beauty is what you like. For me I like AB, round face a little short about a size 8. One AB over 5 supermodels.

The old saying goes "show me a beautiful woman and I will show you at least one man tired of putting up with her s__"

• Love 2

When Chris Hardwick appeared at a commercial break and said that one of his guests was Chandler Riggs in his first appearance on Talking Dead.... I was hoping that meant that Carl was going to finally buy it.  I was expecting Carl to lose his virginity in that hollow tree with creepy girl, and then get eaten as soon as he left.  I am so disappointed.

• Love 1

I don't necessarily think that Jessie needs to be a model/rocket scientist/part-time bear wrangler in order to be a love interest for Rick. My problem is that this entire thing is too rushed. CDB has been in Alexandria a couple weeks? Maybe a month? It seems like their entire connection is based on the fact that she cut his hair and brought Judith to him at a party. If the writers were setting this up as Rick desperately grabbing at straws for something normal instead of a white knight saving his maiden fair, I would find this to be much more palatable.

CDB have not been outside for 2 years. They were at the farm for a month or two, then "out there" for like 4 months, then they were safe behind the prison walls. They were safe at the prison, with clean water and plenty food for a LONG time, long enough to grow crops, long enough for Rick to get his head together. Then, they lost that and have been "out there" for a couple months. Yes, they are tougher than the AZShats but they have not been living like wild animals for two whole years, even if your string together all the separate times of being "out there".

I thought they were out in the wild for 8 months between the farm and the prison? Not 2 years, but a decent chunk of time. I also wouldn't call their first few months at the prison easy living, what with the Governor and all. I just want someone in the group to flat out tell the AZShats that they have been through things that very few in Alexandria could imagine in their worst nightmares.

Oh man, this dude at work had the best theory I've heard yet.

He thinks Carol kept prodding Rick about Pete because she wants to get him exiled to pay him back for doing it to her.

I don't think that's what happening, but it would be kind of awesome if it was.

0_o That would be the dickest of dick moves for Carol to pull, but sweet Jesus would I be glued to the screen for every single second of that revelation.

Edited by Rosiejuliemom
  • Love 4

Can't believe Glenn would side with the ASZholes knowing they purposely leave people behind.

When did he ever give any indication he would side with them? To me, it seems like he was trying to convince Rick that they (Rick's crew) needs to try and work things out as best as they can to make ASZ work, since right now, it's the best option for all of them.

As bad as the NIN song being played was...imagine if the first song had been "And now you die" or whatever the lyric was for the song that was playing in the van when they left ASZ last week...

• Love 2

I always wished TWD did the same type of flashback episodes as Lost.

Yes indeed. But I don't think the show runners are interested in exploring the origins of the outbreak, which is too bad.

Gosh, Daryl had already forgotten his prime directive: to find a pasta maker for Mrs. Neidermeyer! What the heck is he doing out there with Aaron? "Sorry, Mrs. Neidermeyer. We didn't find a pasta maker, but we did find a dead woman tied to a tree. Her innards were all exposed and torn apart. Smelled like a dead deer's gut sack. Mrs. Neidermeyer? Are you OK? You look like you're going to be sick."

And I'm totally with Michonne on the laundry thing. Some mornings when I wake up it's all I can do to look at my laundry basket filled with clothes I have to fold and put away. And I hope Michonne is clearing away space on her mantel because her act of knocking Rick out cold has just earned her the Alexandrian of the Year award.

So how long has the group been in Alexandria? A few days? A few weeks? Long enough to put a stake through the heart of the status quo, it seems

• Love 1

And while I realize Rick owes Tara nothing, and he could have killed her right after Terminus, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that after all the talk of "family," he didn't bat an eye when multiple people told him Tara could die if he killed her husband. He didn't even act like it was a difficult choice but one he would make. He just did not care. 

If Tara dies because of this then I don't think I will ever be able to forgive him, because this isn't about survival, or hard choices - this is about he wants what he wants, and screw anybody else.

If Tara dies now because of the fight, since Dr. Porch-Dick is alive, it will be the doctor's fault. (not counting her injuries being beyond help) If Dr. Drunky refuses to help Tara further because he got into a fight with Rick and has been officially outed as an abuser-I'm sure it has been unspoken around town until now-that is no way on Rick. If anything, that would prove that just separating him from his family isn't going to work because he's going to retaliate to any insult with refusing care.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 7

I thought they were out in the wild for 8 months between the farm and the prison? Not 2 years, but a decent chunk of time. I also wouldn't call their first few months at the prison easy living, what with the Governor and all. I just want someone in the group to flat out tell the AZShats that they have been through things that very few in Alexandria could imagine in their worst nightmares.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was 8 months because Lori was ready to pop.
  • Love 4

If Tara dies now because of the fight, since Dr. Porch-Dick is alive, it will be the doctor's fault. (not counting her injuries being beyond help) If Dr. Drunky refuses to help Tara further because he got into a fight with Rick and has been officially outed as an abuser-I'm sure it has been unspoken around town until now-that is no way on Rick. If anything, that would prove that just separating him from his family isn't going to work because he's going to retaliate to any insult with refusing care.

Rick pushed and pushed throughout the episode, without even taking a second to question what he was doing when multiple people warned him about Tara. That's why I will always give him some share of the blame. He clearly didn't give a shit whether Tara lived or died, and yes, I get that he owes Tara nothing, but it still turned my stomach, because he knows she's important to a number of people around him, and he just does not care. 

He doesn't seem to care about anything now but Jessie. Nothing at all.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 6

Thank you! I see the handle now.

Seemed kinda odd to leave it uncovered. But damn I hope just because Deanna doesn't want it she doesn't leave it there. Tuna casserole unrefrigerated...she'll need a lot more scented candles soon.

Not only that, but leaving food outside at night draws raccoons.  Just think what'll happen to their city if they get overrun by raccoons!

• Love 7

What is the Walkers with the carved W's are like that? They all lived in ASZ, those mansions are their homes. For whatever reason, they were exiled. W's were carved on their foreheads as a warning, and they were dropping at Noah's family community. They of course spraypainted the 'Unfair Wolves" thing on the wall.

They probably started heading back to ASZ for revenge maybe, to take it back, but got killed in the process. However, their sixth sense is still kicked in - like Morgan's wife - and they are all slowly heading back to ASZ. That's why we keep seeing more and more W's on walker foreheads. Because if you exile people, you aren't going to simply drop them outside the front door. If you do, whenever you go for a run, they can attack you.

That's my theory as to why we keep seeing more and more W's popping up.

That is a really interesting idea.  Maybe the W walkers are the exiles.  

What about the girl tied to the tree?

Seemed kinda odd to leave it uncovered.

It did have a cover when she was carrying it.  Continuity error?

I have to add that I loved Chandler Riggs on TTD.  What a cutie pie.  Loved how he blushed when talking about the tree scene.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

When did he ever give any indication he would side with them? To me, it seems like he was trying to convince Rick that they (Rick's crew) needs to try and work things out as best as they can to make ASZ work, since right now, it's the best option for all of them.

As bad as the NIN song being played was...imagine if the first song had been "And now you die" or whatever the lyric was for the song that was playing in the van when they left ASZ last week...

If you are not voting for a hostile takeover and violent smack down, you are on their side :)

Aiden's Memorial Playlist

Evil Hearted You

Evil Walks

A Touch of Evil

All song by ghost Beth for added torture

CDB have not been outside for 2 years. They were at the farm for a month or two, then "out there" for like 4 months,

They're on day 544+ of the ZA according to the TWD wikia. So 18 months-ish.

• Love 1

YES. The withholding of key information when logically this group should be holding meetings, sharing ALL the information about the outside (as someone said upthread) and figuring out how to find the happy place between la la land and "kill everyone all the time" is supremely frustrating. I don't want to feel like I'm watching Three's Company. I don't buy that there's no show if everyone shares information. There would still be conflict, still be room for character building etc. if both groups talked. Hell, CDB should be holding walker kill classes and Deana could figure out a way to put an effective "government" in place with their help.

Im reading Children of the Sky by Verner Vinge it's a sequel to A Fire Upon the Deep but in CotS, there is one person who knows exactly what happened to cause everyone to be stranded where they are but everyone else does not know exactly what happened because they were in cold sleep. Now that they are all awake, the folks that were asleep before look at all the evidence of what went down before and interpret the situation as exactly opposite of what REALLY happened. Anyway, as you say, there is no reason for characters not to share everything they know in exact detail because people, being people, will see things the way they want to.

Can anyone be sure if this is good or Carl is making a huge mistake? I like the idea of Carl having his first love, and Gale seemed to imply that it would work.

So...did she lure him? Should we be worried or is it safe to allow him a crush?

I wish I knew.  I like the idea of Carl getting any moments of normal that he can.  I just don't want his crush to turn into him parroting her world-view "it's their world" because that seems like a dangerous way to live.  (As if the rest of it is unicorns and rainbows.  I know.)  

Yes indeed. But I don't think the show runners are interested in exploring the origins of the outbreak, which is too bad.

Isn't that sort of what the new show covers?  

Not only that, but leaving food outside at night draws raccoons. Just think what'll happen to their city if they get overrun by raccoons!

And Deanna is no Leslie Knope. She could not lead a town with raccoon devastation in its history.
  • Love 4

I get what you're saying but I don't think Jessie knew he was talking about killing or even exiling. Just was watching those scenes in the replay and she asks him "what are you going to do put him in jail" and he avoids the question. Then after seeing the boy with the red balloon he goes back in and talks about wanting to protect her and her sons. He never says exile or kills. She responds "yes" after talked about protection and she asked him if he'd offer that to anyone else or just her. When her husband comes in, she tells him to leave. To me that means she knows (finally) that someone is there to protect her and she has the power to ask him to leave. 

So I think she just interpreted all of that as protection, not killing. 

My question is: do they have helium in that place or something? I saw the balloon and was like, "what the heck?"

(I know, everyone else has thought provoking analysis and I'm fixated on the feasibility of a balloon.)

Maybe they keep the helium with the booze in a box labeled "Stuff we absolutely do not need during a Zombie Apocalypse". Seriously, how much booze was available in this tiny housing tract in VA when the apocalypse hit?  Was someone actually stupid enough to risk lives on a run to bring back booze?  I actually find the helium more believable because I could see some soccer mom having it in the house before everything hit the fan and then no one bothering to use it, so it's still there. But where the heck is Pete getting all that alcohol? At the rate he drinks, any previous stashes should be gone and I cannot wrap my head around anyone bringing it back to him. I mean isn't that like the perfect rehab? You want booze ? Hey, it's free. Just brave the hoards of Walking Dead  to grab some bottles, and it's all yours. 

Maybe it's just me, but that has to be the very best alcoholism cure EVER. 

• Love 3

The booze thing has such an easy fix though! All they had to do was show a "still" in Pete's garage and him drawing off some for a drink. Sheesh, even Battlestar Galactica had a still scene! Of course if there was a still we'd all be in here "where is he getting corn for that still?!?!? I dont believe that, there is no way he'd have that much corn! Stupid show!" because THAT is how we roll.

Edited by diebartdie
  • Love 5
I do blame Rick for Beth's death. He was the leader in charge of the rescue.

And he handled the rescue effectively. How was he to know Beth was going to attack Dawn with the world's smallest pair of scissors? Beth got herself killed, as far as I'm concerned. 

I don't necessarily think that Jessie needs to be a model/rocket scientist/part-time bear wrangler in order to be a love interest for Rick. My problem is that this entire thing is too rushed. CDB has been in Alexandria a couple weeks? Maybe a month? It seems like their entire connection is based on the fact that she cut his hair and brought Judith to him at a party. If the writers were setting this up as Rick desperately grabbing at straws for something normal instead of a white knight saving his maiden fair, I would find this to be much more palatable.

Indeed. I wouldn't be bothered by her as a love interest in general. She's pretty enough, she seems very nice and helpful. But they've been there, what? A week? And he's suddenly SO into her that he is completely blinded by rescuing her? He now doesn't give a shit about anyone else and wouldn't rescue any other woman being abused? It's just ridiculous. If he was focused more on the abuser (Pete) than the abusee it would come off a lot more authentic and palatable to me. Who wants an abuser running loose? Oh, oh, but it's only wrong because he's abusing JESSIE. Give me a break. 

• Love 15

Maybe they keep the helium with the booze in a box labeled "Stuff we absolutely do not need during a Zombie Apocalypse". Seriously, how much booze was available in this tiny housing tract in VA when the apocalypse hit?  Was someone actually stupid enough to risk lives on a run to bring back booze?  I actually find the helium more believable because I could see some soccer mom having it in the house before everything hit the fan and then no one bothering to use it, so it's still there. But where the heck is Pete getting all that alcohol? At the rate he drinks, any previous stashes should be gone and I cannot wrap my head around anyone bringing it back to him. I mean isn't that like the perfect rehab? You want booze ? Hey, it's free. Just brave the hoards of Walking Dead  to grab some bottles, and it's all yours. 

Maybe it's just me, but that has to be the very best alcoholism cure EVER. 

It wasn't for Bob, and he got poor Zach killed doing it.

• Love 1

I don't mind that Rick's attracted to Jessie, its more that his level of attraction went from 0 to 100 in a day. Having him say he wouldn't be there if it was anyone else being abused is what makes it annoying and stupid. They are saying that if the other pantry worker, Olivia was being abused by her spouse, Rick wouldn't care. He's only obsessed over Pete because he wants to bang Jessie. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 11

The more I think about it, the more I believe his attitude is supposed to be about taking care of her in the future.  Just like now, people love to say "why doesn't she leave him?" but they aren't usually willing to take said person and their kids in or anything.  Maybe ASZ doesn't just want a doctor, they don't want to deal with another single parent needing more resources or something.  Rick's offering to do something about Pete, AND take care of her and her son. 

Why exactly does Rick need to "take care of" Jesse and her sons? Its not as if when Pete is gone, Jesse will struggle to pay the bills and the bank will come and repossess her home. Also if Pete is gone, Jesse's family will need less resources not more. When Ed was killed, no one stepped in and took care of Carol and Sophia.

• Love 8

This story arc could have been about the groups learning from each other and then perhaps some dissension within. Instead we are supposed to think Deanna's group is stupid because they are not dying and/or starving in the woods somewhere, and I think they are doing just fine. Look at all the ammo they have. It's true that they don't save each other in a crisis, but since someone in Rick's groups dies almost weekly, they don't do that good a job of saving either. 

The difference for me is trying to save me but can't and leaving me to die on purpose. Big difference. Huge.

• Love 5